Superfly
Topic Author

For Those Who Think That Wikipedia Is Too Liberal

Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:32 am

Are you sick & tired of that left-wing liberal bias at Wikipedia?
If so, here is your source for information from a conservative point of view.  

http://www.conservapedia.com/Main_Page

I thought this was a joke when my friend emailed it to me but I am shocked that this is real.

Read what Wikipedia has to say about Conservapedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservapedia

[Edited 2007-08-21 17:34:28]
Bring back the Concorde

FlyDeltaJets87

RE: For Those Who Think That Wikipedia Is Too Liberal

Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:36 am

Maybe it's because I never use Wikipedia for anything more than a quick reference, but I've never viewed the website as even "liberal", yet alone "too liberal".
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

DeltaAVL

Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:38 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 1):
Maybe it's because I never use Wikipedia for anything more than a quick reference, but I've never viewed the website as even "liberal", yet alone "too liberal".

There's nothing liberal about Wikipedia. How can you label facts (whether they be true or not) as liberal or conservative?  Yeah sure
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

SlamClick

Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:41 am

Quoting Superfly (Thread starter):
Are you sick & tired of that left-wing liberal bias at Wikipedia?

Only when I read in an article about Nagasaki that the "fat man" bomb was later re-named the "obese gentleman" so as not to give offense.

Turned out to be a bogus entry.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

Klaus

Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:42 am

The underlying problem being that reality has been found to have an unbearably liberal slant which cannot be tolerated any more..!  hissyfit 

FlyDeltaJets87

Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:48 am

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 2):
There's nothing liberal about Wikipedia. How can you label facts (whether they be true or not) as liberal or conservative?

It's not always what is said, but how it's said, ie "spin". If you don't believe me, you must not watch and compare news sources.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

Asturias

Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:52 am

The only annoying thing about Wikipedia is that it is absurdly politically correct. It is so neutral that it strives to find neutrality where there isn't one and uses politically correct terms and/or opinions to enforce this perceived neutrality.

Many times articles are stamped with a 'neutrality disputed' disclaimer on top of the page if a politically correct solution can't be found.

I don't think this is a fundamental flaw with Wikipedia, but it is annoying. Sometimes the truth just isn't politically correct.

saludos

Asturias
Tonight we fly

WrenchBender

Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:56 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 4):
The underlying problem being that reality has been found to have an unbearably liberal slant which cannot be tolerated any more..!

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

airfoilsguy

Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:04 am

Additionally, the site had 9,000 registered usernames of which about 4,000 were permanently blocked.[9][10]

Sounds like a few people here are also members over there.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

Superfly
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:20 am

Klaus:
You seem to be the only here that sees the humor and irony in all of this! Big grin

There's nothing liberal about Wikipedia. How can you label facts (whether they be true or not) as liberal or conservative?

Agreed.
Bring back the Concorde

Klaus

RE: For Those Who Think That Wikipedia Is Too Libe

Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:24 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 9):
You seem to be the only here that sees the humor and irony in all of this!

In some ways the reactionary flat-earthers incorrectly calling themselves "conservative" are so bizarre it's actually entertaining again...!  silly 

Superfly
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:29 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 10):
In some ways the reactionary flat-earthers incorrectly calling themselves "conservative" are so bizarre it's actually entertaining again...!

Oh yes, they can be so hilarious. Then there is that creationist museum in Kentucky.
Bring back the Concorde

MKEdude

Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:41 am

Wikipedia is exactly as liberal as those who edit it deem it to be. And since anyone can edit articles on Wikipedia conservatives are welcome to come and write as much or as little as they want.

Part of the problem here is that some people look to Wikipedia as the ultimate oracle, a compendium of all human knowledge. It isn't. Wikipedia is a collaborative clearing house of information; some of it good, some of it not. Anybody going to Wikipedia must approach what they read with a healthy dose of skepticism and double check all sources. That is why most teachers and college professors rightly do not accept Wikipedia as an acceptable source in written assignments.

The other thing on display here is the culture of victimhood in conservative circles. It's the inverse of the old proverb of it being better to light a candle than to curse the darkness (or something like that). We've seen this before with Qtube a "conservative" version of YouTube (another open source institution) Conservatives are unhappy with some of the videos posted to the site, so instead of posting their own material to the site, which they are free to do, they take their bat and ball and run home to form their own site so they can lambast the former for having a liberal bias. The logic being that people are more sympathetic to victims than they are to victors. Therefore many conservatives believe that they can get farther by playing the ref then playing the game.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

777236ER

Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:46 am

Conservapedia is really really scary. The fact that people believe this nonsense, and don't even say it overtly but subtly and insidiously is dangerous and shows the mentality of some people who want to undermine science, truth and freedom.
Your bone's got a little machine

Flighty

Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:47 am

Wow, that is very interesting.

I think it is appropriate. Conservatism is just a code word, not for conservatism itself, but for a rejection of truth and knowledge. True conservatism embraces peace, freedom and human rights. Conservatism is a great thing.

But here in the USA, conservatism is a code word for horrible, quasi-religious thugs who despise freedom and peace. They also find truth (which is science) to be an obstacle to their ideologies, such as drug research using human tissue, such as evolution, global warming and other things. This code language has grown to mean that you can be mentally immature and proud of that fact, on a permanent basis. You can be a little child and never listen to the adults who actually know things. That is what conservatism means today.

AirportSeven

Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:00 am

According to Conservapedia, global warming is just a bunch of HOT AIR!

That's some good writing, Lou.

HT

Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:00 am

Quoting Superfly (Thread starter):
ttp://www.conservapedia.com/Main_Page

There are minimum a handful of statements on that main page for which I have a different opinion.
And, YES, I enjoy the p.c. that is being the standard rule on wikipedia.
For me, an encyclopedia should inform about facts not spell curses, but the Internet is a place of free speech and so conservapedia really might find its users - but I doubt that it will find many users outside the U.S. (and even within the U.S. there might be regions where the approval rate of that website might stay low).

In the end, no encyclopedia on the Internet can ever be as precise and political correct as the Encyclopedia Galactica. Just thing of that entry "Harmless" gotten changed to "Mostly harmless" ... Big grin
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

Superfly
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:07 am

Quoting MKEdude (Reply 12):
We've seen this before with Qtube a "conservative" version of YouTube

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!

Conservatives are unhappy with some of the videos posted to the site,

Oh Jesus.  Yeah sure

take their bat and ball and run home to form their own site so they can lambast the former for having a liberal bias. The logic being that people are more sympathetic to victims than they are to victors. Therefore many conservatives believe that they can get farther by playing the ref then playing the game.

This is how I always views Fox News (faux news).
Bring back the Concorde

FlyingTexan

Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:11 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 14):
But here in the USA, conservatism is a code word for horrible, quasi-religious thugs who despise freedom and peace. They also find truth (which is science) to be an obstacle to their ideologies, such as drug research using human tissue, such as evolution, global warming and other things. This code language has grown to mean that you can be mentally immature and proud of that fact, on a permanent basis. You can be a little child and never listen to the adults who actually know things. That is what conservatism means today.

bigthumbsup 

Wikipedia can either be a Democracy or total anarchy!

I note Karl Rove's entry is now locked. He tried to edit out the fact his dad was gay. He hates when facts get in the way of political agendas!

[GASP!]

Quote:
WikiScanner (short for Wikipedia Scanner)[1] is a tool created by Virgil Griffith and released on August 14, 2007,[2] which consists of a publicly searchable database that links millions of anonymous Wikipedia edits to the organizations where those edits apparently originated, by cross-referencing the edits with data on the owners of the associated block of IP addresses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Scanner
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

N1120A

Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:19 am

Honestly, Wikipedia looks more like it has been edited by 13 year old right wingers than any supposed "liberal bias".
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

HT

Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:32 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 19):
Honestly, Wikipedia looks more like it has been edited by 13 year old right wingers than any supposed "liberal bias".

Out of curiosity:
As wikipedia is available in different languages with articles for the same subject being technically independent (usually maintained by different users), how significant are the political differences for a given article in various languages ?
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

N1120A

Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:37 am

Quoting HT (Reply 20):
As wikipedia is available in different languages with articles for the same subject being technically independent (usually maintained by different users), how significant are the political differences for a given article in various languages ?

Haven't paid attention but I do know they simply translate a lot of the articles.

HT

Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:45 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 21):
Haven't paid attention but I do know they simply translate a lot of the articles.

This is not what I have seen for articles in German vs. English language ...
More languages hardly qualify for me as reading stuff on wikipedia.

fr8mech

Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:06 am

How can you label facts (whether they be true or not) as liberal or conservative?

How can a fact be 'not true'. By including such a 'fact' the editor tries to impart his particular agenda, whether political in nature or some other motive.

Also, any political statement can be viewed as either liberal or conservative. Take, for instance, and I'll paraphrase Mrs. Clinton, back in the early 2000's...

-The welfare rolls in this country have shrunk. Fewer people are on welfare.

To a conservative, this is a beautiful thing. More folks off the government tit and working for their money and sustenance. But to a liberal, it means that there aren't enough people applying for welfare, as Mrs. Clinton pointed out in her next sentence. I have no reference for this. It just sticks in my mind as the stark difference between the liberal and conservative.

Words have meaning.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

skyservice_330

RE: For Those Who Think That Wikipedia Is Too Libe

Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:31 am

Could any of the conservative members on the board (who believe Wikipedia is too liberal) provide an example of an article where a 'strong liberal bias' is present and explain how it is so?

HT

Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:46 am

Quoting HT (Reply 16):
In the end, no encyclopedia on the Internet can ever be as precise and political correct as the Encyclopedia Galactica. Just thing of that entry "Harmless" gotten changed to "Mostly harmless" ... 

Shame upon me !
"Harmless" and "Mostly harmless" aren't entries in the Encyclopedia Galactica but in that alternative manual commonly referred to as The Guide.
-HT

AirframeAS

Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:53 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 8):
Additionally, the site had 9,000 registered usernames of which about 4,000 were permanently blocked...

This is probably why the majority of U.S. universities and community colleges have banned Wikipedia as a source when writing papers or doing research, which I support.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

LTU932

Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:19 am

Forget about Conservapedia and Wikipedia. We should all just join this site. Big grin

http://www.rationalwiki.com/
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

Scorpio

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:39 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 26):
This is probably why the majority of U.S. universities and community colleges have banned Wikipedia as a source when writing papers or doing research, which I support.

The numbers you quoted refer to Conservapedia, not Wikipedia.

N231YE

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:55 pm

KaiGywer

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:36 am

Quoting N231YE (Reply 29):
Try Uncyclopedia

That's my favorite  Smile
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

N1120A

Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:40 am

That isn't why. The reason is that encyclopedias have never been seen as valid sources, as they are at best, tertiary. Wikipedia is that much worse because it is open edited.

Yellowstone

Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:54 am

One kind of funny thing... one of my classmates at college must be either the son or the nephew of the guy who created this Conservapedia site, since the classmate is a grandson of Phyllis Schafly. As one might expect, he's an arch-conservative as well.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

AirframeAS

Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:56 am

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 28):
The numbers you quoted refer to Conservapedia, not Wikipedia.

I never posted any numbers.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 31):
Wikipedia is that much worse because it is open edited.

Thats the main reason why universities and community colleges ban wikipedia.

Scorpio

Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:59 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 33):
I never posted any numbers.

Which is why I said

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 28):
The numbers you quoted

LTU932

Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:11 am

Quoting N231YE (Reply 29):
Try Uncyclopedia

That's even better!  bigthumbsup 
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

AirframeAS

Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:21 am

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 34):

I didnt quote nor posted any numbers. I didnt give a actual physical number like 3, 27, 120, or even the number 23,456,887!

BTW, the word 'majority' isnt a number, its a word. Look it up in the dictionary.  sarcastic 

Scorpio

Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:30 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 36):

Ah, so someone stole you member ID and made post number 26 with your ID. Better report this to the mods.

Seriously, you quoted the statement that

the site had 9,000 registered usernames of which about 4,000 were permanently blocked...

and gave that as the reason why universities don't accept Wikipedia as a source, while both the numbers referred to Conservapedia, and not to Wikipedia. Back where I live, both 9,000 and 4,000 are numbers, BTW.

LTU932

Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:34 am

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 37):
Seriously, you quoted the statement that

the site had 9,000 registered usernames of which about 4,000 were permanently blocked...

and gave that as the reason why universities don't accept Wikipedia as a source, while both the numbers referred to Conservapedia, and not to Wikipedia. Back where I live, both 9,000 and 4,000 are numbers, BTW.

No, you were quoting this guy:

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 8):
Additionally, the site had 9,000 registered usernames of which about 4,000 were permanently blocked.[9][10]

Scorpio

Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:36 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 38):
you were quoting this guy:

Who AirframeAS was quoting in reply 26. Exactly.

LTU932

Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:05 am

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 39):
Who AirframeAS was quoting in reply 26. Exactly.

My mistake. I misunderstood your post.

AirframeAS

Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:20 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 38):

Thank you. I was quoting somebody else. I didnt throw out numbers, somebody else did. End of discussion on that. Movin' on.  wave 

Scorpio

Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:56 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 41):

Dude, for the umpteenth time: that is why I said 'the numbers you QUOTED'. Anyway, no matter what semantics game you try to play, it still doesn't change one iota about the fact that your post 26, an your assertion that the 4,000 blocked users out of 9,000 were the reason colleges don't accept Wikipedia as a source, was simply wrong.

jamincan

Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:48 pm

That's just the thing, Wikipedia has a bit too much fact, and not enough truthiness.

exFATboy

Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:56 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 17):
This is how I always views Fox News (faux news).

In fairness, Fox News was a reaction to the bias of CNN - there are good reasons why it was referred to as the "Clinton News Network."

I don't have any problem with news media having some political leanings, so long as the basic facts are right and the leanings are acknowledged and open. The claims of "objectivity" by so many American newspapers are far more annoying.

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:32 am

Quoting ExFATboy (Reply 44):
In fairness, Fox News was a reaction to the bias of CNN - there are good reasons why it was referred to as the "Clinton News Network."

confused 
CNN had no bias in favor Clinton.
Bring back the Concorde

Klaus

Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:04 am

Quoting ExFATboy (Reply 44):
In fairness, Fox News was a reaction to the bias of CNN

It looks a lot more that Fox was a reaction to a perceived lack of aggressive far-right propaganda and a perceived abundance of factual reporting - and the sure remedied that...!  silly 

exFATboy

Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:50 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 45):
CNN had no bias in favor Clinton.

Suuuurrrrreee it didn't...

And Lou Dobbs is an objective, factual reporter who hasn't gone completely mad.

(That said, CNN is still a better network than Fox News.)