Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LHMark
Topic Author

Tancredo's Terror Retaliation Plan: Bomb Mecca.

Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:53 am

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...redo-bomb-muslim-holy-sites-first/

This is the most irresponsible kind of political grandstanding. Tancredo's playing the fear and suspicion card to grow votes from his base.

What an idiot.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Mir

RE: Tancredo's Terror Retaliation Plan: Bomb Mecca.

Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:58 am

Well, it's a deterrent. Who knows, it might work.

But it probably won't, because it would justify the cause of the terrorists - that the US is an anti-Muslim country - and in doing so rally many more to their cause. Very bad idea.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

aloges

Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:02 am

Hey, didn't we have a thread titled "Nuke Mecca" a couple of days back? Yes, we did! Big grin
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

LHMark
Topic Author

Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:04 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):

Martyred holy cities are still holy cities. It would be a major inflammatory, not a deterrent.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

PSA53

Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:23 am

At on time,I said remote control some aircraft from the Mojave desert,send them to Mecca at the least amount casualty, meaning very early morning hours, for destroying our "religious mecca in the free world" which is the WTC.The WTC was our religious symbol of strenght and why the terrorist were so obsessed in destroying them.

Out of anger,I said this, but in todays world,I would launch them towards military targets in Iran and suspected terrorists camps.So,I don't totally disagree with Tancredo remarks.It's a political statement as were the terrorists on 9/11.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

Pope

Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:30 am

Deterence only works when people fear the loss of what you are threatening to destroy. The most radical elements of Islam don't really care because their hatred for the West blinds them. So destroy Mecca would only create more enemies.

This is a stupid publicity stunt by a guy desparate for attention.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

sean1234

Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:32 am

We are past the point of making deterent threats. It is about as absurd as saying after a war with the USSR began to declare that the next attack will result in a counter attack. Secondly, these are not acts by sovereign countries, yet the attack would be to Saudia Arabia, killing civilians, which is in itself a terrorist attack. Also by this logic, Al Qaeda or whoever could say the next US attack in Baghdad, or Kandahar or whereever is legitimate grounds for a counter-attack in the US.

cfalk

Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:33 am

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 3):
Martyred holy cities are still holy cities. It would be a major inflammatory, not a deterrent.

I'm not so sure. The all-powerful image of Islam that is in the heads of fundies would be severely shaken by the knowledge that the holy Kabaa and the Great Mosque have been vaporized.

But you would seriously piss off all the moderates.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

NoUFO

RE: Tancredo's Terror Retaliation Plan: Bomb Mecca

Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:49 am

Last time I checked, Medina and Mecca were both cities in Saudi Arabia, an U.S. ally and one of the countires expecting to receive new wepons from the USA.

While first providing weapons to a country and later attacking the same sounds familiar to me, I doubt it's a good idea to threat allies with war.

[Edited 2007-08-03 22:51:19]
I support the right to arm bears

GDB

Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:28 am

So we can conclude that this prick, running for high public office, has a very similar mindset to Al Queda itself?

He does not sound fit to run a hotdog stall.

FlyingTexan

Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:29 am

Tancredo is a racist.

Last week, he was at the NAACP debate, the only Republican running to show up. He got a standing ovation for showing up and a standing ovation for leaving!

biggrin 
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

ltbewr

Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:00 am

If things ever got so bad that a President would consider destroying the most sacred shines of one of the largest faiths in the world, then it would be the Apocalypse. That would give then the 'right' to terror bomb sacred shines of the Christian and Jewish faiths. This a-hole's idea is totally wrong, racist and just encourges too simple answers to very complicaed issues.
I like Sen. Obama's idea to go after al-Queda in Pakistan now, and without the help and hindrance of the Musharraf government. That is the real enemy - not Islam.

halls120

Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:11 am

Let me start out by proclaiming that announcing the idea of nuking Mecca or any other religious site is simply sick.

What's absurd about this whole debate is that Tancredo is being vilified for advocating a policy virtually indistinguishable from the policy we followed during the cold war - not because the policy won't work in this case (OK, a few posters raised it) - but because he is advocating using nukes against a religious target.

So let's see if I understand this - it's OK for us to target Russian cities, and for Russians to target US cities, but one cannot advocate targeting a religious site, even though the religious site may be targeting us.

Amazing
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

[email protected]

Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:18 am

I don't know who Tancredo is but after that comment you have to ignore and marginalise creeps like this. There seems to be one too many politicians in America who are itching for a fight, who want to ignite and inflame the situation more in the middle east with their fantasy "ideas". Mr Obama's reckless, arrogant and self-serving comments about Pakistan the other day didn't help either. When are these politicans going to learn that their grandstanding opinions are just fantasy's which won't solve anything other than bringing more danger and death to Americans?

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 7):
But you would seriously piss off all the moderates

Moderates? If America ever did such a thing there will be no such thing as a "moderate muslim", instead of being Al-Qaeda vs the free world it would be tens of millions of ordinary muslims vs America.
In Arsene we trust!!

PC12Fan

Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:25 am

I personally think it's a great idea!! A relatively small percentage of the Muslim world is pissed off at us - I mean the Bush Administration. Let's just go ahead and get 1/6th of the world to want to kill us all!

Brilliant!!

What a f###ing idiot!  banghead 
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

bill142

Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:17 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):

Yeah lets tell them that first and see how long it is before they start planing an attack on somewhere like the Vatican.

Mir

Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:40 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 15):
Quoting Mir (Reply 1):

Yeah lets tell them that first and see how long it is before they start planing an attack on somewhere like the Vatican.

You didn't read the rest of my post, did you?

I do NOT think that threatening to destroy Mecca is a good idea, because it legitimizes groups like al-Qaeda who claim that the US is the enemy of Islam. Once you threaten to do something, you have to follow through with it. So if you do destroy Mecca, you turn the US into the enemy of all Muslims, not just Muslim extremists. And it would destroy our economy once Saudi Arabia decides that it won't be selling us any more oil.

It is at best an empty threat.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

ME AVN FAN

Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:02 pm

Quoting LHMARK (Thread starter):

-
Mr Tancredo apparently is not aware of what the third holy Muslim site is: Jerusalem --- unless he wants to bomb that city too !

jcs17

Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:03 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 17):
Mr Tancredo apparently is not aware of what the third holy Muslim site is: Jerusalem --- unless he wants to bomb that city too !

You mean that city that Muslims didn't really care about until the Jews moved back into the neighborhood?
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Pyrex

Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:03 pm

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 4):
but in todays world,I would launch them towards military targets in Iran

Yeah, that makes perfect sense - bomb a country that is not connected to Al-Qaeda in any way (and, in fact, helps you fight the Taleban in Afghanistan) in response to an attack from Al-Qaeda. Heck, it worked wonders in Iraq, why not Iran?

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 13):
Mr Obama's reckless, arrogant and self-serving comments about Pakistan the other day didn't help either.

Reckless and arrogant why? How long is the West supposed to put up with the bullshit from that dictator Musharraf? If he's not willing to fight in South Waziristan then we have to find someone that is.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

Emirates773ER

Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:38 pm

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 18):
moved

They "forced themselves".
The Truth is Out There ---- Face It!!!!!

Falcon84

Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:59 pm

Well, if you want a thousand-year religious war, this would do it.  Yeah sure

I'm not saying the U.S. doesn't have to deal with Saudi Arabia, because I feel, in the end, if the war on terror is to be won, we will have to deal with their two-faced attitude. But to destroy Mecca? Welcome to perdition, folks.
Work Right, Fly Hard

VC10BOAC

Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:01 am

Quoting PC12Fan (Reply 14):
What a f###ing idiot!

My sentiments exactly. Actually I stopped listening to this idiot after he said in one of the debates that if he becomes president he wull push to ban not just illegal immigration but also bar any LEGAL immigrants from entering the USA because there are already enough. I just don't remember seeing the name "Tancredo" on the passenger list from the Mayflower.

Emirates773ER

Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:45 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 7):
I'm not so sure. The all-powerful image of Islam that is in the heads of fundies would be severely shaken by the knowledge that the holy Kabaa and the Great Mosque have been vaporized.

The fact that such a thought seems remotely justifiable to you is sickening to say the least.

[email protected]

Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:29 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 19):
Reckless and arrogant why? How long is the West supposed to put up with the bullshit from that dictator Musharraf? If he's not willing to fight in South Waziristan then we have to find someone that is

This guy is not even in office yet he's already threatening and showing the willingness to attack a sovereign nation, it's a case of, "We're America, we've got the guns and bombs and we'll bust into your place if you don't deal with it". If that sort of attitude is not arrogance then i don't know what is. It's not like Pakistan needs US assistance, it already has 90,000 troops in thaty region dealing with the problem. Musharraf is a military dictator, but he's co-operated fully with the international community on terorism since 9/11. And if you think the US carrying out airstrikes inside Pakistan, or any other unstable nation in that region to take out a few terrorists is going to solve anything, then you are quite naive. If anything, it will just increase the hatred of America. The problem with Obama and others in America is that they think quick-fix solutions with guns, bombs and planes will eradicate terrorism. This false mindset achieves nothing other than inflaming and aggravating the situation.
In Arsene we trust!!

PlymSpotter

Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:03 am

Quoting Emirates773ER (Reply 20):
moved

May I suggest continuing this in "Jews vs Arabs" on that certain other well know forum...  silly 

On Tancredo, well, wow - it must take a special kind of idiot to say something that stupid! It's clear that this man is not fit for office; to even make such a threat to the Arab world is simply idiotic, after all it's bound to stir up anti American sentiments. Ever wonder why so many countries hate America with a passion? Well, it's not down to most of you, its just the small minority who have a similar mindset to this excellent example of a leader in the making...  Yeah sure

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

NoUFO

Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:19 am

Now, if the thread-starter allows, here's a question for you Muslim fellow a.netters:

Mecca (and Saudi Arabia in its entirety) has been ruled by Wahabites for almost a century. Wahabites are radically opposed to any form of idolatry. It was a group of Wahabites that occupied Mecca's Grand Mosque in 1979 in an attempt to remove the Saud family from power and to introduce the Sharia in its most pristine form. They used weapons inside the Mosque to keep hostages and over the following weeks, the Mosque, if not even the Kaaba, was damaged.

Wahabites, in their fear for everything that smells like idolatry, have not only systematically destroyed historic boroughs of Mecca and Medina, but also mosques almost as old as Islam and other memorials to the religion of Islam. At the same time they allowed 5* hotels to sprout out of the immediate proximity of the Grand Mosque.

I believe for Muslims, the Kaaba is the most holy memorial to Islam, a building around which every faithful Muslim has to perform the ritual circumambulation . But if Wahabites are so eager to destroy monuments and buildings to prohibit idolatry, what's their actual stance on the existence of the Kaaba?

HAWK21M

Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:09 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):
Well, it's a deterrent. Who knows, it might work

Striking Religious places can be a trigger for a newer ending Hatred.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Emirates773ER

Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:18 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 25):
May I suggest continuing this in "Jews vs Arabs" on that certain other well know forum...

Sorry I did not mean to deviate off topic.

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 26):
It was a group of Wahabites that occupied Mecca's Grand Mosque in 1979 in an attempt to remove the Saud family from power and to introduce the Sharia in its most pristine form.

Actually the reason for their occupation had nothing to do with sharia laws (which have always been impelmented in Saudi Arabia). The problem the rebels had was with the Saud family inviting foreigners into the country, they believed the Saud family to be corrupt and greedy.

They used weapons inside the Mosque to keep hostages and over the following weeks

They actually killed one of the security guards in Mecca before taking over the grand mosque. Killings in the Mecca and Medina are strictly prohibited in Islam, one of the reasons why the rebels never got support from the muslim world.

the Mosque, if not even the Kaaba, was damaged.

The mosque and the Kabaa were never damaged during the seige.

Wahabites, in their fear for everything that smells like idolatry, have not only systematically destroyed historic boroughs of Mecca and Medina, but also mosques almost as old as Islam and other memorials to the religion of Islam.

I have never heard about any such thing, could you bring some proof?

At the same time they allowed 5* hotels to sprout out of the immediate proximity of the Grand Mosque.

When you have a more than a billion people to cater too, hotels become a neccesity.

I believe for Muslims, the Kaaba is the most holy memorial to Islam, a building around which every faithful Muslim has to perform the ritual circumambulation . But if Wahabites are so eager to destroy monuments and buildings to prohibit idolatry, what's their actual stance on the existence of the Kaaba?

I think you are getting confused here. Wahabbis are against:

Listening to hymns in praise of Muhammad
Praying to God while visiting tombs (praying near Muhammad's tomb is also considered polytheism by the Wahhabis)
Blindly following any madhhabs (schools of thought) of Islamic jurisprudence in their legal expertise
Using non-literal explanations of God's attributes exclusively in preference to literal explanations.
Celebrating the milad (birthday of Muhammad )
Supposed or actual innovations (bid'ah) in matters of religion

Why would they have a negative stance on the Kabaa?

PlymSpotter

Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:28 am

Quoting Emirates773ER (Reply 28):
Sorry I did not mean to deviate off topic.

No worries - I was only kidding  Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

PC12Fan

Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:19 pm

Quoting VC10BOAC (Reply 22):
Actually I stopped listening to this idiot after he said in one of the debates that if he becomes president he wull push to ban not just illegal immigration but also bar any LEGAL immigrants from entering the USA because there are already enough.

Yea, especially since practically all of us are descendants of Native Americans.  sarcastic  What a boob.
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

ME AVN FAN

Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:55 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 17):
--
You mean that city that Muslims didn't really care about until the Jews moved back into the neighborhood?

-
I mean the city which was the defacto-Capital of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, the major touristic asset of Jordan, and the base of the most important publishing houses of Jordan, plus the seat of the most important university of Jordan until 1967. And ALL Muslims cared about the Dome of the Rocks. Much to the dismay of many Palestinians, the taking control of the Haram al-Sharif by the Israelis was the aspect which really troubled people.
-
In short, you got something COMPLETELY wrong in this here !!
-
-

Quoting Emirates773ER (Reply 23):
The fact that such a thought seems remotely justifiable to you is sickening to say the least.

-
the fact that such thoughts have turned up repeatedly in discussion-forums over the past few years is the really frightening aspect !-
-

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 25):
moved

May I suggest continuing this in "Jews vs Arabs" on that certain other well know forum...

-
i fear that Mr Tancredo and "JCS17" feal so heavily above that "other well known forum" that they both will stay with "known forums" as long as they are not banned for "life twice" by ANC.... or whomever !!  rotfl   rotfl 
-

Now, if the thread-starter allows, here's a question for you Muslim fellow a.netters:
--
Mecca (and Saudi Arabia in its entirety) has been ruled by Wahabites for almost a century. Wahabites are radically opposed to any form of idolatry. It was a group of Wahabites that occupied Mecca's Grand Mosque in 1979 in an attempt to remove the Saud family from power and to introduce the Sharia in its most pristine form. They used weapons inside the Mosque to keep hostages and over the following weeks, the Mosque, if not even the Kaaba, was damaged.
--
Wahabites, in their fear for everything that smells like idolatry, have not only systematically destroyed historic boroughs of Mecca and Medina, but also mosques almost as old as Islam and other memorials to the religion of Islam. At the same time they allowed 5* hotels to sprout out of the immediate proximity of the Grand Mosque.
--

-
The Wahhabites are a radical sect out of a strict "school" of Sunni Islam. Emir Faisal (the later King) conquered the Hedjaz on behalf of his father, king Abdul-Aziz bin Abdurrahman al-Sa'ud in a tremendous conquest which lead the Asir province of Yemen (home area of the BinLadn family) to become Saudi. The Wahhabites, followers of AbdulWahhab, who in conjunction with Emir Mohammed al-Sa'ud established what later became Saudi Arabia, in strict theological terms oppose many aspects of Mekkah and so do not care much about things in the "proximity" of the Grand Mosque, mostly built up either by the Turks or by the Hashemites who, represented by the Grand sherif, ruled there up to the Saudi Conquest.
-
The Ka'aba in theological terms, is not even recognized by the Wahhabites. Even if they would never acknowledge such a suggestion ! -
-

they believed the Saud family to be corrupt and greedy.

-
ehhhhhmmmm, "believed" ???  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin
-

NoUFO

Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:07 am

Actually the reason for their occupation had nothing to do with sharia laws (which have always been impelmented in Saudi Arabia).

Not in the way the criminals wanted to see the Sharia implemented.

Wahabites, in their fear for everything that smells like idolatry, have not only systematically destroyed historic boroughs of Mecca and Medina, but also mosques almost as old as Islam and other memorials to the religion of Islam.

I have never heard about any such thing, could you bring some proof?

http://www.rense.com/general67/mecca.htm (published in The Independend)
http://www.spiegeltvdistribution.com...t/8BB51E42B4F6FD48C12571100060399E (Spiegel TV)

I think you are getting confused here. Wahabbis are against:

I probably didn't make myself clear, but I don't think I confused anything.

Why would they have a negative stance on the Kabaa?

I have the feeling, you have answered your own question: "(they are opposed to) Praying to God while visiting tombs". The Kaaba is basically a house or a room, and the ritual circumambulation could be seen as idolatry. Plus, in the opinion of many Muslims, the space between the actual Kaaba and the Hatim bears the graves of Ishmael, one of the prophetes of the Islamic religion.

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 31):
The Ka'aba in theological terms, is not even recognized by the Wahhabites. Even if they would never acknowledge such a suggestion !

Ah, I see. Thank you.

flyingbabydoc

Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:33 pm

I mean the city which was the defacto-Capital of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, the major touristic asset of Jordan, and the base of the most important publishing houses of Jordan, plus the seat of the most important university of Jordan until 1967.

No, you mean the city which was by right and de facto de capital of the Kingdom of Israel, founded on the 4th century BC by West Semitic people with organized settlements from around 2600 BC (according to tradition the city was founded by Shem and Eber, ancestors of Abraham), later captured by King David. Today capital and largest city of ISRAEL, a sovereign country according to the United Nations, the holiest city in Judaism and the spiritual center of the Jewish people since the 10th century BC.

That Jerusalem.

Alex
Marriage is the art of turning a lover into a relative

AirportSeven

Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:43 pm

The State Department called Tancredo's idea "absolutely crazy". "Let me just say that it is absolutely outrageous and reprehensible for anyone to suggest attacks on holy sites -- whether they are Muslim, Christian, Jewish or those of any other religion," said Tom Casey, a department spokesman.

When somebody from the Bush administration calls your ideas crazy and reprehensible, it is time to chill the eff out.

zak

Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:08 pm

brilliant. my respect for the republican community is growing to new heights.
10=2

ME AVN FAN

Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:10 pm

Quoting Flyingbabydoc (Reply 33):
capital of

you here talk about WEST-Jerusalem, while I mentioned EAST-Jerusalem including the Haram-al-Sharif. As I want to see the Wailing-Wall be part of Israel and the Haram-al-Sharif part of Palestine, while being fully aware that we here speak about a few meters, it is obvious that some difficult but necessary compromises are to be arranged. And to revert to an earlier point, it is the Haram-al-Sharif for which other Arabs / other Muslims DID care. Dividwed cities of the Berlin-Nicosia way is something the world can do well without, so that a more intelligent solution ought to be found.
-

Shem and eber, ancestors of Abraham

-
Ibrahim also is Arab, so that Shem and Eber are Arab as well, just as Jewish

founded on the 4th century BC

-
What if the Capitals and the countries and the rulerships of the 4th century BC would get re-established. Most of Germany would become part of a "Greater-Italy" again, for example.
-

Quoting AirportSeven (Reply 34):
"Let me just say that it is absolutely outrageous and reprehensible for anyone to suggest attacks on holy sites -- whether they are Muslim, Christian, Jewish or those of any other religion,"

-
words of wisdom indeed ! --- I am impressed !  Big grin  Yeah sure
-

ltbewr

Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:23 pm

This idiot is a sitting Congress member and an announced candidate to run for the nomination for President in the Republican Party. He was somehow allowed to appear in a 'debate' Sunday which was shown live on the ABC "This Week'"show with it's host, George Stephenopous as moderator and questioner. Tancredo brought up again his idea to "Nuke Mecca" if a further terror attack by 'Islamic terrorists' in the USA. Every other candidate rejected his idea as totally immoral, unthinkable and unacceptable. In response to another question, he responded that he is a 'born again' Christian - showing an obscene contradiction of his 'faith'. This a-hole should absolutely not be involved further to be considered to run for any public office, not allowed to waste space at any future Republican debate. I think he should be removed from office or at least lose in the next election just for his "Nuke Mecca" comment.

flyingbabydoc

Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:55 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 36):
you here talk about WEST-Jerusalem, while I mentioned EAST-Jerusalem including the Haram-al-Sharif

If you take the religious view, there cannot be a "parting" of Jerusalem. It is the one city, the capital of the Jewish people, the beacon that attract all the Jews in the Diaspora. Of course I can understand the difference and the partition. But I can fully understand why it had to be reunited.

Dividwed cities of the Berlin-Nicosia way is something the world can do well without, so that a more intelligent solution ought to be found.

strangely, we agree. That is the first time!

What if the Capitals and the countries and the rulerships of the 4th century BC would get re-established

Being an italian citizen, I have no problems with that.  Wink
Now seriously, it all goes back to the claim. You said

city which was the defacto-Capital of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, the major touristic asset of Jordan, and the base of the most important publishing houses of Jordan, plus the seat of the most important university of Jordan until 1967

And I replied

the city which was by right and de facto de capital of the Kingdom of Israel, founded on the 4th century BC

which only answered your claim to the ownership of West Jerusalem by Jordan with a much older claim, directly related to the roots of the city. In terms of Religion, you said

And ALL Muslims cared about the Dome of the Rocks

to which I replied

the holiest city in Judaism and the spiritual center of the Jewish people since the 10th century BC.

Again proving that the claim as a site of worship and religion is much more ancient from the Jewish side.

Going back to the subject of the thread, I wonder how callous can someone be to achieve a sense of "justice" by deliberately killing thousands of innocent on their pilgrimage site, just as a retribution for acts that dysfunctional members of extremist groups have committed. I hope this view is not shared by many in the GOP.

Alex
Marriage is the art of turning a lover into a relative

ME AVN FAN

Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:49 am

Quoting Flyingbabydoc (Reply 38):
it all goes back to the claim. You said

city which was the defacto-Capital of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, the major touristic asset of Jordan, and the base of the most important publishing houses of Jordan, plus the seat of the most important university of Jordan until 1967

And I replied

Oh so sorry, I of course meant EAST Jerusalem, as West Jerusalem never was part of Jordan.
-

Flighty

Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:30 am

If we bomb Mecca it would be like shooting ourselves in the face. Hardly a threat to anyone except ourselves.

falstaff

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:46 pm

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 4):
for destroying our "religious mecca in the free world" which is the WTC.The WTC was our religious symbol of strenght

The WTC was no religious symbol. For those that think only of trade and money as religion I feel very sorry for you.  pray 

Quoting Flighty (Reply 40):
If we bomb Mecca it would be like shooting ourselves in the face. Hardly a threat to anyone except ourselves

I am not a follower of Islam, but I wouldn't want to tempt fate by blowing up a holy place of any kind....
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

BigTom

Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:10 pm

Someone should nuke Tancredo ....

Thorben

Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:17 pm

Bombing Mecca would only turn those 99.99999 percent of Muslims, that are not radical, into radical Muslims, too.

Even as a "deterrent" this suggestion is useless. Some people would then be willing to attack the US, in order to see this retaliation, in order to escalate things even further.
France 1789; Eastern Germany 1989; Tunisia 2011; Egypt 2011

Braybuddy

Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:24 pm

This guy is obviously only playing to the gallery, so I wouldn't take him seriously. Unforutnately, it's fools like this who grab world headlines.

HAWK21M

Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:42 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 44):
Unforutnately, it's fools like this who grab world headlines.

Blame the media.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

ME AVN FAN

Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:45 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 45):
Blame the media.

I would defend the media and blame the politicians. I suppose, the man lacks real substance, and need some "action" to make some impression on his home clientele

yowza

Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:58 am

I don't ever expect very much from politicians but this is just ridiculous. There can not seriously be anybody who genuinely believes that bombing Mecca and/or Medina could be a productive exercise.

YOWza