andaman
Topic Author

Your Latest Concert/Gig Experience?

Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:12 am

Your latest concert/gig experience?

Mine was George Michael "25Live Tour" in Helsinki on 1st of July. First I wasn't interested at all when some friends asked me to join them but it turned to be a good experience. He really can sing and he even showed some self irony  Wink
They had some great visual effects and the Hartwall Arena, which also hosted the Eurovision Contest this spring, works fine as a concert venue.
I still won't buy his cd though, but he is a good live performer. I was only missing the song called "As", the one he recorded with Mary J Blidge, one of my all time favourites.

Images from the concerts in Barcelona and Rotterdam, look similar what I saw in Helsinki:

http://static.flickr.com/100/253492946_15b78d842e_b.jpg

Hartwall Arena Helsinki:

Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

ThePRGuy

RE: Your Latest Concert/Gig Experience?

Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:18 am

*embarrassed*
I took a good friend of mine to see "McFly" at Wembley Aerena in the UK.

My dad got free tickets OK!!!!

And they weren't half bad!

ALex
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

ebs757

Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:23 am

Coldplay was pretty awesome....
Viva la Vida

freckles

Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:24 am

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 1):
And they weren't half bad!

McFly = good a while ago!

My last experience was when i went to see Girls Aloud at Wembley Arena on the 26th May, albeit they are pretty rubbish singers but they put on a good show:

Morgan

stlgph

Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:45 am

Quoting Andaman (Thread starter):

What an amazing stage set up.

Anyway, as for me, I went here ...

the famed Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Morrison, Colorado, on May 28th and saw this little lady perform...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q266/ghamilt/stevienicks.jpg

I somehow got lucky and was at the box office when it opened that day. I was hoping to snag a promoter's seat that hadn't been given away yet somewhat close to the stage. I managed to get second row. And of course, since I'm just a natural charmer with people, especially with Stevie Nicks fans, I was front row center in a matter of a few minutes.
Actually, the whole afternoon and the whole concert was such a surreal experience, I blogged it out for all my friends, and it's like 3 pages of riveting reading.

Anyway, it was my first time at Red Rocks and Stevie was *ON*. It was a double bill with Chris Isaak, but she still performed a good set. She went for about an hour and a half.

Her set --

Stand Back
Dreams
If Anyone Falls
Rhiannon
Enchanted
Sorcerer
Gold Dust Woman (amazing version. it went on for about ten minutes)
I Need to Know
Landslide
Fall from Grace
How Still My Love
Edge of Seventeen (another amazing version. it went on for about fifteen minutes)
Rock n Roll
Beauty and the Beast
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

dsmflyer

Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:54 am

Tool at the US Cellular Center in Cedar Rapids, IA, on June 19. Good show, but not as good as the first time I saw them in 2002. I'm counting the days until fall when Porcupine Tree comes around again...best. concert(s). ever. (May 17, June 1 in Chicago).

tz757300

Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:00 am

Last concert I saw was Chicago and America in concert at the Tweeter Center in Camden NJ a couple weeks ago. It was AMAZING. We were sitting in row Q on the left and it was just as good as sitting in the pit. Excellent sound, excellent lights, excellent performance. Not to mention they were free VIP tickets from a radio station that I won.
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

stlgph

Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:07 am

Quoting DSMflyer (Reply 5):

Love Tool! Uh, thanks for the invite. Daddy cheddar would have gotten a little freaky down in the mosh pit though.

Oh well.

FighterPilot

Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:09 am

Motley Crue!!!!!!!!!!!! Back in December in London Ontario Big grin

Cal  airplane 
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

ardian

Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:02 pm

This is my list of past events. My last concert was from a punk band called Against Me! and they were pretty good. This week I've got some interesting gigs, with Blonde Redhead this evening and Daft Punk the day after tomorrow. Next to aviation, music is one of my biggest obsessions  shhh 

ShannoninAMA

Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:13 pm

None recently, but tomorrow I will be attending a concert featuring Breaking Benjamin / Papa Roach / Red / Sick puppies  yes 
Shipwreck alert. Head on over to Airspaceonline.com.

halls120

Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:13 pm

On my birthday, the SO took me to the Birchmere in Alexandria VA to see Dar Williams.

The Birchmere is an outstanding venue for live music. Small, intimate, they serve food, and it is no smoking. Always a great evening.

Concert before that was Bonnie Raitt at Wolftrap. Another great place.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

TheRedBaron

Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:25 pm

Just heard SYMPHONY X on the 23 in Mexico city with backstage passes and now one of my guitars has 5 famous guitar r player autographs (this time Michael Romeo), and special first row balcony table FTW!!!.

Awesome..... now looking forward for Porcupine Tree and RUSH !!!
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

aaway

Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:11 pm

Concerts recently attended....
Bebel Gilberto - 17Jun07 - El Rey Theater / L.A.
Snoop Dogg - 27Jun07 - 4th and B / San Diego
Deftones - 28Jun07 - Gibson Amphitheater / L.A.

Upcoming...
Los Amigos Invisibles - 13Jul07 - Galaxy Theater / Santa Ana
Femi Kuti - 20Jul07 - House of Blues L.A.
Daft Punk - 21Jul07 - L.A. Sports Arena
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

saxdiva

Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:27 pm

Last gig was about three hours ago--I played bari sax in a big band--a "concert in the park" in Huntington Beach, CA. Prior to that, it was 9:00 this morning, when I was the flute accompanist to a church choir here in Burbank. Next gig: Tuesday night at the M Bar in Hollywood--another big band, but this one's a jazz group.

As for gigs I've attended... a couple of weeks ago I saw the Scott Whitfield Jazz Orchestra at Charlie O's. Pete Christlieb was playing tenor sax, and my new friend Roger Neumann was on baritone. The next gig I get to see will be this one. I can't wait!!!

-Leanne
See terms for details....

JJJ

Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:31 pm

Right yesterday, The Cult.

Could be described as average, they did their job but didn't walk the extra mile. Last year's was much better.

plateman

Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:42 pm

Snow Patrol, OK Go and Silversun Pickups at my college. $5 tickets for general admission, can't beat that for price and a great show
"Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

Boeing744

Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:57 pm

I was at the NovaRock festival in Nickelsdorf, Austria, and saw such bands as Papa Roach, 30 Seconds to Mars, Incubus, In Flames, Machine Head, Marilyn Manson and (my favourite band) Billy Talent. It was a great festival, and absolutely massive, with approx. 170000 people!!!

Quoting ShannoninAMA (Reply 10):
Papa Roach

I was pleasantly surprised with Papa Roach. They put on a good show and knew how to get the crowd going.

EK20

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:12 pm

I watched this on tv.

IL76

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:40 pm

Slint,
In Amsterdam last month. Weird show. They played Spiderland exactly like it was recorded, and I mean exactly. Plus some other songs, but only one song of Tweez. Sound was great, musicians were great, but... No emotion what so ever. They were like zombies on stage, playing their instruments. All songs were also played slower. After the show they just walked off. No "thanks", no encore... A bit weird.
Fantastic band.
Fantastic songs.
One of my favorite albums ever.
But a live show? Boring as hell. Playing their CD at home would have sounded the same.

DABZF

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:48 pm

It was already 2 years ago but I still can not get over the U2 concert I saw in Copenhagen 2005... I'm still in ecstasy when thinking about it...  cloudnine 

My last experience was Red Hot Chilli Peppers in Stockholm last December... was good but the audience wasn't really into it. How can you be seated down during a RHCP concert, I don't know but the Swedes do  Wink
I like driving backwards in the fog cause it doesn't remind me of anything - Chris Cornell

dc10bhx

Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:41 pm

My last one was a couple of weeks ago being Meat Loaf at the NEC in Birmingham. Prior to that was Aussie Pink Floyd (which for a tribute band has got to be rated as one of the VERY best bands I have seen). Front row ticket in the middle of the first block. What a way to see a band.
 Smile
I'm lucky my job is my hobby

Steve332

Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:53 pm

I was at Aerosmith last Tues in Marley Park in Dublin then my band were playing the next night. Im playing again on Wed in Dublin before I head off to The Oxegen Festival this weekend (not to play, only goin to see The Goo Goo Dolls and Muse) then leaving that and heading to London for Metallica in Wembley on Sunday. gonna be a hectic weekend for me............ But I love it Big grin  Big grin

infodesk

Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:59 pm

The last concert I saw was OMD (Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark) in Stuttgart. I was too young to appreciate their music first time round and so extra special to see them live. They were overwhelmed by the response of the audience, who just refused to stop cheering and dancing. Fantastic!

Andaman: Those are pretty impressive images of the George Michael concert!

Greetings
Infodesk  spin 
"Do nothing in haste, look well to each step and from the beginning think what may be the end" - Edward Whymper

andaman
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:51 pm

Quoting Infodesk (Reply 23):

Andaman: Those are pretty impressive images of the George Michael concert!

Greetings
Infodesk

The stage was impressive. And they used some great LED lighting, the whole stage was one big screen.
I was totally surprised, the singing wasn't bad either  Wink
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

Femme

Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:26 pm

Was Michael Flatley's 'Lord of the Dance' at the NIA in Birmingham.

Back in March..........If you are into Irish music and dance, then this was superb and a real night to remember !

Worth every penny ( Euro) They are absolutely brilliant to watch - what a team!!

Claire  bigthumbsup 
Women don't have hot flushes, they have Power Surges....

EK20

Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:29 pm

The last actual singer we went to see was Michael Buble.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/25/60419049_50de3a5e06_o.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/29/60418040_e184723fb8_o.jpg

1stfl94

Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:43 pm

My last proper concert was Within Temptation in Glasgow, amazing night that was!!

nosedive

Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:39 am

Modest Mouse- Postbahnhof Berlin. It was about a month ago. Not my camera phone, but you get the idea.

searpqx

Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:52 am

June 10, Red Rocks Amphitheater outside Denver (see

Quoting STLGph (Reply 4):

for pictures), for the HRC True Colors Tour. If you're an old fart like me, it was pure 80s heaven. Opened with an indie/punk band out of Toronto (I think), then Dresden Dolls, Debbie Harry, Erasure and finally Cyndi Lauper, all MCd by Margaret Cho. Five hours of music and comdey in what is honestly the most spectacular outdoor venue I've ever been in.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

edelag

Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:59 am

The last concert I attended was Guns N' Roses here in Monterrey, Mx. It wasn't like I would have expected it. Plus it started 4 hours late.

The other concert I have gone this year to was Red Hot Chili Peppers in Mexico City. Now that was a concert. A very good memory.
It's not just the destination, it's the journey.

kbfispotter

Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:20 am

So far this year, I saw Blue Man Group in PDX on Feb 3rd, Silver Sunpickups, OK Go (an awesome band!!!), and Snow Patrol in Seattle at the Key Arena Feb 27th, and then just recently saw The Killers in Seattle at Qwest Field in May. In September, I am going to see Muse in SEA, and hopefully a few more (I might go see the White Stripes in Sept) and plan on attending Endfest 16 here in Seattle...

I also saw Bill Engvall in Seattle on Feb 2nd.
Proud to be an A&P!!!

vikkyvik

Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:55 am

Last concert I attended was Rush, at the Tweeter Center in Mansfield, MA, last Wednesday. Was an absolutely amazing performance. You can find the setlist and a bit more in Reply 35 of this thread:
Rush - Snakes And Arrows Tour (by Miamiair Jun 18 2007 in Non Aviation)

Quoting DSMflyer (Reply 5):
Tool

They are my next concert. I'm seeing them next Thursday, the 12th, once again at the Tweeter Center. Can't wait, as I haven't seen Tool before!
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Sabena332

Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:13 am

Quoting Andaman (Thread starter):
Your latest concert/gig experience?

Jan Delay aka the Chefstyler! It was awesome!

Best concert ever, seeing the "Chefstyler" and his band live on stage in the city which is my birthplace.

Patrick

[Edited 2007-07-03 01:23:31]
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

ShannoninAMA

Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:06 am

Just got back from the Papa roach/breaking benjamin/Sick puppies/red concert. it was awesome!  bouncy  Got a shirt with every member of every band's autograph on it too  yes  But the place was sold out (3934 people) and there was no a/c in the building  no 

Shannon half 
Shipwreck alert. Head on over to Airspaceonline.com.

gunsontheroof

Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:15 am

Most of the gigs I go to are DIY house/basement/coffee shop shows around the PNW, but I occasionally spring for big events if they're worth my money. I'll be going to the Ilosaarirock festival in Joensuu, Finland next weekend and Seattle's Bumbershoot festival in August. The last show I went to was probably in Olympia or Chehalis, but the specifics (not that anyone here would know any of the bands!) escape me at the moment.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

Evan767

Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:38 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 4):

It's quite a hike up those stairs isn't it?
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

A340Spotter

Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:52 am

Last concert I went to was Memorial Day night, May 28th, at the Verizon Center here in Houston for the one and only Morrissey. Outstanding show!

JSD
"Irregardless, it's a Cat III airplane, we don't need an alternate!"

Go3Team

Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:34 am

The last one I went to, was a Bruce and Friends show, at the Tweeter Center, in Camden, NJ last October.
Yay Pudding!

scrubbsywg

Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:54 pm

i saw ben gibbard(of the postal service and death cab for cutie fame) in somerville, mass, a suburb of boston. I was visiting boston, couldnt find tickets for weeks before, and then the night before, i managed to get one ticket. I was basically a postal service fan, with little knowledge of his death cab stuff or his solo stuff. It was a breat show, only him acoustic, playing either guitar or piano. I was impressed, he played quite a few of my favs from the postal service repetoire. He was great, and it was great to see the somerville area, which absolutely awesome.

stlgph

Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:00 pm

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 36):

It is, yes. I went up top during the Chris Isaak portion of the set to have a look around. Absolutely gorgeous and you can see the lights of Denver, and the DEN runway lights far far in the background. Breathtaking. Go sometime. Just see
-anything-. You will thank me.

Barbro

Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:55 pm

Last went to see Iron Maiden, all right!! At Hartwall Arena in Helsinki. The show was, in the very-high-standard-of-Iron-Maiden, a mediocre one. Seemed like not the best of nights for Bruce, but still, even a mediocre Iron Maiden gig is far better than anyone else!!!
Next on line, Nightwish with their new lead-singer on 1st of January! Who-hoaaa!  bouncy 

ardian

Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:39 am

I just came back from Daft Punk at the Heineken Music Hall in Amsterdam, and it was by far one of the most spectacular concerts I've ever been (I guess a solid 2nd place after my Kraftwerk concert a few years ago in 013, Tilburg Netherlands).

Great show: the visuals were breathtaking, splendid light show, excellent music quality and ofcourse: amazing electronical music (perhaps not everybody's cup of tea on this board, but they are one of my heroes!).
Here's a video taken in Düsseldorf, not made by me but you get the idea:

leigh pilgrim

Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:39 am

I have seen..........................................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGqgvRYPADY

Followed by.........................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFxHE92vPCw

And soon in Lyon................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPgnGLdj1MM

Not bad aye!