copaair737

RE: America's Favorite Cities '07

Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:55 am

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 46):
Yea Coral Gables, Downtown Miami, Coconut Grove, Bal Harbour, Golden Beach, Aventura, Miami Shores all horrible areas right? When is the last time you where in Miami just curious?

Outside of Downtown Miami, none of those places are in Miami.

And Downtown Miami sucks.
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

flymia

Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:29 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 50):
Outside of Downtown Miami, none of those places are in Miami.

And Downtown Miami sucks.

Downtown Miami Sucks? Its not the best downtown but it does not suck go to Orlando, Tampa, Los Angeles, Philadelphia now those are downtown's which suck. Give it 5 more years and it will be a great place to live work and have fun. Downtown Miami does have a good night life right now.
And you said outside of Downtown Miami none of those places are in Miami but Miami Beach is in Miami? Miami Beach is its own city. All those places are Miami Metro area. And Coconut Grove is in the Miami City Limits, along with Brickell Avenue Bay Point and Mourning Side which are all nice upper class neighborhoods.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

copaair737

Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:31 am

Miami: Where you can have Beverly Hills bordering Mogadishu.

Miami sucks. I'd take Philly over Miami. LA is above Miami IMO. Most of Miami is a giant ghetto.
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

flymia

Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:37 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 52):
Miami sucks. I'd take Philly over Miami.

Okay I can agree many people will take LA over Miami. Some people say Miami is a smaller version of LA. But Philly come on lets not go over board here. I have many friends from the Philly area, none actually live in Philly and they all say they never actually go into the city to have fun since they dont feel safe in the city and there really is nothing to do there.
Whats next Detroit over Miami too?  Wink
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

D L X

Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:50 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 36):
Anyone who goes to the Santa Monica Farmer's Market and says it isn't the best is a liar or has no concept of food.

Anyone who thinks the farmer's market in LA is better than the average farmer's market in the South or Midwest hasn't been to either.

The city also wins on diversity, and definitely when it comes to blending diversity.

Bullshit. LA is one of the most segregated cities on the planet. You lose diversity points when everyone hates each other. Witness NYC on the other hand where people of all walks commonly interact.

Which is, of course, why it is the second largest city

No, it's the second largest city because it went annex-crazy. It has an absolutely ginormous land area, but is less dense than the average DC, Philly, NY, or certainly Boston suburb. People in LA hate each other so much that they not dare live within 30 feet of each other, let alone talk to them.

Don't mistake quantity for quality.

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 51):
now those are downtown's which suck.

We know how to spell downtowns in Washington.  Wink

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 53):
Whats next Detroit over Miami too?

Yes. The realest people you'll ever meet are in Detroit. The fakest people you'll ever meet are in Miami.

LAXspotter

Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:05 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 54):
LA is one of the most segregated cities on the planet

cant argue against that, but that is true in any major city in the US, there is always a "White" area, a "Black" area, a "Hispanic" area, and a "Asian area", however its just how people are, people feel comfortable around people of their own kind, its human nature. I dont really care, since I'm not a 1st generation immigrant, and I have learned to live which multicultural neighbors as I dont have a choice, and frankly I could care less. Name one city in the US atleast, that doenst have de facto racial segregation...
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

D L X

Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:21 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 55):
LA is one of the most segregated cities on the planet

cant argue against that, but that is true in any major city in the US, there is always a "White" area, a "Black" area, a "Hispanic" area, and a "Asian area", however its just how people are,

I hate to say it to ya, but this is spoken like a true Californian!  Sad

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 55):
Name one city in the US atleast, that doenst have de facto racial segregation...

Already have: NYC. DC is pretty mixed up also, especially in the suburbs, although it does have a large mostly Black area on the east side. However, Blacks live in all parts of the city -- they are not confined to that east side.

In most cities, the breakdown is by socio-economic class. In California, more than any other place I've ever been to, the breakdown actually is by race.

vikkyvik

Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:22 am

Quoting Diamond (Reply 47):
As for the rest of you haters . . . just scratch L.A. off of your to-do list and we'll try to get along without you!

Sorry, I'm already here  Smile
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

D L X

Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:32 am

I'll happily take palm trees over polar bears any day of the week.

The palm trees are more likely to talk to you than the other residents in LA. Unless you have double-d's or a phat ride.

Alias1024

Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:52 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 32):
Uhh..... huh? How DC and NY didn't top out this list amazes me.
NY: a city with a big-ass park in it. DC: a park with a big-ass city in it.

Portland has Forest Park right next to downtown. It's over 5,000 acres of forested area with more than 70 miles of hiking and biking trails, and is the largest urban park in America. Just to round things out, Portland also has the world's smallest park, Mill Ends Park, which is basically a traffic median.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mill_Ends_Park
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

diamond

Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:04 am

Witness NYC on the other hand where people of all walks commonly interact

INTERACT? Where? Pushing each other out of the subway? Fighting over the same baggage carousel at LGA? If that's "interaction", you may have it.

People in LA hate each other so much that they not dare live within 30 feet of each other, let alone talk to them

Oh come on. I don't hate anyone here. And no one that matters hates me either.

Quoting D L X (Reply 58):
The palm trees are more likely to talk to you than the other residents in LA. Unless you have double-d's or a phat ride

I have the ride. Somehow I think the double-D's would be confusing to all of us.
Blank.

MIAspotter

Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:48 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 9):

Phew! I was in Vegas for christmas last year and I was thinking on driving to LA to have a look, glad I didn't, how's the surrounding areas? like Anaheim and OC?

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 50):
And Downtown Miami sucks

It does, but right now Downtown Miami is going thru some huge redevelopment work, like FlyMIA said it will be a cool place soon.

Still, I wouldn't live there again... I am quite happy in BCN and only go to MIA to visit relatives.

MIAspotter
Nos vamos de Vueling?

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:11 am

Yes places stay open 24/7/365. Miami really does never sleep. South Beach is 24/7. And no matter where you are in the city you will find something to do any day at any hour.

Yep, pretty much the same in New Orleans, New York, Las Vegas, etc. I've been to MIA a few times and I think the beach is gorgeous....but at the same time, I got the impression that it was filled with a bunch of fake people who just want to see and be seen. Give me a stripped down, low key dive bar with a local house band who starts playing at 1:00am down off of Magazine Street any day. But, to each his own.

Only thing Miami is missing compared to other cities like Austin

That is a HUGE thing to have missing, and it is probably a big reason why MIA is not in the top 3 in the night life category. Cities like AUS, MSY, NYC have all types of music playing nightly across all the city.

Miami is a bit safer too.

That really depends on the area you are in. Like with MSY in the French Quarter, I'm sure South Beach is inherently pretty safe. Once you venture off the beaten path, you could find trouble.

knoxibus

Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:04 am

I go to LA around every two months (well actually to Irvine), and I like the surrounding areas, especially OC and Laguna Beach.

For me it is too big of a city/zone, I am under the impression that it is very difficult to interact with people unless you go to a mall such as the big one next to SNA (West Coast Plaza IIRC) or Irvine Spectrum.

When I go around, generally downtown/hollywood blvd, griffith park/glendale, santa monica, I get mixed feelings. Sometimes I feel very comfortable while in other days I don't like the area too much.

There's is plenty of things to do for sure but I have the impression that it's very "hype".

The coastal part of OC however, I do like it a lot (Laguna beach, Balboa Island, up to Newport beach).

It's a big change from Toulouse anyway.
No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world.

767Lover

Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:00 pm

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 21):
but Atlanta has some of the best authentic ethnic food you'll find anywhere

Apparently, soul food doesn't count. Sad

LOL, actually really good authentic soul food is the one thing I've yet to find. I'm dying for a good piece of fried chicken or fish that isn't all yuppified.

Tom in NO

Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:08 pm

Seems like Travel and Leisure acknowledges a bunch of plusses about a certain town that most people either conveniently ignore, or try to prove don't exist any more:

SHOPPING
Flea markets
1. New Orleans

PEOPLE
Diversity
3. New Orleans

Friendly
2. New Orleans

FOOD AND DINING
Ethnic food
3. New Orleans

The very first thing I noticed when I moved here from SoCal twenty years was how friendly and real the people here were (D L X in reply 58 is 100% correct).....of course the food and dining observations on my part came shortly thereafter, and our flea market is one of the better ones.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

IFEMaster

Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:25 pm

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 61):
how's the surrounding areas? like Anaheim and OC?

Anaheim is nothing to write home about. There are some nice parts, and of course Disneyland, Angel Stadium etc. South OC is nice...from Newport Beach down, especially the coastal towns. Laguna Beach is just stunning.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

knoxibus

Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:38 pm

Quoting Knoxibus (Reply 63):
The coastal part of OC however, I do like it a lot (Laguna beach, Balboa Island, up to Newport beach).

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 66):
South OC is nice...from Newport Beach down, especially the coastal towns. Laguna Beach is just stunning

Guess we have the same taste in living surroundings (and a similar occupation = IFE)

Laguna beach is really really nice. Quite close to LA, but secluded in such a way that it has its own particular style. And driving up the PCH up to Newport/Huntingdon is so nice.

I have been down to Miami (both downtown and Beach), but I felt unsecured and quite overwhelmed with what was going on there.
No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world.

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:41 pm

Here's the complete breakdown for New Orleans. I'm only going to list the categories where the city made top 10 and above. Like Tom said, it's interesting to note just how high people rank New Orleans where some have written the city off.

AFTER DARK

Clubbing: #4
Cocktail hour: #1
Live music: #1
Singles scene: #3

CHARACTERISTICS

Affordability: #3
Gay-friendliness: #2
People watching: #2

CITYSCAPE

Notable neighborhoods: #6
Pedestrian friendliness: #9

CULTURE

Architecture/notable buildings: #5
Historical sights/monuments: #6
Underground arts scene: #6

FOOD/DINING

Barbecue: #8
Big-name restaurants: #2
Cheap eats: #1
Coffee: #3
Ethnic food: #3
Farmers' market: #4

PEOPLE

Diverse: #3
Friendly: #2
Fun: #1

SHOPPING

Antiques: #1
Flea markets: #1
Vintage clothing/jewelry: #2

TYPE OF TRIP

Businss trip (that's secretly fun): #2
Girlfriend getaway: #1
Romantic escape: #6
Wild weekend: #1

IFEMaster

Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:22 pm

West Coast Plaza IIRC

South Coast Plaza. Nice place but mostly up-market fashion boutiques. Has an excellent Apple store as well.

Irvine Spectrum

That's a fun place. Also 'The Block' in Orange and Fashion Island are similar. The Block has a very cool 'Dave & Busters' and also has one of my favourite places to eat - Cafe Tu Tu Tango.

Quoting Knoxibus (Reply 67):
Guess we have the same taste in living surroundings

I love living here. The weather is pretty much perfect and it's far enough away from LA that I don't have to contend with...pretty much all the stuff that's been listed in this thread already. Especially air you can chew on.

ANCFlyer

Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:55 pm

Very interesting. The two moderators who stepped away from their beers long enough to type a few insults about L.A. are from Anchorage and Rochester, respectively.

rotfl   rotfl 

Yup, Anchorage is a dive as well occasionally . . .

That's why I just moved to Kenai . . .  bigthumbsup 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

flymia

Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:56 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 62):
That really depends on the area you are in. Like with MSY in the French Quarter, I'm sure South Beach is inherently pretty safe. Once you venture off the beaten path, you could find trouble.

You have to cross a bridge and than go past downtown to get into trouble.

Quoting Knoxibus (Reply 67):
I have been down to Miami (both downtown and Beach), but I felt unsecured and quite overwhelmed with what was going on there.

When did you go memorial day weekend? South Beach unsecured? There is a cop on every corner at night.

Toast

Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:03 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 70):
That's why I just moved to Kenai . . .

Kenai is a city in Kenai Peninsula Borough in the U.S. state of Alaska. According to 2005 Census Bureau estimates, the population of the city is 7,464. (...)

The first dirt road from Anchorage was constructed in 1951; pavement would not arrive until 1956 with the construction of the Kenai Spur highway. (...)

About 8.2% of families and 9.8% of the population were below the poverty line (...)

The name Kenai is probably derived from Kenayskaya, the Russian name for the Cook Inlet and translates to "flat, barren land". (...)

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenai%2C_Alaska)

Congratulations!  duck 
Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

Tom in NO

Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:29 pm

Quoting Toast (Reply 72):
The first dirt road from Anchorage was constructed in 1951; pavement would not arrive until 1956 with the construction of the Kenai Spur highway. (...)

Next thing you know someone here will be inquiring of Pep as to whether or not electricity has made its way there, and whether or not the Pony Express mail service has been replaced yet...  wink   duck 

Either way, Pep, absolute props on both the move and the family going's-on...

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

gunsontheroof

Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:47 pm

Pretty agreeable list from where I'm sitting, though I have no idea how Seattle got left off the "access to the outdoors" list.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

ANCFlyer

Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:49 pm

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 73):
Either way, Pep, absolute props on both the move and the family going's-on...

Thanks!

It's great, and Kenai is an awesome place . . . especially for someone with Teenagers . . . Anchorage ain't the city it was a decade ago . . .

Don't rely too heavily on the wiki crap.

http://www.visitkenai.com/

http://www.kenaichamber.org/

Great hunting and fishing. Little crime - definitely not Anchorage. Better schools for the girls. Convenient shopping. Two and a half hours from ANC by car, 20 minutes by Dash-8.

The name Kenai is probably derived from Kenayskaya, the Russian name for the Cook Inlet and translates to "flat, barren land". (...)

Probably not the correct one. Kenai is surrounded by Mountains . . . so, um once again, Wiki probably got it wrong. Likely the city draws it's name from the Inuit name for Black Bear . . . there are a hell of a lot of bears around. Moose too. Always spooking Maggie the mut.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

greggarious

Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:56 pm

The fakest people you'll ever meet are in Miami.

Not all of us!  wave 

I personally love my hometown! Granted, I don't stray too far ouside of Key Biscayne, South Beach, Coral Gables, and Coconut Grove, but there's some genuinely great people down in Miami! Plus, where else in the country can you get away with wearing shorts and a t-shirt and go down to the beach 362 days out of the year (the other three days are when the temperature dropes below 50!)? Miami's not my favourite city in the U.S., but it's definitely got a lot going for it.

waterpolodan

Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:16 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 16):
Not every block actually. You would love L.A if you would see our house over there.

Ooooh, look at me! Mommy and daddy bought me a vacation house! You'd love the city too if you could afford one!!!
 Wink

Oh let me count the ways. (Seriously, this is fodder for another thread. Anyone want to start it?)
10) LA isn't even a city. It's a loosely formed collection of carcinogens and pollutants.
9) You can't breathe the air.
8) You can see the air.
7) Everyone is an actor
6) (but no one actually knows how to act.)
5) Better fun friends.
4) They don't like you anyways, so why kiss up to them?
3) Betterthanyouitis
2) The girls are all sixes that think they are tens
1) and to sum up, LA simply sucks. It sucks like a Hoover.

Great!  rotfl 

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 40):
Miami might be the worst, most overrated city in the USA.

I'd rather spend a week in LA than a week in Miami.

Miami has one stretch of nice area (Miami Beach) and the rest is pretty much Liberty City.

That's why you have to count the greater metro area, with coconut grove (actually part of miami itself), coral gables, south miami, key biscayne, ect.

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 41):
I think so.

Do places in MIA stay open 24/7/365? If so, I can assure you that N.O has the city beat by a long shot in terms of the number of establishments.

Miami may have South Beach, but New Orleans has the French Quarter, Warehouse District, Magazine Street, and Uptown. Sorry man....N.O is the better town for nightlife when all is said and done.

I'm qualified to judge both as I'm a 21 year old student in school in New Orleans but from Miami, so I've spent a good number of late nights out in both cities. They both have their own unique feel, personally I prefer Miami because of the latin flavor as that is what I have grown up with and I'm hopelessly attracted to latin women, but there are many negatives. When you go out in Miami, regardless of where you are going, you have to look damn good. In Nola, you can go to wherever the hell you want wearing whatever you want (for the most part), and it is generally a much more relaxed and less shallow atmosphere. My favorite thing about New Orleans vis a vis Miami is the price of drinks. Anyone ever been to Miss Mae's (aka The Club) on Magazine and Napoleon? You can get blitzed for 6 bucks, while that is a small fraction of the cover charge in a typical south beach club, to say nothing of the 10 dollar or more drink. Too bad some foolish drunkard set Mae's on fire, can't wait till they reopen. Also, it's great to have live music like Soul Rebels at Le Bon Temps every thursday night. I love Miami, but it sometimes feels waaaaay too spread out, as it can take nearly an hour for me to get from my home in the gables to a friend's place on the beach sometimes, while I can leave Tulane here in New Orleans and be basically anywhere within half an hour.

Evan767

Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:23 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 38):
Little to do huh? You mean like spending the day at the beach, shopping at the best farmer's market in the world, eating great food, catching great sports, shopping, more visual media than anywhere...

I don't know about you, but I was talking about Los Angeles city...
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

sw733

Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:01 am

Quoting B747forever (Reply 1):
Why is not Los Angeles in the top 3 in any list???

Got to say LA is, in my opinion, a horrible, horrible city...I've been to some ratty places across Africa and such, and while LA at least has some money, the people are pretty rude, and it's just generally a crappy place.

N1120A

Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:52 pm

Anyone who thinks the farmer's market in LA is better than the average farmer's market in the South or Midwest hasn't been to either.

LMAO. Of course I have been to farmer's markets in the South and the Midwest. I also grew up in a Los Angeles suburb, surrounded by strawberries, raspberries, celery, onions, lemons, oranges, grapefruit and every other kind of fruit and vegetable you can think of. There is a reason restaurants in New York City ship in produce purchased at the Santa Monica Farmer's Market.

Bullshit. LA is one of the most segregated cities on the planet. You lose diversity points when everyone hates each other. Witness NYC on the other hand where people of all walks commonly interact.

Excuse me. L.A. is one of the best cities at actually integrating its population, unlike other places in this country where segregated populations indeed do exist.

No, it's the second largest city because it went annex-crazy.

L.A. never went annex-crazy. The city has always been large area-wise.

It has an absolutely ginormous land area, but is less dense than the average DC, Philly, NY, or certainly Boston suburb.

Hmmm. Let's see. West Hollywood, which is an independent city surrounded by Los Angeles and Beverly Hills, is the densest city west of the Mississippi. Further, Los Angeles itself is just below D.C. itself in density and ahead of Seattle, Detroit, Cleveland, Baltimore, St. Louis, Houston, Atlanta, among others.

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 69):

Irvine Spectrum

That's a fun place. Also 'The Block' in Orange and Fashion Island are similar. The Block has a very cool 'Dave & Busters' and also has one of my favourite places to eat - Cafe Tu Tu Tango.

Wow, no wonder you don't like L.A. You look stuck on chains and big box centers.

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 78):

I don't know about you, but I was talking about Los Angeles city...

So was I.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

IFEMaster

Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:55 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 80):
Wow, no wonder you don't like L.A. You look stuck on chains and big box centers.

Well...no...I don't like LA because its a shit hole, basically.

As for chains and big box centers, of course there are NONE of those in LA, right?  sarcastic 

Actually, I will give LA one credit. The rotating cocktail lounge at the top of the Bonaventure tower downtown is quite cool.

D L X

Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:08 pm

Excuse me. L.A. is one of the best cities at actually integrating its population

You're excused.

I absolutely stand by 100% of what I said here. LA is extremely segregated. Blacks live near Blacks, Asians live near Asians (and their subgroups tend to hang out with their subgroups), Iranians live near Iranians, etc. It's a total joke to say that LA is integrated. I am sorry if that offends you, because you clearly take pride in your home town, but it is fact. LA practically invented the modern race riot.

Further, Los Angeles itself is just below D.C. itself in density and ahead of Seattle, Detroit, Cleveland, Baltimore, St. Louis, Houston, Atlanta, among others

??

None of those cities are NY, Philly, or Boston.

Hmmm. Let's see. West Hollywood, which is an independent city surrounded by Los Angeles and Beverly Hills, is the densest city west of the Mississippi.

Again, ??

How does that prove anything to make LA better? (And, frankly, I'm not impressed by any area that calls itself a city with less than 2 square miles. That's 10% the size of Rock Creek Park.)

Are you actually denying that LA is a sprawling place? There's a reason everyone has to get around by car you know.

L.A. never went annex-crazy. The city has always been large area-wise.

From wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_angeles

Quote:
In 1915, Los Angeles began the annexation of dozens of neighboring communities without water supplies of their own.

Quote:
The city is divided into many neighborhoods, many of which were towns that were annexed by the growing city.

Quote:
As the city does not have officially named districts, most areas and neighborhoods are known either by the names given by tract developers when first developed, or by the names of principal neighborhood streets, or by the names of the formerly independent communities that were annexed by the city.

[Edited 2007-10-12 12:13:37]

N1120A

Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:23 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 81):

As for chains and big box centers, of course there are NONE of those in LA, right?

They exist, but definitely do not control the market like in Orange County.

Quoting D L X (Reply 82):
LA practically invented the modern race riot.

The city has a lot more political activity than other cities, not to mention having higher profile racial problems, as opposed to the chronic ones that go on in the rest of the country.

None of those cities are NY, Philly, or Boston.

But they are other major cities that appeared on that list.

There's a reason everyone has to get around by car you know.

Yeah, because an excellent public transit system was ripped apart and not replaced properly.

From wikipedia

Try a better source

D L X

Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:08 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 83):
The city has a lot more political activity than other cities, not to mention having higher profile racial problems, as opposed to the chronic ones that go on in the rest of the country.

How does that support your argument that LA is integrated?

But they are other major cities that appeared on that list.

How does that support your argument that LA is not sparser than the three cities I mentioned?

Yeah, because an excellent public transit system was ripped apart and not replaced properly.

How does that support your argument that LA is not sprawling?

Try a better source

Refute mine. Mine has subcites.

travelin man

Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:49 pm

The best thing about living in (and loving) LA is that I don't give a $hit about what people who don't live here think.

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 81):
Well...no...I don't like LA because its a shit hole, basically.

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 69):
The Block has a very cool 'Dave & Busters'

L f-ing O f-ing L.

Anyone who thinks Dave & Busters is "cool" has zero credibility. Maybe even a credibility factor below zero.

(and before you say I'm an LA snob or something, I grew up in Laguna and now live in LA, so I know all the places you're talking about).

N1120A

Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:55 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 84):

Refute mine. Mine has subcites.

Further, the Wikipedia article includes no subcites regarding annexation.

How does that support your argument that LA is not sprawling?

I never said L.A. is not sprawling. It is.

How does that support your argument that LA is not sparser than the three cities I mentioned?

It is less dense, though large parts of the city are far more dense than those numbers, as the city includes areas that are very sparse. Further, I was comparing it to the other cities that made the list that MSYTristar originally posted.

How does that support your argument that LA is integrated?

It doesn't. It covers your arguments about race riots being indicative of that issue. Anyway, while ethnic groups cluster together in every city, they do also mix. In one 4 unit building, there is my Greek friend and her Arab neighbor upstairs and a Japanese woman and their gay, WASP landlord downstairs. Across the street is a black family and surrounding the place are a Mexican and an Israeli family. Integrated.

IFEMaster

Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:58 pm

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 85):
The best thing about living in (and loving) LA is that I don't give a $hit about what people who don't live here think.

Except that I did live there.

Anyone who thinks Dave & Busters is "cool" has zero credibility. Maybe even a credibility factor below zero.

And because someone has different taste to you removes credibility. Nice rationale.

(and before you say I'm an LA snob or something, I grew up in Laguna and now live in LA, so I know all the places you're talking about).

I lived in LA and moved to Laguna Beach. Never regretted it.

If that's the BEST things about LA, then you've just supported all the arguments of all those who dislike the city of Los Angeles.

travelin man

Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:06 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 87):
If that's the BEST things about LA, then you've just supported all the arguments of all those who dislike the city of Los Angeles.

Actually the best thing is that the people who hate it don't live here and I don't have to listen to their whining about traffic, sprawl, crowds, smog, blah blah blah.

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 87):
And because someone has different taste to you removes credibility. Nice rationale.

No, it just says a lot about what your taste is -- suburban, safe, antiseptic, with neighborhoods of identical stucco boxes with red tile roofs called tract homes as far as the eye can see. And maybe throw in a few "big box" stores to spice things up. See? It's easy to cast aspersions on an entire geographical area! Of course, I'd probably be nicer than calling a whole area a "$hithole".

Again, I grew up in Orange County. I know all about it. Laguna Beach and San Clemente are some of its only saving graces.

IFEMaster

Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:12 pm

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 88):
It's easy to cast aspersions on an entire geographical area! Of course, I'd probably be nicer than calling a whole area a "$hithole".

This is true, except that we're not talking about Los Angeles County, we are talking about the city of Los Angeles. There are many places in LA County that are...quite nice...but the city of Los Angeles isn't one of them.

However there are people on this planet that like 'safe' and 'suburban'.

PS - my roof is a sort of dark greyish/blueish colour.

travelin man

Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:19 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 89):
This is true, except that we're not talking about Los Angeles County, we are talking about the city of Los Angeles.

So you are including Westwood, Brentwood, Bel-Air, Los Feliz, Sherman Oaks, Hollywood, the Hollywood Hills, Silver Lake, Downtown, Miracle Mile, Beverly Center, Toluca Lake, Studio City, etc etc? Because ALL of those places are in the city of Los Angeles! So if you are ascribing the term $hithole to those, I'd be interested to understand your criteria. They are some of the nicest or most interesting places around.

PS - my roof is a sort of dark greyish/blueish colour.

LOL, and my roof is actually red tile. But it's on a vintage Spanish style home built in the 1920s so I get a pass.

IFEMaster

Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:20 pm

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 90):
They are some of the nicest or most interesting places around.

I'll take Bel-Air and perhaps Sherman Oaks, but the rest you can have. Seriously man...Hollywood? Hollywood's nasty!!!!

travelin man

Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:31 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 91):
Hollywood? Hollywood's nasty!!!!

It's quickly redeveloping, especially along Hollywood Blvd and Sunset Blvd. Note, I said "nicest OR most interesting".

And nasty = Santa Ana.

Anyway, whatever. You obviously have your opinion based on an entirely different set of criteria than mine, but for there are a lot of us who live here and love it (and are not insane).

IFEMaster

Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:33 pm

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 92):
nasty = Santa Ana

Couldn't agree more. It's up there with La Habra.

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 92):
You obviously have your opinion based on an entirely different set of criteria than mine

And wouldn't life be boring if everyone agreed on everything?  Smile

N1120A

Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:55 pm

This is true, except that we're not talking about Los Angeles County, we are talking about the city of Los Angeles. There are many places in LA County that are...quite nice...but the city of Los Angeles isn't one of them.

We are talking about the City of Los Angeles.

Quoting Travelin man (Reply 90):

So you are including Westwood, Brentwood, Bel-Air, Los Feliz, Sherman Oaks, Hollywood, the Hollywood Hills, Silver Lake, Downtown, Miracle Mile, Beverly Center, Toluca Lake, Studio City, etc etc? Because ALL of those places are in the city of Los Angeles! So if you are ascribing the term $hithole to those, I'd be interested to understand your criteria. They are some of the nicest or most interesting places around.

Lets add Century City, Los Filez, Carthay, Tarzana, Bunker Hill (part of Downtown), Hancock Park (the original Beverly Hills), Brookside, Marina Del Rey, Playa Del Rey, Angeleno Heights, Mt. Washington, West Adams...

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 91):
Hollywood? Hollywood's nasty!!!!

Hollywood is great, especially in the hills.

huskyaviation

Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:47 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 94):
Hollywood is great, especially in the hills.

I hear the mudslides, earthquakes, and neighborhood-ravaging wildfires are quite lovely this time of year!  Wink

I much prefer DC to anything LA has to offer.

MAH4546

Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:15 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 41):

Miami may have South Beach, but New Orleans has the French Quarter, Warehouse District, Magazine Street, and Uptown. Sorry man....N.O is the better town for nightlife when all is said and done.

Miami isn't just South Beach...it has Park West (24-hour liquor license district), Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, the Design District, etc., etc. And it isn't about what clubs you can go to, it's about where you can go. Stores are open until 11PM-Midnight on weekends, dinner time is typically 11PM-1AM, you can catch a movie at 12.30AM (something you can't do in Chicago, which I always found very annoying), etc., etc.

I've lived in Miami, Chicago, NYC, Athens, and now Los Angeles, and no city can beat Miami on nightlife, outside of Athens.

I'm not saying that Miami should be on the list, which is a dime a dozen and more like a charity case for New Orleans than anything else, but Miami's nightlife is not confined to South Beach. You can even find it in the suburbs.
a.

Tom in NO

Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:58 am

This list being a charity case for New Orleans...what a load of $hit. I would think a poll of 60,000 wouldn't be blown off so quickly by some, unless there's some other ax being grinded.

Tom at MSY (on the CrackBerry)

N1120A

Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:17 am

Quoting HuskyAviation (Reply 95):

I hear the mudslides, earthquakes, and neighborhood-ravaging wildfires are quite lovely this time of year!

Unlike the freezing rain, tropical storms and blizzards in D.C.?  Wink

Quoting HuskyAviation (Reply 95):

I much prefer DC to anything LA has to offer.

Funny, since L.A. has so much more to offer.

LAXspotter

Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:41 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 98):
Funny, since L.A. has so much more to offer.

DC IMO has a better Museum scene, much more historical significance, but LA has a lot of recreational activities and a wide array of places to go to.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson