Speedbirdie

RE: Animals You Are Afraid Of?

Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:11 pm

Im scared stiff of Daddy Long Legs... The things come out for the first week of September here and then die, but its the worst time of the year for me. The little buggers dive and bomb you when you least expect it and its awful.
I think my worst fear would be to have one stuck in my hair...
Ugh I feel sick now...
Never give up..

DAL767400ER

Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:30 pm

Anything that stings, mainly wasps, hornets and mosquitos. And spiders with short legs and a fat body. Somehow those buggers disgust me way worse than your normal house spiders. Don't actually mind snakes, to the contrary, I think quite a few of them actually look pretty cool.

OHLHD

Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:32 pm

I am not afraid of any particular animal but my late grandfather taught me to have respect for all animals even though they are smaller or lighter than me

I would never put myself into danger my running with Rhinos or dancing with snakes.

Just have a little respect for them.  Smile

Beaucaire

Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:35 pm

Let's be honest and real- mother nature has created thousands of different species because they play a role in the natural balance..
If some dislike spiders,snakes or rats- all of them have most definitely e well defined place within the amazing puzzle of nature.I have though a problem to find the utility of mosquito's-but seemingly even they are around for some mysterious reason...
As a fervent defender of animals (..all of them..) I appreciate the fear of some humans from certain species- but let's be honest- the most dangerous animal of all are the humans.....
Only we have developed the skills to destroy our environment and living base,only we have developed skills to eradicate thousands of other species,only we have no respect whatsoever for mother nature...
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

ZakHH

Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:08 pm

I'd certainly prefer not to meet any scorpions, poisonous snakes or predators in the wild. Also, I have a strong dislike for jellyfish, even the harmless version.

But the only animal I have a real phobia towards is spiders. I know how ridiculous it is, but I just cannot stand them. If I spot one, watch me sprint to the other direction right away.

However, I noticed that it got a bit better since I do garden works. Still, my bedroom is a definite no-go area for spiders!

An animal I am not afraid of, but that I learned to hate is: slugs. These slimy, brown, flower-eating PsOS can drive me nuts. I find at least 10 of them during my evening patrol every day. In the beginning, I tried to get rid of them in a civilized way, but nowadays, I just slash them to pieces (my neighbors call it the "Hamburg Slugsaw Massacre" already). These buggers must have sprung into existence while The Lord was on the loo... RHAAA!
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

DAL767400ER

Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:17 pm

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 54):
An animal I am not afraid of, but that I learned to hate is: slugs. These slimy, brown, flower-eating PsOS can drive me nuts. I find at least 10 of them during my evening patrol every day. In the beginning, I tried to get rid of them in a civilized way, but nowadays, I just slash them to pieces (my neighbors call it the "Hamburg Slugsaw Massacre" already). These buggers must have sprung into existence while The Lord was on the loo... RHAAA!

Here's the solution to your problem:

Those ducks look funny as hell, and are very efficient as far as getting rid of slugs.

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 53):
I have though a problem to find the utility of mosquito's-but seemingly even they are around for some mysterious reason...

Well, some conserved prehistoric examples provided us with Dino-DNA, but other than that...

ZakHH

Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:07 pm

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 55):
Those ducks look funny as hell, and are very efficient as far as getting rid of slugs.

Is that a special race?
At our new house, we have a lake right next to the garden, so getting some ducks to settle there should not be a major problem.

RobertNL070

Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:27 pm

Birds, butterflies and moths.

Last night saw me leaping around the bedroom with a rolled-up newspaper in my attempts to evict an enormous and very hirsute moth  grumpy  Very entertaining for the casual onlooker.

Robert
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

DAL767400ER

Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:12 pm

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 56):
Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 55):
Is that a special race?
At our new house, we have a lake right next to the garden, so getting some ducks to settle there should not be a major problem.

The race is called "Indische Laufente". A friend of ours in Husum has a couple of those, and they keep his entire property slug- and snail-free. Having a lake is quite ideal, as the use the water to "clean" the slugs before eating them, though they'd also need a stable to live in.

They have gotten quite popular in recent years, going as far as an Austrian company launching the program "Rent-an-Ent", where you can rent those ducks for the summer season while they spend the winter in the company's facilities.

bongo

Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:29 pm

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 36):
So do you know the story of the Hippo?

Not yet...tell me please.
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

GQfluffy

Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:01 am

The hippopotamus, he is not one going, "Cool beans. I am a hippo." No way, Jose. So he try to paint the stripe on himself to be like the zebra, but he fool no one. Then he try to put the spot on his skin to be like the leopard, but everyone know he is a hippo. So, at certain point, he look himself in the mirror and he just say, "Hey. I am a hippopotamus and there is nothing I can do about it." And, as soon as he accepts this, he live life happy. Happy as a hippo. You understand?
This isn't where I parked my car...

Tom in NO

Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:11 am

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Halcyon

Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:27 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 61):

Terrible fear of grasshoppers?

Tom in NO

Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:36 am

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 62):
Terrible fear of grasshoppers?

Yup.....fear the grasshopper, keep the scorpion as a pet.....right next to my pet Western Diamondback  wink 

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Halcyon

Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:01 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 63):

The Discovery Channel can do that to you.  Silly

AllegiantAir

Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:02 am

I hate snakes. I'm not too fond of all the crazy insects around here like centipedes, horseflies, etc. either.

As for fish, up in my neck of hte woods I hate Northern, and for oceans anglerfish (I think that's what their called) scare the heck out of me.
Live to Fly.

airfoilsguy

Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:05 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 63):
Yup.....fear the grasshopper, keep the scorpion as a pet.....right next to my pet Western Diamondback

I recently heard on the news that a jeweler is keeping scorpions in his display cases in an attempt to discourage the smash and grab thugs.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

ZakHH

Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:13 am

Quoting AllegiantAir (Reply 65):
As for fish, up in my neck of hte woods I hate Northern, and for oceans anglerfish (I think that's what their called) scare the heck out of me.

Say hello to:

britjap

Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:18 am

I hate it when you are in the sea and a fat jellyfish comes floating in your direction  scared  And because you are in the water you just cant move out of the way fast enough.

After that even if an innocent piece of seaweed so much as brushes your leg underwater you get a panic attack.

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 67):

hahahah now that is ugly!

DC10extender

Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:44 am

Quoting BritJap (Reply 68):
I hate it when you are in the sea and a fat jellyfish comes floating in your direction

I was scuba diving in Grand Cayman a month ago and was with a group of twenty people. We were attacked by jellyfish and I had a man of war wrapped around my arm. Still not afraid of them though.
Did you ever read on your birth certificate that life is fair? Thats cause its not there.

TuRbUleNc3

Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:48 am

For me, rats especially and mice. If i see one either dead or on the street ill run a mile. Ironically enough i like hamsters though.

aa61hvy

Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:55 am

Quoting DC10extender (Reply 69):
man of war wrapped around my arm

I thought that kills you within 5 mins?
Go big or go home

tz757300

Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:00 am

Im pretty afraid of bees and wasps. As a little boy, I was playing in a backyard and inadvertently stepped in a giant hive. I ended up in a hospital for a week with over 3000 stings all over my body in places you wouldn't even want to know. I never again want to relive that experience.

57AZ

Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:06 am

D-back rattler. They love to come and go in the early morning and early evening at twilight. Out here we don't walk outside in the more remote areas after dark if possible for this very reason.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

LHboyatDTW

Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:27 am

Anything that stings and is venomous.

Sharks tend to freak me out. Though it's mainly the large ones like great whites and tiger sharks. I've seen them in them wild, but never any dangerous type.

I also dreaded any pet of my neighbor's. Their dog is fine, but their cats scratch me out of nowhere and don't even get me started with their parrot.
The air in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious because it's the same the angels breathe.

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:25 am

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 39):
Can't say that I'm afraid of large dogs, but I am very uncomfortable around them.

Been there and conquered that with police dogs.

I'm afraid of the girl from Unaccompied minors. The one with the braces and glasses scares the living bejesus out of me. Other than that, some birds.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

aa61hvy

Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:42 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 75):
I'm afraid of the girl from Unaccompied minors. The one with the braces and glasses scares the living bejesus out of me

(from the movie)
Go big or go home

AllegiantAir

Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:26 am

Oh, thanks.  Wink
Live to Fly.

JCKastrup

Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:23 am

Wolverines........... Those claws. Those killer eyes. Those teeth. Fascinating animal that scares the shit out of me.
Who the hell wants to fly to JFK? Nobody does, That's who!

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:40 am

AA61Hwy, do you have a pic with her glasses on?

Hunter

aa61hvy

Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:45 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 79):
AA61Hwy, do you have a pic with her glasses on?

I just typed in the movie into IMDB and then looked for the weirdest lookin girl in the movie-then searched her name into google images.
Go big or go home

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:48 am

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 80):
weirdest lookin girl

Lol, more like a girl from Dennis the Mennis.

Hunter

ordryan28

Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:35 pm

A380, An-124, 747...  Wink

In all actuality, anything that swims near me (in salt water). Obviously sharks top the list, but, even though many are docile, whales come in at a close second. Pretty much anything that swims by me (especially grazing me) scares the shit out of me.
Whoever said winning is not everything never fought cancer.

ordryan28

Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:37 pm

My last post seems a bit repetitive...oh well
Whoever said winning is not everything never fought cancer.

windshear

Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:07 pm

Sharks...

The picture is actually not of a shark, but a dolphin... But I think you get the picture.

Boaz.
"If you believe breaking is possible, believe in fixing also"-Rebbe Nachman

pawsleykat

Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:18 pm

Wasps, Spiders and Jellyfish... can't stand any of them but I am really bad with spiders... If there is one in the room, no matter the size, I can't sleep until someone's got rid of it. However, I am ok with the big ones coz they don't move as fast and I can hit them with the hammer if need be...  laughing 

JG  Yeah sure
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

aero145

Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:18 pm

Quoting N776AU (Reply 33):
At least bees die when they're done stinging.

Bumblebees don't, at least the Icelandic ones.

AM744

Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:38 pm

Rats and Sharks.

F
i
l
l
e
r

DC10extender

Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:49 pm

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 71):
I thought that kills you within 5 mins?

No, it was smaller than the huge ones but left some nasty scars.
Did you ever read on your birth certificate that life is fair? Thats cause its not there.

WestJetForLife

Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:07 pm

The only things that scare me are horses, wasps and goats.

I got bit on the butt by a horse when I was 9 (apparently the stupid thing thought my derriere was hay), and a goat trampled me when I was at a petting zoo. I have since grown a hatred towards goats.

Snakes don't bother me (obviously, I have a corn snake as a pet), nor do bees or hornets (bees actually like me, since I look like a giant flower with the kinds of shirts I wear).

Nik
I need a drink.

HAWK21M

Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:28 pm

None really,But its the unpredictability of some that concern me.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

aerorobnz

Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:40 pm

After spending nights in the Savannah of East Africa in a tent for the past 5 weeks, let me just say I can handle Lions, Hyenas, cobra and scorpions walking around the campsites but the thought of Hippos and Cape Buffalo just outside my tent still reminds me of how scared I got when the hippos were right next to the tent.....I'm not sure I'm afraid of them now, but I give them a lot of distance between them and me if I can.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

melpax

Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:36 pm

F**K, that's horrible!!!!!!!
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

cabso1

Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:16 pm

All the FUCKING DAMN BLOODY Insects. I hate them to bits, and I'm scared shitless of them. And add to that the dogs that scare me too.

Kovi17

Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:28 am

ZakHH.........what the hell is that? I hope thats fake...
We dont worry about small things like that...