Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VonRichtofen
Topic Author

Canada: Too Much Emphasis On Hockey

Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:44 am

Hey all,

I'm sure I'll be crucified by the Joe Canada hockey mullets for this, but after Canada's humiliating performance in the U20 world cup, and other past international football events, I think we put way too much emphasis on hockey, so much so that it's pretty much the only team sport we can compete in in the top international levels. Sure we're the best at hockey, but then we get humiliated by 3rd world countries at just about every other international sport, especially soccer. What a joke. The US competes well in pretty much every sport because they think beyond just US football or baseball. In Canada it's all hockey hockey hockey hockey, even now it's middle of July and you still see hockey shit everywhere, hockey commercials on TV. Yet I haven't seen much about the U20 world cup that we're HOSTING in Canada.

Some might be surprised that I'm ranting about this because I'm not much of a sports fan, but I'm really starting to get embarrassed at how poorly we perform, and it's not the athletes fault.

It seems like hockey is the only thing Canada is really passionate about, and we're content to either be mediocre, or just down right suck at everything else, and that doesn't just include sports.

What say you?

Kris

[Edited 2007-07-15 01:55:21]

[Edited 2007-07-15 01:57:02]

flyboy2001

RE: Canada: Too Much Emphasis On Hockey

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:00 am

Good topic. I agree that we really let our Soccer players and fans down in Canada. Soccer (Football) is the single biggest team sport in the entire world - wouldn't it be great to see Canada competing on an even bigger international stage than hockey affords us? I also like the sportsmanship in Soccer - ever see a hockey player help a fallen opponent to his feet?

N1120A

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:47 am

Quoting VonRichtofen (Thread starter):
I think we put way too much emphasis on hockey, so much so that it's pretty much the only team sport we can compete in in the top international levels.

Canadians also happen to do very well in figure skating (duh), speed skating (duh), skiing and many other winter sports. Further, Canada's performance at the Summer Olympics has been excellent for a country of its size.

but then we get humiliated by 3rd world countries at just about every other international sport, especially soccer.

Been there, done that

Signed,

USA Soccer

Quoting Flyboy2001 (Reply 1):
I agree that we really let our Soccer players and fans down in Canada. Soccer (Football) is the single biggest team sport in the entire world

It also passed hockey as the number 1 youth participation sport a few years ago. Still, you have to understand that Canada is a country smaller than California population-wise and with weather that doesn't exactly encourage year round training in warm weather sports. The fact that Canada can do so damn well in any sport speaks to the drive, resolve and love for the game of hockey shown by the Canadian people

I also like the sportsmanship in Soccer - ever see a hockey player help a fallen opponent to his feet?

Very different sports. Hockey is a game rooted in physical play, while association football strictly limits such contact.

VonRichtofen
Topic Author

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:53 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 2):
Canadians also happen to do very well in figure skating (duh), speed skating (duh), skiing and many other winter sports. Further, Canada's performance at the Summer Olympics has been excellent for a country of its size.

I realize that, which is why I specified 'team' sports.

Kris

halls120

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:57 am

It seems like hockey is the only thing Canada is really passionate about, and we're content to either be mediocre, or just down right suck at everything else, and that doesn't just include sports.

Given the fact that sport long since abandoned amateur ideals, why do you care about how Canada fares in "world" competition? I admit it is somewhat nostalgic to see all these overpaid professional athletes come home to "compete for their country" in the Olympics or the World Cup, but let's be honest - once the World Cup and the Olympics are over, all of "our" athletes go back to their professional teams and concentrate on winning for their wallet.

As you can see, I no longer care which country "wins" a given competition in a given sport.

N1120A

Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:12 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 4):
I admit it is somewhat nostalgic to see all these overpaid professional athletes come home to "compete for their country" in the Olympics or the World Cup, but let's be honest - once the World Cup and the Olympics are over, all of "our" athletes go back to their professional teams and concentrate on winning for their wallet.

See, I disagree. I like the fact that the true best are competing for their respective countries. For a long time, the US put itself at a severe disadvantage for the protection of some lofty goal of protecting amateurism because other countries were fielding professional sides. We were losing at our two major contributions to sport (basketball and baseball) because we were getting collegians kicked around by pros. Also, I think the fact that there is very little compensation in the Olympics, particularly in sports where true professionals do compete, means that we are watching our heroes perform selflessly and for pride as opposed to money.

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 3):

I realize that, which is why I specified 'team' sports.

Again, that really comes down to population. Canada just doesn't have the population to support a bunch of really good national teams. The fact that Canada is so good at hockey should be good enough, because it means athletes are still being produced. Further, Canada is also pretty damn good at baseball and produces a very fair number of major league stars.

halls120

Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:23 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 5):
lso, I think the fact that there is very little compensation in the Olympics, particularly in sports where true professionals do compete, means that we are watching our heroes perform selflessly and for pride as opposed to money.

Do you really think that professional athletes are competing in the Olympics only for pride and national glory? Good for you. I believe they are doing it because if they win a gold medal, that will be figured in by their agent at the next contract negotiation, and when their agent is negotiating the next endorsement deal.

When it comes to Olympic events that are close or fairly close to pure competition - sports governed by the clock, not a subjective judge's decision - I'll still watch, because I enjoy watching the athletic competition. But gymnastics, figure skating - sports where politics rears its ugly head - I turn the channel. As I do at the medal ceremonies. National pride is nice, but I guess I'm too jaded any more to get excited about which country has won the most medals.

One of the reasons I like watching the World Cup is that I get to watch a very high level of soccer played by the best athletes in that sport, and I care not one whit about which country wins.

N1120A

Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:42 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 6):

Do you really think that professional athletes are competing in the Olympics only for pride and national glory? Good for you. I believe they are doing it because if they win a gold medal, that will be figured in by their agent at the next contract negotiation, and when their agent is negotiating the next endorsement deal.

Yes, I really think they are doing it for the pride. If you look at the most recent Olympics, where pride didn't seem to be there, the US team got their asses handed to them. In fact, you often see the greedier players (yes, I am looking at Kobe Bryant) skipping the games altogether.

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 6):

One of the reasons I like watching the World Cup is that I get to watch a very high level of soccer played by the best athletes in that sport, and I care not one whit about which country wins.

In case you are forgetting, the World Cup is played by a bunch of very highly paid celebrities too.

halls120

Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:46 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 7):
In fact, you often see the greedier players (yes, I am looking at Kobe Bryant) skipping the games altogether.

But I thought we were "watching our heroes perform selflessly and for pride as opposed to money."

They don't.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 7):
In case you are forgetting, the World Cup is played by a bunch of very highly paid celebrities too.

I didn't forget. I just watch the Cup for the enjoyment of watching top-flight soccer, not so I can wrap myself in my flag.

N1120A

Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:51 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 8):

I didn't forget. I just watch the Cup for the enjoyment of watching top-flight soccer, not so I can wrap myself in my flag.

Did you see the celebrations in Rome? Now that was national pride. The vast majority of people watching that tournament have a completely different view of the World Cup than you do, as do the players.

But I thought we were "watching our heroes perform selflessly and for pride as opposed to money."

They don't.

They did in '92 and they did in '96, which is why they so thoroughly dominated those tournaments. Seeing Hakeem Olajuwon marching in that Atlanta Olympic Opening Ceremony with a gigantic smile on his face was a true symbol of the American Dream, and that victory was filled with national pride.

halls120

Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:04 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 9):
Did you see the celebrations in Rome? Now that was national pride. The vast majority of people watching that tournament have a completely different view of the World Cup than you do, as do the players.

Maybe I do have a different view of the World Cup, but I don't need teams that represent the US to excel in world competitions to have national pride.

Acey

Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:46 am

Perhaps it's good that we're exceptionally good at something instead of just mediocre at a number of sports?

I am however, happy to say that soccer is definitely on the upswing around here. Even in the last few years, there a lot more kids playing and the demands for fields is through the roof; a six pitch complex just opened north of my relatively small city for soccer and rugby. Of course, there's still that constant demand for ice rinks, but it's close to taking a backseat around here. This is a very local perspective, but it represents the overall trend in a fair number of Canadian communities. There are still obviously stereotypical Canadian places where kids play hockey from dawn till dusk on their backyard rinks, but Canada's well on the way to becoming a more multisport nation, just give it time.

L410Turbolet

Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:15 pm

I think we put way too much emphasis on hockey, so much so that it's pretty much the only team sport we can compete in in the top international levels.

Who cares... I mean who other than the beer-soaked coach potatoes who experience this patriotic nirvana when the national anthem is played because "we" won. When it comes to sports I'd be primarily concerned about opportunities and facilities where my kinds can play them not about multi-billion profi sports which contrubution to society is next to ZERO.
I think it'd be a bigger problem for Canada (or any other country) not have another Nobel Prize winner in science than not having another Gretzky (Beckham, Schumacher or god knows who else).

I also like the sportsmanship in Soccer - ever see a hockey player help a fallen opponent to his feet?

rotfl  I also like the contrast between full-contactness of football-soccer... especially the one between the fans and riot police in the stands and the streets and the show the 2x11 drama queens perform on the field wincing with "pain" whenever another player gets closer than 3 m to them.

Also, I think the fact that there is very little compensation in the Olympics, particularly in sports where true professionals do compete, means that we are watching our heroes perform selflessly and for pride as opposed to money.

Also, I think you are incredibly naive to think that the motivation of the pros is "selfless"  Yeah sure and without the actual objective being better contracts, more commercials, better bonuses.

WildcatYXU

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:13 pm

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 12):

L410, you defined it really well. That's exactly how I look at it. Welcome to my RU list.

N1120A

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:27 am

Also, I think you are incredibly naive to think that the motivation of the pros is "selfless" and without the actual objective being better contracts, more commercials, better bonuses.

Other than MAYBE having the company that already has them under contract for endorsements do a commercial, there is nothing about winning a gold medal that is going to increase the marketability of an already high level pro athlete. Lebron James isn't famous because he was pretty much the only US player who actually tried in the 2004 Olympic Games, he is famous for bringing the Cleveland Cavaliers from the doldrums to the NBA Finals. Shaquille O'Neal didn't get his huge contract with the Lakers in 1996 because he was in Atlanta, he got it because he was the most dominant center in the NBA. Several teams and coaches actively discourage Olympic participation because of the risk of injury and the thought that players need time off to recover, and defying that doesn't exactly help their contract terms.

halls120

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:34 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 14):
Other than MAYBE having the company that already has them under contract for endorsements do a commercial, there is nothing about winning a gold medal that is going to increase the marketability of an already high level pro athlete.

You know this based on your extensive experience as a sports agent and/or marketing executive for major corporations?

rotfl 

WunalaYann

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:43 am

I also like the sportsmanship in Soccer

eyepopping  Football has to be the worst of all when it comes to sportsmanship. Cheating divers, arguing with referees all the frigging time...  vomit 

If a rugby player behaved 10% as bad as his football couterpart, he would be red-carded 10 minutes into the game.

ever see a hockey player help a fallen opponent to his feet?

Yes I have. I have even seen players pat each other on the shoulder after a FIGHT. See Cam Neely vs Rick Toccher, Jim McKenzie vs Tony Twist or McKenzie again vs Brashear.  bigthumbsup 

Now you did not see that after the all out brawl between Valencia and Inter Milan, did you?

not having another Gretzky

Fine. Crosby, Thornton, Lecavalier, Heatley, Spezza, Iginla, Sakic, etc. will do the job.  Wink

Quoting Acey (Reply 11):
Perhaps it's good that we're exceptionally good at something instead of just mediocre at a number of sports?

Agreed. New Zealand seems to be doing reasonably well with pretty much just the All Blacks as prominent international sports figures.  Smile

N1120A

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:49 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 15):

You know this based on your extensive experience as a sports agent and/or marketing executive for major corporations?

Get over yourself man. It was all over the news when Phil Jackson discussed his views on players going to the Olympics and how that influenced Kobe Bryant's decision.

ScarletHarlot

Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:37 pm

It seems like hockey is the only thing Canada is really passionate about, and we're content to either be mediocre, or just down right suck at everything else

it's pretty much the only team sport we can compete in in the top international levels. Sure we're the best at hockey, but then we get humiliated by 3rd world countries at just about every other international sport,

Except curling! Don't forget curling. Canada still kicks the world's ass at curling.  Wink

TheCol

Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:39 am

sure we're the best at hockey, but then we get humiliated by 3rd world countries at just about every other international sport, especially soccer.

Who cares? If that's the only way other countries can pride themselves over beating us at something, so be it. Our country does extremely well in the Winter Olympics, and does fairly OK in the Summer Olympics, so you're point isn't really valid.

travelin man

Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:16 am

I think we put way too much emphasis on hockey

Too bad it doesn't translate into Canadian teams winning the Stanley Cup.

*ducks*

exFATboy

Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:47 am

There's no such thing as "too much hockey." It's like saying "too many Timbits" or "flying too much." Does not compute.
 silly 

Of course, I don't care about the Olympics, or any of those other "world championships" sort of things.

But I kneel before the glory that is Lord Stanley's Cup!

ba747yyz

Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:08 am

Most of those 3rd world countries are only good at soccer, very few countries are actually good at multiple sports.

he US competes well in pretty much every sport because they think beyond just US football or baseball.

They do have 10X the population.

Sure we're the best at hockey

Did you see the last olympics?

Arrow

Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:43 am

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 20):

Of all the teams in the NHL, the Ducks have (had?) the highest proportion of Canadians on the roster.

Acey

Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:44 am

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 20):

*ducks*

Why should it? Any team winning the Stanley Cup is just as good from the perspective a Canadian hockey fan, since, for example, only eight Ducks aren't Canadian. Among them is your captain and both assistants. Even your head coach is Canadian.

N1120A

Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:40 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 18):

Except curling! Don't forget curling. Canada still kicks the world's ass at curling.

I am not so sure I would claim that one. It is like saying Florida is the best at shuffleboard  Silly

Quoting Acey (Reply 24):
Even your head coach is Canadian.

Not to mention the GM.

travelin man

Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:59 am

Quoting Acey (Reply 24):
Why should it? Any team winning the Stanley Cup is just as good from the perspective a Canadian hockey fan, since, for example, only eight Ducks aren't Canadian. Among them is your captain and both assistants. Even your head coach is Canadian.

I didn't mean I was a Ducks fan, I meant I was ducking the incoming verbal barrage that comment might have.

That said, I read a lot of articles about how Canada got behind Ottawa in the last go around, and rallied around Calgary a couple of years ago. It seems that Canadians DO care about which team wins the Stanley Cup.

Canadians definitely were integral part of the Ducks championship, but it seems Canadians will be an integral part of ANY Stanley Cup championship. It's too bad those teams haven't been coming from Canada lately, though.

Acey

Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:35 am

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 26):
It seems that Canadians DO care about which team wins the Stanley Cup.

Just to continue playing Devil's Advocate, the YYC Herald this year ran a story about "10 Reasons to Cheer for the Ducks instead of Ottawa". I regret not remembering the majority of them, but one was the fact that the Neidermeyers are from a BC town relatively close to Calgary. Not important really, but interesting nonetheless. I'll see if I can find the article.

Acey

Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:40 am

Quoting Acey (Reply 27):
I'll see if I can find the article.

It's on this blog. I believe this is the article from the Herald.

Dougloid

Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:44 am

Be careful what you wish for. Some one could take this seriously and promote more curling on teevee.

You'll be sor-eee!

Acey

Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:50 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 29):
Be careful what you wish for. Some one could take this seriously and promote more curling on teevee.

When the time comes, curling is big on Canadian TV. No where near as big as hockey, but it's pretty big. Only a few tournaments earn national media attention, though.

A332

Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:55 am

Last time I checked, hockey was really the only sport in Canada that a vast majority of the population gave a crap about... who cares if we don't excel at some of the other stuff... hockey is what matters in this country.

You're hard pressed to find many Canadians who are not obsessed with hockey... it also brings us together as a nation.. it's something that is part of the Canadian fabric. It's who we are... why would we want to change that!

N1120A

Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:12 am

Quoting A332 (Reply 31):

You're hard pressed to find many Canadians who are not obsessed with hockey

My girlfriend hates it.

A332

Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:29 am

Then "OFF WITH HER HEAD!!!!!"

Kidding... the ones who don't like hockey in Canada are typically the ladies who have sit through 'boring' Saturday nights for most of the year.  Wink

yooyoo

Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:38 pm

With regards to soccer and Canada, i feel that some blame should be on FIFA. They have some very strict and pathetic rules with national games and getting team members to actually play.

I hope this has changed but i seem to recall that if a national team is, for arguments sake, ranked 50 or lower, the national team players club team need not release him to play in a national side game. How can a team get any consistency playing with each other, how can a team move up the ranking if you don't have your best players playing?

What i'm trying to say is, if you get your full team playing regularly, perhaps winning games, perhaps moving up the table, the popularity of the game will rise, the kids will strive to play for Canada, the government will give more funding which may lead to a better program with better coaches and CSA staff.

Maybe.

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 26):
That said, I read a lot of articles about how Canada got behind Ottawa in the last go around

Not in YYZ.  Wink

Acey

Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:25 pm

Quoting A332 (Reply 33):
the ones who don't like hockey in Canada are typically the ladies who have sit through 'boring' Saturday nights for most of the year.

Lots of guys don't like it, either. Lots. We're not helping our cause by trying to claim that every single Canadian loves hockey. It's simply not true.

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 34):
Not in YYZ.

Sportsnet had a piece where they roamed the streets of YYZ prior to the beginning of the final asking people if they would temporarily support the city of YOW in their Stanley Cup run, since they "represented Canada". Not one single person said they weren't supporting the Sens to some extent.

iamcanadian

Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:34 pm

Quoting Acey (Reply 35):
Sportsnet had a piece

Quoting Acey (Reply 35):
Not one single person said they weren't supporting the Sens to some extent.

Ever heard of editing?  sarcastic 

AGC525

Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:01 pm

I thought Canadiens were good at multiple sports...

There is no greater sport in the world than that of ice hockey.

md80fanatic

Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:17 pm

Quit yer' bitchin' already.

I live in Austin Texas and here all we have is longhorn foootball. Hell, the day after the Ducks won the Cup there was a single scant paragraph about it at the very end of the sports page.....FFS, local high school foootball coverage was placed before professional hockey that day.

IMO.....you should all be careful what you wish for.

Acey

Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:52 pm

Quoting Iamcanadian (Reply 36):
Ever heard of editing?

The point is simply that there were plenty of people in Southern Ontario supporting the Sens, even in Toronto. To think otherwise is being narrow-minded.

yooyoo

Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:19 pm

Quoting Acey (Reply 35):
Not one single person said they weren't supporting the Sens to some extent.

Creative editing.  Wink

Quoting Iamcanadian (Reply 36):
Ever heard of editing?

ah, just seen that.  checkmark 

Quoting Acey (Reply 39):
The point is simply that there were plenty of people in Southern Ontario supporting the Sens, even in Toronto. To think otherwise is being narrow-minded.

The mayors of several major Canadian cities were to sign some sort of paper showing support for the Sens. When this got out that Mayor Miller was going to sign, there was an uproar. Never heard about the mayors signing that paper after it got leaked out. They still may have signed it, but the media didn't cover it.

I love the Leafs Sens rivalry. Good hockey and it makes it fun.

WrenchBender

Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:54 pm

Quoting Acey (Reply 35):
Lots of guys don't like it, either. Lots. We're not helping our cause by trying to claim that every single Canadian loves hockey. It's simply not true.

I agree.
I am by no means a 'Hockey Fanantic'. I hate the NHL, bunch of lazy good for nothing overpaid assholes managed by a bigger asshole (Bettman). NHL along with MLB and NBA are way to overexposed for their own good, of all the major sports I consider them all a waste of air time until the playoffs roll around and the games actually start to mean something.
I do enjoy junior hockey, but the sports I enjoy the most are Rugby, Canadian Football, Soccer and Lacrosse. Of these 4 sports only the CFL gets consistent coverage. Curling gets better coverage than the Canadian Rugby teams for crying out loud. We are only getting MLS coverage because Toronto FC is in the league, what about Vancouver and Montreal they've been in the USL a league for years, Fox Sports was the only coverage.
You want to give Canadian kids a chance at competing in other sports, they have to be exposed to them. How much TV exposure is given to 'Other Sports' without resorting to specialty channels. How many school programs support team sports. At least with the FIFA U20 it is a chance for kids to see the real game across the country. Did you see the kids from Nunavut at commonwealth the other day they were over the moon just to be a part of it, despite the weather. http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2007/07/07/soccer-day-north.html

WrenchBender

VonRichtofen
Topic Author

Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:33 am

My point is: It would be nice if Canada was good enough to at least participate in events like the World Cup. It would be awesome for Canadians to travel abroad and cheer for Canada at such huge international event. It would bring way more numbers than the Olympics I think and another good way for Canadians to broaden their horizons, at least culturally.

I think it'd be a bigger problem for Canada (or any other country) not have another Nobel Prize winner in science than not having another Gretzky (Beckham, Schumacher or god knows who else).

I totally agree, and Canada has tons to be proud of. If Canadians were just as proud as these other accomplishments as they are of hockey, then I wouldn't have started this thread. But that's not the case unfortunately, we worship hockey and beer like it's religion, but suck at every other sport, and don't know, or don't care about the even more important non-athletic accomplishments. Example:

Quoting A332 (Reply 31):
Last time I checked, hockey was really the only sport in Canada that a vast majority of the population gave a crap about... who cares if we don't excel at some of the other stuff... hockey is what matters in this country.

TheCol

Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:06 am

Quoting Arrow (Reply 23):

checkmark 

When I read it again, I would have to agree with you on that. It seems that our country couldn't give a rat's ass about our standing or role in the international community. Even when it comes down to our history and heritage, people don't care or rather sacrifice it for whatever stupid reasons they have. Our land has so much potential, we can become much more than what we are.

LH423

Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:31 am

Yet I haven't seen much about the U20 world cup that we're HOSTING in Canada.

There was nary a sign to know that Ottawa was one of the host cities. The only way I found out was because of a volunteer tid bit on the local news one night. Things may have changed after I left for the Summer, and after all the hockey stuff was taken down.

Again, that really comes down to population. Canada just doesn't have the population to support a bunch of really good national teams.

Yes, but population can't explain it entirely. Australia has a population smaller than Canada's by 10 million and they excel at several sports. Australia has a global reputation at sports like rugby, cricket, and swimming. Of course, climate has a lot to do with that. Australia has never been known as a powerhouse in winter sports but to argue that population is why Canada can only excel truly at one sport is a bit narrow, in my view.

I do think Canadians are a bit too hockey focussed. I believe that Canada does marginally well in quite a few sports and given more of an interest and funding being spent on developing them, Canada could improve vastly.

I also notice that Canada is most known for it's sports played on ice. Even though there are strong Canadian skiers and Alexandre Despaties has made a name for himself in the aquatic world, the sports Canadians are associated with and do best at are all ice sports. Hockey, curling, bobsledding, figure skating, speed skating. Canada does well at them all, and they're all ice sports. Just something I noticed that I thought was funny.

LH423

Acey

Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:21 pm

Quoting LH423 (Reply 44):
Just something I noticed that I thought was funny.

Nothing's funny about it, really. On the contrary, it is very logical. Our climate is cold, there's lots of snow, there's lots of ice, so it is entirely logical for our country to revolve around winter sports.