Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SansVGs
Topic Author

IPhone Stress

Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:30 pm

Went out and snapped up the Iphone on the first day (one of the few benefits of living in Ohio--they are actually available here is large quantity). I finally got around to trying to set it up only to realize it was not talking to my computer which is a Mac. Miffed, I downloaded the new Itunes in hopes of a fix and posted some more. After the lengthy download I want back, and still no luck.

I actually had to read the help section to find out that my computer (not that old) runs 10.3.9 rather than the required 10.4.1. So now I have to go purchase OS X Tiger to get the Iphone to work. What is ironic is that if I had any ole' POS PC the IPhone would work famously with a free ITurnes download. But because I am a loyal Mac / Ipod customer, I have to go spend even more money.

Is anyone else having this experience?
Winglets on a Falcon are "over-painting" a great work of art.

AeroWesty

RE: IPhone Stress

Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:40 pm

Quoting SansVGs (Thread starter):
What is ironic is that if I had any ole' POS PC the IPhone would work famously with a free ITurnes download.

But then you'd be running ... any ol' POS PC.
International Homo of Mystery

Springbok747

Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:50 pm

So now I have to go purchase OS X Tiger to get the Iphone to work.

But because I am a loyal Mac / Ipod customer, I have to go spend even more money.

Exactly the reason I still stick to my POS Windows machine..the damn thing just works.

Apple is nice, but I hate the 'extras' one needs to go out and purchase to make it work (like the iPod dock for example..it is so annoying not to have it, but the thing costs 50 bucks here).
אני תומך בישראל

saxdiva

Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:47 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 2):
Apple is nice, but I hate the 'extras' one needs to go out and purchase to make it work (like the iPod dock for example..it is so annoying not to have it, but the thing costs 50 bucks here)

Why not just use the cable that comes with it? I think the dock is over-rated, you can accomplish a lot with stuff you probably already have; I had an old stereo that didn't work in my bedroom, and I just replaced it with a surplus set of PC speakers and my iPod. Now, I've got music in there, with a fraction of the footprint my stereo used. Connected to the amp in our studio, I can also run my iPod through the monitor speakers we have in there (though that's when you start to hear the limitations of compressed audio).
See terms for details....

Klaus

Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:17 pm

I actually had to read the help section to find out that my computer (not that old) runs 10.3.9 rather than the required 10.4.1. So now I have to go purchase OS X Tiger to get the Iphone to work. What is ironic is that if I had any ole' POS PC the IPhone would work famously with a free ITurnes download. But because I am a loyal Mac / Ipod customer, I have to go spend even more money.

I can understand your frustration. Getting home and learning that the new toy won't work right away is always a drag.

But MacOS 10.3 "Panther" has been superseded by 10.4 "Tiger" over two years ago already, so it would be a stretch to expect the brand-new iPhone to work with it right away. By comparison, Windows Vista is just now being introduced, so of course XP is still supported. The predecessor of XP (more than five years past) is not, of course.

The requirement of 10.4 for the iPhone is properly indicated everywhere, so it's not exactly been misleading...

artsyman

Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:28 pm

The Iphone comes with the dock included, it is nlot a separate purchase

57AZ

Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:16 am

Can't say that I'm surprised by interface problems with the new technology. They'll get the bugs out eventually and getting to deal with the bugs is a risk that the trendsetters always face. I'll take my trusty iPaq over the iPhone anytime. I've had it for five years and it works fine with my up to date Compaq PC. Right now I'm searching for the GPS attachments it has-don't recall where I put them. Don't really need that function since I have a Garmin receiver but would like to find them nontheless.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

yowza

Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:23 am

I got a chance to play with a friend's iPhone (visiting from NY) over the weekend. It's nifty but it didn't exactly make me blow my load, which is more than I can say for some people. (Great hype sells good products and Mac are masters of this)

He also pointed out a few frustrations of the iPhone but on the whole it's not a bad little thing.

YOWza

Klaus

Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:28 am

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 6):
Can't say that I'm surprised by interface problems with the new technology.

What "interface problems"? It works as advertised in that regard.

SansVGs just didn't check the requirements beforehand. Which is surely frustrating for him, but that a brand-new product will actually work with an OS that's two years out of distribution is quite unlikely to begin with.

fumanchewd

Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:30 am

I read an aritcle the other day where they said that you have to send the Iphone in for 3-4 days to replace the battery. Seems as though its hardwired in. That's bad engineering.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

Klaus

Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:42 am

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 9):
I read an aritcle the other day where they said that you have to send the Iphone in for 3-4 days to replace the battery. Seems as though its hardwired in. That's bad engineering.

No. It's a compromise just like others. A user-exchangeable battery adds weight and bulk and lowers reliability and mechanical stability.

And for most people a battery exchange is at least 2-3 years off, and will be quick enough even then (just like the iPod, the iPhone is certain to see bring-in service providers and do-it-yourself kits for battery exchange in addition to the official solution).

For a few people the fixed battery may actually be a real-life limitation. But for most people it will remain a non-issue.

fumanchewd

Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:49 am

I've had BBs and Treos for years and not a month goes by where I don't need to take out the battery because of a frozen screen or a need to do a hard reboot.

The Iphone is different, of course, and I haven't toyed with one. But I don't know of many phones that don't need the battery to be taken out on a fairly periodic basis. I don't really know that much about the Iphone but I would be very suspicious that this may cause problems.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

LH423

Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:36 pm

I was at an Apple Store today getting some cosmetic problems sorted with my computer since it's still under warranty and while waiting for my appointment at the Genius Bar I saw that most around me were there to deal with issues regarding their iPhones.

One more reason why I like GSM phones, it seemed like Apple was very accommodating with replacing defective models and getting a new phone was as easy as switching your SIM card for all your numbers and data to be there.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Klaus

Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:40 pm

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 11):
I've had BBs and Treos for years and not a month goes by where I don't need to take out the battery because of a frozen screen or a need to do a hard reboot.

Both the iPod and the iPhone can be reset through a button combination; Removing the battery for a reset is not needed as far as I can tell.

Quoting LH423 (Reply 12):
One more reason why I like GSM phones, it seemed like Apple was very accommodating with replacing defective models and getting a new phone was as easy as switching your SIM card for all your numbers and data to be there.

As far as I'm aware that actually doesn't apply to the iPhone. You should be able to make calls after switching the SIM to a new one, but you'd need to re-synchronize your data from your computer to get contacts and other data on it again.

jush

Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:47 pm

The bad thing why I would never buy one is cause I have to stick with the horrible software. I just can't plug it on my computer and drag and drop with my explorer can I Klaus? Let's the what apple's advocate has to say about this. I have the Ipod nano which is remarkably good and the inbuilt battery is a non problem as you say. But the software is one. Having to stick with Itunes is just... well rubbish. I tried some freeware programs but they weren't any good. I'd like to drag and drop but I can't and that sucks. Well but other new mp3players don't give you that option either so I'll stick with my poddie.

Regds
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

Klaus

Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:53 pm

Quoting Jush (Reply 14):
The bad thing why I would never buy one is cause I have to stick with the horrible software. I just can't plug it on my computer and drag and drop with my explorer can I Klaus?

I've never understood why anybody would actually want that - it's like asking for a hand-crank to start your new Mercedes instead of just using the electric starter...!

The only possible reason I could think of would be that the titles might be a mess of un-tagged files with the file name as the only identification. I can only recommend anybody to just set the tags properly. After that, it is a whole lot easier to use the list management functions in iTunes than fiddling with the files could ever be.

Quoting Jush (Reply 14):
I have the Ipod nano which is remarkably good and the inbuilt battery is a non problem as you say. But the software is one. Having to stick with Itunes is just... well rubbish. I tried some freeware programs but they weren't any good. I'd like to drag and drop but I can't and that sucks.

Sure you can:

Simply disable automatic synchronization for the iPod, then select the titles you want in any of the iTunes playlists or in the main library and drag them to the iPod in the iTunes side bar. Or select the iPod's library, then select the titles you want to remove and press Delete.

All smart Playlists on the iPod will automatically update when modifying its content through iTunes and you're free to create or change playlists on the iPod as you wish.

Much more comfortable than the file explorer could ever be.

jush

Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:57 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 15):
Much more comfortable than the file explorer could ever be.

I know did that.... and it's not. Itunes isn't that good and manual transfer via Itunes just isn't an alternative at all.

jushin
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

Klaus

Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:06 pm

Quoting Jush (Reply 16):
I know did that.... and it's not. Itunes isn't that good and manual transfer via Itunes just isn't an alternative at all.

Why not? What can a mangled filename give you that a fully sorted and filtered view with all tags and playlists can't?

jush

Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:20 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 17):
Why not? What can a mangled filename give you that a fully sorted and filtered view with all tags and playlists can't?

Well maybe the option to just put a single song on the Ipod very quickly without starting Itunes adding it to that stupid library and then synchronize for funs sake. I only have the 1 Gb option and I don't even need that space. I just put a few songs on there and sometimes I'd like to add one or two songs without the hassle of starting Itunes.
Add to that, that you get a bullshit load of problems if you connect your Ipod with another computer. First of all the computer needs Itunes to copy files on the Ipod. That is rubbish if I'm at a friends computer or someone elses (I guess that is for copyright reason). Anyway I think that sucks. The other problem is if my friend has the option enabled to synchronize automatically. There is a little warning and then his whole playlist gets copied on the Ipod and yours is deleted forever. Well at least until I go to my computer and synchronize again. Well now don't tell me that ain't bullshit.
I don't know any user who is satisfied with Itunes and if you are then congratulations you are the first one. Organising music with the ID3tag is one thing that is nice but there are thousands of things which aren't AT ALL...

Regds
jush

edited for typos

[Edited 2007-07-10 17:22:40]

Klaus

Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:54 pm

Quoting Jush (Reply 18):
Well maybe the option to just put a single song on the Ipod very quickly without starting Itunes adding it to that stupid library and then synchronize for funs sake. I only have the 1 Gb option and I don't even need that space. I just put a few songs on there and sometimes I'd like to add one or two songs without the hassle of starting Itunes.

If someone listens to music frequently enough to be annoyed about any shortcomings, iTunes would be running already anyway. I don't really see the problem here, beyond maybe just not being used to it.

Quoting Jush (Reply 18):
Add to that, that you get a bullshit load of problems if you connect your Ipod with another computer. First of all the computer needs Itunes to copy files on the Ipod. That is rubbish if I'm at a friends computer or someone elses (I guess that is for copyright reason). Anyway I think that sucks. The other problem is if my friend has the option enabled to synchronize automatically. There is a little warning and then his whole playlist gets copied on the Ipod and yours is deleted forever. Well at least until I go to my computer and synchronize again. Well now don't tell me that ain't bullshit.

If you want to swap music files with friends, there are third-party programs for that. But it is obvious that Apple doesn't encourage that.

And that "little warning" is there to be heeded. If you're a compulsory "OK-klicker", you'll have a bunch of other, more pressing problems anyway...

Quoting Jush (Reply 18):
I don't know any user who is satisfied with Itunes and if you are then congratulations you are the first one. Organising music with the ID3tag is one thing that is nice but there are thousands of things which aren't AT ALL...

Millions of people are quite satisfied with it, obviously. There are many more people using iTunes than those actually owning an iPod, so that might tell you something.

swiftski

Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:33 am

I actually had to read the help section to find out that my computer (not that old) runs 10.3.9 rather than the required 10.4.1.

The 10.4.1 is publicised. If you didn't check what you had first, then it's a bit rich to complain...

Tiger will be a great upgrade for you anyway. If not, just return your iPhone, you have 14 days from purchase, + managers discretion if just outside that.