Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mirrodie
Topic Author

Haiti- From Bad To Worse

Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:22 am

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20293963/

Seems this nation just cannot get it together. Sad to see its youth suffer.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

Flighty

RE: Haiti- From Bad To Worse

Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:16 am

Haiti is a screwed up country. It is really sad about their situation.

Interestingly the Dominican Republic (on the same island) is much more forested and enjoys lots of tourism dollars. The DR is not a rich country, but it is far better off than Haiti. Why is that I wonder?....

MaverickM11

Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:02 am

I actually heard the opposite, child slavery aside, that Haiti was actually getting better, relatively speaking. The major gang ridden slum of Cite de Soleil (that may or may not be the name) has gotten safer such that UN troops no longer have to enter the slum in armoured vehicle and can patrol it on foot.
I don't take responsibility at all

Alias1024

Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:04 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 1):
Interestingly the Dominican Republic (on the same island) is much more forested and enjoys lots of tourism dollars. The DR is not a rich country, but it is far better off than Haiti. Why is that I wonder?

Good observation about the forest. That is actually a big part of Haiti's problems. If you can, find the book "Collapse" by Jared Diamond. An entire chapter is devoted to the differences between Haiti and the Dominican Republic, and how a wrecked environment is responsible for much of Haiti's problems.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

PPVRA

Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:08 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 2):

Security/stability-wise it might, but there is still a long road ahead for them. Very sad indeed.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

mirrodie
Topic Author

Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:35 pm

It is really sad about their situation.

It really is. I can't remember a time in my life where it was table past 1987 or so. Dare I say it seems that it fared much better under a dictatorship?
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

extspotter

Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:24 am

There are many haitians living in the DR. When I was there a few weeks back, most of the cleaners in our hotel were from Haiti or had Haitian parents.
AF BE BY FR MV PD SZ U2 VZ DHC6, 8-3/4Q, 732/8, 763ER, A319, A380

skywatch

Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:21 pm

Interestingly the Dominican Republic (on the same island) is much more forested and enjoys lots of tourism dollars. The DR is not a rich country, but it is far better off than Haiti. Why is that I wonder?....

I lived there for two months, as my father does extensive mission work there. When Columbus discovered Hispanola, he called Haiti one of the most beautiful places he had seen. It had lush forests, was rich in minerals, and had an abundance of wildlife. However, when Haiti gained independence from France, it was a start to a long history of chaos and disorder. Due to a lack of modern conveniences, such as electricity, coupled with a lack of government regulation on deforestion, almost all wood in Haiti (especially central Haiti) ends up as firewood. Entire mountains are bare, and erosion is a major issue. To make matters worse, the lack of rainforests and the humidity generated by these has caused an entirely new climate to develop. Now, it is not unusual for significant droughts to take place, which is an oddity considering the fact that it is a tropical island.

As for the servitude (slavery) issues, I have heard of these before. It is truly tragic. To think that a nation conceived from the will to be free from slavery has returned to the same horrors that gave them the will to die for freedom is hard to grasp. The sad thing is, no amount of financial or material aid has helped any of Haiti's problems in the long run. Due to government corruption (it is the world's most corrupt government), almost all internationally provided aid never reaches its destination.

---Skywatch
------Forever Watchin' The Sky------

md90fan

Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:55 pm

Sad place, i remember hearing that in the slums people make dirt pies (literally) and all kinds of weird things go on, such as hammers doused with cursed chicken blood hitting UN Brazilians APCs and causing them to break down, women getting raped in graveyards at night, people drinking juice out of condoms, etc.

Quoting EXTspotter (Reply 6):
There are many haitians living in the DR. When I was there a few weeks back, most of the cleaners in our hotel were from Haiti or had Haitian parents.

Yep, D.R has 1,000,000 Haitians. Most Dominicans are racist towards them, for instance they celebrate independence from Haiti who colonized them for 22 years rather than the Spaniards who imposed their customs, language, religion, etc on them and colonized them for 340+ years.

Anyways, Haiti needs to be fixed, because I'm getting tired of them coming to The Bahamas, we only have 320,000 people and up to 100,000 are Haitian now!
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

TransIsland

Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:55 pm

The one thing I've got to give our former Minster of Foreign Affairs credit for is that he tried to negotiate a compromise between the warring factions in Haiti, as he was probably the only Bahamian to realise that Haitians ain't coming here because the Bahamas is the land of milk and honey, but because Haiti is anything but.

If you look at Haiti's history, it becomes apparent that the poverty today is not just caused by corrupt governments but also by European exploitation ever since Columbus saw its shoreline on the horizon. In the terms of independence, France made sure that it'd be compensated for its "loss."
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

MaverickM11

Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:50 pm

Quoting TransIsland (Reply 9):
but also by European exploitation ever since Columbus saw its shoreline on the horizon

Couldn't that be said of every country in the Western Hemisphere?
I don't take responsibility at all

Superfly

Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:01 pm

Sad to hear how bad things are in Haiti. I was in Haiti once and saw the most sickening poverty I have ever seen. Haiti is the poorest and only 3rd. world nation in the Western hemispshere.
Bring back the Concorde

TransIsland

Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:28 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 10):
Couldn't that be said of every country in the Western Hemisphere?

Not to the same extent, not for as long.

Haiti is a country where most of the colonial ruling class (the "exploiters") left, and staying behind were the exploited. In most other countries in the Western hemisphere, a sizable amount of people who profited economically from colonial exploitation of indigenous peoples and resources stayed behind. These countries got a head start. In some countries, the USA for instance, these people still constitute the ruling class.
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.