Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

planespotting
Topic Author

Why Was Your Sunday Awesome?

Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:23 am

Mine was absolutely great - I got up nice and early, made it to McDonalds for some breakfast sandwiches (awful for me, but not something I do very often anymore). Then, I leisurely drove south on Elmhurst Road towards ORD, experiencing a nice suburban drive along the way.

I got closer to O'Hare and found a suitable spotting location. I brought out my camera and started shooting airliners taking off 32 L - two rolls worth, and then switched spots in time to see the heavies from Europe and Asia coming in on 10 (the "new" runway - haha). The weather was perfect, with barely any clouds - although there was no wind, which is great for their ops, but bad for me at first since I really didn't know where they'd be landing or taking off from until I got there. But it all worked out.

After that, I made my way north to Randhurst shopping center in Mount Prospect. I Had some coffee at borders and purchased a few publications. Afterwards, I went over to Costco and looked around, and decided that a membership would be a good investment, so I purchased one.

So next I came home, turned on the TV, and the Cubs are on. They were down 5-0 in the second inning, but came back and won 7-6 - they started scoring after I started drinking Old Style. After that, I made myself a margarita, watched Along Came Polly, and now, Trading Spaces is on, an 80s classic!

It's just been a very nice day - anyone else have a great sunday?
Do you like movies about gladiators?

British767

RE: Why Was Your Sunday Awesome?

Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:36 am

The only thing I've really done today was completely gut my wardrobe out, getting rid of anything I don't wear anymore, and then I took it down to the charity clothes bin down the road.

Other than that, my summer will be spent mostly just waiting for my year abroad to come around (thanks to a change at work in the attitude towards overtime, and it being too late to get a summer job Angry ).

Gripping stuff.

[Edited 2007-07-16 01:42:18]

Sabena332

Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:40 am

Quoting Planespotting (Thread starter):
anyone else have a great sunday?

The past Sunday was not really great (it is Monday here already) but the weekend in a whole was awesome so I won't complain. Big grin

I am pleased  cheerful 

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

davestanKSAN

Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:41 am

I brought out my camera and started shooting airliners taking off 32 L - two rolls worth

Rolls? What are these things? I've heard about them in some ancient textbooks, but havent seen them in ages Big grin

Just kidding of course. Pretty neat you still shoot with film. What kind of equipment do you use, if you don't mind me asking.

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

vikkyvik

Played 9 holes of golf with my dad this morning. Only had 2 good holes (which I par'd), and 7 god-awful holes.

As I was leaving, though, a formation of 4 military helicopters flew overhead. Couldn't tell exactly what they were, but looked about the size of Blachhawks. We don't see that kind of thing very often at all.

Got back here, and proceeded to take a 4 hour nap. Just recently woke up.

So yeah, productive day.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

MCOflyer

Bought roller skates, helped out my dad, and fell on my @ss while roller skating. I'm getting better after not doing it for 5 years.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

Delta767300ER

Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:43 am

My driver Tony Stewart won the USG Sheetrock 400 at Chicagoland Speedway for his 1st win of the year. It was a good race and I am very satisfied with the outcome!

-Delta767300ER

IFEMaster

Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:53 am

Scored upgrades for me and the missus for our flight out of LGB tomorrow...
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

Speedbirdie

Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:54 am

I threw up all day...

Next Sunday Im going to get me laid....
Never give up..

planespotting
Topic Author

Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:54 am

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 3):
Just kidding of course. Pretty neat you still shoot with film. What kind of equipment do you use, if you don't mind me asking.

I use a Canon EOS Elan - I purchased it about 5 years ago before it was economical to shoot and get good results with digital. I bought a cheap Tamron 75-300 mm telephoto, but still use the Canon 28-50 lens that came with it. IMO the Tamron isn't as good as the Canon equiv. (i've shot with both, but went with the cheaper option for my own camera), but it actually does a pretty good job with the general photos that come out - but the autof-ocus is pretty bad and often times I might lose a good aircraft shot because it thinks I'm focusing on the sky instead of the plane. So sometimes I shoot manual.

But the camera does a good job overall in auto, and I'm not the best with the control wheels -- nor do I really think I can do much better (unless it's a low light situation or I'm going for some effect) than the auto mode.

I shoot with Fuji Superia two rolls of 200 and two rolls of 400, although I wish I had brought all 200, but I thought it was going to be cloudy-er. Dammit

IFEMaster

Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:04 am

Quoting Speedbirdie (Reply 8):
Next Sunday Im going to get me laid....

Classy lady  Smile

How're the stitches?
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

boeingfever777

Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:09 am

Spent the day with my wife and going bowling with another couple tonight.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

fr8mech

Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:26 am

Hit 18 holes for the 1st time in 5 years. Bogied 1 hole and I don't want to talk about the rest.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

planespotting
Topic Author

Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:29 am

Quoting Fr8Mech (Reply 12):
Bogied 1 hole and I don't want to talk about the rest.

it's often a bad day when a bogie is your best shot - been there many-a-time.

davestanKSAN

Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:06 am

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 9):
I use a Canon EOS Elan - I purchased it about 5 years ago before it was economical to shoot and get good results with digital. I bought a cheap Tamron 75-300 mm telephoto, but still use the Canon 28-50 lens that came with it. IMO the Tamron isn't as good as the Canon equiv. (i've shot with both, but went with the cheaper option for my own camera), but it actually does a pretty good job with the general photos that come out - but the autof-ocus is pretty bad and often times I might lose a good aircraft shot because it thinks I'm focusing on the sky instead of the plane. So sometimes I shoot manual.

Cool, thanks. Yeah, it's amazing how far the digital age has come. But I think it's important to use film too just to get an appreciation of it. We're pretty spoiled today with digital cameras; immediate review of your image to see if it's to your liking, and if not, you can change your settings.

I have a Nikon D-80, with a pretty standard 18-55 and 55-200 lens. I also have a Sigma 70-300 mm lens my mom gave to me from one of her Nikon film SLRs. I'm pretty content with the lenses for now, and I don't really have tons of funds to go and buy an expensive lens, so I'm sticking with what I've got for the time being. Hopefully I can upgrade soon, but I'm lucky enough to have a DSLR, so I'm not complaining.

Anyway enjoy the rest of your Sunday, thanks for the answer  Smile.

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

MD-90

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:21 am

Yeah, my Sunday was awesome.

Got up, went to church, sang two good songs (I'm in the choir), came home. Did my weight lifting workout, got a call from my godmother who I haven't talked to in ages (she's a very interesting person). Went back to church, sang two AWESOME songs (the choir was also singing for the evening service), and just got home from the summer choir party after the evening service. Much fun and good food. Now I'm off to practice clarinet for two hours and then go to bed.

vikkyvik

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:40 am

10 (the "new" runway - haha).

Hey, so why did they rename 9R-27L to 10-28? Is it going to be part of the new runway layout there or something, whenever that gets done?
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

planespotting
Topic Author

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:49 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 16):
Hey, so why did they rename 9R-27L to 10-28? Is it going to be part of the new runway layout there or something, whenever that gets done?

It will supposedly be less confusing than 9L/9C/9R (they'll be a new runway built during the upgrade) - but they're still calling the other one "9R" instead of just "9" - it's weird.

Boeing744

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:54 am

I actually had a rather exciting and surprising day. First I found out that I am probably going to Saskatoon in August. Random, but good because I get to fly. It's not for sure yet, but it would be cool.

The second cool thing that happened to me today is a friend of mine came out to me, and to make it more exciting I was the first person he ever told! I had suspected about him, but had heard otherwise... I was just really surprised that I was the first one he told, because I don't really know him too well. It made me feel pretty special actually!  Smile

kstateinALB

Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:03 pm

Why was my Sunday awesome?

I was flying with UA from MCI-ORD-ALB, great flights overall, but I was surprised, we got no snacks anymore!!!
I am very surprised that nobody else on here flew today....

got closer to O'Hare and found a suitable spotting location. I brought out my camera and started shooting airliners taking off 32 L - two rolls worth, and then switched spots in time to see the heavies from Europe and Asia coming in on 10 (the "new" runway - haha)

You may have gotten my flight...UA500 landed and UA1218 took off on that runway I believe.

The weather was perfect, with barely any clouds - although there was no wind, which is great for their ops

Really was an excellent day. Very bumpy approach into O'Hare even so.

KPDX

Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:33 pm

Went to the Oregon Coast!  bouncy 

KPDX  Smile

geedo

Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:31 pm

I went to Beacon Rock out in the Columbia River Gorge.
I've got Titanic hopes and they aren't sinking

Notar520AC

Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:42 pm

Today was awesome because it was my birthday. Big grin The big 19!
BMW - The Ultimate Driving Machine

HAWK21M

Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:42 pm

It's just been a very nice day - anyone else have a great sunday

My Sundays are always great.No night shifts,the only assured holiday to spend with Family & Friends.
It starts out with Mass in the morning,then visiting a few buddies & the Evening its an outing with the Family & dinner at a restaurant.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

san747

Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:57 pm

My sunday? I woke up at 12:40 PM, sat on my ass all day, did some laundry then packed a bag for my flights tomorrow (SNA-DFW-ORD-ALB) starting at 6:45 AM.

I'm not even gonna go to sleep tonight, I'm just gonna drink some soda, watch TV and post on A.net until about 3:00 AM, then take a shower and proceed to SNA!
Scotty doesn't know...

davestanKSAN

Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:37 pm

Quoting San747 (Reply 24):

Nice, have a safe trip dude.  Smile.

Dave

Frontiercpt

Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:42 pm

Quoting Notar520AC (Reply 22):

Happy birthday!

Today was good, we had a full house and a perfect show. Had a cast BBQ down in Chula Vista with a splendid panoramic view of the Bay and the Silver Strand. Great day Big grin

~Sean

flyingbabydoc

Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:52 pm

It's just been a very nice day - anyone else have a great sunday?

Oh yes, it was wonderful. 35°C outside, I was on call, saw at least 40+ children in the ER, git stuck operating on a newborn baby for about 3 hours under a heating lamp which kept his temperature @ 38°C and mine 55°C at least, then had 8 admissions to take care of. And today on rounds with the boss had to endure jokes about the lack of signature on a useless part of the admission from well-rested, well slept colleagues. And I couldn't even make a quick trip home to see my wife.

Yes, wonderful Sunday. Unforgettable.

Sorry for my rant. I am sleep deprived.

Alex  tired 
Marriage is the art of turning a lover into a relative

san747

Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:15 pm

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 25):
Nice, have a safe trip dude. .

Thank you, I will! You may notice I'm going thru BOTH Dallas and O'Hare, I deliberately booked it so as to fly on AA86, the 777-200 between DFW and ORD! Only my second 777 flight ever...
Scotty doesn't know...

trekster

Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:00 pm

I worked the early shift  Sad

Though when i got home at 4 i started a mass clearout of my wardrobe as well, sutff all over hte place at the mo, washing everything and getting rid of alot of stuff i dont wear anymore
Where does the time go???

aviationmaster

Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:43 pm

Last Sunday was awsome because:

- the weather was great
- I went to the Red Bull Air Race in Interlaken which was amazing