Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

deltagator
Topic Author

College Football Thread: Week 3

Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:34 am

Alright folks, week 2 is in the books and we're now on to week 3. Lots of good games coming up and even one really bad one that we can't help but watch kind of like a train wreck.

Big games on tap this weekend.

1 - Michigan vs. Notre Dame in The Big House...who gets off the schnide? (Why can't we have ties in football so they can continue to be winless?)
2 - Florida vs. Tennessee in The Swamp...does Phat Phil continue losing to Urban Meyer?
3 - WVU at Maryland...will the Mountaineers play defense this week?
4 - Texas at UCF...will this be the next UM-AppState upset? Could be!
5 - Ohio State at Washington...Can OSU score? Has UW turned the corner? Is Ty Willingham laughing his ass off at ND?
6 - FIU at Miami...will they fight again like last year?
7 - USC at Nebraska...good matchup here of two ranked teams.
8 - Boston College at Georgia Tech...another matchup of ranked teams...winner becomes leader in the Clubhouse for the ACC?
9 - Hawaii at UNLV...will Hawaii play defense this week and will they run the ball at least once?

What say you America or even you furry little foreigners that enjoy some college sports action? Chime in with your predictions and musings.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

saxdiva

RE: College Football Thread: Week 3

Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:18 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Thread starter):
Michigan vs. Notre Dame in The Big House...who gets off the schnide? (Why can't we have ties in football so they can continue to be winless?)

'Aint that the truth? Maybe the game will get interrupted by hail or something.

Ohio State at Washington...Can OSU score? Has UW turned the corner? Is Ty Willingham laughing his ass off at ND?

Might be a fun game to watch. U-Dub isn't looking like such a pushover any more.
See terms for details....

scottieprecord

Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:34 am

I really hope Notre Dame can pull off that win, but I think Michigan, out of near-insane desperation (Mike Hart interview... seemed pretty crazy), will beat the Irish.

I doubt Texas will have any troubles with UCF. They really started looking like they came together in the 2nd half against TCU. They should be a pretty decent team here on out... hopefully. lol

USC's gonna beat Nebraska. But I'm definitely gonna watch it in case they don't. Go Big Red!

Should be a decent week of college football!

Hook 'Em Horns!

-Mike

AirCop

Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:10 am

The TCU-Air Force game last night was a stunner, with Air Force winning in OT now 3-0, perhaps Navy will have his hands full this year trying to retain the Commander in Chief trophy.
Final tune up for Arizona State against San Diego State, before taking on the rugged PAC-10 schedule.

Ohio State at Washington...Can OSU score? Has UW turned the corner? Is Ty Willingham laughing his ass off at ND?

Hopefully, Washington will be able to take out Ohio State..

D L X

Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:29 am

Quoting Saxdiva (Reply 1):
'Aint that the truth? Maybe the game will get interrupted by hail or something.

If by hail, you mean Hail to the Victors, then I'm with you. Hopefully there will be frequent interruptions.

Is Ty Willingham laughing his ass off at ND?

Without a doubt!!!

deltagator
Topic Author

Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:04 am

Looks like WVU didn't have much trouble with the turtles of Maryland. Oh well, I was hoping for a chance to move up in the rankings a little bit this week.

I also notice TCU lost to Air Force. That's two losses in a row from a team that was supposed to be good this year. Not sure what's going on with the Horned Frogs.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

S12PPL

Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:40 am

It's safe to say Willingham isn't the only person laughing at Notre Shame. They look like total idiots for letting him go... Which I LOVE. I can finally cheer for UW when they play, since they shitcanned New-weasel. Love it.

FIU at Miami...will they fight again like last year?

Doubtful.... But last year sure was sad, wasn't it? I think their new coach requires they play football the way it's supposed to be played, instead of like thugs.

USC at Nebraska...good matchup here of two ranked teams.

USC will roll.

My Beavs get to try and get back on track against Idaho State tomorrow afternoon on FSN NW, before heading to the desert to play a re-vamped, re-energised ASU team next week.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

HALFA

Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:42 am

4 - Texas at UCF...will this be the next UM-AppState upset? Could be!

It certainly could be. I would not be surprised at all.

5 - Ohio State at Washington...Can OSU score? Has UW turned the corner? Is Ty Willingham laughing his ass off at ND?

Another upset in the making. I have watched both of UW's games this year and their freshman QB looks good.

- Hawaii at UNLV...will Hawaii play defense this week and will they run the ball at least once?

I'll be in Las Vegas tomorrow morning and will go to the game. It will be very interesting to see which Hawaii team shows up. They looked tired and hot last weekend, but it will be a different kind of hot tomorrow. UNLV played well against Wisconsin, and I think the 17 1/2 point spread in favor of Hawaii is crazy! I like my Warriors in another shootout, 48-35, and yes, Hawaii will call a running play.  Smile

HALFA
Hawaiian Airlines Since 1929...........

USAFHummer

Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:53 pm

Big game on campus this week here as Florida State comes to town for their first ever visit to the People's Republic of Boulder...nationally televised game on ESPN Saturday night, and it should be a good one (much better than the obvious FSU blowout when it was first scheduled)...FSU is having a down year, and although it remains to be seen what sort of year we will have, since we had one decent game and one really bad game, beating FSU could provide a huge lift to us...its totally feasible that we beat FSU as well, especially since the home crowd will be rocking (we havent had a home sellout since 2005 but we're gonna have one here tomorrow night!), and my fellow students are VERY pumped for this, which is another rarity given the relative apathy CU students have for school sports...definitely should be a good one, be sure to watch at 8 PM Mountain Time on ESPN!
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

AirCop

Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:13 pm

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 8):
8 PM Mountain Time on ESPN!

Thats Mountain Daylight Time for us that remain standard time all year around.
Personally, I think Dan Hawkins is going to make Colorado a permanent fixture at/or near the top of the Big 12 North Standings. Just give him another year or two.

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 8):
beating FSU could provide a huge lift to us...

Perhaps CU can use the home field to their advantage and have all those fast skill players from FSU dead tired by half time.

Quoting HALFA (Reply 7):
I have watched both of UW's games this year and their freshman QB looks good.

That one thing the Pac-10 doesn't lack; quality quarterbacks. USC, ASU, CAL, UW all have outstanding qb's that might someday be on a NFL roster.

AirCop

Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:26 pm

Just saw this score Troy 41 Oklahoma St 16 with five minutes to go... OUCH. A Big 12 team losing to a Sun Belt team ..are they going to have to walk back to Stillwater?

USAFHummer

Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:01 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 10):
Just saw this score Troy 41 Oklahoma St 16 with five minutes to go... OUCH. A Big 12 team losing to a Sun Belt team

Troy has a history of beating the Big 12...In 2004 they knocked off a Missouri team that was nationally ranked at the time (~#16 IIRC)...wouldnt surprise me to see Big 12 teams steer clear of playing Troy for a while...

Quoting AirCop (Reply 9):

Thats Mountain Daylight Time for us that remain standard time all year around.

You crazy Arizonans  Wink

garnetpalmetto

Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:39 pm

South Carolina matches up against the South Carolina State Bulldogs for the first time ever tomorrow - should be interesting! Overshadowing the game, however, is news that ESPN is reconsidering the notion of having any future College GameDays broadcast from Columbia, SC after the University of South Carolina athletics department set up the website www.letsshowcorso.com For those unaware, Corso made the prediction that South Carolina couldn't draw the recruits necessary to beat teams like Florida, Tennessee, or Clemson and that even if Steve Spurrier coached at USC for 400 years, we'd never win an SEC championship, let alone a national championship. The athletics department has taken that as a challenge and created a marketing campaign to help kick off a funding drive to help improve the athletics facilities at South Carolina. Take a look at the video and you'll see it's hardly threatening to Corso.

http://www.thestate.com/gamecocks/story/172200.html
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

S12PPL

Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:44 pm

Quoting HALFA (Reply 7):

Herbstreit has just said what I've been saying all year about Hawaii, on Gameday:

"I'm selling Hawaii. I don't think they have the defense to win a national championship... They'll win all of their games, but they shouldn't be in a BCS game."

coleplane

Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:57 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 10):
Troy 41 Oklahoma St 16

Watched it. What the heck happen to OSU? Didn't see this coming. Any Cowboys out there who can shed some light?
"About a nine on the tension scale there Rupe."

AirCop

Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:31 am

First South Florida (a good team) then Mississippi State (a poor team) things are not looking good at Auburn at the moment, whats next losing to New Mexico State?

USAFHummer

Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:39 am

Texas-UCF is turning out to be a pretty good game...end of the 3rd quarter its Texas 23, UCF 17, and UCF has the ball inside the Texas 5 and is threatening to score...

saxdiva

Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:29 am

If today's game wasn't a solid case for getting a coach who can lead a top-tier program, I don't know what is.

Humiliating.

MD-90

Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:17 am

I just got back from the Auburn-MSU game. We just played better today.

S12PPL

Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:14 am

Well, my Beavs did indeed respond to the tune of 61-10 over Idaho State.

Next up is Arizona State.

Go Beavs!

deltagator
Topic Author

Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:14 am

Florida had a great day against Tennessee and Phat Phil Fulmer. Always good to beat the Vols. Always good to have he early lead in the SEC East. Hopefully we can hold onto it. Next up...Ole Miss.

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 16):
Texas-UCF is turning out to be a pretty good game...end of the 3rd quarter its Texas 23, UCF 17, and UCF has the ball inside the Texas 5 and is threatening to score...

I told you all UCF would put up a good game. Texas go away by the skin of their teeth.

Quoting Saxdiva (Reply 17):
If today's game wasn't a solid case for getting a coach who can lead a top-tier program, I don't know what is.

Humiliating.

Which team are you giving the business to?

scottieprecord

Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:24 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 20):
I told you all UCF would put up a good game. Texas go away by the skin of their teeth.

Yes sir. And coach mack seemed pretty happy with their performance...

Colt still looks bad compared to his performances last year.

Nebraska was puttin up a fight for a good while, but I doubt they'll pull that win out.

deltagator
Topic Author

Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:25 am

Forgot to mention my prediction on UCLA being a Jeckyl and Hyde team appears to be coming true.

Add to that Notre Dame can't score to save their lives. Let's see Boston92 and Piercey spin this one. Should be humorous.

S12PPL

Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:29 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 22):
Let's see Boston92 and Piercey spin this one. Should be humorous.

I'm looking forward to it. Notre Shame hasn't put the ball in the endzone offensively all season. I always love to see Notre Shame tank it.

halls120

Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:15 pm

Add to that Notre Dame can't score to save their lives. Let's see Boston92 and Piercey spin this one. Should be humorous.

LOL, yes, just where are all our "USC is overrated" friends these days?

Question - will ND win a single game this year? OK, so they'll beat Navy. Who else?
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

71Zulu

Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:18 pm

Cannot believe Arkansas let Alabama come back and beat them. Two interference calls on the game winning drive and on the touchdown, the Arkansas defender did not even try to knock the ball down. Just sick about it.

Alabama 41
Arkansas 38

Don't get too excited Saban, you'll be seeing LSU soon enough.

corey07850

Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:22 pm

Quoting 71Zulu (Reply 25):
Alabama 41
Arkansas 38

Great game!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Louisville's lost to Kentucky yet... Went from the beautiful HD of the Bama/Arkansas game to the end of the the UK/UL game on crappy ESPN-Classic, but it was well worth it. Great job by Kentucky the whole game -- ending Lousiville's title hopes and top 10 ranking

pdxtriple7

Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:31 pm

DUKE WON A GAME. 20-14 at Northwestern. Our first win in two years!!!

da man

Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:32 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 15):
First South Florida (a good team) then Mississippi State (a poor team) things are not looking good at Auburn at the moment, whats next losing to New Mexico State?

Let's not start that yet, look at our schedule after New Mexico State.

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 18):
I just got back from the Auburn-MSU game. We just played better today.

We did play better, and we also got a glimpse of the future in the back-up QB, yet Cox had to screw it up again at the end.

WAR EAGLE! Big grin
War Eagle!

MaidensGator

Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:42 pm

Florida had a great day against Tennessee and Phat Phil Fulmer. Always good to beat the Vols. Always good to have he early lead in the SEC East. Hopefully we can hold onto it. Next up...Ole Miss.

Our defense is coming along... need to work on the pass rush, but when the offense puts up points like they did, we have a little cushion...

told you all UCF would put up a good game. Texas go away by the skin of their teeth.

Add to that Notre Dame can't score to save their lives.

After watching UCF today do you think Notre Dame might be wishing they'd kept George O'Leary???
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

fraspotter

Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:30 pm

I Just got back from the Texas A&M vs. Louisiana-Monroe game at Kyle Field. I'd say 54-14 is a good win for the Aggies! Stephen McGee got his passing game together and the Aggies are looking good going into the Thursday game against Miami (FL). A much needed large margin victory after that 47-45 3OT scare last weekend...

GIG 'EM AGGIES!!!!  thumbsup 
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

aloha73g

Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:44 pm

Hawai'i leading 42-7 with 5 mins left in the 4th Quarter.

Decent running game and defense. Colt threw for 298 yards before leaving the game in the 3rd Quarter.

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

tz757300

Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:05 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 5):

Looks like WVU didn't have much trouble with the turtles of Maryland. Oh well, I was hoping for a chance to move up in the rankings a little bit this week.

The 1st 10 seconds of the game were pure joy for me, a fumble by UMD and a touchdown for WVU. Just makes me smile. I really hope that they'll get their defense together because it doesn't look good at all yet. Only the next game will tell...

boeingfever777

Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:16 pm

LMFAO at Notre Dame....  rotfl 

"We are going back to our first day of installation of training camp," said Weis,

That sounds like Loyd Carr last week,

Don't they play undefeated Michigan State next week? God that is going to be brutal!  knockout 
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

dalb777

Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:28 pm

LSU beat Middle Tennessee State University 44-0.

Bring it on next week, Steve Spurrier!

Geaux Tigers!!!
Geaux Tigers! Geaux Hornets! Geaux Saints! WHO DAT!!!

senorcarnival

Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:31 pm

Quoting Scottieprecord (Reply 21):

The problem is that Texas is still running the "Let's see Vince Young do something cool" offense. Although McCoy is a respectable QB, he's far from being the next VY. Their secondary is still way off the mark and if they don't shape up, Sam Bradford and Malcolm Kelly are going to have a field day when they meet.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

senorcarnival

Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:37 pm

Quoting BoeingFever777 (Reply 33):

And Demetrius Jones is an NIU husky now! I wonder what excuse ND fans are going to come up with after this week.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

aloha73g

Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:18 pm

Hawai'i: 49
UNLV: 14

The defense looked good, we were very sucessful with our running game (for UH) and Colt was "on" as usual.

Brennan was 26 of 32 for 298 yards with 5 TDs (2 passes, 3 runs).
Hawai'i finished with 96 rushing yards and 396 passing yards (492 Total).

Brennan set an NCAA record by passing for 200+ yards in the 29th straight game.

Go Warriors!!!!

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

fraspotter

Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:56 pm

Quoting Senorcarnival (Reply 35):
Their secondary is still way off the mark and if they don't shape up, Sam Bradford and Malcolm Kelly are going to have a field day when they meet.

Not to mention Stephen McGee and the Mike Goodson/Javorskie Lane duo...

GIG 'EM AGGIES!!!!!  thumbsup 
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

D L X

Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:27 am

Michigan: no longer the suckiest team in college football. Notre Dame, that title belongs to you now.

KPDX

Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:46 am

Oregon layed the beatdown on Fresno State 52-21. Also coach Mike Belloti got his 100th win with Oregon.  Smile

Next up is Stanford. (Theyre going down)

GO DUCKS!

KPDX  Smile

modernArt

Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:52 am

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 11):
Troy has a history of beating the Big 12...In 2004 they knocked off a Missouri team that was nationally ranked at the time

Troy is 2-8 versus the Big 12, not much of a history.

Gig 'em Aggies FRAspotter. Class of '87 here. However, I think lowly Miami is going flim-flam the Aggies on Thursday.

USAFHummer

Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:19 am

Quoting ModernArt (Reply 41):
Troy is 2-8 versus the Big 12, not much of a history.

Im sure relative to the rest of the Sun Belt Conference teams vs. the Big 12, thats quite a history...

deltagator
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:53 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 39):
Michigan: no longer the suckiest team in college football. Notre Dame, that title belongs to you now.

Seriously, even Duke and FAU have won games this year. Notre Dame blows!

I have one question about Michigan though...did the team I thought they would have this year finally show up or was Notre Dame just that bad?

Does anyone think Weis will get fired? Maybe not after this game but what if they lose to MSU and go 0-4 for the first time ever? I wonder if the Priests at ND have spent too much on him and now regret the decision?

saxdiva

Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:55 am

Which team are you giving the business to?

I was referring to UCLA's 44-6 drubbing at Utah. Absolutely humiliating. What's worse was that the game was over by the beginning of the fourth quarter, the team had basically given up, yet Dorrell kept the starters in during what was essentially garbage time, which led to Bruce Davis and Shannon Tevaga being injured. That's inexcusable.  banghead 

No way is this guy qualified to lead a Pac-10 program. The only bright spot is that every disaster like this should be a nail in his coffin.  irked 

D L X

Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:19 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 43):
I have one question about Michigan though...did the team I thought they would have this year finally show up or was Notre Dame just that bad?

Don't know, but obviously I hope it's the former. I have a feeling that Michigan is back though. Big 10 opener is next saturday. If THIS Michigan team shows up for the rest of the year, can you believe it that Michigan will be in the Rose Bowl?

And can you believe that Carr will still be fired?

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 43):
Does anyone think Weis will get fired? Maybe not after this game but what if they lose to MSU and go 0-4 for the first time ever? I wonder if the Priests at ND have spent too much on him and now regret the decision?

Well, one thing's for sure, ND owes a big "our bad" to Ty Willingham. Now that all of Ty's folks have moved on and we have 100% Weis, it should be more than clear to world that ND screwed up supremely by ditching Ty.

deltagator
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:24 am

DLX, not trying to dig on you but I saw this picture over at http://deepsouthsports.net (I think it originally came from Fark.com) and got a good chuckle out of it.

Quoting D L X (Reply 45):
Well, one thing's for sure, ND owes a big "our bad" to Ty Willingham. Now that all of Ty's folks have moved on and we have 100% Weis, it should be more than clear to world that ND screwed up supremely by ditching Ty.

I'm not so sure getting rid of Willingham was a bad idea but the hiring of Weis surely wasn't a good one. I think it was Pat Forde on ESPN who had a good article on the conundrum that ND is in now. They gave Weis a huge extension after his first year mainly on the rumors of him leaving ND to go back to the NFL and now it will cost them a small fortune to buy him out if they so choose.

Personally I think he should get a 4th year just as they should have done with Willingham. Unfortunately ND has set a bad precedent and will look pretty crappy if they don't fire Weis. All I know is he was touted as an offensive genius and it has been shown that his players can't score to save their lives. They can't win the big game against ranked opponents and this year they can't even score. It's pathetic but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to extoll the virtues of Weis and how Jesus and the Blessed Virgin Mary have a plan for their team.

Quoting D L X (Reply 45):
If THIS Michigan team shows up for the rest of the year, can you believe it that Michigan will be in the Rose Bowl?

But no national championship game though. Even if everyone has two losses there is no way that UM gets into the title game. No being rude...just realistic.