MCOflyer
Topic Author

Types Of Places You Refuse To Be Employed At.

Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:58 am

The saying " I wouldn't work there even if my life depended on it", applies to this thread Where wouldn't you work? This should get very interesting as we have all types of people on here. Enjoy.

Hunter

[Edited 2007-08-14 00:59:29]
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

fumanchewd

RE: Place You Refuse To Employed At.

Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:01 am

Large resort companies. I was employed by two. The last one was a JW Marriott and I can say that I despise the company and will NEVER recommend it to anyone.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

MCOflyer
Topic Author

RE: Types Of Places You Refuse To Be Employed At.

Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:03 am

Car dealership. While employed, I had them repair my car and my warranty ran out because it sat there for days. I was so pissed when I got a bill for 600.00 for a evaporator and it goes in to get the final touch on Wednesday. Never again will I work for dealership where I bought my car from.

Hunter

aloges

Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:08 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Thread starter):
"I wouldn't work there even if my life depended on it"

I'd never be a hangman, torturer or concentration camp-style "doctor"; basically anything that means I'd have to murder, disfigure or torment others. Other than that, I'd do just about any job if it were the only way to survive. I might rule out Bolivian mines or Bangladeshi sweat shops, but as I'm really in no position to depend on that sort of job, it's a hollow statement.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

pawsleykat

Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:11 am

I would never work in a fast food joint... I'd get too lippy with customers.  rotfl  And I think that's it...

JG
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

rfields5421

Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:16 am

" I wouldn't work there even if my life depended on it",

Anybody would do just about anything - especially if their family's survival depended upon them doing the work.

I've seen enough of the world to not have any illusions anymore about how hard it can be to survive. How much pain there is in watching your children, wife, parents die of starvation, preventable disease or neglect.

That said - there are a lot of jobs I'd have to be pretty despirate before I'd take.
Not all who wander are lost.

graphic

Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:19 am

Food Service i.e. big bog supermarket grocery stores. Did it twice, never again.
Demand Media fails at life

Sabena332

Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:31 am

Where wouldn't you work?

There are many places I wouldn't work at, but the #1 place I would never, ever work at is: Air Berlin. I went there once for an interview and I couldn't stop laughing when we started to discuss my salary. Every bum in every pedestrian zone earns more money than an Air Berlin office employee. It is beyond me that people work there without getting forced to do so, really.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

FlagshipAZ

Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:31 am

I worked at 3 different types of business. Amusement parks, Retail & Fast food. Never again would I ever work any one of these industries. I worked at Disneyland stocking all those mobile concession stands with useless junk. I've worked at Target & Pic-n-Save as an cashier & stocker. I've also worked Wendy's & Burger King. And I learned never to work those types of jobs ever again. I'm a travel consultant now, and I loved working at a desk working on a one-on-one basis now with the customer, instead with a group of whiny, noisy crybabies. Thank goodness my youth is behind me now along with those pissed-assed jobs. Guess I've gotten cynical in my middle-aged years.
Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

lgbga

Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 2):
Car dealership. While employed, I had them repair my car and my warranty ran out because it sat there for days.

This does not sound right. As long as you had the car and the proper paper work showing you brought it in before the warranty ran out, you should be covered no matter how long it say in the repair shop.

RJdxer

Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:50 am

1. Male strip club
2. Lesbian counselor
3. Airline Ticket/gate counter. I'd last maybe 48 hours.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

falstaff

Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:57 am

Quoting Pawsleykat (Reply 4):
I would never work in a fast food joint

I worked at Mc Donald's when I was 16/17, It wasn't all that bad.

Quoting Pawsleykat (Reply 4):
I'd get too lippy with customers

It is very tempting. I once had a guy complain that the Quarter Pounder with Cheese was too greasy. I looked at it and saw it looked like all the others. I asked him "if you wanted a non greasy burger than why did you come to Mc Donald's?"

I also would get worked up at the people who would order a value meal and not be specific about the drink:
customer: "I'll have a number 1"
me: "What would you like to drink?"
customer: "a medium."
me: "a medium what?"
customer: "A medium soda"
me: "no like coke, orange, root beer, ect.?"
customer: "Oh, I'll have a diet 7up"
me: "we don't have that here"
It goes on and on.

That being said. I would go back to fast food if that was my only choice. I will not go back to any kind of call center job. I worked for Enterprise Rent-A-Car at the national reservations center , the people were great, the type of worked sucked.

Quoting Lgbga (Reply 9):
This does not sound right. As long as you had the car and the proper paper work showing you brought it in before the warranty ran out, you should be covered no matter how long it say in the repair shop.

That is true. When I worked for Ford doing warranty claims that was the case. I don't recall ever denying a claim for that reason. If it is a GM extended warranty maybe can get you some help.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

allstarflyer

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:00 am

The saying " I wouldn't work there even if my life depended on it"

. . . is a great way to end up working somewhere. I've worked at places I don't much care to visit, but that doesn't mean I'll never end up doing that - or worse. That said, PawsleyKat will probably be taking your order at Mickey D's after your office visit at Air Berlin w/Sabena.  crazy 
Living the American Dream

aa61hvy

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:12 am

-Customer Service departments
-being a courier for a shipping company
-anything feature in "Dirty Jobs"
Go big or go home

halls120

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:13 am

The saying " I wouldn't work there even if my life depended on it", applies to this thread Where wouldn't you work? This should get very interesting as we have all types of people on here. Enjoy.

Sleazy plaintiff tort law firms that encourage the filing of frivolous lawsuits.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

zanl188

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:20 am

Light manufacturing. I had a job once where I cut slots in the heads of blank machine screws all day long. The cutting tool needed oil so there was a constant stream of oil on the screw heads. Of course the oil heated up and cooled the screw. But I ended up breathing hot oil fumes all day... makes me dizzy just thinking about it...
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

falstaff

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:31 am

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 13):
anything feature in "Dirty Jobs"

Some of those jobs are not that bad. I have done some dirty jobs. Nothing like cleaning an auto shop floor drain...  cry   vomit 
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

PlymSpotter

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:32 am

I'm willing to try most things, within reason  Wink I don't particularly fancy cleaning though, and anything to do with children is a big no no - they can drive you up the sodding wall in no time!!!

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

srbmod

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:33 am

Definitely have to say fast food. I could be out of work and every fast food place around me looking for workers, and I wouldn't apply to a single one.

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 10):
3. Airline Ticket/gate counter. I'd last maybe 48 hours.

I'd be lucky if I lasted 48 minutes. I got my fair share of grumpy and bad attitude passengers as a ramp agent. I'd go upstairs to get the bag screen for my next inbound and on several occasions had irate passengers yell at me for not holding their flight. I would be as polite as I could and explain to them that I had nothing to do with that decision, that I was up here getting information regarding the next flight into one of my gates and that one of the gates agents assigned to the gate will be back shortly to assist you. Based on the experiences of my gate agent friends when I was working in the industry, first passenger to cuss me out or spit on me probably would have found themselves laid out on the floor. Thankfully I have less than half the temper I did 7-8 years ago.

kmh1956

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:44 am

I will never say that I'll never work in such-and-such a business. If I'm broke, and the only jobs going are clening toilets or sweeping streets I'm going to do it....and be the best toilet cleaner or street sweeper that I can.

This thread reminds me of something I send to all our teachers every year called "The Eleven Rules of Life." I won't bore you with the whole thing, as I've posted it before. But one of the rules is:
Flipping burgers is NOT beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger-flipping…. opportunity.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

SlamClick

Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:04 am

To my great detriment I cannot stand working for the government.

Active duty military was very good. National Guard was okay but I cannot stomach civil service.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

walter747

Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:09 am

1. Gynocologist  ill   no   yuck 
2. McDonalds type restaurant.
3. Medical Records (I currently work in medical records and i want to die people are nasty and rude and too many papers!)
Hussel, Hussel, Husel, Grind, Grind, Grind

fumanchewd

Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:21 am

After some serious thinking, I don't think that I would want to be the guy who mops up in those places with the XXX video booths.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

sandrozrh

Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:41 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 7):
It is beyond me that people work there without getting forced to do so, really.

Their pilot salaries aren't THAT bad. I've seen worse  Wink

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:22 am

I would work at a car dealership just not the one i bought my automobile from.

This is very interesting as I have an interview at a gas station and fast food.

Hunter

nonrevman

Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:27 am

Let's see....

Telemarketer, fast food, Walmart cashier for starters. If my wife and son's lives depended on me taking one of these jobs, I would likely turn to a life of crime first.

greasespot

Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:06 pm

Never ever the following:

Any airline
Any restraunt
Any retail
Any telephone sales
Any tech support

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

ShyFlyer

Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:19 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 3):
anything that means I'd have to murder, disfigure or torment others.

I agree with you on the first two, but tormenting others can be fun at times.  devil 

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 13):
anything feature in "Dirty Jobs"

Well, some are not all that bad. Working at a candy shop, putting up billboards, and working at a print shop have been featured, and those jobs don't seem that bad. But there is a whole bunch that I wouldn't want.

For myself, I wouldn't want to be working in a position were I'd be handling money, such as a bank teller or cashier. Face to face customer service (Flight Attendant, waiter, most retail positions) is off my list as well, mostly because I will not tolerate rudeness. Also on my to be avoided list are sales positions, as I'm not aggressive enough to "make the deal." Everything else is on the table though.

I remember once upon a time I said I would never work in a correctional facility (prison). In March of 1999, I found myself accepting a temp job at a privately run state prison for women. I adapted to that environment, but thought that I would never, ever work in a facility with a male population, especially in a security position. Well, I found myself doing just that as well. After dealing with all the BS at that job (my fellow staff members, not the inmates), I said to myself never again shall I ever work at any type of prison in any type of role. Apparently, I hadn't had enough abuse, and returned to the first prison I worked at, this time in the mental health department. All told, I have 6 years in an industry that I once said I would never work in. Who ever coined the phrase "never say never" was quite right.
I lift things up and put them down.

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:19 pm

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 26):
Any restraunt
Any retail

Did retail and would like to experience restaurant.

Hunter

asuflyer05

Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:32 pm

Quoting Lgbga (Reply 9):

No manufacturer would deny a warranty claim for bringing in a car a few days after the warranty expired. With Honda there is even a goodwill period for claims after the warranty has expired. I want to say it is a year to 12k miles where at the dealer's discretion they can submit a goodwill claim to Honda.

I would call the District Service Manager for your brand and have him look into the issue.

S12PPL

Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:44 pm

It really depends. Sometimes you just gotta take a job to pay the bills. I'd take a shitty job to avoid getting into financial trouble.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:24 pm

Quoting Walter747 (Reply 21):
1. Gynocologist

I was thinking bout becoming a gynaecologist, I wanted to look up a few old girlfriends

57AZ

Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:39 pm

When I was in high school, I swore that I would never work in any restaurant and I never did. Instead I took a position as part time trainman with a local tourist railroad and got promoted to conductor within a year, working local trains. Eventually I ended up doing work in every department of the railroad from conductor to dining car attendant and station agent. However, about 90% of my work was as conductor.

Now I work in civil service as a deputy clerk in the county court. My current position is nice in that I don't have to deal with the public at all-only other court staff. I love it.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

airfoilsguy

Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:42 pm

Anything in sales. I couldn't sell life rafts on a sinking ship full of millionaires.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:33 am

Quoting 747438 (Reply 31):

I was thinking bout becoming a gynaecologist

Know a couple and they make a shit load of money.

Anything that involves heights.

Hunter

jamesbuk

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:48 am

Wont/dont ever want to work at McDonald's/Burger king/KFC anything like that.
'' '' at Tesco/Sainsburys shelve stacking or till work.

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

Faustino927

Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:22 am

I would never work as a waiter because I am afraid I would drop everything on the floor. I admire all the waiters and waitresses of the world. But, if I had to do it, I would.
Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

CaptOveur

Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:40 am

I won't do food.

Also, I won't work for Enterprise rent-a-car. Anyone who recruits as excessively as they do at universities for "management trainees" must be a shitty place to work.

A friend of mine was in their internship program. She said all she learned was how to wash a car in a suit.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

UAL747

Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:05 am

I worked for Dell Computers in OKC for about a year. I hated it. Shitty customers, shitty company. When they "claim" to promote you, your montly quota goes up so high that you can't make it and you miss your commissions payout. Your manager is ALWAYS breathing down your neck. They monitor EVERYTHING you do. From the time you logged onto your computer, to how many calls you've taken, how long you spent your time on with your customers, what your daily margin is, and they constantly have a co-manager listening to your calls, and they come up to you after the call and ask you why you didn't sell a person a $5000 computer even though they only had a credit limit of $1500, or better yet, no credit, credit card, and their debit card declined. I have never been treated so poorly at work than I was a Dell.

I was hired with about 50 people and was in training for two weeks with them. By the end of my time at Dell, there were only 5 of us from our class left.

When Christmas time comes around, be prepared to have 12 hour working days with two 15 minute breaks and a half-hour lunch time. Don't expect to get paid time and a half for overtime either. You should make it in your commissions and Dell will pay you $3 and hour for overtime hours, due to Oklahoma laws regarding overtime at call centers.

After Christmas, expect to not have any sales, but people calling in wondering why the shitty $350 computer they bought won't run Flight Simulator X and have them yell at you for 10 minutes.

Then after Christmas, expect to continue to work 12 hour shifts with 30 min lunches and two 15 min breaks because Dell just layed off the 150 people they hired to do their Christmas season work.

Dell SUCKS.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

kaddyuk

Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:28 am

Telesales, Telemarketing or anything which involves calling up strangers trying to sell them something, ask them questions or get them to sign up to something.

Be a pilot... Its not in my personality to be stuck up, self important and think that everyone else was born just to serve me...
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

jamesbuk

Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:36 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 39):
Be a pilot... Its not in my personality to be stuck up, self important and think that everyone else was born just to serve me...

But it is in your personality to stereotype people?

I do agree with you on the telemarketing thing though...

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

kaddyuk

Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:42 am

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 40):
But it is in your personality to stereotype people?

I never said it wasn't...
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

ThereandBack

Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:59 am

Any place where I would have to touch dairy products.

lgbga

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:18 pm

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 38):
Dell SUCKS.

I have a friend who feels the same way. He worked for them for a while and hated it. He was good at his job too, but now they ruined it for him. He doesn't want this line of work again. BTW they have awful customer service, too. Another great decision to outsource.

OB1504

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:56 pm

Quoting Nonrevman (Reply 25):
Walmart cashier for starters. If my wife and son's lives depended on me taking one of these jobs, I would likely turn to a life of crime first.

Silly