Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MSYtristar
Topic Author

RE: America's Favorite Cities '07

Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:19 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 96):
I'm not saying that Miami should be on the list, which is a dime a dozen and more like a charity case for New Orleans

I hardly ever disagree with you, but that statement is just plain wrong. I'm surprised you said that, actually.

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 96):
and no city can beat Miami on nightlife, outside of Athens.

I guess you haven't spent a lot of time in new Orleans then. Because all in all, New Orleans beats Miami in nightlife. That's not a knock against Miami, it's just how it is.

huskyaviation

Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:47 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 98):
Unlike the freezing rain, tropical storms and blizzards in D.C.?

Yet after those events, my house is more than likely still standing!  Big grin Tropical storms don't strike this far inland all that often anyhow. And I would love to have a damn blizzard here, it's been since President's Day '03 since we had one.

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 99):
but LA has a lot of recreational activities and a wide array of places to go to.

What recreational activities does LA have that any other major coastal metropolitan area doesn't have?

D L X

Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:11 pm

I love how this conversation has turned into a thread about Los Angeles. A city filled with people that can't stand not being the center of attention.  Wink

D L X

Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:18 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 83):
Quoting D L X (Reply 82):

From wikipedia

Try a better source

Perhaps you'd be more persuaded by the Library of Congress:

Quote:
Los Angeles comprised just over twenty-eight square miles when it was incorporated in 1850. Today, through annexation and consolidation, the city is 465 square miles in area.

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/lamapped/lamapped-exhibit.html

FlySSC

Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:18 pm

MY top 5 cities in the US :

thumbsup  New York

thumbsup  Boston

thumbsup  San Francisco

thumbsup  Chicago

thumbsup  Seattle

MY 5 worst ... :

thumbsdown  Los Angeles

thumbsdown  Houston

thumbsdown  Detroit

thumbsdown  Miami

thumbsdown  Dallas

waterpolodan

Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:12 am

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 104):
Miami

Wow!

The 2 worst cities in the world-
Beirut & Paris.

Silly

FlySSC

Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:40 am

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 105):
The 2 worst cities in the world-
Beirut & Paris.

Wait until you've been there !  yes   Big grin

Acheron

Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:11 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 54):
The fakest people you'll ever meet are in Miami.

Never been to Miami(or to the US for that matter) but I know people who live there or go in a regular basis, and you are sooo right. Seem to be a bunch of show-off's.

md90fan

Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:51 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Thread starter):

Diversity

1. New York

2. San Francisco

3. New Orleans

WTF?!

Quoting DC10extender (Reply 28):
Culturally diverse? Anyone not Latino is in the minority in LA.

Kidding right? Tell that to the large numbers of Filipino, Persian, Ethiopian, Belizean, Armenians, Japanese, Koreans, etc here.

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 51):
Downtown Miami Sucks? I

Well, it's getting better, the world's 2nd largest construction boom is occurring in Miami:

http://www.bryansereny.com/miami-luxury-condos/downtown-miami-9-07.jpg

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 61):
how's the surrounding areas? like Anaheim and OC?

Pallid and in need of culture, identity, etc.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 80):
I also grew up in a Los Angeles suburb, surrounded by strawberries, raspberries, celery, onions, lemons, oranges, grapefruit and every other kind of fruit and vegetable you can think of.

Camarillo?

[Edited 2007-10-13 21:14:52]
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

Superfly

Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:49 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 9):
used to live there, unfortunately. I now live in south Orange County, but my work takes me in to Los Angeles on a regular basis, and I go to concerts there at least a couple of times a month.

I agree with you that Los Angeles is a dump but Orange County is no different.
Orange County is a suburb of Los Angeles and there ain't a dimes worth of difference between Los Angeles city proper and any random city in Orange County. It's the SAME CESSPOOL!
The Los Angeles county/Orange county line is invisible and there ain't no difference on either side.
Orange County is Los Angeles with more Republicans. That is the ONLY difference.

My favorite big US Cities are:
San Francisco
Chicago
Honolulu

New York is OK but not my speed. Too fast paced and too conservative. I was mildly impressed with Washington D.C.
It is not the violent hell-hole some make it out to be.

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 3):
Because Los Angeles is a cesspit of a place. If the USA were an ass, Los Angeles would be second biggest carbuncle on it, right next to Detroit.

I am no fan of Los Angeles but it is hardly the worse city in the US.
I'll take Los Angeles and Detroit any day over Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, Houston, Cincinnati, San Antonio, Charlotte or Salt Lake City.
Bring back the Concorde

LAXspotter

Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:02 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 109):
New York is OK but not my speed. Too fast paced and too conservative

Too conservative? damn

My favorite big US Cities are:
San Francisco

why am I not surprised.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

flymia

Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:24 am

I will say that sure New Orleans seems like a cool place to have fun. But really how great of a city can it be at least right now after what happened to that city.
When any of these cities have the nice warm Atlantic ocean than we can talk.  Smile
http://www.threebestbeaches.com/florida/uploaded_images/southbeach07-761343.jpg

But Miami is much more than just South Beach as others have explained.

'll take Los Angeles and Detroit any day over Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, Houston, Cincinnati, San Antonio, Charlotte or Salt Lake City.

LA fine alot of people like LA. But Detroit???? First who calls San Antonio, Cincinnati, Charlotte or SALT Lake City real cities? And take Detroit over Miami!?? Or Dallas and Houston? Have you ever been to Detroit.
As a friend once said to me. "Detroit is where people go once they stop giving out free vacations to Iraq."  duck 
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

D L X

Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:50 pm

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 111):
First who calls San Antonio, Cincinnati, Charlotte or SALT Lake City real cities?

People who have been to those places. I'm assuming you haven't?

Do you realize that all of those cities have enough social life to support in some cases multiple pro sports teams?

IFEMaster

Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:18 pm

Orange County is a suburb of Los Angeles

No it isn't. It's a suburb of Orange. Hence it being 'Orange County', not 'Los Angeles County'. It's as much a suburb of Los Angeles as it is a suburb of San Diego.

there ain't a dimes worth of difference between Los Angeles city proper and any random city in Orange County. It's the SAME CESSPOOL!

Entirely wrong. North OC, I would agree with. South OC, completely different.

Orange County is Los Angeles with more Republicans. That is the ONLY difference.

Riiiiiiight.  sarcastic 
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

D L X

Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:44 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 113):
Orange County is a suburb of Los Angeles

No it isn't. It's a suburb of Orange.

So.... by this logic, Fairfax County isn't a suburb of Washington, but rather Fairfax, VA?

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:39 pm

But really how great of a city can it be at least right now after what happened to that city.

You would be surprised. But, I guess you'd have to see it for yourself. Just because MIA has a beach doesn't mean it's better. MSY has more interesting neighborhoods, a much better music scene, a non-pretensious atmosphere, and it's easier to get around. Oh, friendlier people, too. You can't beat the French Quarter, Fauburg Marigny, Bywater, Warehouse District, Garden District, Uptown, and Magazine Street. It's just a more historic and culturally interesting city that MIA. MIA has MSY beat in the clubbins scene, but that's pretty much it as far as nightlife goes. I've been to MIA a few times. Not a bad place. But it's not the nightlife capital of the U.S.

flymia

Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:09 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 112):
People who have been to those places. I'm assuming you haven't?

Do you realize that all of those cities have enough social life to support in some cases multiple pro sports teams?

Thats great, but I said 'real" cities. I under stand that there are alot of people in those places but compared to many other parts of the world and other US cities those places are nothing.
NYC, DC, Boston, Miami, Seattle,San Francisco, LA, Chicago those are real cities.

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 115):

I agree with much of your statement. MSY does have alot more history as it is a much older city. Miami was Incorporated in 1896, and now look it is the 5th largest metro area in the country and one of the younger ones too. I never been to New Orleans and would like to visit some time. I am sure it is a great place to have fun thats why alot of people go. I am just more used to the night club scene and I am not a big live music fan. But I still dont think New Orleans is more diverse than Miami and the Atlantic Ocean and its Beaches sure are great.

But it's not the nightlife capital of the U.S.

Every city has its own thing that is best at. I guess overall most people would say NYC is the night life capital of the US others will say LA and others will say Miami I dont know many people that would put New Orleans or for that matter Austin in there I am sure some will but not the majority. I am sure New Orleans is great but on a national and especially world wide scale Miami is in the top three for night of the US with NYC and LA.

Just because MIA has a beach doesn't mean it's better

I know that I am just saying having a warm beach year round is a nice thing to have.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Matt D

Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:36 pm

I think the point Superfly was trying to make is that, except for the political boundaries, there is very little (if any) separating the two areas; it is one continuous 'suburb' (if you will) the entire way along the 405, 5, 605, and 57 corridors with absolutely no break in it whatsoever. The same can be said going east/west between LA/OC and San Bernardino/Riverside. It's just literally one strip mall, industrial park, and subdivision one after another and another. Unless you are either on the beach or on top of a hill or mountian, you cannot see the horizon ANYWHERE. Period. The only thing holding back growth to the north is the San Gabriel montains. To the west, the Pacific Ocean. To the South, Camp Pendleton (the only line of demarcation between LA/OC and San Diego. And finally, to the east, unless current trends stop, I still believe that San Bernardino/Palm Springs and the Phoenix area will meet up within 20 years-making it possible to drive the entire way and never leave civilization. But as it is, the Inland Empire region of SoCal extends all the way to Indio-which is what? 80 miles from the Arizona Border?

Having lived in SoCal for pretty much all of my 34 years on this world, I do have to echo many of the negative sentiments posted above. The problem is that none of that takes into account different tastes; what's heaven to you is anathema to someone else. And yes, despite all of the negatives, LA does have a few bright spots away from the traditional 'mold'. For instance: Claremont comes to mind. That is a town that could've been carved up from just about anywhere in the Northeast and dropped in: Several colleges, narrow quiet streets lined on both sides with huge, overhanging oak trees and lots of charming 19th/early 20th century houses. And did I mention downtown Claremont? Just east of Bonita/Indian Hill, one of the nicest "Main-Street USA" type areas I've seen.

Same thing with the Circle At Orange-where Chapman and Glassell meet via a roundabout. Despite being in the heart of Orange County, that tiny half or so square mile, you will not find a single Starbucks, McDonalds, or Wal-Mart. Everything is 'local' only: lots of specialty shops and restaurants (you MUST try the Citrus City Grille). When I first took my (very conservative) father down there, he interpreted it as a very 'snooty college' area. To which I replied, "no...it's not snooty. The lack of corporate chains here mean that the independant mom-and-pop shops still stand for something.

But I digress, taking into account the fact that everyone has their personal tastes, let me just try and spell them out about LA. You are welcome to agree or disagree, but this is how I see it:

Yes, we do have nice weather. If you are a 12 month outdoorsdy type and like the idea of being able to wear tank tops and sandals year round, yeah, you will definitely like it here. We do get the June gloom during the summer months, but it almost always burns off by lunchtime. On the other hand if you are like me and actually enjoy the 4 seasons, you will be disappointed. There isn't but maybe 20 degrees difference between January and July. LA doesn't have much in the way of greenery (besides the artificial parks). So forget about seeing 'fall colors' foliage and bare trees in fall and winter. Likewise, this is no place to enjoy a cozy evening by the fire while it snows outside. Most of the rest of the country has a 'white' Christmas. Here, you can cruise the freeways with the top down.

I think our beaches are highly overrated. Maybe that's just because I was spoiled by the white sands of Montego Bay, Jamaica, but go to any of our 'famous' beaches such as Newport and Huntington and all I see are crowds, drunk and rowdy college kids, women containing more plastic than a Honda Civic, and lots of used syringes and baby diapers. But again, maybe some of you enjoy that setting. If so, then yes, you will like the beaches. OTOH, if you want a place to relax and take in a nice sunset and listen to the enchantment of the surf, forget it. You are in the wrong place.

if you are a sucker for Mexican food, you will love it. With that comes a lot of Mexican population. That means doing something absurdly simple-such as ordering a Jumbo Jack from Jack-In-The-Box will almost always mean you have to almost spell out your order, letter by letter. Or else give it in Spanish. Ditto for pretty much any other culture: you want Chinese? Take a drive down Colima Road in Rowland Heights or along New Ave in Alhambra. Like Armenian? Brand Blvd in Glendale will be the ticket. Like Indian? Look no further than Pioneer Blvd in Cerritos.

If "safe" and "familiar" branding and surrounding -such as TGIFridays, Applebees, and Red Lobster are your thing, as well as row upon row of tightly spaced houses that all look essentially alike,then yes. Pretty much anywhere in Orange County-especially South County, or the Santa Clarita Valley (Newhall, Saugus, Castaic, etc.) will definitely be to your liking.

As for shopping? That's kind of hard to quantify. What are you looking for? Is it something that can't be found online or at any local merchant? Or is just the location itself part of the experience (for instance, buying a whiskey flask from a kiosk for $20...cash...no receipt... from a Middle Easterner who barely speaks English what you are looking for)?

SoCal is crowded. Very crowded. Freeway traffic jams-even without an accident-are pretty much the norm literally around the clock (yes, the 10 can be and often is bumper to bumper at 2AM). Ditto for pretty much any of the major 'side' streets. If you love being in the thick of people, SoCal will be heaven to you. If you want elbow room, forget it. Only place you gonna get that is at home or in your hotel room. Really. EVERYTHING is a wait. Even the bathrooms at Burger King.

SoCal women: Someone above said that unless you are a movie director, have a "pimped out" ride, or are worth at least 7 figures, they won't even talk to you. For the most part, that's 100% true. I'm just an Average Joe here. Getting women to even give you a phone number or show up on time was quite a challenge. Yet many times, just 250 miles to the north in Fresno, my biggest problem with the (for most part equally attractive) women was choosing the one I was going to 'take' for the night. This 100% totally and unambiguously validated the shallowness of our SoCal culture. It was DEFINITELY not me.

Hollywood and vicinity: Never took someone there and they didn't say "that's IT"?

Yup. Sunset Blvd, Santa Monica Blvd, and even Melrose. Except for a handful of blocks here and there, were and are dirty, narrow, hopelessly gridlocked, and definitely looked like they came straight out of Brooklyn: Lots of graffitti, homeless, and every one of the shops had roll-up steel doors. Sure there are some points of genuine interest-such as the House of Blues or Amoeba records. But a good night club and retail establishment does not a city make. Again, depending on the sort of nightlife you are interested, SoCal has it all....from the glam of $50 cover charges and $10 X 2 drink minimums where a suit is required...all the way down to more 'homely' sawdust bars that have two tables, a dozen stools, a dartboard, and a jukebox......where sandals are acceptable attire, we have it all. You just have to know where to find it. SoCal's sheer size and layout can make that a challenge.

Again, let me reiterate, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you LIKE that sort of world, then yes. It will be your thing. I LIKED visiting New York City all of the times I have over the years. Chinatown and Greenwhich Village are great for an afternoon/evening of walking and browsing all the shops and sampling some of the local cuisine (which in LA as in NYC, is very hit-or-miss on quality). But I sure as hell wouldn't want to live there. I guess part of my enjoyment was knowing that an 'escape' was available.

Housing prices:

Simply out of touch with reality. But that's a whole other topic. But let me say this: sunshine and 80 degrees is NOT justification for hyper-inflation, even though the prevailing numbers might lead you to believe to the contrary. Unless you have a six figure job and/or have at least as much in the bank, forget it. Even a run-down, 40 year old, 1200 sq. ft fixxer upper in Santa Ana or Pico Rivera STARTS at four and a half. That's as in four-hundred-fifty thousand. The skies the limit from there.

Sorry to ramble on. I believe my points are clear.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MD-Went to Pinnacle Peak last night.

[Edited 2007-10-14 11:08:47]

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:42 pm

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 116):
know that I am just saying having a warm beach year round is a nice thing to have.

Oh I know. And if I lived there, you better believe I would take advantage of it.  

Anyway, we could go back and forth all day with this and we wouldn't get anywhere. We're both proud of cities, and rightfully so. At least the U.S has cities like MSY and MIA. It could be worse, we could be in Canada.

[Edited 2007-10-14 10:51:05]

vikkyvik

Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:48 pm

No it isn't. It's a suburb of Orange. Hence it being 'Orange County', not 'Los Angeles County'. It's as much a suburb of Los Angeles as it is a suburb of San Diego.

I dunno about that. First of all, when referring to the "greater LA area", people often mean the 5 county area (LA, Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside, and Ventura).

Secondly, there are cities in Orange County with over twice the population of Orange (Anaheim and Santa Ana both have 300,000+).

Thirdly, the county seat of Orange county is in Santa Ana, not Orange.

There is a continuous metropolis extending from southern Ventura County in the north, all the way to southern Orange County in the south. There is then a large break (between SJC and Oceanside, approximately, where Camp Pendleton is), before northern San Diego County begins.

Lastly, for example, much of suburban Boston is in Middlesex, Norfolk, Plymouth, and Essex Counties, while the city of Boston itself is in Suffolk County.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

D L X

Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:58 pm

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 116):
NYC, DC, Boston, Miami, Seattle,San Francisco, LA, Chicago those are real cities.

I agree with that list except for the inclusion of LA, but your declaration that places like Cincy aren't "real cities" is more proof positive of the fakeness and self-aggrandizing of Miamians. You've clearly never been there, nor can you imagine lowering yourself to visit.

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 119):
Secondly, there are cities in Orange County with over twice the population of Orange (Anaheim and Santa Ana both have 300,000+).

Wait, hold on for one moment. Anaheim is in Orange County? And a team called "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" plays there, right? But Orange County, which includes Anaheim, isn't a suburb of Los Angeles? Does not compute.

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 119):
Lastly, for example, much of suburban Boston is in Middlesex, Norfolk, Plymouth, and Essex Counties, while the city of Boston itself is in Suffolk County.

Alot of the urban part of the Boston area isn't within the city limits (or county limits) of Boston either. That's the difference between Boston and "cities" like Los Angeles - Boston never went annex crazy like LA did.

Matt D

Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:01 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 120):
Wait, hold on for one moment. Anaheim is in Orange County? And a team called "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" plays there, right? But Orange County, which includes Anaheim, isn't a suburb of Los Angeles? Does not compute.

Correct.

------------------------------------------------------
MD-HAL: Good morning Dave

vikkyvik

Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:04 pm

Wait, hold on for one moment. Anaheim is in Orange County? And a team called "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" plays there, right?

Haha, yes, Anaheim is in Orange County.....

Alot of the urban part of the Boston area isn't within the city limits (or county limits) of Boston either. That's the difference between Boston and "cities" like Los Angeles - Boston never went annex crazy like LA did.

I know that - I was just providing it as an example that the name of the county doesn't necessarily have any bearing on which metro area a city is in.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

LH423

Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:16 pm

Quoting Matt D (Reply 117):
For instance: Claremont comes to mind

Isn't that were a lot of movies are filmed since it has a decidedly California feel but at the same time could be Anywhere, USA?

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 118):
It could be worse, we could be in Canada.

mad  Hey! No, that's kinda true. But, there are still some pretty cool and unique places in Canada. Halifax, Québec City, Montréal, Vancouver. All very unique in their own right. So, don't completely discount Canada, though I would say that there are more cities in the US that hold a unique identity than in Canada.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:26 pm

Quoting LH423 (Reply 123):
So, don't completely discount Canada

I've been to YUL and it was beautiful. And I've heard great things about YVR.

flymia

Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:27 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 118):
Anyway, we could go back and forth all day with this and we wouldn't get anywhere. We're both proud of cities, and rightfully so. At least the U.S has cities like MSY and MIA. It could be worse, we could be in Canada.

bigthumbsup  Very true.
But Canda does have Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal and Halifax all great places  Smile

I agree with that list except for the inclusion of LA, but your declaration that places like Cincy aren't "real cities" is more proof positive of the fakeness and self-aggrandizing of Miamians. You've clearly never been there, nor can you imagine lowering yourself to visit.

Well I have connected in CVG before but thats Kentucky close enough.  Wink
But your right I have not been to places like San Antonio or Cincy and I probably wont be visiting those places in the near future. And I am still not going to call them real cities since the phrase "real city" to me means London, Paris, Sydney, Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, Buenos Aires, NYC, DC, San Fran, and Miami would be near the end of the list. Now these are some very real cities which I have visited or lived in. And Cincy compared to those cities is nothing.
But I am sure Cincy has some positive aspects to it too. I am not saying Cincy is a bad place to live I am just saying its not a real city compared to world standards.

Tom in NO

Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:35 pm

Great post, Matt.....growing up in Claremont I don't think I really took it to heart what kind of a place it was/is. I did the career path thing which took me away from SoCal, then did the marriage thing, which, unless my kids go to college in SoCal (they both love SoCal, so anything's possible), will keep us from moving back that way (the wife's from northeast Louisiana).

Still though, we love to visit the old homestead, and it's great to see Claremont being noted for what it is.....a great place to raise a family, to attend college, etc. And great to see that Money magazine deemed Claremont the fifth best place in the US to live.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Superfly

Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:28 pm

No it isn't. It's a suburb of Orange

redflag 
B.S.
You are part of the Greater Los Anegeles metro area rather you like it or not.
L.A./Orange county is the same damn thing.

LA does have a few bright spots away from the traditional 'mold'. For instance: Claremont comes to mind.

checkmark 
...and Pasadena.

Your post about Los Angeles was 100% spot on. It's not the worst place in the country but doesn't have nearly as much one would expect in the 2nd. largest city in the country.
Bring back the Concorde

D L X

Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:59 pm

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 122):
I know that - I was just providing it as an example that the name of the county doesn't necessarily have any bearing on which metro area a city is in.

Yes, and I'm agreeing with you. That whole Orange County argument is nuts.

Tom in NO

Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:09 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 127):
LA does have a few bright spots away from the traditional 'mold'. For instance: Claremont comes to mind.

...and Pasadena.

Born in Pasadena, raised in Claremont.....and living in New Orleans. Who'da thunk it?!

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

N1120A

Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:43 pm

That isn't why it is called Orange County. It is called Orange County because they grew lots of oranges there. Further, county limits don't demarcate suburban boundaries, influence does. I mean, most of Orange County is FAR closer to Los Angeles than place within Los Angeles County like Palmdale and Lancaster.

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 110):

Too conservative?

I think he means in a behavioral sense.

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 108):

Camarillo?

Yes

Quoting D L X (Reply 103):

Perhaps you'd be more persuaded by the Library of Congress:

Not really. The area developed from small, unincorporated communities, that eventually joined up with Los Angeles as they began to need municipal services.

Quoting HuskyAviation (Reply 101):

What recreational activities does LA have that any other major coastal metropolitan area doesn't have?

Skiing is one. Two distinctly different deserts another. Further, the ethnic diversity allows for a greater degree of cultural activities outside of the traditional museum setting, and the proximity to the film industry means the best access to visual media.

That's the difference between Boston and "cities" like Los Angeles - Boston never went annex crazy like LA did

See above. Boston and the municipalities around it were established before Los Angeles itself was, let alone the little villages that eventually made the city what it is.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

LH423

Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:16 pm

hat's the difference between Boston and "cities" like Los Angeles - Boston never went annex crazy like LA did.

Actually, Boston annexed several communities around it. The original city of Boston was extremely small. It was only through reclaiming land and annexation that it grew. Roxbury, Dorchester, West Roxbury, Brighton, amongst others were all annexed by the city in the late 18th century. Brookline resisted being annexed, hence it's not surrounded by the city of Boston on three sides.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

D L X

Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:48 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 130):
Not really. The area developed from small, unincorporated communities, that eventually joined up with Los Angeles as they began to need municipal services.

Well, if you're not willing to listen to the Library of Congress, I can only guess you're not willing to listen to me on this either. Fact is, LA went annex crazy. LOC even says so ("through annexation and consolidation"), and what you said is equivalent, but you're not willing to use the term. Just admit it: LA went annex crazy!

Quoting LH423 (Reply 131):
Actually, Boston annexed several communities around it.

I'm not saying that Boston or other cities didn't annex. I'm saying that LA went nuts with it (28 sqmi to 480 sqmi), and that's why LA is hardly a city.

MAH4546

Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:31 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 100):
I guess you haven't spent a lot of time in new Orleans then. Because all in all, New Orleans beats Miami in nightlife. That's not a knock against Miami, it's just how it is.

I was basing that on cities I've lived in, but, having visited New Orleans many times, I disagree. I'm not impressed by New Orleans' nightlife, which I find very boring, but it's very different from Miami's.

How "good" a nightlife is is a simple matter of opinion, but how much there is to do is a matter of fact, and at 2AM you are going to find a whole lot more going on in Miami than New Orleans. That's just how it is.

There is this huge false assumption that Miami's nightlife revolves around South Beach and nightclubs. To tourists, sure. To locals? No, it doesn't. Far from it. Locals pretty much avoid South Beach outside of Lincoln Road and a handful of traditional bars on Washington Avenue. Locals go to Park West, Coral Gables, the Design District, and dozens of other areas that visitors have no idea exist.

Miami's whole culture is heavily influence by South America. South Americans have a tendency to stay up late, shop late, and eat late. Hence you can show up to Dolphin Mall, just west of the airport in a predominantly South American area, at 10PM, a time by which most malls would be closed, and shop, catch a movie, and eat dinner. Store hours, restaurant hours, and the ridiculous amount of "late night" places reflects that. You can't name very many cities in the U.S. - the world even - where you can walk into a store not named Wal-Mart after 11PM. When people visit me in Miami and I show them around, one remark I always get is how it's so unusual that you shop at The Gap at 10.30PM, and that traditional dinner time on a weekend is close to midnight, or that clubs don't really pack it until 1AM. Not many U.S. cities embody that "late night" culture that Miami does. In fact, in my opinion, no other U.S. city does.

[Edited 2007-10-15 16:42:54]
a.

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:46 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 133):
and at 2AM you are going to find a whole lot more going on in Miami than New Orleans.

Sorry man. That is just incorrect. New Orleans has just as many (if not more) late night activities as Miami does. I've been to Miami, as well. Stayed at the Sagamore on South Beach in fact twice. And when asking the concierge about late night activities, he always said South Beach. Not once did he mention any other areas. I'm not doubting that there aren't other areas, but tourists know South Beach mostly like you said. And that's what this poll was about mostly. Vistors perceptions. And the fact is New Orleans has more areas than just the French Quarter which sees its share of visitors.

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 133):
I'm not impressed by New Orleans' nightlife, which I find very boring, but it's very different from Miami's.

Like I said, Miami has the huge lead in the clubbing scene . New Orleans has a far superior allotment of local music clubs and bars and a more vibrant late night locals scene.

huskyaviation

Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:03 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 130):
Skiing is one. Two distinctly different deserts another. Further, the ethnic diversity allows for a greater degree of cultural activities outside of the traditional museum setting, and the proximity to the film industry means the best access to visual media.

Well DC has skiing not too far from the city, and I don't need deserts outside the city to make it a good place to live. DC has a lot of ethnic diversity and people of all cultures, outside of museums too. If that's the differences that LA has to offer from other cities, that's pretty weak all things considered.

I find it a bit enlightening that 9 of the 10 weakest housing markets in the US right now are either in California, Arizona, and Florida.

flymia

Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:11 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 134):
New Orleans has just as many (if not more) late night activities as Miami does.

How does a city with a metro pop of 1,319,367 (year 2000) which I am sure is much lower now (New Orleans the city itself lost 53% of its population in 2006 which is now estimated at 223,388.) have more late night activities than a city with a metro population of 5,463,857? (404,048 in the City of Miami) I just cant believe this. I have good friends from all over the country and when I say I have dinner at 11pm and dont really go out till 1am they dont understand the concept. I dont know anybody from New Orleans very well, I know a few who moved to Miami after Katrina though but I never asked them how the night life was there etc.. Maybe I should get in contact with them because I just cant believe New Orleans has more areas of night life than Miami does and stays up as late as Miami. But they wont know much anyway since we are talking about Post Katrina Night life. If New Orleans is as good as you say it is now. It must have been amazing before Hurricane Katrina hit?

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 134):
Stayed at the Sagamore on South Beach in fact twice. And when asking the concierge about late night activities, he always said South Beach. Not once did he mention any other areas

Thats because you where a tourist and thats the area the hotel was near. Hotels have agreements with establishments for their concierge service to sell them etc.. There are alot more people in Miami than New Orleans so Miami has its Local only areas like the Downtown Ware house night club district. An area where most people would be afraid to venture off too even though it is completely safe.

I guess I should google some stuff about New Orleans night life and see what I can find.  Smile

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:08 am

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 136):
Maybe I should get in contact with them because I just cant believe New Orleans has more areas of night life than Miami does and stays up as late as Miami

I wouldn't just make up things to make them up. I lived there for 27+ years. I've been to all the places. And I can tell you from experience that I have been to at least two dozen different bars/clubs outide of the French Quarter and leaving when the sun comes up. Late night partying is a way of life in New Orleans. Katrina did not change that.

Thats because you where a tourist and thats the area the hotel was near.

It's different in New Orleans though. Hotels suggest places outside of the French Quarter to tourists, because most of those places are but a short 5 to 10 min cab ride away. You have a few neighborhoods bordering the French Quarter which are very unique in their own right that you can walk to if you were so inclined. You don't have to cross the causeway to get there.

Again, I am not doubting that Miami doesn't have its fair share of nightlife. I've been to some of the clubs on Collins. But New Orleans, I think, has better overall variety in terms of places which feature a lively late night (as in 3:00am+) scene.

D L X

Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:08 am

How does a city with a metro pop of 1,319,367 (year 2000) which I am sure is much lower now (New Orleans the city itself lost 53% of its population in 2006 which is now estimated at 223,388.) have more late night activities than a city with a metro population of 5,463,857?

Uhh.. maybe the answer is that Miami isn't nearly as awesome as some of its residents think! Maybe the answer is that NOLA packs more punch than Miami. Maybe the answer is that most people in Miami are old transplants that couldn't handle New York anymore, and went south for the winter. Those guys honestly aren't that much fun.

Wink  Wink  Wink
Question: which scares you more? Pit Bull or Great Dane?

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:10 am

How does a city with a metro pop of 1,319,367 (year 2000) which I am sure is much lower now (New Orleans the city itself lost 53% of its population in 2006 which is now estimated at 223,388.) have more late night activities than a city with a metro population of 5,463,857?

I was talking about the city proper...not the metro area. Of course metro dade county has more of everything thanks to the huge population of the area.

waterpolodan

Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:56 am

But really how great of a city can it be at least right now after what happened to that city.

But they wont know much anyway since we are talking about Post Katrina Night life. If New Orleans is as good as you say it is now. It must have been amazing before Hurricane Katrina hit?

I've lived in New Orleans both before and after the storm, and although many of the resedential areas of the city are still in ruins, the nightlife has fully recovered and is just as fun as it was before the storm with nearly all of the same places open with the same hours.

Quoting D L X (Reply 138):
Uhh.. maybe the answer is that Miami isn't nearly as awesome as some of its residents think! Maybe the answer is that NOLA packs more punch than Miami. Maybe the answer is that most people in Miami are old transplants that couldn't handle New York anymore, and went south for the winter. Those guys honestly aren't that much fun.

Most of Miami is transplants from NY? Maybe the tourists, but most of the natives are latin or old school miami types that came from up north decades and decades ago. Not me though, I'm a half-latin born and raised Miami native, and I've lived in New Orleans and Miami simultaneously for the last 4 years so I'm well qualified to judge both cities. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, these are 2 of the most fun cities I have ever visited, and I'm not being biased when I say that. They are just different, though there is no sense in arguing that one has a "later" night life than the other, as I've had just as much fun and could just as easily spend a night out until the sun rises in either city. The atmosphere in Nola is more "relaxed" and friendly than Miami, but that does depend on where you go. South Beach is such a shallow place but it can be fun when you just want to dance with your friends while looking at beautiful people and not talking to them. The grove is my favorite place to go hang out with nice people, and places like Barracuda actually remind me of New Orleans bars, but it does get tiresome that every thursday night I run into about 300 kids from my high school (which is in the grove). Anyway, both cities are great, though ultimately I prefer Miami as a place to live because of its proximity to beaches and the ocean which I grew up sailing on and swimming in and I can't live without it. However, even though we don't have beaches in Nola, we do have the levee by the zoo! It can be just as much fun when you get a good group, some beers, and maybe a football and a bbq. Check out our little version of south beach-

And the real deal  Smile

One final thing about the two cities- If those rankings included attractiveness of women, Miami would blow Nola out of the water, and nothing anyone says will change my opinion about that!

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:16 am

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 140):
Check out our little version of south beach-

GREAT pictures of "The Fly" man. Ah, I miss those days. Voodoo Fest out there in '05 was one of the best days ever!

flymia

Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:39 am

Maybe the answer is that most people in Miami are old transplants that couldn't handle New York anymore, and went south for the winter. Those guys honestly aren't that much fun.

Well that cant be any farther from the truth. 63% of Miami population is Latin while 58% of its population was born outside the united states.

Question: which scares you more? Pit Bull or Great Dane?

Pit Bull  Smile

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 137):
It's different in New Orleans though. Hotels suggest places outside of the French Quarter to tourists, because most of those places are but a short 5 to 10 min cab ride away.

That must be nice. Miami is a little bit more spread out than New Orleans since it is much larger.

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 137):
But New Orleans, I think, has better overall variety

I agree with you on this, New Orleans does have variety over Miami. But Miami also has its relaxed bars and live music. But the only live music you will find is Latin Music unless you go up into Broward County.

I guess New Orleans does have a late night from what others have said. But you have to agree Miami is still more famous for its late nights and night life.

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:16 am

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 142):
But you have to agree Miami is still more famous for its late nights and night life.

Although I can't say that because like I said I grew up in N.O and late nights are just a way of life down there (you know, a matter of perception), I will say that MIA has the best beach scene in the U.S. Besides the restraunts/bars, the water is generally very nice and topless sunbathing is allowed. And if you want to go to a late night club and eat food on a bed, MIA is your place. I must admit that place caught me a little off guard.

D L X

Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:06 pm

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 142):
But you have to agree Miami is still more famous for its late nights and night life.

Do they throw beads in Miami? Do they jazz it down the streets? When people die?!

Come on man, New Orleans has STORIED night life. Give up.

LH423

Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:43 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 144):
Do they throw beads in Miami? Do they jazz it down the streets? When people die?!

Come on man, New Orleans has STORIED night life. Give up.

Having been...9 years since I was last in Miami I can't comment on which city has better nightlife though I will say that internationally-speaking, Miami's nightlife is much better known than New Orleans's. Testament to that is the amount of international visitors that go to Miami every year, many of them strictly for the party life. Beach by day, nightclubs by night.

I think it's time to pack it in boys and girls. The lines have been drawn, the trenches dug and no one is ceding any ground. At the end of the day, does it matter? Look at it on a grander scale. Just be thankful that you have two kick-ass cities like Miami and New Orleans, each with its own identity and flavour, to choose from. Some like apples, some like oranges, doesn't make one better than the other.

LH423

D L X

Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:54 pm

Quoting LH423 (Reply 145):
Testament to that is the amount of international visitors that go to Miami every year, many of them strictly for the party life.

Same for New Orleans, except New Orleans is practically known as a city whose major industry is partying.

Beach by day, nightclubs by night.

And in NOLA, it's nightclubs by day, nightclubs by night.

Some like apples, some like oranges, doesn't make one better than the other.

Well, apparently a lot more people like Bourbon than Mojitoes.  Wink

But to answer FlyMIA's original question, Miami isn't on the diversity list because everyone who isn't white there is latin (except for the smallish Haitian community). It takes more than simply having non-whites to be a diverse place.

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:27 pm

Just be thankful that you have two kick-ass cities like Miami and New Orleans, each with its own identity and flavour, to choose from. Some like apples, some like oranges, doesn't make one better than the other.

Different strokes for different folks when all is said and done, you are correct. Some prefer the Latin-inspired beach scene, some prefer the Jazz-inspired dive bar scene. I just think New Orleans parties harder.  Smile

All of this does not mean I think New Orleans is the greatest city in the U.S, because I don't. But when someone says this list was basically a "charity case for New Orleans", I feel obligated to defend. It has been over two years since Katrina and although there's a long way to go in terms of rebuilding neighborhoods, most of what city was known for throughout the years....great food, music, and nightlife...is back and better than ever.

LH423

Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:29 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 146):
Same for New Orleans, except New Orleans is practically known as a city whose major industry is partying.

No disputing that, but how many of the visitors to New Orleans come from outside North America. No doubt New Orleans has the reputation of being a party city. The original City of Sin. I remembering being there in July 2005 and walking around the French Quarter with distant lightning and some of the abandoned buildings. You just can't recreate the feeling that it's a magical place. However, when international visitors think about the US (especially on party terms) Miami would rank ahead, though New Orleans is DEFINITELY up there. I'd be curious to see how much advertising the New Orleans/Louisiana tourism bureau spends internationally. For sure, New Orleans (and Louisiana in general) has a culture as unique (or even more so) than what's on offer in Miami.

LH423

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:47 pm

Quoting LH423 (Reply 148):
I'd be curious to see how much advertising the New Orleans/Louisiana tourism bureau spends internationally.

While I do not have any post-K stats, historically, some target markets for promoting the city and region have included France (obviously), Germany, and the U.K. I want to say N.O used to see a couple of million international visitors a year...or roughly 1/6 of its total visitors.

New Orleans is pretty popular with Parisians and with people in France in general. In fact, in Lyon, there is a popular nightclub named "New Orleans", complete with a big saxophone on the sign. When I saw it I had to do a double take.

Quoting LH423 (Reply 148):
However, when international visitors think about the US (especially on party terms) Miami would rank ahead

I can see that, partly due to the fact that MIA has a pleathora of direct flights to so many international cities. That helps its cause out quite a bit.