He's back.

But who's going to listen?  scratchchin 
Living the American Dream

AeroWesty

RE: Imus Is Back

Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:24 pm

Quoting Allstarflyer (Thread starter):
But who's going to listen?

Joe Scarborough was talking about this this morning, on his show which replaced Imus on MSNBC. Apparently, Imus will be looking for another TV deal to simulcast his WABC show on cable TV just like it was on MSNBC.
International Homo of Mystery

STT757

Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:04 pm

WABC is making a big mistake if they are totally dropping Curtis and Cubby, the pair now joined by Warner Wolf have a very strong local following. If Curtis and Cubby are dropped hopefully WFAN or WOR will pick them up, I've been listening to the Boomer and Carlin show but Curtis and Cubby are much more entertaining. WOR would be wise to pick up Curtis and Cubby, move Donna Hanover.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

jfk69

Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:09 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 2):
WABC is making a big mistake if they are totally dropping Curtis and Cubby, the pair now joined by Warner Wolf have a very strong local following. If Curtis and Cubby are dropped hopefully WFAN or WOR will pick them up, I've been listening to the Boomer and Carlin show but Curtis and Cubby are much more entertaining. WOR would be wise to pick up Curtis and Cubby, move Donna Hanover.

Its Kuby........

I don't think they will drop them totally...I feel as if they will move them to the afternoons. I doubt they will get rid of them.

srbmod

Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:17 pm

Imus will have decent ratings the first book (Mainly because folks will tune in to see if he puts his foot in his mouth again), but after that, the rating will drop to more than likely less than what Curtis and Kuby are pulling in the same time slot right now.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 1):
Apparently, Imus will be looking for another TV deal to simulcast his WABC show on cable TV just like it was on MSNBC.

I hear the Who Gives a $%^& Channel is looking into it.....

I wonder if Citadel will syndicate him on some of their other stations across the country? I'm sure the main reason why they even signed him if for the $$$ syndicating his show will bring in.

If I were him, I would have just taken the money CBS Radio gave him and retired to the ranch.

OU812

Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:33 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 4):
Imus will have decent ratings the first book (Mainly because folks will tune in to see if he puts his foot in his mouth again),

I rarely lessened to Imus. But, I must say. Imus didn't put his foot in his mouth! He got F-ed over. He should not have said what he did, of course, which BTW wasn't racial & have heard him say a lot worse things to other people. However, I feel it was a bad move on Imus's part to go on Rev. Al Sharpton's show to apologize for doing nothing other than speaking gangster rapp, since it gave the impression that this was a racial issue. When it was not!

srbmod

Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:12 pm

Quoting OU812 (Reply 5):

I rarely lessened to Imus. But, I must say. Imus didn't put his foot in his mouth! He got F-ed over. He should not have said what he did, of course, which BTW wasn't racial & have heard him say a lot worse things to other people. However, I feel it was a bad move on Imus's part to go on Rev. Al Sharpton's show to apologize for doing nothing other than speaking gangster rapp, since it gave the impression that this was a racial issue. When it was not!

I never said anything about his firing being racial or not. Don't put words or assumptions into my mouth.

So everyone should just start calling black women "nappy-headed hoes" then?

He put his foot in his mouth by saying something that depending on the context in which people take it, could be construed as a racist statement. In this day and age, a white person cannot get away with using any sort of statement that could be construed as racist. Meanwhile, on hip hop stations all over the country, something along those same lines is being said in tracks those stations are playing. In all honesty, both are wrong.

I found it funny that several months earlier, Sharpton was pretty much asking for Imus' head on a pike; now he's supportive of him coming back to radio. Goes to show that Sharpton will pretty much say anything to get publicity.

jetstar

Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:46 am

I have listened to Imus for over 30 years, almost since he has been on the air in New York, he has a huge following, in fact he was number 5 in the ratings in New York, behind the 2 news radio stations, a Hispanic radio station and when Howard Stern was on local radio, but his demographics placed him number 3 behind the news stations.

Almost all his listeners will come back and with his demographics he will get back almost all the advertisers sooner or later. He was a cash cow at WFAN and MSNBC and he will do the same at WABC.

At MSNBC his show was almost tied in the ratings with CNN’s morning news show and now their morning ratings are down the toilet and will drop even less when Imus goes on cable TV. Whichever cable TV show picks up his show will almost overnight become very successful.

WFAN’s morning ratings are also way down and will also drop even lower when Imus returns.

ltbewr

Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:01 am

Part of the problem with Imus for years and then - DUH - surprisingly hit the wall hard was some of his friends around him. His producer, his regular on air associates and some guests he appeared live with all acted like Bevies and Butthead and worse, often saying things that were racist, sexist, offensive, mocking of politicians (especially President Clinton during and after office) in very insensitive ways. Some of his discussions would be very inappropriate in the workplace most of us work in. If his new employers are smart, they will keep out his buddies and have new people around him who will be more adult and responsible in their speech and behavior.

huskyaviation

Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:11 am

Quoting Jetstar (Reply 9):
Almost all his listeners will come back and with his demographics he will get back almost all the advertisers sooner or later. He was a cash cow at WFAN and MSNBC and he will do the same at WABC.

I agree with you--I was a longtime Imus listener and fan. There were definitely some things I objected to, but few people compare to Imus when at his best, talking with newsmakers, politicians, authors, etc. I probably won't be able to pick him up here in DC right away, but there is still hope. I was kind of hoping he would end up on XM or Sirius so I could listen to him in the car on the way to work.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 10):
If his new employers are smart, they will keep out his buddies and have new people around him who will be more adult and responsible in their speech and behavior.

Well, you may not like Bernard or Lou, but his news guy Charles McCord never really participated as much in his off-color segments. Charles is a class act, and I sure hope he comes back with Imus. He's terrific and I enjoy listening to him.

j_hallgren

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:07 am

Quoting JFK69 (Reply 3):
I don't think they will drop them totally...I feel as if they will move them to the afternoons. I doubt they will get rid of them.

There's really nowhere in the afternoon on WABC where a time slot is available...With Rush and Sean and Mark Levin, that covers until 8pm...and those are all highly rated shows...
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

lobster

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:12 am

Personally I never listed to him. But I looked up the transcripts of his show "that one day" and I don't see at all what was racist. Was he being an asshole? Absolutely. But, there was nothing racist he said. He got screwed because JJ and Sharpton went around like chickens with their heads cut off screaming racism to anybody that would listen. And in todays society, if you play the race card, people just shudder and freak out. Hence, he got fired. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton-  Yeah sure

jetstar

Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:05 pm

WABC, like Imus’s former station WFAN formally WNBC is a 50,000 watt clear channel station so you might be able to pick his new station up.

From what the article said it looks like Imus will be syndicated again, probably on some of the same stations that carried his show before. In some cities Imus was very popular and I am sure these stations are ready to broadcast his show again.

Many a morning when I had a 0 six dawn departure from HPN, once we climbed past FL 31, I would tune the ADF to 660 and listen to Imus in my headsets while also talking to ATC. Because 660 is a clear channel 50,000 watt station I was able to listen in for 700 miles or more away from the station.

Quoting HuskyAviation (Reply 9):
Well, you may not like Bernard or Lou, but his news guy Charles McCord never really participated as much in his off-color segments. Charles is a class act, and I sure hope he comes back with Imus. He's terrific and I enjoy listening to him.

Charles McCord stayed on WFAN doing the news until about July 4th, but he has not been on since then. McCord has been with Imus for over 30 years and I am sure once Imus and CBS settled their contract, part of the deal was that McCord would be freed from his contract. McCord made over a million dollars a year and this is a lot of money to pay someone to do the morning news so I can believe the CBS was glad to release McCord from his contract.

OU812

Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:13 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 6):
I never said anything about his firing being racial or not.

I never said you did. However, you did in reply # 6: See below-

He put his foot in his mouth by saying something that depending on the context in which people take it, could be construed as a racist statement. In this day and age, a white person cannot get away with using any sort of statement that could be construed as racist

Don't put words or assumptions into my mouth.

I didn't put words in your mouth. You misunderstood me!

Imus did not call black women "nappy-headed hoes". He called a team that, which BTW consisted of whites, blacks & other minorities! Why do you find it necessary to single blacks in this situation & back such people as Al Sharpton & Jesse Jackson? You are being politically correct here and this is why:

He put his foot in his mouth by saying something that depending on the context in which people take it, could be construed as a racist statement. In this day and age, a white person cannot get away with using any sort of statement that could be construed as racist.

In the above quote what you are saying is: Whites can't say anything negative towards blacks because any such statement would be considered racist. Please note, there is a difference between spewing racial slurs & saying something negative in nature to another human being. Just because a negative comment is aimed at a Black person, doesn't mean it's racist. But, people like Al Sharptn & Jesse Jackson would want you to believe such non-sense. Al & JJ are whores, who prey on people, that in most situations, have done nothing racist or wrong & use political correctness to take advantage of people because people are afraid to stand up for what is right, for fear of being called a racist! As I said before, people like Al Sharpton & JJ only further strain relations between races, the only good that comes out of their racial endeavours lands in their pockets!!! People like Al & JJ should not be let off the hook because they're a minorty! They should be handled & confronted just like everyone else. But, again, so many are afraid to do so!!!

Imus was mean to everyone, that was his nature. He got a bum rapp!

Welcom back Imus!

UH60FtRucker

Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:41 pm

Quoting OU812 (Reply 13):

In the above quote what you are saying is:

Are you dense? Srb is AGREEING with your premise that political correctness has gone too far. You don't have to interpret his own words for him. Anyone reading his posts... except for you... can clearly understand what his point was.

Welcom back Imus!

Speaking of "welcoming back"... how long have you been back from your ban? It was certainly more quiet during that time!

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

NIKV69

Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:05 pm

But who's going to listen?

Many.

Oh come on, you are going to tell me that there is no black radio personality that has ever called a white person something? Come on, Al Sharpton is guilty of it for Christ sake. I am not an Imus fan but he got screwed over. Anyone who petitions for someone to lose their lively hood over something like that is wrong. It's a joke for someone to attack sponsors to get someone fired. Al Sharpton does it, Matha Burke tried it and they are both scum IMO. Give me a break. We are allowed to say what we want in this country. Don't have selective memory.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

OU812

Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:20 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 14):
Are you dense?

I'm not! But, would rather be dense, then rude any day!!!

Srb is AGREEING with your premise that political correctness has gone too far.

Wrong!
That wasn't the issue I had with Srd. It was his politically correct interpretation of the Imus slandering slime job that I took issue with & confronted him on it! I am allowed to do that, right??? We do live a free county!

In 6 reply he was saying it wasn't racial, then in the same reply, he interjected race by saying Imus was guilty of being racist by saying:

In this day and age, a white person cannot get away with using any sort of statement that could be construed as racist.

In this day and age, people should be able be color blind! And be able to identify who the true racists are [i.e. Sharpton, Mel Gibson, Richard Bird etc etc]. However, Srh was unable to do that!!!

In none of his replies, did Srb state Imus was innocent of saying racial remarks! None! In fact, [below] Srb convicts Imus of being guilty of what Sharpton & JJ claimed!!! Proving your claim of me not understand Sch is bogus, not to mention completely unfounded!!!

If I were him, I would have just taken the money CBS Radio gave him and retired to the ranch.

Anyone reading his posts... except for you... can clearly understand what his point was.

redflag 
Hypocritical comment!!!

You my friend, are the one who can't comprehend his issue!

UH60FtRucker, was Imus guilty of what Sharpton & JJ claimed? Is he a racist, did he make racist remarks???

deltagator

Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:22 pm

Imus Is Back

He's never been gone from my house. I just piled a couple of shirts and western jackets on my tv and placed a cowboy hat on top of it. It's as if he is always with me and the pile of clothes has just as much to say as he did when he was on air.  Wink
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

co7772wuh

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:09 pm

@Srbmod

I do not agree with the above statement. Imus should not have been fired in the first place. Imus attacks everyone. And is not a racist. He got screwed!

Are you dense? Srb is AGREEING with your premise that political correctness has gone too far. You don't have to interpret his own words for him. Anyone reading his posts... except for you... can clearly understand what his point was.

@UH60FtRucker

OU accurately & civilly articulated his feelings on this matter . Why do you find it necessary to act in such a disappointing way ? I would like to hear your comments on this matter. Minus the uncalled for insults, of course.

checkmark 

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 17):
He's never been gone from my house. I just piled a couple of shirts and western jackets on my tv and placed a cowboy hat on top of it. It's as if he is always with me and the pile of clothes has just as much to say as he did when he was on air.

Can't wait to see him Back in the Saddle!

deltagator

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:13 pm

Quoting CO7772WUH (Reply 18):
Can't wait to see him Back in the Saddle!

Just checking to make sure you realize I was making fun of Imus for being as interesting as a pile of clothes.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

srbmod

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:26 pm

Quoting OU812 (Reply 16):
That wasn't the issue I had with Srd. It was his politically correct interpretation of the Imus slandering slime job that I took issue with & confronted him on it! I am allowed to do that, right??? We do live a free county!

redflag 

I am FAR from being politically correct.

He put his foot in his mouth by saying something that depending on the context in which people take it, could be construed as a racist statement. In this day and age, a white person cannot get away with using any sort of statement that could be construed as racist. Meanwhile, on hip hop stations all over the country, something along those same lines is being said in tracks those stations are playing. In all honesty, both are wrong.

Since when is pointing out a double standard considered to be "being politically correct"? You're grasping at straws.

I found it funny that several months earlier, Sharpton was pretty much asking for Imus' head on a pike; now he's supportive of him coming back to radio. Goes to show that Sharpton will pretty much say anything to get publicity.

That's not a politically correct statement either.

I never said anything about his firing being racial or not.

I never said you did. However, you did in reply # 6: See below-

He put his foot in his mouth by saying something that depending on the context in which people take it, could be construed as a racist statement. In this day and age, a white person cannot get away with using any sort of statement that could be construed as racist

Reread what I wrote:

I said "that depending on the context in which people take it, could be construed as a racist statement." I never said that I thought it was a racist statement. I said that some people could have construed it as a racist statement. Once again, you're grasping at straws, especially since your usual tactic got your earlier post deleted. I was also addressing the racial double standard that there is in the broadcast radio industry.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 15):
Oh come on, you are going to tell me that there is no black radio personality that has ever called a white person something? Come on, Al Sharpton is guilty of it for Christ sake. I am not an Imus fan but he got screwed over. Anyone who petitions for someone to lose their lively hood over something like that is wrong. It's a joke for someone to attack sponsors to get someone fired. Al Sharpton does it, Matha Burke tried it and they are both scum IMO. Give me a break. We are allowed to say what we want in this country. Don't have selective memory.

Unfortunately, folks like Sharpton and Jackson can pretty much call folks anything they want and not suffer any backlash against them. Folks seem to have forgotten about the NYPD cop whose career Sharpton and his lies killed; people seem to have forgotten about Jackson's infamous "Hymietown" comment in 1984.

Unfortunately, he's apparently got an ax to grind with me because of previous moderator actions taken towards him by me. Even if I made it even more clear that my p.o.v. agrees with his, he'd still try to find something to criticize.

davestanKSAN

Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:15 pm

Quoting OU812 (Reply 21):
did he make racist remarks???

Sure he did, and if you don't think so, you obviously don't know the history of the term "nappy headed." Google it, pretend Clinton said it  Wink  silly 

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

UH60FtRucker

Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:26 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 20):
Unfortunately, he's apparently got an ax to grind with me because of previous moderator actions taken towards him by me. Even if I made it even more clear that my p.o.v. agrees with his, he'd still try to find something to criticize.

That's what I figured.

He's not worth debating with. It's like talking to a bag of bricks.

Quoting CO7772WUH (Reply 18):
@UH60FtRucker

Same goes for you. You and OU812 tag team together, while never listening to other people's arguments and spewing absurd remarks. Loons. No wonder the two of you frequently visit the cooler.  Yeah sure

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

deltagator

Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:56 pm

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 22):
Quoting OU812 (Reply 21):
did he make racist remarks???

Sure he did, and if you don't think so, you obviously don't know the history of the term "nappy headed."

His remarks were stupid and perhaps bigoted but not racist. Had he said that he as a white guy was genetically superior to the black girls from Rutgers because he had nice hair versus their nappy hair then it would have been a racist statement.

Yet another case of the term racism being defined wrongly by both sides in this thread.

NIKV69

Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:06 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 20):
Unfortunately, folks like Sharpton and Jackson can pretty much call folks anything they want and not suffer any backlash against them. Folks seem to have forgotten about the NYPD cop whose career Sharpton and his lies killed; people seem to have forgotten about Jackson's infamous "Hymietown" comment in 1984.

No, we haven'r forgotten anything. What about his "diamond merchant" comment. Why in the name of all that is holy does he get a pass on these inflammatory comments? It's BS.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

co7772wuh

Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:40 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 2):
WABC is making a big mistake if they are totally dropping Curtis and Cubby, the pair now joined by Warner Wolf have a very strong local following.

Concur,
I find the Curtis and Kuby show to be most entertaining. At first, I was not fond of Kuby. But, as time went on, it became obvious the 2 made a good pair. As STT757 mentioned, they are now accompanied by Warner Wolf, who jells well with them. Curious to see where they will put Imus.

L-188

Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:58 am

Quoting OU812 (Reply 5):
But, I must say. Imus didn't put his foot in his mouth! He got F-ed over.

Agreed, he got caught up in the perfect firestorm, with Al Sharpton throwing lighter fluid on it.

In this day and age, a white person cannot get away with using any sort of statement that could be construed as racist. Meanwhile, on hip hop stations all over the country, something along those same lines is being said in tracks those stations are playing. In all honesty, both are wrong

And that is the double standard that is pissing a lot of people off.

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 21):
Sure he did, and if you don't think so, you obviously don't know the history of the term "nappy headed."

Any definition of that term other then then morning pillow hair is incorrect.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

davestanKSAN

Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:17 am

Quoting OU812 (Reply 23):
I disagree with you regarding Imus saying racist remarks.

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 24):
His remarks were stupid and perhaps bigoted but not racist

Quoting L-188 (Reply 27):
Any definition of that term other then then morning pillow hair is incorrect.

Wrong, wrong, and wronger. The term "nappy headed" is a racist term, look up the history behind the term please. I'm not making this up. Google is your friend.

Quoting OU812 (Reply 23):
Regarding your insinuation that I am being a hack. Your cute, yet baseless, remark does not hold water since Imus is a Democrat who voted for John Kerry. Yet, I am sticking up for him diligently! Proving my consistency, while proving your comment is without merit!!! Nice try!

Dude, it was a tongue in cheek remark, don't get all worked up over it.

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

deltagator

Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:21 am

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 27):
Wrong, wrong, and wronger. The term "nappy headed" is a racist term, look up the history behind the term please. I'm not making this up. Google is your friend.

I understand the history of the term. It is a derogatory comment about the kinky and not straight hair of African folks. It is not a racist term but is bigoted and mean spirited. How does Imus saying they were nappy headed in any way, shape, or form make him claim he is genetically superior to them? Here's a hint...it doesn't.

It was a bigoted remark pure and simple but not racist.

airtran737

Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:39 pm

Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

co7772wuh

Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:09 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 28):
It was a bigoted remark pure and simple but not racist.

@DeltaGator

Do you feel Imus's firing was justified?

davestanKSAN

Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:16 pm

I understand the history of the term.

Obviously you don't if you don't think it's racist.

How does Imus saying they were nappy headed in any way, shape, or form make him claim he is genetically superior to them? Here's a hint...it doesn't.

I got a better hint for you....you're wrong. It was a term used by white slave owners used to describe their black slaves. White slave owners thought they were genetically superior to their black slaves, and "nappy headed" was used to describe them, hence it being racist.  Smile

Dave

deltagator

Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:51 pm

Quoting CO7772WUH (Reply 30):
@DeltaGator

Do you feel Imus's firing was justified?

It's an interesting question and I'm not sure what my opinion is about it. I believe in the First Amendment and that even means protecting the speech I detest. Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say anything you want without retribution.

Think of The Dixie Chicks with what Natalie Mains said. She is free to say whatever she wants just as the radio stations that play their music and the fans that listen to it are free to stop playing or buying their stuff. I may not have agreed with her comments, where she made them, or how she went about it but that was her right to say what was on her mind. Where she lost me was crying about how people were saying how evil and horrible she was for her comments. That's the dark side of free speech that people don't always remember is there.

Same goes for Imus. I think Imus got a little more crap than was probably warranted given his statement. But he still made the comment, it was seized on by Jacksonand Sharpton, and the fallout happened. I personally think a decent apology about how he said something stupid and that he was sorry that he didn't think before he spoke would have been plenty. Advertisers leaving and his initial suspension should have been enough.

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 31):
I got a better hint for you....you're wrong. It was a term used by white slave owners used to describe their black slaves. White slave owners thought they were genetically superior to their black slaves, and "nappy headed" was used to describe them, hence it being racist.

I suppose we'll agree to disagree. I see what you are saying but I truly believe the term is an insult and derogatory term only. While it has been used by racist folks (the slaveowners you reference) in the past and I'm sure today I stick by my opinion that it in no way, shape, or form says that the person being called that is genetically inferior to the person using the term in today's world. Just because a term is used by a racist person doesn't mean it is a racist term.

Imus may be some old school jackass and maybe he doesn't even like black folks. I don't know and I really don't care. But at the end of the day I doubt the idea of him be genetically superior to the Rutgers girls when he made that comment ever went through his head. He made a stupid comment for sure but it isn't like he sat there spewing hatred like the Grand Poobah Lizard of the KKK and going on about how white is great and black is whatever.

At the end of the day It is not a term I would use other than to describe the condition of my hair when I wake up in the morning. I surely wouldn't be dumb enough to use it in public given the hypersensitivity of everyone these days regardless of how I meant to use the term. Those girls from Rutgers very well may have had nappy hair (although the ones I saw had straight hair) but I'm sure as Hell not going to say they do as I wouldn't expect them to call me some "fair haired honkey."