Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

huskyaviation
Topic Author

Drew Carey Debuts On The Price Is Right

Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:48 am

Anyone see it? I put it on DVR just to see how the show would be after Bob Barker. What did you think of him?

AirTranTUS

RE: Drew Carey Debuts On The Price Is Right

Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:55 am

I saw some clips online. Carey is certainly different than Barker. I can't really make a comparison. Carey laughs more and does not talk as slow as Barker.
I love ASO!

copaair737

Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:07 am

Did anyone else notice that everyone won today?

I had class this afternoon, but got up early to watch this today.

All 6 contestants won their pricing games, and each person that won the wheel portion got a dollar and won 1,000 dollars.

The ultimate winner took home like 45,000 in total prizes.

I like Barker better...it's not really the same, but Carey did an alright job. As good of job as you could ask for when following a legend like that.
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

dragon-wings

Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:17 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 2):
All 6 contestants won their pricing games, and each person that won the wheel portion got a dollar and won 1,000 dollars.

Has that ever happened before on the Price is Right? Im sure there has been shows where all 6 contestants won their pricing games, but ever won that spun the wheel getting $1.00?
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

OU812

Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:23 am

Quoting HuskyAviation (Thread starter):
Anyone see it?

Missed it! But took off work to watch Bob Barkers last show. I remember watching the Price is Right in the 70's when I had fake-idice. God I'm getting old!

iflyatldl

Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:17 am

My partner watched it. Juuuussst wasn't the same. They even changed announcer's. He said it was just bleh... He's watched it for almost 30- something years. He wasn't impressed.
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

KFLLCFII

Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:43 am

Quoting Iflyatldl (Reply 5):
They even changed announcer's.

Rod Roddy was succeded by Rich Fields in 2004 after his passing...Do you mean they even changed out Rich Fields??
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

fxramper

Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:34 am

TUNisia

Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:37 am

The enthusiasm just isn't there with Carey as host. Didn't even feel like I was watching TPIR. I still wish Rosie was picked!
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

KFLLCFII

Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:27 am

Quoting FXramper (Reply 7):

Ok, that's still Rich Fields announcing.

Thanks for posting.  thumbsup 
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

LTU932

Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:58 am

I already found TPIR with Bob Barker somewhat bland, after having seen the German version of the Show (Der Preis ist heiß) with the Dutch guy Harry Wijnvoord as the host, but then again Barker has had a long history with TPIR. With Drew Carey it's become even more bland.

At this rate, TPIR will be axed soon.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

huskyaviation
Topic Author

Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:14 pm

I was glad to see the show remain almost exactly the same in format and design (the set was updated--from 1972 to about 1977  Wink). But Drew seemed a little uncomfortable. Hopefully the smoothness will come with time--Barker obviously could do that show in his sleep, you could tell Drew had to think about what he was doing/what to do next/how to explain something. I think it will make it.

N1120A

Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:41 pm

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 2):

I have seen more than one person hit the dollar before. Question is, did either of them hit on the bonus spin?

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 3):

Has that ever happened before on the Price is Right?

I believe so.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 10):

At this rate, TPIR will be axed soon.

I don't know about that. The show is relatively cheap to produce and serves to fill a really odd timeslot.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

AirTranTUS

Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:50 pm

Quoting HuskyAviation (Reply 11):
Barker obviously could do that show in his sleep

Barker obviously did the show in his sleep. Didn't he die about 10 years ago?  Smile
I love ASO!

LTU932

Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:10 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 12):
The show is relatively cheap to produce

That's curious, because the German version of the show was cancelled because of the opposite. The show was cancelled because it became too expensive, even though the ratings were there.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

huskyaviation
Topic Author

Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:16 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 14):
That's curious, because the German version of the show was cancelled because of the opposite. The show was cancelled because it became too expensive, even though the ratings were there.

The show is definitely cheap to produce--they've been doing it for 35+ years now, with a lot of original games, basically the same set, a hugely devoted fan base of college students and retirees, they don't have to do much advertising since it has been in the same time slot for generations...it won't be going anywhere for a while.

N1120A

Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:17 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 14):
The show was cancelled because it became too expensive, even though the ratings were there.

Perhaps the German version was paying for the prizes. TPIR was created during the days when game shows essentially served as entertaining commercials for the products they were giving away. As such, they get the prizes for free or at a substantially reduced price, along with selling ad time for the little products that they use in the pricing games.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ouboy79

Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:46 am

After watching the first week go by, you can tell a HUGE difference between Monday and Friday. On Monday Drew really didn't know what to do for the most part. He was very cautious and I'm sure nervous as hell. How do you replace a man that has been doing it for 35 years? As the week went on he started to settle in and get more comfortable. After a month I would expect him to have it down and accept the show as his own, and not feeling like a stand in for Barker.

I say give him time and don't rush to judgement. You can't expect him to be comfortable with him right away. The viewers will warm up to Drew and things will start to click. The nice thing, he definitely gets excited and enjoys watching people win.

Another thing to remember, these shows were all recorded a couple months ago. He's had to learn to adjust to filming TPIR and Power of 10 right away. Anyone that thinks this will be the end of the show is just kidding themselves. If the franchise is really in trouble, they'll get a new host or Drew will back out because he knows it isn't working.