Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

saxdiva

RE: College Football Thread: Week 2

Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:19 am

My team got a couple of lucky breaks that helped them edge out BYU, but the offense looked HORRIBLE. I'm getting such a sinking sense of deja vu it isn't even funny.

If we don't start turning things around, league play is gonna get ugly.  Sad
See terms for details....

JetJock22

Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:29 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 20):
They won't get a test for a few weeks

Don't look past Washington. Night game on their turf, that's not gonna be an east task by any stretch of the imagination.

senorcarnival

Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:54 am

Quoting JetJock22 (Reply 51):

It's at 12:30pm PDT according to Yahoo! Sports, but nonetheless, it will probably still be a good game. I think OSU - Wisconsin will probably be the defining Big 10 game as things stand now.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

D L X

Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:03 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 20):
I can imagine what Wolverine fan is going through right now.

I think we've all moved to the 4th stage -- acceptance. We are going to have a shit year. I personally think that if we lose to Notre Dame in the Big House next week, Lloyd Carr will be removed before the Big 10 opener.

JetJock22

Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:05 am

Quoting Senorcarnival (Reply 52):
It's at 12:30pm PDT

Hmm. I could have sworn it was a night game. Oh well. Still gonna be a good game, night or day. I wouldn't take Washington lightly any time.

KPDX

Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:48 am

Quoting Scottieprecord (Reply 48):

Quoting FXramper (Reply 41):

Bet you guys didnt get to see it from the air!  Wink

Last night, after takeoff from AUS (Frontier A318 to DEN), we made a righthand turn to the West, and I saw the game going on from the air and have a short video I shot of it.  bigthumbsup 
And then payed 5 bucks to watch the game on the PTV.  Smile

Boston92

Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:13 am

Notre Dame (0-2) and Michigan (0-2)...I'll bet you all 1 million dollars that one will see a win next week.

srbmod

Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:07 am

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 56):
Notre Dame (0-2) and Michigan (0-2)...I'll bet you all 1 million dollars that one will see a win next week.

Makes you wish they still had ties, doesn't it?

The polls are out, and USC is still number 1, but LSU did cut into their lead. One interesting note is that App. State received votes in the AP poll. Who would have thought a FCS/1-AA program would ever receive votes in the polls that aren't for their Division? The AP recently changed their rules and allow votes for any team in NCAA Division 1 (FBS and FCS). I wouldn't be surprised if App. State managed to crack the Top 25 in that poll (They already are the top ranked team in the polls for the FCS.)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/s...&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

bhmbaglock

Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:19 am

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 46):
Holy cow, Auburn lost in OT!?

The Bulls played it tough and although their field goal kicker sucks big time (2/6 with the longest attempt being about 37 yds) they hung in and got the win. They don't get nearly the respect they deserve simply because they're so new to D-I football.

Auburn on the other hand was perfect on field goals and there really wasn't anything to criticize on the defense. They did give up the game winning touchdown in OT but this was after holding the Bulls to a 4th down and earlier preventing them(with help from the Bulls field goal kicker) from scoring a single point from 5 turnovers. Auburns offense definitely lost the game with a lot of help from truly dismal kickoffs - the deepest kick of the night from Auburn hit at the 10!

I took my son to the game and we had a good time despite the loss but it was very late getting out of there as the game was a late start and went well over 4 hrs. We didn't get to the hotel until past 1:30. Could be worse, Swatpamike was staying in Columbus and had a 9:30 flight home from BHM.

Oh well, at least AU should have a relatively easy two weeks coming up to regroup. Are you going to the game next week? I'm not sure yet if I'll be going or not.
Where are all of my respected members going?

smcmac32msn

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:06 pm

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 34):
At least it wasnt the Citadel SLAUGHTERING Webber Int'l 76-0. Wish I got to see that game.

Next weeks Citadel game, look for around the same score, but with Wisconsin on top.

Quoting Senorcarnival (Reply 45):
I hope it's because UNLV is better than people give them credit for not because of a lazy Wisconsin team that just didn't show up.

I think UNLV is a lot better than people give them credit for. They've got a tough offensive set to play against. I was shocked that the Badgers only gave up 13 points (against the spread offense) after giving up 21 last week to Wash St. I don't think it was a lazy Badgers team at all, I think its just that the Runnin' Rebels just have so many options on offense and defense. Wisconsin just showed they had a few more plays in them, and made 1 less (the only mistake: an interception by Wisconsin) mistake than UNLV.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

MD-90

Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:22 pm

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 58):

Oh well, at least AU should have a relatively easy two weeks coming up to regroup. Are you going to the game next week? I'm not sure yet if I'll be going or not.

Yes, I'll be in the band during the annual slaughter.

deltagator

Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:11 pm

Florida beat a good Troy team though the outcome wasn't the greatest. We scored 7 touchdowns to start the game. Unfortunately we came back out and sucked it up on defense in the second half. We are young on the defense and play like Saturday's against SEC teams can guarantee us a loss or two in close games. We need to get our act together as Tennessee comes to The Swamp this weekend for the SEC opener. Should be a good one.

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 46):
Holy cow, Auburn lost in OT!?

I hate seeing SEC teams lose to non-conference opponents but this was a great win for USF. To think that 10 years ago they were just fielding a team for the first time and have now knocked off an upper tier program like Auburn. That's pretty amazing. My dad even had a little smile on his face as a USF alum and he could have cared less about the school 10 seconds after he graduated.

Plus it was a team from Florida and they beat the War Eagles/Tigers/Plainsmen (Pick and effing mascot you hillbillies!!!) so that's a plus as well.

Quoting D L X (Reply 53):
I think we've all moved to the 4th stage -- acceptance.

So you've admitted you have a problem?  Wink

Quoting D L X (Reply 53):
We are going to have a shit year. I personally think that if we lose to Notre Dame in the Big House next week, Lloyd Carr will be removed before the Big 10 opener.

Perhaps. My personal opinion is he should fire the defensive coordinator. They can't stop anyone right now. I'm thinking that even with my slowness from not playing in a few years that as a fullback I could get out there and batter a few yards against them.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

AirportSeven

Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:41 pm

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 56):

Double or nothing says one will be 0-3 after next weekend.

D L X

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:19 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 61):
My personal opinion is he should fire the defensive coordinator.

I've heard a lot of people say that, and I'm not so sure. The D-coordinator wasn't responsible for Michigan only putting up 7 points last Saturday. On top of that, he REALLY performed last year. We were pretty sharp on defense all year. Only USC and OSU were able to penetrate it.

deltagator

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:37 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 63):
The D-coordinator wasn't responsible for Michigan only putting up 7 points last Saturday.

You have a point there but they did give up 34 and 39 points in successive weeks.

Quoting D L X (Reply 63):
On top of that, he REALLY performed last year. We were pretty sharp on defense all year.

But you guys lost a ton of defensive players right? You have a lot of junior guys playing this year which never bodes wells (see above comments about my Gators and at least one or two losses this year because of the defense.)

It might seem kind of crappy to get rid of the D-coordinator but given their inability to stop anything these last two weeks you have to question him somewhat.

Ultimately, if they lose to ND in a poor game I would expect Carr to be gone as the head coach. They have look poorly prepared in both of their games so far and that responsibility falls upon the head coach.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

da man

Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:04 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 61):
the War Eagles/Tigers/Plainsmen (Pick and effing mascot you hillbillies!!!)

Tigers are the official mascot; War Eagle is the standard greeting and also the name of the Eagle that flies around the stadium and is our symbolic mascot, and Plainsmen is regarding the campus newspaper. Big grin
War Eagle!

deltagator

Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:32 am

Quoting Da man (Reply 65):
Tigers are the official mascot; War Eagle is the standard greeting and also the name of the Eagle that flies around the stadium and is our symbolic mascot, and Plainsmen is regarding the campus newspaper.

I know the differences. I just like giving Auburn fans a hard time.  Wink

D L X

Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:32 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 64):
Ultimately, if they lose to ND in a poor game I would expect Carr to be gone as the head coach.

Yeah. We were all stunned and angered after App-State. (Note my reaction to people on a.net!)

But after Oregon, we're depressed, and we're not going to games*. Not going to games means less money for the school, and fewer tickets bought next year, which means even less money to the school. Michigan won't stand for that. That's why I think Carr will be gone mid-year -- so that Michigan can get its ticket sales back up to normal.

*Before anyone says how awful Michigan fans are if we stop going to games, please note that a very sizeable portion of the crowd comes from out of town ++every weekend++ to fill that 110,000 seat stadium. I saw the Oregon game at the Michigan bar in DC, and sat next to people from Roanoke that would normally have made the 12 hour drive to Ann Arbor as they do every week, but they couldn't justify it this time. With that said, when people found that out, they immediately received offers from other bar patrons to take their Notre Dame seats for next week.

smcmac32msn

Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:58 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 67):
Before anyone says how awful Michigan fans are if we stop going to games, please note that a very sizeable portion of the crowd comes from out of town ++every weekend++ to fill that 110,000 seat stadium.

I'd hope so considering that stadium doubles the size of the city on weekends. Ann Arbor is 114,000 people.... Michigan Stadium 110,000
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

MD-90

Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:22 am

Quoting Da man (Reply 65):
Tigers are the official mascot; War Eagle is the standard greeting and also the name of the Eagle that flies around the stadium and is our symbolic mascot, and Plainsmen is regarding the campus newspaper.

Don't forget "Go Big Blue!"

aloha73g

Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:41 am

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 69):
Don't forget "Go Big Blue!"

IBM has a football team???  Wink

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

piercey

Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:06 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 67):
Yeah. We were all stunned and angered after App-State. (Note my reaction to people on a.net!)

btw, ND will beat you next week  yes 

and oh yeah...

[rant] TAKE THAT TOMMY YOU BACKSTABBING SONUVAB****!!!!! HOPE YOUR WOLFPACK ROT IN ****!!!!! [/rant]

GO EAGLES! GO IRISH!

piercey in CLE  Sad
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

KPDX

Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:09 pm

Quoting Piercey (Reply 71):

ND? L-O-L.  rotfl 

Once again, like always, most overated team in America, always has been IMHO.

deltagator

Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:25 pm

Quoting KPDX (Reply 72):
ND? L-O-L.

Now hold on a second...ND was good and not always overrated...back in the 50s.  Wink

Boston92

Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:32 am

Quoting KPDX (Reply 72):

Overrated? They really are not overrated. No one has honestly said that they think ND is the best team or even a good team. They dont have a national tv contract because they are a great football team. They have it because of their tradition. They have it because people love watching them (except you guys). Notre Dame is the winningest football program in all of college football. And for that...it really doesn't matter how they are doing currently...but what they have done in the past.

deltagator

Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:00 pm

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 74):
Notre Dame is the winningest football program in all of college football.

I believe you will find Michigan holds that record in both number of wins and winning percentage as well.

it really doesn't matter how they are doing currently

You want to try to explain that to Ty Willingham?

but what they have done in the past.

Past? Past what? 100 years? Then yes they have tradition. But if you want to look at the past 15 years they haven't done squat worthy of their loftiness the school, true alumni, and subway alumni that could never even get into St. Philomena's School for Wayward Girls seem to think they do.

Do we have to go over all the stupidity and losing they have put on the field in the last decade yet again?

piercey

Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:14 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 75):
Do we have to go over all the stupidity and losing they have put on the field in the last decade yet again?

No, not really......  Sad

I still have the ticket stub from the last time ND beat USC: 1999. Although I love cheering for ND, this is starting to get repetitive very quickly. All I know is that I'm starting to wonder about the ability of the recruiters.

As far as Tyrone goes, I still believe to this day he got the rawest deal on the planet. He didn't even get to see one of his classes graduate...

piercey in CLE  Sad
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

Boston92

Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:20 pm

I believe you will find Michigan holds that record in both number of wins and winning percentage as well.

I stand corrected. Michigan has a .745 winning percentage and Notre Dame has .744 winning percentage.

So what if they have not had the best decade. Big deal. You brought up winning percentage earlier...Notre Dame is number 2 behind Michigan. Winning perecentage is probably the fairest way to rank teams, because it doesn't matter how long you have been around, it is just an average...and an average that Notre Dame is better than just about everybody at. They are in a slump right now. Give Clauson an O-Line who knows how to block, and they would be contendors.

deltagator

Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:29 pm

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 77):
So what if they have not had the best decade. Big deal.

I think Tyrone Willingham would beg to differ. If ND has a bad year and they don't fire Weis then everyone in the AD department and every priest that had a hand in hiring and firing Willingham should be taken outside and executed summarily. What an effing disgrace your school performed with him to turn around and tolerate the crappiness of the Weis coaching debacle.

Here's a stat for you...1, that's right, 1 offensive touchdown has been scored in the 2+ seasons that Weis has been at ND with a player he recruited and that was last year. And yet the ND fans will complain that Willingham's poor recruiting left the cupboard bare. I say Hooey! At least his players scored.

3 million dollars...3 points against GT...you're getting a hell of a return on investment there Golden Domers. I thought he was supposed to be an offensive genius? Maybe he is but it seems he can't recruit worth a damn to apply his craft.

At the end of the day this is college football we are talking about. Who gives a damn about tradition? We saw what that did for Michigan in the Big House the past two weeks. This is college football...what have you done for me lately? That's the question to be answered. In the case of ND I believe you'll find the answer is nothing.

Boston92

Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:06 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 78):
2+ seasons

Wrong. 1 game, not 2 seasons. He has played one game. Get your facts straight.

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 78):
I think Tyrone Willingham would beg to differ.

Who the hell cares what Willingham has to say? He was a horrible coach. Even worse than Pete Caroll.

You keep on bagging Weis. Tell me the record ND had Willinghams last two years compared to Weis's first 2. You have no argument.