MCOflyer
Topic Author

Animals You Are Afraid Of?

Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:38 am

After watching Miami Ink and seing how scared Yoshi was of snakes, I've often wondered if you have any animal phobias?

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

SWA TPA

RE: Animals You Are Afraid Of?

Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:43 am

Oh dear lord! I am horribly afraid of cockroaches. Not the little German ones but those big ass Palmetto Bugs! You want to see me cry and have a panic attack? Just put me in a room with one.

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

AsstChiefMark

Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:46 am

badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, mushroom, mushroom.

badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, mushroom, mushroom.

badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, it's a snake. Snake, snake, oooh, it's a snake.

badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, it's a snake. Snake, snake, oooh, it's a snake.

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:46 am

Quoting SWA TPA (Reply 1):
Just put me in a room with one.

I can deal with that, but snakes bug the heck out of me. My sisters hubby has an anaconda. Good to hold but ugghhh. I do not mind cockroaches, not ants except when they bite me.

Hunter

MDorBust

Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:49 am

Rattlesnakes. Nothing but seething, loathing hatred for the buggers. I don't even like thinking about them.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

sandrozrh

Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:52 am

Snakes! Do me a favor - kill them all.

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:55 am

Heres the list:

Snakes: 3

Cockroaches: 1

Badgers: 1

Add others as we go through.

Hunter

kmh1956

Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:00 am

I am horribly afraid of cockroaches. Not the little German ones but those big ass Palmetto Bugs! You want to see me cry and have a panic attack? Just put me in a room with one.

I'm not sure what a Palmetto Bug is, but the cockroaches in Bermuda fly....usually right at me. I actually broke my foot two years ago trying to get away from one...foot got tangled in the thong of my flipflops, I went on my ass, my foot went completely in the wrong direction...and needless to say, the roach got dead rapidly!! I am TERRIFIED of roaches!
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

Acey

Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:03 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 6):
Snakes: 3

Snakes: 4

Snakes scare the sh!t out of me.
If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

oldman55

Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:06 am

Snakes!!!! and centipedes, sometimes called thousand-leggers. I hate when I see them crawling down the walls and imagine they are headed for my bed!! UGH!!!!!!
too bad most of us get too soon old and too late smart

SWA TPA

Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:09 am

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 7):
but the cockroaches in Bermuda fly....usually right at me. I

Yes! Palmeto bugs fly! Usually right at me too! I have the Sherriffs department knocking on my door because of my panic when one flew on me in my apartment once! The neighbors thought someone was attacking me and called the cops! LOL!

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

Sabena332

Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:10 am

I am not afraid of any animal actually. Ok, lions, tigers, bears, sharks, etc. would scare the hell out of me when I would met them anywhere outside a zoo but I have no real animal phobia. I wasn't really comfortable with spiders in the past, but one day I got bitten by a big one in Lake Tahoe, CA (pain as hell) and since that day I find these animals rather interesting and not really scary anymore.

A lot of you guys mentioned snakes... I never had any problems with them. I even "played" with a colleague's snake once (it crept over the whole upper part of my body) and I found it rather funny (it was not a danderous snake, though).

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

ShannoninAMA

Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:12 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 3):
but snakes bug the heck out of me

checkmark 

I hate those damned things!  scared 

I also am scared of wasps....not really bees or hornets for some reason, but wasps.. scared 
Shipwreck alert. Head on over to Airspaceonline.com.

rlwynn

Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:16 am

Lions Tigers and Bears oh my!!!!
I can drive faster than you

aa61hvy

Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:17 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 2):

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!! Ever seen the European one with "footy footy footy?"
The snake with the cig in his mouth is the best.
--------------------

Scorpions for me. I had a close call with a big one in Costa Rica.

Bull Sharks too-found in most oceans; not to mention their testosterone level is beyond JCS's frat house with a woman in there. Thus making them more aggressive.
Go big or go home

Siren

Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:27 am

Guppies. It's like a whole family of little tropical fish out to do evil. What is it with this reproducing without eggs thing? Livebirths? It's unnatural! Wipe them out!

ShannoninAMA

Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:37 am

Quoting Siren (Reply 15):

Well if we go that far, then baracudas! We went deep sea fishing in CUN and someone caught one.... scared 
Shipwreck alert. Head on over to Airspaceonline.com.

san747

Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:37 am

I'm not scared of animals as much as some just gross me out. It's basically the same reaction. Animals that fall into that category mostly include insects- specifally, if I can make out facial features on an insect, it's large enough to freak me out. I've seen moths 6" wide and thank God it was on the other side of the screen or I would've gone crazy.

...and of course, bees. I'm not scared of them, but I certainly don't like being around them when I don't need to be.
Scotty doesn't know...

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:40 am

Quoting San747 (Reply 17):
bees

I've been stung right by the eye once. Not very pleasant.

Hunter

jcs17

Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:07 am

Snakes - Kill them all.

Sharks and eels - My fear of those things have almost stopped me from going scuba diving a few times.

Horses - Beats the shit out of me why I'm scared of them.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

RSWA330

Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:27 am

Sharks!!

I hate when people say "Sharks only attack because they mistake people for something else." Ya right! Sharks need to eat and they will eat pretty much anything that moves. They don't care whether you're a human or a fish. Since when do people know what sharks are thinking?

PPVRA

Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:47 am

Snakes/eels and frogs/toads. The latter being disgusting creatures.  vomit 
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

aa61hvy

Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:30 am

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 19):
Beats the shit out of me why I'm scared of them.

I think I could venture a theory  Wink
Go big or go home

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:47 am

Quoting ShannoninAMA (Reply 16):
Well if we go that far, then baracudas! We went deep sea fishing in CUN and someone caught one....

I caught one and had it framed. It still has original teeth.

Hunter

bongo

Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:51 am

Sharks (I´m a fan of scuba diving but I don´t do it mainly because of them  Sad )
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

AsstChiefMark

Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:27 pm

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

cba

Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:36 pm

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 7):

I'm not sure what a Palmetto Bug is, but the cockroaches in Bermuda fly....usually right at me

Ditto in Texas, those 'roaches are nasty! Not really afraid of them, but I do get edgy when they fly right at me!

Quoting ShannoninAMA (Reply 12):
wasps.

Hate wasps. I can deal with bees as they're usually not aggressive. Wasps are a different matter. I've been stung before and it is not so fun.

Haven't had an encounter with these yet, but Man-O-War Jellyfish. Have a good buddy who got stung by one when he was a kid and still has scars on his leg to show from it.

futureualpilot

Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:41 pm

Quoting RSWA330 (Reply 20):
Sharks need to eat and they will eat pretty much anything that moves. They don't care whether you're a human or a fish.

That is not entirely true, there is plenty of evidence showing that sharks can and do distinguish between humans, and their normal source of food. The evidence shows that they are not mindless eating machines, like so many believe. Most shark "attacks" are not them attempting to feed, but them investigating what we are. (Shark Week rocks...)

As far as the original post, I've never been a fan of large spiders. Don't have a huge fear of them, but I'm no fan of them either.
Life is better when you surf.

graphic

Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:42 pm

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 14):
not to mention their testosterone level is beyond JCS's frat house with a woman in there. Thus making them more aggressive.

Nah, at UND Pi Kappa Phi is the dorky frat. I doubt a woman would raise their testosterone level much, if at all.
Demand Media fails at life

Mir

Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:54 pm

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 14):
Ever seen the European one with "footy footy footy?"

For those who haven't: http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/footy/

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

PlymSpotter

Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:07 pm

I am wary of just about any large animal when it is frightened and feel threatened, aside of that so long as you treat them with caution and don't hassle them you should be fine. Ones that I am particularly wary of that we have in the UK are;

Wild Boars and pissed off pigs
Bulls/Cows
Rams and sheep protecting newborns

I nearly had my face kicked in by a cow once when I was milking it, didn't normally kick or make a fuss, but this time it just lashed out and nearly got me. Also be very afraid of goats - they will get out of anywhere and eat anything - including the clothes you are wearing!  silly 

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

SJUboeingGirl

Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:45 pm

I have a phobia for caterpillars, worms and cockroaches.
If it's not Boeing, I ain't Going!

Jetsgo

Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:49 pm

For me it's the usual. Snakes, Centipedes, Wasps, Scorpions, and Snakes.

Quoting Cba (Reply 26):
Man-O-War Jellyfish.

In 2002 I was on the North Shore of Oahu and was stung by one. It somehow got between my leg and my swimsuit before I felt its painful sting. What's worse is because it was stuck between my leg and swimsuit, it was a constant sting for about 10 seconds until I could shake it out. Needless to say I was freaking out. Some people thought I was bit by a shark. I had to spend that afternoon at Queens Hospital in Honolulu. The pee and cold meat just didn't help it. Talk about a trip ruiner.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

N776AU

Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:06 pm

Anything with a stinger that's not a bee. At least bees die when they're done stinging. They seem to think twice about doing such.

Venomous snakes (I imagine) will scare me to death. The non-lethal varieties don't bother me.

Spiders I'm not so much afraid of, but they're just so sick. They're these little bugs with 8 legs.
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

airwave

Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:24 pm

Quoting Siren (Reply 15):
Guppies. It's like a whole family of little tropical fish out to do evil. What is it with this reproducing without eggs thing? Livebirths? It's unnatural! Wipe them out!

This made me laugh out loud--thanks for that, haha.

Oh, I'm afraid of sheep. I know this will come as a disappointment to certain forum members who are on a first name basis with their local Ovis anes, but when you're horseback riding, the last thing you expect is for some random sheep to come out of nowhere and try and take a chunk out of your calf. I'm not big on attempted reversals of the food chain. Now lambs I have no problem with, alive or cooked...
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Blackbird

Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:40 pm

I don't really to my knowledge have any phobia per se...

However, there are animals I'm afraid of because they could kill me, or cause severe bodily harm, potentially spread a disease, etc...

For example

Pirhana's -- They attack and packs and in seconds, bite and shread every last piece of meat off anything that happens to wander into their waters...

Sharks -- Does this really need an explanation? They, while dumb as a door-nail, have rows and rows of razor-sharp teeth, some of the strongest jaws known to man, a seemingly unreal sense of smell for even the tiniest amount of blood, and the ability to even detect minute electrical discarges produced by contracting muscles, and if hungry enough will seemingly eat anything they can swallow. They've even found tires in the bellies of some sharks!

Poisonous Snakes, Box Jellyfish, and such -- Being poisoned is not a good way to go... generally such substances work by screwing with your nervous system. Symptoms can include (depends on the creature in particular, but include) Total paralysis, agonizingly painful muscle contractions, delirium, and death

Constrictor Snakes: Out of all the ways to die, I don't think anyone wants to die by being strangled, constricted, or in one way or another prevented from breating.

Leopards -- Highly nimble, agile, and mean! They are known to attack humans...

Andrea Kent

GQfluffy

Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:12 pm

Spiders...can't stand the scary legged f*cks...bitten by a widow once...sicker then hell for almost a week...

Snakes. Meh...no biggie. Hell, I've killed three rattlesnakes last summer at my grandfather's farm.

The only other animal that I could say I have a realistic chance of running across (and I've come across them before) are mountain lions. Those SOB's are...*shudders...sneaky as hell, and well take a chew on you whenever they get a chance if they're the least bit hungry. They're just about fearless as a Grizzly Bear...

Quoting Bongo (Reply 24):
I´m a fan of scuba

So do you know the story of the Hippo?
This isn't where I parked my car...

Beaucaire

Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:15 pm

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 5):
Snakes! Do me a favor - kill them all.

If you would kill all the snakes ,the population of rodents would raise to a level where humankind would be without grain/corn harvest...
50% of third-world countries would starve to death...
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

Halcyon

Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:44 pm

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 36):
least bit hungry. T

checkmark 

Always stalking people around here too, and they've been known to go in groups if it's been a bad winter. Can't stand them, and we have a lot over in the NW...

ShyFlyer

Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:18 pm

You want to see me cry and have a panic attack? Just put me in a room with one.

The same thing happens when we're in a room with a girl.

Signed,
Most of Civ-Av.

Can't say that I'm afraid of large dogs, but I am very uncomfortable around them.

I am afraid of bears, mountain lions, cougars, and the like. As long as we are including insects, bees and anything that buzzes like a bee.
I lift things up and put them down.

aviationmaster

Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:33 pm

For me:

snakes, scorpions and some spiders

B747forever

Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:42 pm

Quoting Aviationmaster (Reply 40):
snakes, scorpions and some spiders

checkmark 
Work Hard, Fly Right

Wolverine

Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:02 pm

I'm scared of those big black spiders, that creep over your way sometimes, mostly at night, when you're on your way to the restroom.
I have no problems with small spiders, but those big black ones, uuuaaaahhh
Face your fears, live your dreams! (No Fear)

aloha73g

Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:23 pm

SNAKES!!!

Thank God I live in Hawai'i cuz there aint any!! If I ever saw one I think I would have a panic attack. Seeing one on TV or a picture in a magazine and I have a mini panic attack. I have to stand in the middle of a room for a few minutes and calm down. When I was small, I used to hang on my mom's leg and scream.....fortunately those days are over! (but not by much  Wink )

-Aloha
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

airfoilsguy

Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:26 pm

Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 305kb
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

Gemuser

Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:43 pm

Funnel web spiders!!!!! Most poisions vemon of all animals. Also Sharks. Unfortunately both are relatively common in my immediate enviroment.

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

NZ747

Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:24 pm

Snakes: Sometimes have a dream where I am being chased by one and it is faster than me...Tasty tho!  yummy 

cockroaches: Scared of the big ones especuially the ones that fly. If one is in my room I won't go to bed until its dead and even after that I will be up for hours hidden under the sheets trying to sleep. If one touches me I will have a shower and wash where it touched me 20 times.

Centipedes: Won't go near one. Once there was a big 12-14inch one in the house and I couldnt sleep for a long time. I would put a towl under the door to block the tiny gap incase one came in and would be under my sheets in such a way as to not allow any gaps for one came in.  boxedin  Was also once chased 12inch one which I knew was already dead. Sad thing Is I was about 18 at the time and person chasing me with it was like 10...  Sad

Fat Chicks: Well, who isn't!  scared 

jafa39

Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:47 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Thread starter):
Animals You Are Afraid Of?

Loan Sharks........and Jehova's Witnesses
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

gkirk

Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:49 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 47):
Loan Sharks........and Jehova's Witnesses

rotfl 
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

itsjustme

Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:51 pm

Bats. Hate those fuckers! Rats with wings is all they are. It stems from my childhood when my idiot friends used to tantalize them when they came out at dusk (we lived across the street from a wooded area). My pals would use flashlights and get them to follow the beam down and try and get them to crash into the pavement. They (the bats) eventually got pissed off and started dive bombing us (one actually buzzed across my head as I was running home). Cripe, that was 30 years ago and I still get the willies just thinking about it.