Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

APFPilot1985
Topic Author

First Post From My Iphone

Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:11 am

after waiting in Line for only two hours my girlfriend and I were each able to get a phone. Let me just say that so far it is worth it.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

adopim88

RE: First Post From My Iphone

Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:28 pm

How much did they end up costing you? A work friend of mine told me that after getting the phone you have to get the plan which could bring the cost up to around $600.. So I was just curious to hear it firsthand.
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

AeroWesty

Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:31 pm

A friend in Orange Co. bought one tonight--he only had to wait 3 hours, but they had a limit of 1 per customer. I dunno why people were camped out all night for days in NY, except to get themselves on TV.
International Homo of Mystery

OzarkD9S

Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:46 pm

Do you feel superior having fallen for the techno-hype?
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer Night's Dream

EA CO AS

Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:30 pm

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 3):

Does it make you feel better to belittle others?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Klaus

Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:54 pm

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Thread starter):
after waiting in Line for only two hours my girlfriend and I were each able to get a phone. Let me just say that so far it is worth it.

Cool!  bigthumbsup 

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 3):

Maybe he's just having fun using a product which works well and is pleasant to use? Ever thought of that possibility?  eyebrow 

And independent of what you're using, there's really no reason to feel inferior. That's not how it works.

N1120A

Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:57 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 5):

Maybe he's just having fun using a product which works well and is pleasant to use?

Works well the first day. This thing is going to have some issues that even Klaus can't explain away, but the second gen iPhone next year will vindicate the Apple loving Teuton. I am waiting till then, when it actually has some serious storage capacity, to get one.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Klaus

Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:08 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 6):
This thing is going to have some issues that even Klaus can't explain away, but the second gen iPhone next year will vindicate the Apple loving Teuton.

I've never claimed that Apple products didn't have any issues - my experience is just that they're actually giving a damn about the quality of their products, and it shows.

I personally don't need a mobile phone enough to justify dealing with one of the clunky models available so far. The iPhone may indeed change that, but UMTS capability and automatic location (either by an actually working GPS or by network triangulation) would definitely raise its attraction for me.

So I'll watch the progression of the US model updates and hope for a further upgraded european model.

APFPilot1985
Topic Author

Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:59 pm

it ended up costing around six hundred dollars and after about twelve hours with it is well worth it it os easy to type on and the screen is amazing

LHSebi

Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:12 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 7):
I personally don't need a mobile phone enough to justify dealing with one of the clunky models available so far. The iPhone may indeed change that, but UMTS capability and automatic location (either by an actually working GPS or by network triangulation) would definitely raise its attraction for me.

Have a look at the Nokia N95 which has pretty much anything you want, and is not clunky (even less than the iPhone)
I guess that's what happens in the end, you start thinking about the beginning.

TACAA320

Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:29 pm

Congratulations !
Enjoy it a lot !
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

bongo

Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:45 pm

after waiting in Line for only two hours

I really don´t understand why americans always wait in line for hours and hours to buy something new exactly the day of arrival in stores, or to see a movie exactly the day of arrival in theatres. Why not just wait a couple of days, or a week?.
The news showed people waiting in line for the whole night long! with tents and blankets! Isn´t this a bit crazy?

Regarding the iPhone, I can´t wait to have it here in Colombia.
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

TACAA320

Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:03 am

I can't afford one now.

Nevertheless, I bought a Palm Treo. A little complicated combination of agenda and phone, but not disappointed at all.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

VSlover

Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:44 am

i agree, it is amazing. my friend had his last night and it sold me, i am going to pick one up for me and my father here soon.

until you see it in person and see how slim it is, and reallize that you can fully view this webpage in all its glory on your phone just exactly as it appears on your computer monitor --that is an amazing leap in technology.

also, my friend is paying $60/mo for the cheapest plan with this phone, which is how much i pay for my silly voice only plan after all my taxes.

Klaus

Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:45 am

Quoting LHSebi (Reply 9):
Have a look at the Nokia N95 which has pretty much anything you want, and is not clunky (even less than the iPhone)

The conditions sine qua non are an excellent user interface and a good screen, among others. And I prefer the features to actually work. So the N95 is out. It also looks like something that survived from the 1970s. Which may appeal to Superfly, but I'm just not inclined that way.

itsjustme

Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:28 am

This article outlines exactly why I won't be getting an iPhone anytime soon. If there are any kudos to be handed out, they should go to the marketing people at Apple. They have truly outdone themselves and made this sound like a 'must have' product when, in fact, it's just another, severely overpriced gadget. Remember how much $$$ VCR's were when they first came out? Why shell out $600 for a piece of hardware when, in a few short months (OK, maybe a little longer in this case), we'll be seeing prices at half the current cost?

APFPilot1985
Topic Author

Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:51 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 15):
This article outlines exactly why I won't be getting an iPhone anytime soon.

I can assure you that she has never had her hands on one. I felt the same way until I actually saw it. I wasn't even intending to open the box on the one that I bought much less activate it until I actually played with it and I was sold.

yowza

Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:00 am

article outlines exactly why I won't be getting an iPhone anytime soon.

I've been making a number of points echoed in that article for ages. Still if you've fallen for one, I hope you enjoy it.

YOWza

itsjustme

Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:05 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 17):
Still if you've fallen for one, I hope you enjoy it.

checkmark  Exactly.

I should have added that I'm not belittling those who purchased an iPhone. Just saying, it's not for me at this particular juncture.

Klaus

Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:12 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 18):
I should have added that I'm not belittling those who purchased an iPhone. Just saying, it's not for me at this particular juncture.

Quite possible - although you may find out you've been mistaken once you actually try using one...

People generally underestimate the impact of usability on their overall experience with computers (which includes mobile phones nowadays).

deltaownsall

Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:45 pm

picked up the 8gb iphone on friday...i waited about 45 min after 6pm (about 75 people had been in line all day at the naples store) and walked right in to purchase it in about 3 minutes time. the activation and itunes compatibility is quite impressive and nearly as streamlined as the ipod interface...the device as a whole is of typical exceptional apple quality. internet thus far (even on my household cable wi-fi network) is a rather torpid (loading speeds similar to dial-up). the touch-screen is extremely intuitive and the "multi-finger" functions are quite impressive and easy to figure out. the single "home" button at the bottom is very useful, especially in the vein that multiple applications can be running simultaneously (eg music, internet, txt, etc) and accessed extremely fluidly. all this being said...the concept is extremely satisfying but i feel like the 2nd gen will bring much more practicality (longer battery life, more memory, faster internet (both 3g and better wi-fi compatibility, etc).

ManuCH

Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:20 pm

This article outlines exactly why I won't be getting an iPhone anytime soon.

The arguments brought up in that article are nonsense IMHO. I think usability of the iPhone is the key: my only *real* concern is the lack of J2ME (Java) compatibility, but we'll see how it turns out to be with Web 2.0. Otherwise I'd probably kill someone right here and now to get my hands on one (cheap fares to NYC anyone?  Smile - yes I know, a US AT&T plan would probably be useless to me in Switzerland, if I have to pay $2/minute roaming charges to call my friends...)

after waiting in Line for only two hours my girlfriend and I were each able to get a phone.

Congratulations, enjoy it!
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

Klaus

Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:17 pm

Quoting DeltaOwnsAll (Reply 20):
internet thus far (even on my household cable wi-fi network) is a rather torpid (loading speeds similar to dial-up).

Are you sure your configuration is set properly and it is actually using it? From what I've read from other users so far, transfer speeds on WiFi are supposed to be very good...

jrowson

Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:55 pm

I for one wont be rushing out to get one. For a mobile device in current times not to include UMTS/3G or HSDPA is a major omission. Even my T Mobile MDA Vario2 has 3G and will do me for now. If Apple decide to address these issues in the future then maybe i'll reconsider.

I'm one of those who will wait to see what the 2nd generation brings.
James Rowson

QANTASforever

Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:51 pm

Yeah, I mean - what does this thing actually do that a lot of current phones do not?
A lot of phones have a camera, photo storage, internet, music etc. What (aside perhaps from design) makes the iphone any different?

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

melpax

Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:09 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 24):
Yeah, I mean - what does this thing actually do that a lot of current phones do not?
A lot of phones have a camera, photo storage, internet, music etc. What (aside perhaps from design) makes the iphone any different?

It has that goddamn logo on it. From what I've heard here, it won't be available here till 2009 or so at least due to network compatability issues (the major carriers here are changing over to 3G)

Klaus

Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:19 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 24):
What (aside perhaps from design) makes the iphone any different?

Usability is simply awful on the majority of existing mobile phones now. The majority of their users shrink back to only a few functions and rather suffer continual discomfort than trying to fiddle with the arcane and hostile user interfaces.

Which effectively turns most of the wonderful features into dead weight - once tried, found to be unusable in practice and summarily discarded: "On my phone I could browse the internet, isn't that great?"

I'm pretty sure that the majority of people claiming they want a mobile phone "just to make calls" is simply fed up with how hard it is to use the other stuff.

The iPhone has few features other phones don't have at all - but all of them are actually usable by the majority of its users. That it's apparently quite pleasant to use and to look at on top of that is just gravy.

fanoftristars

Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:20 pm

What's the time frame for being available on other carriers? As long as it's an AT&T exclusive, I will never own one, because I will never go with AT&T.

I don't expect we'll see the prices drop on these phones. The will get better, more memory, more features, etc. but they won't get cheaper. Look at the rest of Apple's line up. Most iPods are about the same price, they've just gotten better.
"FLY DELTA JETS"

Klaus

Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:25 pm

Quoting Fanoftristars (Reply 27):
What's the time frame for being available on other carriers? As long as it's an AT&T exclusive, I will never own one, because I will never go with AT&T.

That might take some time, then. If I remember correctly, AT&T has five years exclusivity on the iPhone. But it might not extend to all future models.

I don't expect we'll see the prices drop on these phones. The will get better, more memory, more features, etc. but they won't get cheaper. Look at the rest of Apple's line up. Most iPods are about the same price, they've just gotten better.

True - but Apple has introduced various models at different price points, covering pretty much the entire range. I think it's reasonable to expect variations of the iPhone theme along similar lines. iPhone nano, anyone...?

deltagator

Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:37 am

We (I work for AT&T Consulting) have exclusive rights to all iPhones and subsequent models for 5 years in the United States. Judging by your comments you won't be getting an iPhone until 2012 due to this marketing agreement. Any particular reason why you won't go with AT&T? Just curious.

They will become available overseas in the coming months though I don't know if they will be unlocked for non-roaming use on other networks.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

tmatt95

Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:50 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 28):
True - but Apple has introduced various models at different price points, covering pretty much the entire range. I think it's reasonable to expect variations of the iPhone theme along similar lines. iPhone nano, anyone...?

I think I will settle for the Iphone shuffle....  Wink Big grin

Matt

piercey

Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:01 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 5):
Maybe he's just having fun using a product which works well and is pleasant to use? Ever thought of that possibility?

It might be an awesome product, but it's on the second worst network in the nation (T-mobile is worse)

What's the time frame for being available on other carriers?

I'll be getting one in 2012, when this agreement is up.

piercey in CLE  Sad
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

FlyKev

Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:07 am

Here's a curious article from The Register about the Iphone and its pending European release date:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/06...uro_3g_iphone_announcement_monday/

Kev.
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

deltagator

Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:30 am

Quoting Piercey (Reply 31):
It might be an awesome product, but it's on the second worst network in the nation (T-mobile is worse)

Now hold on a minute...we have the fewest dropped calls....between the hours of 2am and 3am on every other Thursday on a specific cell tower in south central LA that has no more than 6 users on it at once. Get your facts straight!  Wink

Seriously though, and this isn't me being a corporate shill given my employment with AT&T, but I my experience with Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Cingular/AT&T is that they all equally have issues and are always in the process of leapfrogging each other with new stuff and improvements.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

TACAA320

Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:49 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 33):

Now hold on a minute...we have the fewest dropped calls

Can somebody prove which is better than other because as long as I know TMobile has fewer dropped calls. But I simply can't prove that.

ebs757

Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:20 am

Quoting Bongo (Reply 11):
I really don´t understand why americans always wait in line for hours and hours to buy something new exactly the day of arrival in stores, or to see a movie exactly the day of arrival in theatres. Why not just wait a couple of days, or a week?.
The news showed people waiting in line for the whole night long! with tents and blankets! Isn´t this a bit crazy?

Not everyone here in America is crazy enough to wait days camping for somethings release in tents ect, most of us laugh at those people.

On the other hand I don't know how many people find such interest in this product besides it looks cool and you can go on youtube, especially for around 600 dollars and a huge monthly service plan. IMO its more of oh it looks cool and its from apple, I gotta get it. But then again its just another apple product made for those with more money than intelligence.
Viva la Vida

ThePRGuy

Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:23 am

For those complaining about EDGE speeds, I was recently using a RIM handheld and got 198kb/s download. Thats hardly bad...It was NOT a 3G phone.

I've heard of even faster speeds across the US. So why have 3G?

I steer well clear of 3G...every handset i've had has been a pile of shit.

P990i, M3100, M700, the list goes on.

Alex
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

Klaus

Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:29 am

Quoting Ebs757 (Reply 35):
IMO its more of oh it looks cool and its from apple, I gotta get it. But then again its just another apple product made for those with more money than intelligence.

Try it out. Then go back to your old phone.

And tell us with a straight face that it doesn't feel like getting yanked back from the future.  mischievous 

ThePRGuy

Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:34 am

Quoting FlyKev (Reply 32):

Oh for ***** sake. I hate vodafone.

I hardly think apple would release a 3G version in europe and not in the US - just days after releasing a "flawed" *rolls eyes* version in the US.

Alex

Klaus

Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:44 am

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 38):
I hardly think apple would release a 3G version in europe and not in the US - just days after releasing a "flawed" *rolls eyes* version in the US.

The presentation of the US model was several months ago, the release on last friday... it would be quite conceivable that a similar time distance could exist here in Europe, for at least some of the same reasons (giving prospective customers time to get out of their previous contracts).

Doing the presentation that soon after start of sales in the US would still be a bit questionable, however. Even if the revision B model would be available there as well.

So I have my doubts about such an early presentation.

CaptainJon

Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:50 am

I am definitely eyeing that phone. It is priced higher than the iPhone is, but I been always a fan of Nokia phones. I did hear they N95 has memory issues where programs don't quit properly, even though you close it, it remains in memory. Is this a wide-spread problem?

Though don't get me wrong, the iPhone does look pretty sweet, I rather wait for Rev. 2. I already have AT&T, no problems with them where I am. Verizon is about equally the same, just T-Mobile and Sprint here are rather awful. Other than that, the Blackberry does seem pretty solid too. In fact, 90% of the people that sat in F with me were composing emails throughout the flight on their Blackberries.

[Edited 2007-07-02 00:56:24]

ThePRGuy

Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:52 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 39):
So I have my doubts about such an early presentation.

We are both clued up about Apple - albeit you more so - but come on - when was the last time Apple introduced a significantly improved variety of a product specifically for the European market, just months after releasing a brand new state of the art product in the US?

Alex

Klaus

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:11 am

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 41):
We are both clued up about Apple - albeit you more so - but come on - when was the last time Apple introduced a significantly improved variety of a product specifically for the European market, just months after releasing a brand new state of the art product in the US?

It has never been necessary before. They had been selling the exact same models there and here, with the only infrastructure difference - different mains voltage - being a non-issue.

The iPhone is the first major product which actually depends on the significantly different infrastructures. And Apple has become quite flexible in recent years, so I wouldn't count on an exact repetition of past patterns all too much...

ThePRGuy

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:17 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 42):

I get you. But lets be serious - USA is going to buy more units than Europe - that has been the trend with almost every single product line apple has released. Would they really risk pissing off the US community by releasing a unit which has the fix to the only major criticism that any critic has been raising - but only in Europe?!
It doesn't add up to me...what do you think?
Alex

ebs757

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:23 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 37):
Try it out. Then go back to your old phone.

I like my palm treo even though it doesn't have flash support a built in ipod and a fisher price interface. I wouldn't exactly like a phone I can't have a warranty on (sounds a little suspicious to me) also you gotta admit its slightly overpriced but thats apple for ya. I'm not saying its a POS phone, its definitely not. I'm saying its obviously designed for looks that attract 80% of apple fans. Look at the advertisement's "watch youtube on your phone" Why couldn't they just say it has flash support? Because it sounds cooler and attracts the non computer savy. Its a cool phone none the less.
Viva la Vida

ThePRGuy

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:25 am

Quoting Ebs757 (Reply 44):
slightly overpriced but thats apple for ya.

Apple pours a lot of money into the superb designs and hefty marketing. Thats why the prices are reasonably inflated. I don't see your Palm treo in a delicious looking outer shell, with marketing campaigns and all of the carriers going goo-goo over it.

Alex

ebs757

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:34 am

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 45):

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 45):
with marketing campaigns and all of the carriers going goo-goo over it.

Hmm... carrier going goo-goo over it? Apple set a contract for carriers to sell the IPhone. AT&T (cingular) was the only one to agree. I don;t think so, they had their chance.
Viva la Vida

ThePRGuy

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:36 am

Quoting Ebs757 (Reply 46):
Hmm... carrier going goo-goo over it? Apple set a contract for carriers to sell the IPhone. AT&T (cingular) was the only one to agree. I don;t think so, they had their chance.

Umm I heard that Verizon was trying up until the last minute to get the contract. And over in Europe Tmobile and Vodafone are at each others throats, with Orange fairly pissed off about it all.

Well, at least in Europe, the carriers have enough sense to see that its a pretty big product - to be taken seriously unlike the hilariously poor and outdated offerings from "Palm" or whatever they call themselves these days.

Alex

ebs757

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:39 am

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 47):
hilariously poor and outdated offerings from "Palm" or whatever they call themselves these days.

The IPhone is sooo futuristic.....  Yeah sure
Viva la Vida

ThePRGuy

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:42 am

Quoting Ebs757 (Reply 48):
The IPhone is sooo futuristic.....  

You are right. It is. It is the first phone ever to be usable - allowing the not necessarily new - but useful features to actually be used!!!

Alex