Tom in NO
Topic Author

Bonds Hits #754

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:32 am

Barroid just hit #754 off Vanden Hurk of the Marlins...now just one back of Hammerin Hank...

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

AASuper83

RE: Bonds Hits #754

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:35 am

He may very well get the 2 he needs this weekend. It could get ugly if he breaks it in say, LA.

Nice job Barry!

AllegiantAir

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:38 am

How many of you are thinking that when/if he breaks the record that that's going to be all over the news just like the Paris Hilton and Anna Nicole Smith incidents were?

Congrats on getting this far, Barry.
Live to Fly.

AsstChiefMark

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:55 am

I wonder how the little cheating weasel can stand all the booing and insults shouted at him all the time. My morale would have gone down the shitter long ago.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Mir

Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:06 pm

Quoting AllegiantAir (Reply 2):
How many of you are thinking that when/if he breaks the record that that's going to be all over the news just like the Paris Hilton and Anna Nicole Smith incidents were?

Much as I hate Bonds, this would be more newsworthy than either Hilton's escapades or Smith's death.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

USAFHummer

Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:55 pm

Well...Bochy said on SportsCenter before the Marlins series began that Barry was going to rest 1 of the games vs. the Marlins...now that he's hit 754, one must wonder if he will go back on that and let Barry play all 3 games vs. the Marlins so that he can break it at AT&T Park before the Giants go on a 6 game road trip vs. 2 NL West rivals...the Dodgers and Padres...if Bonds doesn't hit 755 & 756 before the end of this series, it will be interesting to see what Bochy does with Bonds...surely he'll get more rest days on the road trip, but they wouldn't sit him all 6 games...would they?

Since we seem to have some people who apparently can channel Bruce Bochy's mind here...speak away....
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

QXatFAT

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:10 pm

As much as I dislike him and his attitude for baseball...and how much I love my Dodgers, I think it would be awesome if someone from the Dodgers gave up his record breaking home run.

I have a feeling that an * will be put next to his name in the record books
Don't Tread On Me!

PSA53

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:50 pm

Quoting QXatFAT (Reply 6):
I think it would be awesome if someone from the Dodgers gave up his record breaking home run.

I highly disagree.First of all,how many times have you seen the Al Downing pitch to Hank.Ugh!!Second.A Dodger or Angel to give up the pitch is about lowness you can get between this rivalry and you best bet Bonds would like nothing better not to mention Giants fans.We would never hear the last of it.So,I hope he does it against Florida and be done with it to shut this affair up.I'm so disgusted with the event anyway and feel it's being stolen from Aaron.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

QXatFAT

Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:03 pm

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 7):
about lowness you can get between this rivalry

Thats why I think it would be cool for a Dodger to give it up BECAUSE of the rivalry.

I am too though tired of the hype. I feel it even took away from Craig Biggio and will also take away from Tom Glavin and his milestone. Although these are not new records, these guys are beasts on the diamond and deserve the recognition. How many more times will we see people win 300 games? Hit 3,000 in a career? We wont see these things that much. Yes Bonds home runs are huge in being 755 home runs in a career, but theres more people than just Barry Bonds.
Don't Tread On Me!

N1120A

Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:08 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 3):
I wonder how the little cheating weasel can stand all the booing and insults shouted at him all the time. My morale would have gone down the shitter long ago.

Perhaps because there is actually something to the guy, unlike what most people think.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

AASuper83

Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:17 pm

He looks like he's actually having fun out there now.....Quite the game tonight against FLA.

AsstChiefMark

Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:19 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 9):
Perhaps because there is actually something to the guy, unlike what most people think.

Or he's too stupid to notice the jeers.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

N1120A

Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:45 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 11):

Or he's too stupid to notice the jeers.

Now you know that isn't true.

AGM100

Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:15 am

I was telling my son how as sports fans we are very fortunate , he and I have got watch some of the greatest players in history in many sports.

Barry Bonds , Randy Johnson , Tony Gwyn , Tiger Woods ,Annika Sorenstam, Michael Jordan , Tom Brady , Brett Favre, Emmitt Smith on and on. One that he did not get to watch with me that I wish he had , was Mr.Payton running the rock in Chicago.

Makes me wonder if these records will all be broken again when he is watching sports with his kid.

As a Pirate fan , Barry will always be a Pirate to me .. Good for him... just an amazing hitter ... ridiculous !!  goldmedal   champagne 
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

itsjustme

Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:26 am

Perhaps because there is actually something to the guy,

Yeah, there's something to the guy all right. About 100 pounds of artificially and illegally induced muscle.

I cannot wait for him to appear at Dodgers' stadium and hear him get the 'welcome' he so richly (literally) deserves.

AGM100

Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:36 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 14):
About 100 pounds of artificially and illegally induced muscle.

True enough ,, but hitting a baseball takes alot more than muscle. Like golf the true power comes from timing and perfect body reaction in a split second. I agree he is not the best person , but if you have ever played baseball you got to give him some credit.

GQfluffy

Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:40 am

Well, hopefully he plays that day game tomorrow, because I'm sitting here in the Sir Francis Drake on Powell looking at my right field tickets.  bigthumbsup  And I need the damned fog to clear up so I can get a good shot of the Golden Gate...
This isn't where I parked my car...

halls120

Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:05 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Thread starter):
Barroid just hit #754 off Vanden Hurk of the Marlins...now just one back of Hammerin Hank...

So what?
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

itsjustme

Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:23 am

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 15):
but if you have ever played baseball you got to give him some credit.

Yes, I, played ball until I was 20 and made it to the AAA league and I don't have to give Bonds anything (other than a punch to his oversized head if I ever have the opportunity). Yes, hitting a baseball isn't the easiest thing to do. Thing is, do you think Hank Aaron resorted to artificial/illegal enhancements to achieve his accomplishments? Babe Ruth? Roger Maris?
I don't. All the Bonds, McGwires, and Sheffeilds have done is hurt the game of baseball.

AGM100

Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:40 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 18):
don't. All the Bonds, McGwires, and Sheffeilds have done is hurt the game of baseball.

Absolutely correct , It is a sad situation indeed. And I agree that the aforementioned have hurt the game tremendously . However if these guys were not already pretty damn good hitters before Balco , then it would be slightly different.

I am of the mind that the steroids did not do all that much to improve their actual hitting , I believe it did effect their longevity which is of course relevant to the records.

I have never been a big fan of the power hitters anyway ,, gimme the consistent small ball RBI guys anyday.

N1120A

Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:39 am

I, played ball until I was 20 and made it to the AAA league

If you made it to AAA by the age of 20, you should be a millionaire

to give Bonds anything (other than a punch to his oversized head if I ever have the opportunity).

Punch him, really? I wonder if Barry's lawyers, or perhaps your bosses in whatever police department you allegedly work for, know about that?

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 14):
About 100 pounds of artificially and illegally induced muscle.

Um, Bonds MAY be 20 pounds heavier than when he signed with the Giants, not 100.

I don't. All the Bonds, McGwires, and Sheffeilds have done is hurt the game of baseball.

Dude, McGwire had a major hand in saving baseball. Apparently you forget what was going on in baseball stadiums post-94, but I certainly remember the parks being empty and people hating the game until McGwire and Sosa put on their magical show in 1998. Follow that up with Barry in 2001 and baseball is back in a big way. None of those guys hurt the game

halls120

Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:52 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 20):
Dude, McGwire had a major hand in saving baseball. Apparently you forget what was going on in baseball stadiums post-94, but I certainly remember the parks being empty and people hating the game until McGwire and Sosa put on their magical show in 1998. Follow that up with Barry in 2001 and baseball is back in a big way. None of those guys hurt the game

I guess if you don't mind the fact that a significant number of power hitters have achieved their records by using illegal substances designed to give them an unfair advantage, then yes, they didn't hurt the game.

Just like gambling refs who throw NBA games and NFL quarterback who run dogfighting rings don't hurt their sports, right?
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

N1120A

Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:07 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 21):

I guess if you don't mind the fact that a significant number of power hitters have achieved their records by using illegal substances designed to give them an unfair advantage,

The question remains as to what advantage at all steroids might give a power hitter, particularly one like Bonds who has never tested positive, who is genetically gifted (his father could well be in the Hall without anyone complaining), and who's biggest strength is his coordination and patience, something that doesn't come from juicing.

Just like gambling refs who throw NBA games and NFL quarterback who run dogfighting rings don't hurt their sports, right?

Again, the proof is in the pudding. Major League Baseball has experienced a resurgence since going into the doldrums in 1994 and most credit goes to the 1998 season when your so-called "cheaters", Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa were having their amazing chase. Combine that with Bonds' play, which included one of the best World Series performances ever in the Giants 7 game loss to the Angels, and those alleged "cheating" athletes absolutely saved baseball.

[Edited 2007-07-30 02:08:16]

halls120

Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:59 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 22):

I guess if you don't mind the fact that a significant number of power hitters have achieved their records by using illegal substances designed to give them an unfair advantage,
The question remains as to what advantage at all steroids might give a power hitter, particularly one like Bonds who has never tested positive, who is genetically gifted (his father could well be in the Hall without anyone complaining), and who's biggest strength is his coordination and patience, something that doesn't come from juicing.

sigh 

Quote:
n May 28, 2006, baseball's Barry Bonds launched his 715th home run a whopping 455 feet to pass Babe Ruth as the number two home run slugger of all time. But allegations of steroid use have caused many fans to turn their backs on the prolific hitter's accomplishment. While we may never know whether Bonds used steroids, the controversy still invites the question, "Can steroids really enhance athletic performance?"
bodybuilder

According to Charles Yesalis, Penn State professor of exercise and sports science, the short answer is yes. "Considering available scientific evidence and overwhelmingly consistent anecdotal reports of athletes, we can conclude anabolic steroids are associated with increase in strength," writes Yesalis in the book Anabolic Steroids in Sport and Exercise.

http://www.rps.psu.edu/probing/steroids.html

If that isn't good enough for you, here's one from the New England Journal of Medicine.

Quote:
But multiple sources of evidence, including personal testimony1,2 and an ever-increasing incidence of doping scandals, suggest the opposite: that widespread use of performance-enhancing drugs has fundamentally distorted the upper range of human athletic performance.

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/extract/351/9/847

Quoting N1120A (Reply 22):
Major League Baseball has experienced a resurgence since going into the doldrums in 1994 and most credit goes to the 1998 season when your so-called "cheaters", Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa were having their amazing chase.

"alleged" cheaters? Sosa using a corked bat was within the rules?

Quote:
During his testimony on March 17, 2005, McGwire declined to answer questions under oath when he appeared before the House Government Reform Committee.

In a tearful opening statement McGwire said,
Ò Asking me or any other player to answer questions about who took steroids in front of television cameras will not solve the problem. If a player answers 'No,' he simply will not be believed; if he answers 'Yes,' he risks public scorn and endless government investigations." During the hearing, McGwire repeatedly responded to questions regarding his own steroid use with the line, "I'm not here to talk about the past... My lawyers have advised me that I cannot answer these questions without jeopardizing my friends, my family, and myself. Ó

[3] When asked if he was asserting his Fifth Amendment right not to incriminate himself, McGwire once again responded:
Ò I'm not here to talk about the past. I'm here to be positive about this subject.

I used to be a McGwire fan. I hope he never makes it into the HoF.

But by all means, keep on admiring them if you wish. Funny, I'm really not surprised that you do.

PAHS200

Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:02 am

Quoting AllegiantAir (Reply 2):

it's America... it will be on every news show for a few weeks

N1120A

Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:36 pm

For all the Bonds haters, here is an interesting article.

http://www.counterpunch.org/zirin03272004.html

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 23):
Sosa using a corked bat was within the rules?

MLB actually accepted Sosa's explanation about the use of the corked bat being inadvertent and limited to that game.

I hope he never makes it into the HoF.

If he doesn't, it would be an absolute travesty.

I am well aware of the fact that steroids can increase strength and have read Yesalis' and Poliquin's studies on their use. There is, however, no study out there that says steroids make someone better at hitting a baseball, which has very little to do with physical strength.

jonathan-l

Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:31 pm

Hittting a baseball may have little to do with physical strength but hitting a baseball 455 feet beyond the bleachers has a lot to do with physical strength.
If it didn't bring him an advantage, he wouldn't have taken them.

As far as "McGwire and Sosa saved baseball", wouldn't it have been all more fantastic if it had been clean? Just the fact that two guys were competing the same season to break THE record for US sports could have lifted them close enough to Roger Maris' figure. And if they had failed by a couple, doesn't it lean towards "see you next year" rather than "damn, baseball will go down the drains because we failed." And what should Maris think? That he was a sacrifice to save baseball for the $10 million players?

Look at what performance enhancement substances have done to cycling.

N1120A

Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:56 pm

Quoting Jonathan-l (Reply 26):
If it didn't bring him an advantage, he wouldn't have taken them.

And Bonds has never, ever been shown to have knowingly taken anabolic steroids. Further, his training and diet alone can easily have been responsible for the incremental gains he has made over the course of his career. Remember, this isn't a dude who just came out of nowhere like Caminiti or one who fizzled out like Canseco, rather he has been one of the most consistent players of all time.

As far as "McGwire and Sosa saved baseball", wouldn't it have been all more fantastic if it had been clean

One, there is absolutely no proof that either one of them used anything illegal. In fact, the one legal supplement McGwire took that came into question is a very poor anabolic and any benefit he likely got was from the unquestionably legal DHEA. No one gave a flying frick then, all they knew was that their heroes were making the game fun again.

And what should Maris think? That he was a sacrifice to save baseball for the $10 million players?

A sacrifice? With all due respect to the late Roger Maris, he didn't have a tenth the talent of Bonds.

Well, one guy who has still never legally tested dirty carried the Tour on his back for years.

halls120

Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:57 pm

The question remains as to what advantage at all steroids might give a power hitter, particularly one like Bonds who has never tested positive

So, when the NEJM says "that widespread use of performance-enhancing drugs has fundamentally distorted the upper range of human athletic performance," they meant to exclude baseball players from that assessment?  rotfl 

Quoting N1120A (Reply 27):
And Bonds has never, ever been shown to have knowingly taken anabolic steroids

Right. And OJ is innocent.  Yeah sure

Funny how now the issue is not whether he used steriods, but whether he knowing took them.

Keep on splitting those hairs.

ORFflyer

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:14 am

unlike what most people think.

That's your opinion. I'd hazard to guess that more people don't like him, than do.

Perhaps because there is actually something to the guy

Again - your opinion.

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 19):
gimme the consistent small ball RBI guys anyday.

Absolutely - And Barroid could possibly have been one of the best at this. Possibly approaching Pete Rose type numbers in hits. Without steroids, he certainly wouldn't be about to break the home-run record IMO.

rather he has been one of the most consistent players of all time.

And could have been this way with people liking him rather than loathing him.

miamiair

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:17 am

Roids won't do anything for hand/eye coordination, but when you choke up on a bat and knock it into the bay, it ain't because he eats Wheaties.

He's a bum. He shouldn't be playing; at all.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

PSA53

Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:08 am

Quoting QXatFAT (Reply 8):
Quoting PSA53 (Reply 7):
about lowness you can get between this rivalry

Thats why I think it would be cool for a Dodger to give it up BECAUSE of the rivalry.

You may get your wish.This Dodger-Giant rivalry goes back to NY,where still today,the great fans of NY still hate the two teams for moving to the west coast.This rivalry is one of the most competitive in all of sport.

If Bonds goes through SoCal(LA,SD) and is denied of history,that would be heaven! If the Dodgers deny Bonds,I'll wear Dodger baseball cap for a week in honor of this denial.Same with the Padres!

One, there is absolutely no proof that either one of them used anything illegal

But as so far as Bonds,true,for now.Baseball is playing politics for the moment and letting him get the record.But when he retires then the fireworks should begin and then the truth comes out.

itsjustme

Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:51 am

If you made it to AAA by the age of 20, you should be a millionaire

Probably would have been had it not been for a dislocated shoulder that never healed properly.

Punch him, really? I wonder if Barry's lawyers, or perhaps your bosses in whatever police department you allegedly work for, know about that?

Are you always this anal? Besides, if I were serious, I'd have to wait in line to punch out the bubble-headed, roided up asshole.

Um, Bonds MAY be 20 pounds heavier than when he signed with the Giants, not 100.

Again, so anal. Take a look at Bonds in the early 90's compared to the Barry Bonds of today.

Ah, "Dude", I stand by my assertion that all the roid boys have done is hurt the game.

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 30):
He's a bum. He shouldn't be playing; at all.

Pretty much sums it up.

[Edited 2007-07-30 21:57:18]

itsjustme

Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:02 am

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 31):

If Bonds goes through SoCal(LA,SD) and is denied of history,that would be heaven!

I have to disagree. It's a given he's going to break the record; how perfect would it be to have him do it in LA and then receive the response from the fans he so richly deserves; 56,000 people booing the crap out of him.

PSA53

Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:52 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 33):
I have to disagree. It's a given he's going to break the record; how perfect would it be to have him do it in LA and then receive the response from the fans he so richly deserves; 56,000 people booing the crap out of him.

Well, that's great in the short term.Why not just throw him a gopher ball, as an insult then?Otherwise,I wouldn't give him the pleasure.Agree,it's a given.Just let him do it at somebody else's expense.Not on our turf.

itsjustme

Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:01 am

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 34):
Well, that's great in the short term.Why not just throw him a gopher ball, as an insult then?Otherwise,I wouldn't give him the pleasure.Agree,it's a given.Just let him do it at somebody else's expense.Not on our turf.

I see your point. However, another benefit of him doing it here would be, chances are pretty good that a Dodgers' fan will catch the ball and be able to cash in on the occasion.

That being said, even though I live here now, I'm not a Dodgers' fan and I have no understanding of the rivalry between SF and LA. If true Dodgers' fans would prefer he broke the record elsewhere, I respect that sentiment.

PSA53

Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:13 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 35):
That being said, even though I live here now, I'm not a Dodgers' fan and I have no understanding of the rivalry between SF and LA. If true Dodgers' fans would prefer he broke the record elsewhere, I respect that sentiment.

checkmark  Fair enough.Enjoy the series.

N1120A

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:02 am

I'm not a Dodgers' fan and I have no understanding of the rivalry between SF and LA. If true Dodgers' fans would prefer he broke the record elsewhere, I respect that sentiment.

The rivalry goes back to when they were the New York Giants and the Brooklyn Dodgers. It is a blood rivalry and means more than any in sports, including the Yankees and Red Sox, because the teams have competed so much over that time.

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 33):
how perfect would it be to have him do it in LA and then receive the response from the fans he so richly deserves; 56,000 people booing the crap out of him.

Hey, a couple years ago he mentioned that getting booed at Dodger Stadium was the ultimate show of just how well he plays the game. It is sort of like when Russell Martin got booed so heavily at the All Star Game. He is the game's best catcher and plays for the Dodgers, which means that boos in San Fran are like cheers in L.A.

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 32):

Again, so anal. Take a look at Bonds in the early 90's compared to the Barry Bonds of today.

Yeah, maybe 20 pounds difference. A lot of that can be attributed to a slowing metabolism as he has gotten older and a commitment to working out. Other than that, his numbers, other than in 2001, have not seen a marked difference.

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 32):

Ah, "Dude", I stand by my assertion that all the roid boys have done is hurt the game.

Well, you can stand by any assertion you want. Baseball is healthier than ever after being less popular than hockey for a while.

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 31):
But when he retires then the fireworks should begin and then the truth comes out.

Based on what Canseco has been saying lately, there is someone else who should be looking out for fireworks

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 30):
Roids won't do anything for hand/eye coordination, but when you choke up on a bat and knock it into the bay

He has choked up his entire career. It gives him better bat control. Which means he makes better contact and is able to wait longer for the ball to get into the strike zone.

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 29):
Without steroids, he certainly wouldn't be about to break the home-run record IMO.

Oh really? If you treat 2001 as an anomaly, Bonds has set his records through consistency, not through a surge here or there. He has not hit 50 home runs other than in 2001 (just like Aaron), and had years in the 30s mixed in with the 40s. He has just been able to do it for 22 years, which actually goes against the common wisdom with anabolic/androgenic steroids, which generally shorten the shelf life of an athlete.

Possibly approaching Pete Rose type numbers in hits.

Probably not. Bonds has always been a power hitter and a high on base percentage guy. That means he often doesn't squeeze a hit out of hits outside of the strike zone and instead gets on by walking or by the extra base hit. Remember too, that for most of his career, giving up a walk to Bonds was like giving up a double to most other guys.

That's your opinion. I'd hazard to guess that more people don't like him, than do.

Of course. There are two reasons for that. One, because he is a great player who doesn't play for their team. I never liked Greg Maddux, except for the short time he spent with the Dodgers. I didn't like Orlando Cabrera until he was signed by the Angels. Second, people buy what the media sells. Bonds is a private person who tells the media what he thinks about them, as opposed to being their golden boy. Because of that, he is portrayed as a bad guy and people are willing to eat it up because he makes their team look stupid.

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 28):

Right. And OJ is innocent.

Not guilty in a court of law, and that is all that should matter.

So, when the NEJM says "that widespread use of performance-enhancing drugs has fundamentally distorted the upper range of human athletic performance," they meant to exclude baseball players from that assessment?

The true effects of steroids have never actually been measured in Major League Baseball, and the effect they do have is a lot less quantifiable because the sport requires so many other factors that steroids don't affect. If anything, I would think that Aderol or Ritalin or even a good old cup of coffee (Albert Belle's drug of choice) would help a baseball player as much or more than steroids.

halls120

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:49 am

I don't care where he breaks the record. If he does break it in LA, I hope the fans turn their backs to him.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 37):
So, when the NEJM says "that widespread use of performance-enhancing drugs has fundamentally distorted the upper range of human athletic performance," they meant to exclude baseball players from that assessment?
The true effects of steroids have never actually been measured in Major League Baseball, and the effect they do have is a lot less quantifiable because the sport requires so many other factors that steroids don't affect.

When did you earn your medical degree?

N1120A

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:58 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 38):

When did you earn your's? I have spent a good chunk of my life around bodybuilding and exercise training in general. I passed the ISSA CFT exam when I was 19 and have studied training and nutrition with Tom Platz, a well known former bodybuilder and trainer with a master of science. There is no doubt that steroids can increase strength and muscle mass. There is absolutely no connection between steroids and coordination or reflexes, nor the ability to swing a baseball bat or select pitches. Even little Ozzie Smith could pound a massive home run if you made a mistake and he put a good swing on the ball.

SlamClick

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:10 am

Just can't get excited about an arrogant unrepentant cheater. He could hit twelve thousand home runs and it would mean nothing because the rules were broken. I'd have totally forgiven all of them if they'd just fessed up. Way too late for that now.

Meanwhile maybe there is some good baseball to be seen with the local minor league team. Showbizball can go on without me.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

halls120

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:13 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 39):
Quoting Halls120 (Reply 38):
When did you earn your's? I have spent a good chunk of my life around bodybuilding and exercise training in general.

And that makes you more qualified than an MD? Who was published in the NEMJ?  rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

Quoting N1120A (Reply 39):
There is absolutely no connection between steroids and coordination or reflexes, nor the ability to swing a baseball bat or select pitches.

so you will of course post a link to your published article, correct Doctor?  rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

StarAC17

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:15 am

Not to mention track & field which has gone to hell as well with all the people that have been accused of doing it there. Also since you are French I have to ask why you still support the Tour de France if it is so dirty and so many people are getting caught? Many sports journalists on this side of the pond think that the sport has lost every little bit of credibility it ever had and should be over with but we also really don't care about cycling at all.

I will say one thing comparing North American sports is that we are just beginning to see a lot of scandals that Europeans have already seen such as betting scandals which has happened in soccer, cycling, figure skating etc (all more popular on your side of the pond)before and we just saw it in the NBA and we are outraged and much bigger than who is on roids because thats the biggest trust in sports and it is much harder to get back.

Well, one guy who has still never legally tested dirty carried the Tour on his back for years.

It seems hard to believe that someone so dominant in cycling was one of the few that never did and they still have all of Lance's urine tests from his first win and they will continually test him every time a new method of testing is developed and eventually try to get him even if it takes 20 years. The similar thing between him and Bonds is that they have never been caught however Lance is a fairy tale story that the media grabs a hold of because he had cancer and is fighting for the cause and is therefore projected in a huge positive light. Where as Bonds tells the media to stick it and doesn't care and they say he is guilty without any proof.

Both athletes have been speculated to do it but the media holds the keys to most of us on weather or not we like them or not.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

USAFHummer

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:26 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 37):
It is a blood rivalry and means more than any in sports,

To you and perhaps others, but not to every single sports fan out there...be nice if you could stop stating your subjective opinions as if they were objective facts...thank you
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

N1120A

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:29 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 41):

And that makes you more qualified than an MD? Who was published in the NEMJ?

And that MD didn't say anything about coordination or patience. Nor would they be more qualified to talk about the mechanics of a baseball swing than someone with training in kinesiology or even a baseball hitting coach, both of whom know more about the subject than an MD, and I have seen neither say that the use of drugs has made those mechanics better.

so you will of course post a link to your published article, correct Doctor?

Here is a study on home run hitting. It not only notes that there has been no real change in home run hitting, and that steroid use is actually counterproductive to proper mechanics.

http://www.arthurdevany.com/2005/10/my_latest_paper.html

halls120

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:37 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 44):
And that makes you more qualified than an MD? Who was published in the NEMJ?
And that MD didn't say anything about coordination or patience.

So says Doctor N1120A  rotfl 

Nor would they be more qualified to talk about the mechanics of a baseball swing than someone with training in kinesiology or even a baseball hitting coach, both of whom know more about the subject than an MD, and I have seen neither say that the use of drugs has made those mechanics better.

So says Doctor N1120A.  rotfl 

so you will of course post a link to your published article, correct Doctor?
Here is a study on home run hitting. It not only notes that there has been no real change in home run hitting, and that steroid use is actually counterproductive to proper mechanics.

http://www.arthurdevany.com/2005/10/....html

You mean Art Devany, a professor of economics?  rotfl 

N1120A

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:43 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 45):
You mean Art Devany, a professor of economics?

No, I mean Art De Vany, the scientist who has written several papers on exercise and fitness.

halls120

Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:20 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 46):
Quoting Halls120 (Reply 45):You mean Art Devany, a professor of economics?
No, I mean Art De Vany, the scientist who has written several papers on exercise and fitness.

well, when you go to the web site you provided a link to - http://www.arthurdevany.com/2005/10/my_latest_paper.html - you can check out this link - http://www.arthurdevany.com/about.html - which says the following: "I am Professor Emeritus of Economics at the University of California, Irvine, where I also was a member of the Institute for Mathematical Behavioral Sciences. I published many articles and books on the organization of industry, incentives, decentralization, and complexity in economic systems. Hollywood Economics: How Extreme Uncertainty Shapes the Film Industry (2004) is my latest book. I am a scientist/athlete and expect to comment on issues of science, uncertainty, the movies, adventure, and fitness as well as other topics from this perspective."

rotfl 

N1120A

Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:25 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 47):

The guy's research goes far beyond economics, and includes a major published study on exactly the kind of performance we are talking about.

itsjustme

Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:43 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 48):
and includes a major published study on exactly the kind of performance we are talking about.

A source would be nice. Without it, you're just spewing personal opinion as being fact, as usual.