57AZ
Topic Author

Public Radio-Who Listens To It?

Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:12 pm

Who here is a regular listener to public radio? Is your local station a National Public Radio or Public Radio International affiliate? How did you get started listening to public radio?

Tucson's local station is KUAZ 89.1 FM-National Public Radio affiliate although they do provide some Public Radio International programs. Back in high school, my dad would drop me off on his way to work. We would listen in to WUTC 88.1 FM (Chattanooga, TN)-another NPR affiliate as they came on the air each morning with Morning Edition. Now all of my radios are left tuned to KUAZ.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

bristolflyer

RE: Public Radio-Who Listens To It?

Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:25 pm

Count me in. KJAZZ in Phoenix. Good new stuff during the week, and great entertainment at the weekends - Car Talk, Wait wait Don't Tell Me, Prairie Home Companion - love em all.

No adverts either - another bonus.
Fortune favours the brave

LAXspotter

Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:27 pm

Quoting BristolFlyer (Reply 1):
No adverts either - another bonus.

KUSC in LA area. Classical music station, which has been doing a fund drive last couple of days. I love public radio, no damn adverts.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

halls120

Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:49 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 2):
Quoting BristolFlyer (Reply 1):No adverts either - another bonus.
KUSC in LA area. Classical music station, which has been doing a fund drive last couple of days. I love public radio, no damn adverts.

While I wake up to WAMU in the DC area, after I leave the house, it's all XM for me.  Smile
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Tom12

Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:54 pm

Radio 1 with Chris Moyles, first thing every morning. He's so funny.

Love public Radio.

Thom
"Per noctem volamus" - Royal Air Force Bomber Squadron IX

Tugger

Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:17 am

Count me in to the list to. The only comprehensive radio programming out there. Some people say they have a bias but in truth I hear more complete and unedited views from people of all persuasion and perspectives on public radio (and TV) than anywhere else.

Tug
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

mbmbos

Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:22 am

I listen to NPR on WBUR every morning while I wake up. On weekends I listen to "This American Life" and "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me". I also tune in to "Car Talk" as often as possible.

I love public radio and I support it with my $$$.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

N1120A

Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:41 am

Quoting 57AZ (Thread starter):
Who here is a regular listener to public radio?

Count me in.

Is your local station a National Public Radio or Public Radio International affiliate?

Here in L.A., there are several public radio stations. They include Pacifica's KPFK, which makes Air America look like a Republican convention, Santa Monica College's KCRW and Pasadena City College's KPCC.

KCRW and KPCC have been rivals for years, as they emerged in similar ways but have different philosophies. KPCC is a strictly news station while KCRW is famous for its musical programming, while also broadcasting news and magazines from NPR and PRI. KCRW is the more famous of the two and has an amazingly broad reach through a network of low power stations that run throughout southern and central California. I am an avid KCRW listener and generally catch "Morning Becomes Eclectic" every weekday, and listen to the various NPR programs on my way home.

How did you get started listening to public radio?

Well, I had lots of friends who listened to KCRW when I was in college and got turned on that way. I actually was a bigger Pacifica fan until it started being mostly 9/11 conspiracy talk. I do still love Amy Goodman's Democracy Now!
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

halls120

Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:06 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 7):
I actually was a bigger Pacifica fan

LOL, now there's something that's no surprise.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

N1120A

Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:40 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 8):

LOL, now there's something that's no surprise.

Silly I actually did phones for their fund drive about 5 years ago. These days, however, the quality has gone way down at KPFK, with the exception of Goodman and sometimes Global Village. Also, KCRW is the best source for accurate, truly unbiased news, so I like that.

searpqx

Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:42 am

Count me in, I've gotten addicted to KUOW's 7A news. Its brief but crams 50% more actual information in than any of the FM stations, and I don't have to listen to inane morning DJ chatter.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

MKEdude

Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:15 am

Every morning I have about a half-hour commute and I always have WUWM 89.7 on. Often times I take stories I hear on Morning Edition and use them as current events conversation starters in my class.

Garrison Keillor has his moments, and Car Talk can always make me laugh!
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

Mir

Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:28 am

I listen to WMFE pretty much all the time in the car when going to and from school.

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 6):
"Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me"

Good show.

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 6):
I also tune in to "Car Talk" as often as possible.

I love Cah Tahk, but unfortunately I'm generally in flight when it's on, and can only catch the end of it. Still, the credits are always worthwhile.  Smile

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

57AZ
Topic Author

Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:30 am

I listen to the various daily programs whenever possible. "Car Talk" "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me", "Whaddaya Know" with Michael Feldman, "Justice Talking" and "Prairie Home Companion" are definitely my favorites though I also like "Piano Jazz", "This American Life" and many of their smaller series that periodically show up as sidebars in the larger programs.

One of my favorites was back several years ago, at the end of the last century. I think the series was called "Sounds of Our Century" and the sounds aired were submitted by the radio audience. Some of them were well known, but many were not. All in all, it was very interesting to hear which sounds the listeners thought helped define "our century."

KJZZ is a very fine radio station. Naturally they produce more news items than KUAZ since Phoenix is the state capital.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

Mir

Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:23 am

I forgot to add that "The Story with Dick Gordon" is also a damn good show.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

sccutler

Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:40 am

I listen to KERA here in Dallas, NPR with some selected PRI content, as well.

Here in L.A., there are several public radio stations. They include Pacifica's KPFK, which makes Air America look like a Republican convention, Santa Monica College's KCRW and Pasadena City College's KPCC.

Funny story: when I lived in Houston and worked doing technical stuff, I once installed a satellite data downlink at the transmitter site for KPFT (Pacifica's Houston outlet), and the downlink was used to feed stock quotes in real time to hand-held Quotron display devices to be broadcast on the stations subcarrier. It was somehow ironic that Pacifica, the counter-culture collective answer to radio, was being used as the transmission medium for stock quotes, perhaps the purest form of capitalist expression.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

gunsontheroof

Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:56 am

I listened to KAOS 89.3 in Olympia all the time when I lived there, I'm still trying to establish my broadcast allegiances here in Seattle  Wink. Democracy Now! is my go-to program.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

hawaiian717

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:31 am

I just joined KPBS in San Diego this week. My alarm goes off to and I drive to work with Morning Edition, and depending on exactly when I leave, I usually get some mix of All Things Considered and Marketplace. In addition to those three, I also like Car Talk, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, A Prairie Home Companion, and On the Media, though I only catch them erratically since I don't usually think to turn the radio on when I'm at home on the weekends and don't have any regular schedule for when I'm in the car.

SmithAir747

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:53 am

In my former hometown, Fort Wayne, IN, there are a family of NPR stations. The original one, WBNI, is 89.1 FM and does classical music and the other normal NPR stuff. That's the one I remember Dad and I listening to when he was taking me to school in Fort Wayne back in the early 1990s.

Later on, some more NPR stations spawned off WBNI. There are WBOI and several others in Fort Wayne now. One or two specialize in jazz, not classical, music.

I love both jazz and classical music. My favorite program is Carl Hoss' Adventures in Good Music; its theme is the 2nd movement (Adagio) from Beethoven's Sonata Pathetique. Incidentally, I play that piece so well on the piano now! NPR jazz is also my favorite.

I've also enjoyed Car Talk.

Now, however, I've been transplanted to San Francisco. I'd like to know what NPR stations are there, including jazz. Those of you who are San Franciscans, what NPR stations are there? (I love both the jazz and classical NPR stations.)

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

N1120A

Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:27 am

Quoting SmithAir747 (Reply 18):
Now, however, I've been transplanted to San Francisco. I'd like to know what NPR stations are there, including jazz. Those of you who are San Franciscans, what NPR stations are there? (I love both the jazz and classical NPR stations.)

KQED

eaglekeeper101

Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:41 am

When I visit the states, I will listen to any NPR outlet I can find.

During my time here in England, I've kept my car radio tuned to 5Live or Radio 4.
"The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens." - Bahá'u'lláh

JeffSFO

Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:42 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 19):

KQED

KQED: 88.5 FM
KALW: 91.7 FM
KPFA (Berzerkeley): 94.1 FM

No music, all talk with those, unfortunately. However, KUSF (90.3) is worth checking out for their diverse music collections.

I grew up listening to WNYC in NY and they have a very diverse musical lineup that you can listen to online (up to a 128 kbps stream).

ShyFlyer

Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:06 am

Guess I'm going to be the first person to give the old  thumbsdown  to all* talk radio, NPR included. Nothing puts me to sleep faster.

* = Pal Harvey is cool though.
I lift things up and put them down.

roadrunner165

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:09 am

National Public Radio
Minnesota Public Radio

These are some of my favorites...just to name a few.
This American Life
Wait Wait... Dont Tell Me!
Car Talk
Market Place Money
Talk of The Nation ( <3 Science Friday)

Canadian Broadcasting Corp (on Minnesota Public Radio @ 10pm)
As it Happens

Yea. Im a junkie.

Adam

Superfly

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:24 am

Quoting Tugger (Reply 5):
Count me in to the list to. The only comprehensive radio programming out there. Some people say they have a bias but in truth I hear more complete and unedited views from people of all persuasion and perspectives on public radio (and TV) than anywhere else.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

Very well said.
Count me in as a listener.
88.5 KQED here in San Francisco.
I usually listen to the California Report, Talk Of The Nation, Fresh Aire and on a rare occasion if I am up at 10:00AM on a weekend, I'll listen to Car Talk.

and Pasadena City College's KPCC.

I uesd to live a block away from PCC when I lived in SoCal.

(I love both the jazz and classical NPR stations.)

KCSM 91.1 (The Jazz Oasis)
It's real jazz and not that smooth jazz garbage at the other end of the dial.

For classical;
KDCF 102.1
Bring back the Concorde

NeilYYZ

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:50 am

The only public radio that I can think of that I get is the CBC, however, I can't stand that station. I have an online subscription to Rush, and I have Sirius, that covers my radio experience. If I absolutely need local news I'll throw on the local stations, although I can't remember the last time that happened.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

Superfly

Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:23 pm

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 25):
I can't stand that station. I have an online subscription to Rush, and I have Sirius, that covers my radio experience.

How about 97.9 in Toronto?
Considering Canada's CANCON laws, I thought Rush would be played on most radio stations.
Bring back the Concorde

N1120A

Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:18 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 26):

Considering Canada's CANCON laws, I thought Rush would be played on most radio stations.

rotfl  rotfl 

ferengi80

Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:27 pm

Radio 2 from the British Broadcasting Corporation. A good station, I particularly enjoy Sir Terry Wogan, Ken Bruce, and Chris Evans Drive Time Show.

I don't like the new tag line though -
"BBC Radio 2 - on line, on digital, and on 88-91FM."

Would sound much better with -
"On line, on digital, and on 88-91FM, Radio 2 from the BBC."

Just me being picky I guess, I don't like things to change!!!

Roll on public radio though, a necessary public service!
AF1981 LHR-CDG A380-800 10 July 2010 / AF1980 CDG-LHR A380-800 11 July 2010