AA787823
Topic Author

40 Year Old Marries 16 Year Old!

Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:48 am

Basically a 40 year old high school coach married one of his students....I know murder is illegal, but it would almost be worth a life sentence if that were my daughter.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,285794,00.html
http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/assets/pdf/WM9586621.PDF
F.U.R.P.....Families Under Reduced Pay

pilotdude09

RE: 40 Year Old Marries 16 Year Old!

Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:03 am

Thats totally wrong and couldnt he be had up for having sex with a minor?

But that is totally totally wrong.
Qantas, Still calling Australia Home.........

Daleaholic

Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:06 am

Quoting Pilotdude09 (Reply 1):
Thats totally wrong and couldnt he be had up for having sex with a minor?

Doesn't say anywhere he is having sex with her. Nevertheless, It's inevitable they are  Silly
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

777236ER

Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:08 am

Yes, well done Fox News for printing the picture of a 16 year old girl, her name and the school she goes to. I guess privacy of a child stands for nothing when a network has to be 'fair and balanced'.
Your bone's got a little machine

Superfly

Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:17 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 3):
Yes, well done Fox News for printing the picture of a 16 year old girl, her name and the school she goes to. I guess privacy of a child stands for nothing when a network has to be 'fair and balanced'.

checkmark 

Now what is the age of consent in Delaware?
That would have been the first thing authorities would have went after instead of looking for a reason to fire him from his job. Sounds like there is a loophole in Delaware law to allow this.
Bring back the Concorde

ORFflyer

Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:39 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 4):

Not sure about the age of consent for the minor, but I saw on the news that her parents gave their consent in writing for the marrige.

Edit: The parents consent is also mentioned in the link posted by the thread starter.

[Edited 2007-06-22 18:45:05]

KaiGywer

Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:49 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 4):

It happened in Wilmington, NC, not Wilmington, DE. Anyways:

A note on defenses to statutory rape and related sex crimes: Consent is no defense, nor is mistake of age a
defense to the following statutory sex crimes in NC. However, marriage is generally a defense. The “age
of consent” to have sexual intercourse in North Carolina is 16. The age of marriage in North Carolina is
18, although parental or judicial consent may be given for minors aged 14-17 to marry.

However, if something happened prior to the marriage:

Indecent Liberties with a Student [GS 14-202.4, Class I felony or A1 misdemeanor]
Indecent and lewd acts by a teacher, administrator, coach, school safety officer or other school
personnel with a student at the same school, when the perpetrator is 4 or more years older than the victim
(Class I felony) or less than 4 years older (Class A1 misdemeanor).

Source: North Carolina Coalition Against Sexual Assault (PDF)
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Superfly

Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:59 am

ORFflyer & KaiGywer:
 Embarrassment Ooops, thanks for the correction.
This didn't sound like something that would happen in Delaware anyway. When I think of Wilmington, I think of those DAMN credit card companies in Delaware!

As disgusting as it sounds to us and certainly would not condone this, looks like this is totally legal and legitimate.

[Edited 2007-06-22 19:27:43]
Bring back the Concorde

dsmflyer

Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:07 am

Anytime I see some outrageous news thread title in the non-av section, I know without a doubt before I even click on it that Fox News will be the source. Seems like they only target that kind of crap, but pretend they're just doing their job all in the name of "important news." Whatever gets the hits, I guess...

kmh1956

Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:15 am

Had that been my daughter, I'd have been out for this guy's blood!!!
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

deltagator

Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:21 am

The real thing to hit on here is the crappy parenting skills shown by her family. Why did they sign the consent form? Why didn't they shut off her cellphone when they found the text messages? Why didn't they retrict her Internet access when thy read the IMs and emails? Oh that's right....parents today want to be friends with their kids instead of giving them a proverbial swift kick in the ass when it is needed.

As peverted as the track coach is (and the girl isn't even hot) the real idiots here are the parents.

Quoting DSMflyer (Reply 8):
Anytime I see some outrageous news thread title in the non-av section, I know without a doubt before I even click on it that Fox News will be the source. Seems like they only target that kind of crap, but pretend they're just doing their job all in the name of "important news." Whatever gets the hits, I guess...

Is ABC News a good enough source for you? I suppose they are just as bad in the journalism since they dared spend a bit of time on it. On Good Morning America no less.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3305652&page=1

Yes, well done Fox News for printing the picture of a 16 year old girl, her name and the school she goes to. I guess privacy of a child stands for nothing when a network has to be 'fair and balanced'

In the link above from ABC they include all the same information. I suppose they are just as bad as Fox themselves.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

allstarflyer

Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:25 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 10):
Yes, well done Fox News for printing the picture of a 16 year old girl, her name and the school she goes to. I guess privacy of a child stands for nothing when a network has to be 'fair and balanced'

In the link above from ABC they include all the same information. I suppose they are just as bad as Fox themselves.

I wonder if 777236ER is fair and balanced?  rotfl 

-R
Living the American Dream

777236ER

Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:25 am

Of course they are. It's disgusting to invade the privacy of a minor in such a way.

deltagator

Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:30 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 12):
Of course they are. It's disgusting to invade the privacy of a minor in such a way.

The age of consent is 16 in North Carolina so I would think she is no longer a minor in the eyes of the state thus the ability to put her name into print because there is no privacy issue. I'm not saying it is right or wrong but it is what it is and now it's out there for all to read or dismiss.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

EA CO AS

Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:34 am

"Hi! We're your new neighbors!"

Look, all you need to know is what's written in the ABC.com story below (fair use excerpt):

Meanwhile, the Hagers say Windy withdrew, refusing to speak to them until she asked them to sign a consent form so that she and her coach — a man more than twice her age — could get married.

Although anguished, her weary parents gave in.

"Signing those consent forms was the hardest thing I did in my whole life, but we had to move on, it was going to kill us all," Dennis said.

I'm sorry - WHAT? YOU GAVE YOUR CONSENT BECAUSE YOU WERE WEARY AND HAD TO MOVE ON?

What kind of people are these parents?!? If my 14 year old developed a 2 year relationship with her coach, she'd be:

- off the track team
- out of that school

Or our family would move.

Or if I didn't want to do any of the above, I'd have a man-to-man meeting with him where I told him exactly how I planned to make his life a living, breathing hell of an existence if he didn't leave my underage daughter alone - with emphasis on the 'underage' part to remind him that it wouldn't take much for me to plant her panties in his desk at school and have him set up for statutory rape.

And I've already got the phone/text message documentation to show something odd is a-goin' on. Slam dunk.

But no, this father just gave in to his daughter because she threw a teenage fit and pouted. Well done, dad.

[Edited 2007-06-22 19:42:12]
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

deltagator

Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:39 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 14):

I'm sure VMI is just thrilled this picture is out in the news. What a great image it gives them...a goofy looking pervert with his ugly child wife and big stuffed fish on the wall are in our target demo for students.  Wink

CastleIsland

Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:40 am

This no doubt was perpetuated by the upholding of gay marriage rights in Massachusetts.  Yeah sure
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

777236ER

Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:49 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 13):
The age of consent is 16 in North Carolina so I would think she is no longer a minor in the eyes of the state thus the ability to put her name into print because there is no privacy issue

Of course there's a privacy issue. She's still a child in that she's under 18 - the age of consent for sex doesn't automatically become an age where privacy is abolished.

And anyway, this is a marriage. A newspaper has no right to publish details of a private marriage, let alone pictures and where the people work or go to school. To do so with a 16 year old child is disgraceful. There's potential for her to be bullied mercilessly at school, in which case I hope the news broadcasters foot the bill for relocation, earnings lost through lack of education and therapy.

Superfly

Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:59 am

Gee I wish my parents were such a push-over when I was 16.

Sounds like EVERYONE involved are complete MORONS! ! ! ! !
Bring back the Concorde

deltagator

Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:59 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 17):
Of course there's a privacy issue. She's still a child in that she's under 18

Care to show me that in writing under American law germaine to the state of North Carolina...or are you making a leap of faith just so you can show off your talent of feigned outrage?

I'm sure the folks at ABC, FoxNews, and whomever else has reported on the story have done their homework to make sure there is no privacy of juveniles law being violated. Of course you seem to think you are an expert on everything so I suppose we should all just make it easy on ourselves and just take every word you say as the be-all, end-all truth.  sarcastic 

777236ER

Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:01 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 19):
Care to show me that in writing under American law germaine to the state of North Carolina...or are you making a leap of faith just so you can show off your talent of feigned outrage?

Ah ok, so in your mind a 16 year old can have her picture, name and school published in the national press for doing nothing more than legally marrying someone?

HOMER71

Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:03 am

What this high school track coach is doing is disgusting.

Sincerely,
Gary Glitter
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

deltagator

Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:07 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 20):
Ah ok, so in your mind a 16 year old can have her picture, name and school published in the national press for doing nothing more than legally marrying someone?

If it doesn't violate a privacy law then yes I'm fine with it.

Please continue with your outrage of how this girl has had her life detsroyed though because someone reported on her stupidity and wanderlust for a middle-aged guy. I need a good laugh today.

andessmf

Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:09 am

To play the devil's advocate:

How many of us would have actually LISTENED to our parents when we were 16, especially about matters of the heart? Not that long ago I even heard my neighbor's daughter scream about how her parents did not understand how much she 'loved' a guy!

At one point, her parents had to make the decision, and if they had NOT allowed the marriage, their daughter could have easily become estranged, God knows for how long.

And no, I would not like to have this happen to my two daughters, but the older our kids become, the less control we have over their life decisions.

Sometimes the way we believe we will react is completely opposite to the way we actually react.

deltagator

Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:24 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 23):
To play the devil's advocate:

How many of us would have actually LISTENED to our parents when we were 16, especially about matters of the heart?

Good point but I would counter that when we were kids we also didn't have feelings of love towards our 40 year old teachers.

Superfly

Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:31 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 24):
we also didn't have feelings of love towards our 40 year old teachers.

You should have seen the French teacher at my school when I was in 10 grade!  Wow!
Bring back the Concorde

tz757300

Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:33 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 7):
This didn't sound like something that would happen in Delaware anyway.

It doesn't...at least not to this degree

deltagator

Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:33 am

Well you were lucky. None of my teachers through high school were even remotely good looking or young. I knew plenty of girls in the Education program at UF and all I could say was "where in the hell were hotties like you all when I was in school."

LTU932

Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:54 am

So what? Teachers marry their students and have sex with them all the time!

Signed,
Mary Kay Letourneau
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

andessmf

Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:54 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 24):
Good point but I would counter that when we were kids we also didn't have feelings of love towards our 40 year old teachers.

Questionable, because we would not admit it if we did.

But how much you want to bet that when this 16 y.o. grows up further, she would find out that she made the wrong decision?

80%, 90%, 100%?

AA787823
Topic Author

Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:06 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 29):
But how much you want to bet that when this 16 y.o. grows up further, she would find out that she made the wrong decision?

After she has a couple of kids and is in a dead end job, she will then go crying home to mommy and daddy. Personally if I were her father, I would have been out for blood against the coach. If the school did not fire him, I would move her to a different school and sue the district.

IMHO I think the parents are more to blame than the girl. The coach should be on Chris Hansons "To catch a predator" Dateline.
F.U.R.P.....Families Under Reduced Pay

cjh2007

Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:13 am

Lucky bastard... irked 

Cjh
Is it the kerosene, or is it just me...

halls120

Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:14 am

The real thing to hit on here is the crappy parenting skills shown by her family. Why did they sign the consent form? Why didn't they shut off her cellphone when they found the text messages? Why didn't they restrict her Internet access when thy read the IMs and emails? Oh that's right....parents today want to be friends with their kids instead of giving them a proverbial swift kick in the ass when it is needed.

As perverted as the track coach is (and the girl isn't even hot) the real idiots here are the parents.

checkmark  While this is just as perverted and sick as the other female teacher/male student cases, this one takes the cake, since the girl's parents had the ability to say no.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 14):

I know I shouldn't, but I just can help  rotfl  at this!

Am I the only one who thinks she looks an awful lot like him?

And anyway, this is a marriage. A newspaper has no right to publish details of a private marriage, let alone pictures and where the people work or go to school.

I'm not aware of any legal prohibition on the publication of news stories that involve private marriages. Are you?
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

deltagator

Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:20 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 32):
Am I the only one who thinks she looks an awful lot like him?

You mean inbred and stupid looking? Why yes, I can see it.

I'm not aware of any legal prohibition on the publication of news stories that involve private marriages. Are you?

In B777236ER's British interpretation of American law through his smudged glasses I'm sure there is such a law. But in the real world there is no such thing. Don't tell him though as it will make him cry again.

dsmflyer

Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:22 am

Is ABC News a good enough source for you? I suppose they are just as bad in the journalism since they dared spend a bit of time on it. On Good Morning America no less.

I'm not talking about the ethics involved. I'm talking about the fact that Fox News only targets out of the ordinary stories like this one to put on their site in order to get more hits and bring in more revenue.

deltagator

Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:36 am

Quoting DSMflyer (Reply 34):
I'm not talking about the ethics involved. I'm talking about the fact that Fox News only targets out of the ordinary stories like this one to put on their site in order to get more hits and bring in more revenue.

You spin it however you need to spin it after being called out for your comments.  Wink

I'm not supporting Fox News by any means here (and I agree they put some crappy headlines on their main webpage in spite of real news being out there) but your claim that you just knew it had to be them by the headline is wrong given that it was originally reported by ABC News and received dcent airtime on their morning news show. Granted, I have no idea if it was covered on Fox's morning program but I don't remember seeing it on the Today Show yesterday or today on NBC.

LAXspotter

Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:38 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 6):
It happened in Wilmington, NC, not Wilmington, DE

Figures, dont think this kind of thing happens in Delaware

I think of those DAMN credit card companies in Delaware!

LOL, thats what comes to mind immediately

As disgusting as it sounds to us and certainly would not condone this, looks like this is totally legal and legitimate

True, quite disgusting but its legal

The Parents could have done a lot more, they gave in. It says the coach took a special "liking" to her when she first joined track, that kind of screams a  redflag 
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

TheCol

Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:41 am

Another great example of shitty ineffective parenting. I mean, what parent in their right mind would consent to this? The school board should team up with the local police to start an investigation on that guy. Chances are, he's been in a few relationships with minors before this current one.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

dsmflyer

Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:45 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 35):

I'm not spinning anything. Let me break it down for you:

Non-av, lots of threads on crazy hard-to-believe stories.

90% of the time, it's a link to the story on Fox News' web site.

I don't give two shits who reported it first, as that's completely beyond the point. I never said Fox News was the only outlet reporting it. My point is that Fox News targets stories like these to boost up the hits on their site. Nothing more.

deltagator

Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:49 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 36):
Figures, dont think this kind of thing happens in Delaware

Of course. Because there is no white trash in all of Delaware.  sarcastic 

The Parents could have done a lot more, they gave in.

They are the real ones to blame here. What a bunch of spineless dorks these two were. Signing the consent because they were tired of fighting it. What a bunch of tools.

It says the coach took a special "liking" to her when she first joined track, that kind of screams a

Replace "special liking" with "slap and tickle game" and I think we will have the real story. At the end of the day she's ugly as sin, he's no Don Juan, and she comes from suspect stock in her pussy parents.

The real losers are going to my parents as NC taxpayers when it comes time to support these yahoos and their brood of stupid children with Kool-Aid mustaches while mommy works a dead-end job and daddy drinks because he can't teach anymore on the welfare system.

AirTranTUS

Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:40 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 33):

In B777236ER's British interpretation of American law through his smudged glasses I'm sure there is such a law. But in the real world there is no such thing. Don't tell him though as it will make him cry again.

Both B777236ER and Superfly, but when it comes to hating Fox News, you are allowed to disregard the fact that it is legal.  Yeah sure
I love ASO!

andessmf

Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:41 am

I'm talking about the fact that Fox News only targets out of the ordinary stories like this one to put on their site in order to get more hits and bring in more revenue.

Quoting DSMflyer (Reply 38):
My point is that Fox News targets stories like these to boost up the hits on their site.

But ABC and NBC are on the clear, right?

deltadc9

Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:42 am

Not familiar with Kentucky and Arkansas huh?

Big grin
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

LAXspotter

Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:48 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 41):
But ABC and NBC are on the clear, right?

LOL, who got the sought after Paris Hilton Interview anyway?
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

Superfly

Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:56 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 39):
Of course. Because there is no white trash in all of Delaware.

Ever heard of George Thurogood? Big grin
J/K

Replace "special liking" with "slap and tickle game" and I think we will have the real story.

checkmark 

The real losers are going to my parents as NC taxpayers when it comes time to support these yahoos and their brood of stupid children with Kool-Aid mustaches while mommy works a dead-end job

Like at Wal-Mart?
Bring back the Concorde

ShyFlyer

Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:13 pm

I'm talking about the fact that Fox News only targets out of the ordinary stories like this one to put on their site in order to get more hits and bring in more revenue.

In other words, the traits of modern journalism. All news outlets, broadcast and print, do it.

-------

Anyway, I just can't bring my self to understand what goes through these people's minds. Maybe the problem is that nothing is going through their minds.

I took a group of Cadets up to Santa Fe today for our Wing's Summer Encampment. They are just about the same age as the girl in question. Even though I'm closer to their age than that track coach was to his (now former) student, I can't even begin to imagine such a relationship with a girl that young.  no  To me, it crosses far too many ethical boundaries.

Can't this guy find a woman his own age? Perhaps he wanted someone he could mold according to his ideas? If that's the case, then I'm really, really sickened  vomit  (instead of just "sickened"  ill  ) by this story.
I lift things up and put them down.

AirCop

Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:22 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 20):

Once she marries she becomes an adult with the rights and obligations that occurs with being an adult, therefore publishing the information is not only fair game, but also a manner of public record, i.e. marriage license.

gocaps16

Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:22 pm

I don't understand why he can't wait 2 more years to marry her. By the time she reaches college, they'll be divorced.

rammstein

Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:47 pm

This guy is a borderline pedophile, and/or completely irresponsible. End of the story.

And anyway, this is a marriage. A newspaper has no right to publish details of a private marriage, let alone pictures and where the people work or go to school. To do so with a 16 year old child is disgraceful. There's potential for her to be bullied mercilessly at school, in which case I hope the news broadcasters foot the bill for relocation, earnings lost through lack of education and therapy.

checkmark 
He who wishes to be rich in a day will be hanged in a day. --Leonardo Da Vinci

777236ER

Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:29 pm

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 11):
I wonder if 777236ER is fair and balanced? rotfl

Am I pretending to be?

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 22):

If it doesn't violate a privacy law then yes I'm fine with it.

Even though you're publishing the name, school and photo of a sixteen year old for no other reason than she did something the law allows?

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 33):

This isn't about laws, this is about morality.

I'm aware that it's highly morally questionable to publish such intimate personal details of a sixteen year old girl. It's inappropriate to publish an adult's photo, place of work and name in trivial but potentially embarassing and personal circumstances, let alone those of a child.

Quoting AirCop (Reply 46):
Once she marries she becomes an adult with the rights and obligations that occurs with being an adult, therefore publishing the information is not only fair game, but also a manner of public record, i.e. marriage license.

You'd allow (inter)national media to publish such intimate personal details of your daughter? I hope you wouldn't.