Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

swiftski
Topic Author

FedEx Problem

Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:54 am

Rant Warning:

I ordered something from the US to be shipped to the UK as a gift. It should have arrived by now; I paid for the highest value (fastest) service.

FedEx have received my address wrong from the company whom I purchased from.

Her address format:

Flat X
Road X
London
XXX XXX

FedEx received it as:

Flat X
London

The shipped has aknowledged their error and refunded me my shipping. Fine. Mistakes happen.

I am currently in Hong Kong, so called FedEx HK to ask them to help.

"Shipment is not in or outbound of HK, we cannot help. You need to contact UK FedEx"

So I did, at high phone call costs.

"Shipment originated in the US, and address is so different from the one we received that this will go as a change of address, not an ammendment. We cannot help. You need to contact US FedEx"

So I did, again, at high cost.

"Shipment is to UK, you need to contact UK FedEx"

So I did. Again.

Same answer - "Shipment from US, need to contact US FedEx"

So I contacted HK FedEx for more advice.

"Shipment is not in or outbound of HK, you need to contact US FedEx"

(The opposite of what they said earlier)

So I emailed, instead of called, and got:

"We received your e-mail. Thank you for contacting FedEx. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We regret that we are unable to address your concern via this avenue. For immediate assistance, please contact your local FedEx Representative at 08456 07 08 09 or you may direct your emails to [email protected] "

banghead 

I do not beleive that of the 1,000's of FedEx employees, no-one knows how to handle this.

Daleaholic

FedEx Problem

Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:13 am

Right... you ordered something from the US, to be delivered to the UK... and you're in Hong Kong?

Quoting Swiftski (Thread starter):
FedEx received it as:

Flat X
London

The shipped has aknowledged their error and refunded me my shipping. Fine. Mistakes happen.

To me, it looks as though the blame lies solely with the person who shipped the item!

FX may be useless, but they're no more moronic than the person who wrote your address wrongly....
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

swiftski
Topic Author

FedEx Problem

Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:17 am

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 1):
Right... you ordered something from the US, to be delivered to the UK... and you're in Hong Kong?

UK resident, ordering as a gift. Should have arrived before I left to HK.

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 1):
FX may be useless, but they're no more moronic than the person who wrote your address wrongly....

Agreed. They have refunded me shipping, which is all they can really do. I have exhausted all the options offered to me by FedEx with no progress. I have no idea how they want me to proceed as I won't continue in this annoying triangle. of HK-UK-US and back.

fxramper

FedEx Problem

Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:17 am

You have a reputation on this site and I personally oversaw the mislabeling and shipment of your "gift".

PS. Buy the insurance on that RealDoll next time!

rotfl 

boeingfever777

FedEx Problem

Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:23 am

It lies on the responsibility of the company you bought it from for effing up your address! Stop crying about it... FX did nothing wrong and shipped it to the address that they were provided with!

I think next time my package gets messed up I'll call Fedex Iceland and whine about it instead of calling my brother.

Quoting FXramper (Reply 3):
Buy the insurance on that RealDoll next time!

rotfl 
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

swiftski
Topic Author

FedEx Problem

Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:34 am

You have a reputation on this site

What's that then?

Will do. Thanks for the tip. Thanks also for looking after it while it's at your depot.

Quoting BoeingFever777 (Reply 4):
It lies on the responsibility of the company you bought it from for effing up your address! Stop crying about it... FX did nothing wrong and shipped it to the address that they were provided with!

Per the phone agent, I need to sort this, not A&F (whom I ordered from).

Don't get me wrong; I understand the principle. Person "X" or Department "Y" in Country "Z" is the right contact to fix this. That's perfectly fine, and logical. What isn't, is that I am unable to get the correct information as to who/where this is, or, if I am being given the right info, that person/team isn't helping me.

FWIW the package received 8 status updates before the person/computer (I don't know how they work) noticed that the address was incomplete. Would this be because US employees are trained on US address format and UK employees on UK formats?

lewis

FedEx Problem

Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:39 am

A similar thing has happened to me, only that the address was correct but DHL delivered at a random address in London. Worst thing is, when checking the online tracker I saw that my parcel was delivered somewhere and signed by person X. I was looking for him all over my campus when DHL called to apologise for delivering it somewhere else on their own fault (after insisting that they were right and I was wrong...). It took them a week to collect and re-deliver. I just could not understand how the moron signed and received my parcel when clearly it was not his name and address on the parcel.

MaidensGator

FedEx Problem

Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:56 am

rotfl  rotfl   rotfl 

Quoting BoeingFever777 (Reply 4):

checkmark  checkmark  checkmark 

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 5):

That's a load of crap... You paid for an item to be delivered to a specific address. The seller shipped it to the wrong address, so they have not fulfilled their contract. You should insist they ship another one to the correct address and let them deal with getting the original package back. FedEx did nothing wrong. What are they supposed to do? Check every flat in London looking for the right one?
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

swiftski
Topic Author

FedEx Problem

Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:00 am

Quoting MaidensGator (Reply 7):
What are they supposed to do? Check every flat in London looking for the right one?

No. See my earlier reply:

Don't get me wrong; I understand the principle. Person "X" or Department "Y" in Country "Z" is the right contact to fix this. That's perfectly fine, and logical. What isn't, is that I am unable to get the correct information as to who/where this is, or, if I am being given the right info, that person/team isn't helping me.

You should insist they ship another one to the correct address and let them deal with getting the original package back.

Good idea; I hadn't thought to ask for a new shipment; only to try to fix the first. I'll try that. Thanks for the advice.

aa61hvy

FedEx Problem

Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:10 am

The seller shipped it to the wrong address

Exactly, I didn't realize that the customer service reps knew every single address.

Swifski-if you're deeply concerned ask to speak with the customer advocate team...

But it's either your fault or the shippers fault-it is possible to get an address change in transit, for a fee.

I'd typically offer my services to assist you, but not when you call FedEx moronic....Use UPS next time, please.

Edit: what you could have said was "Can one of the FedEx employees on here help"
There are a bunch of us...

[Edited 2007-09-22 20:12:08]
Go big or go home

swiftski
Topic Author

FedEx Problem

Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:15 am

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 9):
I'd typically offer my services to assist you, but not when you call FedEx moronic....

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 9):
hat you could have said was "Can one of the FedEx employees on here help"

Fair point. It's a rant, but I should be more polite. I'm unsure that I can change the title now. Sorry to offend.

fr8mech

RE: FedEx Problem

Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:15 am

[

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 2):
They have refunded me shipping, which is all they can really do.

No, it is not the only thing they can do. They probably have a contract with FEDEX. This also means that all packages that come from this company will be tracked on their account. FEDEX should have an area where an undeliverable package from this company sits until the proper address is accessed or the shipper requests a return.

Now, you have a contract with the shipper, whether you know this or not. You paid for a product and you have not received it. The shipper was kind enough to refund you the cost of shipping. That's nice of them. They should also refund you the price of the item or ship you a new one. The issue of the lost package lays between them and FEDEX. You have an issue with the shipper. The SHIPPER owes you a product, not FEDEX.

Ship UPS.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

CaptOveur

Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:53 pm

As in Abercrombie and Fitch?

That is the problem right there.. when you only hire attractive people you have to make certain concessions- like the ability to correctly enter an international address into the computer that prints the shipping labels.. You can rest assured though- the person shipping your package had really nice abs.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

fr8mech

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:01 pm

No, you don't have to sort this out. The shipping problem is between FEDEX and A&F. The product problem (the fact that you didn't receive it) is between you and A&F.

Did you use a credit card. Dispute the charge and let your credit card company go after it.

A&F owes you a product or a refund. They entered the wrong address, not FEDEX and not you. Do not let them bully you into a FEDEX claim. They make a claim with FEDEX, you force the issue with them.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

senorcarnival

Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:42 am

Bottom line: you ordered a product from a company who subcontracted to have it delivered. This now becomes an issue between said company and their logistics subcontractor so you need to get on the phone with A&F and bitch them out to get them to resolve this with FedEx and a-either give you a refund or b-ship another item.

If you're looking for cheaper ways to make a phone call, see if Skype or some other such internet phone service offers you better rates from your location otherwise this will be a pretty expensive gift (well it's from A&F so it's probably pretty pricey already Big grin .) Also, for the most part, a lot of these customer service representatives are only there to make a buck and if you run into any sort of adverse scenario that was not covered in training they are (again, for the most part) useless. When you do get around to calling A&F, insist in either speaking with a supervisor or with an escalations team that are better trained to handle "outside of the box" issues. Good luck!
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

n229nw

Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:33 am

Quoting Captoveur (Reply 12):
As in Abercrombie and Fitch?

That is the problem right there.. when you only hire attractive people you have to make certain concessions- like the ability to correctly enter an international address into the computer that prints the shipping labels.. You can rest assured though- the person shipping your package had really nice abs.

Quoting Senorcarnival (Reply 14):
If you're looking for cheaper ways to make a phone call, see if Skype or some other such internet phone service offers you better rates from your location otherwise this will be a pretty expensive gift

Skype calls to toll free numbers in the US are free, regardless of where you make them from, and I'm not sure but I think it is the same for freephone numbers in the UK. Even if there is no toll free number, it is only 2 cents a minute...

[Edited 2007-09-23 22:38:17]
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

rfields5421

Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:54 am

FWIW the package received 8 status updates before the person/computer (I don't know how they work) noticed that the address was incomplete. Would this be because US employees are trained on US address format and UK employees on UK formats?

No - the address said London, and that was all the first 8 status updates were doing - getting the box to London. When it arrived there would be the first time anyone looked at the address closely enough to see that it was undeliverable.

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 2):
They have refunded me shipping, which is all they can really do. I have exhausted all the options offered to me by FedEx with no progress.

As noted above - refunding you the shipping is NOT all they can do. At a minimum you must demand a full refund of your purchase price and compensation for all your expensive phone calls.

If they do not promptly respond, you need to name the company with whom you ordered the product - and make public complaints about THEIR customer service.

Not Federal Express.

Now as far as FDX - it appears you have the airbill number - correct?

The SHIPPER needs to contact the FDX office where THEY shipped the package with the airbill # and work with that office to have the address on the package updated/ corrected.

If the package is undeliverable, it will should be returned to the shipper, unless they have other arrangements with FDX.
Not all who wander are lost.

CaptOveur

Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:04 am

Quoting RFields5421 (Reply 16):
If the package is undeliverable, it will should be returned to the shipper, unless they have other arrangements with FDX.

It can only be returned by the Fedex guy with the really nice abs. Otherwise it invalidates the shipping contract. Abercrombie & Fitch can't let the standard Fedex guy with a beer gut near their offices- it would ruin their image. The Fedex guy in Columbus with nice abs is on vacation for at least another week- so your package will be delayed.

crazy 
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.