AsstChiefMark
Topic Author

What's Your State Fair Like?

Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:45 pm

I've never been to the Wisconsin State Fair. It's too damned far away. Since it's only 32 miles away, I go to the Minnesota State Fair every other year.

Years ago, Machinery Hill was the place where all the farmer types hung out. Everything for moo-cow folks to drool over. Machinery Hill stopped having tractors, balers, milkers, and silos on display about the same time farmers starting using cell phones and GPS.

There's the typical competitions: Garden vegetables, baking, knitting, artwork, etc. That makes me wonder... What kind of competitions do they have at the New Jersey State Fair? I can imagine they have things like freeway concrete mixing, professional gasoline pumping, and highway map reading. Big grin

Anyway.... Here's a clickable map of the Minnesota State Fair.

http://www.mnstatefair.org/MSF_Images/MSF_color_map.jpg
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Superfly

RE: What's Your State Fair Like?

Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:57 pm

AsstChiefMark:
Which county in Minnesota has the largest melons?
Bring back the Concorde

SlamClick

Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:21 am

I am afraid the state fair is an institution on its way out. We took about a ten year hiatus from attending ours after the kids grew up and left home. Went back last year and it was just kind of sad.

90% of the livestock exhibit was just rabbits or chickens. Of cattle, pigs and range maggots (sorry, I meant to say "sheep") only a very few. Crafts, cooking, canning and other homespun arts and skills down to one building. The major activities were the carnival and a tradeshow.

It was smaller than the county fair of my youth. (in a county of about 25000 people) I don't think I'll go back.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

Superfly

Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:36 am

Our state fairgrounds occasionally host rock concerts. Rush played CalExpo back in 1986. That was there last general admissions concert here in the states.
I believe War, Santana and Average White Band has played at our state fair grounds too.
Bring back the Concorde

UPS707

Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:56 am

We go to our state fair every year... and like Superfly said, the concert lineup is normally pretty good. There are a few hasbeens and "Who's that"s, but there's normally a couple good ones thrown into the mix. Our lineup for this year is:

Tesla
Huey Lewis and the News
Daughtry
Temptations Review featuring Dennis Edwards
Lonestar
Jenni Rivera
Third Day
KC & The Sunshine Band
All American Rejects
with special guest Alana Grace
The Commodores
Amy Hanaiali'i Gilliom
Chicago
Weird Al Yankovic

As far as animals go, we get alot of cattle and farm animals and of course the nursery where the kids can see the young ones or even ones being born. Also there are plenty of craft exhibits etc. All in all, it's not a bad day out, and for $8, definately worth the money. Of course that doesn't include the food  Smile

http://www.bigfun.org

SlamClick

Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:13 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 3):
War, Santana and Average White Band has played at our state fair grounds too.

That is one thing I still like about the Reno area. I got to see America and Johnny Rivers free. Free outdoor public concert just as part of a local event. Stuff like that happens all the time. There used to be a great little place that had live music for the price of ordering a drink. Leo Kottke is just one artist that stands out from that place. Gone now: "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" for the Peppermill.

On the other hand if I'd wanted to see Foghat I'd have had to drive out to Fallon and pay admission.

DC10extender

Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:15 am

The Minnesota State Fair is huge. Over 100,000 people go every day during the two weeks it is put on
Did you ever read on your birth certificate that life is fair? Thats cause its not there.

jfktowerfan
Editor

Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:16 am

I don't think CT has a State fair, but we have the greatest fair ever close by...

http://www.thebige.com/
The Eastern States Exposition is always a good. If you have never been to it you are missing out. Food, music, food, stunts shows, food, carnival rides, food, agriculture stuff, food, infomercial junk, food, livestock, food, daily parade, food, petting zoo, food, food, and did I mention food?

Corey
C'mon Man

AsstChiefMark
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:26 am

I remember seeing this a the Texas State Fair when I was 5 years old. Scared the shit out of me. I think it was the evil eyes and voice that sounded like a radio announcer who'd suffered a stroke. And the goddamned thing wouldn't shut up. It just kept yacking and yacking.

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

MCOflyer

Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:55 am

In Nov, the Brevard County fair comes out. I like the rides as you can pretty much ride them over and over gain. But the food sucks except for dessert. The Sea Food festival at Port Caneveral was good the last time. I like California' San Diego Fair wayyy better than Florida, but till I can afford to live in Cali, Florida will do.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

charlienorth

Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:15 am

Minnesota state fair is the best and the change in machinery hill sucks,it gave a good intro to city kids to the cool farm equipment and let the city slickers know how expensive it was to run a farm...pronto pups rock as the all you can drink whole milk,nice beer garden...the WI state fair is a miss,you're better off with Minn state fair.
Work hard fly right..don't understand it

AsstChiefMark
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:39 am

Quoting Charlienorth (Reply 10):
pronto pups rock

The local media says the Minnesota State Fair has the most food "on a stick." I remember there's pork chop on a stick, cheese on a stick, hotdish (that's casserole to the rest of you) on a stick, battered, deep fried corn on the cob on a stick, alligator on a stick, cheesecake on a stick... Oh, to hell with it. Here's a video of the 59 foods on a stick.

MKEdude

Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:27 am

The Wisconsin state fair is closeby. I go every year with a friend and we score mullets on a scale of 1-10
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

mdodd

Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:38 am

I'm from New Jersey.
I don't think we have a state fair :/

charlienorth

Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:21 am

Quoting MKEdude (Reply 12):
The Wisconsin state fair is closeby. I go every year with a friend and we score mullets on a scale of 1-10

checkmark   checkmark 

That and watching the people going through life fat,drunk and stupid

SlamClick

Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:51 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 8):
the evil eyes and voice

Ahh, the memories of an endangered youth. For me it was the demented "Laughing Sal" at San Francisco's Playland at the Beach.

Nightmares about that mad woman!

Superfly

Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:55 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 15):
For me it was the demented "Laughing Sal" at San Francisco's Playland at the Beach.

You were around to experience that?!?!?!?!!?!  Wow!
You are aware that area and Ocean Beach is the original site of Burning Man, right?
It's as if Burning Man is following you.
The center circle of Burning Man is called La Playa which is named after the street at the old Playland Park.
Bring back the Concorde

iowaman

Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:55 am

Iowa state fair in Des Moines starts today (August 9). Usually draws around a million people a year. Looks like there is a fairly decent line-up on the Grandstand.:

Gary Allen
Alice Cooper
Rock N' Roll Reunion XXVIII
Corbin Bleu, Drake Bell, with special guest Jordan Pruitt
Deery Brothers
Dierks Bentley with special guest Chris Cagle
Grand Outlaw National Tractor and Truck Pull
Casting Crowns
Joe Walsh
Switchfoot with special guest Cartel (got front row tickets)
American Idols Live

http://www.iowastatefair.com/

desertjets

Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:05 am

The New York State Fair is still a pretty big deal. Especially in the Syracuse area as that is where it is held.

Last year I went for about 3 hours. Just enough time to enjoy my wine slushie and go home.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

SlamClick

Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:09 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 16):
You were around to experience that?!?!?!?!!?!

Hell yes Flyman! I crossed the Golden Gate Bridge before the paint was even dry.

For those of you not in on that particular joke, they paint it constantly so just about everybody can make the claim.

Yes, I do remember the old Playland. My favorite was the diving bell, but the wooden slides were fun too.

Went to a movie at the old Fox theater at 9th and Market too. We knew it was going to be demolished so I hardly watched the movie (A Dog of Flanders with David Ladd and Donald Crisp) but wandered around looking at the incredible building.

Also remember the Richmond-San Rafael ferry and my older brothers rode the Sausalito-San Francisco ferry before the bridge was completed.

I remember paying $4.50 a night for a room at the Golden State hotel on Powell, which is now the Union Square Hotel and probably costs a bit more than that.

And no, I did not know that about Burning Man. Not the worst thing I've ever had follow me though.  Wow!

Superfly

Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:14 am

SlamClick:
Wow that's cool, you were here in San Fracnsico back when it was really cheap and dirty.  Cool
What years were you here? What neighborhood did you grow up in?
AeroWesty was here during the time I wished I was around (1970s).
Bring back the Concorde

Duff44

Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:18 am

Quoting JFKTOWERFAN (Reply 7):
I don't think CT has a State fair

It doesn't
But there's a cubic-butt-ton of local ones: http://www.ctfairs.org/
I think the Durham fair is the biggest in CT, but I could be wrong... I usually hit up Berlin when I go
("Old Fashioned" Doughnuts, the white trailer right next to the main entrance.... YUMMY)

Quoting JFKTOWERFAN (Reply 7):
The Eastern States Exposition is always a good.

I've had bad luck about that time of year... 3 different times I planned to go, and all three times the death of a relative changed those plans... now I refuse to even think about going, let alone planning it.

(Once is a fluke. THREE times... that's a message)

Quoting Mdodd (Reply 13):
I'm from New Jersey.

http://www.newjerseystatefair.org/
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

mkeflyer717

Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:59 pm

Quoting Charlienorth (Reply 14):
That and watching the people going through life fat,drunk and stupid

hahaha thats funny but true... my friends and I were there yesterday and we said the same thing.

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Thread starter):
I've never been to the Wisconsin State Fair. It's too damned far away

Traitor!!!!!  Wink
seriously though you should try to make a stop there sometime, your missing out especially on the food. I love the fried cheese curds and cream puffs.  Smile
Avoid the Chicago ORDeal!! Fly MKE!

AsstChiefMark
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:05 pm

Quoting Mkeflyer717 (Reply 22):
Traitor!!!!!

Then move the damned thing to a central location (like Wausau) so the people who actually grow the fucking crops can attend and participate.

HAWK21M

Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:44 pm

The best in BOM would be the Traditional Bandra fair.Not as popular as in the old days.Held from the 1st Sunday of the Month of September after the 8th for a week.

http://www.thevoiceinmyhead.com/the-bandra-fair-in-pictures/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lecercle/sets/1090819/

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

beefer

Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:51 pm

Wow, what a surprise to see this thread on here today. I was just thinking this morning as I was driving around that I should start a thread on State Fairs.

I am 37 years old and have attended 36 Minnesota State Fairs. Really pretty good considering I have always lived about 180 miles from MSP. Actually, my Dad is 76 years old and he has only missed something like 7 or 8 State Fairs.

The demise of Machinery Hill is certainly a disappointment for me being that I grew up on a farm and am now a farmer myself. Years ago the State Fair used to get a far greater percentage of its attendees from rural Minnesota. Now the percentages have swung to the favor of the Metro area. FarmFest, which just finished today by Redwood Falls is the place to go if you want to see all the farm stuff. Also, with the size that farm equipment has become, it became to difficult to move all this large equipment into the heart of The Cities to the fairgrounds.

As others have said, the Minnesota State Fair is top notch and I now really enjoy taking my own kids there and passing on my love for this institution to them.

[Edited 2007-08-10 07:54:14]

[Edited 2007-08-10 07:55:14]

johnboy

Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:45 pm

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 19):

Also remember the Richmond-San Rafael ferry and my older brothers rode the Sausalito-San Francisco ferry before the bridge was completed.

I remember paying $4.50 a night for a room at the Golden State hotel on Powell, which is now the Union Square Hotel and probably costs a bit more than that.

Very cool!  bigthumbsup 

I was a little disappointed in the California State Fair....it was more of a Central Valley 4-H livestock show with a few bands and wine gardens thrown in.

However, schmaltzy as it sounds, I liked the exhibits each county in California constructed; some were really elaborate (Solano)....others, not so much (i'm talking about you LA).

The best part was cruising all the cornfed cowhands that came in from the sticks. bigthumbsup 

asuflyer05

Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:57 pm

Arizona has a state fair. Despite being held in the ghetto and bringing the chollos and white trash of the West Valley out in droves, the concert lineup is usually pretty good. This year it includes:
Gretchen Wilson - Oct. 13 • 7pm
"Weird Al" Yankovic Oct. 16 • 7pm
Montgomery Gentry - Oct. 26 • 7pm
Howie Mandel - Oct. 27 • 7pm
Alice Cooper - Oct. 31 • 7pm
CMT on Tour Sugarland with special guests Little Big Town - Nov. 1 • 7pm
Old School Jam - Nov. 2 • 8pm

Featuring:
GQ -
Evelyn “Champagne” King
The Dazz Band
The Friends of Distinction
MC Magic of NB Ridaz featuring Krystal Melody
Amanda Perez
Sophia Maria

Steve Miller Band
Nov. 3 • 7pm

http://www.azstatefair.com/

I'm from New Jersey. I don't think we have a state fair :/

Seaside Heights or Atlantic City, while not a "state fair" are similar.

stlgph

Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:06 am

Pregnant women. Smoking.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

senorcarnival

Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:08 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 8):

Big Tex..I'm digging his Lee shirt..they also get him to say stuff for ABC in commercials during OU - Texas games which are usually scheduled on a Saturday when the fair is going on...I have never been to the Texas State Fair, but I did go to the one in South Carolina when we lived there. I was 12 so I thought that was fun. Although not quite a state fair, I really enjoyed Germanfest when I was in Milwaukee last summer, mostly for the food and for the people watching.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

Continental

Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:46 am

As others have already attested, our state fair here in Minnesota is huge. It's coming very soon and the news stations are already going on and on about it. Actually, all the news stations actually relocate to the state fair and broadcast from there! There's such much food there and it's usually all so good...and on a stick. I really enjoy going either really early in the morning or later in the afternoon. I usually go and get the usual (fried candy bar on a stick, cheese curds, U of M milkshakes, etc.) then walk around the animal barns afterwards. I don't normally spend that much time there just because there's so many people and it's hard to move around!

stlgph

Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:56 am

Quoting Continental (Reply 30):
It's coming very soon and the news stations are already going on and on about it. Actually, all the news stations actually relocate to the state fair and broadcast from there!

ugh. dont remind me of that crap. behind all the "smiles and hey, look at us we're having a good time" ... state fairs are usually a big huge pain in the ass production wise.

af773atmsp

Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:32 am

I've been to the Minnesota Stare Fair 11 or 12 times. My parents usually try to convince me to skip one year, but its a tradition.  Smile Now that my sister is in the parade at the State Fair every year we have to go. Last year I was going on the water ride, but it was closed because of maintenance.  banghead  When we got home from the State Fair the water ride was open, but there was an accident on the ride, so it was closed again.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

charlienorth

Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:56 am

Quoting Stlgph (Reply 28):
Pregnant women. Smoking

you always see some version of trash at a state fair,only makes you appreciate your own family  biggrin 

Quoting Beefer (Reply 25):
Also, with the size that farm equipment has become, it became to difficult to move all this large equipment into the heart of The Cities to the fairgrounds

I was told some time ago that machinery hill went away because the complications you mentioned and the fact it didn't make any difference in the selling of farm equipment,sure do miss it though it is something every city kid should see.

WrenchBender

Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:59 am

"The Greatest Outdoor Show On Earth" is our closest thing to a state fair.

http://cs.calgarystampede.com/fun/photo_gallery.html

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

Superfly

Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:24 am

Quoting Asuflyer05 (Reply 27):
GQ -

G.Q. ?!?!  Wow!
WOW, that is cool!
When I hear their song Disco Nights, I stop what ever I am doing and start dancing.  Smile

Quoting Iowaman (Reply 17):
Alice Cooper
Joe Walsh

..and to think these guys used to sell out major arenas nationwide.
Bring back the Concorde

MKEdude

Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:51 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 23):
Quoting Mkeflyer717 (Reply 22):
Traitor!!!!!

Then move the damned thing to a central location (like Wausau) so the people who actually grow the fucking crops can attend and participate.

(Ohm) If a state fair is held and nobody shows up because it's in the middle of the freakin sticks, did it really happen? (Ohm)  wink 
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

SlamClick

Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:59 am

Quoting Stlgph (Reply 28):
Pregnant women.

Is there supposed to be something wrong with pregnant women?

If so, that is one of the most astonishing examples of bigotry I've ever seen here. Are pregnant women supposed to be so repellent that the mere mention of them tells your story, makes your point?

If that is how you feel you are a wretched, terrible excuse for a shallow, self-loathing human being.

If not, please explain. If there is some additional point, please be a bit more explicit. I think a lot of us on here who had mothers, wives, sisters, daughters who are, or once were pregnant women might like to understand the comment.

stlgph

Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:13 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 37):

You seriously have to be kidding me.

"Pregnant women. Smoking."

Ever heard of a punchline?

mdodd

Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:36 am

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 21):
http://www.newjerseystatefair.org/

Woah, thanks!!

SlamClick

Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:45 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 38):
Ever heard of a punchline?

Of course.

Please stop being obtuse. If that is a punchline I've never heard the joke. Until you can provide some reference it is just bigotry.

stlgph

Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:54 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 40):

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

In the meantime, enjoy some of these nice Steven Wright clips for your ... "entertainment."

Tomorrow you can look forward to some Rita Rudner!

Here's a preview...

AeroWesty

Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:29 am

I've never actually been to the Oregon State Fair. I should go someday. http://www.oregonstatefair.org/

I remember the days of the California State Fair when it was more of an "exposition", where Bell Telephone would come out and have displays on the new touch-tone technology, you could taste-test new food and rate it, and all the counties would have big displays for what they were famous for.

Heh, Playland.

http://www.museemechanique.org/
International Homo of Mystery

SlamClick

Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:45 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 42):
Heh, Playland.

That is a cool museum. I found it on a San Francisco layover a couple of years ago. Walked down to pier 45 to see the Jeremiah O'Brien and ran into "laughing Sal" at the door. Had not seen Sal in nearly fifty years! She is still disturbing.

Maybe permanent exhibits like this are one of the things that erode the State Fairs' appeal.

AeroWesty

Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:49 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 43):
"laughing Sal"

Not to be picayune, but it's "Laffing Sal", and from where I started spelling laughing as laffing eons ago.

Mmmm, now I'm hungry for an It's It.  yummy 

SlamClick

Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:02 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 44):
it's "Laffing Sal",

Funny. I saw that on their website but did not adopt it. I had found the picture by googling it with the conventional spelling. They are the source, however, so "laffing Sal" it is.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 44):
It's It

Smile

Funny because I was just craving a grease & cholesterol omelette at my favorite coffee shop. It is at a motel on Van Ness, somewhere around Broadway. Northwest corner. Roughly across from where Grisson's used to be.

AeroWesty

Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:05 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 45):
Roughly across from where Grisson's used to be.

Hmm, I'm thinking that was a Zim's.

AsstChiefMark
Topic Author

Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:46 am

I'm from New Jersey.

From that Wiki place...

The New Jersey State Fair is a non-profit agricultural fair held every August at the Sussex County Fairgrounds in Augusta, New Jersey. It merged with the Sussex County Farm and Horse Show in 1999 and is a 10 day event that attracts approximately 220,000 attendees every year.

That's a pretty wimpy attendence number considering that you've got 8.7 million folks living in 8700 sq. miles.

Compare that to the Minnesota State Fair. 1.7 million attendees for a state population of 5 million in 87,000 sq. miles.

beefer

Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:12 pm

Just saw on the News that there was quite a bit of damage at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds from Thunderstorms on Friday night.

Part of the Grandstand roof blew off, numerous trees down, some portable food concessions were toppled over, and about 1/2 of the roof of the Ye Old Mill ride was blown off. The Ye Old Mill ride is the oldest ride at the Fair and was built in 1913.

The Fair opens in 12 days so they do have time to clean things up and make repairs. It really would have been a mess if this happened during the Fair.

MCOflyer

Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:38 pm

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 37):

Is there supposed to be something wrong with pregnant women?

No. I'm glad they get out with all the stuff going on.

Mud racing and demolition derby is my favorite.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.