Superfly
Topic Author

RadioShack Hits Higher Than Expected Profits

Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:31 am

http://money.cnn.com/2007/07/30/news...t/index.htm?postversion=2007073009

RadioShack Corp. reported a better-than-expected second-quarter profit Monday on cost cutting but sales missed estimates, sending shares of the consumer electronics retailer tumbling about 13 percent.

and in a related article.

Even CEO Can't Figure Out How RadioShack Still In Business  Smile

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/even_ceo_cant_figure_out_how

CEO Julian Day

"There must be some sort of business model that enables this company to make money, but I'll be damned if I know what it is," Day said. "You wouldn't think that people still buy enough strobe lights and extension cords to support an entire nationwide chain, but I guess they must, or I wouldn't have this desk to sit behind all day."

The retail outlet boasts more than 6,000 locations in the United States, and is known best for its wall-sized displays of obscure-looking analog electronics components and its notoriously desperate, high-pressure sales staff. Nevertheless, it ranks as a Fortune 500 company, with gross revenues of over $4.5 billion and fiscal quarter earnings averaging tens of millions of dollars.

http://www.donnasjourneywithals.com/images/remotes1.jpg

===========================================

Radio Shack is know for it's outdated technology but recently has been changing there image by trying to become more modern. There have been times I've walked in to buy blank cassette tape and just about held captive until I commit to buying a cellphone from them. Seemed like there old technology stuff was good enough to stay in business. Just look at how valuable their new old stock of blank real tape, sensing foil, MPX-110 metal bias type IV blank cassette and blank 8track tapes is going for on eBay
Bring back the Concorde

AC773

RE: RadioShack Hits Higher Than Expected Profits

Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:50 am

Quoting Superfly (Thread starter):
Seemed like there old technology stuff was good enough to stay in business.

checkmark  They also have a reputation for poor quality stuff - parts, connectors, interconnect cables; etc.

There are enough consumer electronics stores that RadioShack doesn't need to be in the market. My question is - if the Rat Shack got back to basics and started stocking quality stuff, you bet people would pay a premium to have it right now! The only question is whether that kind of thing can support enough business to make the whole thing viable.

I would just **DIE** if they stocked Neutrik connectors and StarQuad.  drool 
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

desertjets

Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:04 am

Quoting AC773 (Reply 1):
the Rat Shack got back to basics and started stocking quality stuff, you bet people would pay a premium to have it right now!

Thing is, if this stuff is available for a reasonable price online, and with next day or 2nd day shipping, you can get it in a reasonable amount of time, then why does the Shack still exist??? There cannot be that much stuff in that store that one would absolutely need to get a project done.

That said I noticed my local Staples was starting to carry a lot more Radio Shacky items.... large quantities of cables, connectors, etc in their technology section. All kept in stock in reasonable quantities. And if they don't have it in you can order it in store and have it within a day or two. So again, why does the Shack exist???
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

mdodd

Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:29 am

Quoting AC773 (Reply 1):
I would just **DIE** if they stocked Neutrik connectors and StarQuad.

Would be nice, agreed.

I still go to RadioShack occassionally, when I need an (audio) adapter or fuse. It has its uses, as it would be idiotic and impractical to order those little things online.

ShannoninAMA

Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:44 am

Well, the local franchises have some of the crappiest locations, i wonder daily how they make profits....They were at one time one of the last 4 stores in western plaza mall in AMA (just torn down) and finally moved to the westgate mall here (which has much more traffic and is 95% or so leased). They also have one Sitting on the edge of the city limits with nothing else around it.  scratchchin 

And most the time when i end up going there, i end up buying the store brand crap, because its the Least expensive item of theirs that suits me.......they always are sure to price the (little) quality stuff they have much higher then the store brands.

Many reasons why i dont frequent radio shack  Smile

Shan Big grin
Shipwreck alert. Head on over to Airspaceonline.com.

srbmod

Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:49 am

I'm guessing shuttering as many stores as they have helped somewhat, but what their CEO is saying is quite true. Except for some obscure electronics parts and those who still cling to using technology that went out 20+ years ago, there's pretty much nothing you can get at Radio Shack that you can't get at your local Best Buy, Fry's, Circuit City, Wal-Mart (to some extent), etc. And what you can't get at those places, there's probably some specialty retailer online that carries it or it can be found on eBay.

Radio Shack ought to pull out of larger markets and focus on smaller towns where they don't face the competition of the big box retailers. Offer up stuff that otherwise wouldn't be available locally. Online wise, they should just focus on electronics parts.

ShannoninAMA

Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:09 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 5):
I'm guessing shuttering as many stores as they have helped somewhat, but what their CEO is saying is quite true. Except for some obscure electronics parts and those who still cling to using technology that went out 20+ years ago, there's pretty much nothing you can get at Radio Shack that you can't get at your local Best Buy, Fry's, Circuit City, Wal-Mart (to some extent), etc. And what you can't get at those places, there's probably some specialty retailer online that carries it or it can be found on eBay.

Radio Shack ought to pull out of larger markets and focus on smaller towns where they don't face the competition of the big box retailers. Offer up stuff that otherwise wouldn't be available locally. Online wise, they should just focus on electronics parts.

Well, the problem is that their competitors seem to be expanding into the smaller markets as well....heck, AMA has Best buy, circuit city, 4 walmarts and all of that. Even the smaller towns around here (pampa, borger, dumas,panhandle,childress) have walmarts and circuit city's. If they want to try to get into that kind of a business market, they need to either

A) Move into these types of markets before walmart and the others can invade them
B) Try to live through the big city competition and see how long they can last.

I dont know why, but i still see some larger chain buying Radio shack and just shutting down the stores. Thats just my  twocents 

Shan Big grin
Shipwreck alert. Head on over to Airspaceonline.com.

dan2002

Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:40 am

Quoting AC773 (Reply 1):

I would just **DIE** if they stocked Neutrik connectors and StarQuad.

I agree, it would make making patch cables for my effects chain so much easier.
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

Marcus

Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:02 am

I think the biggest competitor to Radio Shack would be their own business model, just like these guys.......

http://www.sterenshopusa.com/
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

AsstChiefMark

Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:07 am

They DESERVE to be out of business. Just how many damned cell phone stores do we need?

Back in the 1970's I could find ANYTHING I needed to build an electronics project.

Now they don't stock SHIT for electronics parts and components.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

PSA53

Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:10 am

Quoting Superfly (Thread starter):
Superfly

Haha,,,,Robie Jr.,funny. The Shack actually had two robots in the line at that time.The white,Robie Sr was the other.

Your right about the stock.It's getting pounded.They had three downgrades in two months.Glad I bailed at $31.

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 2):
That said I noticed my local Staples was starting to carry a lot more Radio Shacky items.... large quantities of cables, connectors, etc in their technology section. All kept in stock in reasonable quantities.

I'm guessing shuttering as many stores as they have helped somewhat,

Accessabilty and customer service has always been the secret Customers do know how to hook up wire A to port
A.Customer service has always been frowned on by management.

4467 stores are on line.It was close to 7,000 at one time.

And as I said before,Shack won't compete with a BBY or CC,because it deals in profit.Not volume.

Radio Shack ought to pull out of larger markets

I disagree.They are finally closing unprofitable stores which they should have done years ago.

[Edited 2007-08-01 23:32:36]
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

Superfly
Topic Author

Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:36 am

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time you needed to use a dry cell battery other than a school science project?
Bring back the Concorde