Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

captaink

"Press One For English"

Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:18 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 48):
It's an American city. It's not part of Latin America. If it wants to be part of Latin America, then it needs to become part of another nation.

I was being sarcastic dude.. Relax.. Big grin But you do know that Miami is considered the business hub of Latin America, and is considered the best city to do business in Latin America, though it is not in Latin America.

Quote:
It turns out that the best city for doing business in Latin America is not actually in Latin America.

For the third year in a row, readers of the business magazine AmericaEconomia have selected Miami as the best place to do business in the region.

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-8613956_ITM

You don't get more Latin American than that.. Big grin HAHA

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 49):
I understand bilingual services are becoming a fact of life. I can deal with it, and not have it ruin my day. I can still get phone, internet, banking services, whatever, and go on. Anything else isolates people who are here by whatever means, whose movement the government is either unable or unwilling to stem. It's a far greater problem than having to press 1 when calling a company, or having to choose one's language at an ATM.

The thing is, in other countries where English is not spoken, arrangements are made to accommodate English speakers. It is really nothing out of this world.
Look Up

Scorpio

"Press One For English"

Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:48 am

Quoting FrancoBlanco (Reply 50):
What's that supposed to mean? Remember, English is not my primary language

It means 'Damn, he's right, better revert to the good old 'play the man, not the ball' tactics to try and save face.'

So let's see, Falcon. You first write

Whoosh.....right over your head as well.

Which is then shortly followed by:

It's the fact that we are being forced, by a minority in this nation, to become bi-lingual.

So remind me again: HOW exactly are you, or ANYbody else, being forced to learn any other language than English?

Oh, in the spirit of the conversation:

Whoosh.....right over your head as well.

Nope, over yours. See, your thread wasn't necessarily exclusively about a phone system, but neither was my question.

gunsontheroof

"Press One For English"

Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:03 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 47):
It's the fact that we are being forced, by a minority in this nation, to become bi-lingual.

What the hell are you talking about Falcon? Nobody is forcing you, me, or anyone else in this country to learn to speak Spanish. Just because businesses offer services in Spanish for people who are more comfortable speaking in their native language doesn't mean that learning Spanish is going to become required--let alone used--in American public education or that business as usual is going to be conducted in Spanish. You can rest easy, your language isn't going anywhere.

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 30):
What annoys me is how many numbers I have to press in order to get a live human being on the end of the phone.

checkmark 
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

AeroWesty

"Press One For English"

Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:33 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 30):
What annoys me is how many numbers I have to press in order to get a live human being on the end of the phone.

That one's easy:

http://www.chat11.com/Get_Past_Voice_Response_Systems_Find_A_Human
International Homo of Mystery

RobertNL070

"Press One For English"

Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:14 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 48):
Then we could have English-only ATMs next to Spanish-only ATMs.

Over here we have ATMs that 'speak' Dutch, English, French and German  snooty 

Robert
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

N1120A

"Press One For English"

Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:36 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 35):
It galls me to no end that, 10 minutes from my house, there are billboards in Spanish. That should be absolutely unacceptable,

What the hell? That is freedom of speech man. If someone wants to advertise in Spanish, they can advertise in Spanish. There are Farsi advertisements all over Southern California, especially in affluent areas, they are catering to a demand

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 33):

The T-Mobile hotline offers an English option?

The pay-as-you-go one does

-This thread isn't anti-immigrant.

Yes its.

It, again, is about immigrants doing what is necessary to adapt and function in the American society. I

The vast majority of immigrants learn English, that isn't an issue. I only know of 1 person of Hispanic origin that I have met in the last 20 years who has had a hard time with the language, and that guy has actually functioned quite well and been a valuable contributer to society. And he is legal, if you had that question

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 37):

Neither, but it should be made to make sure new arrivals, within a given amout of time here, learn to speak and read the language, or they cannot become a citizen. Exceptions can and should be made for the elderly, but if you're working age, you learn the language, or you don't qualify for any benefits, and cannot qualify to be a citizen.

Hello. Equal Protection. Not "Equal protection, IF you speak English" but Equal Protection

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 54):

Over here we have ATMs that 'speak' Dutch, English, French and German

I have seen ones in the US that are also in Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese...
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

LOT767-300ER

"Press One For English"

Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:44 am

My Chase ATM language preference is set to Polish. Infact, it rocks!

nosedive

"Press One For English"

Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:48 am

It's the fact that we are being forced, by a minority in this nation, to become bi-lingual. Many simply want those of us already here to accept Spanish as a language of this nation, and I won't do that. English is, and should be the language of this nation, especially in places of commerce and education.

So lemme get this strait. We're afraid of being "forced" be to become bi-lingual. Last time I checked, the Germans aren't tripping up in Turkish lessons, and the French aren't sweating over Arabic tests, official language or not. Oh wait, "this isn't Europe blah, blah, blah"

Wanna bet? They're in Spanish because a lot of people who live in that community choose not to become part of the mainstream, and speak English. Many DON'T speak English.

So you want to "encourage" people to learn English. So where do we draw the line? Let's say I'm of Hispanic heritage, living in El Paso. In all my years, I've never learned English. Oh, and I was born in the United States, so you can't strip me of my citizenship. Why should a citizen be infringed to learn anything if he does not want to learn anything?

Here's how I see it, mandating that the official language of commerce in the United States be English infringes on my rights to conduct business in any manner I see fit. If I want to offer 15 languages, get over it. If I want to only offer Mandarin, not your problem.

But in the cold reality of the world, if you don't speak the language spoken by most of the citizens, you will, more ofthen than not, struggle to make it.

Why should I worry if you do not wish to integrate? Oh yeah, I make profits off you. Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

N1120A

"Press One For English"

Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:48 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 56):
My Chase ATM language preference is set to Polish. Infact, it rocks!

HOW DARE YOU!!!! Don't you know they should take your citizenship away for that?  sarcastic 
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

halls120

"Press One For English"

Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:53 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 53):
Quoting Halls120 (Reply 30):What annoys me is how many numbers I have to press in order to get a live human being on the end of the phone.That one's easy:http://www.chat11.com/Get_Past_Voice_Response_Systems_Find_A_Human

Thanks!
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

LOT767-300ER

"Press One For English"

Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:03 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 58):
HOW DARE YOU!!!! Don't you know they should take your citizenship away for that?

*GASP* *SHOCK* *NO IT CANT BE TRUE*

The only bad thing is, the Polski language selection is the last one...right under Russian. Most unacceptable!  grumpy 

captaink

"Press One For English"

Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:08 am

Why aren't people happy that the US is so cosmopolitan. Come out of the a subway in Chinatown, Manhattan and you think you are Bejing or something. The signs on all the buildings are in Mandarin (i think) and English. OOOH some people must hate that. America is made up of people from around the world, just so happens that there more Latin Americans that other groups so spanish is making a bigger impact.

Many of my family members some of whom rarely left New York, are saying 'mucho', 'cerveza', 'chica' etc now. I know they are just playing around but it just goes to show the effect the culture mix is having.

Better start dealing with it Falcon 84.
Look Up

Blackbird

RE: "Press One For English"

Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:13 am

In my opinion, if you live here you should be speaking English. On the other note, we should also try to learn other languages, especially when visiting foreign countries.

While in America:
SPEAK ENGLISH! CAPISCE?

Andrea K

nycflyer

Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:42 am

Falcon, unlike others on this thread, I actually understand what you're saying, I know you're not being anti-immigrant.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 41):
Forms for immigrants should be available in their language, even if they do speak some English, simply to make the process of coming here more comfortable.

I disagree when it comes to voting. Voting forms should all be in English. To vote in the U.S., you must be a U.S. citizen. To be a U.S. citizen, you are either born here and learned English in school even if your parents did not speak it, or you were naturalized. To be naturalized, you must be in the U.S. about 5 years, and have an English-language interview and take an English-language multiple choice test. So, discounting the odd exception, no one who votes in the U.S. (not counting PR) has a good reason not to know English!

Quoting Captaink (Reply 50):
The thing is, in other countries where English is not spoken, arrangements are made to accommodate English speakers. It is really nothing out of this world.

There's a big difference. English is the world's second language, the great common denominator. You get a German and a Korean together, and they likely won't know each other's language, but they are likely to be able to converse in English. Therefore it is pretty logical for non-English speaking countries to have signs in English.

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 51):
So remind me again: HOW exactly are you, or ANYbody else, being forced to learn any other language than English?

You really don't get it...

Falcon84
Topic Author

Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:28 pm

Quoting FrancoBlanco (Reply 50):
What's that supposed to mean? Remember, English is not my primary language

It means 'Damn, he's right, better revert to the good old 'play the man, not the ball' tactics to try and save face.'

It means the real point of the thread when right over his head, and yours, Scorpio. Completely. Utterly.

With the tide of Spanish becoming more and more "accepted", it will, if not checked, force people like myself, who are born and raised in this country, and who speak the language that this nation was founded on, to learn a second language, simply because some people refuse to learn the language of this nation.

"When in Rome, do as the Romans." In other words, if you come here to live, learn English, in written and spoken form, or you should not be allowed citizenship.

Nope, over yours. See, your thread wasn't necessarily exclusively about a phone system, but neither was my question.

Whatever. Your questioned focused exclusively on the phone system.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 55):

-This thread isn't anti-immigrant.

Yes its.

Whatever. I guess you can read my mind. It is not. I am not asking for a halt to immigration. I'm asking that those who come here to live learn to read and speak the language that we have here. That's common sense, nothing else.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 37):

Neither, but it should be made to make sure new arrivals, within a given amout of time here, learn to speak and read the language, or they cannot become a citizen. Exceptions can and should be made for the elderly, but if you're working age, you learn the language, or you don't qualify for any benefits, and cannot qualify to be a citizen.

Hello. Equal Protection. Not "Equal protection, IF you speak English" but Equal Protection

What does "equal protection" have to do with being denied citizenship? If you don't speak the language, and refuse to speak the language, except in cases of the elderly, then you should not be given American citizenship. That denies no one equal protection under any law, but will deny someone citizenship. Again, in Rome, do as the Romans do. In the U.S. do as we do-speak our language.

Quoting NYCFlyer (Reply 63):
Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 41):
Forms for immigrants should be available in their language, even if they do speak some English, simply to make the process of coming here more comfortable.

I disagree when it comes to voting. Voting forms should all be in English.

And, as you say, you can only vote if a citizen, so that's redundant. What I mean by "forms" is those forms needed to process one's immigration into this nation; those that help a new arrival get started here; those that explain what will be required to become a citizen and vote. That's what I mean.

Again, this is not anti-immigrant. What this is about is an anti-English movement in this nation, that will, in time, divide the nation, not unite it.
Work Right, Fly Hard

j_hallgren

Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:19 pm

While I find the "1 for English" irritating, as I believe at some point it may be '1 for Spanish, 2 for English" what really bugs me is the mixed English/Spanish verbiage on packaging! If the Engish was on one side and the Spanish on the other, as most English/French packaging from Canada is that I've seen, then it's not as bad...but trying to read a label and every other one/two words is Spanish makes it REALLY hard to do so quickly!
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

LOT767-300ER

Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:45 pm

Honestly, Im not bothered by anything thats in Spanish.

Quoting J_Hallgren (Reply 67):
If the Engish was on one side and the Spanish on the other,

So what? In Poland we have 4-5 languages on almost every grocery sold in stores such as in Polish then in Czech, Russian, Hungarian, German and French. I dont see a problem at all.

I cant speak Spanish at all and Ive never had a problem communication in Chicago which has the largest Mexican population after Los Angeles and Miami.

flyingbabydoc

Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:50 pm

This nation was founded on the English Language, and that is the language spoken here.

Actually you were only two votes shy of having GERMAN as your official language. Now that would have been fun, right?  Wink

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 54):
Over here we have ATMs that 'speak' Dutch, English, French and German

Ha! We beat you. My bank (Deutsche Bank) offers in any ATM German, English, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Turkish and in some Russian and Polish!

Alex
Marriage is the art of turning a lover into a relative

j_hallgren

Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:04 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 68):
So what? In Poland we have 4-5 languages on almost every grocery sold in stores such as in Polish then in Czech, Russian, Hungarian, German and French. I dont see a problem at all.

When I was in Sweden visiting, the same thing was true with Swedish/Norwegian/Finnish/Danish, but they were in SEPARATE parts/sides of the package, not all interspersed, which was my point of contention...
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

LOT767-300ER

Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:05 pm

Quoting J_Hallgren (Reply 70):
When I was in Sweden visiting, the same thing was true with Swedish/Norwegian/Finnish/Danish, but they were in SEPARATE parts/sides of the package, not all interspersed, which was my point of contention...

I dont think so, look at a Mars bar or a pack of Chio Chips.

FrancoBlanco

Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:08 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 64):
It means the real point of the thread when right over his head, and yours, Scorpio. Completely. Utterly.

Confused  Confused  Confused

I really tried to figure out what this sentence is supposed to mean, I just don't get it. 'When right over his head'? Did you mean 'went'?
'Pointless!' - NY Times

Scorpio

Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:57 pm

With the tide of Spanish becoming more and more "accepted", it will, if not checked, force people like myself, who are born and raised in this country, and who speak the language that this nation was founded on, to learn a second language, simply because some people refuse to learn the language of this nation.

Ah, so this is about what *might*, in some very distant future, *possibly* become the case *if*, etc...? Yes, that sounds like a reason to get your panties in a bunch...

Whatever.

Brilliant response. And exactly the kind I had expected.  Yeah sure

Your questioned focused exclusively on the phone system.

My question, you mean. Not my questioned. Your original post here was *also* about the phone system. But when you do it, it's perfectly OK, right?

The thread when right over my head? Brilliant! Especially in a thread where you're preaching about the English language...  laughing 

And no.

Banco

Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:34 pm

What this is about is an anti-English movement in this nation, that will, in time, divide the nation, not unite it.

I don't see how. The truth is, whilst you can get by in America without English, if you really want to succeed, you have to learn the language. That's a far more powerful driver than any move to make English official.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

ZakHH

Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:02 pm

What can be seen in this thread is that several different things are all mixed up into one, and some ideas or complaints are not carefully thought out.

Some say that anybody who wants to live in a certain country should be able to speak the native language. I would agree on that one. If you want to be part of that country, you should be able to speak the local language. It cannot work otherwise. Thus, I would encourage the Hispanic population of the USA to learn English, as well as I would encourage the Turkish population in Germany to learn German (both serving only as example, no offense intended).

Still, almost every country hosts a lot of people who are not native speakers of the local language. Now, as I said above: you can buy from a person in almost every language, but you can sell only (or at least best) in their native language.

Companies recognized this, hence they advertise and offer services in the native languages of their customers. To find that annoying or even asking to restrict it seems grotesque to me. And it has nothing to do with the fact that probably too many immigrants do not speak English properly.

Thus, in short:
Immigrants should learn the local language - agreed.
Companies should not offer services in others than the local language - absurd.

Having to press 1 to continue in English is about the 2nd issue, and it is the most convenient option I can think of towards the English-speaking majority. Thus, I do not understand what the fuss is about.
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

AeroWesty

Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:09 pm

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 76):
I do not understand what the fuss is about.

The fuss is that it's a constant, daily reminder that our borders aren't secure, and that no one's really doing anything about it. It gets under the skin of many Americans, and they take it out in ways others who don't live with this may not understand. We're not the ones who are supposed to be conquered, we're not the ones who are supposed to adapt, everyone else is supposed to adapt to us.

Whether it's spoken or not, that's a firmly held belief of a lot of Americans. All you have to do is read this board closely, and you'll see it.

Now I'm not saying I agree or endorse that outlook, I'm just explaining what's going on.
International Homo of Mystery

ZakHH

Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:22 pm

Thanks, Westy, I was assuming just that. But that is what I meant with "mixing things up". If Americans are demanding from their government that more is done to make immigrants learn English, I could hardly object.

But why is that not articulated? After all, it is not even hostile towards immigrants.

Attacking companies for a certain customer-mindedness is what I don't get. Even if all immigrants spoke perfect English, companies would probably still adress them in their native languages.

I can understand that people don't like to see Spanish billboards. I have to admit, I don't really like the Turkish ones here as well. But I accept them. There is a target audience, so there is companies adressing them. Why not?

Am I going out of bounds when I suppose that there is often more behind it than just the language issue?

ABQ747

Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:59 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 83):
Oh that is complete and utter nonsense. Immigrants learn English. It just happens that sometimes it is easier for them to communicate in their native language and it makes economic sense to accommodate that.

Now that's nonsense. There are many immigrants who refuse to learn English. They teach their kids Spanish, and can't speak a word of English. If you live in the US, learning to speak English is essential.

You ever think they were new here?

That customer said they were from Texas.

Oh, now that is rich. My dad came to this country legally and spoke very little English. He had to have things translated for him too. That happens with lots of people. They learn.

Good for him. He learned English. No problem.

No they don't, they figure that someone in a place called "New Mexico" will be able to help them out while they learn

Do you have any idea what you are talking about? The problem is that many of these people won't ever learn English. That's why they want everything translated.

Like I said, every single Mexican person I have ever met in the US has been able to speak English to some degree.

There are plenty of people out there who don't know a word of English. I even encounter some in the store where I work.

How about learning a little tolerance along with it.

If you tolerate everything, you stand for nothing.

n710ps

Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:08 pm

I agree with Why the F should I have to press one for english. This nation is an english speaking nation, out constitution is in english, everything is written in english thus if you want to endulge in what is great here speak the friggin language or leave. I do not go to other nations without at least a basic understanding of their language. If I go to Dominican republic I speak spanish so why the hell cant they learn it. Same with the mexicans. they want to suck our economic tit but wont speak the language. You want the rights speak the language they are written in or take a long walk off of a short pier.
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

n710ps

Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:16 pm

People talk about anti immigrant and such from other nations on this board but let me tell you that in my freshmen year of high school my parents took me to Paris and around France on vacation and I did not learn the language or at least some basic prior and I was shat on by the french the entire trip. I was treated as if I was offensive. So anyone who speaks of how we are anti immigrant should check their own national stance first. Sorry essay, back across the river with you till you do it the proper way. Take all 14 kids while your at it.

ZakHH

Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:38 pm

Quoting N710PS (Reply 85):
I agree with Why the F should I have to press one for english. This nation is an english speaking nation, out constitution is in english, everything is written in english thus if you want to endulge in what is great here speak the friggin language or leave.

And you would say that it should be forbidden for private companies to offer services in other languages than English?

n710ps

Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:41 pm

I think there should be no reason for it here in the states as thjere are many places around the world elsewhere that refuse to do so on English. Why the heck should we.

ZakHH

Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:03 pm

No reason for forbidding other languages?
Or no reason for offering other languages?

Not quite clear from your post.

n710ps

Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:09 pm

I think there is no exucse here in America why it should be offered in alot of areas of communication . You must speak english to be a citizen therefore meaning that you should be able to understand English to be a citizen. Now for benifit of the doubt when I fly into other nations which is rare with the carrier I am with I do my best to use the native language of thatl and meaning mainly French when I fly to parts of Canada. That is of reasons for safety though. If you live here, speak it. If you are a guest here, learn basic and speak basic here because I do the smae when going to other nations not of the English tounge. Respect.

ZakHH

Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:19 pm

So you say private entities should not be allowed to offer any kind of services in other languages than English.
I guess, as a matter of consequence, you would then have to completely forbid other languages to be spoken in public. Or where else would you draw the line?

n710ps

Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:27 pm

I did not state it is forbidden but the primary reason why they offer it in the first place is becuase of the sap suckers who swim across to take advantage of thje system but do not want to contribute in return. Now if we reform things there will be a catch for them and force them to at least learn the darn language. In work places everything but english is forbidden. In my company for certain. That is inter employee communication wise. I am not trying to be a jerk but I have my opinion.

ZakHH

Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:46 pm

Guess what... in my (German) company, German is "forbidden", at least for use in documents etc. Reason is that we have several international offices, and documents need to be read by everyone. Of course, we still speak mostly German with each other, but written communication is mostly in English.

Again - I fully support that immigrants should be encouraged to learn English. No doubt about it.

Still, even if all of them did, companies would still sell in Spanish. Because it is easier to sell to a native Spanish speaker in Spanish than it is in English. So you would either have to forbid Spanish, or throw all native Spanish speakers out.

Unless that is what you want, I'm afraid you will have to continue pressing 1 for English.

aloges

Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:49 pm

Just one question: Why are these threads always about Spanish and Latin Americans? The number of anti-Lat-Am threads in this forum is staggering, yet I cannot seem to remember one single thread aimed at Asian college students and the languages they bring to the US and many other countries. Nor do I see that much disgust and outright hatred aimed at immigrants from the Middle East.

So it's all down to the "dirty Mexicans" phenomenon again. They come to the place to earn money cleaning up after our oh-so-superior native English speakers (and those who don't think they're better for that reason), many of them actually being there legally, and the only thing they're welcomed with is a contemptuous "Get your dirty feet out of my front lawn!" Pathetic.

"Secure" your borders (GDR, anyone?), prosecute illegal US residents and deport them (Armenian genocide, anyone?) and wipe out all references to languages other than English (mandatory Mandarin in China, anyone?) and maybe then those people left will be happy. I however am sure that they'd turn towards hating "dirty Southerners" and "treacherous Northerners".

Thank GOD that none of this is representative of the US I got to know so far!  relieved  The country has often been described as a "melting pot" or "salad bowl", personally I think the latter is more accurate, and as far as anyone can tell it's served you (and us as well) quite nicely. It would be a terrible mistake to let the narrow minds of a few jingoistic nationalists get in the way of further successful evolvement of the nation - any nation, really. The only places where the government rules over the culture(s) of the people are dictatorships.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

pipo777

Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:56 pm

Quoting ABQ747 (Reply 84):
Do you have any idea what you are talking about? The problem is that many of these people won't ever learn English. That's why they want everything translated.

Ok, can you please tell me how is that affecting you???

Are you getting less services from the companies who offer their services to accomodate people who speak other languages??? are you missing out on something just because of this??

I agree if someone goes to the US, they should at least try to learn the language...but I don't understand how that affects you, or anyone else, if they don't...I mean it's them who are missing out by not learning the language...

Banco

Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:02 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 86):

A bit depressing that it takes a German to point out the very strengths of the United States to its citizens.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

n710ps

Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:06 pm

Let me clarify this one. All Immigrants! All people. Arab, European, Asian, Mexican, Martian, African, I do not care. My ex is from Puerto Rico and when she would babble on in Spanish around me in my house with her family and to me that was rude though I speak the house is my house and it is an english speaking house therefore need I state the obvious. I feel the same way when fellow crew members start speaking forign languages here. I occasionally crew with a Bengalli girl and in one city she has this guy who is also Bengalli and they babble on yada yada in Bengalli untill I tell them to shut the heck up or speak english around me. The tail number starts with an N therefore registered in the USA and therefore english shall be spoken.

aloges

Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:20 pm

Quoting N710PS (Reply 89):
The tail number starts with an N therefore registered in the USA and therefore english shall be spoken.

Oh sheesh... no need to be so uptight about it. Let people do what they want so they'll let you do what you want. I do see your point*, meaning that I prefer to speak English when that is the "lingua franca", but I'm totally fine with foreign (to me) languages being spoken in my presence. There's simply no point in telling other people how to act unless you're law enforcement, in the military, or these people are your employees.

* About a week ago I was around a huge group (more than 800 people) of exchange students in Chicago, going home after one year in the US. I accompanied a group of Germans back home and spent a lot of time with them. Many spoke English among themselves, and as soon as a non-German speaker approached us, all conversations switched to English. But like I said - everyone was fine with e.g. the Dutch students speaking their language.

halls120

Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:30 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 35):-This thread isn't anti-immigrant. Yes its.

No it isn't. No one is saying the US shouldn't be open to legal immigration. Some of us are just saying that if you come to this country to live permanently, you should learn english. Just like if I moved to Germany, I'd learn to speak German.

We aren't saying you should give up your native language.

"When in Rome, do as the Romans." In other words, if you come here to live, learn English, in written and spoken form, or you should not be allowed citizenship.

Being able to demonstrate a proficiency in written and spoken english is already a prerequisite for naturalization.

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 73):
Some say that anybody who wants to live in a certain country should be able to speak the native language. I would agree on that one. If you want to be part of that country, you should be able to speak the local language. It cannot work otherwise.

checkmark 

Thus, in short:
Immigrants should learn the local language - agreed.
Companies should not offer services in others than the local language - absurd.

checkmark 

Just one question: Why are these threads always about Spanish and Latin Americans?

Perhaps because most of the people who come here to live from outside the US and don't speak english speak spanish instead.

So it's all down to the "dirty Mexicans" phenomenon again. They come to the place to earn money cleaning up after our oh-so-superior native English speakers (and those who don't think they're better for that reason), many of them actually being there legally, and the only thing they're welcomed with is a contemptuous "Get your dirty feet out of my front lawn!" Pathetic.

What is pathetic is your lame attempt to bring this discussion down into the gutter.

I am a descendant of German immigrants. When my relatives came to this country in the 19th century, their children were forbidden to speak german by their parents. My grandmother used to tell us stories about her grandfather speaking german with her grandmother, but telling the grandkids that they must speak english now that they were in America.

This isn't a thread about illegal immigration. It isn't about banning the use of languages other than english. it is about the necessity of a nation having a common language for the overall public good.

Quoting Banco (Reply 88):
A bit depressing that it takes a German to point out the very strengths of the United States to its citizens.

Too bad he couldn't make those points without delving into the gutter.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

TACAA320

Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:37 pm

What's the big deal?

Just because you have to press "1 for English" ?

On the contrary, my country has an official language and we have to "press 1 for Spanish".

We have to options: 1) Press 1, or 2) Don't call?. Can't find a third option in this regard.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

aloges

Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:44 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 91):
What is pathetic is your lame attempt to bring this discussion down into the gutter.

Gutter? Please, as you must have the "evidence", show me where I used swear words, insults or anti-Americanisms other than to examplify other people's slurs.

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 91):
This isn't a thread about illegal immigration. It isn't about banning the use of languages other than english. it is about the necessity of a nation having a common language for the overall public good.

Hmmm... that's at least the second redefinition of the topic of this thread. First, as per the thread starter, it was about the phone help line "issue", then it was about

an anti-English movement in this nation, that will, in time, divide the nation, not unite it

and now it's about common languages. This need not even be in Spanish to confuse people.

Well, well... I guess I should let my city government know that I disagree with the "this area is under video surveillance" signs posted in German, English and Turkish at the train station. The fare-dodging notice on the train should also be German-only, just like the numerous signs alerting people not to open the doors before the train stops or not to pull the emergency brake illegally. Where I'm going with this: languages are, for the most part, tools that help you communicate.
They are of course parts of culture, but cultures interact and hence so should languages. If people immigrate to a country, it's usually not because of the perceived culture of that country, but due to personal opportunities - and as long as these opportunities provide benefits to people, they and not adaptation should be the number one priority.

pipo777

Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:47 pm

Quoting N710PS (Reply 89):
The tail number starts with an N therefore registered in the USA and therefore english shall be spoken.

jajajajaja or is hahahahaha??????  laughing 

My uncle flies an N registered aircraft in Venezuela...are you suggesting he should communicate in english with his fellow Venezuelan crew members because it is an N registered aircraft???

That comment is just plain stupid...

Falcon84
Topic Author

Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:50 pm

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 71):
Ah, so this is about what *might*, in some very distant future, *possibly* become the case *if*, etc...? Yes, that sounds like a reason to get your panties in a bunch...

Distant future? It's happening at a faster and faster rate in this nation. It's not some "distant future"; it's something that is upon us, in much of the nation, right now.

Thus, I do not understand what the fuss is about.

The fuss is that those of us who speak English, who have lived here all are lives, are being asked that WE adapt to the language of many of the immigrants, not the other way around. And that's not right.
Work Right, Fly Hard

n710ps

Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:52 pm

The bottom line is we are flying in the USA on a US registered airplane, for a US air carrier. Therefore unless the revenue in back and destination or origin suggest it wise meaning we are flying to a city of forign location I will use and endorse the use of english and english only. Also for your uncles sake if the airplane is a US registered plane. If something goes wrong or the airplane crashes, spanish on the flight deck and communication error could be used as a fault in the cause thus meaning a contributing factor will be pilot error even if the actual issue was not origionally. Not to mention that the language of aviation worldwide is in fact english

[Edited 2007-07-04 15:52:43]

Scorpio

Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:02 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 95):
Distant future? It's happening at a faster and faster rate in this nation. It's not some "distant future"; it's something that is upon us, in much of the nation, right now.

I don't see how. Tell you even more: even if Spanish were to be made an official language, you would still, contrary to what you seem to believe, not be forced to learn it. What you seem to be showing is a classic case of xenofobia: fear of the unknown.

Quoting N710PS (Reply 96):
Therefore unless the revenue in back and destination or origin suggest it wise meaning we are flying to a city of forign location I will use and endorse the use of english and english only.

Yes. Screw customer service. Speak English or get lost.

I hope you remember what you said here the next time you are on a non-US airline, from a non-English speaking country, and are still served in English.

[Edited 2007-07-04 16:06:30]

aloges

Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:09 pm

The fuss is that those of us who speak English, who have lived here all are lives, are being asked that WE adapt to the language of many of the immigrants, not the other way around. And that's not right.

How so? By being told to press "1" on your phone so you can skip foreign language options? By seeing a billboard in Spanish that obviously isn't aimed at you? By learning that children of Latin American immigrants can study subjects in Spanish in Californian schools?

If you had to listen to three or four language options before the phone computer continues in English automatically, would that be better? If that billboard was in English and aimed at British immigrants, would you be offended? If those children had to learn English first and then continue to study other subjects, wouldn't that be a tremendous waste of time and tax money compared to teaching them English along with everything else?

Quoting N710PS (Reply 96):
If something goes wrong or the airplane crashes, spanish on the flight deck and communication error could be used as a fault in the cause thus meaning a contributing factor will be pilot error even if the actual issue was not origionally. Not to mention that the language of aviation worldwide is in fact english

The official ICAO languages are English, Arabic, Chinese, French, Spanish and Russian with English being the de facto lingua franca - which means that, in a Spanish-apeaking environment such as Venezuela, usage of that language is perfectly legal, acceptable and professional. I'd argue that it would be upon an English-speaking crew encountering difficulty understanding what they need to understand (such as instructions given to other traffic in Spanish) to ask for clarification, "in English, please".

[Edited 2007-07-04 16:14:19]

ZakHH

Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:18 pm

The fuss is that those of us who speak English, who have lived here all are lives, are being asked that WE adapt to the language of many of the immigrants...

By a facultative language selection (which you can bypass by pressing 1)?
Come on, that's ridiculous.