Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

metroliner
Topic Author

Transport Tycoon (a.k.a. Addicted Again)

Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:55 pm

Afternoon all!

I was rummaging through some stuff and discovered a pile of old CDs a while ago, when, to my surprise and delight, I found myself blowing the dust off one of my favourite game titles from years ago - Transport Tycoon Deluxe. Now, child of the Eighties that I am, I disticntly remember firing up my friend's 66MHz Pentium and installing the very same game (though not the Deluxe version) way back around 1994!

So, thinking of those happy childhood summers wasted in front of a monitor trying to figure out how to use signals on the railroads, I went ahead and installed the game on my PC.

Then I just had to patch it with the latest version of OpenTTD.

And download some more graphics sets.

Since then, I've spent an entire week just playing Transport Tycoon. Okay, sure, I found time to do a critical course essay in German for my Year Abroad Project, and I've done some preparation for my final year. I'm moving into my newly-rented student digs in London today, and all I can think about is when I'll be able to next sit down and crush Grunfingfield Transport (my sworn enemy) once and for all.

Is there anybody out there suffering a similar addiction to an archaic dinosaur computer game that's long been out of the shops? Any fans of Transport Tycoon out there? This is a desperate plea for your help.

Toni

P.S. Anyone wishing to inform me to 'get a life' should join the back of the queue after almost everyone I know...
Set the controls for the heart of the Sun

Halcyon

RE: Transport Tycoon (a.k.a. Addicted Again)

Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:21 pm

Well, I've been trying to get Thief II: The Metal Age to work again so that I can be addicted to it, but it seems that I'd have to go back in time to find a computer that supports it. Certainly sad, as the first and second games of the trilogy were perhaps my favorite games of all time.

senorcarnival

Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:33 pm

Not long ago, I found myself spending countless hours, just like back in the old days, playing Sim City 2000. I remember there was a cheat that you'd tweak some file and you'd start your city with something like $2billion. I always remember making my prison on an island and of course, having a big ass airport Big grin
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

JCKastrup

Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:49 pm

Hey Metroliner

You're not alone. I've been addicted to Transport Tycoon since the mid-90's too.

Sid Meier is a brilliant game designer, but i think of TT as his masterpiece.
So many challenges, so many different levels (from too easy to mission impossible), so many strategies, so many different transport options. The open game play is a gift to your imagination, and makes TT one of the best games ever.

I was lucky enough to find the deluxe edition some 5 years ago, and still, from time to time, sit down and enjoy the brilliance of Transport Tycoon.

From an Airliner.net point of view, it is funny how the game shows civil aviation history. From the DC-3's and JU-52's in the 1950's over DC-9's and Tristars later on and finishing with non-existing plains of the future.
All the aircraft names are changed a little compared to the real names. But for A-netters it shouldn't be a problem recognising the real planes.

Long live Transport Tycoon.

trophy 
Who the hell wants to fly to JFK? Nobody does, That's who!

Continental

Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:59 pm

Quoting JCKastrup (Reply 3):

Long live Transport Tycoon.

That runway is nowhere near long enough for those aircraft to takeoff!

srbmod

Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:05 am

Quoting JCKastrup (Reply 3):
Sid Meier is a brilliant game designer, but i think of TT as his masterpiece.

Actually, Transport Tycoon was developed by Chris Sawyer, the guy behind the Roller Coaster Tycoon series.

A few months back, I bought the "spiritual successor" to Transport Tycoon, Chris Sawyer's Locomotion for $6 at a local discount store. I got hooked on it worse than I ever did with the Roller Coaster Tycoon games. I remember playing it for at least 8 hours one day, only taking the occasional break. I definitely got my $6 worth out of it.

huskyaviation

Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:14 am

Civilization II for me--I love that game and think it's the ultimate. I also love Railroad Tycoon, Sid Meier's Railroads!, and Simcity in all its various forms.

I bought Airport Tycoon a few years ago, but I found it to be a really glitchy game that wasn't very good or easy to play. I was pretty disappointed. Anyone have/like that game?

Continental

Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:56 am

Quoting HuskyAviation (Reply 6):
Anyone have/like that game?

I had that game. It was extremely disappointing due to all the glitches. Had they spent some time producing that game, it'd have potential to be a pretty fun game.

Avianca

Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:06 am

any www were I can dowload the game.... ???
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

desertjets

Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:07 am

Quoting HuskyAviation (Reply 6):
also love Railroad Tycoon, Sid Meier's Railroads!,

I have RT2 and RT3, played both a lot in times past. Personally I prefered RT3 better b/c of its more complex model.... goods do not have to be right within the stations draw area to be available to be picked up, and I preferred the auto consist feature as well. If you have a ton of trains running it took far too much micromanagement to keep your trains at peak profitability. Plus there are some great tools to help you figure out which pairs have good supply/demand for your products.

I've always wanted to give the Civ series a try but haven't gotten around to picking them up.

Sim City is good as well. I have SC4 w/ the Rush Hour expansion pack.... only downside is that it can get taxing on the CPU. It is both CPU and GPU intensive. So after awhile it can get bogged down.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

AsstChiefMark

Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:12 am

Quoting Metroliner (Thread starter):
trying to figure out how to use signals on the railroads

Yep. Driving a Metroliner at 120 mph is a pisser if you can't read the signals.  Wink

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

WestJetForLife

Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:19 am

Ahh, I love these types of games. The "Sim" games where you could create and destroy your own empire, all without losing billions of dollars, respect of the people or your life in the process.

I remember I was addicted to SimCity 2000 for the longest time. I would spend hours on end playing SC2000, developing a city I called "Sunset City". It went from a little town of 3,000 to a teeming metropolis of 2,500,000 within 150 years.

Then, out of the blue, sometime in the year 3023, two earthquakes hit, completely levelling the city, killing over a million and frustrating me to the point where I wanted to chuck my computer out of the window.

So, I quit as mayor of Sunset City, uninstalled SC2000 and installed Flight Simulator, trying to forget the bitter memory that was my city and the poor "Sims" that suffered due to the destruction of the earthquake of 3023.

Nik
I need a drink.

A332

Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:29 am

Civ II is the best sim game out there... no question.

Nothing like world domination at it's finest... I could play that game for 12 hours a day, 7 days a week at times.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

XaraB

Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:42 am

Civ II is definitely a timeless classic! I bought it in late 1995 and have played it more or less regularly since then (the computer I bought with it is still running too... Amazing!). Even though graphics are by far outdated by today's standards, gameplay and replayability is so great that every new save is a brand new and previously unseen challenge. The only thing I found annoying was the AI's predictable diplomatic behaviour... Solution? Buy the Multiplayer version! I've had it for some years now, and the enjoyment of kicking my brothers' asses over and over again is really satisfying    !

Transport Tycoon Deluxe is also a long-time favourite; the joy of creating an economically sound company while waging a war of resources and station ratings with your competitors, all while designing aesthetically pleasing, yet flawlessly functioning transport networks (ideally speaking, of course! This is actually one of the hardest challenges in the game...) is huge! And the two major tweaks (almost new games in terms of opened possibilities and improvements), TTDPatch an OpenTTD amplifies this enjoyment drastically, making it more realistic, a bit better-looking and better balanced. OpenTTD can also be run by a large chunk of different OS's. AFAIK you still need the game's original files for these to function. However, this game is usually treated as abandonware and can therefore be found available for free download on the web.

[Edited 2007-09-10 00:44:33]
An open mind is not an empty one

metroliner
Topic Author

Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:03 pm

Quoting Avianca (Reply 8):

Avianca, check your PM inbox!

Further to the sundry comments about Civ II, I was addicted to that for ages too... what a wonderfully balanced, sprawling, brain-taxing game that could be! Sad to say that Civ IV put me off Civ for ever. Who needs full 3D in a strategy game? Sigh...

What with you guys championing classic games on this forum, and the sterling efforts of the guys at OpenTTD and TTDPatch, I see hope for humanity, I really do... Big grin

Greetings from the uni library, where I spend my days hoping to find another browsing a.net...

Toni
Set the controls for the heart of the Sun

CPH-R

Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:32 pm

I used to play the regular TT back in the day, complete with its god awful AI (ie. if your AI opponent built a huge new train station, placing your own tracks all the way around it would stumble it for quite a while Big grin ). Of course, I ended up with a huge empire, that had Concorde flying all the airplane routes (even short intercity hops Big grin) + various vanity routes such as a train route that went around the entire map and stopped at every city. Can't remember how long it took me to program that route Big grin

I _really_ should look into that game again at some point. If anything else, it would be because I could run it on my laptop.

bagpiper

Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:44 pm

ah, the memories.

I remember playing Civ II for the first time... I was quite young, and couldn't figure out how to exit. I remember the first time I got nukes in the game.... I had a ton of money, so I bought something like 60 of them, and nuked every little ship I cam across, then every city the Aztecs had on their island. They didn't even have gun powder yet.  Silly

Then there was Sim City 2000. Too bad I can't get it to work on XP Sad I found a glitch where I could put power lines across the river, then demolish them, and have free power to the whole map  Silly . I never watered the cities, yet they always grew to fill the whole map, and, yes, I had 30x30 tile airports, at least.  Silly

Fun stuff. Much better than the eye candy games now with boring story lines and / or strategy.

KaiGywer

Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:29 am

Yeah, I installed OpenTTD on my laptop a while back. Played it a lot, but haven't for a while now. I should start back up.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

jamesjimlb

Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:41 am

i once was addictted to the sims, sim city, roller coaster tycoon, and like senorcarnival, a big ass airport!
The sky is no longer the limit, but the mere minimum

sw733

Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:53 am

Quoting Avianca (Reply 8):

Quoting Metroliner (Reply 14):
Avianca, check your PM inbox!

Wait now, I wanna know where to find it too! Looks like my thing (I'm sure the girlfriend would love how my attention dissapeared after finding this thing...)

thumbsup 

LAXspotter

Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:07 am

I'm addicted to Flight Simulator, specially with AI traffic, I need help, some please.....
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson