dragon-wings
Topic Author

Man Vs. Wild On The Discovery Channel

Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:32 am

Does anyone here watch this show? I just recently started to watch it and found it pretty interesting. Bear Grylls really does know his stuff when it comes to surviving.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

MSYtristar

RE: Man Vs. Wild On The Discovery Channel

Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:36 am

It's my favorite show on TV hands down. That guy is a genious. I loved the Alaska and Copper Canyon episodes.

flyingbronco05

Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:43 am

Been watching it the past few hours. Pretty interesting!
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

WrenchBender

Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:47 am

I prefer Survivorman http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorman
http://www.survivorman.ca/episodes.html
No camera crew allowed

WrenchBender
Edit: second link added

[Edited 2007-07-10 04:57:13]
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

MCOflyer

Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:47 am

Very intersting from my point of view too. The florida swamp one is a cool episode as well as the island in the pacific one.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

L-188

Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:57 am

Quoting Dragon-wings (Thread starter):
Bear Grylls really does know his stuff when it comes to surviving.

After watching the PWS episode, I wanted to slug him.

FAKE!!! FAKE!!! FAKE!!!
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

VTBDflyer

Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:04 pm

The one thing he always does, episode to episode, is find a body of water. Whether it's a river or lake, that's how he finds his way out. It sounds like he really knows what he's doing.

VTBDflyer
Fly Thai

dragon-wings
Topic Author

Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:05 pm

Quoting WrenchBender (Reply 3):

I never watch that show before.

No camera crew allowed

They say in Man vs Wild Bear is not allowed to interact with the camera crew. I don't know if he does or not but thats what they say.

Quoting L-188 (Reply 5):
After watching the PWS episode, I wanted to slug him.

FAKE!!! FAKE!!! FAKE!!!

I only seen a handful of episodes of Man vs Wild. What is the PWS episode and how was it fake?

EA CO AS

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:12 pm

The channel was changed when he announced his only recourse was to drink his own urine. I know it CAN be done, but honestly I think throwing up repeatedly will dehydrate you faster.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

L-188

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:13 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 8):
know it CAN be don

See I have heard you can do it once, then the second time you will put your kidneys into shock.

Kuna

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:15 pm

I would tend to agree. Thats why if you vomit a lot and you end up going to the hospital, they put an IV in you to rehydrate you. So I agree with your statement that it would dehydrate you faster than not drinking it.

Plus its warm, you would need to find a bag of ice to chill it before drinking...lol
Pinnacle Airlines

EA CO AS

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:16 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 9):
know it CAN be don

See I have heard you can do it once, then the second time you will put your kidneys into shock.

He seemed a little contradictory about it, too. At first he says it's safe to drink, 95% water, and it's sterile.

And then he says drink it fast, because it's a "breeding ground for bacteria."

Well which is it, chief?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

AirTranTUS

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:20 pm

I think its OK. Not the most interesting of shows, but I do watch it.
I love ASO!

Kuna

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:21 pm

I would rather watch Dirty Jobs and Mythbusters on Discovery Channel.

I watched Man vs. Wild a few times, I just don't care for it, I would rather see it go off air personally.
Pinnacle Airlines

graphic

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:26 pm

Its interesting (watching copper canyon now) but Survivorman is better, he goes by himself and stays a full seven days, whereas Bear just goes until he "finds a way out."
Demand Media fails at life

T prop

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:27 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 11):
And then he says drink it fast, because it's a "breeding ground for bacteria."

Meaning drink it right away, don't pee into your canteen and save it for tomorrow.
 ill 

L-188

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:29 pm

Quoting Kuna (Reply 10):

Plus its warm, you would need to find a bag of ice to chill it before drinking...lol

I suppose you could practice by putting a glass of Mountain Dew in the microwave for 30 seconds.

dsmflyer

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:36 pm

No camera crew allowed

Yes! Survivorman is head and shoulders above Man vs. Wild. And it was around first. For some reason, Discovery gave Les Stroud the shaft and went for Man vs. Wild instead. But watch an episode of Survivorman and you'll see what you've been missing.

They were supposed to come out with a new season (I think it was shown in Canada?) but they never aired it here. That sucks...

zak

Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:44 pm

i just read the description of survivorman.
you could+should rename the story to the "find water man", since that is the only task that really affects survival when somewhere for a mere week.
water is not hard to come by if you know what you are doing and have the mental discipline required to not panic but go by the book.
i gotta admit its a very smart show concept, but like a magicians show, there is little substance to it that is being made into something.

regarding OLN shows, i think mantracker has the most innovative concept(and it can be watched on youtube).
10=2

LAXspotter

Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:52 pm

Just watched it yesterday, I watched the Australian outback episode. It was an interesting show, however i would like him to "settle" there for a few days.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

EA CO AS

Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:25 pm

I'm surprised none of the animal-rights groups have freaked out over this show yet. Just yesterday on his Sierra Nevada drop, he bit the head off a live snake (ate the rest whole - raw) and then killed a rabbit by winging a large stick at its head.

While I'm no animal-rights freak, I'm sure they could argue that he doesn't actually have to kill these animals to convey the message that you can live off them if you needed to.

WrenchBender

Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:33 pm

Quoting DSMflyer (Reply 17):
They were supposed to come out with a new season (I think it was shown in Canada?) but they never aired it here. That sucks...

According to Stroud's web site 4 shows are in editing right now, more to come.....
http://www.lesstroudonline.com/

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

slider

Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:47 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 20):
While I'm no animal-rights freak, I'm sure they could argue that he doesn't actually have to kill these animals to convey the message that you can live off them if you needed to.

Except that he IS eating them to live off them! They don't have a catering van off screen on this show, you know.

When he ate that raw fish in the Copper Canyon ("Mmm...I love sushi!" LOL) that was his meal.

I like the show, and furthermore, as a Dad of two Cub Scouts, there are a LOT of very useful outdoorsman tips that can be used in hunting, camping and outdoors if needed. To that end, it is very much a show that has a purpose. Unlike most of the pablum on TV.

LAXspotter

Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:06 am

I'm surprised none of the animal-rights groups have freaked out

Me, too LOL

Well, he didnt kill that one particular snake in the Moab, due to its endangered status, however he did eat the eggs raw which i thought would really piss off the animal rights activists

Quoting Slider (Reply 22):
To that end, it is very much a show that has a purpose. Unlike most of the pablum on TV.

Damn Right, informative show with a purpose, something that is rare on TV today
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

aa61hvy

Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:29 am

That guy is an animal..British Special Forces must have some serious training-that guy seems like he knows everything!!
Go big or go home

KBOS

Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:00 am

One thing I discovered is if I ever get lost in the jungles of Africa, I'm a goner. I don't know if I could squeeze the moisture out of a pile of elephant dung to drink never mind my own urine. But one lesson I did learn is if you do ever go into the woods make sure you have a knife, flint and canteen.
I don't care if the sun don't shine, I do my drinkin in the evening time when I'm in Rhode Island

slider

Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:00 am

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 24):
That guy is an animal..British Special Forces must have some serious training-that guy seems like he knows everything!!

Is that his background? British SAS?

aa61hvy

Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:02 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 26):

I believe so, it's announced during the intro of the show, every episode
Go big or go home

slider

Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:37 am

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 27):

I believe so, it's announced during the intro of the show, every episode

Aha- missed that, sorry.

Cool- he is a total badass then.  Wink

jafa39

Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:42 am

I have done a fair bit in the wilderness and i find the whole show slightly suspect...you certainly wouldn't want to take some of his advice at face value as you will certainly die!

The way the camera shots are set up make me highly suspicious of some pre-arranged "stunts" going on, I saw the Sierra Nevada episode the other night and kept going "Noooooo!" don't tell people that!!!

For starters, if you were going into the wilds, you would be a hell of a lot better prepared!

He is right on one constant theme though...water...that'll save your life better than anything else...and kill you just as quick.

I can't watch it anymore as I don't believe in it's integrity...Survivor Man looks interesting though, I'll keep an eye out for him.
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

dragon-wings
Topic Author

Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:48 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 26):

According to Wikipedia he served 3 years in 21st Special Air Service regiment serving as a sabre soldier, trained in unarmed combat, desert and winter warfare, combat survival, medics, parachuting, signals, evasive driving, climbing and explosives.

And he also climbed Mount Everest at age 23.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_Grylls

freshlove1

Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:45 am

But have you ever noticed that he is always clean shaven even after being in the wild for several days? Something tells me this show is not 100% true. And in the episode the he got the rabbit, it was a gray rabbit he was throwing the stick at then when he was at the "camp" by the fire it was white. I'd be willing to say that the rabbit was a farm raised for eating not the actual one he claimed he killed with the throwing stick.

sw733

Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:53 am

Quoting Dragon-wings (Thread starter):
Does anyone here watch this show? I just recently started to watch it and found it pretty interesting. Bear Grylls really does know his stuff when it comes to surviving.

Yeah I have become kinda addicted...that guy is a freakin' psycho, but in an awesome way

The channel was changed when he announced his only recourse was to drink his own urine. I know it CAN be done, but honestly I think throwing up repeatedly will dehydrate you faster.

"Necessary? Is it really necessary to drink my own urine? No, but it's sterile and I like the taste"

Youngest guy to ever climb Everest and return alive...21 I think?

In the end, it's a TV show...it may or may not be true, but it's meant to be entertainment. Like most shows, if they showed exactly what they said, it would be kinda boring. I'm not doubting the guy isn't smart, and couldn't survive better than pretty much anyone else in those circumstances, but...there has to be some entertainment to it, and what's the entertainment (and insurance costs) if he falls off a mountain, or runs out of water, or gets eaten by a "saltwater croc" (but remember, fresh water crocs are safe) .

aaflt1871

Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:24 pm

Watch the ending credits, he has someone with him in each episode who knows more about that particular area than he does. So that part to me is made up. Someone is pointing out what is edible or usable.

Quoting Freshlove1 (Reply 31):
And in the episode the he got the rabbit, it was a gray rabbit he was throwing the stick at then when he was at the "camp" by the fire it was white.

go 1:48 into the video, it looks like a white rabbit to me he is throwing at.

Where did everybody go?

L-188

Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:04 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 29):
The way the camera shots are set up make me highly suspicious of some pre-arranged "stunts" going on, I saw the Sierra Nevada episode the other night and kept going "Noooooo!" don't tell people that!!!

I was doing the exact same thing during the Alaska episode.

KDTWflyer

Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:50 pm

Hey what ever happend to Les Stroud's supposed program about living "off the grid" somewhere? BTW Survivorman is a better program in my opinion, however Man v. Wild is quite insane.

EA CO AS

Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:27 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 22):

Except that he IS eating them to live off them! They don't have a catering van off screen on this show, you know.

True, but he also VOLUNTARILY PUTS HIMSELF IN THAT POSITION. So one could argue that he's choosing to kill animals needlessly.

Besides - catering truck nearby or not, that camera crew DOES have food and water, or at very least isn't far from it at any time.

Or were THEY all British Special Forces at one point, too?  Wink

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 30):

According to Wikipedia he served 3 years in 21st Special Air Service regiment serving as a sabre soldier, trained in unarmed combat, desert and winter warfare, combat survival, medics, parachuting, signals, evasive driving, climbing and explosives.

And he also climbed Mount Everest at age 23.

And he likely wrote his Wikipedia entry, too.

Not saying it's fabricated, but take any Wikipedia entry like that with a grain of salt the size of a Rubik's Cube.

zak

Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:18 pm

wow that man vs wild guy surely lets all my bells go off.
eat live snakes and animals, yeah right, why not kill them, inspect meat and then, if the need arises for nutrition, eat it.
his whole show seems to be a sensationalist facade, apart from the most demanding arctic environment where things will practically freeze sterile, i would practially never ever consider the risk of eating off dead caracass. i just dont see any risk/reward benefit outweighing it over not having that chunk of meat.
i have the impression that this person is a very sporty psysque with a windbag brain that seems to be keen on proving the world how tough he is. i mean, why climb mt everest if you are serious about mountains? from a mountaineers perspective, it makes me wonder what person he must be, oh ok, he is a show off.
volunteering sas, ok, some people do it, dont know too many people who do it and seem to talk about it after quitting before being like 25. after all, if its great, why did he stop being there, yet talk about it? kind of strange isnt it, indirectly hype up his military past(given the amount of references, i consider the fact that he indirectly hypes it up) and then already being out before being in a decent age.
then he goes off to be a cool guy on tv and overall outdoor attention "whore", i can really say the guy seems like a jerk to me.
apart from the fact that the majority of his methods promoted and employed are nothing short of straight dangerous and stupid. he is nothing but a sensationalist attention seeker, a disgrace for outdoor people.
he does seem to make an impression on city people though :p
10=2

jamincan

Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:43 pm

During the episode in the Serengeti, he mentioned that the last time he jumped out of an airplane in Africa, he broke his back. I didn't really think much of it until later on I was reading about people who have survived free falls, and Bear Grylls was listed as one. Apparently during a training mission in S. Africa (I think), both his main parachute and his reserve parachute failed and he ended up being one of the lucky ones who somehow survived the fall.

Chi-town

Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:33 pm

I love Man vs. Wild. Great show. I especially liked the Copper Canyon Mexico and Florida Everglades episodes. Some really interesting stuff. People say they like Survivor Man better because there is no camera crew but if you notice at night, Bear is always alone. My theory is that the camera guy is dropped off in the morning and follows bear around and then picked up at night by helicopter. But in any event, Bear is still badass.

aa61hvy

Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:08 am

Quoting SW733 (Reply 32):
"Necessary? Is it really necessary to drink my own urine? No, but it's sterile and I like the taste"

Awesome line, am I the only one that picked up on that?
Go big or go home

IFEMaster

Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:38 am

Quoting Zak (Reply 37):
wow that man vs wild guy surely lets all my bells go off.
eat live snakes and animals, yeah right, why not kill them, inspect meat and then, if the need arises for nutrition, eat it.
his whole show seems to be a sensationalist facade, apart from the most demanding arctic environment where things will practically freeze sterile, i would practially never ever consider the risk of eating off dead caracass. i just dont see any risk/reward benefit outweighing it over not having that chunk of meat.
i have the impression that this person is a very sporty psysque with a windbag brain that seems to be keen on proving the world how tough he is. i mean, why climb mt everest if you are serious about mountains? from a mountaineers perspective, it makes me wonder what person he must be, oh ok, he is a show off.
volunteering sas, ok, some people do it, dont know too many people who do it and seem to talk about it after quitting before being like 25. after all, if its great, why did he stop being there, yet talk about it? kind of strange isnt it, indirectly hype up his military past(given the amount of references, i consider the fact that he indirectly hypes it up) and then already being out before being in a decent age.
then he goes off to be a cool guy on tv and overall outdoor attention "whore", i can really say the guy seems like a jerk to me.
apart from the fact that the majority of his methods promoted and employed are nothing short of straight dangerous and stupid. he is nothing but a sensationalist attention seeker, a disgrace for outdoor people.
he does seem to make an impression on city people though :p

For someone who's never met the guy, you're incredibly judgmental towards him. Seriously, did you wake up on the wrong side of the rock? Geez, next you're going to tell me that Andy McNab and Chris Ryan are both money grabbing attention whores for retiring from the SAS and going on to write best selling novels.

By the way, has anyone noticed how much he looks like the guy who sings for Maroon 5?
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

dsmflyer

Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:52 am

Quoting Chi-town (Reply 39):
People say they like Survivor Man better because there is no camera crew but if you notice at night, Bear is always alone

Les is alone all the time, not just at night. And running his own cameras, he still comes up with better shots than the Man vs. Wild crew.

slider

Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:11 am

Why all the hate?

OK, let's assume for a moment that for the sake of television production, certain liberties are taken. Some indulgences for the sake of viewability are made--hey, that's TV. The bulk of what he's doing has genuine authenticity and using the show to teach about navigation and such is awesome.

Does the TV angle give anyone here reason to slam on this guy? He's freaking 21 SAS for crissakes!! And the guy has oevrcome more in his life already before his mid-30s than many of us will do in our entire lives. And now he raises a ton of money for charity too. Some of you people make me cringe. Jesus Himself would be a poseur if he came back today to some people.

KBOS

Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:36 am

Quoting Zak (Reply 37):
volunteering sas, ok, some people do it, dont know too many people who do it and seem to talk about it after quitting before being like 25. after all, if its great, why did he stop being there, yet talk about it? kind of strange isnt it,

From Wikipedia....

He served for 3 years in 21 SAS, the crack UK Special Forces Regiment: Special Air Service. 21 SAS specializes in Close Target Reconnaissance and attack. During his time with 21 SAS Grylls served actively in North Africa twice. His military career ended abruptly, however, in 1996, when a routine parachute exercise in southern Africa went wrong. His canopy ripped severely and caused him to spiral towards earth from 16,000ft at twice the normal speed, leaving him with three broken vertebrae and struggling to feel his legs. Grylls spent the next 12 months in rehabilitation and, with his military career over, directed his efforts into trying to get well enough to fulfill his childhood dream of climbing Everest.

Grylls no longer serves in the British Special Forces but he now holds the honorary rank of Lieutenant Commander in the UK's Royal Naval Reserve.

I'd say a broken back is a pretty good excuse for leaving the Special Forces......(assuming the Wikipedia entry is true)
I don't care if the sun don't shine, I do my drinkin in the evening time when I'm in Rhode Island

aa61hvy

Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:31 am

Quoting KBOS (Reply 44):
He served for 3 years in 21 SAS, the crack UK Special Forces Regiment: Special Air Service. 21 SAS specializes in Close Target Reconnaissance and attack. During his time with 21 SAS Grylls served actively in North Africa twice. His military career ended abruptly, however, in 1996, when a routine parachute exercise in southern Africa went wrong. His canopy ripped severely and caused him to spiral towards earth from 16,000ft at twice the normal speed, leaving him with three broken vertebrae and struggling to feel his legs. Grylls spent the next 12 months in rehabilitation and, with his military career over, directed his efforts into trying to get well enough to fulfill his childhood dream of climbing Everest.

Grylls no longer serves in the British Special Forces but he now holds the honorary rank of Lieutenant Commander in the UK's Royal Naval Reserve.

I'd say a broken back is a pretty good excuse for leaving the Special Forces......(assuming the Wikipedia entry is true)

Absolutely crazy... He still parachutes now-a-days too. I sure as hell wouldn't!
Go big or go home

NZ747

Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:19 pm

I think it's an awesome program. That guy has balls of steel, a real trooper!

For those of us unfortunate not to have access to the Discovery Channel, like myself, you can watch it on youtube at the following

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=soiryx

and

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=proagg

NZ747

zak

Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:31 pm

here are the reasons why i despise what he does and in that sense, also this guy:

outdoorthings are not like "ipod or zume" issues. it is, just like aviation safety, a matter of life and death.
i would love to see the outrage on this webpage if there was a program on discovery channel titled aircraft mechanic where someone would use mcguyver methods and a sledgehammer and with a straight face try to convince people that this is how the real men do it. its factually wrong and, if repeated, dangerous.
we have about 380-400 deaths per year just in the european alps due to "outdoor accidents". thats over 1 per day on average. usually i judge such shows with a "well a few things are tv, but if at least one poor soul wont die due to seeing this show, then it was worth it".
this show gives no useful advices, quite the contrary, it portrays false truths and tv stunts that make the viewer believe that "having balls" and being all ignorant will actually help you. a good example is the video linked above. at about 16 seconds before the end, you catch him struggling over a rop(looks steel too), hanging off it and all that.
you can however also see that he is basically just acting since he happens to hang onto the rope with a carbine and climbing harness, something that might escape the unaware viewer. he also has his whole weight on the carbine and not the arms, clearly visible by the way the lowest point of the rope is where the carbine is hidden behind his left hand.
so taking this scene, instead of properly educating the viewer about the dangers of trying to hold onto steel rope, using the saftey carbine to get across in a smooth, safe and energy consuming way, he acts a fool and actually tries to conceal the safety device. i had to rescue people trying to do just what he did before, its not funny, but ofc you wont let people die just because they are retards.

apart from the obviouly life threatening things that he does, the shows character is nothing but tabloid voyerism, with his feces fetish and such. it is the lowest category.
regarding his military career, i can not comment on that, but having personal experience in harsh environments with u.s. delta forces, uk. royal marines and german units of similar character, i will just assume that in the "outdoor stuff" trade, s.a.s. aint much different. with that in mind, i have to conclude that he does not represent the unit that he came from, just assuming that s.a.s. has similar operation in this stuff, given the close cooperation in training i think thats a safe assumption.
10=2

slider

Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:05 am

Quoting Zak (Reply 47):
i would love to see the outrage on this webpage if there was a program on discovery channel titled aircraft mechanic where someone would use mcguyver methods and a sledgehammer and with a straight face try to convince people that this is how the real men do it. its factually wrong and, if repeated, dangerous.

Bad example, IMHO. Being a mechanic is a very rigid procedural process. If something is broken, you run a checklist. You fix A, B, C, and D, and in a specific order. Being outdoors is not that methodical, not predictable.

Ergo, it isn’t factually wrong per se, as much as it is a general guide for how to possibly comport yourself if you find yourself in a similar situation, with the full caveat that not all situations are the same. It’s nature, it’s the wilderness, it’s the outdoors…far more variables than being in a scientific or mechanical role.

Certainly if you follow some of his actions specifically it could be dangerous, but so could misusing any consumer product or any aspect of life in general.

Quoting Zak (Reply 47):
this show gives no useful advices

What? There is tons of useful stuff. Navigation, geology, insights into weather (the flash flooding discussion whilst in the Copper Canyon was totally useful—I remember a lot of people getting nailed in canyons in AZ because they thought it was a clear dry day….whoosh!), some dietary guidance, fire building, how to avoid hypo and hyper thermic conditions, etc. Like I said, there are tons of very elemental tenets of outdoors survival (ginned up for TV and entertainment, naturally) that you’d find in a Scouting manual.

Quoting Zak (Reply 47):
since he happens to hang onto the rope with a carbine

You mean a carabiner?

Quoting Zak (Reply 47):
apart from the obviouly life threatening things that he does, the shows character is nothing but tabloid voyerism, with his feces fetish and such. it is the lowest category.

I’m curious- do you object so strenuously to the rest of the garbage that considers itself “reality TV”? I happen to watch very little TV myself, but almost anything on Discovery, Travel, History and so forth I find captivating.

Quoting Zak (Reply 47):
i have to conclude that he does not represent the unit that he came from,

Certainly. Because if he did, you couldn’t put that on TV…too much for casual viewers. If you’ve ever read any accounts of the SAS missions in Malaya in the 60s and 70s, or any accounts of how raw the 21 SAS is in its history, you’d realize that it has to be watered down for public consumption.

I guess in general I don’t understand the vitriol because while yes, this is a show that is ultimately meant to entertain, it has value. And I feel very strongly about any and all efforts to reconnect with nature, and show her the respect she deserves. Given the increasing scale of technology in our lives, the urbanization of our cities and societies, and the faux-outdoorsy weekend warrior shtick you see in many places, it’s good to see some brass tacks guy just getting after it.

As a Teddy Roosevelt disciple, I applaud the efforts of someone as charismatic like Grylls bringing *some* of that, albeit a very thin slice and sure, perhaps doctored or spun a bit, to the viewing public.

Not only would it be good for the soul for more people to get out and try to scratch for their own worms, hunt for food, live off the land minimalistically every once in a while, but politically and socially it would temper the do-gooding environmentalists who preach about that which they know so very little about.

IFEMaster

Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:41 am

Quoting Zak (Reply 47):

Zak, go right ahead and make your own show to sell to Discovery. I'd like to see you...anyone...do a better job at it than Bear Grylls. The fact is you couldn't, because to be the host of a show like this means mixing truths on the subject (and there are plenty, so your line about wrong advice is utterly inaccurate) while being entertaining. The show has editors and directors and producers that cut, chop, and direct scenes according to the programming brief. To say that the show is a disgrace is very short sighted and very close minded. In my opinion.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978