Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

runway23
Topic Author

Volunteering In Your Local Law Enforcement

Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:44 am

Does anybody here volunteer on their local law enforcement force?

My local university police/protection service have a program whereby you can become a volunteer and include dispatcher, coordinator, supervisor, clerk and research assistant jobs.

Obviously this would be a great way to help out the community, learn new things and experience whilst being good on the CV.

Anybody do this or have anything to add?

AirframeAS

RE: Volunteering In Your Local Law Enforcement

Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:46 am

Quoting Runway23 (Thread starter):

They have that here in Maricopa County (PHX) for Sheriff Joe. But they are old folks doing it. Its called "Sheriffs Posse". Sounds kinda...cheesy to me.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

MDorBust

Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:12 am

Volunteer? Heck, I tricked them into paying me. Just wait until they notice...  duck 
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

ShyFlyer

Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:45 am

Where I live the county sheriff's office has a reserve force. I have a few friends on the force and considered joining, but ultimately decided in favor of the Civil Air Patrol.

I think that volunteering with a reserve program would be an excellent way to serve one's community. It's also a good way to "test the waters" to see if a career in law enforcement is right for you.
I lift things up and put them down.

jafa39

Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:50 am

I would join a volunteer police force if I was allowed to string litter-louts up by their gonads and beat them senselsss, that and being allowed to use a sniper's rifle on taggers....that would surprise the bastards big-time  Wink
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

ryangooner

Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:43 pm

We have a volunteer scheme and also have whats called the special constabulary, who are basically volunteers but get the same uniform and powers of the regulars, they commit themselves to 16 hours per month and get expenses paid.
Do other forces around the world have this?

Ryan
ooh to ooh to be ooh to be a gooner!

KaiGywer

Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:54 pm

I don't know what Canada is like, but speaking from a US perspective. Many states have reserve police forces with full police powers, but they are unpaid and only have power while on duty. Other states have reserve police forces with very limited powers. If you are 14-21, there are also Police Explorers. Contact your local police force (or even surrounding areas if you are willing to drive). It is a lot of fun, but you also see a lot of shit that you will never forget.

Just, whatever you do, don't get into law enforcement just so you can walk around town in a police uniform  banghead 
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

MD11Engineer

Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:03 pm

Berlin state has a voluntary police reserve. They are wearing the old style blueish-grey uniforms and are armed. Back during cold war, the idea was that in case of a Soviet invasion, they would take over guard duties etc. from the regular police while the regular police would join the Allied military as a light infantry unit.

I don't know what they are doing now though.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

bablackpilot

Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:08 pm

Another way you could do some service to the community is if you have a ham radio license, you can do some time with your local ARES/RACES program. They are usually associated with local or county law enforcement. Where I'm from, when we are activated, we have similur powers as county law enforcement and depending on the type of service we are providing, you could be charged with a crime on the local or even federal level.
My arrogance is only an issue between you and your self-esteem!"

Queso

Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:24 pm

Quoting Bablackpilot (Reply 8):
Where I'm from, when we are activated, we have similur powers as county law enforcement and depending on the type of service we are providing, you could be charged with a crime on the local or even federal level.

Careful, unless you are deputized or comissioned you are still a civilian. You could put yourself at significant civil and criminal legal risk if you attempt to enforce laws on your own.

bablackpilot

Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:52 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 9):
Careful, unless you are deputized or comissioned you are still a civilian. You could put yourself at significant civil and criminal legal risk if you attempt to enforce laws on your own.

We are civilian until a major disaster hits or we are ordered active by Fema or the Sheriff himself. Then we have all rights that are associated with a deputy.
One example, we were activated by the Sheriff to assist in looking for a missing kid. Myself and my partner were entering a property where the kid was last seen. Once on the property, we advised the homeowner that we were sheriff officers (so required by our P&P) looking for a missing kid and if they can make sure all dogs are inside of the house so it will be safe enough for us to search. She refused and said she would sic her dog on us. We advised her that doing so would be a violation of the law and she told us she didn't care and that we didn't work for the sheriff department. Now mind you, we had on uniforms and showed our ID. She still didn't believe us, so she told her dog to get us. I didn't get bit but my partner did. I called in on our radios to dispatch. Within 3 minutes, we had 6 officers, a captan, paramedics, the dog catcher and a female officer to take the lady to jail. She was charged with attack on a peace officer. Her dog was impounded for 30 days and she had to pay a huge fine.
So while I'm not out enforcing the laws, I do have powers at certain times that other civilians don't have, especially in time of disaster.
I will say that not all counties allow this, but we had a wild sheriff back in the day and 90% of his rules stuck around after he retired. Our powers are one of them.....

KaiGywer

Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:11 pm

Quoting Bablackpilot (Reply 10):
She still didn't believe us, so she told her dog to get us.

Aim, squeeze, problem solved.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

57AZ

Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:20 pm

Here in Pima County, the Sheriff's Office has the Sheriff's Auxilary Volunteers-both sworn and unsworn positions are available. Oro Valley PD has volunteer police officers who are sworn and have full police powers. DPS also has sworn volunteer highway patrol officers.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

bablackpilot

Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:34 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 11):
Aim, squeeze, problem solved

For one, I'm a big animal lover and I would hate to kill something that was just protecting it's home. Second, the paperwork to explain why I shot a dog is more then I'm willing to deal with, which is why I rarely, rarely carry and third, I wasn't a big fan of my partner at that time so he deserved it.......

CaptOveur

Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:34 pm

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 2):
Volunteer? Heck, I tricked them into paying me. Just wait until they notice...

My paycheck just looks like I volunteer.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

KaiGywer

Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:52 pm

Quoting Bablackpilot (Reply 13):
For one, I'm a big animal lover

So am I.

Quoting Bablackpilot (Reply 13):
I would hate to kill something that was just protecting it's home.

If a dog charges me, I could care less if it was protecting its home

LOT767-300ER

Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:07 am

Why would you volunteer to be a police officer?!  crazy 

The only way Id be one is if I could be a volunteer highway cop. That would be great if I could just flash my lights and pass red lights without worry and do a buck twenty without a radar detector  bigthumbsup 

ANCFlyer

Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:19 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 16):
Why would you volunteer to be a police officer?!

Why would you not ?

Why do people - like you - have such a disdain for law enforcement?

I of course could answer that for you . . . but we all already know the answer . . . don't we . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

CaptOveur

Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:21 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 16):
Why would you volunteer to be a police officer?!

The great pay

The stylish uniforms

The way everyone just loves you.

sarcastic 

The free food is nice though.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

KaiGywer

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:51 am

I came across this page with links to many reserve/auxillary departments:

http://www.reservepolice.org/Links.htm