Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

USAFHummer

RE: College Football Week 1: How'd Your Team Do?

Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:25 pm

The Bowden Bowl looks like it's headed for an exciting finish...Clemson 24, FSU 18 with 6:25 left in the game and FSU ball deep in their own territory...its on ESPN...
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

ShannoninAMA

Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:48 pm

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 50):
The Bowden Bowl looks like it's headed for an exciting finish...Clemson 24, FSU 18 with 6:25 left in the game and FSU ball deep in their own territory...its on ESPN...

Damn it  Sad Just ended. So for my teams

UT - Damn close win agasinst arkansas state
FSU - Starts off with a loss agasint Clemson in the bowden bowl..

Shan  Sad
Shipwreck alert. Head on over to Airspaceonline.com.

smcmac32msn

Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:44 pm

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 49):
There are a lot of reasons teams won't play Hawaii.

1) They're in the WAC
2) It costs an arm and a leg for a fan to go out and support their team
3) They don't wanna get beat by a team from the WAC
4) It costs a LOT of money to send an entire team out to the islands.... It doens't pencil out financially

And I know there's others I missed.

Is Wisconsin about the only school thats a non-WAC Conference member that doesn't screw UH like MSU did? Seems like we have a game out in Hawaii about every 3rd year. Seems like we had a game out there this past fall or at the end of the 2005 season. We have another Wisconsin @ Hawaii game on November 28, 2009.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

aloha73g

Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:55 pm

That's what you get for being in the WAC. None of your kids graduate anyways. You wouldn't qualify accademically for the Pac 10, Big 10, etc.

Thats a blatantly NOT TRUE, ignorant and rude thing to say.

Airfares were all ready in the $300 range per person.

Thats an incredibly cheap fare to Hawai'i anytime. If you can't afford it you shouldn't be going on a vacation.

Imagine being an east coast school. It costs an arm and a leg for your fans to go out there.

And it costs an arm and a leg for our fans to go anywhere. So usually they don't. But we still play games all over the country. I would say UH teams in every sport deserve gold stars for traveling as much as they do, and still going to school.

Ok... Wait a second.... You're the Michigan AD. You have two choices: Go out to Hawaii and play a D1 school... Or stay at home... And play a 1AA school.... Hmmmmm.... Tough choice. 110,000 fans, or maybe 10,000 if you're lucky.... Let's weigh those options and think about it... Oh yeah, I'd rather stay at home and play a 1AA team!!! No crap they expected to win that game. It's a smart move on paper. The revenue from ticket sales alone would more than make up the cost of having to buy out of that contract. Add on top of that the concession sales, merchandise sales, and TV contract, and you're more than in the black.

Here's a quote from an article about the problems in scheduling teams for 2007:

Quote:
Frazier said Western Athletic Conference commissioner Karl Benson and ESPN were working with him in negotiations with six teams, including two from the Pac-10, to fill one of UH's openings on Oct. 20 or Nov. 3.

Frazier said a financial incentive of more than $700,000 was being offered potential opponents. But at this late date, schools are not looking for games in 2007.

http://starbulletin.com/2007/05/31/sports/story03.html

The fact of the matter is that now that UH is good....people don't want to play us. Thats their right. But there are financial incentives being offered......$700,000 is ALOT of money.

As far as Colt's stats, there are pretty impressive even on his "bad" days. Here is how performed in our 3 losses last year:

Alabama (lost 25-17): 30 of 44; 350 yards; 2 TDs; 1 Int; QB rating: 97.7
Boise State (lost 41-34): 25 of 36; 388 yards; 5 TDs; 1 Int; QB rating: 132.9
Oregon State (lost 35-32): 37 of 50; 401 yards; 2 TDs; 2 Int; QB rating: 93.8

All 3 of these games were VERY close and could have been won by UH.

Oh, and don't forget the Hawai'i Bowl against ASU:

WON 41-24; 33 of 42; 559 yards; 5TDs; 1 Int; QB rating: 148.4

Is Colt perfect? No.
Is he the best QB ever? No.
Is he a REALLY Good QB? Yes.

If he hadn't run into his legal problem he would have played at Colorado or any other "A-List" school that had taken him....and then your perception of him would have been very different.

June Jones, a Football player and coach with an impressive resume, says he is a great quarterback. I value his opinion a little bit more than yours.

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

aloha73g

Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:13 pm

Quoting Smcmac32msn (Reply 52):
Is Wisconsin about the only school thats a non-WAC Conference member that doesn't screw UH like MSU did? Seems like we have a game out in Hawaii about every 3rd year. Seems like we had a game out there this past fall or at the end of the 2005 season. We have another Wisconsin @ Hawaii game on November 28, 2009.

No. Before Colt it was much easier to schedule games with "A-list" teams. In the past few years we have had multi-year home & away game deals with Wisconsin, USC, Michigan State, Oregon State, Washington, Alabama, BYU and others.

In 2008 we play: at Florida, Washington & at Oregon State
In 2009 we play: Navy, at Washington State, Wisconsin & at UNLV (UH fans will show up here...I wonder why??)
In 2010 we play: USC & UNLV
in 2011 we play: at UNLV & Washington State
in 2012 we play: UNLV

for 2007 Michigan State payed $250,000 to pull out.

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

co777er

Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:18 pm

We held on. Nothing stellar. In fact, it was pretty bad.

Anyways:
HOOK'EM HORNS

aloha73g

Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:25 pm

Heres a nice story about the UH Football teams character. I know the Flight Attendant mentioned very well....shes is one of the Best at Aloha.
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...142/COLUMNISTS06&template=UHsports

"Until about this time last year Jo Ann Fukao was a self-described "non-football fan" and, at first glance, maybe not exactly who you'd think to go to for insight on what makes a celebrated college team.

But as an Aloha Airlines flight attendant she and the crew handling the University of Hawai'i football team's charter flights grasped early on some of the reasons last year's Warriors were so special, both on and off the field.

Some of her remembrances, originally meant to be a letter to The Advertiser, say a lot, we think, about the character and chemistry of the team that went 11-3. They speak to how the Warriors handled the rigors of college football's most demanding travel schedule while winning both games and fans.......

.......the 2006 Warriors make for a good example. They compelled Fukao to write: "I have had the pleasure of being on a few of our UH Warriors' charter flights to the Mainland. And from this former non-football fan of any team, I — and many of my co-workers — are now reading the sports page and looking up articles of any kind about 'our boys.'

"When did this familial feeling start? Observing them get to their seats on their first charter flight this past season, we could tell immediately that this team was different. No roughhousing; no rude remarks; no over-the-top machismo. They helped each other with their bags, laughed easily and showed respect for each other. But we had 6 hours ahead of us. Will it last?

"Yep, it sure did. Colt (Brennan), Ikaika (Alama-Francis), Jason (Rivers) and many others did their homework. Many read Bibles. A few took out their ukuleles and sang. Leonard Peters helped us dispense earphones and picked up rubbish. At all phases of the flight they were kind to the crew. True to their aloha spirit, they gave us hugs as they left. Having children of the same age, my inflight crew of three felt proud as moms and were definitely smitten.

"Colt's decision to stay (at UH) reflects the strength, humility and character that is our University of Hawai'i Warriors. Their lives have touched ours in no small way and we, at Aloha Airlines, are grateful for being a small part of their life story."

For Jo Ann to comment on the teams character says ALOT. Anyone who knows her would agree.

-Aloha!

smcmac32msn

Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:27 pm

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 54):
In 2008 we play: at Florida, Washington & at Oregon State
In 2009 we play: Navy, at Washington State, Wisconsin & at UNLV (UH fans will show up here...I wonder why??)
In 2010 we play: USC & UNLV
in 2011 we play: at UNLV & Washington State
in 2012 we play: UNLV

I wish you would come up to Wisconsin in November.   

Wisconsin's got a tough nonconference schedule in the up coming years. Bret Bielema has done a nice job to get away from the powderpuff teams and atleast get some midlevel teams.
2007: Washington St, @UNLV, The Citadel, N. Illinois (still under the Alverez scheduling)
2008: Akron, Marshall, @Fresno St., TBA (still under the Alverez scheduling)
2009: C. Florida, Fresno St., @TBA, @N. Illinois
2010: UNLV, @San Diego St., Arizona St., TBA
2011: @UNLV, Oregon St., N. Illinois, TBA
2012: TBA, San Diego St., @Arizona St., TBA
2013: Oregon St. (no other schedule filled out)

I'd like to see a team like Iowa St. or another Big 12 school (Kansas St., Baylor, Kansas) fill out the schedule on some of our TBA's.

[Edited 2007-09-04 08:29:18]

AirframeAS

Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:48 pm

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 54):
In 2008 we play:
In 2009 we play:
In 2010 we play:
in 2011 we play:
in 2012 we play:

A little pet peeve of mine, but why do you guys say 'we'?? The teams play, you don't. So why the 'we' mentality? Its like saying "We won! We won!"....the fact is: No, you didnt win, they won...you just watched.

So I ask, why the 'we' mentality?
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

aloha73g

Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:19 pm

Maybe its a local language colloquialism. I always remember in High School saying "we" even though I never played a sport.

Maybe its just the "team" mentality. UH Football is the biggest show in town and we all follow them very closely and are very proud of their accomplishments. Since there's only one team to follow we all cheer the same...no Jets/Giants issues here. Theres not another team for nearly 2,500 miles.

HALFA uses the same "we" I did. Either way I think the fans play an important role in any sport and at home games often have an influence on the visiting team's performance (WE sure do at Aloha Stadium). I will continue to say "we" since I've been going to games since I could walk....even through the 0-12 season and 18 game losing streak we've all long since forgotten.

A Proud University of Hawai'i (Rainbow) Warriors Fan,
-Aloha!

RAIN ! !

BOWS ! !

HALFA

Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:02 pm

That's what you get for being in the WAC. None of your kids graduate anyways. You wouldn't qualify accademically for the Pac 10, Big 10, etc.

Nice. You're bragging about PAC 10 academic qualifications and you can't even spell academically. You are just being rude now.

Ok... Wait a second.... You're the Michigan AD. You have two choices: Go out to Hawaii and play a D1 school... Or stay at home... And play a 1AA school.... Hmmmmm.... Tough choice. 110,000 fans, or maybe 10,000 if you're lucky.... Let's weigh those options and think about it... Oh yeah, I'd rather stay at home and play a 1AA team!!! No crap they expected to win that game. It's a smart move on paper. The revenue from ticket sales alone would more than make up the cost of having to buy out of that contract. Add on top of that the concession sales, merchandise sales, and TV contract, and you're more than in the black.

Apparently you didn't read the link I attached from ESPN. Hawaii wanted to play AT Michigan, not have them play here.
UH was willing to travel to Ann Arbor and open the season there but Michigan apparently was afraid of Colt & company and opted for the easy win vs. Appalachian State. As far as I'm concerned, they got what they deserved. And for the record, if Michigan came to Hawaii to open the season, we would certainly have more fans here than you had in Corvallis for the opener with Utah. You seriously need to tone done your rhetoric. Oregon State is on the rise, but they are far from a national power house.

Quoting Smcmac32msn (Reply 52):
Is Wisconsin about the only school thats a non-WAC Conference member that doesn't screw UH like MSU did?

One of the few. I have much respect for Wisconsin's football program. USC also. In the past few years, Michigan State, Texas, Virginia and a few others have all backed out of games with UH, while the Badgers and Trojans continue to schedule games with Hawaii.

Quoting Smcmac32msn (Reply 57):
wish you would come up to Wisconsin in November.

I would LOVE to! I have travelled to several places to watch UH road games and I always enjoy the atmosphere away from home. I am going to Gainesville, FL to watch UH open the season at Florida next August.

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 58):
So I ask, why the 'we' mentality?

Because I am a proud alumnus of UH and it is Hawaii's team and we refer to them as we and our, and if you notice, other detractors in this thread have referred to UH as "you" and "your" when referring to Hawaii.
Hawaiian Airlines Since 1929...........

S12PPL
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:36 pm

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 53):
Thats a blatantly NOT TRUE, ignorant and rude thing to say.

No it isn't. It's a well known fact that UH is one of, if not THE worst team academically in Division 1 sports.

Quoting HALFA (Reply 60):
Nice. You're bragging about PAC 10 academic qualifications and you can't even spell academically. You are just being rude now.

Again, it's a well known fact that UH is one of, if not THE worst schools academically in Dvision 1
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

smcmac32msn

Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:01 am

Quoting HALFA (Reply 60):
I would LOVE to! I have travelled to several places to watch UH road games and I always enjoy the atmosphere away from home.

Oh well, if they don't, they keep me happy with the road schedule. We've got a large amount of their charters every year. We have like 6 fan charters just going to the game at UNLV this coming weekend, then we'll have the Rose Bowl or Sugar Bowl (I pray its the Sugar Bowl) charters. We seem to get a lot of business at MSN from our Badgers  Smile

AirCop

Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:23 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 61):
Again, it's a well known fact that UH is one of, if not THE worst schools academically in Dvision 1

Graduation Rates as reported by the NCAA in 2004 (number of athletes graduated in 4 years)
Stanford 87%
California 66%
Hawaii 63%
UCLA 61%
ASU/U of Arizona both at 56%
USC/Ohio State 55%
Oregon State 52%
Georgia 41%
Texas 40%

Seems Hawaii is ranked higher than Oregon State???? Care to re-evaluate your statement?

HALFA

Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:30 am

Quoting Smcmac32msn (Reply 62):
We have like 6 fan charters just going to the game at UNLV this coming weekend

Me and a large group of friends will be heading to LAS the weekend after your team plays there to watch UH play at UNLV on 9/15. Always a great road trip! U of Wisconsin and UNLV both wear red. It must be quite a sight at Sam Boyd Stadium with a packed house of red clad fans.

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 61):

UH is a school, not a schools. Is this how a great PAC 10 school teaches you to write? You clearly have it in for UH, and that's your prerogative. You bash Colt and Hawaii at every juncture with ridiculous statements, and no proof or sources to back them up. I am done debating with you. You are only making yourself and your great PAC 10 school look foolish.

Aloha

aloha73g

Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:36 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 63):
Graduation Rates as reported by the NCAA in 2004 (number of athletes graduated in 4 years)
Stanford 87%
California 66%
Hawaii 63%
UCLA 61%
ASU/U of Arizona both at 56%
USC/Ohio State 55%
Oregon State 52%
Georgia 41%
Texas 40%

Thanks for looking it up so i didn't have to.  Smile

Seems Hawaii is ranked higher than Oregon State???? Care to re-evaluate your statement?

LOL. Apology due perhaps?

-Aloha!

Longhornmaniac

Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:38 am

Quoting AustinAirport (Reply 34):

LOL at the little Aggies thinking they mean something because they beat their live and die arch rival once in the last 6 years. I'll point you toward the Lone Star Showdown, my friend, where, you last year had probably your best athletic season in the last 15-20 years, and you still lost to Texas. We've got bigger fish to fry...

Nice win last year, in any event. It mighta (read: would've), been different had Colt not been hurt (I mean, honestly, you really think you could've held a healthy Texas to 7 points?) Nevertheless, no excuses from me. Injuries are as much a part of football as anything else, and you capitalized with the situation you were dealt.

Texas may very well have a rough season this year, we'll talk after TCU, though. As for the Aggies, they may very well have a good season, but they will forever have a complex about being Texas' red-headed step child.

Hook'em!

Cheers,
Cameron

P.S. All in good fun, Garrett.  Smile
Cheers,
Cameron

swatpamike

Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:09 am

Hello All

My University of South Florida BULLS pulled out a win against the powerhouse team from ELON. 28-13

GO BULLS

Next Saturday I am off to Auburn for our first test on the road.

GO BULLS

Cheers

swatpamike

KPDX

Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:43 am

Quoting PDXtriple7 (Reply 16):
My other team, Oregon, is now 1-0. Go Ducks!

Yep! Houston was the Ducks first victim, Michigan, here we come!

Quoting PDXtriple7 (Reply 16):
Only a few months until basketball season...

I know! Im buying season tix for all home games....cant wait!

KPDX  Smile

S12PPL
Topic Author

Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:14 pm

You're using numbers from 3 years ago....? Ok then.

Quoting HALFA (Reply 64):
UH is a school, not a schools.

Where did I mess up the plurality of the word? I'm confused... I looked twice, and can't find where I said "Hawaii is a schools"... Care to show me? I did say they are one of the worst schools academically. Is that bad gramar? I mean.... That seems to be a common use of the word. "Ohio state is one of the best schools in the nation." "The University of California at Berkeley is one of the best academic schools in the nation." I mean... am I missing something here?

Is this how a great PAC 10 school teaches you to write?

I didn't go to a Pac 10 school.... So they didn't teach me anything.

You clearly have it in for UH

No.... I'm just sick of people saying how great they are.... When they don't play true BCS schools very often.... And when they DO play them, they haven't performed all that well. They beat ASU last year... But let's be honest here. Oregon State beat the living tar out of ASU last season, as did a bunch of other Pac 10 schools.

You bash Colt and Hawaii at every juncture with ridiculous statements

Sorry, but he doesn't strike me as a Heisman winner. He plays on a team that just throws the ball 50-70 times a game. It isn't a very three dimensional offense. It's very one dimensional. That sort of thing just doesn't impress me. And I can't help it if I'm watching Sports Center while they're doing a piece about schools that are having trouble graduating their players, and they just so happen to mention that Hawaii is one of the worst around.

You are only making yourself and your great PAC 10 school look foolish

You mean that great Pac 10 school that beat your great football team?  Wink

Quoting KPDX (Reply 68):
Yep! Houston was the Ducks first victim

As I told a guy at work yesterday who was confident Oregon would beat Michigan: "I would be concerned that my team gave up over 500 yards of total offense Saturday. It's great that your offense is so good... You did put up a bunch of points.... But you also gave up a boat load of points and yards..."  Smile

smcmac32msn

Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:26 pm

Me and a large group of friends will be heading to LAS the weekend after your team plays there to watch UH play at UNLV on 9/15. Always a great road trip! U of Wisconsin and UNLV both wear red. It must be quite a sight at Sam Boyd Stadium with a packed house of red clad fans.

Yeah, thats quite a sight, but the better one was of the Capital One Bowl in Orlando this year.
Wisconsin 17
Arkansas 14

aloha73g

Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:55 pm

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 69):

Again YOU said:

None of your kids graduate anyways.

I personally know 2 UH football players (2003-2006 seasons) who were both starters. I went to high school with them, at one of the best high schools in the nation (academically and athletically). They are both VERY smart and they both graduated. Your statement is FALSE.

The University of Hawai'i is a great school and provides a quality education.....at an amazingly affordable price. Many of its programs are ranked near the top of their fields (Travel Industry Management, International Business, Astronomy, Oceanography, Marine Biology, Horticulture, etc.)

The University of Hawai'i has been a leader in research and discoveries on cloning and is in charge of the best telescope on earth. Sounds like a horribly substandard education. I'm surprised UH doesn't just surrender and fold into Oregon State due to its all around horrible-ness  Wink

And anyway...we're talking about the football teams!!

Sorry, but he doesn't strike me as a Heisman winner. He plays on a team that just throws the ball 50-70 times a game. It isn't a very three dimensional offense. It's very one dimensional. That sort of thing just doesn't impress me.

You obviously weren't watching last year. Our running game was very impressive (atleast for us it was). Ilaoa and Mauia did a great job and set many school records. Also, we have a great freshman running back this year (Pilares). He was the State High School Player of the Year his senior year of high school. Also, alot of our "running" plays start off with very short shovel passes and get counted as pass plays. Check out the reception stats for our RBs.

You mean that great Pac 10 school that beat your great football team?

yes, Oregon State is a great school with a great sports program. You don't need to insult other people's teams to support your own. My best friend went to Oregon State for a year, and I always liked them alot...until you opened your mouth.

Sorry, but he doesn't strike me as a Heisman winner.

As far as Colt & the Heisman. You might not think he will win, and he might not. Doesn't mean we can't support him or that you can't disagree. It is possible though to disagree without insulting other people and their positions.

You might not think Hawai'i is very good, but the experts (coaches and sportwriters) have both ranked Hawai'i above Oregon State and have raised UH's position on the top 25 this week.

-Aloha!

KPDX

Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:57 pm

Ooooh, look what we got here. A Oregon St-Hawai'i catfight.  Wink  duck 

S12PPL
Topic Author

Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:13 am

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 71):
It is possible though to disagree without insulting other people

I don't recall every instulting anyone personally. If you think I insulted you because I don't particularly think Hawaii is a great academic school.... Well you're very good at twisting words, then...

Again.... I can't help it if I'm watching Sports Center one day, and they happen to do a piece about graduation rates, and schools that are struggling, and they just so happen to mention UH as one of the worst. I very highly doubt that ESPN, ABC, etc would just pull those numbers out of their ass just for the sake of saying it.

I'm not "out to get" Hawaii. I'm merely repeating what a well respected TV network said during one of it's telecasts. Period. This wasn't 10 years ago, 5 years go, or even 3 years ago.

Oregon State is a great school with a great sports program.

Academically, yes... They're a good institution. The sports program, however, is still building. Baseball and Football don't make a great over all program  Wink If men's and women's basketball would ever get their acts together, we could be consistantly saying what a great over all year we had. Right now, our baseball program is the only progrogram bringing home the bacon, per say. Football is becoming a regular power house.

I personally know 2 UH football players (2003-2006 seasons)

So you know two guys that played there and graduated.... That's great for you. Refer again to my above statements on the report ESPN did.

smcmac32msn

Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:21 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 73):
I very highly doubt that ESPN, ABC, etc would just pull those numbers out of their ass just for the sake of saying it.

Do your really believe everything the media says?

AASuper83

Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:16 am

Where did Stuey12 go to school that gives him the credibility to trash UH academically? It is a good school, with many good programs as alluded to earlier.
Brennan is extremely good, UH is a good team, and nobody wants to schedule them. It's not UH's, or Brennan's fault the "BCS" teams are too chickenshit to play a good, non-BCS team.

Besides, what has Oregon State done since the 2000 Fiesta Bowl? Absolutely nothing.

S12PPL
Topic Author

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:25 am

Quoting AASuper83 (Reply 75):
Besides, what has Oregon State done since the 2000 Fiesta Bowl? Absolutely nothing.

lol.... Wouldn't it be nice if that were a true statement?

AirCop

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:37 am

Just happens to the lastest information from the NCAA, based on students are in school for 4-5 years before they graduate.

Quoting KPDX (Reply 68):
Yep! Houston was the Ducks first victim, Michigan, here we come!

Should be interesting to see how Michigan responds this week, wouldn't want to be Oregon going to Ann Arbor

allstarflyer

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:45 am

My bro went to Clemson, so I said in Falcon's Appalachian St. thread that I'm for them. Glad they started off by beating FSU.
Living the American Dream

AASuper83

Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:09 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 76):

lol.... Wouldn't it be nice if that were a true statement?

but it is.
If playing in mediocre bowl games is your idea of success, I guess they've been successful.
In 2001, when they were ranked in the top 10 to open the season, they didn't even finished ranked. Fresno State beat the hell out of them in the first game and it was all downhill.
In 2002, they went to a bowl game, the Insight Bowl (very prestigious, right?), and got romped by Pitt 38-13
In 2003, they beat the hell out of New Mexico in the Las Vegas Bowl. Wow. Very tough.
In 2004, they beat a lame duck Notre Shame team in the Insight Bowl.
In 2005, No Bowl.
In 2006, they beat Mizzou in the Sun Bowl.

What am I missing? Did they win a Nat'l championship somewhere along the line since 2000? Did they play in a BCS game? They had one upset over USC last year, but did their damndest to blow that one.

It must suck to be some fanatical fan of a mediocre team that will never win anything consequential. Have fun with your mid-tier bowl games.

KPDX

Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:16 am

Quoting AASuper83 (Reply 79):
Did they win a Nat'l championship somewhere along the line since 2000?

Oregon did.  duck   Wink

Sorry Matt.

senorcarnival

Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:24 am

In all fairness, they did beat UO 3 times since 2000 so they at least have that going for them.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

KPDX

Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:33 am

Quoting Senorcarnival (Reply 81):
In all fairness, they did beat UO 3 times since 2000 so they at least have that going for them.

Yep 3 times...During the Civil War, its normally always the home team advantage, when the OSU wins it.

S12PPL
Topic Author

Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:38 am

What am I missing?

You're missing a team that has one more Pac 10 games since 2001 than any other Pac 10 team.

You're missing a team that rebounded from a horrible start last year to win 10 games, and win the Sun Bowl.

You want to blame teams from the Pac 10 for what you call mediocre bowls? Our commissioner is a fricken retard. He won't enter into any bowl agreements with Florida bowls because he ACTUALLY thinks that it's cheaper for Pac 10 fans to travel to Hawaii to watch a game, than travel to Florida. Shit, at least you can drive to Florida.

You're missing a team with a damn good home record since 20001. I've gotta go find the numbers again, but they're either the best, or 2nd best behind USC.

They had one upset over USC last year, but did their damndest to blow that one

lol. Yeah, USC was a real slouch. That game was a great game. It was a hard fought game on both sides of the ball, and it took a real gut check to win it.

It must suck to be some fanatical fan of a mediocre team

Wow... You've proven you know jack shit. Good job!

that will never win anything consequential.

It must really suck being you.

Have fun with your mid-tier bowl games.

Again... Refer to my above statement about Mr. Hansen. The man is a schmuck. He doesn't deserve the job he has. He's the worst conference commissioner possibly... MAYBE behind the Big 12 commish.

Quoting KPDX (Reply 80):
Oregon did.

In what? Competative basket weaving?  Smile Talk to me when your team has won back to back national titles  Wink Just havin' fun with ya'  Smile

USAFHummer

Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:47 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 83):
He's the worst conference commissioner possibly... MAYBE behind the Big 12 commish.

The Big 12 commish, Dan Beebe is brand new, recently hired, what's he done to offend you in his short tenure?
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

HALFA

Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:20 am

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 84):
The Big 12 commish, Dan Beebe is brand new, recently hired, what's he done to offend you in his short tenure?

Probably nothing. He's just in a bad mood because his mighty Beavers from the powerful PAC 10 conference are getting their ass kicked by Cincinnati on national television. I'd be pissed too!  Smile

KPDX

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:05 pm

In what? Competative basket weaving? Talk to me when your team has won back to back national titles Just havin' fun with ya'

lmao! How does it feel that OSU is gettin beat semi badly by Cincinatti?  rotfl   rotfl 

aloha73g

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:16 pm

Cincinnati: 34
Oregon State: 3

Oregon State didn't play well at all. They reminded me of the Hawai'i teams from many years ago. Sloppy play, missed tackles, slow, penalties, etc. Hopefully they can turn it around and make something of themselves like last year. The PAC-10 seems to be turning into the USC show more and more each year.

-Aloha!

S12PPL
Topic Author

Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:38 pm

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 87):
Oregon State didn't play well at all. They reminded me of the Hawai'i teams from many years ago. Sloppy play, missed tackles, slow, penalties, etc. Hopefully they can turn it around and make something of themselves like last year. The PAC-10 seems to be turning into the USC show more and more each year.

They came out un-prepared in every aspect of the game. It wasn't even worth watching. They looked pathetic. At halftime they were saying some of the OSU players were getting IV's, etc.

They need to turn it around quick. They once again embarassed themselves on national TV

AASuper83

Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:39 pm

Boy, OSU sure shit themselves on National TV. Great bunch there, and they weren't exactly playing a heavyweight.

You're missing a team that rebounded from a horrible start last year to win 10 games, and win the Sun Bowl.

Wow, the Sun Bowl. I'm sure all teams shoot for a win in the Sun Bowl. I'm sure that's on everyone's "to-do" list, to take a trip to scenic El Paso to see two mediocre teams have at it.

You're missing a team with a damn good home record since 20001. I've gotta go find the numbers again, but they're either the best, or 2nd best behind USC.

That and a nickel will get you a nice cup of jack shit. How many conference titles since 2000 does OSU have to show? How many BCS wins? How many National Championships?

Wow... You've proven you know jack shit. Good job!

How exactly is OSU not mediocre? What hardware have they won? I've been to OSU, its a nice school, with good looking women and a nice stadium, but its still not a football powerhouse. Pac-10 or not. If Hawaii or Fresno State had a Pac-10 logo on their unis instead of a WAC one, would you still talk such trash about them?

It must really suck being you.

...because???
It must suck being you judging by how uptight and bitter you are on here.

S12PPL
Topic Author

Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:53 pm

Quoting AASuper83 (Reply 89):
Wow, the Sun Bowl. I'm sure all teams shoot for a win in the Sun Bowl. I'm sure that's on everyone's "to-do" list, to take a trip to scenic El Paso to see two mediocre teams have at it.

Wow... How clueless are you?

If Hawaii or Fresno State had a Pac-10 logo on their unis instead of a WAC one, would you still talk such trash about them?

Yeah, because of UH or Fresburg, or Boise State played in the Pac 10 they'd be middle, to bottom of the conference every single year.

How exactly is OSU not mediocre?

How? By posting winning seasons in every season since 2000 except in '05. Going to bowl games every year isn't a mediocre. That's proving you're a winning team. It isn't fault of Pac 10 teams that Hansen is a moron and can't enter into many good bowl agreements. But let's face it... Just because the east coast schools are close to Florida, that's why makes all of them say how "fantastic" the Florida bowls are. Anyone remember the Tangerine Bowl?? That one sure was a pile of crap.... No Pac 10 teams played in it.

Which Bowls do Pac 10 teams get to participate in? Let's go down the list that I can remember:

Rose (Pasadena California)
Holiday (San Diego)
Sun (El Paso)
Las Vegas
Emerald (San Francisco)

I'm sure an SEC, ACC, Big 12, or Big 10 school would love to send their fans to Las Vegas any day of the week for a bowl game. Just the fact that it's in Vegas is reason enough to go... Huge tourist draw.

Only the Emerald Bowl do I hate. But it's west coast... which means it's easier to get fans there. Just as Florida bowls are easy to get fans to for ACC, SEC, and Big East schools.

AASuper83

Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:29 pm

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 90):

Wow... How clueless are you?

Not as clueless as you obviously.

Yeah, because of UH or Fresburg, or Boise State played in the Pac 10 they'd be middle, to bottom of the conference every single year.

Sort of like Oregon State. And you have some balls, considering Boise has whipped OSU's ass all except once in recent games. Like last year for example. Fresno has a decent record against OSU too, though I don't know what it is off hand.

How? By posting winning seasons in every season since 2000 except in '05. Going to bowl games every year isn't a mediocre

You forgot 2001, superfan.
And Does it matter that they have winning seasons? Texas Tech has winning seasons, but they aren't a great team. 6-5 doesn't make a great team.

aloha73g

Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:50 pm

What hardware have they won? I've been to OSU, its a nice school, with good looking women and a nice stadium, but its still not a football powerhouse.

Hawai'i has better looking women. No contest!

-Aloha!

S12PPL
Topic Author

Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:35 am

Quoting AASuper83 (Reply 91):
Sort of like Oregon State

Sorry... Where did we finish last year? Oh yeah, 3rd place.

considering Boise has whipped OSU's ass all except once in recent games.

Wrong again, scooter. Boise and OSU split the series 2-2... Again, how clueless are you?

Fresno has a decent record against OSU too

No, they have a good record against OSU. 8-5 all time in their favor, and most of those wins came in the years when Oregon State was a total joke for 28 years in a row.

By the way, Oregon State leads the all time series against Boise State 4-2.

And Does it matter that they have winning seasons?

Yes. A winning season, by definition, is success, champ.

Since 2000, The Beavers are:

2000: 11-1
2001: 5-6 (That year sucked...)
2002: 8-5
2003: 8-5
2004: 7-5
2005: 5-6 (Choked down the home stretch.
2006: 10-4

That's 5 winning seasons out of 7. Go back to 1999, and they were 7-5. I sure wish I had Hawaii's record since '99

Oregon state is 61-32. Not steller, but certainly not "Mediocre".

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 92):
Hawai'i has better looking women. No contest!

Sorry, but ASU has better looking women than Oregon State and Hawaii combined...  Smile

AASuper83

Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:26 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 93):
Wrong again, scooter. Boise and OSU split the series 2-2... Again, how clueless are you?

Sorry, all that sticks out in my head is Boise 2 out of the past 3 years kicking Oregon State's ass on the blue turf. Real beatdowns too.

Sorry... Where did we finish last year? Oh yeah, 3rd place.

And? What did you win? A trip to the Sun Bowl? That's great.

By the way, Oregon State leads the all time series against Boise State 4-2.

How many of those wins came against Boise while they were I-AA? 2.

Oregon state is 61-32. Not steller, but certainly not "Mediocre".

Then you and I have different ideas on what we would call success.

S12PPL
Topic Author

Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:36 pm

Quoting AASuper83 (Reply 94):
Then you and I have different ideas on what we would call success.

Is a winning record success, or not? It's hardly a .500 average, either. Far from it. Now who has it out for another school?  Smile

How many of those wins came against Boise while they were I-AA? 2.

You didn't seem to care when you were popping off about Boise State's record against OSU. It was all well and good to say BSU was dominating Oregon State when you didn't know they have a losing record all time against OSU, and have failed to ever beat them in Corvallis.

And? What did you win? A trip to the Sun Bowl? That's great.

The Sun Bowl is a great bowl, with a great payout. Again, just because it isn't what you'd call a high tier bowl, doesn't make it shit. Yes, we all know it isn't a BCS bowl. Only 8 teams get to play in a BCS bowl, so no shit they're prestigious. Good call.

By the way, OSU has a winning record against the following:

Colorado
Hawaii
Illinois
Indiana
Notre Dame
Purdue
Utah
West Virginia

We're also 1-1 against Oklahoma

HALFA

Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:43 pm

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 95):
Is a winning record success, or not? It's hardly a .500 average, either. Far from it. Now who has it out for another school?

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 95):
By the way, OSU has a winning record against the following:

Colorado
Hawaii
Illinois
Indiana
Notre Dame
Purdue
Utah
West Virginia

We're also 1-1 against Oklahoma

Yes, OSU has an all time record of 4-3 vs. Hawaii. If you would like to look at recent history, meaning games held within the last 20 years, OSU is 1-2 vs. Hawaii.

I am all for people supporting their teams but you have taken it all to another level by disrespecting other teams and programs and I find it particularly annoying that you haven't humbled yourself in light of the fact that your team got its ass kicked on national television last night and yet you still want to shoot your mouth off and pound your chest about how successful OSU is.
How about this reality check.
OSU has an all time LOSING record against every other PAC 10 team! That's right. Even against that great football powerhouse Stanford! Not very enviable.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div...a/pac10/oregon_state/opponents.php

Read it and weep, and give the rest of us a break. I used to like OSU.

HALFA

AASuper83

Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:50 pm

I"m done arguing with Stuey12. It's obvious that he has taken blatant homerism to a new level.

Good call HALFA, that's pure pwnage on that Pac-10 thing.

And Stuey....good call on OSU having a winning record against Indiana. That's a hard, tough nosed team!

aloha73g

Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:00 pm

I hope you're not implying that an all time winning record over Hawai'i means anything. Except for a random year here and there (until 1999) Hawai'i was a perenially very very very sad Sad team. Looks Oregon State is rushing to fill the voide we left now that we are decent.

Maybe the PAC-10 will absorb the WAC, then a fter a year the "good" teams (USC, Oregon, Cal, UCLA, Hawai'i, UW, Boise State, etc) will break off to form a new conference (the break will be organized by Hawai'i this time) leaving OSU behind as the new "powerhouse" team in the new sad conference. One can dream!!

-Aloha!

S12PPL
Topic Author

Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:44 pm

Quoting HALFA (Reply 96):
and I find it particularly annoying that you haven't humbled yourself in light of the fact that your team got its ass kicked on national television last night

I have, thanks.

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 88):
They came out un-prepared in every aspect of the game. It wasn't even worth watching. They looked pathetic.

Oh, but wait... I haven't humbled myself. God, talk about seeing only what you want to. Jesus.  Yeah sure  banghead 

Even against that great football powerhouse Stanford!

Do you know the history at Stanford?

By the way, how many Heisman Trophy winners has Hawaii had? Any? Didn't think so.

OSU has an all time LOSING record against every other PAC 10 team

Yep. They do. That's what 28 years of losing will do for you.

I used to like OSU.

lol. God. You're gonna hate OSU cuz of me. Nice. Very nice. Oh well.  yawn 

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 98):
the "good" teams (USC, Oregon, Cal, UCLA, Hawai'i, UW, Boise State, etc)

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 
Hawaii? Washington? LOL!!! Take both of them out, and add Oregon State, and with Erickson at ASU, add ASU.