Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

QANTASforever
Topic Author

Workchoices Commericals

Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:25 am

That woman is driving me insane! What the hell is "the lo-wah"?

This government propaganda, on top of being an absolute and total waste of tax-payer dollars, is also exceptionally patronising. They skirt the fact that employers can fire employees, and then re-hire them on contracts that diminish their pay and conditions. It has removed the rights of employees to take an employer to court for unfair dismissal. And yet the government has the gall to use OUR MONEY to fund a campaign to downplay the severe negatives of this wretched policy.

Howard, it's time to go. Seriously.

QFF

jetmech

RE: Workchoices Commericals

Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:35 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Thread starter):

The worst thing about it all (besides them using our money for the ads) is the government actually thinks that the electorate is dumb enough to believe all their propaganda!

Regards, JetMech

QANTASforever
Topic Author

Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:37 am

Quoting JetMech (Reply 1):
The worst thing about it all (besides them using our money for the ads) is the government actually thinks that the electorate is dumb enough to believe all their propaganda!

I know.

And this most recent set of commercials shows workchoices "correcting" Australians on the topic of industrial relations.

Unbelievable.

VHVXB

Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:51 am

Really its nothing more than sign of how desperate the government is at the moment.

QANTASforever
Topic Author

Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:56 am

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 3):
Really its nothing more than sign of how desperate the government is at the moment.

I know. But still, what if they won again? I mean, this is when studying history is so important. We've seen historically that when a government starts using propaganda, the politics of culture and race, starts lying, ignoring its people, holding the electorate in contempt, and completely and totally controls an entire government AND the civil service - that we have a duty as citizens to put a stop to it. So, at the next election...I will.

Unless they cancel the election.  Wink

Still, how wonderful that we have a benevolent monarch to serve as the final line of defence against the kinds of things we're suffering with at the moment. What would we do without her??

QFF

CupraIbiza

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:06 pm

severe negatives of this wretched policy.

YOu mean negatives like the hundreds of thousands of jobs that have been created? Like unemployment at a 33 year low?

This advertising campaign is necessitated by the scare campaign that the management division of the ALP (i.e. the ACTU) have been running.

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 4):
I know. But still, what if they won again?

Lets see the ACTU running the country - I tremble at the thought

QFA380

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:17 pm

Quoting CupraIbiza (Reply 5):
YOu mean negatives like the hundreds of thousands of jobs that have been created? Like unemployment at a 33 year low?

Since when was John Howard the one to make valuable minerals in the ground? These jobs and low unemployment are due to the resources boom not John Howards pathetic attempt to run the country.

His ministers are screwing up everything wasting money on crap. Foreign affairs, defence, Aboriginal affairs, education the list goes on. Its time for him to leave.

QANTASforever
Topic Author

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:31 pm

YOu mean negatives like the hundreds of thousands of jobs that have been created?

At what cost? Have you seen tangible benefits to the economy as a result of the erosion of the rights of employees? Are you aware that there is a housing affordability crisis, that interest rates are going up and up and that the the Federal Reserve is surprised at the higher than expected rate of inflation?

Are you aware that recent polls have found that Australians are generally afraid of workchoices?

Are you seriously suggesting that this "employment at all costs" ridiculousness has translated into a stronger Australian economy?

If you are - then you're nuts.

This advertising campaign is necessitated by the scare campaign that the management division of the ALP (i.e. the ACTU) have been running.

The ACTU has pinpointed one of two major flaws of this policy, which the government hasn't even tried to address in this campaign (namely because they don't have a leg to stand on).

Lets see the ACTU running the country - I tremble at the thought

Well, so would I. They're a trade union. I want the ALP to be running the country because I believe that Kevin Rudd represents an actual vision for this country, and isn't just holding on to his political career for dear life like Howard. Howard has gone to extremes, and hopefully he'll pay the price at the next election.

QFF

CupraIbiza

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:46 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 7):
Well, so would I. They're a trade union. I want the ALP to be running the country because I believe that Kevin Rudd represents an actual vision for this countr

You are really nuts if you think the ACTU doesn't control the ALP.

The ACTU has pinpointed one of two major flaws of this policy

What are they?

Are you aware that recent polls have found that Australians are generally afraid of workchoices?

So just because Australians are afraid its automatically bad? Great logic that!

Are you aware that there is a housing affordability crisis, that interest rates are going up and up and that the the Federal Reserve is surprised at the higher than expected rate of inflation

And this has been caused by workchoices? What about all the taxes and charges levied by the states on new houses? Taxes and charges they were supposed to remove in return for the rivers of GST revenues they get

Quoting QFA380 (Reply 6):
Since when was John Howard the one to make valuable minerals in the ground? These jobs and low unemployment are due to the resources boom not John Howards pathetic attempt to run the country.

Yeah yeah whatever. Jobs in Pilbara and other mining regions. But how has resources boom increased employment in the rest of the country??

QANTASforever
Topic Author

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:55 pm

Quoting CupraIbiza (Reply 8):
You are really nuts if you think the ACTU doesn't control the ALP.

No, I've been a member of the ALP since I was 16. And I know from personal experience that the ACTU most certainly does not control the Parliamentary Labor party. You can believe whatever you wish, of course.

What are they?

What a lovely opportunity to point them out again:

1) Australian Workplace Agreements; and

2) The removal of unfair dismissal laws

Both are wretched.

So just because Australians are afraid its automatically bad? Great logic that!

It's indicative, I think, of the Howard government's refusal to listen to the people. There's a saying in Australian politics, "the people always get it right". The people have consistently opposed this police from day one. It's done nothing for the economy, and has simply seen more and more hardworking Australians turfed out of a job because they actually want some time off for a holiday once a year, or don't want to work an extra 10 hours a week for less money.

And this has been caused by workchoices?

Workchoices was meant to be for the benefit of the economy. The economy isn't doing well, and in addition to that, this workchoices policy has led to an influx of low paying jobs that will see businesses expand artificially to the extent that inflation will increase and interest rates will rise. This is bad economic policy. It conforms to Howard's conservative ideological agenda, and it will hurt Australia now and in the future.

QFF

CupraIbiza

Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:03 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 9):
o, I've been a member of the ALP since I was 16. And I know from personal experience that the ACTU most certainly does not control the Parliamentary Labor party. You can believe whatever you wish, of course.

How do you know? Do you listen on on the phone calls Kevin Rudd gets? I mean how can you know for sure? Regardless of how long you have been a member?

What a lovely opportunity to point them out again:

1) Australian Workplace Agreements; and

Both are wretched.

So its better to have 1 million unemployed like we did last time these guys were on watch?

The economy isn't doing well,

We must be talking about the Australia that on another planet......

It's indicative, I think, of the Howard government's refusal to listen to the people. There's a saying in Australian politics, "the people always get it right". The people have consistently opposed this police from day one. It's done nothing for the economy, and has simply seen more and more hardworking Australians turfed out of a job because they actually want some time off for a holiday once a year, or don't want to work an extra 10 hours a week for less money.

No doubt people are scared. But the case you site above. Are they widespread? Of course not. You will always get shonky employers. No matter the legislation. But in times of record low unemployment - where employees are near impossible to find, no employer is going to do anything to the detriment of their staff.

pilotdude09

Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:07 pm

Well, so would I. They're a trade union. I want the ALP to be running the country because I believe that Kevin Rudd represents an actual vision for this country, and isn't just holding on to his political career for dear life like Howard. Howard has gone to extremes, and hopefully he'll pay the price at the next election.

Agree with you there.

John Howard has had his time and i dont think he would last another 4 year term anyway, he would retire and we would have Costello or Vaile running the country! God help Australia then.

The thing they are trying to make us believe is that Australia wouldnt have had the lowest employment rate if the workchoices hadnt been around which is total bullshit.

Looking forward to a Labour government, we need a fresh direction and fresh face as PM of this country, Howards had his fun and its time to go.

QFA380

Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:15 pm

Yeah yeah whatever. Jobs in Pilbara and other mining regions. But how has resources boom increased employment in the rest of the country??

A resources boom means a general economic boom. Economic booms produce jobs in other sectors. Much of these extra jobs could be attributed also to the social trends Australians are following. We want more people to do a job that requires less. We want extra time with that financial planner, we want more lawyers to look after us legally, we want flash new houses built by top notch builders and tradesman.

Your telling me John Howard is to thank (blame) for the changes in the mindset of average Australians. Sorry, John Howard is just watching it all fall to pieces while the rest of us see the deterioration of great country.

Just having a look at the other days Financial Review, 250 000 jobs were created in the last financial year, Glenn Stevens has said that this number may be a little too high, that the labor supply may not be able to meet future needs due to this years large increase. Please tell me which is better, intelligent long-term economic planning or a nice little low unemployment number released the same week that interest rates rise... again? My generation could still be paying for this poor economic reasoning in 15-20 years time.

I'm not too sure but I thought unfair dismissal was only removed for companies with less than 100 employees. I'd say the majority of Australians work for companies with more than 100 employees.

Springbok747

Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:59 pm

This government propaganda, on top of being an absolute and total waste of tax-payer dollars, is also exceptionally patronising.

What else do you expect when ol' Johnny is going to lose his seat to some Maxine lady  Wink

BTW just heard that we're going to sell uranium to India..

http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2007/08/14/afx4020264.html

FlyboyOz

Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:07 pm

Oh...I was so excited that Qantasforever was back again but he is now banned again.

pilotdude09

Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:00 am

Quoting FlyboyOz (Reply 14):
Oh...I was so excited that Qantasforever was back again but he is now banned again.

rotfl 

Wondered why he didnt re post in this thread or the others he started, wonder why he was banned?

Hes good to debate with and practice those argumentative skills.

TBCITDG

Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:49 pm

Cupra:

laughing   laughing   laughing 

Guess WHO is the only person in the whole country voting for Howard this year???

CupraIbiza

Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:55 pm

Quoting TBCITDG (Reply 16):
Cupra:

Guess WHO is the only person in the whole country voting for Howard this year???

Looks like it... not that it matters whom I vote for. I live in a very very very safe seat.