CastleIsland
Topic Author

Corn On The Cob

Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:53 am

Damn!!! My local butcher and specialty grocer just got in some locally-grown corn, and it is the best stuff I've had in 15 years, if not ever. Tender, sweet, butter and sugar variety; absolutely melts in your mouth. The last time I had corn this good I was living in rural Connecticut and found some at a farm stand when driving back from a volleyball tournament. My buddy asked they guy how long he should boil it, and the farm stand guy said "Boil it??? Are you nuts?" We ate two ears apiece right then and there.

So, who's diggin' corn on the cob?
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

Tom12

RE: Corn On The Cob

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:21 am

Mmmmmmmm yeah I love Corn on the Cob, it is AMAZING!!! lol.

Tom
"Per noctem volamus" - Royal Air Force Bomber Squadron IX

kmh1956

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:23 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Thread starter):

Love it, love it, love it!! Try this some time: Pull back the leaves, remove the silk and coat the corn with either a chili butter or a pesto butter. Put the leaves back and grill the corn until it's crisp/tender.....really good!
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

CastleIsland
Topic Author

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:33 am

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 2):
Try this some time: Pull back the leaves, remove the silk and coat the corn with either a chili butter or a pesto butter. Put the leaves back and grill the corn until it's crisp/tender.....really good!

Thanks, Kelly. drool  I'll go for the pesto version; that sounds yummy .
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

MCOflyer

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:04 am

Thanks Kelly. I love Corn on the cob and sounds good.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

ScarletHarlot

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:04 am

A certain prior post of yours comes to mind. Apparently you were, but it wasn't on the cob.  Smile
But that was when I ruled the world

aa61hvy

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:42 am

Watching people eat corn on the cob is real awkward, lots of noises, odd faces, pieces of corn everywhere....
Go big or go home

CastleIsland
Topic Author

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:47 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 5):
A certain prior post of yours comes to mind. Apparently you were, but it wasn't on the cob.

Dear Harlot: If it ain't popped, it ain't scoffed... tongue 

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 6):
Watching people eat corn on the cob is real awkward, lots of noises, odd faces, pieces of corn everywhere....

Next time, go into the theatre that says LIVE WOMEN HOURLY.  Wink

Dougloid

Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:26 am

Central Iowa in July and August.....what more needs to be said? I'll buy em off the back of a pickup or at the farm gate and they're in a pot of boiling water inside of an hour. I like sprinkling them with a 50/50 mix of Lawry's garlic salt and chili powder....
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

comorin

Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:01 pm

Ahhh, the delights of summer! In the Northeast, I think the most popular variety of corn is Silver Queen, which has a sweet taste. It's important to to plunge this in boiling water as soon as possible after harvesting to stop enzymatic reactions in the kernel. Other local summer delights include peaches, blueberries and beefsteak tomatoes from NJ, and, can you believe it, NY State cherries.

Roasted corn is also delicious but I haven't found the right variety to roast yet.

JGPH1A

Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:12 pm

Corn on the cob is the only permitted method to consume corn (with one exception, as espoused in the Fatwaic Convention of 1171 where Imam Abdullah Bin Liner successfully argued for the acceptance of popcorn "be it popped verily within oil at the house of moving pictures, nor be it popped within its bag of finest woven paper in the wave that shall be called micro, it is blessed unto the All Seeing One; And let it be coated with translucent yellow goop, that shall not be butter, nor any natural product, but miscellaneous oozings that shall not be named"

Boiled corn on the cob is good, but so is roasted in foil on the barbecue, with lots of butter, salt and pepper. Mmmmmmmmm. We used to get excellent corn on the cob in South Africa, from mealie ladies on the street. MeeealllliiiIIIIIESSSSS !!!

I'm reading an excellent book at the moment called "1491" about pre-Columbian America, and apparently maize is entirely an engineered crop, bred specifically by native peoples, rather than a simple domestication of an existing wild crop. This, and their methods of farming, allowed Mesoamericans to enjoy an energy-richer diet than their European counterparts for thousands of years. Who even knew...
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

jfktowerfan
Editor

Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:29 pm

I like it on the grill then with lime butter with salt and pepper.....mmmm corn.

Corey
C'mon Man

Queso

Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:44 pm

Oh John, I feel so sorry for you. We have fresh corn here all the time. I like to just blanch it real quick in a pot of hot water, then roll it around on a plate that has a pat or real butter on it. My wife and daughter put chili powder on theirs but I think that's sacrilege!

JGPH1A

Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:02 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 12):
My wife and daughter put chili powder on theirs but I think that's sacrilege!

It IS sacrilege ! Alert the Feyadeen hordes immediately.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

AeroWesty

Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:07 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 10):
This, and their methods of farming, allowed Mesoamericans to enjoy an energy-richer diet than their European counterparts for thousands of years. Who even knew...

It wasn't just what they grew, but how they cooked it, that made the difference. The same corn was brought back from the New World, and people starved, because the nutrients weren't unlocked by the soaking in wood ash.

My local butcher and specialty grocer just got in some locally-grown corn

The stores here are full of Olathe corn this week--an odd-looking but tasty white and yellow corn!
International Homo of Mystery

Dougloid

Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:28 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 14):
My local butcher and specialty grocer just got in some locally-grown corn

The stores here are full of Olathe corn this week--an odd-looking but tasty white and yellow corn!

Is that what's called Peaches and Cream hereabouts? It is good, but I'm more partial to the pure white stuff. Iowa's the place if you like corn.

JGPH1A

Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:03 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 15):
Is that what's called Peaches and Cream hereabouts? It

No - this is a peach

This is corn. Spot the subtle difference...

It is good, but I'm more partial to the pure white stuff. Iowa's the place if you like corn.

Incorrect, proceed directly to Sharia court, do not pass Go, do not collect $200. Corn may only be yellow, this is the Law of the Medes and the Persians, and cannot be changed.

vaporlock

Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:05 am

Ah...up here in Ontario we are just loving the fresh "corn on the cob".

I also freeze lots so that we can have it thru fall and winter. It's easy to freeze....clean and drop in a big pot of boiling water for a minute or so....cool and freeze. When you want to eat it...take it out of the freezer and drop it in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes and bam you have great tasting corn on the cob!

Phyllis  bouncy 

galapagapop

Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:49 am

Funny you mention rural Connecticut corn, just picked up a box worth of fresh picked ears of the family's old warehouse in South Windsor. It's maybe a week under in terms of maturity, but I think the slightly sweeter taste is better IMHO. You gotta love CT valley corn and tobacco products, beats the pants off pretty much everything else! It's a shame so much of the farm land was sold off in the 80's and 90's, tobacco is seeing a huge rebound as good cigar's are now wrapped in CT tobacco leaves, not to mention with corn's popularity, corn is coming back strong as well. Just a tad to late though....

stlgph

Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:47 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 8):

Court Street Saturday morning. All I gotta say about that...
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Dougloid

Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:20 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 19):

Court Street Saturday morning. All I gotta say about that...

You got that right....even if our colleague thinks it's Fatwa Time, folks!

JGPH1A

Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:53 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 20):
You got that right....even if our colleague thinks it's Fatwa Time, folks!

It's ALWAYS Fatwah time - and talking in obscurities will only make things worse for yourself ! Confess your heresy and we shall show mercy - instead of being burnt alive and your ashes scattered to the four winds, you'll be burned alive and your ashes gathered in a small commemorative urn, and returned to your grieving family (who may well suffer the same fate, for grieving over the richly deserved punishment of a heretic !) - only the yellow maize is holy in Our Eyes, let the white maize be cast forth into outer darkness, for it is an Abomination !

L-188

Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:07 am

We aren't.

Corn doesn't grow very well up here. Corn needs nighttime to regenerate, with our long summers it just bolts and burns itself out.

Corn on the cob is the only permitted method to consume corn (with one exception, as espoused in the Fatwaic Convention of 1171 where Imam Abdullah Bin Liner successfully argued for the acceptance of popcorn "be it popped verily within oil at the house of moving pictures, nor be it popped within its bag of finest woven paper in the wave that shall be called micro, it is blessed unto the All Seeing One; And let it be coated with translucent yellow goop, that shall not be butter, nor any natural product, but miscellaneous oozings that shall not be named"

Remember that episode of MASH where Father Mulcahey had the garden and was growing corn in time for the 4th....then he made the mistake of letting Igor cook it?

You....You....creamed it!!!
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

JGPH1A

Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:11 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 22):
You....You....creamed it!!!

Evil ! Blasphemy ! Creamed corn is the boil-pus from Beelzebubs pimply butt cheeks !  vomit  Even mentioning it in public will net you a public flogging and 15 hours of community service.

dl021

Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:24 am

Me!

Dude...I've got the grill recipe down pat. Wrap it in foil loosely, and put a little water in the foil, and let it sit on the very hot grill for 20 minutes or so. Take it out....butter and salt it....and eat it straight off the cob before it gets cold.

If you wear dentures maybe you cut it off the cobb at your plate by slicing down sheets of kernels. This from a friend with a plate.

[Edited 2007-08-19 00:24:41]
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

SlamClick

Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:38 am

Been enjoying it lately, grilled, with a little cilantro butter.
Most tasty! One of the five best things about summer.

Can't eat corn on the cob in public though. Serious breach of couth.
Have to resort to Rykoff's finest out of the gallon can if I am to have it while dining out.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

garnetpalmetto

Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:09 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 13):
It IS sacrilege ! Alert the Feyadeen hordes immediately.

I hereby challenge the imam on this note! Grilled corn as prepared by Mexican eloteros is perhaps the only way I'll consume corn on the cob and makes simple "butter, salt, and mayo" look bland! To quote George Lopez:

"75 cents - a corn with butter, mayonnaise, chile, lemon, salt!" Had some at Cafe Habana in NYC last time I went up and the stuff is truly orgasmic.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

andz

Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:09 pm

Corn is great at a braai as JGPH1A alluded to, but I avoided it due to the struggle to butter it. Then one day I saw a good tip in a movie: coat a slice of bread with thick butter, sprinkle said buttered bread with whatever spices you want, hold the slice of bread in the cupped palm of your hand and roll the hot corn on the bread. Presto! Prefectly buttered corn.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

aaflt1871

Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:31 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 24):
Dude...I've got the grill recipe down pat. Wrap it in foil loosely, and put a little water in the foil, and let it sit on the very hot grill for 20 minutes or so. Take it out....butter and salt it....and eat it straight off the cob before it gets cold.

I substitute the water and put beer in its place and then Sprinkle Old Bay Seasoning on it instead of salt

Where did everybody go?

AeroWesty

Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:33 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 27):
Presto! Prefectly buttered corn.

I've tried many different ways to butter corn, but one way seems to work best, at least for me. I nuke the butter in an oval chop plate until it just starts to bubble, then twirl the corn in it. The butter is hot, the corn is hot, and you can redip it easily if you want. Dinner plates just don't work right for corn.
International Homo of Mystery

jafa39

Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:15 pm

Keep the leaves on, 7 mins in the microwave, remove leaves, put large knob of butter on a plate and roll it through the butter....eat...enjoy...drink beer....fart....be happy.....
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

jcs17

Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:43 pm

When I'm visiting our house in Cape Cod, nothing is better than Lobster and corn on the cob from a small market down the street. Otherwise, I could really care less about corn on the cob, let alone corn.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

JGPH1A

Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:36 pm

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 26):
I hereby challenge the imam on this note! Grilled corn as prepared by Mexican eloteros is perhaps the only way I'll consume corn on the cob and makes simple "butter, salt, and mayo" look bland! To quote George Lopez:

Your challenge is duly noted, and will be put before the Fatwaic Council after the necessary formalities have been concluded. Formalities include the usual repeated flagellation and torture of the challenger (to test his or her conviction that the challenge to Fatwaic Law is valid), the standard scorched earth policy (burning, looting, pillaging) toward the challenger's home and surrounding area (up to a radius of 50 miles in the case of a challenge to minor edicts, 100 miles for major laws, and 500 miles in a challenge to precedent). Please submit form FLC-0174J(ii), omitting subsections 47, 51 and 83 (these subsections refer only to challenges related to poultry, fish and egg Fatwahs). Do not forget to include your preferences for hand or ankle manacles (both may be offered, for a small supplementary charge), and also remember to tick the consent box for the waiver on involuntary third party damages incurred during the scorched earth process.

Thank you for your cooperation.

N1120A

Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:46 pm

Lots of specialty bi-color corn around here this time of year. Gigantic ears that are so incredibly sweet, it is like eating candy.

Boiled corn on the cob is good, but so is roasted in foil on the barbecue, with lots of butter, salt and pepper.

Good corn on the cob needs absolutely nothing added to taste amazing.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

JGPH1A

Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:50 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 33):
Good corn on the cob needs absolutely nothing added to taste amazing

Yes, but then it's just (shudder) sweetcorn.  yuck 

garnetpalmetto

Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:28 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 32):
Your challenge is duly noted, and will be put before the Fatwaic Council after the necessary formalities have been concluded. Formalities include the usual repeated flagellation and torture of the challenger (to test his or her conviction that the challenge to Fatwaic Law is valid), the standard scorched earth policy (burning, looting, pillaging) toward the challenger's home and surrounding area (up to a radius of 50 miles in the case of a challenge to minor edicts, 100 miles for major laws, and 500 miles in a challenge to precedent). Please submit form FLC-0174J(ii), omitting subsections 47, 51 and 83 (these subsections refer only to challenges related to poultry, fish and egg Fatwahs). Do not forget to include your preferences for hand or ankle manacles (both may be offered, for a small supplementary charge), and also remember to tick the consent box for the waiver on involuntary third party damages incurred during the scorched earth process.

Trust me on this one, JG - after you've had the stuff, you'd think all that would be worth it to defend it. Seriously - try to make the stuff sometime - the George Lopez list misses out on one key thing - cotija cheese (sort of a Mexican version of parmesan) - grill up some ears and put those condiments on there and you'll never eat corn any other way again.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

JGPH1A

Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:34 am

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 35):
Trust me on this one, JG - after you've had the stuff, you'd think all that would be worth it to defend it. Seriously - try to make the stuff sometime - the George Lopez list misses out on one key thing - cotija cheese (sort of a Mexican version of parmesan) - grill up some ears and put those condiments on there and you'll never eat corn any other way again.

Hmmm well I may be amenable to reserving judgement in this case - but where on earth am I going to get corn on the cob, never mind all the other ingredients, in France, in August ? There aren't exactly Mexican food shops on every street corner, and fruit 'n veg are strictly seasonal.

garnetpalmetto

Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:38 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 36):
Hmmm well I may be amenable to reserving judgement in this case - but where on earth am I going to get corn on the cob, never mind all the other ingredients, in France, in August ? There aren't exactly Mexican food shops on every street corner, and fruit 'n veg are strictly seasonal.

Hrm - you COULD do a mileage run to NYC, stop by the aforementioned Cafe Habana and have it along with some tasty Cuban cooking... Wink As for the cotija, I'm thinking you could probably substitute some parm for it as the taste profiles are similar - not the same but just close enough to not throw off the spirit of the dish.

JGPH1A

Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:57 am

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 37):
Hrm - you COULD do a mileage run to NYC

That would mean flying DL  yuck 

I have to go to Mexico in September for a week on business, I'll be sure to try it then, I promise.

Dougloid

Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:40 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 36):
Hmmm well I may be amenable to reserving judgement in this case - but where on earth am I going to get corn on the cob, never mind all the other ingredients, in France, in August ?

What were y'all doing with those cornfields in southern France during the Tour? Do folks not eat sweet corn in France? My godmother is Dutch and she always used to say "Oh, we feed this stuff to cattle in Europe" before she reached for a second ear.

N1120A

Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:50 am

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 26):
and mayo

Blasphemy. Mayonnaise is a good way to ruin any food consumed on earth.  vomit 

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 39):
My godmother is Dutch and she always used to say "Oh, we feed this stuff to cattle in Europe" before she reached for a second ear.

My grandmother said the same thing when she came from France. Guess what her favorite food soon became? Corn on the cob.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ORFflyer

Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:01 pm

I love it - any way, raw, or boiled.

Quick story - my cousin, grew up in Orlando. Back around 1980 as the story goes, she was a young teen and they were all at the Daytona 500. In a U-Haul rental truck in the infield - stayed in it like a camper for the whole week. Anyway, during the race, she ended up selling ears of corn, straight off the charcoal to everyone - $1.00 an ear. She made so much money, her dad started bringing extra bushels each year. Damn near paid for the trip he says. Kind of a stretch I think, but it's fun listening to the stories at family reunions....  biggrin 

halls120

Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:04 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 23):
Quoting L-188 (Reply 22):You....You....creamed it!!!
Evil ! Blasphemy ! Creamed corn is the boil-pus from Beelzebubs pimply butt cheeks ! ÊÊ Even mentioning it in public will net you a public flogging and 15 hours of community service.

I'm ambivalent on the issue of creamed corn. Wouldn't touch the stuff today, but as a child, it was one of the few bright spots on the school lunch menu.

We're getting many varieties of the good stuff right about now. Had some excellent bi-color corn this weekend.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

ScarletHarlot

Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:29 pm

I can has corms?

But that was when I ruled the world

KaiGywer

Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:14 pm

One good thing about living in Minnesota, no matter where you turn, you'll see a cornfield  Smile Mostly feedcorn though  Sad But they do have stands selling sweet corn  drool  But, in a pinch even feed corn is edible  Silly

I'll buy em off the back of a pickup

bigthumbsup 

Is that what's called Peaches and Cream hereabouts?

Sounds like it.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 33):
Good corn on the cob needs absolutely nothing added to taste amazing.

bigthumbsup 
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an