Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UAL747
Topic Author

Any New Building Going On At WTC Site?

Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:23 am

I was curious as to the progress of rebuilding the world trade center, it's plans, and what the actual thing is going to look like. I've heard it would be completed by the end of the century. Anyone in Manhattan can clue me in?

Thanks,

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

cfalk

RE: Any New Building Going On At WTC Site?

Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:32 am

Quoting UAL747 (Thread starter):
I've heard it would be completed by the end of the century

Recent advances have meant that it takes less than 100 years to build a building. The Freedom Tower is expected to be complete in 2012. Foundation work was started last year.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

AirframeAS

Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:38 am

I was curious as to the progress of rebuilding the world trade center, it's plans, and what the actual thing is going to look like.

I am one of the opponents (Not a registered one, mind you..) on building anything there EXCEPT for a memorial for those who died. Thats is a gravesite now, not all the bodies are accounted for IIRC. Why build something on top of a tomb? Ridiculous, rude and disgusting, IMO.  yuck  Leave it alone!
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

National757

Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:44 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 2):
Why build something on top of a tomb? Ridiculous, rude and disgusting, IMO. yuck Leave it alone!

While in an ideal world, they wouldn't build something on the WTC site..realistically the land is too valuable for them not to build. I wish they would rebuild the twin towers exactly as they were pre 9/11 (with safety and security improvements of course)

Acey

Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:49 am

Quoting National757 (Reply 3):
I wish they would rebuild the twin towers exactly as they were pre 9/11

I think too many people would think that indicated a mentality that it never happened. Oh, let's just rebuild these things like airliners were never run through them in the first place, and pretend it never happened. I personally don't feel that way, but I think quite a few people would. I think the new plans sufficently memorialize the former WTC.
If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

zanl188

Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:50 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 2):
Thats is a gravesite now, not all the bodies are accounted for IIRC. Why build something on top of a tomb?

The WTC site itself was emptied down to the bathtub walls with everything moved to Fresh Kills - How can it be a gravesite? Re: the surrounding streets and surviving buildings maybe I could see your point but there are no remains on the site itself. Frankly those remains could be anywhere within a rather large radius of the WTC site.......
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

AirframeAS

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:01 am

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 5):
The WTC site itself was emptied down to the bathtub walls with everything moved to Fresh Kills - How can it be a gravesite?

Last year, it was all over the news that the victims kept on being found when they were prepping the land for a new building to be built. It was also all over A.net as well. This, in turn, angered alot of people nationwide that the search for victims was not completed then a probe launched by the NY State governor's office and NYC Mayor's office (I believe..) to gather the facts in the discoveries. Hence as to why I said it's a tomb. I still am a firm believer that there are still the victims bodies are still down there entombed in that dirt.

EMBQA

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:39 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 6):
Last year, it was all over the news that the victims kept on being found when they were prepping the land for a new building to be built.

Not true..... A few bone fragments were found on top of a building in the area....not at the site

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 6):
I still am a firm believer that there are still the victims bodies are still down there entombed in that dirt.

What dirt....?? Its a big empty concrete pit.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

AirframeAS

Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:18 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 7):

Ok, I'm embarassed here. After doing research on it, I stand corrected. I cannot believe after all this time I thought they were found AT the site. I apologize.

UAL747
Topic Author

Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:23 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 1):
Quoting UAL747 (Thread starter): I've heard it would be completed by the end of the century

BLEH, I meant to write, "At the end of this Decade"

Sorry!

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

ltbewr

Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:42 pm

Actually WTC 7 was replaced and is partially occupied now. It was a replacement of the building that collapsed later in the day, from the affects of the fires setting fire to a NY City Emergency Center backup fuel tank.
As to the rest of the site, too much politics (especially from the State of NY), a redesign of the 'Freedom Tower' so was further set back from the street and with other 'security' mods, that they kept finding some human remains, strict building codes, strict 'union' rules, fights over the design of the memorial, to keep the PATH train and local roads open during construction and so on.... all have caused extensive delays of the WTC 1-6 buildings former site.

KFLLCFII

Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:49 pm

Everything you need to know:

Freedom Tower | 1776 ft [541 m] | 2009
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

jamesjimlb

Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:53 pm

http://content.answers.com/main/cont...wp/en/thumb/c/c4/230px-New_wtc.jpg

here, freedom towers i believe it will be called.
The sky is no longer the limit, but the mere minimum

af773atmsp

Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:12 pm

Good thing the Freedom Tower won't be built where the WTC used to be, but close to it. I wish they rebuilt it, I've never seen the WTC before.  Sad Where will the others Freedom Tower buildings be built?
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788,74M
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK,KL,B6
Too many airports to fit in signature.

EMBQA

Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:29 pm

Quoting Af773atmsp (Reply 13):
Good thing the Freedom Tower won't be built where the WTC used to be,

They are being built right on the same spot......but no, not on the actual foot print

[Edited 2007-07-16 06:31:09]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

Acey

Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:40 pm

Important to note that the exact spots where the former towers stood will be memorialized, as you can see.
If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

STT757

Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:31 pm

It's not called the Freedom tower anymore, it's Official name is One World Trade Center. So far Seven World Trade Center was the first to be rebuilt.

If you want real accurate information on NYC Construction, Architecture etc you need to go to Wired New York. It's the architectual equalivant of Airliners.net but for NYC construction and urban planning.

http://wirednewyork.com/

Here's the construction schedule.

Tower 1
-Complete to grade: July 2008
-Complete: Fall 2012

Tower 2
-Ready for foundations: June 2008
-To grade: June 2009
-Complete: June 2013

Tower 3
-Ready for foundations: Dec. 2007
-To grade: Dec. 2008
-Complete: Dec. 2012

Tower 4
-Ready for foundations: Dec. 2007
-To grade: Dec. 2008
-Complete: Dec. 2012

Tower 5
-To grade: Spring 2010
-Complete: Jan. 2013

Memorial
-Plaza opens: Sept. 2009
-Fountains complete: Sept. 2010
-Memorial interior / Museum: Early 2011
-Visitors Center opens: Summer 2011

PATH Hub
-Transit Hall: Spring 2011
-Terminal Complete: Summer 2011

Greek Orthodox Church
-Complete: Summer 2011

Vehicle Security Center
-Complete: Spring 2011

Performing Arts Center
-Complete: Spring 2014

Public space
-Liberty St. Park: Spring 2011
-Streets, Parks, Plazas: Spring 2014

Route 9A: Early 2010

Dey St. Concourse: June 2008

Retail
-Below Grade: Spring 2013
-Tower 3: Summer 2012
-Tower 4: Summer 2012
-Tower 2: End of 2012

Here's the thread for Seven World Trade Center, it was the last building to collapse on September 11th, 2001. And it was the first rebuilt.

Seven World Trade Center

http://www.wtc.com/inner_page.aspx?id=45

The view from Seven World Trade Center.

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=122510&postcount=1399

Five World Trade Center

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12189

Freedom Tower/ One World Trade Center

http://www.wtc.com/ft_leasing.aspx

[Memorial[/b]

Calatrava Transit / PATH hub

Interior

Foster's Two World Trade Center

http://www.wtc.com/tower2.aspx

Three World Trade Centrer

http://www.wtc.com/tower3.aspx

Four World Trade Center

http://www.wtc.com/tower4.aspx

The whole site together, note that Five World Trade Center is not included in any of the renderings because the renderings have not been released yet. Morgan Stanely signed the deal to occupy all of Five World Trade Center a month or two ago, they need to make dramatic design changes to accomodate their trading floors. The renderins for 5WTC should be out soon.

http://www.wtc.com/download.aspx?id=196-w
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Acey

Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:44 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 16):
It's not called the Freedom tower anymore, it's Official name is One World Trade Center.

Good. I don't think I ever liked Freedom Tower, though it looks like it's going to stick as a sort of informal name.

STT757

Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:08 pm

Quoting Acey (Reply 17):
Good. I don't think I ever liked Freedom Tower, though it looks like it's going to stick as a sort of informal name.

Just like the "Twin Towers", their real names were One World Trade Center and Two World Trade Center.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757