UAL747
Topic Author

Cracks In Your Heels

Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:57 am

Maybe this is a disgusting post, I dunno, but do any of you get cracks in the skin of your heels? I have this pedicure tool that removes all the dead skin from your feet as many of you know it can build up, especially if you wear sandals a lot, which I do in the summer, but everytime I exfoliate my heals and remove the skin build up, they crack, sort of like having chapped lips.

So I'm not sure what to do. Maybe get some really good foot cream? I mean, I don't want my feet looking gross and calloused (sp?) which is why I exfoliate them so much, but damn, these cracks get big and they hurt! But if I leave them alone, they still stay cracked and as the skin builds up, the cracks look so deep. Not sure what to do.....

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

IFEMaster

RE: Cracks In Your Heels

Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:01 am

That sounds a bit like athelete's foot to me. Get some Tanactin and spray away.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

UAL747
Topic Author

Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:04 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 1):
That sounds a bit like athelete's foot to me. Get some Tanactin and spray away.

No, it's not athletes foot. It's not fungal. It's just cracking of the skin....where the skin is really dry.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

sunshine79

Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:07 am

I get cracked heels all the time, and Im bad for getting blisters too. I usually use a very intensive moisturiser for my feet and thicken my feet with the cream and put some cotton socks on when i go to bed. It does help, one of the best I´ve found is Avon´s Planet Spa African Shea Butter Intensive Foot & Elbow Créme with AHA. It really softens the skin on my feet.
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

AsstChiefMark

Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:17 am

This stuff will fix it. Seriously.

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

fr8mech

Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:28 am

There's a reason for the build-up; that's so the skin on your foot doesn't crack. As you may imagine this is one if the most abused skin areas on th body. The body builds a natural defense in order to protect itself and you exfoliate! I'd crack on you too if you exfoliated me while trying to protect you from various microbial intrusions.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

PPVRA

Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:17 am

Quoting Sunshine79 (Reply 3):
Avon´s Planet Spa African Shea Butter Intensive Foot & Elbow Créme with AHA.

Dang, is that one product?

Btw, I don't get those. But I've seen people with them. Didn't know they hurt.

Would it not work to just keep the callus off by getting rid of it? I've seen people "sanding" it and "shaving" it ?(don't know the pedicure terms).

[Edited 2007-09-18 21:21:04]
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

Faustino927

Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:55 am

I can also recommend Burt's Bees Coconut Foot Cream with Vitamin E. It is great for cracked and rough skin on the heels.

Coconut Foot Creme
Go nuts for incredibly soft feet.
How it Works
This pampering natural foot cream combines coconut oil, lanolin and vegetable glycerin to revive and rejuvenate even the driest, most neglected feet. There's also a hint of natural rosemary and peppermint oils to refresh tired feet.

How to Use It
Apply liberally and allow the cream to fully absorb. For a luxurious way to treat your feet, soak feet in warm water for 10-15 minutes and rub gently with a pumice stone. Massage Coconut Foot Creme into feet, paying close attention to heels and calloused skin. Then cover your feet with cotton socks overnight to soothe and seal in moisture.

Featured Ingredient
Coconut Oil — The flesh of the coconut is rich in emollient fat and, when pressed, yields a white, sweetly-scented, super-moisturizing oil, which is a solid at room temperature but easily melts on the skin.
Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

swatpamike

Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:26 am

Hello all

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 4):
This stuff will fix it. Seriously.

checkmark 

UDDERLY SMOOTH, This is great stuff.

Cheers

swatpamike

lgbga

Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:32 am

This is a problem that women who wear open shoes have always dealt with. I think now that men wear more flip flops and sandals, they are suffering from it too. My husband always had soft feet but now that he wears flops a lot they've gotten rough. Bath and Body works has a very good line of foot products. The one I like the most is called True Blue Spa "Shea it isn't so Foot Cream" made with obviously, shea butter, which is great. It has a kind of minty smell so a man could use it without feeling girly. Unless girly is your thing.  Smile

redngold

Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:43 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 2):
No, it's not athletes foot. It's not fungal. It's just cracking of the skin....where the skin is really dry.

You can get a fungal infection that appears dry and scaly. When I was in college, I had a nasty case of fungus foot that started with dry, peeling skin on my heels and eventually spread across the entire soles of both feet. I finally sought treatment after going to a swimming pool... when I got out of the water and sat on a beach towel for a few minutes, an enormous slab of skin sloughed off (I'm talking three or four square inches here) while I was talking with my friends. They were disgusted, I was mortified... a few weeks of tolnaftate spray worked wonders.
Up, up and away!

Duff44

Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:16 am

One quick word about putting stuff on your feet: make sure they're not still greasy from the lotion when you step into the shower... or you'll slip and break your ass!!

I did it last winter, so just trust me on this one.

Being diabetic, I peek at my feet at least 3-4 times a week to check for anything I should note. Fortunately I have not had any splitting or anything like that (apart from stepping on a piece of glass in February). I say don't 'scrape off' the dead skin, as it should fall off on its own. I just let nature do the work and have never had any problems.
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

vaporlock

Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:39 am

Quoting UAL747 (Thread starter):
I exfoliate my heals and remove the skin build up, they crack, sort of like having chapped lips.

If you are going to exfoliate your heels, don't take off so much skin build up it is there for protection. It's OK to remove some but don't go at it so hard.

Quoting Lgbga (Reply 9):
This is a problem that women who wear open shoes have always dealt with

Oh ya, I love wearing open shoes hell, I'd love to go bare food for the rest of my life...but needless to say that would be impossible. lol

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 11):
One quick word about putting stuff on your feet: make sure they're not still greasy from the lotion when you step into the shower... or you'll slip and break your ass!!

LMAO....I know it is not funny. It has happened to me before....so I know what your talking about.

I have found that "GLYSOMED" hand cream works great on your feed. It makes them sooooooo smooth and no-cracks. UDDERLY SMOOTH, is also really good.

Good Luck!

Phyllis  bouncy 

AsstChiefMark

Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:56 am

Quoting UAL747 (Thread starter):
Cracks In Your Heels

You can try gluing them with waterproof glue, but the best thing to do is just give up and throw them away.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

beefer

Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:07 pm

Yes, this used to be a huge problem for me. I think I tried about twenty different products and they all seemed to help to varying degrees but never seemed to solve the problem.

The solution I have found is to ALWAYS wear socks!!!! I started wearing socks to bed at night and the problem pretty much took care of itself. The only time I do not wear socks is when I'm taking a shower or swimming. No sandals, flip flops, etc. for me. I always thought they looked stupid anyway.

cxsjr

Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:16 pm

Quoting Beefer (Reply 14):
The solution I have found is to ALWAYS wear socks!!!! ..... No sandals

If you move to Germany, you could get away with both  wink 
The world is a book, those who do not travel read only one page ....

HAWK21M

Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:49 pm

Use "Krack" cream after washing feet,for 2-3 weeks.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

sunshine79

Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:41 pm

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 6):
Dang, is that one product?

Yes it is, and it´s bloody good stuff.
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

SJUboeingGirl

Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:32 am

If you want to try something natural mix some olive oil with 1/4 teaspoon of lemon juice .... I read it in the newspaper, try it.
If it's not Boeing, I ain't Going!

AsstChiefMark

Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:39 am

Quoting SJUboeingGirl (Reply 18):
If you want to try something natural mix some olive oil with 1/4 teaspoon of lemon juice

... sauté over an open flame for 10 minutes.