PAHS200
Topic Author

Where Should I Move To

Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:39 am

My 17th birthday is on 8/26  birthday  and I thought i should get a jump start on moving out of the USA i was thinking

Germany
Ireland
Denmark

I been to all 3 and love them all... I heard it hard to become a citizen of Germany. is that still true today?

michael

NWA742

RE: Where Should I Move To

Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:03 am

Quoting PAHS200 (Thread starter):
My 17th birthday is on 8/26 and I thought i should get a jump start on moving out of the USA

You're only going to be 17 - why the inclination to move out of the US? Did you grow up here?

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

tz757300

Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:04 am

Lets me ask you this...

Do you have a nice chunk of change for this move out? I know 17 yrs olds usually don't have enough money laying around to just move out, let alone out of the country.

What wrong with living in the good ole USA?

You know you can't really move out until youre 18 right?

Aaron747

Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:05 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 1):
why the inclination to move out of the US?

Because broadening horizons abroad is one of life's most rewarding and challenging endeavors.

I recommend living in Asia, but that's just me.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

tz757300

Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:09 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 3):
Because broadening horizons abroad is one of life's most rewarding and challenging endeavors.

You can do that without moving out of the US you know, its called traveling. The US is diverse enough that if he didn't like one area, there is another that he could to move to and feel completely different.

PlymSpotter

Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:11 am

Don't be too keen on upping sticks and moving to another country if you have only visited it once or twice. It's an awful lot of cost and hassle to go to and I can tell you that you'll soon start missing those touches of home very soon, especially at your age. Travel around a bit first, go out and really see the world, all of it preferably, before deciding where you want to move to.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

sw733

Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:11 am

Why move someplace so hard and expensive? And by hard I mean to get a job...you know, you're gonna need to have one of those, right. Every time I hear someone wanting to move to western Europe, I think of the wise man himself, Tony Soprano, said when his daughter wanted to move to France..."eventually she's gonna realize you need a work permit and the French hold onto those like their balls."

That's a good point, but I think he might be better off getting a degree first and using that knowledge to broaden the horizons by moving out of the country.

PAHS200, this is the thing...those places - Germany, Ireland, Denmark - aren't all that different from the USA...none of western Europe is. Sure their money may be a little different and their languages may be a little different, but in reality, they aren't a HUGE culture shock like they used to be. If you really, truly want to broaden your horizons, move someplace else...eastern Europe, South Africa, India, and as Aaron747 suggested, Asia.

PAHS200
Topic Author

Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:20 am

Did you grow up here?

yes

why the inclination to move out of the US

see other areas

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 2):
Do you have a nice chunk of change for this move out

nope

a lot

You know you can't really move out until youre 18 right?

can't get too early of ahead start

ecause broadening horizons abroad is one of life's most rewarding and challenging endeavors.

checkmark 

thanks for the help guys.. after reading the posts and doing some research I think I'll wait a little and explore the USA a little

thanks for the help

michael

tz757300

Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:21 am

Quoting PAHS200 (Reply 7):
a lot

Since you brought it up, I do want to know what you think is so wrong with the US that you have to move out.

So, whats wrong?

NWA742

Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:32 am

Because broadening horizons abroad is one of life's most rewarding and challenging endeavors

You can broaden your horizons without moving away from your home country at 17.

see other areas

Uh.......you do realize that there is a HUGE difference between seeing new places and living in new places, correct?

a lot

Like?

thanks for the help guys.. after reading the posts and doing some research I think I'll wait a little and explore the USA a little

That's a light speed quick change in life plans - very hinting that you're not ready for anything like this. Graduate, get a degree, or at least get some income to back whatever plans you make. Make sure to do that first.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

sw733

Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:38 am

a lot

Oh jeez...there is a lot wrong with a LOT of countries. Trust me, I love Namibia, but the USA is a pretty damned good place. I am lucky enough that I grew up to American parents and as an American citizen in Namibia, and always had the ability to visit the USA, usually 2-4 times a year. I still want to live in Namibia for my life, because I love it and it's home, but the USA is a great place. Study up on international politics, international comparative economy, domestic economy of the places you want to move to, and other real matters and you'll see they all have their own pro's and con's.

LAXspotter

Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:42 am

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 8):
Since you brought it up, I do want to know what you think is so wrong with the US that you have to move out.

So, whats wrong?

Dont see whats wrong with the USA either. Its easy to get a job as opposed to many countries in Europe, you wont be an "outsider". Cost of living in Europe is higher than probably where you live now. I wouldnt think about moving out of the USA.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

davestanKSAN

Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:46 am

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 4):
You can do that without moving out of the US you know, its called traveling. The US is diverse enough that if he didn't like one area, there is another that he could to move to and feel completely different.

Not really. Geographically speaking, yes. But culturally, not so much. The US isn't the center of the universe you know. It helps to get an understanding of how other cultures live. I agree he wouldn't have to live in a place for an extended time, but living somewhere, say, for a month, can really help you understand how the world works.

Just because the guy wants to broaden his horizons doesn't mean he hates the USA. Me thinks this thread will have a lot of folks who need to proclaim their patriotism at the top of their lungs....

Dave

[Edited 2007-08-06 02:46:45]
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

sw733

Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:49 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 11):
I wouldnt think about moving out of the USA.

Yeah I would say go to college and study abroad for a semester to see if you even like it...just because you like to travel somewhere doesn't mean you'd like to live there.

LAXspotter

Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:54 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 9):
That's a light speed quick change in life plans - very hinting that you're not ready for anything like this.

Exactly, I really dont think this guy can do what he wants, he is 17 and I think his parents still have custody over him. Best advice is to get some money, and have a plan. What is so bad about the US that you wanna move immediately? I understand the need to learn about other cultures and societies, but that could be done on short trip, you wouldnt really have to move over there? The costs of moving from the USA to Europe could be very high. Lemme just talk from experience tho, that I have an Ethiopian friend who lived in Frankfurt, and this is what he had to say. He lives in LA now, and he he says that Germany is much cleaner, infrastructure better, but for an immigrant, life is hard. Job's according to him are reserved for German's first and there is a lot of "racism" according to him. He's says in LA, people dont really care about his race, but in Germany's it was an issue. He had many instances of German's coming up to him and asking him to leave "their" country. This is just one country, but he says he had many family members living around Europe and they were all trying to get over to the USA, to put it simply Jobs are easily available here.

tz757300

Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:59 am

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 12):
The US isn't the center of the universe you know.

Ummm...duh?

Just because the guy wants to broaden his horizons doesn't mean he hates the USA.

Well when he says there is a lot wrong with the US and asks about how hard it is to become a citizen somewhere else, he must dislike it somehow.

. Me thinks this thread will have a lot of folks who need to proclaim their patriotism at the top of their lungs....

Probably, but I just want to know why he would want to leave so badly after turning 17, I mean, this place isn't as different than any other western country.

I agree he wouldn't have to live in a place for an extended time, but living somewhere, say, for a month, can really help you understand how the world works.

But he wants out for good, that there lays out the problem.

LAXspotter

Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:03 am

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 15):
But he wants out for good, that there lays out the problem

I mean, this place isn't as different than any other western country.

Seriously, the USA isnt shitty at all, there is a lot of opportunity to get ahead. Go to a country check it out, see how day to day life is, then make a decision. After all, isnt this "your" country, and I dont think you will feel at home if the country you go to isnt something that you will really enjoy. I moved over here almost eight years ago, and there is no way Im moving back from here.

sw733

Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:06 am

To answer a real thread starter topic...

I heard it hard to become a citizen of Germany. is that still true today?

Not that long ago, I believe it took 25 years to become a citizen. Now it's 8, IIRC, or 3 with marriage to a German citizen (think Heidi Klum, but younger and not as worn out...giggity giggity goo)

davestanKSAN

Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:08 am

Ummm...duh?

Haha, sorry for my captain obvious post, you know some people think it is.

Well when he says there is a lot wrong with the US and asks about how hard it is to become a citizen somewhere else, he must dislike it somehow.

Perhaps, but the opening post is pretty vague. He might just be anxious to get out and see the world.

Probably, but I just want to know why he would want to leave so badly after turning 17, I mean, this place isn't as different than any other western country.

Well, how would he know that if he didn't go see them??

But he wants out for good, that there lays out the problem.

This is splitting hairs on my part, sorry about that but nowhere did he say he didn't want to come back.

Actually after thinking about it, I'd agree with SW733 here:

Quoting SW733 (Reply 13):
Yeah I would say go to college and study abroad for a semester to see if you even like it...just because you like to travel somewhere doesn't mean you'd like to live there

Go to college in the US and study abroad. My sister lived in South Africa for a semester, and that's probably been one of the most influental things on her life that she's done.

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

tz757300

Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:12 am

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 18):
sorry about that but nowhere did he say he didn't want to come back.

Well, I would suspect putting the time and money to leave and become a citizen of another country, that you wouldn't want to ask for your citizenship back.

sw733

Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:15 am

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 19):
Well, I would suspect putting the time and money to leave and become a citizen of another country, that you wouldn't want to ask for your citizenship back.

Why not be dual? Nothing wrong with that.

flymia

Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:16 am

My 17th birthday is on 8/26 and I thought i should get a jump start on moving out of the USA i was thinking

Um and why do you want to move out of the USA? There is nothing wrong with other countries of course but why would a 17 year old want to move out of the US?

Good idea.  
I know college is not for everyone but are you not planning on going?

[Edited 2007-08-06 03:17:35]
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

tz757300

Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:17 am

Quoting SW733 (Reply 20):

I thought that if you are already a US citizen, that you can't be a dual citizen unless you fall under some set of circumstances. Like, either you're here fully or get out type of thing.

sw733

Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:25 am

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 22):
I thought that if you are already a US citizen, that you can't be a dual citizen unless you fall under some set of circumstances. Like, either you're here fully or get out type of thing.

Not that I know of. I thought that if you followed all the rules of another country and gained citizenship and both countries allow for dual citizenship, no problem. I could be wrong, I was down a dual, so I am no expert.

NoUFO

Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:38 am

I think what you should do is spend a year abroad and study in Dublin or at an international university in Denmark or Germany. You'll notice that the grass which now seems so fresh and green pales quickly as soon as you actually move over here. You'd have enough time to learn the language and reconsider your decision if need be.
I support the right to arm bears

Boeing744

Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:11 pm

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 4):
The US is diverse enough that if he didn't like one area, there is another that he could to move to and feel completely different.
Um, sorry, but no...

The US is a great country, no question, but it is in no way as diverse as if you were to go to Europe, where you can go 100 kilometres and find yourself in a totally different world (i.e. West-Eastern Europe, Europe-North Africa). There is no way people can properly learn about other cultures, countries and histories without leaving one's home country.

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 21):
Um and why do you want to move out of the USA? There is nothing wrong with other countries of course but why would a 17 year old want to move out of the US?
Heck, if he can do it financially, why not? I moved out of Canada alone when I was 15 and 16 for 6 months (on an exchange, just recently returned) and absolutely loved it. People should do things like that when they are still young. It's much easier to learn a new language, and young people have more energy to be able to see and do everything in a tourist's sense.

EDIT: If you want, we'll welcome you up here in Canada! Big grin
Admittedly though, we're not too different than you guys culturally.
[Edited 2007-08-06 06:14:33]

[Edited 2007-08-06 06:18:55]

asuflyer05

Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:49 pm

PAHS200, my suggestion is to base yourself from your parents house and do some traveling while you live rent free. Someone suggested going to college and studying abroad which is an excellent idea. You may also want to consider working for an airline for a year and non-reving a bit.

ordryan28

Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:59 pm

PAHS200, I honestly don't get where you're coming from. It's a lot of people's dream to move to the US, and you want out- at 17. You obviously haven't given much thought to your future. I would advise going to college here, getting a degree, and seeing what doors open up for you with that degree. If you still don't "like" it here, or you don't think you're going to be successful here, then think about leaving. Dude, why would you leave this place during your prime?
Whoever said winning is not everything never fought cancer.

LAXspotter

Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:09 pm

Quoting ORDRyan28 (Reply 27):
PAHS200, I honestly don't get where you're coming from. It's a lot of people's dream to move to the US, and you want out- at 17. You obviously haven't given much thought to your future.

Quoting ORDRyan28 (Reply 27):
would advise going to college here, getting a degree, and seeing what doors open up for you with that degree.

Best advice, see what happens after you get some type of certification or degree, many paths will open up, give it some time.

flymia

Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:15 am

Quoting Boeing744 (Reply 25):
The US is a great country, no question, but it is in no way as diverse as if you were to go to Europe, where you can go 100 kilometres and find yourself in a totally different world (i.e. West-Eastern Europe, Europe-North Africa). There is no way people can properly learn about other cultures, countries and histories without leaving one's home country.

Go to Miami or NYC and you can enter different worlds in a few miles  Wink

But really that is true, Europe does have that which no other part of the world can offer something like that. I love traveling and Europe is my favourite place to visit. I always thought that I might myself move to Europe one day maybe, but not at 17. I am planning on going to university and spending a few months in a study abroad program first.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

kmh1956

Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:32 am

OMG, you're not 17 yet and you want to move out of the US? This may sound harsh, but you are in no way mentally, emotionally or fiscally ready for such a thing. You may consider yourself very mature (for your age), but you'll need a job....money to tide you over for rent, food, utilities etc until you find said job....and who the heck is going to rent to someone so young?

As far as work is concerned....go to college...get your degree and maybe into a work/study program which will give you a taste of what it would be like to live and work overseas before making such a rash decision.

Sounds to me as though you and your parents aren't seeing eye-to-eye on things. You won't on certain things....besides, you're still a minor. Enjoy your youth...it's the shortest time of your life. Enjoy your parents (they won't be around forever) and make use of the lessons they've tried to teach you.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

AirPacific747

Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:49 am

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 30):
OMG, you're not 17 yet and you want to move out of the US? This may sound harsh, but you are in no way mentally, emotionally or fiscally ready for such a thing.

Very true... When I was 16 I wanted to move to the US (plus my girlfriend at the time was American), now that I'm 20, and after I have lived for 8 months in Canada, I've started to like my home, Denmark, more than I used to.

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 24):
I think what you should do is spend a year abroad and study in Dublin or at an international university in Denmark or Germany. You'll notice that the grass which now seems so fresh and green pales quickly as soon as you actually move over here. You'd have enough time to learn the language and reconsider your decision if need be.

Exactly...

sw733

Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:51 am

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 29):
But really that is true, Europe does have that which no other part of the world can offer something like that.

I politely disagree. Europe is fantastic, each country is a different culture for the most part...but in Africa, you don't even have to leave the country and you can run into tons of different cultures, languages, histories and traditions. Heck, just in my little corner of Africa, you can experience the cultures of Ovambos, Europeans (Afrikaaners, Germans, some Brits, my little American family), Kavangos, Hereros, Damaras, Namas, Caprivians, Bushmen, Basters, Tswanas, and many many more. To my south, in South Africa, there is a country that is second only to India for the number of official languages - 11 - and that's not even close to covering the true number of languages spoken.

But if you want to experience many cultures in one continent where you will probably be more comfortable and less homesick, yeah, Europe is great!  Smile

ajd1992

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:26 am

Germany
Ireland
Denmark

Good choices, but you're not old enough. They're all fantastic places to visit maybe, but what if it doesn't work out? I've been to Germany 3 times, Denmark 4 times and i agree, they're great. But you're not even an adult yet.

More to the point, German is hard for some people to learn, and if you find German hard, you can forget learning Danish. I think Danish is a Germanic language, but it's incredibly hard.

Many people in Europe (with the exception of Britons....) are bilingual in their home language and English. But unless you can pick up a language easily on the street, I wouldn't move. There's 7 Million Danes - The size of London - and it wouldn't look very good on you if you only spoke English but you were a Danish Citizen.

Doona

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:27 am

I don't know about procedures in other countries, but in Sweden it might be tough to move here without a higher education or a spouse or partner already living here. I'm guessing that many countries in Europe have similar systems, though. In Sweden, you'll have to prove that you have enough money to last you six months before you can get a resident's permit, even though once you get it you'll be eligible for our entire welfare system, health care, dental, the whole deal. Unless you have a truckload of cash already, a college degree will give the authorities better confidence that you'll be able to get by on your own (higher paying job, etc), given the relatively high cost of living.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

AirPacific747

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:29 am

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 33):
There's 7 Million Danes

I'd say it's more like 5,45 million Danes, but I'm not totally sure...

ajd1992

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:35 am

I'm not entirely sure - When i visit Denmark my family stay with a Danish family and i'm only relaying what they've said. Even so... it's a tiny population!

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:15 am

Quote:

a lot

What have you done to try to change or fix it then?

Quoting SW733 (Reply 20):

Can you become a citizen of another country without first denouncing your citizenship of another? I thought the only way to have dual citizenship was to be born with it. EG: I have a cousin who was born in the Azores at Lages AFB. She currently holds both Portuguese and US Citizenship but I think once she hits 18, she'll have to declare which country she wants to remain a citizen of.

Maybe it works differently in other countries though.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

AirPacific747

Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:35 am

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 36):
I'm not entirely sure - When i visit Denmark my family stay with a Danish family and i'm only relaying what they've said. Even so... it's a tiny population!

Okay.. well I just checked the world factbook from the CIA..

5,468,120 (July 2007 est.)

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/da.html

I'm glad you like Denmark! I like England too!  Smile

Superfly

Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:58 am

No need to beat up on PAHS200.
Kudos to him for wanting to try something as ambitious as living in another country at a young age. It’s much better than staying at home in his parents basement like many around here do well in to there adult years. PAHS200 won’t be 17 forever and probably won’t make the move for another couple of years realistically.
Perhaps the best thing he can do is go off to a 4-year university here in the USA and participate in an exchange student program. It’s MUCH cheaper that way and easier to find a place to live and you’ll be around other like-minded adventurous people.
I wish I had participated in an exchange student program when I was in college.

Best of PAHS200 and don’t listen to the naysayers here that have nothing going for themselves.
Bring back the Concorde

sw733

Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:01 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 39):
naysayers here that have nothing going for themselves.

How do you reckon?

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 37):
Can you become a citizen of another country without first denouncing your citizenship of another?

I always thought so but, yeah, I could be wrong...I was born dual so I never really had to worry about it. I am allowed to keep both for life, though eventually I may give up my US citizenship if I want to run for office in Namibia, which I would LOVE to do someday (nothing big, but something meaningful)

Superfly

Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:14 am

Quoting SW733 (Reply 40):
How do you reckon?

Those that sit around and knock other people's ideas and ambitions are usually jealous that they never thought of challenging themselves and broadening their own horizons. We all know PAHS200 aint moving anywhere until he is over 18, done with high school and possibly 1 year of college. At least he is thinking about it and probably collecting ideas from others here at this site, since this is an international forum with many members in his desired countries and possibly a few exchange students or expats in the forums. No need to argue with him as to why he wants to move. He'll figure out on his own if he made the right decision or not.
Bring back the Concorde

sw733

Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:18 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 41):
Those that sit around and knock other people's ideas and ambitions are usually jealous that they never thought of challenging themselves and broadening their own horizons

I don't think so...I think we're just realistic. I've lived in a few different countries, am a dual citizen, and still think it's a bad idea to just blindly up and move without any job or finances lined up. I'm all for him moving out eventually and seeing the world, but I think he needs to put some SERIOUS SERIOUS thought into it and have some fall back plan and at least something that can get him a decent job, which he'll need to live at the level he will want to.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 41):
He'll figure out on his own if he made the right decision or not.

Yes, but that can be just as bad of a thing as it can be a good thing. It could have some serious consequences. May sounds ridiculous, but what if he gets over there, doesn't get a good job, but needs to spend all the money it requires to live in Germany or Ireland or Denmark?...debt could result, and be a monkey on his back for a while.

But I do like your signature...words I myself live by  Wink

Superfly

Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:26 am

SW733:
I think we're both saying the same thing. I doubt he's just going to hop on the next Lufthansa or SAS flight out. I am sure he will do most of his homework prior to his move. If he goes off to college and do the exchange student program as I suggested, it would be much easier for him to make that move across the Atlantic.
Bring back the Concorde

aerobalance

Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:27 am

Move to Northern Italy
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

sw733

Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:28 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 43):
SW733:
I think we're both saying the same thing. I doubt he's just going to hop on the next Lufthansa or SAS flight out. I am sure he will do most of his homework prior to his move. If he goes off to college and do the exchange student program as I suggested, it would be much easier for him to make that move across the Atlantic.

Agreed

Quoting Superfly (Reply 43):
I doubt he's just going to hop on the next Lufthansa

Of course not...he'd get one foot on LH and run off  duck 

MKEdude

Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:57 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 39):
No need to beat up on PAHS200.
Kudos to him for wanting to try something as ambitious as living in another country at a young age. It’s much better than staying at home in his parents basement like many around here do well in to there adult years. PAHS200 won’t be 17 forever and probably won’t make the move for another couple of years realistically.
Perhaps the best thing he can do is go off to a 4-year university here in the USA and participate in an exchange student program. It’s MUCH cheaper that way and easier to find a place to live and you’ll be around other like-minded adventurous people.
I wish I had participated in an exchange student program when I was in college.

Best of PAHS200 and don’t listen to the naysayers here that have nothing going for themselves.

Pretty much what I came here to say.

Look, at 17 your options are pretty limited but you can start thinking and preparing. Think about taking a year off after high school, or perhaps going to college in another country, plus you can always do a semester overseas or something of the like. After college you can take the english-teaching route. And I supported myself for almost a year moving from hostel to hostel doing odd jobs and bartending. (definitely learn how to bartend it is a skill that can get you work virtually anywhere around the globe)

I lived overseas both as a child and as an adult and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. It gave me a broader view of the world around me and made me a wiser more complete person. Most of all don't listen to anybody who chastises you for thinking beyond American shores. It is a shame that there are so many people in our society who look at passport ownership as a character flaw. There are many other places in the world that encourage people of your age group to get out and experience the world, and I think that is a generally healthy attitude. In my travels I met so many Kiwis that when I eventually went to New Zealand itself I half expected to find it empty. (Instead it was full of Brits! Hi Jafa!)

Whatever you decide put college in your plans. A degree will make you much more marketable either here in the U.S. or elsewhere. The fact that your thinking about this now means that you not only have the time to put a plan in place, but will also have ample time to enjoy it. Good luck!
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

davestanKSAN

Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:53 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 37):
What have you done to try to change or fix it then?

You mean posting on A.net isn't enough?? Damn you Johan....

Dave