yowza

NHL Off-Season Thread

Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:01 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 2):
Players mentioned in the rumor are Joffrey Lupul, Raffe Torres, and Ales Hemsky.).

The only one of those guys who is of any interest is Hemsky but they will not let him go easily.

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 3):
There's a rumour out there that the Bruins will be a good team next year...too bad it's only a rumour. gnasher

Hahahaha

Quoting GEEDO (Reply 4):
What pattern of fabric will the Sens pick for their new skirts? devil

Easy son, the Sens aren't that soft.

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 27):

Crosby's talented, no doubt about it. Is he the second coming of Gretzky or Lemieux? Based on his first two seasons, he's got a good chance of surpassing Mario as the greatest Pens player ever, and could definitely make a run for some of Gretzky's records.

I watched that incident about 20 times on SC. Kovalchuk is amazing. Crosby is a twat.

YOWza

srbmod

NHL Off-Season Thread

Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:43 am

Looks like Kimmo Timonen and Scott Hartnell will be playing for the Flyers, as Nashville has traded their negotiation rights to Philly in return for the #1 pick Nashville sent to them in the Forsberg deal.

Flyers acquire, sign Hartnell and Timonen

There goes one guy expected to be wooed on the open market.

Hartnell: 6 years, $25.2 million deal for a cap hit of $4.2 million per year.
Timonen: 6 years, $37.8 million contract for an annual cap hit of $6.3 million.

Looks like Philly may not be rebuilding for too long, especially when you throw in some of the young guys they picked up in trades last season (like Scottie Upshall in the Forsberg trade and Braydon Coburn in the Zhitnik trade.)

[Edited 2007-06-18 23:43:42]

USPIT10L

NHL Off-Season Thread

Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:28 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 31):
Just a thought, but what about the Pens trying to pick up Scott Hartnell? Pens GM Ray Shero was formerly the Assistant GM of the Preds so he's quite familiar with him......

I had heard that as well, but I also heard Hartnell was staying in Nashville. I just read the above post, it really doesn't matter what the Flyers sign--they need to rebuild--period.

Quoting ATCT (Reply 32):
(personally I think he was one of the greatest...if not THE greatest...here come the Gretzky fans to chew me up lol...)

You'll never hear it from me. I think now that 99 has retired and moved to PHX, we hear less and less about his numbers. 66 now gets the respect he deserves. Don't let Don Cherry and the Canadian media fool you--they just want Ottawa and Toronto in the finals every year--not gonna happen. Also, for everyone else, the Sens just kicked Murray upstairs and fired Muckler as GM. Not what I would've done--fired Murray and just gotten a new coach. I felt Murray was a better GM than a coach anyway (even without the rings Muckler has).
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

srbmod

NHL Off-Season Thread

Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:59 am

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 51):
Also, for everyone else, the Sens just kicked Murray upstairs and fired Muckler as GM. Not what I would've done--fired Murray and just gotten a new coach. I felt Murray was a better GM than a coach anyway (even without the rings Muckler has).

From the Sens website:
Murray named Senators general manager

I'm guessing that they'll probably promote either Paddock or Lowe to Head Coach. Muckler's days in pro hockey are probably done considering his age as not too many clubs would be interested in a 73 year old coach or GM.

geedo

NHL Off-Season Thread

Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:06 pm

Quoting YOWza (Reply 49):
Quoting GEEDO (Reply 4):
What pattern of fabric will the Sens pick for their new skirts? devil

Easy son, the Sens aren't that soft.

You're right, I just wanted to see how long it took for someone to speak up on their behalf  stirthepot 
I've got Titanic hopes and they aren't sinking

jfk69
Topic Author

NHL Off-Season Thread

Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:58 pm

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=211214&hubname=nhl

Claude Julien hired to coach Bruins

"The Boston Bruins have found their man to guide the club in 2007-08.

TSN has confirmed a report that the Bruins have hired Claude Julien to be their next head coach, with an official announcement expected Tuesday."

http://islanders.nhl.com/team/app/?s...age&page=NewsPage&articleid=319744

2002 first round pick Sean Bergenheim agrees to one-year deal with the Islanders

"Sean Bergenheim is returning to the Islanders after agreeing to terms on Monday on a one-year contract. The 5-11, 200-pound left wing was selected in the first round (22nd overall) of the 2002 NHL Draft and is one of the Islanders' top prospects."

Julien is a great coach and between him being fired, and Brodeur just playing too many games is the reason the Devils went out early.

It's great to have Bergenheim back after playing in finland for a year. Great speed, great hands and a wrecking ball on the ice.

srbmod

NHL Off-Season Thread

Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:42 am

Quoting JFK69 (Reply 54):
Claude Julien hired to coach Bruins

"The Boston Bruins have found their man to guide the club in 2007-08.

TSN has confirmed a report that the Bruins have hired Claude Julien to be their next head coach, with an official announcement expected Tuesday."

I figured he'd end up somewhere fairly quickly after Lou unceremoniously canned him that late in the season. Speaking of Lou, anyone heard anything further in regards to the Devils' coaching position? I've heard rumors that Pat Burns may be healthy enough to return to the bench.

AirCop

NHL Off-Season Thread

Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:53 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 11):
I think the most important Ducks news will be whether or not they resign Giguere

4 yrs (winters are nicer in Southern California) and 24 million dollars, Giguere signs up again with the Ducks.

srbmod

RE: NHL Rumors For The Summer Of 2007

Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:43 am

I decided to rename the thread since it's a mix of rumors and actual deals.

Quoting AirCop (Reply 56):
4 yrs (winters are nicer in Southern California) and 24 million dollars, Giguere signs up again with the Ducks.

Worth every penny.

The first round of the Draft is in a matter of hours, so who's going to be the #1 Pick, Turris or Kane? Or will Cherepanov sneak in to join Kovalchuk and Ovechkin as Russian #1 overall draft picks? This year's draft is considered to be weak, but 2008 is supposed to be packed with some very good talent.

The Draft Day Dealings have begun:

Sharks trade Mark Bell and Vesa Toskala to the Leafs for a conditional 1st Round Pick in either the 2007 (Why?), 2008 (I think they'll probably go with this one), or 2009 Entry Draft, a 2nd Round selection in the 2007 draft, and a 4rd round pick in the 2009 Draft.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...age&page=NewsPage&articleid=319980

Blackhawks trade Adrian Aucoin and a 7th Round pick in this year's draft to the Flames for Andrei Zyuzin and Steve Marr.

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/team/app/?...age&page=NewsPage&articleid=319962

I wouldn't be surprised if some more deals are announced in the next few hours or happen during the Draft tonight.

srbmod

RE: NHL Off-Season Thread

Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:22 am

Time for a little Draft Night Recap:

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 57):
The first round of the Draft is in a matter of hours, so who's going to be the #1 Pick, Turris or Kane? Or will Cherepanov sneak in to join Kovalchuk and Ovechkin as Russian #1 overall draft picks?

Patrick Kane went #1 to the Blackhawks
Kyle Turris went #3 to the Coyotes
Alexei Cherepanov fell all the way down to #17 to the Rangers (The lack of a transfer agreement between the NHL and the RIHF is why.)

Here's the full list:
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page&page=DraftStats

The Preds shipped Vokoun to Florida for three draft picks.

Several teams also unveiled new jerseys last night. I have to say that so far, the ones I've seen of this new style jersey aren't that bad. If you didn't get a chance to see them, here's some of them:

Capitals:
Home:

Road:

Bruins:
Home:

Road:

Blue Jackets:
Home:

Away:

Some other images (some confirmed, others rumored/leaked) of other teams' new jerseys can be found here:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=9642624#post9642624

Hopefully the rest of the teams won't take too long to introduce their revamped jerseys. No 3rd jerseys this season, but they're supposedly going to come back for the 08-09 season. This will be the first "new" New Jersey Devils jersey in 15 years, but knowing the Devils, it'll probably be so much like the current current one nobody will even notice...... duck 

Well on the Thrashers' front, they re-signed McCarthy and Larsen. It's also expect that we will re-sign Exelby and we could also have Kozlov under contract by then as well. Sutton is out, as his agent is asking for way more than he's worth (Wants a 4 year, S16 million deal.).

There's also rumors that the deal to sell the Preds to Balsillie may be dead.

senorcarnival

Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:29 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 58):
Alexei Cherepanov fell all the way down to #17 to the Rangers (The lack of a transfer agreement between the NHL and the RIHF is why.)

There was a bit more to it. In the days leading up to the draft, Cherepanov hinted that he may play another season for Omsk so some teams were discouraged by wasting a pick on a guy that can, but may choose not to, contribute right away. Some scouts also accused him of having a poor work ethic.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

srbmod

Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:35 am

Quoting Senorcarnival (Reply 59):

There was a bit more to it. In the days leading up to the draft, Cherepanov hinted that he may play another season for Omsk so some teams were discouraged by wasting a pick on a guy that can, but may choose not to, contribute right away. Some scouts also accused him of having a poor work ethic.

The TSN guys weren't talking about that at all. They just kept harping on the lack of a transfer agreement and surmising that was why he dropped so low.

I have to say the Pens may have gotten a steal with Angelo Esposito dropping like he did. There have been some knocks on him about his skill and work ethic, but he's someone that could really fit in with the youngsters on that team.

jfk69
Topic Author

Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:53 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 60):
The TSN guys weren't talking about that at all. They just kept harping on the lack of a transfer agreement and surmising that was why he dropped so low.

I have heard both from the NY media. The transfer agreement won't come into play as much since the Rangers have the financial resources to make sure everything will be fine. On the topic of his work ethic I can see it being some sort of problem that can quickly be corrected. He will play with Jagr and be involved in the Russian community of NY. This will help him adjust and focus more on hockey. He may come out lazy and with a crappy work ethic at the beginning but I think the Rangers made a great pick with it.

My Isles picked up Blake Kessel (Brother of Phil). Anyone know anything about him?

piercey

Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:56 am

Capitals:

Nice

Bruins

Nice

Blue Jackets:

Very nice

but thent, there is the Isles prototype....

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b362/bcrt2000/NYI2008.jpg

These were taken before Yashin was shipped out, and these are protos, but God save us Isles fans...

piercey in CLE  Sad
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

senorcarnival

Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:18 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 60):

Google news the kid's name and there will be some articles that mention those two things. I think the TSN guys spoke briefly at one point about AC going back to Omsk next season.

Quoting JFK69 (Reply 61):

My Isles picked up Blake Kessel (Brother of Phil). Anyone know anything about him?

I can't find much other than stats on the kid. His numbers aren't bad for last season (59GP, 11-27-38, +12, 38 PIM.) Kessel is committed to UNH for the '08 season, opting to play another season for Waterloo of the USHL until then.

senorcarnival

Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:15 pm

I'm bored enough to do this: a list of this year's first-round picks who have NCAA commitments for this season.

Patrick Kane - none
James vanRiemsdyk - New Hampshire
Kyle Turris - Wisconsin
Thomas Hickey - none
Karl Azner - none
Sam Gagner - none
Zach Hamill - none
Logan Couture - none
Keaton Ellerby - none
Brandon Sutter - none
Ryan McDonagh - Wisconsin
Lars Eller - none
Kevin Shattenkirk - BU
Alex Plante - none
Colton Gilles - none
Alexei Cherepanov - none
Ian Cole - ND
Logan Macmillan - none
Angelo Esposito - none
Riley Nash - Cornell
Max Pacioretty - Michigan
Jonathon Blum - none
Patrick White - Minnesota
David Perron - none
Brendan Smith - Wisconsin
Nick Petrecki - Boston College
James O' Brien - Minnesota (he already plays for the Gophers)
Nick Ross - none

srbmod

Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:07 am

Looks like Nashville started something with that trade of theirs last week:
Tkachuk dealt back to Blues

The Blues have exclusive negotiating rights on him until July 1 and the 2008 Conditional Pick that had originally been a 1st Rounder is now either a 4th Round in 08 or a 3rd Round in '09. Scuttlebutt over in the Thrashers forum at the hockey forum I post on is that the Thrashers did this because they don't think they'll be able to re-sign Kozlov and with the conditional pick not as huge of one, the Thrashers could really make a run for him and perhaps lure him back by dangling the "C" in front of him (Might be hard if St. Louis tries the same thing since they just waived Dallas Drake, who was their captain, although more than likely, Doug Weight will wear the C next season for the Blues.).

There's even rumors that me may try to pick up Yashin on the cheap as well. We could use the help at center, and on the plus side, the weather here is better for tennis........

us330

Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:19 am

Capitals new duds look very sharp, a definite improvement. I would suggest a slight modification, however, which is to add the a reciprocal white band to the bottom of the home red jersey to correspond to the red band at the bottom of the away white jersey. Also have to think that a third jersey in blue is probably on the horizon.

srbmod

Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:34 am

Quoting US330 (Reply 66):
Also have to think that a third jersey in blue is probably on the horizon.

That's at least one season away (Or in the case of the Devils, probably never) , as the league decided that for this season, there will not be any third jerseys.

Rumors are that the bulk of the new style jerseys will be unveiled on or around August 19th. So far, the only confirmed ones are the three above and the Kings. I know the Caps, Jackets, and Bruins are already taking pre-orders for their new ones, with deliveries in mid-September (just in time for pre-season)

piercey

Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:38 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 65):
We could use the help at center

You will have help, and then the pre-season comes....

piercey in CLE  Sad
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

srbmod

Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:09 am

Well they've announced the 2007 Inductees for the Hockey Hall of Fame.
Messier, Francis, MacInnis, Stevens earn spots in Hockey Hall of Fame

All four guys truly deserve to be in. Missing the cut (probably because they only induct a max of four guys) were Adam Oates, Igor Larionov and Claude Lemieux.

jfk69
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:04 am

OK here it goes.

Chris Drury to Rangers 5 year $35.2 mill

Scott Gomez to Rangers 7 year $51.5

Jason Blake to Maple Leafs 4 year $20

Brian Rafalski to Red Wings 5 year $30

Danny Briere to Flyers 8 years $52

Matt Schneider to Ducks 2 years $11

Tom Poti to Capitals 4 years $14

Victor Kozlov 2 years $5

I think the rangers drastically improved their offense, but with no money left for Defense, it looks like the ranger of pre cap.

I just read that Jason smith was traded from Edm to Philly with other for Pitkanen. They will be real tough.

The Capitals have a high russian contigent and should make the playoffs this year.

Leafs will suck....I hope the media enjoys Blake up their.

My Isles dissapoint once again by only signing Jon Sim (Who??? Exactly). If I was a betting man, I don't think Smyth is coming back to the Island. Sorry Piercey.

An-225

Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:59 pm

Ryan Smith goes to Avalanche along with Scott Hannan. Finally the Avs are making some right moves.

Alex.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

BHMNONREV

Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:06 pm

Kariya to the Blues for 3 years/18M...

Some say we have overpaid, but I would tend to disagree. Put on a wing with Doug Weight I believe the two of them will flourish...

piercey

Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:32 pm

Quoting JFK69 (Reply 70):

Chris Drury to Rangers 5 year $35.2 mill

Scott Gomez to Rangers 7 year $51.5

Tom Poti to Capitals 4 years $14

cry 

Jason Blake to Maple Leafs 4 year $20

lol 

Quoting An-225 (Reply 71):
Ryan Smith goes to Avalanche along with Scott Hannan. Finally the Avs are making some right moves.

cry  cry  cry  cry  cry  cry  cry  cry  cry  cry  cry  cry  cry  cry  cry  cry  cry  cry  cry  cry  cry  cry  cry  cry  cry  cry  cry 

Damn this sucks...

piercey in CLE  Sad