Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JAL777
Topic Author

Anybody Been To Uluru?

Mon May 28, 2007 1:22 am

Hello.

I'm killing off a bunch of AA frequent flier miles with a trip to Australia and New Zealand and would like to spend a night or two checking out Uluru. Has anyone ever been? Where can I stay that is reasonably priced (it seems everything there costs a fortune)? I will be bringing my mountain bike so I plan to do some of that.

Thanks!  

[Edited 2007-05-27 18:33:17]

baroque

RE: Anybody Been To Uluru?

Mon May 28, 2007 2:37 am

I guess landing twice at Uluru at about 2 am on the old East West flights to and from Perth hardly counts!! Not even something that size is visible on a dark outback night!! Reason for the landings, was that the F28 could not make Perth non stop from Sydney. Middle of the night, so they could get enough lift to take off!!

ScarletHarlot

Mon May 28, 2007 2:45 am

We went there two years ago - in fact, we stayed at Longitude 131 which is the collection of 'tents' in the photo you posted. (We stayed in the tent in the front row on the right, second from the left.  Smile ) It was pretty darned amazing. I don't know what to tell you about where to stay - we treated ourselves to Longitude since we didn't pay for our plane ticket (Alaska miles) or most of our hotels (Starwood Preferred Guest)! It is all run by the same group - check out www.voyages.com.au.

It was well worth the trip and I am very glad we went. If you get the chance - go!
But that was when I ruled the world

JAL777
Topic Author

Mon May 28, 2007 4:41 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 1):
I guess landing twice at Uluru at about 2 am on the old East West flights to and from Perth hardly counts!!

How long ago was this?

bananaboy

Mon May 28, 2007 8:06 am

I drove there (twice!!) from Melbourne / Adelaide so we stayed at the campground. Did have a look round the Pioneer and The Lost Camel which seemed ok. Everything is relatively over - priced for what it is, but then you are in the middle of no where and don't have much choice!

http://www.ayersrockresort.com.au/accommodation/

Quoting JAL777 (Thread starter):
Where can I stay that is reasonably priced (it seems everything there costs a fortune)?

If you have the time, money and inclination, consider hiring a van and driving out there. Although it's not off-road or anything, I wouldn't have missed that part of my stay in Oz for the world... I don't think I'll ever forget how amazing the scenery was on the 2 - 3 day drive. I have done it twice and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Have fun.

Mark

[Edited 2007-05-28 01:08:01]
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

melpax

Mon May 28, 2007 8:04 pm

Quoting BananaBoY (Reply 4):

That's a huge drive, even by Oz standards! Mind you, it's one drive I'm thinking of doing at some stage.

I went there on a school trip around 16 years ago, one of the great wonders. There were camping grounds there with toilet/showe blocks close by. This would be the best if you're after cheap accomodation, although you could try wotif.com & search under Ayers Rock/Uluru for any bargins.

The climb up the rock is hard work, but worth it!
A tip though, always drink plenty of water when you're there! Some of my mates went for a run around the rock. One guy didn't drink enough fluids & ended up suffering severe dehydration. He ended up staying a day in one of the hotels with a teacher until he was well enough to fly back to MEL with the teacher while the rest of us went back on the bus. His parents had to pick up the tab for the hotel & 2 flights, this being 1991, a deacade before cheap airfares...........

BNE

Mon May 28, 2007 8:15 pm

Been there;
Big version: Width: 800 Height: 550 File size: 34kb
Ayers Rock

Expensive accom. the understatement; but to look at the rock is well worth it. one night is usually all you really need.
Why fly non stop when you can connect

QANTASforever

Mon May 28, 2007 8:19 pm

Quoting Melpax (Reply 5):
The climb up the rock is hard work, but worth it!

I strongly disagree, and am surprised a native Australian such as yourself was/is so enthusiastic about climbing it.

JAL777 - No matter where you stay, please, out of respect for the traditional owners of the land don't climb it. It's considered by indigenous Australians to be a sacred site, and climbing it is very disrespectful.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

ndebelebev

Mon May 28, 2007 8:23 pm

Been to Australia twice but never actually visited Uluru although I did manage to get this pic, and a few more, whilst flying on board VH-OJN from MEL-SIN

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e105/Bev747/Holidays366.jpg

Didn't turn out too bad from 37,000 ft I don't think.

Bev xx
Her Pose Is That Of Someone... Who Knows It All And Is In Total Control Of Her World... Little Does She Know...

melpax

Mon May 28, 2007 8:35 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 7):
I strongly disagree, and am surprised a native Australian such as yourself was

You're right, I proably wouldn't do the climb now, but back then, the climb was the thing to do, there wasn't the contoversy about it as there is now. Mind you, the memorial plaques at the bottom of the rock serves as a warning to how dangerous & strenous the climb is. Plenty of heart attack vicitms, I seem to remember. One stuck in my mind was 'His life's ambition was to climb Ayer's Rock'.................. Kings Canyon is also quite dangerous & you must have your wits about you there. A mate's sister was killed there in the mid 90's when she tripped & fell over a cliff. Someone grabbed hold of here, but she lost her grip..............

Be careful out there.

baroque

Mon May 28, 2007 11:04 pm

Quoting JAL777 (Reply 3):
Quoting Baroque (Reply 1):
I guess landing twice at Uluru at about 2 am on the old East West flights to and from Perth hardly counts!!

How long ago was this?

Either 1979 or 1985. Probably 1985. Also have pics similar to that of Ndebelebev taken from QF41 flights.

Very irritating to be so close and yet so far...!

Kunoichi

Mon May 28, 2007 11:48 pm

I can recommend staying in Alice Springs and doing a two day trip to Kings Canyon, Kata Tjuta (The Olgas) and Uluru- We left early morning, walked the canyon for the first day, then went to Mt. Ebeneezer (coolest place ever  rotfl  ) for accom. and left the next day for The Rock.
The guides took us for some of the walks there- it's really nice  Smile We stayed and had an outdoor barbecue while watching the sunset before driving on home to Alice Springs. Awesome place and experience that I'll never forget.

We used Emu Run tours... awesome people!  thumbsup  The guides are true blue aussies, with the humor and all! Big grin
http://www.emurun.com.au/

Quoting Melpax (Reply 9):
there wasn't the contoversy about it as there is now.

Yes there was. The Aboriginals have never liked it one bit- the only difference from back then to now is that we LISTEN to the aboriginees instead of ignoring their wishes.

Don't climb the rock. It's allowed, but frowned upon, and it's disrespecting the aboriginals big time.  Sad
"Do you speak fluent Canadian?"

CXfirst

Mon May 28, 2007 11:57 pm

I was there a long time ago.

Can barely remember it.

Have a good trip.

-CXfirst

DTManiac

Tue May 29, 2007 12:32 am

I was there in 2003. My father and I flew there from SYD and stayed for two nights at the Sails in the Desert hotel. I would have chosen that if I would have had to pay for accomodation though. All those places at the resort are heavily overpriced if you ask me.

To be honest I found Kata Tjuta even more impressive than Uluru, although both are worth the trip. Like Kunoichi mentioned you can book a lot of nice guided trips to all the interesting places in that area at your hotel desk. However, these trips are not that cheap either. But it was worth the money. We did nice sunset trips to both Uluru and Kata Tjuta. Barbecues were included, too. The night sky out there is incredible, due to the lack of light from surrounding cities.

One last comment though: IMO, if you wanna go to an even more spectacular place in Oz I would recommend Kakadu and Litchfield national park. To me the view over the rain forest from Ubirr rock alone was worth the trip up north. I bet other A.netters who have been there will agree.

Frederik
Gig 'em Aggies!!!

Braybuddy

Tue May 29, 2007 3:19 am

Quoting JAL777 (Thread starter):
Has anyone ever been? Where can I stay that is reasonably priced (it seems everything there costs a fortune)? I will be bringing my mountain bike so I plan to do some of that.

We were there in March, and, as someone else said above, a day in the place is enough. There is a group of hotels nearby, all under the same umbrella, but catering for different markets, you'll find them here:

http://www.ayersrockresort.com.au/pricing/

We stayed at the Lost Camel, which is fine. It's modern, clean and comfortable, but not cheap for what you get. There is really nothing to do there at night, apart from a couple of restaurants, and even they seem to shut-up shop around 9.30. You can only buy alcohol if you show your room key, and it's the same at the bars in the hotels. This may sound strange, but it's on foot of a request by the Aboriginal elders in the settlement nearby.

We took a trip to Uluru and Kata Tjuta (also called the Ogas -- another rock formation about 30k away). On the list of "Things to do before you die" it's way up there, but, unless you're extremely fascinated by geology, a day in the place is enough. And be warned about the flies! They are the most persistent bastards I've ever come across. You can buy face nets in the hotels for about AUS$7 and they're well worth it: there are all over the place!

AAT King Tours seem to do most of the day trips. They aren't cheap, but there's no real competition out there:

http://www.aatkings.com/eu/

If you need any more info just ask.

SA7700

Tue May 29, 2007 4:02 am

I was there last year (June) and really enjoyed it. Staying at "Sails in the Desert" was not cheap, but worthwhile.

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)