Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

7LBAC111
Topic Author

Madeline McCann -Mother A Suspect!

Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:02 pm

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,70131-1283158,00.html

Quote:
Kate McCann could be charged with the accidental death of her daughter, according to a family member.
Philomena McCann told Sky News that police have suggested Kate killed Madeleine by mistake.

Not that I'm in the slightest bit surprised, I always thought there was something funny about her.....

7L
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

moo

RE: Madeline McCann -Mother A Suspect!

Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:09 pm

So why the mother and not the father? You have to wonder the logic behind this move, although Im sure they have good reason.

TheSonntag

Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:10 pm

Some years ago, a similiar situation occurred in Germany.

A small baby was crying very loud, the parents got angry, the father kicked into the stomach of the child. It died later, could have been rescued if they had called the police, but instead they didn't want to be caught, thus waited until the child was dead.

The threw the child into the waste and informed the media that their child was kidnapped by some kidnapper. Many people searched for the child, until police found out what really had happened.

Unbelievable what humans can do. Nevertheless, also in the Madeleine case, she is only a suspect so far. We'll have to wait what the results of the investigation will be.

B747forever

Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:13 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 2):

OMG this world is so cruel.
Work Hard, Fly Right

LifelinerOne

Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:15 pm

Quoting Moo (Reply 1):
So why the mother and not the father?

They said that blood was found on one of her dresses. Also, Portuguese law needs the police to identify someone as a suspect when they want to ask certain specific questions. These can't be asked if the person is a witness. When transferring one from witness to suspect, the police also need to show it's evidence to the one suspected.

I think the police is testing the waters here to see if one of them tells a different story and how she will react to the evidence they have gathered during the investigations in the hope for a crackdown of one of them.

Cheers!  wave 
Only Those Who Sleep Don't Make Mistakes

QANTAS077

Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:25 pm

said it all along in another forum that they're not looking closely enough at the parents and got called a bastard for thinking it, the whole thing is suspect when you consider that 3 kids were left in a room on their own, I still think he or she or both of them know exactly what happened.

IFEMaster

Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:35 pm

I said from day one that the parents know exactly what happened and where she is. I'm surprised that it's taken this long for the Portuguese police to take a long hard look at mum and dad.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

D L X

Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:39 pm

Can someone tell me why this is international news? I really don't get it.

Kieron747

Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:41 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 7):

sarcastic  Seeing as at one point they were looking all over Europe and North Africa?  sarcastic 
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.

808TWA

Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:47 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 7):

Because a worldwide request was started by the parents to help them find their child way back when this all transpired.

I always had a suspicious link in my mind about this event connecting it to the family. With so many people around the world involved with this case whether it was through news media or mass-emailing or word of mouth to help find the child, I find it incomprehensible that no valid clues or leads were found.

In some ways it rings bells with the Bennet Ramsey case in the US.

Hope justice is brought to whomever was involved with disappearance of the child....and although unlikely, I hope for the little girl that she is found alive.
Love is in the air, so practice safe flying

jamesbaldwyn

Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:56 pm

Must be heartbreaking if it turns out not to be her.

D L X

Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:04 am

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 8):
Seeing as at one point they were looking all over Europe and North Africa?

I don't know why that makes it a story of public importance. Is this person famous?

AirPacific747

Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:11 am

So? How about the 1000s of other children that disappear from all over the world every year? If they all got as much media attention as Madeleine, we wouldn't be hearing about anything else.

Is this fair to all the other families who are missing a relative?

Quoting LifelinerOne (Reply 4):
They said that blood was found on one of her dresses.

Apparently they found Madeleine's blood in a rental car, the parents rented many days AFTER Madeleine disappeared.

[Edited 2007-09-07 17:20:17]

airfoilsguy

Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:19 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 7):

I don't remember even hearing about the original case. Any links?
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

airfoilsguy

Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:20 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 11):
Is this person famous?

Probably rich.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

LifelinerOne

Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:22 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 12):
Apparently they found Madeleine's blood in a rental car, the parents rented many days AFTER Madeleine disappeared.

If the parents are the perps, it will be really sad and they will also have a lot of enemies around the globe. A lot of famous people chipped in to raise the GBP 1 million reward for the tip leading towards Madeline. Those will also be very upset by that news.

Well, no one's guilty untill proven!

Cheers!  wave 

jamesbaldwyn

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 13):

http://www.findmadeleine.com/

808TWA

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 13):

Key links can be found on right hand side of this page:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6983604.stm
Love is in the air, so practice safe flying

AirPacific747

Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:27 am

Quoting LifelinerOne (Reply 15):
Well, no one's guilty untill proven!

True.. it could have been someone else (the real murderers/kidnappers) wanting to make the parents look like the murderers...

7LBAC111
Topic Author

Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:27 am

I don't know why that makes it a story of public importance

It is more of public interest rather than importance, but arguably made so by the media frenzy the parents seemed able to conjure up.

I agree with the comments above, I never quite connected with the family, there was never any real raw emotion. Look at little Rhys Jones, shot in Liverpool a fortnight ago. His parents were distraught, some of the most heartwrenching footage I have ever watched was the press conference after he was shot.

Yet his parents had closure, the McCann's arguably had it worse, supposedly not knowing where there daughter was. To me that would be impossible to cope with. And posing for photos, having armbands made, etc etc,is frankly not the actions of grieving parents. In my mind.

7L

ltbewr

Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:29 am

The system of criminal justice is different in Portugal than it is in the UK and the USA. As noted above, apparently the Portugal police are limited in their questioning of a witness vs. that of a named suspect, but that may also give the mother better legal protections. It also puts pressure on a parent or parents to admit guilt if they are. Certain evidence may be considered there but not in a UK/USA legal system. I would also note that unlike the UK or USA, Portugal limits the amount of information of a crime to the public to protect the case and the accused.
We have seen in Europe as well as in the USA in a number of case dead, murdered and missing children where a parent was ultimatly found to responsible for or admit guild for the act. In some cases, investigations were screwed up and parents not immediately suspect due to the long held belief that a parent wouldn't kill their child unless mentally ill.
As to the worldwide attention to this case, it includes that the girl went missing in unusual circumstances, on vacation/holiday, to an English speaking family, the parents make an attractive and 'normal' middle class appearance and are able to articulate their case to the press. Unfortunately some of the locals are turning against the mother, seeing how it is taking valuable police time from other matters, is getting too much attention, makes the locals look bad and they suspect the mother anyway from the public evidence.

LifelinerOne

Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:30 am

According to Dutch news agency NOS, dad is also a suspect...

Cheers!  wave 

skidmarks

Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:55 am

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 19):
Yet his parents had closure, the McCann's arguably had it worse, supposedly not knowing where there daughter was. To me that would be impossible to cope with. And posing for photos, having armbands made, etc etc,is frankly not the actions of grieving parents. In my mind.

An American friend of mine lost his son a couple of years ago, just disappeared in the mountains. He and his wife threw themselves into the search and during the days that followed didnt appeaer to show much emotion. However, I know they were, and still are, torn up inside. Some people are just not that way inclined.

In this sad case I really think everyone has to wait until something positive is held against the parents before condemming them. As usual the media make the most of every snippet of information they get and sometimes it's completely the wrong end of the stick. Whether they are the perpetrators or not, until it is proven in court then no one has the right to accuse them of anything.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

7LBAC111
Topic Author

Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:25 am

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 22):
An American friend of mine lost his son a couple of years ago, just disappeared in the mountains. He and his wife threw themselves into the search and during the days that followed didnt appeaer to show much emotion. However, I know they were, and still are, torn up inside. Some people are just not that way inclined.

I'm really sorry to hear that, and of course feel for people in that situation.

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 22):
Whether they are the perpetrators or not, until it is proven in court then no one has the right to accuse them of anything.

But just to clear up any misinterpretation, I made no accusation, other than to express my scepticism on a case that I have followed closely since May 3rd, simply because something to me never made sense. I couldn not, nor can I now, put my finger on what it is that has kept my attention for so long, when as pointed out by others, there are hundreds of missing children all over the world.

To reiterate, in my mind, not necessarily everyones elses, something about this has never added up. And I will await the outcome of the investigation with eagerness, clinging to the hope that the poor little girl is found. Because the media would have you think that the victims here were Gerry and Kate, and not little Madeline herself.

7L

ajd1992

Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:41 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 14):
Probably rich.

Yup. Leading brain surgeon i think.

There is no way they can't have something to do with it. Something smells sour here, if you look at all the facts. Way too suspicious.

sunshine79

Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:53 am

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Thread starter):
I always thought there was something funny about her.....

That´s exactly what I think. I know you shouldn´t judge a book by it´s cover, but you can tell just by looking at her that something isn´t right.
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

PlymSpotter

Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:02 am

Quoting Sunshine79 (Reply 25):
That´s exactly what I think. I know you shouldn´t judge a book by it´s cover, but you can tell just by looking at her that something isn´t right.

The body language of both of them, especially the father actually, did seem very odd when they made several interviews a while ago. The whole thing is very strange as far as I'm concerned and, to be frank, the way they have milked the situation is incredible, I know they 'want their daughter back' but the media attention they have brought about is completely unprecidented.

I guess we'll see as it pans out.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

rfields5421

Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:04 am

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 19):
I never quite connected with the family, there was never any real raw emotion.

People grieve differently - by the time the TV cameras get involved the parents have been over it hundreds of times. Our perceptions of how people should react is based more on movie actors views of how the emotions should be portrayed than real people with real emotions.

There is an old saying by police about families in crimes.

Either they are cold and emotionless,

Or they are hystronic and overly emotional.

To the police and the media there is no such thing as real emotion.

The family is always the first suspects, at least in the US. The police look for the family to prove their innocence, while the police try to figure out how it was done and covered up.

Yes, that's unfair and against our "Innocent until proven guilty" concept - but it also finds the real criminals a vast, vast majority of the time.

Even in today's climate of supposedly random violence - the family is guilty well over 80% of the time.
Not all who wander are lost.

sunshine79

Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:08 am

I was a bit too young to remember, but did Ben Needham (little boy who went missing in Greece) get this much media attention?
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

rfields5421

Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:20 am

Quite a bit. I remember hearing about the boy in the US.

The amount of media outlets and the competition for the news dollar/ viewer is a full order of magnitude more today than 10 years ago. 16 years ago most of the world did not have CNN.

The Internet was just a few geeks. Cell phones were only for the rich. People traveling on vacation in a country with a different language had almost no source of news.

It was literally a different world back then.

noelg

Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:58 am

It's about time I must say. Finally it is revealed what many have suspected all along, but been shot down in flames for saying. The Sunday Express newspaper printed their doubts that this is not what is seems several weeks ago, but were slammed and since then have been the same as the other newspapers, playing on the safe side. Ridiculous.

I've said since day one that there's more to this than meets the eye, and although I thought it was more likely to be him behind it I wouldn't be surprised if he were just covering her ass.

I absolutely despise these two people, they have been swanning around the world raising money for the "fund" (which incidentally was set up almost immediately - very quick considering the circumstances), why did their lawyer arrive on the scene within 24 hours of the girl going missing, and after she was finally named as a suspect, why did her sister come out with "the police think she's accidentally killed her and hidden the body" so quickly - why would you say such a thing on the spur of the moment?

At the very least these individuals should be charged with neglect for leaving three helpless babies on their own every night of their holiday while they were out getting p!$$ed - if not something more serious.

And to think these people are doctors, in charge of looking after other people's children.....

rfields5421

Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:42 am

Quoting Noelg (Reply 30):
why did their lawyer arrive on the scene within 24 hours of the girl going missing,

If anyone you love or is important to you suddenly disappears or is violently killed - if you are innocent you need your lawyer quickly. Of course they know they are suspects and if they are totally innocent they need their lawyer to try and keep the police focused on finding the kid.

But also if they are guilty, they want their lawyer there to confuse the police.

Quoting Noelg (Reply 30):
and after she was finally named as a suspect, why did her sister come out with "the police think she's accidentally killed her and hidden the body" so quickly - why would you say such a thing on the spur of the moment?

The part about "accidentally killed" isn't new or spur of the moment. It's been around the news for a couple of weeks.

The only thing different about the past 36 hours is that it is apparently formal.

GDB

Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:30 am

I think I'll wait to despise two people I do not know, until we know for sure that one or both really was involved.

The McCann family here, point to an offer they say was made to the mother, to 'confess' and get a very light sentence.
But, Portugal has fixed length sentences, so can this be true?
They also allude to the international and media soaked nature of this investigation, where to be blunt, the local police have not looked too good at times, initially in the very slow response, with the slow and apparently very poor sealing of the crime scene, which likely lost much significant forensics.
(UK forensics officers drafted in to help a few days in, were appalled by what they saw apparently).

But, Portugal is a modern, democratic EU state, it's grim dictatorship is over 30 years gone never to return.
As pointed out, the local legal system is very different to ours, which may colour perceptions here.

OTOH, the statistics for family involvement in crimes against children are grim, 'stranger danger' is actually rare, but when it happens, media coverage of the tabloid kind, makes this not seem to be the case-but that's true of many crimes in general too.

In other words, I've no idea where this investigation is going, certainly it seems to be taking an even darker turn now.
So I'll not bother with saying 'I always thought they did it' or similar, because I, like just about everyone else, really does not really know much about this case really.

sw733

Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:40 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 7):

When many American kids/adults go missing (i.e. Natalee Holloway, Laci Peterson, Elizabeth Smart), it makes news around the world. Cue the Missing White Woman Syndrome.

Yeah...hmmm....not good for their defense.

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 24):
Something smells sour here, if you look at all the facts. Way too suspicious.

Agreed.

rfields5421

Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:19 am

Quoting SW733 (Reply 33):

Yeah...hmmm....not good for their defense.

Was the blood on the vehicle or a piece of clothing in the vehicle?

The only specific I've found so far was supposed a piece of the girl's clothing in a packed bag. The blood could have been from a nosebleed a year before.

I'd like to hear someone who knows some forensics explain how a two week dead body can 'bleed' - which is the base assumption of the news stories.

LAXspotter

Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:22 pm

Quoting SW733 (Reply 33):
Cue the Missing White Woman Syndrome.

exactly

This development is really shocking, didnt see any of ther interviews with the parents, but this is shocking indeed.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

andz

Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:42 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 7):

As has been stated the parents made a major effort to keep it in the news, which makes their possible involvement seem a bit strange. Surely you would want this to quietly slip from the news if you were involved?

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 24):
Yup. Leading brain surgeon i think.

Gerry McCann is a cardiologist.

Quoting Moo (Reply 1):
So why the mother and not the father?

He is also an official suspect now.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

LHStarAlliance

Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:01 pm

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Thread starter):

crazy people ...

just sick ...

konstantin
Boycott The Olympic Games In Beijing !

Pyrex

Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:54 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 32):
But, Portugal has fixed length sentences, so can this be true?

Since when?
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

sh0rtybr0wn

Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:38 am

OK

The evidence is that the police found the missing girls blood in the car the mother rented 3 WEEKS AFTER she went missing.

How is that possible? Unless the news is wrong and it was on a piece of the girls clothing, which was in the car.

How could a Doctor, and mother with no propblems up untill that point in her life, suddenly go 187 on her 4 year old while on vacation? Would a doctor shake a baby to death?

This kind of case makes people wonder, its a riddle, we all want to know what really happened.

I hope the girl was just kidnapped and not killed, and someday they find her.

sw733

Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:03 pm

Quoting Sh0rtybr0wn (Reply 39):
How could a Doctor, and mother with no propblems up untill that point in her life, suddenly go 187 on her 4 year old while on vacation? Would a doctor shake a baby to death?

Ok...well...just because he's a doctor doesn't mean he's a good person. And just because she hasn't had any legal problems doesn't mean she doesn't have problems. If the girl was accidentally killed by the parents (a big "if" until it's proven or disproven), it could have been anything...like maybe mom or dad was using a knife, and it slipped out and went flying...anything could have happened, not necesarilly something as obviously threatening as shaking her.

Gosh knows what happened...gosh knows if we'll ever truly, 100% find out.

NAV20

Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:37 pm

Quoting RFields5421 (Reply 34):
I'd like to hear someone who knows some forensics explain how a two week dead body can 'bleed' - which is the base assumption of the news stories.

That puzzled me too, RFields5421. Turns out (according to an 'un-named source') that the DNA in the car was not from blood:-

"The source said the DNA from the rental car had come from the interior of the vehicle and not from blood. Given the passage of time, it 'could have come from any item, [such as] clothing, which Madeleine had contact with before she went missing'."

Also becoming clearer, if the 'source' is to be believed, that the DNA tests are not 100% reliable because of the passage of time - but they are about 70% 'probable':-

"He said that while both samples had matched Madeleine's DNA, since they had degraded over time, this was based on an incomplete picture - only 15 of the available 20 genetic markers usually used for such analysis were found: 'Nineteen out of 20 is what we consider conclusive. In this case, they could extract only 15 - but all of the 15 exactly matched Madeleine's DNA.' He also dismissed as 'simply wrong' recent media reports that blood had been found in the car."

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,2165457,00.html

Leaves me feeling that there is definitely 'a case to answer.' Which makes it highly significant, to my mind, that the McCanns have left Portugal in a hurry.
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

andz

Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:33 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 41):
McCanns have left Portugal in a hurry.

Not yet... they are scheduled to leave Faro this morning (Sunday 9th) at 9:30 local time. I am surprised that suspects are allowed to leave the country.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

NAV20

Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:17 pm

Thanks, Andz, I thought they'd already left.

Quoting Andz (Reply 42):
I am surprised that suspects are allowed to leave the country.

Presumably the setup in Portugal is the same as elsewhere. Either the police have enough evidence to persuade a judge or magistrate to issue an arrest warrant, or they don't.

On present information, they don't, or the McCanns would already have been detained.
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

ltbewr

Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:03 pm

As to the McCann's departure from Portugal and flying home to their home the UK, both are EU countries so if there was further need to investigate or take further criminal procedures, then there should no problems to do so. I would assume that their UK passports may be highly restricted to not allow them to travel to non-EU countries to prevent escaping possible prosecution.
This case is truly one that has serious problems. We don't have a body, or never found it by now nor a short time after the event. The parents have very well presented themselves as innocent. There was very little other evidence to suggest a kidnapping. Maybe the child just wandered out of the house, perhaps to the sea to play there and got washed away. I do agree that they should have had a babysitter or not gone out, in that they appear to be selfish and questionable parents and raising serious questions about them.

sandrozrh

Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:15 pm

I don't know why that makes it a story of public importance. Is this person famous?

Yeah, if it doesn't happen in the US, it's not of public importance  Yeah sure

sean377

Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:17 pm

Lets suppose Madelaine was killed by her parent(s). If it was an accident, then what possible reason would there be to cover it up? You've just lost a child. The last thing on your mind is to save your own arse.

Wouldn't they want to bring her body home and bury her? Rather than hiding her?

And if it was just one parent, the other would go along with the cover-up? - "Oh, it's okay dear, these things happen". Err, no!

If it wasn't an accident, wouldn't that make it premeditated?

I just wish Madelaine would turn up safe and sound.
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man... Landing is the first!

rfields5421

Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:30 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 41):
That puzzled me too, RFields5421. Turns out (according to an 'un-named source') that the DNA in the car was not from blood:-

"The source said the DNA from the rental car had come from the interior of the vehicle and not from blood. Given the passage of time, it 'could have come from any item, [such as] clothing, which Madeleine had contact with before she went missing'."

These parents have been traveling around with the little girl's toys and clothes with them to have familiar items to remind them of the child and to make a reunion with the child easier for the little girl.

Duh....

It would be suspicious only if the girls' DNA was NOT found in the car.

NAV20

Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:51 pm

Quoting RFields5421 (Reply 47):
It would be suspicious only if the girls' DNA was NOT found in the car.

Possibly so, RFields - though we don't know where in the car it was found, or how far it was spread.

I'm not pre-judging the matter, only saying that there's a 'case to answer.' But I must admit that the couple's behaviour has always struck me as being odd.

Going back to the very beginning, a kidnapping was suspected. I know enough about such things to know what the police will have advised; that the motive for most kidnappings is ransom, and therefore that the best course would have been to sit quietly at home and wait for the phone to ring, or contact to be established in some other way. Once the police had some sort of lead the problem of recovering the child (hopefully unharmed) would have been relatively simple police work.

I'm equally sure that the police will have advised strongly against the blizzard of international publicity that the parents have chosen to stir up. Simply because, if the child was in fact kidnapped, such worldwide publicity would certainly cause the kidnappers to decide that the poor little kid was 'too hot to handle.' In other words, make sure that the kidnappers killed her and disposed of the evidence as soon as they possibly could.

OHLHD

Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:01 am

Sorry to say but I can't hear the stories about Madleine and her parents anymore. I cannot understand how this was made to such an enourmes mediaspectacle. Unfortunatly 100 of children disappear each and every year with the parents having no money to do something to have them found.

If the mother and father are found guilty I wish they get a life for that.