Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

7LBAC111
Topic Author

Middle Lane Drivers!

Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:27 pm

I don;t know what purpose this thread will serve, so this is just somewhere for me, and anyone else who wants to, to vent off about these imbeciles who insist on driving in the middle, or outside lanes at soeeds below the speed limit.

These people need to be addressed in the same way as people who block box junctions, or drive in bus lanes. It's both rude, and arguably dangerous.

I have the misfortune of using 3 major routes to work each day, the M61, M6 and M55. The M61 is particularly bad, and the major culprits are Nissan Micra drivers, and white van men. Then you get the arseholes in their Volvos and MPV's who insist on sitting on your bumper at 65mph....grrr!

Not that I'm steroetyping.....

7L
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

HAWK21M

RE: Middle Lane Drivers!

Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:43 pm

Tell me about it.... Smile
Its like some Drivers like to go on a Sunday drive on the Fast lane & honking wont get them to budge.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

LASoctoberB6

Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:37 am

my school bus driver does it all the time..it annoys the hell out of me. everyone is going at least 68, hes in the middle lane (the majority of LAS is 3 lanes) going 55-63... it seems to annoy him when he just sits in the merging lane..
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

AsstChiefMark

Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:43 am

I'd rather deal with middle lane drivers than all those god damned left lane drivers in Texas. Apparently, no one taught them to pull to the right when a vehicle approaches them from behind. They look in the mirror and just keep on driving like they're the only ones on the road.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

CaptOveur

Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:39 am

What I really hate are what I call "formation fliers"

These are the people- usually in SUVs or on cell phones or both who will pop out around you into the left lane and then sit on your left corner- never passing, not slowing down. Then you stomp on it and pass them.. only to have them get over in the middle lane, and catch up and ride your right blind spot. If you can't concentrate enough to drive without a leader and talk on your cell phone maybe you should stop doing both at the same time.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

AsstChiefMark

Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:50 am

Quoting Captoveur (Reply 4):
These are the people- usually in SUVs or on cell phones or both

I like it when they stop next to me at traffic lights. After a few seconds, I start to slowly back up. Within a couple of seconds, the cell phone or coffee goes flying as the go apeshit on the brake pedal. For some reason they think they're rolling forward and their brakes aren't working.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

FlyDeltaJets87

Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:54 am

Well, I don't know if I qualify as one of those "annoying middle lane drivers" but A) I usually do 5 to 10 above the speed limit on the expressway and B) I was taught in Driver's Ed that when there are three lanes, the middle lane is the safest lane to be in. You're not dealing with traffic merging on and off the highway and also, you have two "escape" routes should something come up in your lane.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

AsstChiefMark

Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:00 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 6):
I was taught in Driver's Ed that when there are three lanes, the middle lane is the safest lane to be in. You're not dealing with traffic merging on and off the highway and also, you have two "escape" routes should something come up in your lane.

I can see it now. 80% of the traffic is bumper to bumper in the middle lane running at 35 mph. The outer lanes each contain 10% of the traffic running at 55 mph. Makes a lot of sense.

flymia

Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:23 pm

I am with you, but I can deal with middle lane but left lane hogs are the worst! They just sit in the left land doing the speed limit or even lower and even after a blinker or some flashes with the lights they still dont get out of the way. I HATE it!
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

AsstChiefMark

Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:26 pm

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 8):
even after a blinker or some flashes with the lights

I swear they don't know what a flashing left turn signal means in the left lane. Likewise for flash to pass high beams.

galapagapop

Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:39 pm

I'm with Capt on formation flyers, try it on 2 lane highways where you get the left going the same speed as the right, building up 10-20 cars back and just through statistic not all 20 are going to step on it when an opening allows. Makes the Merit Pkwy a nightmare to drive at times even off peak.

Yellowstone

Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:33 pm

Yellowstone's Rules of Proper Speed:

Rightmost lane: anyone going the speed limit or less. Truckers, this means you. Please don't mess it up for the rest of us when you want to pass the 55 mph truck in front of you while you're going 57. Not a good idea.
Center lane: normal driving speed. 5 miles over the speed limit in most cases, up to 10 over if conditions allow.
Left lane: for passing center lane drivers who aren't following the above rule, or for drivers who want to go >10 mph over the limit.

The annoying case is when you get on a two-lane (each way) freeway with a lot of truck traffic and not much curvature, like I-5 through the Central Valley of CA. If you stay in the right lane, all the trucks get in your way. If you stay in the left lane, you'll have someone on your tail wanting to go 85. Suffice it to say the turn signals get a lot of use.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

notdownnlocked

Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:33 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 3):
I'd rather deal with middle lane drivers than all those god damned left lane drivers in Texas.

Amen to that! Try driving Sunday night at 8pm on I-20 from SHV to DFW. Two lanes of backed up and constipated hell. Rednecks in a pickup or an 18 year old that wasnt taught properly in drivers ed. 45-50 mph until you finally get a hole and cut them off just to catch up with the next clusterf**k 1 mile more ahead and start the crap all over again.

AsstChiefMark

Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:06 pm

Quoting Notdownnlocked (Reply 12):
Rednecks in a pickup or an 18 year old that wasnt taught properly in drivers ed. 45-50 mph until you finally get a hole and cut them off just to catch up with the next clusterf**k 1 mile more ahead and start the crap all over again.

Most Wisconsites will look in their mirror with an "Oops" expression and immediately move to the right. The Texans just look at you like they have shit for brains, pretend they're more important than anyone else on the road, and just keep driving in the left lane.

LAXspotter

Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:19 pm

The drivers that piss me off are the ones weaving in and out of traffic at 95 MPH when everyone else is traveling at a comfortable 80-85MPH, why the hell are these people in such a hurry, they execute some dangerous moves and it really pisses me off.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

AustinAllison

Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:27 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 13):
Most Wisconsites will look in their mirror with an "Oops" expression and immediately move to the right. The Texans just look at you like they have shit for brains, pretend they're more important than anyone else on the road, and just keep driving in the left lane.

Now, now, don't stereotype................I have found Texan drivers much more aware than any others. I went ot Milwaukee once and the drivers there are horrible. They don't have any common sense

57AZ

Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:57 pm

Interstate driving here in AZ isn't any better or worse than CA, NM, NV or TX since 90% of the folks on the highway aren't state residents. In the daytime, they're all over the place. After dark it calms down significantly. When I was running motorcoaches between TUS and LAX, the overnight runs gave the turn indicators a work out. We always took the right hand lane if possible but would spend much more time in the passing lane at night. We'd run at the coach's max governed speed-70 mph and be overtaking cars and other trucks in the blink of an eye.

The one thing I like about Tucson drivers is this-the instant they hear a siren approacing they stop (except for fleeing felons) and wait for the emergency vehicles to pass before resuming service.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

jamotcx

Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:34 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 14):
The drivers that piss me off are the ones weaving in and out of traffic at 95 MPH when everyone else is traveling at a comfortable 80-85MPH, why the hell are these people in such a hurry, they execute some dangerous moves and it really pisses me off.

If the people doing 80-85 would stick to one lane, then the people doing 95 wouldn't have to weave in and out of traffic.

Just the other day we were on the motorway and there was no one in the left lane! Just people clogging up the middle and fast lanes! So our driver (who shall remain anonymous) decided to use the slow lane, and we just overtook everyone.

On UK roads there really isnt any need to keep out of the left lane, as the slip roads on our motorways are long, allow cars to get up to speed and merge into traffic. Although when the traffic is light I dont mind people moving from the left lane to the middle lane to help any cars joining the motorway. Just move back when your clear of the slip road!!!

CaptOveur

Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:42 pm

Quoting AUSTINALLISOn (Reply 15):
.I have found Texan drivers much more aware than any others.

HAHAHAHA!!!

I didn't know what it was like to drive along with so many dumbasses in pickups and SUVs with their heads so far up their asses they needed a window in their stomach until I moved to San Antonio. The only difference between San Antonio and New York drivers is the fact San Antonio drivers actually stop at red lights.. and Yield signs (for some unknown reason)
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

808TWA

Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:22 am

I find driving in the right-hand lane in the Toronto area to be much faster and safer than the middle lane (which is full of hoggers) and the left (supposed fast-lane) which is full of idiots riding each others asses. Incidentally, the right lane is quite often completely vacant!

I've seen umpteen times someone access the highway into the completely empty right hand lane, only to pull into the middle lane behind a line of traffic.....I shake my head and ask myself why?....the logic of such driving technique escapes me.

The simple motto is (in Countries who drive on the right)...."If the lane to your right is vacant.....why aren't you in it?" Situation reversed for UK etc. It's a simple concept and it's actually the law in most Countries (UK for sure) but rarely enforced. Using the three lanes (or more) effectively would result in smoother traffic flow all around.
Love is in the air, so practice safe flying

northstardc4m

Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:28 am

TWA808.... i don't know what 400 series you find an empty right lane on... cause i can't find an empty lane most of the time!

Now i won't drive in the middle lane... there are waaaaaaay too many slow pokes in the middle lane in Toronto. They have cars zooming pass on the right and they just putter along at 95. Very very annoying. They are the single biggest cause of traffic congestion outside of peak times i've found.

The Right lane i hate because way too many people don't look when merging into the highway (this of course also happens when getting onto the highway when some idiot tries to merge into the right lane from the middle without looking to see if someone is entering the road!). And because you are bound to run into a slow moving truck in the right hand lane.

Give me the left... i don't care if someone rides my back bumper. If they get to close a little brake tap usually backs them off, if not... well... i have ways if making my displeasure known via gesticulations  Smile

And can someone please add some lanes to the 401 in Mississauga? like 20?
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

seb146

Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:48 am

The freeways around PDX have three lanes. There are two places where there are four lanes, but that lasts about a mile. Things that irritate me are people that match the speed of everyone else when they can see in their rear view mirrors there is other traffic going faster behind them. I have tried passing people only to be blocked off in all lanes by people that insist on going 50 or 55MPH when clearly I and others behind me what to go 65 or more. Another thing that irritates me is the I-84 east to I-205 north in the afternoons. The right lane exits to 205 south (taking it down to 2 lanes) and the exit for 205 north is about 3/4 of a mile ahead. A lot of drivers going north will stay in the left lane until the very last possible second before merging into the slow crawl to 205 north thus causing the few people headed east to back up. The worst part is, no one in the right lane going to 205 north lets these people in!

One difference I noticed between SLC drivers and PDX drivers is traffic lights: SLC drivers run reds and as soon as the light turns green, PDX drivers will be on the horn urging those ahead of them to go.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

808TWA

Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:53 am

Quoting NorthStarDC4M (Reply 20):
TWA808.... i don't know what 400 series you find an empty right lane on... cause i can't find an empty lane most of the time

Thats cause you have admited that you travel in the left lane!

Give me the left... i don't care if someone rides my back bumper. If they get to close a little brake tap usually backs them off, if not... well... i have ways if making my displeasure known via gesticulations

And thats the source of the problem right there.

The Right lane i hate because way too many people don't look when merging into the highway

Well, actually, it should be extremely simple. If you see a vehicle heading down the on-ramp ready to merge, would it not make sense for you to back off a little and let them into the lane? To be honest I can usually see those heading down the ramp waaaay back and react accordingly, I either pull into the middle lane before reaching the merging vehicle or adjust my speed accordingly to let them merge. Quite often a speed adjustment on my part is quite simply not required.

With that being said, I understand that for example, the 401 from Mississauga through to Scarborough, this may not work due to congestion. But I can assure you in practice it works in my favour almost everywhere else I travel.

Keep an eye out for me from your "stop and go" left lane as I drift effortlessly at 120km/h in my clear right hand lane.

edit: removing 400 comment, for some reason I thought you were from North Bay!

[Edited 2007-09-12 18:55:20]

andz

Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:05 am

Quoting AUSTINALLISOn (Reply 15):
I have found Texan drivers much more aware than any others

I have only ever driven in the US in Texas and I felt at home because the standard of driving was SO BAD. Houston beltway and the highway between Houston and Galveston was like driving in Johannesburg.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

LAXspotter

Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:24 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 21):
have tried passing people only to be blocked off in all lanes by people that insist on going 50 or 55MPH when clearly I and others behind me what to go 65 or more.

does everything move slow up there, everyone here is going atleast 80MPH, but there are those who want to hit 100 and switch four lanes of highways in one move, SOB's I hate them.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

AsstChiefMark

Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:42 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 24):
does everything move slow up there

It's pretty hard to find someone driving faster than 5 mph over the limit here. With the cops ticketing for more than 5 mph over, even in MSP, people have really slowed down.

I drove the speed limit roundtrip from Wisconsin to AUS and rarely got passed.

skywatch

Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:51 am

I drive the speed limit, but I like the middle lane. People pass me a bunch, but hey, that's what the left lane is for. I don't want to mess with merging traffic on the right if I don't have to, so why not stay in the middle?
------Forever Watchin' The Sky------

AsstChiefMark

Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:59 am

Quoting Skywatch (Reply 26):
I don't want to mess with merging traffic on the right if I don't have to, so why not stay in the middle?

It's not a problem unless cars start passing you on the right.

WrenchBender

Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:13 am

Driving to work this morning, there was a real idiot doing 65-70 KPH in the middle lane of Calgary's major N-S Freeway. when a stream of traffic is passing you at almost double your speed on YOUR RIGHT, don't you think you just may be in the wrong lane, or not driving fast enough ?
The freakin morning commute is going to kill me, my blood pressure takes 20 minutes to get back to normal after I get to work.

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

andz

Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:28 am

Quoting WrenchBender (Reply 28):
when a stream of traffic is passing you at almost double your speed on YOUR RIGHT, don't you think you just may be in the wrong lane, or not driving fast enough ?

wrong country maybe?  Smile

WrenchBender

Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:39 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 29):
wrong country maybe?

No excuse She was in the middle lane of 3, which turned into the # 3 lane of 4, further on. And everyone was passing Her.

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

andz

Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:42 am

I was referring more to the indignation of passing on the RIGHT. it is called humour.

Klima

Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:37 am

I hate when people don't pass the semis on the highway, but feel the need to drive right next to them. Speed up and move over!

I hate it when you are entering the highway and the a-holes driving in the right lane refuse to get over or speed up to let the traffic on. I don't know how many times I've had to slam on the breaks or feel like I'm going to sides swipe someone because they are too lazy to move a lane over.

airbusA346

Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:49 am

Quoting Jamotcx (Reply 17):
overtook

Undertook.  Wink

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

northstardc4m

Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:50 am

Quoting 808TWA (Reply 22):
Well, actually, it should be extremely simple. If you see a vehicle heading down the on-ramp ready to merge, would it not make sense for you to back off a little and let them into the lane? To be honest I can usually see those heading down the ramp waaaay back and react accordingly, I either pull into the middle lane before reaching the merging vehicle or adjust my speed accordingly to let them merge. Quite often a speed adjustment on my part is quite simply not required.

Where you can see them coming... sure, but there are more than a few ramps where either A> the ramps are blind until someone is almost on the road or B> People come ripping down the onramp like crazy and you have no time to react (popular with BMWs and Suburbans...).

Quoting 808TWA (Reply 22):

With that being said, I understand that for example, the 401 from Mississauga through to Scarborough, this may not work due to congestion. But I can assure you in practice it works in my favour almost everywhere else I travel.

Keep an eye out for me from your "stop and go" left lane as I drift effortlessly at 120km/h in my clear right hand lane.

edit: removing 400 comment, for some reason I thought you were from North Bay!

Again with the: If can find me an empty lane on the 401 at 9am... ill gladly watch you use it... 401 through Miss is so bad i take Derry Rd most of the time instead and it ends up being faster.

And i used to be from North Bay... so forgiven.

Plus if i wanna drift at 120... well thats why i have a Transponder  Smile
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

808TWA

Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:57 am

Quoting Klima (Reply 32):
I don't know how many times I've had to slam on the breaks or feel like I'm going to sides swipe someone because they are too lazy to move a lane over.

It's called "merge" for a reason. It's a mutual courtesy on both parts.

The vehicle on the ramp has the obligation to speed up to the flow of traffic and then "merge" between vehicles, not pull up alongside one already in the right lane and expect them to move over!

The vehicle in the right lane is to allow the vehicle on the ramp to merge, but it's not always possible for that vehicle to move into the middle lane or speed up.

The vehicle in the right lane would also not be expecting a vehicle to try and pass him while on the ramp to try and get in front of him, or predict that the vehicle would pull alongside and expect him to move into the middle lane.

Simple courtesy and respect from everyone on the roads would result in less catastrophy and boiled nerves. Driver training also leaves one hell of a lot to be desired.

808TWA

Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:02 am

Quoting NorthStarDC4M (Reply 34):
Where you can see them coming... sure, but there are more than a few ramps where either A> the ramps are blind until someone is almost on the road or B> People come ripping down the onramp like crazy and you have no time to react (popular with BMWs and Suburbans...).

I agree with that too, I didn't say "always" there are always exceptions.

Plus if i wanna drift at 120... well thats why i have a Transponder

Haha, thats true. I also have one. Even after swearing for a few years that I'd never entertain the 407, I have decided that it's use will preserve me a few years of life from stress and exploding blood pressure.

Pyrex

Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:13 am

Driving in the middle lane is much safer than in the outer lanes, specially if the traffic is light (you have more space to recover from an under-steer / over-steer and don't have to worry about people joining/leaving the highway). Just because you want it all for yourself doesn't mean other people don't have a right to it as well.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

6yjjk

Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:41 am

there are more than a few ramps where either A> the ramps are blind until someone is almost on the road or B> People come ripping down the onramp like crazy and you have no time to react

I don't know how your junctions are laid out over there, but in the UK you can pretty much predict that if you've just passed an offramp there'll be an onramp in a few hundred yards. Knowing there's likely to be an onramp, if traffic permits I'll try and get out into the middle lane - might as well do it now, rather than scramble to get out when I'm forced to. By the same token, I try and avoid overtaking someone who's in the inside lane as we pass the onramp, unless I can put a clear lane between me and them - because if they have to come out, they probably will.

mainMAN

Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:48 am

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Thread starter):
I don;t know what purpose this thread will serve, so this is just somewhere for me, and anyone else who wants to, to vent off about these imbeciles who insist on driving in the middle, or outside lanes at soeeds below the speed limit.

Particularly lethal is driving at 40mph in the inside lane. People who do this claim they're driving sedately and calmly and ignore the fact that their utter stupidity causes the traffic behind them to bunch up on their right. It's lethal.

I must confess, I'm so sick of middle lane drivers that I sometimes illegally undertake them because it's safer to do so, but so do many other people nowadays. I also now think that we should get every driver into compulsory motorway driving sessions/lectures because all people my age (38) and older were never taught.

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Thread starter):
I have the misfortune of using 3 major routes to work each day, the M61, M6 and M55.

At least you're going against the rush hour traffic on the M61!

7LBAC111
Topic Author

Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:31 pm

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 39):
At least you're going against the rush hour traffic on the M61!

Yup = I get to watch all the poor buggers sitting in 8 miles of stationary traffic from Bolton all the way to the M60, and East Lancs.

7L
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.