Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Banco

RE: Clash Of The Idiots

Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:11 am

Quoting Soylentgreen (Reply 49):
I do? Where? Read it again. And I read the book twice, once when it was published, and again a year ago. Please stop twisting my words BAnco. The topic is knighthood, nothing else.

Twice? Why? It's not exactly one of his best books.

You said that the knighthood was provocative. It's only provocative if you accept the basic premise that those calling for Rushdie's murder had a case. Otherwise, what you are advocating is the appeasement of those who are utterly beyond the pale. Let me put it simply to you: Those advocating Rushdie's death do not have an opinion worth considering. Their view is to deny freedom of expression through threats. The idea that Rushdie shouldn't be given a knighthood because of how people like these might react is ludicrous. I don't give a stuff what they think, and nor should any government.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

JGPH1A

Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:01 am

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 20):
Now pass the fatwa ...

Ahem. Only I may issue fatwahs, I thought I'd made that clear. A mullah will contact you shortly to arrange for a public flogging at your earliest convenience.

Quoting Banco (Reply 21):
John Cleese, who "insulted" Judaism and Christianity a hell of a lot more than Rushdie supposedly did in the Satanic Verses in Life of Brian, was offered, and declined, a CBE in 1996.

Stone the blasphemer !
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

soylentgreen

Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:14 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 51):
John Cleese, who "insulted" Judaism and Christianity a hell of a lot more than Rushdie supposedly did in the Satanic Verses in Life of Brian, was offered

Two wrongs don't make a right!
Just because Pee Wee Reese is in the Hall doesn't mean Rizutto should be there too, and that is what got him in.

skidmarks

Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:28 am

Don't you just love it when the colonials get all uppity about knighthoods and stuff? Like, they had any input.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

soylentgreen

Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:40 am

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 53):

I guess it's true what twe say in the States, the Brits are a bit uppity and full of themselves! Who knew?

It's been 231 years, get over it! I love it.

Banco

Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:20 am

Quoting Soylentgreen (Reply 52):
Two wrongs don't make a right!

Don't try to make attempts to change the subject. YOU said someone insulting Judaism wouldn't get an honour, I called you out on it and exposed it for the complete bollocks that it was. That's no surprise though, you haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

soylentgreen

Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:57 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 55):

Don't try to make attempts to change the subject. YOU said someone insulting Judaism wouldn't get an honour, I called you out on it and exposed it for the complete bollocks that it was. That's no surprise though, you haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about.

Banco-
Cleese should not have been affored the honor EITHER. That is my opinion. I can't say it in fewer words for you. If you disagree, you do not need to be insulting. (  bitelip 

soylentgreen

Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:04 am

For those interested in reading and understanding the Muslim persepctive, please try

http://www.jamiat.org.za/satanic_verses.htm

It sheds some light on what the uproar is about.

MDorBust

Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:16 am

Quoting Soylentgreen (Reply 57):

Yup, that's what I expected.

Close minded, intolerant neanderthals on the internet.

Shall I quote them?

Quote:
A Muslim may swallow insults to his own person, his wife and even his parents, but even the slightest hint of an insult to our beloved Rasul (Sallallahu-alayhi-wasallam) can cause any Muslim to go wild and berserk with rage.

I'm sorry, but if reading a book causes you to, "go wild and berserk with rage" you aren't fit for living in any sort of society.

I have to wonder, should Matt Stone issue some sort of Fatwa against himself?
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

soylentgreen

Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:43 am

But why insult them in a book? What meaningful purpose does it serve? To sell more books? To become famous through notoriety? The book could have been written withouth the insults (Rushdie knew it would cause this reaction). And in that vein, Rushdie insulted 1.6 billion Muslims.

If any of my posts cause anyone to be annoyed, then imagine what Rushdie's book did to the devout Muslims, especially when Rushdie intended to be insulting.

Aaron747

Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:20 pm

Quoting Soylentgreen (Reply 59):
But why insult them in a book? What meaningful purpose does it serve? To sell more books? To become famous through notoriety? The book could have been written withouth the insults (Rushdie knew it would cause this reaction). And in that vein, Rushdie insulted 1.6 billion Muslims.

What meaningful purpose is served by reacting in uncivilized fashion to mere commentary in a book? Much less propagating severe, irrational reactions that provide some legitimacy to criticisms of Islam in general.

Insults are like street bums - ignore them and they won't ask for money again, but answer them and they'll follow you for blocks. Devout Muslims have made it through famines, diseases, invasions, crusades, and centuries of corruption. Surely they can get on with their day and get past some jabs in a novel, right? Right? Food for thought.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

ME AVN FAN

Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:28 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 60):
nsults are like street bums - ignore them and

did you notice that this time, the "outrage" was concentrated onto Pakistan and Malaysia ? with a heavy emphasis on people in government and people "around" them ? and no angry tirades of President Iwantajihad for once ?
-
the famous "storm in the waterglass" or "tant de bruit pour une omelette" ? Looks like that.

BarfBag

Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:14 pm

There's nothing exceptional about Islam that makes it beyond being viewed critically, or even mischaracterized. Every faith and creed has been insulted, caricatured or lampooned in some manner. Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Christianity, Islam, you name it. Hindu Gods have been depicted on commodes and footwear by imbeciles. Sikhs have been taunted as 'Osamas' by rednecks. Christians have received their share of the same.

Ideally no one would be insulted in that manner. But it doesn't work that way. When an open society provides freedom of speech and expression, some will misuse it, or otherwise express their critical opinion in a manner that might aggravate some. Those who find the depiction of their beliefs or culture offensive do have a right to protest, and no one denies them that. However, if protest amounts to something as bizarre as calling for the execution of the other party, that will not earn you any sympathy.

There are constructs in Islamic societies that are blatantly discriminatory, such as the dhimmi laws and jizya. Both are at best crude protection rackets masquerading as some highminded ideal, while patronizing non-Muslims who will not submit. It insults me, and I say it insults 900 million Hindus, for example. What does Islam do about it ? Diddly squat. Why should average democratic societies that accord everyone equal standing have to make special provisions for Muslim sensitivity ? There's no reason to. Everyones fair game at one time or the other.

Aaron747

Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:26 pm

Quoting BarfBag (Reply 62):
Ideally no one would be insulted in that manner. But it doesn't work that way. When an open society provides freedom of speech and expression, some will misuse it, or otherwise express their critical opinion in a manner that might aggravate some. Those who find the depiction of their beliefs or culture offensive do have a right to protest, and no one denies them that. However, if protest amounts to something as bizarre as calling for the execution of the other party, that will not earn you any sympathy.

There are constructs in Islamic societies that are blatantly discriminatory, such as the dhimmi laws and jizya. Both are at best crude protection rackets masquerading as some highminded ideal, while patronizing non-Muslims who will not submit. It insults me, and I say it insults 900 million Hindus, for example. What does Islam do about it ? Diddly squat. Why should average democratic societies that accord everyone equal standing have to make special provisions for Muslim sensitivity ? There's no reason to. Everyones fair game at one time or the other.

Post of the week. Poignant, spot-on, and absolutely couldn't be said better.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:33 pm

Quoting Emirates773er (Reply 41):
ME AVN FAN actually a Gandhu is a derogatory term used in the Hindi Language, when translated it would mean "faggot" in english.

Actually I always thought it was closer to "a$$hole" rather than "faggot". I certainly wouldn't want our pink friends here on a.net to get offended, and perhaps issue a fatwa on me!!!
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

flyorski

Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:28 pm

Quoting Soylentgreen (Reply 57):
For those interested in reading and understanding the Muslim persepctive, please try

http://www.jamiat.org.za/satanic_verses.htm

Thanks for this link. It is good to know what they claim to be upset about.

Quoting Soylentgreen (Reply 59):
If any of my posts cause anyone to be annoyed, then imagine what Rushdie's book did to the devout Muslims, especially when Rushdie intended to be insulting.

Regardless as to how offended Muslims may be, that is NO reason to support violence, or a mass murderer like Osama bin Laden.

Why should average democratic societies that accord everyone equal standing have to make special provisions for Muslim sensitivity ? There's no reason to. Everyones fair game at one time or the other.

checkmark   checkmark 
"None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who falsly believe they are free" -Goethe

agill

Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:42 pm

Ideally no one would be insulted in that manner.

Well just imagine what the christians has to put up with insultwise (and it's hillarious stuff).

MDorBust

Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:31 am

Quoting Agill (Reply 66):
Well just imagine what the christians has to put up with insultwise (and it's hillarious stuff).

If people bother to look, they can find this stuff about every religion.

DISCLAIMER: SOME PEOPLE MAY BE OFFENDED BY THE FOLLOWING.

PLEASE DO NOT DECLARE A FATWA AGAINST JOHAN, IT'S MY FAULT

Judaism (made by a jewish person)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztRN3N5DGBk

More Judaism (also made by a jewish person)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGjoodK5aOM
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

JGPH1A

Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:25 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 67):
PLEASE DO NOT DECLARE A FATWA AGAINST JOHAN, IT'S MY FAULT

The Fatwaic Grand Jury is considering evidence presented against the accused, and will render its judicial verdict in due course. In the meantime, Johan's village has been razed to the ground, the inhabitants sold into slavery, and salt sewn in the fields. This was purely a precautionary measure, you understand, as part of our ongoing enquiries.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers