Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Boston92
Topic Author

Who Will Win The World Series (MLB) Part Three?

Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:22 pm

At the start of the 2007 season 16 of us chose who we thought would win the world series. Those picks?

Boston92: Boston Red Sox
PIA777: Chicago Cubs
Oli80: New York Mets
Pipo777: Arizona Diamondbacks
KaiGwyer: Minnesota Twins
Wrenchbender: Toronto Blue Jays
Thepilot: Detroit Tigers
FlyDeltaJets87: Cincinnati Reds
LHMARK: Los Angeles Angels
TLG: Milwaukee Brewers
Piercey: Houston Astros
ORFflyer: Atlanta Braves
Yellowstone: San Francisco Giants
ATCGOD: Seattle Mariners
YOWza: Wahington Nationals
Galapagapop: San Diego Padres

The rules were simple. Each user could choose one team and each team one user. Only 16 teams were chosen. The winner will get bragging rights (no one suggested any actual prizes).

As of today, here are the actual top 16 teams in the MLB:

Boston X
LA Angels X
Cleveland X
NY Mets X
San Diego X
NY Yankees X
Arizona X
Seattle
Detroit
LA Dodgers
Philadelphia
Colorado
Chicago Cubs X
Toronto
Milwaukee
St. Louis

An "X" indicates the teams that would make the post season if the season ended today. All but 2 of those teams were chosen (NYY, CLE), so there still is a chance that NO one will win our little game.

Post all comments regarding the game as well as general MLB discussions here.

The next thread will be released after the regular season ends with the finalists (users that chose teams that made it to the playoffs).

Cheers!

a380us

RE: Who Will Win The World Series (MLB) Part Three?

Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:29 pm

Well i would have chosen the NYM and i still pick the Mets (same teams)
www.JandACosmetics.com

Boston92
Topic Author

Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:30 pm

Quoting A380US (Reply 1):

I just don't think the Mets have what it takes to win 4 out of 7.

galapagapop

Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:14 pm

Even though I'm down for the Pods, I'm still rooting for my Sox, and am not to worried about the postseason just yet. In other news saw our old buddy Joel Pineiro just scrape together a win verse PIT (Thank god he ain't in the pen anymore). STL looks good I must say however.

AirframeAS

Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:21 pm

Seattle is tanking by the minute. They are now back to the losing side once again. I have zero hope that Seattle will make the playoffs at all this year. Good Riddance!

We will have to see how the Mariners front office is going to be handled in the off-season. I'm predicting they are going to clean house with the first victim will be Bavasi, that's for sure!
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Mir

Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:30 pm

Quoting Boston92 (Thread starter):
Boston X
LA Angels X
Cleveland X
NY Mets X
San Diego X
NY Yankees X
Arizona X
Seattle
Detroit
LA Dodgers
Philadelphia
Colorado
Chicago Cubs X
Toronto
Milwaukee
St. Louis

Damn, how bad is the NL Central that the 1st place Cubs are worse than almost every team in the NL West but still would get into the playoffs if the season ended today? That's bodering on blatantly unfair to the Dodgers and Rockies.

I'll pick the Yankees to go all the way. Clemens' injury and Mussina's struggles are reasons for concern, but there's something different about the team this year.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

KROC

Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:16 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 5):
I'll pick the Yankees to go all the way. Clemens' injury and Mussina's struggles are reasons for concern, but there's something different about the team this year.

Yeah, they have young players. Too bad Hughes sucks and Joba is only allowed to pitch an inning every couple of days.

JetJock22

Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:58 pm

I believe it's gonna be the Indians vs. Mets in the series with CLE taking it in 5 games

ORFflyer

Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:18 pm

Well, with the Braves in the tank right now, I don't know. I'm still rooting for them, but at 8-1/2 games back with about 25 to play - it ain't looking good.

Without the Braves, I'd like to see, and think there is a good chance of it happening.......

Mets vs Red Sox - Seven games, one of them wins.  Big grin

Falcon84

Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:46 am

Well, the AL races are ceasing to be "races" at the moment, as all are at least 7 games up on their closest rival. The Red Sox and Angels seemingly have weathered charges from the Yankees and Mariners, respectively, and the Indians over the last 3 weeks are playing the best of any team in the Majors. The real race now is between the Yankees, Tigers and Mariners for the Wild Card spot. I have a hunch Detroit is going to warm up here at the end, and take that spot, and will play either Boston or Los Angeles in the first round.

Trying to pick between the Angeles, Indians and Red Sox as to whom will represent the AL, at this time, is a toss-up, I think. The Indians are peeking at the right time, and might have what it takes to win the Pennant. But I still have to go with the BoSox right now, as they're a bit more of a veteran team, and have been through the post-season fires before.
Work Right, Fly Hard

smcmac32msn

Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:55 am

John Madden Moment:

Theres gonna be one team from the NL and one team from the AL that makes the World Series, one of them is gonna win a bunch of games, something like 4 of them. But before they go to the World Series, they have to win a bunch of games between them and 2 other teams. Each the NL and the AL have 4 teams that make the playoffs. Not as many as the NFL, the superior league, cuz Brett Favre is a quarterback and I love him. I want to make love to his butt, and I do after every time he's on MNF. MNF is short for Monday Night Football, where Michael Irvin once had a crack-pipe on the sidelines. Where was I.... Oh yeah, one of the teams from Major League Baseball is gonna win the World Series and nobody cares about the NHL because the NFL is the superior league and the NHL teams cant play in our playoffs.

GO PACKERS & BREWERS

EDIT:
These are not my true feelings about the NHL, I love that league and think thats a superior league to the other two. Don't flame me for picking on the NHL in this post.

[Edited 2007-09-05 17:57:52]
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

N1120A

Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:12 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 9):

Trying to pick between the Angeles, Indians and Red Sox as to whom will represent the AL, at this time, is a toss-up, I think. The Indians are peeking at the right time, and might have what it takes to win the Pennant. But I still have to go with the BoSox right now, as they're a bit more of a veteran team, and have been through the post-season fires before.

The Tribe isn't going to get past the Angels or the Sox, and certainly not both. The Halos have been hot and Garrett Anderson has been the AL MVP in the second half, not to mention that he, John Lackey and K-Rod all have World Series rings.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Boston92
Topic Author

Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:04 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 11):

A LAA, Boston ALCS would be great. I would love to go down and watch a game, but I will be in Dallas for most of the series.

Nevertheless, I see the AL winning it this year. This is how I see it for the AL:

Boston wins the WS
LAA lose in the ALCS
Detroit and Cleveland lose in ALDS.

And...I really dont give a shit about the NL, lol.

Falcon84

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:01 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 11):
The Tribe isn't going to get past the Angels or the Sox, and certainly not both. The Halos have been hot and Garrett Anderson has been the AL MVP in the second half, not to mention that he, John Lackey and K-Rod all have World Series rings.

I hope everyone under-rates the Indians like that. Their starting 4 of Sabathia, Carmona, Byrd and Westbrook are pitching lights-out right now; their bullpen, especially Perez, Bentancourt and Borowski have been lights out. Their offense is playing its best ball of the year.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but if the Tribe keeps this up, they won't go easily, and I wouldn't want to play them. Hell, I think any of the 4 coming out of the AL can take anyone from the NL right now.
Work Right, Fly Hard

N1120A

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:40 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 13):
Hell, I think any of the 4 coming out of the AL can take anyone from the NL right now.

I think the NL gets a lot of crap it doesn't deserve. There has been a lot of under performance (the Dodgers) and the pitching is there to tear even excellent line ups apart.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 13):
Their starting 4 of Sabathia, Carmona, Byrd and Westbrook are pitching lights-out right now

I would still rather have Escobar, Lackey, Weaver and Saunders.  Wink
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Boston92
Topic Author

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:54 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 14):
I think the NL gets a lot of crap it doesn't deserve.

They get a lot of crap, but most of it is well deserved.

ORFflyer

Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:22 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 14):
I think the NL gets a lot of crap it doesn't deserve.

yes 

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 15):
They get a lot of crap, but most of it is well deserved.

no  It's the jealously of the senior circuit.  Wink