Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Pope
Topic Author

John Edwards - Just Another Hypocritical Lib

Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:14 am

The WSJ has a front page article (sorry subscription only) today that highlights exactly how hypocritical this guy is.

Quote:

As a presidential candidate, Democrat John Edwards has regularly attacked subprime lenders, particularly those that have filed foreclosure suits against victims of Hurricane Katrina. But as an investor, Mr. Edwards has ties to lenders foreclosing on Katrina victims.

The Wall Street Journal has identified 34 New Orleans homes whose owners have faced foreclosure suits from subprime-lending units of Fortress Investment Group LLC. Mr. Edwards has about $16 million invested in Fortress funds, according to a campaign aide who confirmed a more general Federal Election Commission report. Mr. Edwards worked for Fortress, a publicly held private-equity fund, from late 2005 through 2006.

This guys is amazing. He has a whole section of his website (http://johnedwards.com/issues/predatory-mortgages/ dedicated to criticizing predatory mortgages, but has absolutely no problem serving as and advisor to one such company or investing $16 millions in it. Just one more example of liberal hypocrisy - do as I say not as I do.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

OU812

RE: John Edwards - Just Another Hypocritical Lib

Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:42 am

John Edwards is so bad. I just can't believe he doesn't realize what a phony he is. At times I think he knows he has absolutely no chance, but using his presidential run as an opportunity to put him in the spot light & make more money.[i. e. Book, speaches]

Quoting Pope (Thread starter):
The Wall Street Journal has identified 34 New Orleans homes whose owners have faced foreclosure suits from subprime-lending units of Fortress Investment Group LLC. Mr. Edwards has about $16 million invested in Fortress funds, according to a campaign aide who confirmed a more general Federal Election Commission report. Mr. Edwards worked for Fortress, a publicly held private-equity fund, from late 2005 through 2006.

Heard about Edwards working at a Hedge Fund months ago on Rush Limbaugh. Anybody else hear about this recent story on CNN, Hardball or read about it in the NYT?

jpetekyxmd80

Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:53 am

Just another hypocritical POLITICIAN. Singling out hypocrisy to liberals, you'll lose that argument.

I'm no fan of pretty boy Edwards either.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

Superfly

Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:55 am

Bring back the Concorde

andessmf

Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:59 am

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 2):
Singling out hypocrisy to liberals, you'll lose that argument.

Agree with that.

Though it is quite the operating basis for most with party affiliation.

dtwclipper

Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:26 am

Singling out hypocrisy to liberals, you'll lose that argument.

checkmark   checkmark 

Just another attempt by the whacko righties and Limbaugh loony ditto heads to take attention away from their sinking ship.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

aace24

Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:34 am

Just another hypocritical POLITICIAN. Singling out hypocrisy to liberals, you'll lose that argument.

I was about to post something along the same exact lines.  thumbsup 

Nice try though.  Yeah sure

itsnotfinals

Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:37 am

All politians are idiots, they lie for a living , after a while they forget what the truth is, look at the current US administration.
Speedbird 178 Heavy, FINAL runway 27L

aloges

Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:40 am

Huh? So he invests in a hedge fund that in turn invests in lenders, those lenders decide to foreclose on Katrina victims and suddenly it's all Edwards' fault? Nice logic.  sarcastic  So if I had assets invested in a huge fund such as Fortress, who in turn might buy some company and outsource most of its activities, would I be labelled a "hypocritical liberal" as well?  crazy 

This is grasping at straws. I'm sure however the man will also be accused of "lying" for this:

Quote:
"My reaction is I'm going to help these people," Edwards said in a telephone interview. "I just learned about this. I don't know the details, I will find out and I will find a way to help them."

(from Superfly's article)
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Molykote

Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:43 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 3):
For what it's worth...........

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070817/...osure

.... now that the subprime market has tanked (and bad press has come his way) John Edwards has coincidentally "seen the light" and will withdraw his investments.

Amazing that some people wonder why this man is seen as such an opportunist.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

sean1234

Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:46 am

We all are making very broad statements now aren't we? To add to the roast, Edward's has his assets invested in an incorporated offshore account; and let's not forget the $200 dollar haircuts as well.

Quoting OU812 (Reply 1):
John Edwards is so bad. I just can't believe he doesn't realize what a phony he is. At times I think he knows he has absolutely no chance, but using his presidential run as an opportunity to put him in the spot light & make more money.[i. e. Book, speaches]

That is an interesting point. Most of the people in the field never had a chance from the beginning. Who would have known the name Dennis Kucinich had he never run for president?

[Edited 2007-08-18 00:18:04]

stlgph

Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:27 am

Edwards has been asking Fortress for their assistance in his stance for months and was never able to get confirmation they were helping or denying until earlier this week.

However, it will be interesting to see if the second tier Democratic candidates address this this Sunday morning.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

halls120

Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:35 am

Too little, too late.

Quoting Molykote (Reply 9):
Amazing that some people wonder why this man is seen as such an opportunist.

Because he looks so sincere when he's lying to camera, that's why.

Quoting STLGph (Reply 11):
Edwards has been asking Fortress for their assistance in his stance for months and was never able to get confirmation they were helping or denying until earlier this week.

Don't about you, but if I had $16 million of my money invested in a company, and I was a national figure like Edwards, I'd damn sure to know what the company I was investing in was doing with my money.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Superfly

Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:37 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 12):
Too little, too late.

Yep.
That Pope has spoken.
Bring back the Concorde

halls120

Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:43 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 13):
Quoting Halls120 (Reply 12):Too little, too late.
Yep.
That Pope has spoken.

Has nothing to do with Pope. It has everything to do with the fact that Edwards should have known better.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

FlyingTexan

Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:48 am

Hypocritical is when someone who purposely avoids combat sends thousands of men and women to die based on a lie. Hypocritical is when people with 4 or 5 deferments criticize men like Kerry and Mutha (who both have a chest full of metals) and Cleland – who also has a chest full of metals and lost 3 limbs in Vietnam.

That’s hypocritical.

So part of a fund Edwards invests in (more than likely one of the many, many, many things he invests in) has ties to lenders who foreclosed on Katrina victims.

(Terribly sad, BTW, that we still have Katrina victims living in trailers).

I’m sure Edwards has TEAMS of financial advisors. I doubt he had in depth firsthand knowledge of this (and he just ended those ties according to the AP article Superfly posted).

Unlike Bush, he can promptly admit when he is wrong.

John Edwards has done a tremendous amount of work for poverty in America. John Edwards is a self made man. Bush was born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

Bush simply does not care about the underprivileged. He panders to the elite, super-wealthy --- those who have wealth way beyond the realm of John Edwards. (Like war profiteers who throw obscene $10 Million parties).

Phony? John Edwards is a phony? Nice! I’ll go run for president --- but not before buying a ranch 5 minutes before I decide to – even though I’ve never spent too much time on a ranch. Even though I was born to Northeast aristocracy. And then I'll pretend to be a Cowboy!!!

So just go back to fellating Bush.

[Edited 2007-08-18 00:54:36]
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

Molykote

Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:59 am

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 15):
So just go back to fellating Bush.

The first appearance of "Bush" in this thread was in your post.

I don't excuse blatant hypocricy on either side of the political spectrum. However, I believe that issues like this often look worse for liberals as it goes against what many of them are "selling".

An investment in this (subprime) market has upsides and downsides like any other - it simply has more risk and a larger possible reward than many other investment alternatives. For someone out to simply make a buck, I have no problem with an individual fronting his money to a borrower with dodgy credit. Both "sides" agree to this proposition, so there's really no problem with the situation. I or any of these poor/underprivledged/minority groups will receive loan terms based upon our credit rating. I really don't see this as an issue of such groups being "preyed on" - Investors are simply fronting large amounts of money that affords these groups one more option in their financial management. What is the viable market based alternative? - Deny these groups loans of any type?

The only problem with the above comes when someone is portraying themselves as fighting for the down trodden. This is no different than the Congress which can't stop preaching against tobacco but prefers to keep the companies alive for the sake of profiting (in the form of political capital) from all of the taxes associated with the product.

[Edited 2007-08-18 01:13:18]

fxramper

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:07 am

Just another hypocritical POLITICIAN

Copy that.  yes 

Waiting for Falcon84 to chime in... duck 

Pope
Topic Author

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:11 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 8):
So if I had assets invested in a huge fund such as Fortress, who in turn might buy some company and outsource most of its activities, would I be labelled a "hypocritical liberal" as well?

First of all this wasn't just a passive investment, he was an adviser to the firm and received a half million dollar paycheck from them. I guess it's ok for him to demand corporate accountability in the executive suite as long as its not HIS executive suite.

Secondly, we're not talking about a little bit of money. He's got over 50% of his portfolio in these funds. I guess when he talks about improving oversight and accountability, he's again not holding himself to the same standard.

Third, he was out there actively criticizing companies for doing this and profiting from the very actions he was criticizing. If that isn't hypocrisy I don't know what is.

FlyingTexan

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:21 am

Quoting Molykote (Reply 16):

Its fair to claim those rallying around this post are Bush fans. Its fair to claim those who frequent Non Av associate those postrers' user names with "Blind Bush Supporter."
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

planespotting

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:26 am

uh....

Fortune Investments Group holds a variety of assets most of you probably couldn't ever figure out (myself included). They manage the financing of these assets (using money from their investors) that are likely to make them and their owners a profit - in this case, bonds which have been converted from loans to other banks that use that capital to lend at a variety of rates, including sub-prime.

Edwards money never went to homeowners, or the original banks - it likely came along very far along in the finance chain after the options had been swapped numerous times from other various investment companies.

I'm not excusing Mr. Edwards for putting his money in or being involved with a company trying to profit from the whole sub-prime thing, but it's not like he was making all of his money from Joe Q homeowner's mortgage foreclosure.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

Molykote

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:29 am

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 19):
Its fair to claim those rallying around this post are Bush fans. Its fair to claim those who frequent Non Av associate those postrers' user names with "Blind Bush Supporter."

That may be the case (although I don't know any of these people as you do to make that assertion myself).

However, I don't see a problem with discussing this issue as framed by the original topic. By no means am I naive enough to think that this kind of behavior is confined to one side of the political spectrum. However, I did outline (above) why I believe that revelations like this can be particularly damning to a liberal with the "working man" sales pitch.

AirCop

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:35 am

Just wondering how many of us have invested in mutual funds which in turned put some money in hedge funds/or any other company that invested in the subprime market?

FlyingTexan

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:39 am

Quoting Molykote (Reply 21):
However, I don't see a problem with discussing this issue as framed by the original topic

And the original topic includes the word hypocritical.

I gave an example of a hypocrite.

He just happens to be in national politics. Like John Edwards.

stlgph

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:44 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 12):
Don't about you, but if I had $16 million of my money invested in a company, and I was a national figure like Edwards, I'd damn sure to know what the company I was investing in was doing with my money.

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 20):

he beat me to it.

stlgph

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:46 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 22):
Just wondering how many of us have invested in mutual funds which in turned put some money in hedge funds/or any other company that invested in the subprime market?

or worse yet ... donated to the Democratic party.

767Lover

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:50 am

Probably many.

However, none of us are highlighting the malfeasance of the subprime market as a campaign platform to gain voter confidence in our decision making, either.

Moreover, we are not talking about a passive investor. As was pointed out, he was a paid consultant for the firm.

This should surprise no one, however, Politics is dirty business, no matter who you represent (or claim to.)

halls120

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:50 am

The difference is, we aren't running for president, nor are we public figures campaigning on behalf of the poor.

If I was, then I'd make damn sure all of my investments were squeaky clean.

Quoting STLGph (Reply 24):
Quoting Halls120 (Reply 12):Don't about you, but if I had $16 million of my money invested in a company, and I was a national figure like Edwards, I'd damn sure to know what the company I was investing in was doing with my money.

he beat me to it.

So what? He's all but admitted that Edwards had some of his money in a fund that profited from subprime loans, but tries to lamely rationalize it away.

I'm not excusing Mr. Edwards for putting his money in or being involved with a company trying to profit from the whole sub-prime thing, but it's not like he was making all of his money from Joe Q homeowner's mortgage foreclosure.

andessmf

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:55 am

How many of you, given the opportunity, would have ROASTED a member of the GOP for the same thing? Ypetek put it well, it happens of BOTH sides.

Just the same as there is the typical "Blind Bush Supporter", this thread simply points out that there are typical "Blind (insert Democratic candidate here) supporter".

Sad that a lot of you can't recognize your own biases.

stlgph

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:59 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 27):
So what? He's all but admitted that Edwards had some of his money in a fund that profited from subprime loans, but tries to lamely rationalize it away.

please find me an investment company and practice that is entirely 100% free of any bad air. we'll talk then.

AirCop

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:08 am

The difference is, we aren't running for president, nor are we public figures campaigning on behalf of the poor.

If I was, then I'd make damn sure all of my investments were squeaky clean.

I doubt that any of the announced candidates have investments that are squeaky clean. I see your point, but wasn't it just a few years ago, that corporate America saw sub-prime loans as a way to get the working poor into homes, while racking in profits..Almost sounds like the old savings and loans scam of the 80's which caught members of both parties with their hands in the cookie jar, (McCain member of the Keating 5).

halls120

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:15 am

Only those that are intellectually lazy resort to such lame stereotyping.

Tell us something. If Guiliani or Thompson or Romney are found to have similar investments, aren't you going to be bashing them?

I will be, that's for sure.

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 28):
Sad that a lot of you can't recognize your own biases.

They can recognize them - they just choose to avoid the unpleasant reality of their own failings.

Quoting STLGph (Reply 29):

please find me an investment company and practice that is entirely 100% free of any bad air. we'll talk then.

I agree that it would be hard to fine a pure investment company. All the more reason to make sure that if you are going to attack the subprime market as part of your campaign for president, you better not have any money with those very same companies,

Unless you enjoy being labeled a hypocrite, of course.

planespotting

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:29 am

I didn't try to rationalize anything - I explained the situation, pointing out the obvious flaws in everyones "lets jump all over edwards" attack. I also admitted that it doesn't excuse him totally from being called a hypocrite.

Hypocrites are everywhere, in politics and out. Newt Gingrich had an affair at the same time he was calling for President Clinton's impeachment for the same activity - it's come out that numerous other Republican congressman have as well.

Who cares - it means the same thing as Edwards' situation: nothing.

FlyingTexan

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:35 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 28):
How many of you, given the opportunity, would have ROASTED a member of the GOP for the same thing?

I save that for when members of the GOP are caught being child molesters and various other assorted criminal activities.

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 31):

Its fair to claim those rallying around this post are Bush fans. Its fair to claim those who frequent Non Av associate those posters' user names with "Blind Bush Supporter."

Only those that are intellectually lazy resort to such lame stereotyping.

Halls, would you not say the first several posters in this thread (sans Superfly) are loud Bush stalwarts?

Anyone else associate their user names with "Pro Bush" ???

halls120

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:54 am

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 32):
Hypocrites are everywhere, in politics and out. Newt Gingrich had an affair at the same time he was calling for President Clinton's impeachment for the same activity - it's come out that numerous other Republican congressman have as well.

Who cares - it means the same thing as Edwards' situation: nothing.

So are you excusing the hypocrisy on both sides of the aisle?

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 33):
Halls, would you not say the first several posters in this thread (sans Superfly) are loud Bush stalwarts?

Perhaps they are. But Bush isn't running in 2008, so I fail to see how Bush is relevant in this discussion.

planespotting

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:59 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 34):
So are you excusing the hypocrisy on both sides of the aisle?

I'm just saying - in politics, you pretty much have to realize and expect that one side's foolishness and ridiculousness will eventually be matched by the other sides...they cancel each other out, so to speak.

Of course, right now the Right has banked more than it's share of folly than the Left...give the other side a few years of power and it'll eventually end up the same way, unfortunately.

S12PPL

Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:10 am

Just one more example of liberal hypocrisy - do as I say not as I do.

Yeah... There's no republicans who are hypocrits, right? Give me a fricken break. Are you really that ignorant?
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

AeroWesty

Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:33 am

The WSJ has a front page article (sorry subscription only) today

The full article is here, available without subscription:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118728685546999884.html
International Homo of Mystery

halls120

Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:44 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 37):
Quoting Pope (Thread starter):The WSJ has a front page article (sorry subscription only) today
The full article is here, available without subscription:

Thanks for posting it.

Several interesting things can be found in the article.

Quote:
At the time in late 2005 when Mr. Edwards went to work for Fortress, it already had a stake in one subprime lender that subsequently foreclosed on some Katrina victims, Green Tree Servicing LLC. While he was there, Fortress acquired a second, Nationstar Mortgage LLC. Fortress paid Mr. Edwards $479,512 in 2006 for part-time work, a Federal Election Commission report in May showed.

and

Quote:
In the interview yesterday, Mr. Edwards said that when he first joined Fortress, "I made clear that I didn't want to have anything I was investing in to be antilabor or involved in predatory lending practices." But he added that he didn't fully understand the firm's complex operations, saying: "They're diverse. They're very diverse."

So did Edwards simply trust Fortress to do the right thing? Perhaps, but given his campaign on behalf of the poor, he should have made sure none of his money was involved in those "tainted" investments.

Equal time for the right.

Quote:
Mr. Edwards is hardly the only presidential candidate to field criticism over his business. Republican Mitt Romney has come under attack for his time at Bain Capital, a private-equity firm that has purchased companies and forced layoffs. He and Mr. Edwards, along with Illinois Democratic Sen. Barack Obama, have taken hits for investing in companies that did business in Sudan. Republican Rudy Giuliani has fielded criticism for his consulting company's or his law firm's associations with troubled businesses and with Venezuela, whose socialist leader harshly criticizes the U.S.

AeroWesty

Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:48 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 38):
Republican Rudy Giuliani has fielded criticism for his consulting company's or his law firm's associations with troubled businesses and with Venezuela, whose socialist leader harshly criticizes the U.S.

Shocking, isn't it?

"I just love the smell of sulphur at the U.N." should be Giuliani's new campaign slogan.
International Homo of Mystery

Falcon84

Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:54 am

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 7):
All politians are idiots, they lie for a living , after a while they forget what the truth is, look at the current US administration.

While I believe MANY are idiots and liars, I don't believe for a second all do. I really don't. I don't often agree with our senior Senator in Ohio, George Voinovich, but from what I've always seen, he's as honest and respectable as they come.

So I don't buy the "all of 'em are liars" broadbrush.

Bush just whisks it away into secrecy, or into dad's Presidential Library, where no one can reach it.  Smile
Work Right, Fly Hard

RJdxer

Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:13 pm

Hypocritical is when someone who purposely avoids combat sends thousands of men and women to die based on a lie.

There is so much wrong with that statement I don't know where to begin. Whever I begin the end will be the same, you cannot qualify the two nor call the person hypocritical. It does not even fit the definition. Hypocritical would be throwing someone elses medals over the White House fence during a war protest and holding on to your own at the same time.

Terribly sad, BTW, that we still have Katrina victims living in trailers).

If you take a drive along the gulf coast it will become excruciatingly clear that they will be living in trailers for quite some time. The level of destruction is so great that not even the federal government can over come it in an short amount of time.

I’m sure Edwards has TEAMS of financial advisors. I doubt he had in depth firsthand knowledge of this

And even if he did how is it his, or the lenders fault? If people willingly apply for loans they know they can't afford, whose fault is that when things go bad?

Perhaps, unlike you, President Bush does not think he is wrong. Perhaps, unlike you, he still realizes that we can win the war despite the democrats best efforts to lose it.

John Edwards is a self made man.

All it takes is one successful class action suit and you too can be a self made man.

Bush simply does not care about the underprivileged.

Sources? Facts?

Even though I was born to Northeast aristocracy.

I've always wondered why he is called a northeasterner when his father was in college when he was born and promptly moved to Texas after graduating. Is it the Presidents fault his parents did not move to Texas prior to his birth? Can anyone remember anything from the age of two? I can post the pictures of the house in MAF he spent his formative years if you wish.

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 33):
I save that for when members of the GOP are caught being child molesters and various other assorted criminal activities.

So I guess democratic child molesters, who get a standing ovation in a democratically controlled Congress get a free pass.

Of course all of this, with the exception of the lending practices is mute since this President can't run for office again even though virtually all the democratic contenders appear to be running against him for some strange reason at this point.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

Falcon84

Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:16 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 41):
So I guess democratic child molesters, who get a standing ovation in a democratically controlled Congress get a free pass.

Seriously, I don't know who you're talking about, RJ.
Work Right, Fly Hard

RJdxer

Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:06 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 42):
Seriously, I don't know who you're talking about, RJ.

Does Gerry Studs ring a bell?

BTW while I was fact checking I spotted this gem:

Foley Resigns, Bad News For The GOP
Falcon84
Reply 148, posted Thu Oct 5 2006
This thing has gone beyond the control of the GOP leadership. It has, probably, irrevocably damaged any credibililty they have with the American people, and MAY have turned a Democratic victory in the house this fall into a full-fledge route on the scale of 1994.

Let me know how much you're betting on the Browns to win Sundays this fall so I can double my bet on the other team.

Of course there's always Barney Frank and his boy toy as well.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

zak

Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:38 pm

i think a bit more "hypocrisy" would make alot more people happy.

fact is, we live in an investment driven world. you may or may not like it, but if you want to get the best RoI, you will want to invest by numbers. only if you have healthy numbers, you can usually allow yourself to have an opinion.
i was and am against the american crusade in iraq etc. does it make me a hypocrite in having invested in appropiate arms and defense related stocks after 9-11? i dont think so, i did not have any influence on the things that happened or the things that happened afterwards, so why should i feel guilty for making a cut on it? if i hadnt made the % of profit, somebody else would have.
in the investment market, it is ALL about money. if you dont make it out of a certain tendency. i have categorical objections against many things, but when its about making money on the market, yeah, i'll also invest into chinese factories who hold workers as slaves. looking at how things are related these days, any moral driven investment limitations are hypocritical, not the other way around.
10=2

allstarflyer

Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:53 pm

Quoting OU812 (Reply 1):
using his presidential run as an opportunity to put him in the spot light & make more money.

His wife seems to be doing well enough in getting vocal along with him.

At least he's making that move.

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 5):
Just another attempt by the whacko righties and Limbaugh loony ditto heads to take attention away from their sinking ship.

Return to sender - both sides are sinking ships, and America is forced to ride along. Time for a 3rd party.

Hypocritical is when someone who purposely avoids combat sends thousands of men and women to die based on a lie. Hypocritical is when people with 4 or 5 deferments criticize men like Kerry and Mutha (who both have a chest full of metals) and Cleland %u2013 who also has a chest full of metals and lost 3 limbs in Vietnam.

Not altogether bad, but something of a deflection - show us how Edwards isn't the hypocrite.

Quoting Pope (Reply 18):
He's got over 50% of his portfolio in these funds.

ouch  And that hurts him.
Living the American Dream

Falcon84

Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:00 am

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 43):
BTW while I was fact checking I spotted this gem:

Foley Resigns, Bad News For The GOP
Falcon84
Reply 148, posted Thu Oct 5 2006
This thing has gone beyond the control of the GOP leadership. It has, probably, irrevocably damaged any credibililty they have with the American people, and MAY have turned a Democratic victory in the house this fall into a full-fledge route on the scale of 1994.

Let me know how much you're betting on the Browns to win Sundays this fall so I can double my bet on the other team.

Of course there's always Barney Frank and his boy toy as well.

Question: who's in control of Congress now, RJ? The Democrats.

So, why are you crowing? That even DID help to run the GOP out of power.

Better pick better examples.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Pope
Topic Author

Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:19 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 36):
Yeah... There's no republicans who are hypocrits, right?

Did I ever say that? It seems that the only response Edwards supports have is that - Republicans do bad things too. I don't excuse the hypocrisy on the GOP side of the aisle; but unlike you guys I don't try to justify it on the basis that the Democrats do it as well.

Edwards is a hypocrite pure and simple. Whatever BS anyone else has done, doesn't excuse Edwards and doesn't make it acceptable.

S12PPL

Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:32 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 47):
Did I ever say that? It seems that the only response Edwards supports have is that - Republicans do bad things too. I don't excuse the hypocrisy on the GOP side of the aisle; but unlike you guys I don't try to justify it on the basis that the Democrats do it as well.

Edwards is a hypocrite pure and simple. Whatever BS anyone else has done, doesn't excuse Edwards and doesn't make it acceptable.

Well aren't you just a perfect angel...  Yeah sure

If you don't excuse the GOP's hypocrisy, then don't bother trying to make the democrats out to be such horrible horrible people. We all know that each side has done bad stuff. Why do you need to make it sound like the GOP is so perfect? All you're doing is trying to  stirthepot  It makes you look sad.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

Pope
Topic Author

Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:04 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 48):

If you don't excuse the GOP's hypocrisy, then don't bother trying to make the democrats out to be such horrible horrible people. We all know that each side has done bad stuff. Why do you need to make it sound like the GOP is so perfect?

How have I made the GOP sound perfect?

If you have something to say about the GOP feel free to start a thread and post it (as many do). But anything you have to say about the GOP doesn't negate Edward's hypocrisy. To argue otherwise is just an attempt to draw attention away from the issue.