Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AA787823
Topic Author

Texas To Execute #400 Tomorrow

Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:32 am

The state of Texas is set to Execute its 400th prisoner since the indroduction of the deathpenalty in 1976....
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070820...;_ylt=AhAyv6o2MwiddmtfC6TNRfYFO7gF

ltbewr

RE: Texas To Execute #400 Tomorrow

Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:41 am

It's a sad commentary about Texas, their culture, the failures of their educational, social and criminal justice system that leads to the execution of so many people. I would question that several people may have been innocent of the crime they are or were executed for, didn't get sufficient counsel, faced prejudice, and an eye for an eye culture. This is in a state that has a very high percentage of so called Christians. It's a terrible paradox and a great shame for Texas.

Falcon84

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:05 am

Quoting AA787823 (Thread starter):

I'm sure some Texans are proud of this number. I sure as hell wouldn't be.

AA787823
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:11 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 2):
I'm sure some Texans are proud of this number. I sure as hell wouldn't be.

I read more on the case of this particular prisoner. He was not the trigger man, he was the driver of a car. This prisoner claims he did not know the other people he was with were going to commit murder. At the time the murder occured he was 100 yards or so away in a car.

Now to the numbers. I am for the death penalty in some cases, but with due process. IMHO the due process in this country takes long.

FlyingTexan

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:13 am

How many of those 400 were innocent? How many of those 400 were rich white people? How many of those 400 were used for political gain?

The death penalty costs more than life and has a clear socioeconomic bias.

AA787823
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:20 am

According to the web...most appear to be Black or Hispanic. Also the majority have little more than a high school education.

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/executedoffenders.htm

Klaus

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:24 am

EU urges Texas to halt executions before 400 mark - Yahoo! News

Quote:
"The European Union notes with great regret the upcoming execution in the State of Texas," the Portuguese presidency of the 27-nation bloc said in a statement.

[...]

"The European Union strongly urges Governor Rick Perry to exercise all powers vested in his office to halt all upcoming executions and to consider the introduction of a moratorium in the State of Texas," the EU statement said.

The European Union, which on Tuesday called the death penalty "cruel and inhumane," is opposed to all capital punishment and has called for its worldwide abolition.

I support this official position fully and wholeheartedly. Sad

skywatch

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:24 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6957390.stm

Apparently the EU complained to Texas about this.

It's good to see that my government saw how absurd it was to have the EU meddling with the Lone Star State!:

"But Robert Black, a spokesman for the Texas governor, told the BBC News website: "Two hundred and thirty years ago, our forefathers fought a war to throw off the yoke of a European monarch and gain the freedom of self-determination.

"Texans long ago decided the death penalty is a just and appropriate punishment for the most horrible crimes committed against our citizens.

"While we respect our friends in Europe ... Texans are doing just fine governing Texas."   

The death of anyone is a tragic thing, but capital punishment is a completely just. After all, isn't murdering innocent people "inhumane"? The people getting executed get less than they deserved....and people still think it's too hard of a punishment. Oh well, all to their own--I can't change anyone's morals.

---Skywatch

EDIT: spelling...and it looks like someone beat me to the punch!

[Edited 2007-08-22 04:25:11]

[Edited 2007-08-22 04:26:10]

Klaus

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:27 am

Quoting Skywatch (Reply 7):
After all, isn't murdering innocent people "inhumane"?

Exactly. Which is why no state can excuse doing it itself.

Numerous innocent people have been murdered by every state using the death penalty over the years, with no possibility of recourse.

It is a botch-job of revenge with no relation whatsoever to actual justice.  yuck 

NIKV69

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:27 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 1):
It's a sad commentary about Texas, their culture, the failures of their educational, social and criminal justice system that leads to the execution of so many people. I would question that several people may have been innocent of the crime they are or were executed for, didn't get sufficient counsel, faced prejudice, and an eye for an eye culture. This is in a state that has a very high percentage of so called Christians. It's a terrible paradox and a great shame for Texas.

Yea I guess making criminals pay for their crimes is a disgrace. Keep hanging them high Texas! Still one of my favorite states in the union. thumbsup 

Klaus

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:37 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 9):
Yea I guess making criminals pay for their crimes is a disgrace.

And the numerous innocents put to death have no value to you, then?  eyebrow 

But I know, if somebody's being lynched - pardon: executed - he just has to be guilty a priori; Because otherwise the state and the supporters of the death penalty would have innocent blood on their hands, and that just can't be possible, right?

AA787823
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:41 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 10):
And the numerous innocents put to death have no value to you, then?

There have been VERY FEW if any proven cases where innocent people were put to death.

skywatch

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:43 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 8):
Quoting Skywatch (Reply 7):
After all, isn't murdering innocent people "inhumane"?

Exactly. Which is why no state can excuse doing it itself.

So you're calling murderers and assassins innocent? Ok, so maybe there is a slight chance of an innocent person being executed. There's a slight chance I might run over an innocent, well-meaning pedestrian tomorrow as I am driving...but I still drive. (Bad analogy, I know  Yeah sure ) If one doesn't wanna live by the laws of a country, in this case, the death penalty, then I suggest moving to another country that fits their fancy. Every United States citizen has essentially agreed to these terms by the fact that they are still a citizen or not a politician pushing to change the laws. Break a law, get in trouble....

Note: These are my opinions, and I do hope that everything in here will be discussed with a level of respect. Once again, I can express my opinion, but I can't change a person's moral standing.

---Skywatch

Falcon84

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:43 am

Quoting AA787823 (Reply 5):
According to the web...most appear to be Black or Hispanic. Also the majority have little more than a high school education.

When rich people-especially rich white people, start to be executed for their crimes, then I may come out in favor of it. But it's the poor and minorities that bear the brunt of this.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 9):
Yea I guess making criminals pay for their crimes is a disgrace. Keep hanging them high Texas! Still one of my favorite states in the union.

You know, someone who gets so EXCITED about the death of anyone, has a more than a few screws loose.

Another reason Texas sucks. Their politicans seem to take glee in killing people. So do you, it seems.

skywatch

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:49 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 13):
Another reason Texas sucks

That's not gonna help take the bias out of this discussion! Big grin Texans are also very proud of their state. Saying that only makes them even more irrational! Trust me, I'm one of 'em!

---Skywatch

Queso

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:49 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 6):
EU urges Texas to halt executions before 400 mark - Yahoo! News

Dear EU:

Signed,
Texas.

Klaus

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:51 am

Quoting Skywatch (Reply 12):
Ok, so maybe there is a slight chance of an innocent person being executed. There's a slight chance I might run over an innocent, well-meaning pedestrian tomorrow as I am driving...but I still drive.

If you're driving with the intention of killing people, then you're simply a criminal. And the same is true for a state intentionally killing people, especially knowing that any legal system has a significant rate of mistakes and miscarriages of justice.

Quoting Skywatch (Reply 12):
Break a law, get in trouble....

Don't break any laws and still run the risk of getting killed intentionally if you're unlucky enough to be falsely convicted.

If human legal systems were 100% flawless in dispensing justice (which is far, far from reality even under the best conditions), the death penalty might be debatable from certain points of view. But since every legal system in existence and in history is and was inherently flawed, that debate cannot even be started.

Falcon84

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:54 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 15):
Dear EU:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h56/kmaf/Crap/finger.gif

Signed,
Texas.

Maybe Texas should stick that finger up their own ass? They're the ones who look like blood-thirsty barbarians. And you're proud of that? Talk about a sad "state" of affairs.

Plus, it's that macho, arrogant attitude that has us in so much trouble around the world.

Klaus

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:55 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 15):
Dear EU:

Oh, we know. But since that reaction is perfectly in line with chinese, russian, cuban and many other reactions to criticism of human rights violations, it doesn't make you look that much more righteous, really.

torquewrench

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:59 am

Some say that capital punishment is not a deterent to crime. I could not disagree more. Consider this.........
Have you EVER seen one of those sob's get up off of the death gurney and do it again? Me either.

Just for the sake of discussion here is an alternative. How about once an individual has been arrested, tried and convicted, instead of sending him/her to death row, simply release them to the custody of the next of kin of the victim(s) with the stipulation that for the next 30 days they may do whatever they will to or with the cnvicted without penalty. Sure there would be some sympathetic souls that would forgive and release the person. But my guess is that many would make the condemned pay dearly for the crime. Of the ones who are released by sympathisors, I believe it would be only a matter of a short time before they do it again and get their just reward for the deads they have done.

Queso

Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:01 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 17):
Maybe Texas should stick that finger up their own ass? They're the ones who look like blood-thirsty barbarians.

No, Texans are among the only ones who are responsible enough to stand up to their problems with a firm hand.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 17):
Plus, it's that macho, arrogant attitude that has us in so much trouble around the world.

That macho, arrogant attitude is what made the United States great over the past 200+ years. And if the U.S. still had that macho, arrogant attitude, it would be as great and respected as it once was. It's the peaceniks and pacificts who have watered down justice and made it to where the judicial system no longer has any teeth and the tough consequences criminals used to fear are now just a slap on the hand.

Klaus

Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:19 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 20):
That macho, arrogant attitude is what made the United States great over the past 200+ years. And if the U.S. still had that macho, arrogant attitude, it would be as great and respected as it once was.

You don't get out much, do you?  eyebrow 

During the past six years the US government has displayed exactly that attitude (coming right from Texas) to the world. And exactly that attitude - being egoistic, brutal and ruthless without reasoning, promoting torture without moral scruples, waging war without legitimacy and last but not least acting incompetently and unsuccessfully - has wrecked your own interests to an extent which is deeply troubling.

An earlier incarnation of my own country had driven all those mistakes to the extreme, and I can only warn you to abandon this path; It doesn't lead anywhere you would ever want to be.

skywatch

Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:26 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 16):
If you're driving with the intention of killing people, then you're simply a criminal. And the same is true for a state intentionally killing people, especially knowing that any legal system has a significant rate of mistakes and miscarriages of justice.

Like I said, bad analogy! Big grin

Quoting Klaus (Reply 16):
Don't break any laws and still run the risk of getting killed intentionally if you're unlucky enough to be falsely convicted.

If human legal systems were 100% flawless in dispensing justice (which is far, far from reality even under the best conditions), the death penalty might be debatable from certain points of view. But since every legal system in existence and in history is and was inherently flawed, that debate cannot even be started.

If you live your entire life by the "but what if?" theory, then no progress would be made. Evaluations, assumptions, and educated guesses will be part of any government and its judicial system until humans cease to exist.

---Skywatch

Tom12

Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:28 pm

I feel bad for the innocent victoms of execution but i also think that it is an excellent thing. People fear it which could prevent them from doing something they will live to die for.

I think if it were here in the UK there would be a greater respect for the law.

Besides, in Texas it is at least 350 bad people the goverment don't need to pay for  Smile

Tom

57AZ

Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:29 pm

. It's the peaceniks and pacificts who have watered down justice and made it to where the judicial system no longer has any teeth and the tough consequences criminals used to fear are now just a slap on the hand.

Actually, if you examine most capital offenders you will find that fear of capital punishment was not a mitigating factor in their commission of the crime.

That macho, arrogant attitude is what made the United States great over the past 200+ years.

You forgot to observe that our population, especially the leaders, were probably much more intelligent than the majority now. There was no such thing as social promotion in school-you got as far as you deserved to go and those who graduated from high school were very well prepared to be productive citizens. If you were fortunate enough to attend university, you certainly were much more respected than most university graduates are now. Myself, I am a fifth generation college graduate-my paternal great-great grandfather, great grandfather, grandfather and father precede me. My great-great grandfather and father both earned a PhD in their respective fields, I have a MS and I don't know about my grandfather or great grandfather for certain, but I do know that they did at least earn a BS. The reason that my great-great grandfather got to go to university (good grades aside) was that as a young man, he suffered terrible mishap and lost his right arm to a thresher. That being the case, the family realized that he would no longer be able to earn a living doing any sort of physical labor, so they came up with the money to send him to university.

Springbok747

Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:29 pm

Why is 400 so special? Its just another number. Why is this getting so much coverage..that the EU has to complain to Texas?

Where are the stories regarding the ripple effects of the heinous crimes that these murderers were executed for committing? Who is counting the victims?

Klaus

Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:30 pm

Quoting Skywatch (Reply 22):
Like I said, bad analogy!

No, actually not that bad at all.

Quoting Skywatch (Reply 22):
If you live your entire life by the "but what if?" theory, then no progress would be made. Evaluations, assumptions, and educated guesses will be part of any government and its judicial system until humans cease to exist.

So you're completely fine with having innocent people intentionally killed? And among the guilty ones only those who are poor, black or hispanic?

That is not something I would tolerate in my country.

NWA742

Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:36 pm

It's a sad commentary about Texas, their culture, the failures of their educational, social and criminal justice system that leads to the execution of so many people.

rotfl 

I would question that several people may have been innocent of the crime they are or were executed for, didn't get sufficient counsel, faced prejudice, and an eye for an eye culture.

And what basis would you have for this?

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 4):
How many of those 400 were rich white people?

What a bullshit statement. How many rich white people in the US commit crimes punishable by death?

Quoting AA787823 (Reply 5):

Probably that way in every other state that has the death penalty. Minorities and/or uneducated individuals represent, by far, the highest percentage of people who commit violent crimes.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 6):
EU urges Texas to halt executions before 400 mark

Thanks for the advice.  Yeah sure

When rich people-especially rich white people, start to be executed for their crimes, then I may come out in favor of it.

Again, how many rich white people commit crimes punishable by death? Let's hear it.

Also, tell that to Scott Peterson now. He's not rich, but he isn't exactly a poor, uneducated minority, either.

But it's the poor and minorities that bear the brunt of this.

That's because they commit the brunt of the violent crime. Gotta love the liberal sense of mind. Poor minorites are responsible for the wide majority of violent crime, and somehow they are the ones being executed more often! What a pickle! That must mean racism! Texas sucks!

Yeah sure

Falcon, usually I'm quick to say you're a smart character. But when you start the "Texas can just fall of the map and everything will be better off" attitude, it really sucks. And don't think of me as the overly proud of Texas guy, either. I hate most of the people around who take pride in this state for all the lame reasons that they do. Not only that, there are many places in the US which I would be quite happy living in rather than here. I consider myself an American, not a Texan.

No, Texans are among the only ones who are responsible enough to stand up to their problems with a firm hand.

That macho, arrogant attitude is what made the United States great over the past 200+ years. And if the U.S. still had that macho, arrogant attitude, it would be as great and respected as it once was. It's the peaceniks and pacificts who have watered down justice and made it to where the judicial system no longer has any teeth and the tough consequences criminals used to fear are now just a slap on the hand.

checkmark 

Finally, some sense in this thread.

-NWA742

skywatch

Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:38 pm

Quoting Tom12 (Reply 23):
Besides, in Texas it is at least 350 bad people the goverment don't need to pay for

It could be put in more respectful terms due to the the fact that these are human lives, but then again, you're right! And I thought the Europeans would be pleased with our "carbon footprint" reduction by cutting down on our population.  Wink (Don't quote me on that! I just couldn't resist!) If handbag stealers, rapists, vandals, and speeders were put on the chopping block, then wouldn't the air be cleaner and the streets safer? Big grin My brother attended an environmental science course last semester, and the prof said the ideal earth population was 500,000. Better get busy!

NOTE: this entire post was satirical. If anyone is offended, let me know and I'll yank it.

---Skywatch

Klaus

Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:38 pm

Quoting Tom12 (Reply 23):
I feel bad for the innocent victoms of execution but i also think that it is an excellent thing. People fear it which could prevent them from doing something they will live to die for.

Empirical evidence speaks against that theory.

Capital punishment doesn't prevent crime. Crime rates haven't gone up where it has been abolished.

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 25):
Why is 400 so special? Its just another number. Why is this getting so much coverage..that the EU has to complain to Texas?

Because it is a sort of "milestone", as infamous as it is. Similar protests are launched at other countries which violate human rights.

Where are the stories regarding the ripple effects of the heinous crimes that these murderers were executed for committing? Who is counting the victims?

Revenge, justice and legality are three entirely separate matters. A state cannot murder and put itself on the same level as the ones it convicts. The killing of convicts only serves a diffuse idea of revenge, nothing else. And even that just badly.

Klaus

Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:42 pm

Quoting Skywatch (Reply 28):
And I thought the Europeans would be pleased with our "carbon footprint" reduction by cutting down on our population.   (Don't quote me on that! I just couldn't resist!)

"Extermination" of people deemed unworthy to live... where have I heard that before... wait - don't tell me yet...!  Yeah sure

Quoting Skywatch (Reply 28):
NOTE: this entire post was satirical. If anyone is offended, let me know and I'll yank it.

Satire? Really? In that case it's been a bit weak compared to the serious statements by others...

NWA742

Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:43 pm

Great point, Springbok, and ever so true. But haven't you heard? Victims don't mean shit with some of the members you see participating in this thread. It's all about the criminals and whatever potential they have for being mistreated. If not that, the fact that they tend to be poor, uneducated minorites - as if that's some sort of reason why they shouldn't be held to the law like everybody else.

Kind of reminds me of the laughable reactions of the bleeding hearts when illegals get deported.

-NWA742

NWA742

Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:51 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 29):
The killing of convicts only serves a diffuse idea of revenge, nothing else.

What about closure for the victims?

That's enough for me to justify it. That's all it takes - forget paying for the crime, forget revenge, and think of the victims.

Some father loses his kid to some asshole robbing a convenience store, and tells me that seeing the criminal pay with death for what he did will help bring closure, I'll put the needle in myself.

-NWA742

57AZ

Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:12 pm

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 32):

Actually, from all the victims that I have heard of (reported and otherwise), closure is something that is never completed in this lifetime. In fact, it is equally argued that the execution of a condemned inmate does make things emotionally harder for the victims as they become lost in the background to the arguments over capital punishment and the appeals process. All of the attention is focused on the criminal and the criminal justice system, leaving the individual victims in the shadows. I say that because in a criminal matter, the plaintiff is always the state. In fact, focus on individual victims has only been addressed in the last twenty years or so. Individual victims now have the right in many states to make impact statements to the court before sentence is passed-twenty years ago, the victims had no role in the formal criminal justice system. While this helps the victims to heal, nothing man can do can bring about complete closure unless the affected party decides that for themselves.

Falcon84

Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:13 pm

Quoting Torquewrench (Reply 19):
Some say that capital punishment is not a deterent to crime. I could not disagree more.

If it's such a great deterrent, then why are death row lists growing?

You're wrong. It's not a dettrrent. A deterrent, by definition, means it stops others from doing the same thing.
The only thing it's good for is getting politicians elected on the blood of others', and fueling the blood lust of those who have this perverted want to see people die.

rotfl 

NO, it means many Texans just like seeing people die to fuel their machismo about law enforcement. And it's not ridding you of the problem-is it? So what good is it? You just like seeing people fry?

That macho, arrogant attitude is what made the United States great over the past 200+ years.

Haha! Bullshit. It's what gets us into trouble, it isn't what makes us great. If you really think that, you don't understand what built this country, dude. That's painfully obvious.

It's the peaceniks

Yes, those who want peace-such a strain on this world. Maybe if "warniks" like yourself, and those who take joy out of inflicting punishment and death on others would go away, this globe would have a chance.

One of the Ten Commandments said "Thou Shalt Not Kill". It didn't specify what kind of killing. So, in essence, Texas can be considered an evil place under some basic tennants of humanity. But keep up your lust for war and killing. It becomes you, dude.

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 27):
But when you start the "Texas can just fall of the map and everything will be better off" attitude, it really sucks.

ROTFL. Like I care what you think on that. And Texas can fall off and take California with it. The only reason I have any use for Texas is my company is based there. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't care if it just dissapeared, such an embarrassment to this nation I think it is.

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 27):
Finally, some sense in this thread.

I'll turn it around-I thought you were smarter than that. If you really believe such an extremists position, then your a sad soul for it.

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 32):

Killing someone doesn't bring back the loved one, or did you miss the memo on that.

Oh, forgot. Arrogant. Macho. Good thing.  Yeah sure

NWA742

Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:20 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 34):
such an embarrassment to this nation I think it is.

ROTFL. Like I care what you think on that. And Texas can fall off and take California with it. The only reason I have any use for Texas is my company is based there. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't care if it just dissapeared

I'll turn it around-I thought you were smarter than that. If you really believe such an extremists position, then your a sad soul for it.

Speaking of embarrassments and extremist positions.... rotfl 

I'll just let that speak for itself.

Killing someone doesn't bring back the loved one, or did you miss the memo on that.

I didn't know the term 'closure' in the context of this subject had anything to do with bringing back a loved one. Oh wait, perhaps you didn't get the memo on that.

Oh, forgot. Arrogant. Macho. Good thing.

Oh yes, going easy on murderers, rapists, thieves, low-life scumbags............even better.

-NWA742

Springbok747

Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:29 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 29):
Revenge, justice and legality are three entirely separate matters.

Why should the scum who committed the crime have the luxury of living the rest of his life in prison - where he gets 3 meals a day, and has a roof over his head? So what if the death penalty is revenge (which it isn't anyway)...what about the rights of the victim? Like I said before - who's counting the victims?

NWA742

Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:31 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 36):
Like I said before - who's counting the victims?

Quite obvious to me who is and who isn't in this thread.

Stupidity is reigning - sad really.

-NWA742

modernArt

Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:55 pm

Where's the E.U.'s concern for 400+ innocent victims and their families that never had a say in their futures.

The only reason I have any use for Texas is my company is based there.

...and that the man that is often credited (and rightly so) for the very existance of that company today - was born - and educated - in Texas. Aghast, a native Texan saves the day.

Slovacek747

Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:57 pm

Thats it? Damn we need to be building freeways to death row. Get rid of the scum bags. Damn proud to say I'm from Texas and we use the death penalty. People should get one appeal and wala your gone. None of this bs of sitting on death row for 20 years.

Slovacek747

Slovacek747

Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:00 pm

It would be a big deterrent if they didn't sit on death row for 20 years. If they knew a year after being caught they would be dead I know severe criminal activity would drop.

57AZ

Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:46 pm

Actually, it probably would not. Criminals are not exactly known for rational thinking and for some of them, their accepted values (if you can call them that) are much different from the rest of us in society. The criminals are not looking long term or even short term. They're going to do what it takes for them to get what they want, regardless of the penalties. I mean, drug smuggling still goes on (albeit at much lower levels) in Indonesia, even though the smugglers have to be aware that it is a capital offense there.

Mir

Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:03 pm

Quoting Slovacek747 (Reply 40):
It would be a big deterrent if they didn't sit on death row for 20 years. If they knew a year after being caught they would be dead I know severe criminal activity would drop.

When you limit the number of appeals or set a time limit, you dramatically increase the risk that an innocent person will be executed.

The Innocence Project has a list of people whose convictions were overturned by DNA evidence ( http://www.innocenceproject.org/know/Browse-Profiles.php ). Not all of them were death row inmates, but it does speak to the amount of time it can take to prove someone's innocence - you will not find a conviction there that was overturned in a year; very few were overturned even in five years.

Faster executions would be a more effective deterrent, but they would also carry side-effects that are morally and socially unacceptable.

-Mir

AustinAllison

Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:05 pm

When someone commits murder, especially if it is pre-meditated, they should pay the ultimate price, because no prison sentence will ever be enough to relieve the grief the criminal put on the victims family and friends. If a member of my family was murdered, and the death penalty was an option I would be all for it. I am a supporter of the death penalty, and not surprisingly a Texan. Sure, there are a few situations where innocent people are put to death, but then again their is a possiblity the man a McDonald's will mess up my order tomorrow, mistakes happen in almost every situation, they are inevitable. But should the whole system be put down because one or two mistakes? No. Should a 16 year old new driver on the road have their license taken away for forgeting to turn on their blinker once or twice? No. Nothing is perfect.

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

If you commit a crime, you must be willing to pay for it if you get caught.

It's as simple as that. No arguments.

I'm not saying you are wrong in not believing in the death penalty, because everyone has different opinions.

Texans aren't arrogant, we're just better than everyone else.  Smile

airtran737

Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:35 pm

Dear Texas,

Congratulations on your upcoming 400th execution. I t has taken you a long time to get there but you have persevered as a state and have done it. Here's to #500, telling the EU to blow it out their rear, and to the possibility of bringing back old sparky. Throw the switch and watch 'em twitch.

AirTran737

sebolino

Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:52 pm

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 44):
Dear Texas,

Congratulations on your upcoming 400th execution.

I agree. One Texan less.  Big grin

Mir

Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:05 pm

Quoting AustinAllison (Reply 43):
Sure, there are a few situations where innocent people are put to death, but then again their is a possiblity the man a McDonald's will mess up my order tomorrow, mistakes happen in almost every situation, they are inevitable. But should the whole system be put down because one or two mistakes? No.

Some situations are more tolerant of mistakes than others. Forget to carry a digit on a math test and you'll get a lower grade, but if you forget to carry a digit when calculating the trajectory of a spacecraft, you miss the target and waste millions of taxpayer dollars. If the guy at McDonalds messes up your order, it may be a pain in the ass, but nobody dies. Screw up a death penalty conviction, and somebody does actually die who didn't do anything to deserve it. To draw any comparison in error tolerance between the two is simply ridiculous. In situations where human life is involved, one or two mistakes is not acceptable.

Quoting AustinAllison (Reply 43):
When someone commits murder, especially if it is pre-meditated, they should pay the ultimate price, because no prison sentence will ever be enough to relieve the grief the criminal put on the victims family and friends.

No death sentence will ever be enough to relieve the grief either. But that's irrelevant, because the government should not be dealing in vengeance.

-Mir

Falcon84

Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:12 pm

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 44):
Dear Texas,

Congratulations on your upcoming 400th execution. I t has taken you a long time to get there but you have persevered as a state and have done it. Here's to #500, telling the EU to blow it out their rear, and to the possibility of bringing back old sparky. Throw the switch and watch 'em twitch.

God Almighty, but that is one of the sickest posts I've ever read on here.

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 35):
Oh yes, going easy on murderers, rapists, thieves, low-life scumbags............even better.

Didn't say that. Put them in solitary for life. That's a worse punishment in my mind.

777236ER

Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:40 pm

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3472872.html
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/s...chi-tx-1-story,0,4563517.htmlstory
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/seanpa...enneth-foster-jr-an-i_b_58655.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/03/us...138&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss
http://www.campusprogress.org/page/community/post/jr/C3BN

Generally:http://www.innocenceproject.org/

Undoubtedly, Texas and others have executed innocent people. It then becomes state-sponsored murder, something traditional right-wing people would completely balk at. Instead we have neo-liberalistic, almost fascist people who seem to think that the odd innocent person murdered is OK as long as the greater good is done.

Queso

Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:24 pm

OK, as a proud Texan, let me bottom-line this for you "enlightened" people who do not live here and have no clue as to how things are here.

First off, Falcon, don't PM me saying "Man, but you are sick puppy, dude." If you want to debate this, do it here. PM'ing me in that manner breaks forum rules by insulting another member and it's also flamebait. VERY disrespectful.

If you Europeans or anyone else in the world don't want to use the death penalty, that's just fine. It's your country and that's why there are different political subdivisions in the world. If those of you in other states don't want to use the death penalty, that's just fine. It's your state and that's why there are different political subdivisions in the US. But Texans by and large are comfortable with the death penalty and we find it to be the means we prefer to deal with the most egregious offenders. Don't tell us how to run our state and we won't tell you how to run yours.

The death penalty would not be necessary if everyone was peaceable and never committed heinous crimes but that's not the way it is here. Maybe (likely) there are fewer violent offenders in other parts of the world and that's wonderful but that's not how it is here. Unless you live here you do not understand so don't even TRY to think you can condemn our system of justice.

How many of you knew someone who has been put to death via the death penalty? I did. I know a man who was a friend of a my family, committed a very horrible crime against someone else my family knew, and was put to death for that crime (352nd Texas execution). I talked to him while he was in jail for that crime and he knew he needed to die for the crime he committed. That did not keep him from exhausting available legal avenues to avoid the death penalty but he still knew what the penalty was for his crime and he knew it was fair. And I am COMPLETELY and TOTALLY comfortable knowing that his life was taken by my and fellow Texan's hands. I've never lost a wink of sleep over it and never will.

R. I. P., Jennifer.

http://www.clarkprosecutor.org/html/death/US/white990.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melvin_White
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/whitemelvin.htm

Do you know how easy it would be for Texans to vote in a new set of legislators that would overturn the death penalty? We're not going to do it. That's not how we want our state run. And although it could be forced on us by rulings from the Supreme Court, it would not be the way we want things done here.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 21):
An earlier incarnation of my own country had driven all those mistakes to the extreme, and I can only warn you to abandon this path; It doesn't lead anywhere you would ever want to be.

You really surprise me, Klaus. I respect you less because you would even attempt to compare the ethnic cleansing of the Nazis to criminal executions carried out by a democratically elected government. I would have expected a more intelligent, fact-based argument from you. The death penalty has worked for Texans for 170+ years and will continue to work for us.