Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bagpiper
Topic Author

A.net In The Map Of The Internet

Wed May 23, 2007 12:47 pm

Ok, first of all, this is a GREAT source of entertainment: http://xkcd.com/

Make sure you read the warning at the bottom of the page  Smile

Anyways, looking at one day's comic ( http://xkcd.com/c256.html ), I started wondering where A.net would be. Here's the map of the internet:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/online_communities.png

So, here's the same map, with added coordinate lines.

http://go-host.info/images/online_communities.png

Here's my idea of where some forums from A.net fall into. Note the red circle outlining the compass is to highlight it in case you missed it. Might make the map make more sense.

http://go-host.info/images/online_communities_marked.png

Agree or disagree?? Feel free to post coordinates where you think Non-Av, Civ-Av, and Tech/Ops would fall into  Smile Maybe I'll compile them later into one big map.

----
The map is copyrighted to xkcd.com, I did not create the map. I only added overlays to it in the later images. All original work credit goes to xkcd.com

GQfluffy

RE: A.net In The Map Of The Internet

Wed May 23, 2007 12:54 pm

I dunno, I'd probably stick Non-av in the Ocean of Sub-Culture and Civ-av in Noob Sea.
This isn't where I parked my car...

futurecaptain

Wed May 23, 2007 2:01 pm

Put non-av in G8, with the "gays of web 2.0", and close to the ever quoted "wikipedia." Also witin close range of the island of Spaaarta which is where us warriors come from to beat down people with stalker-like topics, such as last night.  Smile

Civ-av goes in J8, with "stallman's airship." This island is small and far enough away from the mainland that people might do things, post topics, without thinking to look if someone, somewhere in the world may have wanted to talk about the same thing 2 days ago. These isolated islands are the perfect place for people to discover things already known by the rest of the world. Because these islands are so isolated though children don't realize they don't know everything and 15 yr olds critique the landings of pilots who come in to restock the islands with food from the mainland. This causes distrust and fights between professionals and kids.

Tech-ops is isolated in B3. It is a choice place to be, full of intellectuals calmly debating real issues. These mountain people only come down when necessary, are talked about alot by other people, and not often visited by new people. The mountains of knowledge are too trecherous for many to climb, some who try fall off the cliffs of insanity and are never heard from again.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

futurecaptain

Wed May 23, 2007 2:14 pm

Stick polls in D5, close to Myspace. Here people post alot of words without really saying much. It is acceptable to post simple things such as "I agree" or "I vote for A" or "I like it." This area is easy to get to, but rarely habited. Travellers in the internet world tend to just be passing through, uping post counts because they think that is a good thing. People rarely spend time here.

Site related is in E8, with the islands of "second life" and "third life." The servers go down and then A.net gets a "second life" and on and on. I believe we need a hundreth life island to truly be accurate when it comes to A.net.  Smile

Trip Reports goes in G2, on the "Bay of Angst." Here in this sea port villiage people return from amazing trips and tell stories to the town about their travels. Good or bad, people come after work to hear about wild adventures, how smooth the captain was with the ship, how well the food was cooked, if the vessil was on time. People here book travels based on experiencing the newest forms of transportation so as to be the first to tell the world about it.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

AirTranTUS

Wed May 23, 2007 4:00 pm

I would put the whole site in the "Bay of Angst". Big grin
I love ASO!

MrChips

Wed May 23, 2007 5:00 pm

Overall, I would say A.net would be an insignificant little speck in the middle of G6. I'm part of a couple of those communities; some of them are what you would consider to be "very influential" in terms of internet culture, yet they merit a very small part of the map (Something Awful is one of them).
Time...to un-pimp...ze auto!

bagpiper
Topic Author

Wed May 23, 2007 9:14 pm

Quoting MrChips (Reply 5):
some of them are what you would consider to be "very influential" in terms of internet culture, yet they merit a very small part of the map (Something Awful is one of them).

Quite like you?

duck   duck   duck 

[email protected]

Thu May 24, 2007 12:40 am

I'd say creating that map was a massive waste of time...  duck 

[email protected]
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

c172akula

Fri May 25, 2007 1:20 am

Quoting MrChips (Reply 5):
I'm part of a couple of those communities; some of them are what you would consider to be "very influential" in terms of internet culture, yet they merit a very small part of the map (Something Awful is one of them).

I too was thinking that Something Awful should have a bigger island, something on par with what Fark has next to them. At least they gave us an island, just like some goons wanted to buy!

However I was glad that I cannot detect any area given to Ebaums!