Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

senorcarnival
Topic Author

ITunes Questions (paging Klaus... :)

Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:03 am

So I bought a MacBook today. There was a special offer for college students where you could get a 30GB iPod for $50 so I went for it. So I have 3 questions:
1-I already have an iPod but I would like to be able to hook up this old one to the new laptop and then sync those songs to the new iPod. Is that at all possible or do I have to download all those songs again?
2-I used the old iPod to back up some files so would there be any adverse effect in the music files in there if I hooked it up to the new computer just to retrieve those files, after all this won't be my primary iPod so I don't want the computer thinking it is.
3-I will be probably be giving the old iPod to my girlfriend and I'm pretty sure she has no use for half of Metallica's catalog or most of my music for that matter so is there any way to format an iPod?
Sorry if my questions seem silly but I have never owned a Mac before nor have I ever really understood how iPods and computers work. Thanks for any help!
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

swiftski

RE: ITunes Questions (paging Klaus... :)

Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:45 am

Quoting Senorcarnival (Thread starter):
1-I already have an iPod but I would like to be able to hook up this old one to the new laptop and then sync those songs to the new iPod. Is that at all possible or do I have to download all those songs again?

You can use the "Manualy Manage Music" option to send over the new songs only, without canning your old stuff. Rather though, follow these instructions from apple.com/support on using your iPod to transfer your music between computers. Then Mac format the iPod (in iTunes use the "Restore" iPod, which will empty it and update it's software) and sync your tunes as you used to; automatically; but from your Mac.

2-I used the old iPod to back up some files so would there be any adverse effect in the music files in there if I hooked it up to the new computer just to retrieve those files, after all this won't be my primary iPod so I don't want the computer thinking it is.

Confused by what you mean. If you used the iPod as a hard drive, then Restoring it would delete those files/folders. You'd need to put them somewhere else first, or ensure you still had your primary source acessable.

3-I will be probably be giving the old iPod to my girlfriend and I'm pretty sure she has no use for half of Metallica's catalog or most of my music for that matter so is there any way to format an iPod?

See answer 1 - iTunes -> Restore.

swiftski

Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:46 am

Klaus

Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:55 am

So I bought a MacBook today.

Congratulations!  Smile

The idea is that the iPod always just holds a synchronized copy of the original files which are stored on a computer. If you've got the originals on your PC, it's probably easier to just copy them over from there. I'm not positive about that, but I think you can even copy your iTunes Library (the entire file hierarchy where the music is stored, plus the iTunes folder where iTunes stores its playlists and the other information) over to your new Mac.

There are also unauthorized utilities to extract music files from an iPod, but I wouldn't recommend those unless you've actually lost the originals.

iTunes can recognize multiple iPods at the same time; It should ask you what it's supposed to do with the "new" iPod when you're connecting it for the first time. Choose "manage music manually" and switch off all other synchronizations if you don't want to have it changed.

iTunes would overwrite the music which is already on it with music from that computer if you tell it to synchronize. Which is okay if you remember that an iPod is never intended to hold the original files but just copies of the ones on your computer(s).

You'd also have to tell iTunes that you want to mount the iPod as a external storage device.

3-I will be probably be giving the old iPod to my girlfriend and I'm pretty sure she has no use for half of Metallica's catalog

Really? How could she ever live without it...?

or most of my music for that matter so is there any way to format an iPod?

You can restore the iPod to its factory state in iTunes on the main iPod page.

Sorry if my questions seem silly but I have never owned a Mac before nor have I ever really understood how iPods and computers work.

No problem. I don't remember all the initial stuff exactly either because it's been quite a while since I started using my iPod... And I've never used it under Windows, so others will have more practical experience with that transition.

Speedbirdie

Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:01 am

Ooooh, we have wizzes on iTunes here???
If So I have a question...

Is there ANY way possible that when you put a CD onto iTunes and burn it on, that the tracks are not all split up?
I have a very large Collection going on and its all in order.. The albums are all downloaded from the net and all came as single files but the CDs that I have from the same collection all break up into tracks and therefore I cannot include it in my numerical order collection..
Any Ideas??
Never give up..

ManuCH

Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:03 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 3):
I'm not positive about that, but I think you can even copy your iTunes Library (the entire file hierarchy where the music is stored, plus the iTunes folder where iTunes stores its playlists and the other information) over to your new Mac.

Yes, this works: when I switched from PC to Mac last year, I copied my entire iTunes folder to the Mac. The only thing is that you need to edit the "iTunes Music Library.xml" file manually, and find/replace all the location paths from the old PC location (somewhere in c:Documents and Settingsetc...) to the Mac location (/Users/yourname/Music/iTunes/...). It's not really a drop-and-forget thing, but it can be done... maybe there are programs out there doing it.
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

nudelhirsch

Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:28 pm

I have a huge collection of music, and I know it's terribly annoying, but I transferred from PC to Mac as well, I imported all the songs, erased duplicates, cleaned this and that... It's a good occasion to clean up...

Other than that, I think playlists and stuff can be re-transferred from the iPod as these are just databases, no files attached... AFAIK that should wrk too, just import the library and then extract the playlists (by manually managing) from your iPod...

Speedbirdie, are you talking about the tracks that you want to keep in order (iTunes has a tag fiels where you can modfy the track number on CD) or in what way are you archiving your CDs?
You can also set the burning options to split or not split... Normally when burning a CD t will put a 2 second break in between songs, but with live recordings, you have 10 tracks (i.e.) yet it sounds like one track, no cuts, no nothing... Is that what you mean?
Putana da Seatbeltz!

GAIsweetGAI

Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:02 pm

Another question: how can I convert iTunes music files (.m4a?) into files that can be read with Windows Media Player or Movie Maker?
"There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Speedbirdie

Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:46 pm

Quoting Nudelhirsch (Reply 6):
Speedbirdie, are you talking about the tracks that you want to keep in order (iTunes has a tag fiels where you can modfy the track number on CD) or in what way are you archiving your CDs?
You can also set the burning options to split or not split... Normally when burning a CD t will put a 2 second break in between songs, but with live recordings, you have 10 tracks (i.e.) yet it sounds like one track, no cuts, no nothing... Is that what you mean?

Hmm how can I explain this? I am confusing myself. The albums I am collecting are all the Global Underground Sets. The albums that I have downloaded all come as one file.. i.e Global Underground 012 Buenos Aires and they come as a whole album of around an hour and a bit. However, the CDs that I have, for example Global Underground 031 Paris comes up as 12 seperate songs when I transfer the CD to my PC. Am I making any sense? I would just like the CDs that I have from this collection to go onto my PC as a whole album and not seperate tracks.
I hope this helps?
Never give up..

ManuCH

Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:58 pm

Quoting GAIsweetGAI (Reply 7):
Another question: how can I convert iTunes music files (.m4a?) into files that can be read with Windows Media Player or Movie Maker?

If it's a non-encrypted m4a file, your answer is here: http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/32096

If it's an encrypted m4p file (bought on the iTunes Store), you either have to burn the song on a CD, then re-rip it, or use a program like Audio Hijack.
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

GAIsweetGAI

Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:48 am

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 9):

Wink
"There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."