Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

S12PPL
Topic Author

College Football Week 1: How'd Your Team Do?

Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:16 pm

Well, college football has officially kicked off! Last night had a small slate of games, and Oregon State kicked it's season off against the Utah Utes. Mike Riley still has to decide who the starting QB will be after Matt Moore's departure. Neither QB lookd sharp last night, but Sean Canfield looked the best. There was no score through one quarter, but OSU took command after falling behind 7-0, and ended up winning 24-7. All in all, it's nice to have college football again!!

I know it's only Friday.... But when your team finally plays, how'd they do?
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

fraspotter

RE: College Football Week 1: How'd Your Team Do?

Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:09 pm

Well, I'm going to be attending the Texas A&M-Montana State game on Saturday at Kyle Field in College Station! I'd rack up a win for A&M... Big grin

GIG 'EM AGGIES!!!!!!  thumbsup   thumbsup   thumbsup   thumbsup   thumbsup   thumbsup 

BTHO Montana State!!!!!
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

S12PPL
Topic Author

Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:17 pm

I guess it sure sucks if you're a Michigan fan about now...  duck 

Except for Michigan playing like losers, everyone else did what they were supposed to.

I wouldn't be surprised if Notre Shame goes 0-8 to start the season. And I hope they do, too.

Longhornmaniac

Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:40 pm

Texas sucks...unless they get some major shit together.

end of story

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

fraspotter

Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:46 pm

Just got back from the A&M vs. Montana State game! That was one great game with the Aggies winning 38-7! And to think that Montana State actually led 7-0 after something like 5 minutes in the 1st quarter. That's when the defense finally started getting all their assignments and Stephen McGee (the quarterback) ran for two long touchdowns including a 63 yard TD run. Great game!

Penn State did one hell of a job handing Florida Intl. a 59-0 defeat. And the best of all.... would have to be the Michigan-Appalachian State game. The entire of Kyle Field went up in a huge roar as the score was told over the speaker. What an amazing game. I'll have to watch a recording of it if i can find it somewhere...

Overall for week 1, I got all I could have asked for which was a large margin of victory for Texas A&M!

GIG 'EM AGGIES!!!!  thumbsup 
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

fraspotter

Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 3):
Texas sucks...

I couldn't agree more!!!! Big grin

GIG 'EM AGGIES!!!!!!!!!  thumbsup 

N776AU

Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:48 pm

Just got back from Athens.

Georgia-35, Oklahoma State-14

Georgia could have easily put up 50. The score doesn't show what total domination it was.

We were waiting for the Dawg Walk this afternoon, and word got around about Michigan. I'm still in shock over that.
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

Falcon84

Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:48 pm

The Buckeyes easily handled Jim Tressel's old school, Youngstown State, 38-6. I imagine the Bucks could have done more damage, but I'm sure Tressel didn't want to humiliate the program he built into a 1-AA national power too much.

And my beloved BG Falcons pulled an upset on the road, beating Minnesota up in the BaggieDome, 32-31 in OT on a TD pass an two-point conversion. Yeah, the Golden Gophers aren't in the top tier, but anytime a MAC school can knock off a Big Ten school, it's a huge deal for the MAC. BG gets stiffer tests coming up against Wisconsin and Boston College.
Work Right, Fly Hard

USAFHummer

Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:10 pm

Yet again, the annual Rocky Mountain Showdown between my Colorado Buffaloes and our in-state archrivals the Colorado State Rams turned out to be a thriller...Ive been at CU since 2003, and since then every CU-CSU game has been insanely close and down to the wire...this is definitely one of the more underacknowledged rivalries in the country, but it never fails to entertain...I was not let down this year...

Some plot lines entering this year's game, which of course was the opener for both teams:

CU: Somewhat young team this year, led by Coach Dan Hawkins with his son, redshirt freshman Cody Hawkins leading the team on the field as the starting quarterback...CU, of course, had a really bad year last year, finishing 2-10 in Hawk's first season as coach, owing mainly to the lack of a decent quarterback...it's hoped that Cody Hawkins could fix the QB situation, but would he live up to the hype?

CSU: A more experienced team than CU, and also the owner of bragging rights in the Rocky Mountain Showdown as they defeated us last year 14-10, so they were expected to have some swagger in them...

Now onto the game itself, which was held at a neutral field: Denver's Invesco Field @ Mile High...

The game started out with a series of bangs, as both CU and CSU traded touchdowns on the first 4 series of the game to make the score 14-14...CU's offense, led by Hawkins, looked crisp and efficie...nt against the CU defense, although early on we lost our starting running back, senior Hugh Charles, to a hamstring strain...his backup was redshirt freshman Demetrius Sumler, who was solid but not anything spectacular, thus, Hawkins having to shine in the passing game was key...

After the flurry of scores to make it 14-14, things settled down a bit until just before the half when CU added a field goal from senior Kevin Eberhart (who has some big shoes to fill replacing CU legend Mason Crosby, who coincidentally was named starting kicker for the Green Bay Packers today...congrats Mason!), and the halftime score was 17-14 in favor of CU...

CU started the second half by kicking off to CSU, and CSU drove up the field methodically to score a touchdown, so the score was 21-17...on the ensuing kickoff, CSU attempted to squib it, since our kickoff returns had been excellent, and the kick bounced unexpectedly right off of one of our special teamers, making it a live ball, which CSU recovered - basically the result was an unintentional onside kick for CSU, and they took full advantage of it, driving up the field and scoring again to make it 28-17 CSU, still fairly early in the third quarter...It was pretty quiet in the CU student section at that point, but I had full confidence that Hawk & Co. would find a way to come back and win...

Our response to the deficit was to go on a very lengthy drive down the field that greatly impressed me, moving the ball up the field in short bursts, and scoring near the end of the third quarter to make the score 28-23...Coach Hawk decided to go for 2, and we got it, so the score at the end of the third quarter was 28-25...

Now, the fourth quarter was just agonizing...we had to find a way to keep CSU from scoring, and also find a way to pick up some points to either tie or win the game...very agonizing, as although our defense held, our offense had somewhat stalled during this quarter...basically a complete reversal from earlier in the game when our offense was on fire but our defense stunk...

However, the culminating drive of the quarter took place with 2 minutes left when we got the ball back with great field position in CSU territory thanks to a good punt return, score still 28-25...our offense stalled but we picked up about 8 yards, leaving us with a 4th and 2 on about the CSU 28...seems like an obvious field goal situation? Not for Coach Hawk (who might've been influenced by an Eberhart miss from about 40 yards out earlier in the game) ...after a timeout, the Buffs took the field and Cody Hawkins threw a pass, incomplete, and the game should be over, right? Uh-uh...the ref pulled out that magical yellow flag and threw it, calling pass interference on CSU and giving us a first down...although we couldnt punch the ball into the end zone, Eberhart kicked a chipshot field goal to tie the game at 28 and send it into overtime...the first ever overtime between CU & CSU

In overtime, we won the toss and elected to go on defense first...CSU quickly stormed up to about the 9 yard line, however, their QB, Caleb Hanie, who had played a really great game (he also burned us bad last year too), made an ill-advised pass into the end zone which was intercepted by Buffs CB Terrance Wheatley...on our possession, we took 3 runs in a row for little gain, and Eberhart stepped in to kick a game winning FG from the right hash...GOOD!!!! BUFFS WIN!!! Another incredible edition of the Rocky Mountain Showdown...the best of the 5 I've been through while here in Boulder, and that's saying something since they were all really close games that came down to the wire...

What's the outlook?

Offensively, Hawkins was better than I expected, very accurate throws (he did underthrow one ball pretty bad that got picked off), however, his problem is that he's too short...only about 5'11", maybe 6'0" on a good day...it was affecting him at times...running back is a concern since Hugh Charles has been listed as day-to-day for next week's game @ Arizona State...Sumler did an ok job filling in, but I'd prefer to see Hugh out there....

Defensively, I have my reservations here...both our run defense and pass defense were pretty lousy, though the D did step up big time when a stop was crucially needed...I'd like to see more consistency from the D...hopefully these issues will be fixed in practice...
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

MD-90

Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:13 pm

Well, as one of my friends at the game put it, "At (Miss.) State we don't expect miracles, we depend on them!"

[Edited 2007-09-02 08:16:54]

Boston92

Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:22 pm

end of story

I like your format:

Notre Dame sucks...unless they get some major shit together.

end of story

I still take a 33-3 loss to GT over any loss to a FCS team. Haha, UM.

CO7e7

Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:53 pm

Buckeyes beat YSU 38-6
Kent State (my alma mater) beat Iowa State 23-14

and most importantly MICHIGAN got their asses handed to them by Appalachian State 34-32....

GO BROWNS!

aloha73g

Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:48 pm

Hawai'i: 63
N. Colorado: 6

Brennan threw for 416 yards, and 6 TDs, 34-of-40......in the First Half.

4 TDs in the 1st Quarter (the 1st 11 minutes of the 1st Quarter)
Led 42-0 at the half

Defense played well, allowing 182 yards (mostly in the the 2nd half); Offense had 577 yards of total. After TD #7, we put in the 2nd string...and the 3rd played in the 4th.

Great start for what is arguably the Best UH Football team ever!!

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

scottieprecord

Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:02 pm

Ohhhh Michigan mayne!! AppState had that scrawny lil qb runnin all over that defense

Texas sucks...

Yeaaa boi. Colt McCoy mighta put on 20 lbs, but he lost a lot of his natural abilities over the summer. like rly. they easily coulda had 5 inerceptions. mack didn't even bother tryin out 2nd string qb. least while i was there, we left early cuz that was a boringgg game

Quoting FRAspotter (Reply 5):
I couldn't agree more!!!!

Hey. 73-35-5 =)

AzoresLover

Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:03 pm

MOST LOPSIDED GAME OF THE DAY...I'm betting...

Div III game...Mount Union (OH) at home against Averett (VA). I have season tickets to Mount Union games. They are so much fun! Normally, that is. This game really wasn't fun after the first quarter.

With 2 minutes left in the first, the Mount was up 52-0. At that point the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th teams played the rest of the game. Even so, the half score was 72-0. They even played 5 different QBs. The only scoring in the second half was a FG by the Mount and a TD by Averett. In order to keep the score from REALLY being obnoxious, Mount played to NOT score. Every kick to them they called fair catch to eliminate runbacks. They kicked that only FG when they were 1st and 5 on the 8 yard line, to prevent a touchdown. Then they took a knee twice later in the game to keep from scoring another TD. So the final score ended up being 75-7. That first quarter took 61 minutes to play, with all the scoring...7 TDs and a FG. That's with NO TV timeouts, too...they just play the game, which is another reason I really like the games.

Yeah, I'm an Ohio State grad, and am loyal to them. And it is fun to go to their games, too, although I generally get to only 1 game a season.

Besides the Buckeyes, my loyalties are to Mount Union and to Bowling Green State University. Therefore, I loved yesterday's BGSU game, too, FALCON!!!

Believe me, it is no fun at all to watch a game where one team is trying NOT to score. A lot of the crowd left at halftime.
Those who want to do something will find a way; those who don't will find an excuse.

fraspotter

Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:10 am

Quoting Scottieprecord (Reply 13):
Hey. 73-35-5 =)

What would you expect an Aggie to say??? That Texas is good???  Wink  rotfl 

pdxtriple7

Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:54 am

Duke is well on their way to a winless season after yesterday's pathetic display against UConn. We actually winning at halftime 14-11, but man it's hard to watch. Only a few months until basketball season...

My other team, Oregon, is now 1-0. Go Ducks!

sw733

Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:12 am

Kansas beat Central Michigan 52-7 with about 540 total yards of offense...woo hoo. I started tailgating at 2pm for the 6pm game yesterday, so I am a little...dark...now. Oh well, somehow I didn't get char broiled - not really sure how.

Kovi17

Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:13 am

Quoting N776AU (Reply 6):
Just got back from Athens.

Georgia-35, Oklahoma State-14

Georgia could have easily put up 50. The score doesn't show what total domination it was.

We were waiting for the Dawg Walk this afternoon, and word got around about Michigan. I'm still in shock over that.

awesome man Im glad someone else was in athens to witness it!
We dont worry about small things like that...

deltagator

Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:23 am

Florida started their defense of the last year's national championship with a good day winning against Western Kentucky 49-3. They even called the game with around 9 minutes left because of the thunderstorm and lightning that came into the area and didn't go away.

Other teams I cheer for had good days as well. Southern Cal won and Georgia played good against OK State.

Yes, I know...what's a Gator cheering for UGA? Well we have a family friend who is a fullback on the team so I cheer for them in every game except the Cocktail Party.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

N776AU

Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:23 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 19):
Yes, I know...what's a Gator cheering for UGA? Well we have a family friend who is a fullback on the team so I cheer for them in every game except the Cocktail Party.

Out of curiosity, which fullback is it?

I'll always pull for the SEC when they're playing out-of-conference. Gotta' show that we're the best.
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

ShannoninAMA

Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:31 am

Yeaaa boi. Colt McCoy mighta put on 20 lbs, but he lost a lot of his natural abilities over the summer. like rly. they easily coulda had 5 inerceptions. mack didn't even bother tryin out 2nd string qb. least while i was there, we left early cuz that was a boringgg game

Amen. We really have a bunch of crap to get together. If we dont get some EXTREME shit done, we can go ahead and Cross off the OU/A&M games (Two of the biggest of the season)
Shipwreck alert. Head on over to Airspaceonline.com.

AirframeAS

Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:41 am

Syracuse 12
Washington 42

This was freshman Jake Locker's first game. This guy played great! He reminds me of Napoelon Kaufman, the ex-Husky tailback. Fast, quick, agile, you name it...Jake is IT! I was really impressed with Locker. Hopefully he will continue to play the way he did against Syracuse next week.

This is only the beginning, I know. But I hope Washington has an above .500 season this year despite the most difficult schedule in the NCAA.

Up next: Boise State.

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

scottieprecord

Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:03 am

Quoting ShannoninAMA (Reply 21):
If we dont get some EXTREME shit done, we can go ahead and Cross off the OU/A&M games (Two of the biggest of the season)

Shan we play TCU next week! They shutout Baylor yesterday!! Reading stories on the game, their crowd's chanting "We want Texas!" Our crowd was most excited durin the game when some guy kicked a field goal during halftime so everyone in austin gets free frostys at wendy's today haha. but yea, mack better pull it together quick

Quoting FRAspotter (Reply 15):
What would you expect an Aggie to say??? That Texas is good??? Wink rotfl

haha well at least we should have a decent rivalry game again this year... =/

DTManiac

Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:10 am

Quoting Scottieprecord (Reply 23):
haha well at least we should have a decent rivalry game again this year... =/

I liked the last one a lot already  Smile
Gig 'em Aggies!!!

AirCop

Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:46 am

Let's see Arizona State looked like a new team in taking care of San Jose State 45-3,which is not good news for Colorado this weekend, then Arizona's offense look just awful in losing to BYU 20-7. We won't even discuss my alma mater..

garnetpalmetto

Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:04 am

South Carolina beat a surprisingly good Ragin' Cajun squad from the University of Louisiana-Lafayette by a score of 28-14, using both back-up QBs (Chris Smelley and Tommy Beecher) in placed of suspended starter Blake Mitchell. The fact that the game was as close as it was does have me a bit worried, especially going up against Georgia next week. Nonetheless, GO COCKS!
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

AirframeAS

Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:19 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 25):
...not good news for Colorado this weekend...

I would love to go to the CU/ASU game this upcoming Saturday!

HALFA

Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:26 am

I went to Hawaii's game last night against Northern Colorado and Colt Brennan has not missed a beat, throwing for 416 yards and 6 touchdowns in the FIRST HALF!
Colt and the rest of the starting receivers didn't even play in the 2nd half.
The Warrior defense did not allow UNC to cross the 50 yard line until the FOURTH QUARTER. They were phenomenal!
I'm not getting myself too worked up just yet, as the competition will slowly get better with each game, but you can count on Hawaii to not lose a game in September or October, and their ranking will continue to rise. If you haven't seen Colt Brennan play, he is truly the real deal! His accuracy is amazing.
On another note, I didn't get to see the USC game but I was surprised that they only scored 38 points against IDAHO! IIRC, Hawaii beat Idaho 68-10 last year, and Brennan sat out the 4th qtr.
Great start to the football season, gotta love what happened at Ann Arbor yesterday. Unless you're a Wolverines/Big Ten fan.

GO WARRIORS

HALFA
Hawaiian Airlines Since 1929...........

AirCop

Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:34 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 27):
I would love to go to the CU/ASU game this upcoming Saturday!

Should be a good game.. I have feeling that USAFHummer will be a little disappointed after the end.  bigthumbsup 

saxdiva

Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:32 am

I only saw the highlights, but it looks as though UCLA's offense is starting to make things happen. Hard to tell since Stanford isn't much of an opponent these days, but at least the team didn't have the seriously ugly game they did against the cardinal last year.

As much as I've been one of Karl Dorrell's critics, I'm hoping like mad that he shuts us up by having a major breakout year.
See terms for details....

USAFHummer

Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:34 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 29):
I have feeling that USAFHummer will be a little disappointed after the end.

Doubtful proposition at best  Wink
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Adam T.

Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:04 am

Being a graduate from Appalachian State I was very excited to see them beat Michigan!

GO MOUNTAINEERS!!!!  Smile

Longhornmaniac

Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:06 am

Quoting Scottieprecord (Reply 23):

Shan we play TCU next week! They shutout Baylor yesterday!! Reading stories on the game, their crowd's chanting "We want Texas!" Our crowd was most excited durin the game when some guy kicked a field goal during halftime so everyone in austin gets free frostys at wendy's today haha. but yea, mack better pull it together quick

That was amazing! We need to sign him up, lol!

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

austinairport

Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:11 pm

YEAH. Thats goood to here!!! Yes

Quoting FRAspotter (Reply 1):
Well, I'm going to be attending the Texas A&M-Montana State game on Saturday at Kyle Field in College Station! I'd rack up a win for A&M...

GIG 'EM AGGIES!!!!!!

BTHO Montana State!!!!!

OH Yeah

Quoting FRAspotter (Reply 4):
Just got back from the A&M vs. Montana State game! That was one great game with the Aggies winning 38-7! And to think that Montana State actually led 7-0 after something like 5 minutes in the 1st quarter. That's when the defense finally started getting all their assignments and Stephen McGee (the quarterback) ran for two long touchdowns including a 63 yard TD run. Great game!

YEAH

Quoting FRAspotter (Reply 5):
Texas sucks...

I couldn't agree more!!!!

GIG 'EM AGGIES!!!!!!!!!

YES I Agree

Colt's a fuckin baby. Stephen McGee takes shit all the time and gets right back up.

What would you expect an Aggie to say??? That Texas is good???

OMG LMAO

Quoting DTManiac (Reply 24):
I liked the last one a lot already

Me Too
4th in the nation my Ass. Lets be realistic here They Suck. I saw on TV that people pick Colt McCoy for the Heisman.WTF Hes a little baby. Didnt see McGee's name on the there but quess we will let there luck run out and then attack. Cant wait for A&M vs. Texas.
Big version: Width: 150 Height: 165 File size: 17kb
Gig' Em' Ags'
Whoever said you can do anything you set your mind to has obviously never tried to slam a revolving door!!!

fraspotter

Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:15 pm

Quoting AustinAirport (Reply 34):
Cant wait for A&M vs. Texas.

Me too! The game is being played on my birthday this year and I couldn't think of a better present than A&M "Sawing 'em off" two years in a row!

GIG 'EM AGGIES!!!  thumbsup 

S12PPL
Topic Author

Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:38 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 22):
Up next: Boise State.

Good luck with that.

Quoting HALFA (Reply 28):

I'm still not sold Brennan will win the Heisman. He struggled against Oregon State last year. When he faces a tough defense, he'll struggle. Hawaii will lose at least two games this year.

FriendlySkies

Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:49 pm

My Yellow Jackets kicked the crap out of ND, 33-3. I don't know what made me happier about that game; the fact that GT won or the fact that ND lost so bad...

AirframeAS

Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:40 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 29):

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 31):

Are you both going to that ASU game against CU?

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 36):
Good luck with that.

UW is gonna need it!

HALFA

Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:13 pm

I'm still not sold Brennan will win the Heisman.

I don't think he will win the Heisman either, but he will probably deserve it more than any other college player when all is said and done. If it were truly an individual award based on college football's most outstanding player, he would win hands down. Unfortunately, we all know that's not how the voters vote.

He struggled against Oregon State last year.

Struggled? Really? If you call 37-50 completions for 401 yards and 3 touchdowns struggling, so be it. It was the defense that lost the game, not Colt Brennan. Time of Possession was 38:16 to 21:44 in favor of Hawaii. I would find a new argument if I were you.

Hawaii will lose at least two games this year.

Possibly, but very doubtful. They may have a letdown in Nevada as they have always struggled there, but I don't see them losing two games before their bowl game.

I would be much more concerned with your Beavers. I watched the game vs. Utah and I was not at all impressed. Your Beavers have lot's of issues this year and they will be lucky to win 9 games, with a PAC 10 conference on the rise.
UW vs. Boise State should be a great game.

HALFA

smcmac32msn

Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:17 pm

My Wisconsin Badgers had a less than stellar 42-21 victory over Washington State. It took till the midway point of the 2nd half to really pull away. They still have 1 more win than Michigan though so I'm happy.

Ann Arbor is a whore!
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

jcs17

Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:56 pm

Our first football game was more than two weeks ago vs. Humboldt State... 59-0, Sioux. D1-AA football can't come soon enough.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

scottieprecord

Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:43 pm

Quoting AustinAirport (Reply 34):
Colt's a fuckin baby. Stephen McGee takes shit all the time and gets right back up.

McGee doesn't take two bullshit cheap shots back to back... This is the series after another player was ejected for a blindside hit on Colt.

Tamu's definitely a classy school.

-Mike

deltagator

Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:36 pm

Quoting HALFA (Reply 39):
I don't think he will win the Heisman either, but he will probably deserve it more than any other college player when all is said and done.

You don't deserve the Heisman...you earn it.

He's impressive to say the least. I'd like to see him up against some of the better defenses out there compared to the teams you have on your schedule now. I read the part about how it was all passes until the 4th quarter. You and I both know that won't work every time so I hope you have a running back.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

TPAnx

Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:57 pm

The Gators won...and Directional Kentucky is a half-million richer...and Valpo beat Saint Francis..always fun to pore through the agate type to find the score. Didn't see it, but read this morning that Southern Cal lined up without a punter, and took a deliberate delay-of-game penalty after scoring its first td--to honor the late Mario Danelo. Neat touch..
My weekend will be complete if Florida State can find a way to lose tonight...  Wink
TPAnx
I read the news today..oh boy

S12PPL
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:42 am

I would be much more concerned with your Beavers.

Really? You mean I should be concerned with a team that gave up less than 200 yards of total offense to their opponent? A team that gave up less than 20 yards of rushing? A team that put up 24 points? The only thing that I'm concerned about, is the QB picture, but even that is righting itself. Our reciever were dropping every ball thrown at them in the 1st quarter. We're playing Cinci on ESPN on Thursday. Tune in,a nd you'll see a different game. Our offense is just fine. Our deffense is probably the 2nd best int he Pac 10, if not the best. USC is the only team witha better D than us.

Struggled? Really? If you call 37-50 completions for 401 yards and 3 touchdowns struggling,

In terms of what he usually puts up, yer damn right he had trouble.

Possibly, but very doubtful. They may have a letdown in Nevada as they have always struggled there, but I don't see them losing two games before their bowl game.

They'll lose to Boise State, and one other in conference play. You're forgetting you played a powder puff. Play USC, Ohio State, Florida.... Hell, even Oregon State, and I promise you a loss  Smile

senorcarnival

Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:49 am

No, to realize that there is more to cheering for your alma mater than consistently talking down on another school  Wink
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

HALFA

Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:11 am

Quoting Smcmac32msn (Reply 40):
My Wisconsin Badgers had a less than stellar 42-21 victory over Washington State.

They covered the spread and made me very happy.  Smile

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 43):
I'd like to see him up against some of the better defenses out there compared to the teams you have on your schedule now.

Believe me, so would I, but nobody good wanted to play us this year.

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 43):
I read the part about how it was all passes until the 4th quarter. You and I both know that won't work every time so I hope you have a running back.

We have 3 running backs, and they are all very good. A transfer from Nebraska (Jackson) and the Hawaii State offensive player of the year. (Pilares)

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 45):
Really? You mean I should be concerned with a team that gave up less than 200 yards of total offense to their opponent?

To an opponent that lost their starting QB in the 1st Qtr to a separated shoulder.

A team that put up 24 points?

24 points? Wow! Colt Brennan scored more than that in the 1st qtr.

You're forgetting you played a powder puff. Play USC, Ohio State, Florida.... Hell, even Oregon State

No, I'm not forgetting. I wish we were playing Michigan like we were going to but they chose to play Appalachian State to guarantee themselves a victory. We all know how that ended up.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/notebook?page=gamedayFinal071 (see the right side column #2 paragraph)
And the other Michigan team weasled out of their contract and paid UH 250,000.00 to cancel their game with us leaving us with another hole in the schedule. UNC was all we could get.
We open at Florida next year, get you guys at your place two weeks later, and close with Washington State. Unfortunately, we wont have Brennan.

HALFA

AirCop

Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:18 am

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 41):
Our first football game was more than two weeks ago vs. Humboldt State... 59-0, Sioux. D1-AA football can't come soon enough.

Since when did Humboldt State football afford to make a trip like that?

Quoting Senorcarnival (Reply 46):
to realize that there is more to cheering for your alma mater than consistently talking down on another school

bouncy  It been my experience that at bowl games its not the former students at the schools playing, but rather hangers-on that cause all the problems. Remember its just a game.

S12PPL
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:59 am

Quoting HALFA (Reply 47):
To an opponent that lost their starting QB in the 1st Qtr to a separated shoulder.

That happened in the 2nd quarter. I was at the game.

24 points? Wow! Colt Brennan scored more than that in the 1st qtr.

Against a better defense than Colt had to "pass" against. Utah is a very good team up front. Whoopie. Colt passed all over a horrible team. Good for him!!!!

And the other Michigan team weasled out of their contract

That's what you get for being in the WAC. None of your kids graduate anyways. You wouldn't qualify accademically for the Pac 10, Big 10, etc.

I'm simply not impressed with a UH team that plays the schedule they do. So they run the table playing the teams the play. Big deal. You can't get people to spend the money to play you for a lot of reasons. One of the big ones? How can any of their fans afford to travel out to the islands on short notice? When Oregon State signed on to play you guys because Washington backed out, we found out late spring/early summer. Airfares were all ready in the $300 range per person. Imagine being an east coast school. It costs an arm and a leg for your fans to go out there.

There are a lot of reasons teams won't play Hawaii.

1) They're in the WAC
2) It costs an arm and a leg for a fan to go out and support their team
3) They don't wanna get beat by a team from the WAC
4) It costs a LOT of money to send an entire team out to the islands.... It doens't pencil out financially

And I know there's others I missed.

I wish we were playing Michigan like we were going to but they chose to play Appalachian State

Ok... Wait a second.... You're the Michigan AD. You have two choices: Go out to Hawaii and play a D1 school... Or stay at home... And play a 1AA school.... Hmmmmm.... Tough choice. 110,000 fans, or maybe 10,000 if you're lucky.... Let's weigh those options and think about it... Oh yeah, I'd rather stay at home and play a 1AA team!!! No crap they expected to win that game. It's a smart move on paper. The revenue from ticket sales alone would more than make up the cost of having to buy out of that contract. Add on top of that the concession sales, merchandise sales, and TV contract, and you're more than in the black.