Yflyer
Topic Author

Paying For Cocktails With A $100 Bill

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:18 am

I was reading the snopes.com message board this morning and came across an interesting rumor folks here might be able to comment on:

Quote:
Comment: I've heard a rumor that Oprah Winfrey told guests on her show
that if they are flying on commercial airlines in the U.S. that they
should only bring $100 bills on board. This way when they try to buy a
cocktail, the flight attendant won't have correct change and will be
obliged to give it to them for free. I am an airline pilot and I've heard
this from several flight attendants that say they are boycotting anything
Oprah related as a result. I've searched the internet as well as your
site, and while I don't believe this to be completely accurate, I can't
refute it!

Now I'm not really asking if this is true, because I'm pretty sure it's not. I'm more interesting in knowing a) have any of the FAs here ever had a passenger try this with them, and b) what would you do if a passenger attempted to pay with a $100 bill?

Here's a link to the snopes thread.

[Edited 2007-08-15 20:19:18]

Tornado82

RE: Paying For Cocktails With A $100 Bill

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:25 am

Don't they say "Correct change is required and appreciated?" when they make the drinks are $5 announcement?

That said, if I were the guy sitting next to/across from this A-hole, I'd say "How nice of you for buying a round for the whole aircraft" to make him feel like what he is.

COEI2007

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:28 am

I would take a $100 from the first pax that tried to pay with it, and try to give them change. After that, I would refuse $100 bills!

nicedream

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:29 am

Regardless of if you score a "free" drink or not, paying for a single drink with anything higher than a $20 bill is kind of rude. Especially on an airplane, where change is going to be very limited. Heck, I often feel bad and apologize when I make people break a 20 for something small.

[Edited 2007-08-15 20:34:24]

Longhornmaniac

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:31 am

Hell, I'd pay them back with 19 $5 dollar bills, or $95 one dollar bills, if they had it.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

northstardc4m

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:32 am

Take the 100. Give them change as pennies... that'll teach them.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Yflyer
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:34 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 1):
Don't they say "Correct change is required and appreciated?" when they make the drinks are $5 announcement?

I'm pretty sure I've always just heard "Correct change is appreciated" but I don't think it's absolutely required. I know I've seen FAs make change before, either after selling a few more cocktails and therefore obtaining more small bills, asking the other FA's if they have change, or as a last resort asking other passengers if they can break the bill. Of course this has always been with $10s and $20s.

rwsea

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:36 am

I feel for the FAs as their put in a tough position, but if the airline isn't willing to properly provide change or allow alternate payment (such as CCs), then they should oblige the customers. The airline really shouldn't be in the alcohol business in the first place if they can't even handle basic transactions, such as using legal-tender currency.

blueflyer

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:37 am

That trick worked ages ago. Nowadays, they will take your $100 with a knowing smile and tell you they will be back later, much later, like 5 minutes before landing, with your correct change after having used the correct payment from all other passengers to come up with your change, and in the meantime they will have a good laugh at the ones who believe anything the O says is gospel (I actually did hear that conversation once on CO). Maybe Oprah thinks it's true because every time she tries to pay for a cocktail in her GV (or whatever it is she flies) with a $100 bill, the flight attendant turns her money away.

Oh and if they don't want to bother and it's AA, they'll tell you they can take a credit card instead. What is it going to look like if you have a $100 bill and no credit card ?

(No particular offense intended at the OP).

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 2):
I would take a $100 from the first pax that tried to pay with it, and try to give them change. After that, I would refuse $100 bills!

Actually, that is illegal in the US. Actual money (as opposed to checks or credit cards) in any denomination is legal tender and cannot be refused for payment. Of course, that doesn't mean you should sue your local 7-11 for not wanting to accept more than $20 bills, but you could...
This space forcibly cleansed to protect truthers

Tornado82

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:40 am

Quoting BlueFlyer (Reply 8):
Actual money (as opposed to checks or credit cards) in any denomination is legal tender and cannot be refused for payment.

Surely you've seen gas station signs that say "No bills higher than $20 accepted" or something of the like.

rdwelch

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:45 am

This probably why so many airlines are going with cashless transactions on board their flights.

Gus
They say I have ADD, but they don't understand..Oh look! A chicken!

NASBWI

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:48 am

"Exact change is appreciated" - not required  wink . There's more than one way to skin a cat; you can either accept the $100 bill and let them wait till you can get change, or you can take their drink order, and their money at the same time (before delivery). If they offer a $100 bill, you can politely ask them if they have anything smaller (before you you trap yourself by delivering the drink). Oftentimes they do, but just don't want to fumble around for the loose dollar bills; I've seen it happen on many occasions. If the said passenger does not have anything less than the bill, then it's up to the flight attendant's mood as to whether he or she will serve the drink  wink .
Fierce, Fabulous, and Flawless ;)

UN_B732

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:48 am

I didn't know that it was illegal to refuse a bill. I tried to pay for headphones on DL with a $50 (i was supposed to be in F, then got bumped at the last minute) and the F/A refused.
-A
What now?

NASBWI

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:50 am

Quoting Rdwelch (Reply 10):
probably why so many airlines are going with cashless transactions on board their flights

Indeed. I hope B6 goes that way soon. Though, I felt kinda bad for this kid (unaccompanied minor) who wanted to watch a movie but didn't have a credit card (he had cash), so I just comped it for him.

don81603

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:50 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 9):
Surely you've seen gas station signs that say "No bills higher than $20 accepted" or something of the like.

Just because they post a sign doesn't mean it's legal. I was in an apartment once, and they put up a sign stating all rent must be paid by cheque or money orders. No cash accepted. After a few months of having them refuse my cash (I did it to prove a point) they tried to evict me for non-payment, and the rent review bord here told them flat out "He tried to pay cash, and you refused. Your loss, not his." After they revised their policy, I glady paid the outstanding rent.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

sacamojus

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:55 am

Actually, that is illegal in the US. Actual money (as opposed to checks or credit cards) in any denomination is legal tender and cannot be refused for payment

I think this is for when people won't accept US money because it is US money. After all, I believe any business has the right to refuse service to anyone as long as it is not based on race, sex, age, etc.....Although some exclusions apply.

3DoorsDown

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:56 am

I saw this happen on a flight. I was in row 9 and the guy was in row 7. He had a $100 bill and the F/A told him she didn't have enough change but she would bring it to him after they got through the plane. What could he say, he wasn't going anywhere. About an hour later she brought him his change. No worries from either of them.

NASBWI

Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:04 am

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 7):
The airline really shouldn't be in the alcohol business in the first place if they can't even handle basic transactions, such as using legal-tender currency.

It's not quite that simple. Airlines offer a primary service - to transport a person from A to B. The rest is what some call "frills". Some airlines offer products either complimentary or for sale, though not necessarily enough for the entire cabin (meals, drinks, pillows/blankets, etc). That doesn't make it a restaurant, bar, or hotel.

Therefore, it's a bit of a logistical headache to stock each and every airplane with a "cash drawer" of sorts to allow for one or two customers that brought a $100 bill to pay for a $5 item. How much cash should be stocked? What currency should be offered (how many $1s, $5s, $10s, $20s, etc)? If that happened, pretty soon international customers would start pushing for foreign currency as well...hmmmm. XYZ airlines/restaurant/hotel/bank?

Look at it this way: a pizza for delivery will probably run you about $15, give or take a couple bucks for a tip. So, a $20 bill should cover it. Most people don't slip the delivery guy a $50 or $100 (and expect change) - especially when it's stated that they don't carry change above a certain amount. Why then, should flight attendants walk around at any given time with a bunch of cash?

[Edited 2007-08-15 21:04:46]

Type-Rated

Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:05 am

Before I get on a flight, I make sure I have plenty of $5. bills in my wallet. I even had an F/A thank me one time for giving her correct change once.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

N801NW

Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:05 am

From the US Treasury Dept.

Quote:

Question I thought that United States currency was legal tender for all debts. Some businesses or governmental agencies say that they will only accept checks, money orders or credit cards as payment, and others will only accept currency notes in denominations of $20 or smaller. Isn't this illegal?

Answer The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.

blueflyer

Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:07 am

I have. That's why I said you could sue them if you wanted to...

Yflyer
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:11 am

...and in the meantime they will have a good laugh at the ones who believe anything the O says is gospel (I actually did hear that conversation once on CO). Maybe Oprah thinks it's true because every time she tries to pay for a cocktail in her GV (or whatever it is she flies) with a $100 bill, the flight attendant turns her money away.

Well, I haven't seen anything verifying that Oprah even actually made that statement in the first place, so at this point I'm also skeptical about that part of the rumor I quoted in the OP.

Quoting UN_B732 (Reply 12):
I didn't know that it was illegal to refuse a bill.

It's not. The concept of "legal tender" is often misunderstood, and doesn't mean it's illegal to refuse a bill in many cases. The US Treasurary has an explanation here. Wikipedia explains it here

Quote:
In some jurisdictions legal tender can be refused as payment if no debt exists prior to the time of payment (for example, where the obligation to pay arises substantially contemporaneously with the offer of payment). Consequently vending machines and transport staff do not have to accept the largest denomination of banknote for a single bus fare or bar of chocolate, and even shopkeepers can reject large banknotes — this is covered by the legal concept known as invitation to treat. However, restaurants that do not collect money until after a meal is served would have to accept that legal tender for payment of the debt incurred in purchasing the meal.

So the case where a FA serves a cocktail only after receiving payment would fall into the category of "invitation to treat."

N801NW

Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:11 am

Quoting BlueFlyer (Reply 20):
I have. That's why I said you could sue them if you wanted to...

Umm, no. Please see the above post. There is no Federal law requiring Cash be accepted as payment.

rdwelch

Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:20 am

Quoting NASBWI (Reply 13):
Indeed. I hope B6 goes that way soon. Though, I felt kinda bad for this kid (unaccompanied minor) who wanted to watch a movie but didn't have a credit card (he had cash), so I just comped it for him.

Good job.

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 14):
After they revised their policy, I glady paid the outstanding rent.

In cash again, or using a check or money order?

As was stated, I'd like to see where Oprah could be implicated in this, direct quote, confirmed sighting....

Gus.

n234nw

Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:22 am

Actually, that is illegal in the US. Actual money (as opposed to checks or credit cards) in any denomination is legal tender and cannot be refused for payment. Of course, that doesn't mean you should sue your local 7-11 for not wanting to accept more than $20 bills, but you could...

That statement is not completely true. Legal tender cannot be refused as payment for a debt. In this case, no debt exists, as they require pre-payment for the drink. If this situation arose in a restaurant, the restaurant would be obligated to take the $100 bill, since the patron owes them a debt after eating the meal.

There is no law that specifically prohibits a merchant from specifying what forms of payment they accept or refuse. Nothing illegal about 7-11 not accepting $100 bills, or the bus refusing to take a $20 for a $1 fare.

And, as always, I'm sure the airline reserves the right to refuse service to anyone.

JohnJ

Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:25 am

While I'd never use a $100 bill to pay for a beer on a flight, I often hit an ATM before boarding a plane and they don't like $20 bills much more than $100s. Things are changing with many airlines now accepting credit cards, but in my mind many full-service airlines are running a cash-only retail business. And they can't change a $20 bill? Not acceptable.

flflyguy

Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:35 am

Just because this very issue peeves me so (because I think it is really sleazy to try to get a free drink this way), I ALWAYS have change for a 100.00 bill when I fly. Once I cheerfully (really! I don't want them to know that it makes me mad!) make that change for the passenger, I will also keep an eye on him/her and a little while after he/she falls asleep, I will go wake them up with "I'm so sorry, I need change for a $20...and I know you have it because I gave it to you earlier".

Additionally, if more than one person tries it (so now I'm out of change) I have no problem saying, "Well then, you'll have to pay with a credit card". If you have a $100 bill, and are pulling this stunt, you undoubtedly also have a credit card. If not, well, diet coke is free.

And they get even ballsier than this....I have twice had the same person give me a SECOND hundred dollar bill when they want another drink, after I've made change for the first one. I must look mighty stupid if they think I'm gonna fall for that!
The views expressed are my own, and not necessarily those of my employer.

B767300ER

Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:37 am

Luckily working International flights have not faced problem of purchasing drinks. Some of my F/A collegus working domestic flights have encountered this from some passenger sitting together, each offering a $50.00 or $100.00 bill.
They countered the "legal tender" reminder with giving change with $1.00 coins, also "legal tender." Suddenly smaller bills were found. This has happend most frequently of flights out of LAS and SJU. They got a few enquires from the home office when they opened receipt envelopes with dollar coins but when told why they just smiled and said fine, do what ever in necessary.

blueflyer

Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:41 am

Quoting BlueFlyer (Reply 20):

Quoting N801NW (Reply 19):

And I was wrong. Sorry, folks.

srbmod

Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:20 am

Quite a few on them on my route have such signs posted, and I've seen them take $50s and $100s while I'm in there, and they've paid me for my delivery with $50s or $100s out of the till.

I always make sure I have small bills with me when I travel. Not only to pay for the occasional inflight cocktail or for the headphones, but also to tip the shuttle bus driver/taxi driver, hotel bell staff, etc.

don81603

Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:42 am

Quoting Rdwelch (Reply 23):
In cash again, or using a check or money order?

In cash. If I could have, it would have been in $1 coins, but that would have been WAY to heavy...

rdwelch

Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:08 am

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 30):
In cash. If I could have, it would have been in $1 coins, but that would have been WAY to heavy...

I guess there's alot to be said about civil disobedience.

As I said before, select airlines are going to the cashless systems for everything to take the currency aspect out of the equation for the FA's.

Also, there are many different foreign nationals flying on US domestic airlines and vice versa, so this minimizes the guess work when you're paying with your Visa/MC/Diner's/AMEX.........

Gus

da man

Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:11 am

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 30):

Quoting Rdwelch (Reply 31):
I guess there's alot to be said about civil disobedience.

How about $2 bills, see the link for a story about this type of civil disobedience. I do it all the time (pay with $2 bills, $1 coins, and $0.50 coins).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...tes_two-dollar_bill#Non-acceptance
War Eagle!

BoeingBoy

Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:18 am

I'd say here's a Coke - If and when I have change of a $100 i'll be back for your drink order.
10% is the best we can do

HnlBoi

Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:32 am

Be like some airlines, Example: HA, where onboard purchaes can be made via credit card/debit card only CASH NOT accepted. I believe its the same for NW as well.

NASBWI

Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:41 am

Quoting HnlBoi (Reply 34):
HA, where onboard purchaes can be made via credit card/debit card only CASH NOT accepted. I believe its the same for NW as well.

As well as FL.

AASTEW

Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:10 am

AA gives new hire F/A's a $20.00 change fund included in their first paycheck. However, many F/A's don't keep that change fund seperate. They spend it of course!

Upon, leaving the company AA takes the $20.00 change fund back out of your final paycheck. I don't know how far back this policy goes but it was that way when I got hired in '95. Although, maybe fellow AA'ers can tell you how far back this policy goes.

With Buy on Board and credit card acceptance this not having change situation doesn't happen that often anymore!

AASTEW

TrvlnMan

Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:39 am

Quoting JohnJ (Reply 25):
And they can't change a $20 bill? Not acceptable.

Obviously, you've had a problem with this in the past - not going into the giftshop and buying a pack of gum or just asking if they could change a $20 to avoid a problem.... just stupid!

iairallie

Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:59 am

Re: the AA change fund.
$20 added to your first paycheck and $20 deducted from your last so you can't exactly spend it.
AA requires FA's to carry $20 in 1's. Nice in theory but you start a 4 day trip and the first pax on the first flight hands you a $20 you no longer have any small change. The next pax hands you a 20 and you have to pray that you have enough other pax who pay with exact change to cover it later.

How I handled it when I worked revenue flights.
1. don't serve the drink until it is paid for and you have change.
2. ask if they have a smaller bills
3. ask co-workers if they have change
4. page for a volunteer to make change and comp the volunteer a drink rewarding good not sleazy behavior.
5. tell them I'm sorry you'll have to wait until I'm able to provide you with change can I serve you one of our complimentary options while you wait.
4. no change no drink maybe next time they will come prepared.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

jbernie

Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:36 am

Quoting 3DoorsDown (Reply 16):
I saw this happen on a flight. I was in row 9 and the guy was in row 7. He had a $100 bill and the F/A told him she didn't have enough change but she would bring it to him after they got through the plane. What could he say, he wasn't going anywhere. About an hour later she brought him his change. No worries from either of them.

And here is the solution.....

You can pay with any denomination that you like... legal tender is legal tender.....

BUT

Just because you can pay with a $100 and feel important doesn't mean anyone can provide you with change for said $100 bill.

Sorry sir, we only have $20 change, would you like to pay $75 for your drink or would you like to pay with something smaller?

With my gf working as a waitress she has seen more than her fair share of customers flashing their $100 bills when paying the sub $50 tab, but oh so generously leaving a sub 10% tip in a very respectable full service restaurant. ie show off the big $$ to the rest of the table to make yourself feel important but really be a cheapskate.

KaiGywer

Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:49 am

Quoting NorthStarDC4M (Reply 5):

Just remember to redo the weight and balance  Silly
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

COEI2007

Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:35 pm

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 2):

Good thing I dont work for an American Carrier!

Quoting NASBWI (Reply 17):
Quoting RwSEA (Reply 7):
The airline really shouldn't be in the alcohol business in the first place if they can't even handle basic transactions, such as using legal-tender currency.

It's not quite that simple. Airlines offer a primary service - to transport a person from A to B. The
rest is what some call "frills". Some airlines offer products either complimentary or for sale, though not necessarily enough for the entire cabin (meals, drinks, pillows/blankets, etc). That doesn't make it a restaurant, bar, or hotel.

Therefore, it's a bit of a logistical headache to stock each and every airplane with a "cash drawer" of sorts to allow for one or two customers that brought a $100 bill to pay for a $5 item. How much cash should be stocked? What currency should be offered (how many $1s, $5s, $10s, $20s, etc)? If that happened, pretty soon international customers would start pushing for foreign currency as well...hmmmm. XYZ airlines/restaurant/hotel/bank?

I agree. F/A's are there for safety. Thats their main priority. We are more than happy to serve drinks and sell items onboard. Paying with a $100 bill is just annoying. I personally dont even do it in a shop on the ground, so I wouldnt do it on a flight. I will try my best to take whatever money pax have, whether it be a $50 or a $100, but if I dont think I can get change for them, I wont accept a $100. Or, will have to offer them them more food/drinks/duty-free to the value of the change I owe them!

kmh1956

Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:16 pm

If I intend to have a drink on board an aircraft, I always make sure that I have money on hand in smaller denominations...singles, fives or tens. The FAs are usually very grateful that I can pay for my drink with exact change...
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

oly720man

Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:35 pm

So Snopes admin starts the thread on Snopes and then 1st reply is Snopes admin commenting on it. Hmmm.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

JohnJ

Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:36 pm

Quoting TrvlnMan (Reply 37):
Obviously, you've had a problem with this in the past - not going into the giftshop and buying a pack of gum or just asking if they could change a $20 to avoid a problem.... just stupid!

Why is it stupid to patronize a retail business and be peeved when they can't change a $20 bill?

ltbewr

Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:41 am

Having worked in retail business including a convenience store and pumping gas at gas stations (in New Jersey, back in the 1970's), it was difficult to accept anything over a $20 bill and was general policy for good reasons. First of all, you would have limited change available for large bills as many such stores or gas stations would limit the amount of cash accessible in the register, usually not more than $50-100. That was a balance so had enough for most change needs, but if robbed that would be all you would lose. Usually you would take out excess cash over that $50-100 limit during your shift and put it into a drop safe, accessible only to the boss/manager. Second, there is the fear that larger bills (from $20's on up) could be counterfeit, so by not taking larger bills, you minimise that risk too.

Yflyer
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:45 am

Quoting Oly720man (Reply 43):
So Snopes admin starts the thread on Snopes and then 1st reply is Snopes admin commenting on it. Hmmm.

When he starts a thread like that with "Comment:" at the beginning, he's posting an email he's received for people to comment on, not something out of his own mouth. If he personally has a comment to make he posts it in a seperate reply to keep it seperate.

northstardc4m

Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:58 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 40):
Quoting NorthStarDC4M (Reply 5):

Just remember to redo the weight and balance Silly

What, you mean 47.5 lbs is a big deal  Wink
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

dl021

Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:12 am

If you feel like you have to scam the airline for a free drink then that's fairly pathetic. If you can't afford the drink then you don't need it.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

don81603

Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:42 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 48):
If you feel like you have to scam the airline for a free drink then that's fairly pathetic. If you can't afford the drink then you don't need it.

I agree with you 100% here, but some people always want something for nothing, and will go to great lengths to try and get it too.