MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Bush: Threat Of World War III If Iran Goes Nuclea

Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:31 pm

Bush: Threat of World War III if Iran goes nuclear

By Matt Spetalnick 1 hour, 51 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President George W. Bush warned on Wednesday a nuclear-armed Iran could lead to World War III as he tried to shore up international opposition to Tehran amid Russian skepticism over its nuclear ambitions.

Bush was speaking a day after Russian President Vladimir Putin, who has resisted Western pressure to toughen his stance over Iran's nuclear program, made clear on a visit to Tehran that Russia would not accept any military action against Iran.

At a White House news conference, Bush expressed hope Putin would brief him on his talks in Tehran and said he would ask him to clarify recent remarks on Iran's nuclear activities.

Putin said last week that Russia, which is building Iran's first atomic power plant, would "proceed from the position" that Tehran had no plans to develop nuclear weapons but he shared international concerns that its nuclear programs "should be as transparent as possible."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071017/ts_nm/iran_bush_dc
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

LAXspotter

RE: Bush: Threat Of World War III If Iran Goes Nuclea

Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:37 pm

Damn it, no more Iran/Muslim/Arab Threads, even Im getting tired
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

b752fanatic

Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:40 pm

Mr. Bush reminds me of something, but I think that Fox news is already ahead him in the game with Iran, long ago:

It is on our destiny to have the same song repeated: "The soviets are coming! Saddam is coming!! Iran is coming!!!"
"Truth is more of a stranger than fiction." Mark Twain

letsgetwet

Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:49 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Thread starter):
U.S. President George W. Bush warned on Wednesday a nuclear-armed Iran could lead to World War III

Only if it starts before the next US presidential election.

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:58 pm

The threat of WWIII seems to be coming more from W. Bush than from Iran.

Is W. again doing the same blurb he did with the WMDs in Iraq?
Does he really want to set the whole world on fire?
What are the true motives for him to want to attack Iran?  Angry

2H4

Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:05 pm

Gotta love The Onion...  biggrin 

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

Superfly

Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:19 pm

Bring back the Concorde

aloges

RE: Bush: Threat Of World War III If Iran Goes Nuc

Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:28 pm

Quoting Letsgetwet (Reply 3):
Only if it starts before the next US presidential election.

checkmark  This *beep*  censored  administration doesn't even seem to think about stopping the screw-ups. Iraq didn't work? Divert attention from it and set people on to Iran!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Flighty

Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:45 pm

Why would Iran going nuclear cause any problems?

I would favor just waiting around until somebody actually does something wrong, rather than doing a big thought-crimes witch hunt.

If Iran is so bad, let's see just how bad they are. Let them try something. I doubt they ever will. If they do, they know their fate. As long as we make our retaliation policy public, let them (forgive the phrase) dig their own graves if they really want that. If not, then let's relax and be happy. Let's not invade under the insane pre-emptive war doctrine. That's no different from out and out murder. Pre-emptive war is not just, and never has been.

JGPH1A

Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:57 pm

...and you can just bet that this gormless illiterate moron is just itching to push the button. Yeah, go ahead, destroy the world, asshole - how's that for legacy.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

LAXspotter

Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:15 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 8):
If Iran is so bad, let's see just how bad they are. Let them try something. I doubt they ever will. If they do, they know their fate.

I think youre gonna get flamed for saying that, but I dont believe in preemptive strikes either.

cfalk

Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:41 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 4):
What are the true motives for him to want to attack Iran?

I am very curious about this so don't take this the wrong way.

I think we can take it as a given that Iran is indeed working on nuclear weapons. The number of centrifuges involved,

The fact that you are angry at Bush over this indicates one of two things: 1) You don't mind if Iran has such weapons, or, well, I can't think of any other reason. Can you fill me in?
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Acheron

Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:56 pm

Bush: Threat of World War III if Iran goes nucular

Fixed.  Wink

Matt D

Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:57 pm

I guess no more than the man at Wal-Mart fondling the rifles and asking where the antidepressants can be found.

I would favor just waiting around until somebody actually does something wrong, rather than doing a big thought-crimes witch hunt.

I'm pretty sure I understand where you are coming from here, but when the stakes are this high, I think being PROactive now is a lot more prudent than knee-jerk REactive later on. It's not better by much I suppse. But you know and I know that if we were to do nothing, and Iran gets a hold of some fissionable uranium, figures out how to use it, and creates a smoldering new crater somewhere either along the Med or either coast of the Atlantic, that you'll be the very first one on here screaming "But we should've DONE something to prevent this."

Look, as much as I don't care for Bush and his fellow plutocrats, the fact is sometimes he is in a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situation. So all things being equal, what do YOU think is the lesser of two evils? An Iran that is still living in the 14th century?

Or a few more Hiroshimas. Only this time it could be Tel Aviv, Paris, London, Tokyo, Los Angeles, or all of the above.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MD-Chicken or egg

[Edited 2007-10-17 16:58:44]

cfalk

Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:15 am

In the old days before nukes, I would agree. But I am not ready to accept a nuke going off in Miami or LA (well, maybe not LA) because the US government did not move fast enough.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

TheCol

Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:24 am

Because we couldn't stop them from waging proxy wars against Israel, Afghanistan, Lebanon, etc. with anything less than a nuke.

If Iran is so bad, let's see just how bad they are. Let them try something.

they know their fate.

OK, then what? Do you honestly think that most of the international community would favor waging a nuclear war against Iran? Not a chance. They could do whatever the hell they want, short of actually using their own nukes, without fear of retaliation. It would basically come down to less than a handful of NATO members, let alone the UN.

All that said, I would have to agree. I am in favor of waiting for an official report from the IAEA. If they find reasonable evidence that Iran is pursuing nuclear weapons, then strategic air strikes would be warranted. If the IAEA doesn't think thats the case, then we shouldn't try to repeat the Iraq scenario or anything similar.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

KPDX

Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:27 am

Sometime you cant just "wait around" after a nuclear attack from a normally hostile country.

tootallsd

Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:30 am

Wow, so much racism in this thread!

I think the Israelis are equally dangerous, have nukes and know better than to use them. Ditto the Indians and Pakistanis.

I mean if we wanted to get all nuts over nukes, North Korea is much more of a rogue state than Iran.

We should stop the sabre rattling, I hope to Mr. Bush's God that we would never use the things, and get on with verification, monitoring and non-proliferation.

Oh wait, thats right, we're the USA!

The only country to have used nukes in anger.
The country that is getting ready to build a couple thousand new nukes to replace our ageing stockpile.

Give it a rest, stop hating Arabs because they are different from you. Stop suggesting that Miami can be nuked, presumably because it is loaded with lots of non-whites and Jews.

LAXspotter

Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:32 am

Quoting Tootallsd (Reply 17):

youre gonna get flamed for that, hahah. Well the US is the only country to have the "Right" to carry those weapons, and we talk about non-proliferation yet we have the 2nd largest stockpile in the world.

Springbok747

Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:40 am

I think the Israelis are equally dangerous, have nukes and know better than to use them. Ditto the Indians and Pakistanis.

redflag  Israel and India cannot be compared to Pakistan. India and Israel are far more stable, and far more responsible than Pakistan. They know better than to go around throwing nukes.

Pakistan's nuclear arsenal is very unstable...you never know where its going to end up.

Not this shit again. We've had enough of this.
אני תומך בישראל

ZBBYLW

Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:43 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 18):
Well the US is the only country to have the "Right" to carry those weapons

And you think the guy before you is going to get flamed, I hope you are joking the US doesn't not have any more OR any less right to carry nukes then anyone else. I really do hope you are not being serious.
Keep the shinny side up!

LAXspotter

Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:45 am

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 20):
And you think the guy before you is going to get flamed, I hope you are joking the US doesn't not have any more OR any less right to carry nukes then anyone else. I really do hope you are not being serious.

unless countries have signed the non-proliferation treaty, I dont see why America should be the only one to have it.

RJdxer

Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:47 am

Quoting Acheron (Reply 12):
Bush: Threat of World War III if Iran goes nucular

Feexed.

Fixed  sarcastic 

In case any one noticed, Russia is saying they will not accept any military action against Iran. So it's not war with Iran you have to necessarily worry about, it's war with Russia and that will be more than enough to hold the U.S. back. The problem is, what does Russia say to the world if Iran develops nuclear weapons with the engineering and material provided by the Russians and then uses it agains Israel or a western power?
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

Tom12

Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:27 am

If the US has the second largest stock of Nuclear weapons, who has the first?

Back to the point of Russia, say Bush has another attack of paranoia and does wage war on Iran, will Russia support the Iranians in a war?

Tom
"Per noctem volamus" - Royal Air Force Bomber Squadron IX

halls120

Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:39 am

Quoting TheCol (Reply 15):
All that said, I would have to agree. I am in favor of waiting for an official report from the IAEA.

rotfl  You're kidding, right?

Give it a rest, stop hating Arabs because they are different from you

You really need to stop playing the racism card. This has nothing to do with race. It has everything to do with a country that refuses to play by the international rules regarding the possession of nuclear power and weapons - a country whose current mouthpiece routinely threatens the existing of a sovereign nation.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Acheron

Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:26 am

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 22):
Fixed

Bitter much?.
Get a sense of humour.

LAXspotter

Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:49 am

You know why dont we just bomb the hell out of Iran, get it over with, send some troops and quell any sort of uprising, after all the American armed forces can go up against any force in the world, deliver a embarassing defeat and bring victory, freedom and prosperity to the people Iran. Why not just start bombing Isfahan, Tehran, and Shiraz right now, I'm sure the Iranians are going to be acceptive of us with open arms.

RJdxer

Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:00 am

Quoting Acheron (Reply 25):
Bitter much?.
Get a sense of humour.

listen  Works both ways.

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 24):
a country whose current mouthpiece routinely threatens the existing of a sovereign nation.

And didn't quite get the welcome he bargained for over here.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

b752fanatic

Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:12 am

Well, I am not ready to accept a nuke on Kentucky any other part of our country, but a fact is a fact, the only nation to ever use atomic weapons has been the US and that was against the defeated and already asking for months to surrender Japan. Read: http://www.amazon.com/Decision-Use-A...UTF8&s=books&qid=1192680218&sr=1-2

Perhaps Iran is indeed in the making of a nuclear bomb. But to what use? so that it could bomb Israel or any European Nation so that in a matter of minutes is decimated by us?

The real use of nuclear weapons is: Diplomacy, what you can get for having them or how you can intimidate your enemies with that power. If not ask the North Koreans. We are the experts in that subject, the term "Atomic diplomacy" was introduced by our beloved ex-president Truman who on earnest began the cold war. And so it seems our cardboard "Ceaser" wishes to embark us into another conflict. "WWIII" he says, the balls on him.

LAXspotter

Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:17 am

Quoting B752fanatic (Reply 28):
The real use of nuclear weapons is: Diplomacy, what you can get for having them or how you can intimidate your enemies with that power. If not ask the North Koreans. We are the experts in that subject, the term "Atomic diplomacy" was introduced by our beloved ex-president Truman who on earnest began the cold war. And so it seems our cardboard "Ceaser" wishes to embark us into another conflict. "WWIII" he says, the balls on him.

Have to agree, the possession of Nuclear weapons by Iran levels the playing field in the middle east.

baroque

Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:38 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 1):
Damn it, no more Iran/Muslim/Arab Threads, even Im getting tired

You are not wrong there LAXs

Nor are you wrong in that MC.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 5):
Gotta love The Onion... biggrin

Yes, well, the Onion is a plus in all this rubbish - hard to find a suitable phrase for the War on the Axis of E part 67.

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 26):
I'm sure the Iranians are going to be acceptive of us with open arms.

Good points LAX and there could be air drops of flowers and candies in advance so that a proper welcoming moment could be shown that very night on FOX.

What a crock of ****.

Charles79

Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:07 am

Madame, this is indeed a very worrisome scenario, since right now we are still struggling in the place we pre-emtively invaded over 4 years ago amid similar concerns. I'm a pacifist, and I'm alarmed at any country that develops or possess the nuke, no matter which country we are describing (Iran, Israel, Russia, US). That said, I understand that the nukes are here to stay, and it's a matter of controlling proliferation at this point. I only wish that our Commander would use more diplomacy instead of the usual cowboy attitude. Mr. Bush does not have that much longer in office; perhaps he could spend the time he's got left focusing on other issues, like finding bin Laden, developing a re-construction strategy for Iraq, and proposing solutions for domestic issues (immigration, gun control, health care, etc).

I do not wish to see Iran (or North Korea, or Japan, or anyone else) join the club of nuclear nations, but I doubt that military force is the only available option through which we can achieve the intended goal.

Well the US is the only country to have the "Right" to carry those weapons, and we talk about non-proliferation

This has always been a bit of an irony, how we talk about other countries yet seldom do what we preach, but this is a different topic.

Charles

tootallsd

Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:10 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 26):
You know why dont we just bomb the hell out of Iran, get it over with, send some troops and quell any sort of uprising, after all the American armed forces can go up against any force in the world, deliver a embarassing defeat and bring victory, freedom and prosperity to the people Iran. Why not just start bombing Isfahan, Tehran, and Shiraz right now, I'm sure the Iranians are going to be acceptive of us with open arms.

Perhaps they will greet the troops that are a part of the Coalition of the Willing with the rose petals that the Iraqis failed to spread before the victor's boots.

LAXspotter

Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:25 am

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 31):
This has always been a bit of an irony, how we talk about other countries yet seldom do what we preach, but this is a different topic.

quite ironic, but ofcourse God is on our side, and we're the only sign of righteousness in the world, we have the right to interfere in the matters of others for the advancement of inferior societies.

Quoting Tootallsd (Reply 32):
Coalition of the Willing

Who will it be this time? I bet it will be a huge conglomeration of 30 nations pacific atoll nations.

L410Turbolet

Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:38 am

Ditto the Indians and Pakistanis.

Maybe you should go back to school and freshen up on your education so you don't look like a fool throwing these two into one bag.

NorthstarBoy

Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:50 am

I think Bush may be doing the talking but Cheney is writing the words. If i believe Jerry Corsi, Cheney is chomping at the bit to go to war with Iran, and apparently the shorter Bush's term gets, the more inevitable a war with Iran becomes, Bush is just waiting for an excuse. Apparently they've already drawn up a list of some 1200 air strike targets. Then again, the Bush Doctrine (my words) does state that we have the right to pre-emptively go to war with any country that threatens our interests. We don't have to wait to be attacked under the Bush Doctrine. In this case, the threat is that Iran won't accept our attempt to force the Truman Doctrine down their throats, which doctrine states that the United States of America should be the sole determiner of who can or cannot have a nuclear weapon.

I think right now Iran is doing alot of chest thumping and political posturing, but if one of our satellites detects an underground "seismic event", it'll be "bring on WW III, to hell with the consequences."

On another note, fair is fair, if we demand the Iranians stop developing nuclear weapons, we also have to demand the Israelis dismantle theirs, or we have to stop demanding the Iranians cease their nuclear development, afterall there's nothing wrong with detente, if the israelis have them, so should the Iranians/Arabs, fair's fair. then again, we will stop at nothing to prevent the Israelis from losing their tactical advantage, even if it means starting WW III.

i also can't help but wonder how the military is going to react, if or when we launch a ground offensive to find the Iranians sending children to the front. they did that during the Iran-Iraq war, what's to say they won't do that in a war with the "great satan?" that could be the ultimate P.R. nightmare for the US military, having to shoot and kill children, imagine how that will make us look in the eyes of the rest of the world? it'd be a no win situation.

last but not least, there is the issue with the Russians and Chinese, the latter of which owns about a trillion dollars worth of T-notes, what do you want to bet, if we attack Iran, where they get alot of their oil, that they'll dump enough of those notes on the world market to turn the US economy into the proverbial "smoking hole in the ground." we may get our revenge for Iran defying the "will of the Internationa community (Translate that United States of America) by joining the nuclear club, but the Chinese will have the last laugh.

just my 2 cents
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

Matt D

Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:02 pm

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 35):
I think Bush may be doing the talking but Cheney is writing the words.

Agreed. We all know who's REALLY in charge.

apparently the shorter Bush's term gets, the more inevitable a war with Iran becomes, Bush is just waiting for an excuse.

FWIW, I've seen and read some reports that seem to suggest that there WILL be no General Election next year. As you said, Bush is just waiting for the "right excuse" (read another 9/11 at the behest of Iran) to use as a pretext to declare Martial Law, suspend the Elections, essentially tear up the Constitution (as if he hasn't already), and crown himself dictator indefinitely. Now granted, it's a fringe scenario and there's probably enough people here to thwart such a scenario and carry on with business as usual, but if you look at the big picture and connect the dots (Sept 11, Iraq, Iran, Peak Oil, the housing bubble, the tanking dollar, decimation of the middle class, etc), it's not altogether an implausible scenario.

Just something to chew on.

which doctrine states that the United States of America should be the sole determiner of who can or cannot have a nuclear weapon.

The same one that says at a poker table: "A Smith And Wesson beats four aces!"

On another note, fair is fair, if we demand the Iranians stop developing nuclear weapons, we also have to demand the Israelis dismantle theirs, or we have to stop demanding the Iranians cease their nuclear development

Who said anything is fair in the world of International Politics? In a perfect world, I'd agree with you. But in the real world where pride and self-interest is usually far more important, sorry. 'Playground Fairness where Everybody gets 5 minutes on the swing" just doesn't cut it here.

i also can't help but wonder how the military is going to react, if or when we launch a ground offensive to find the Iranians sending children to the front.

As sad as such a scenario would be, I would like to think that anyone with a brain would be able to see right through that tactic. But it speaks a lot more about THEM than us. Now if that were to happen, would or should our troops go in and mow down a bunch of 6th grade age kids?

That's a big-time moral quandary and a choice I sure as hell wouldn't want to be faced with. especially since I can think of strong arguments both supporting AND opposing such a maneuver. And as has been shown already, pretty much most of the world already hates us (or at least is more than willing to do anything they can to see us fall flat on our face. The US is viewed as a bully. Granted, that observation isn't without merit. And who doesn't want to see the bully 'put in his place') so we really have nothing to lose as far as that goes. To that end, I'd say yes, we should do whatever serves our best interest.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MD-Eye ran till I hit a rock

RJdxer

Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:37 pm

but a fact is a fact, the only nation to ever use atomic weapons has been the US and that was against the defeated and already asking for months to surrender Japan

Was this before or after the battle of Okinawa, you know, the one where they used over 1500 planes in kamikaze attacks against our navy and Japanese women attacked our soldiers with spears? Was this before or after they rejected the Potsdam declaration in July of 1945?

We are the experts in that subject, the term "Atomic diplomacy" was introduced by our beloved ex-president Truman who on earnest began the cold war.

Well as described in the first quote, any leader who dropped an atomic bomb, or any other bomb for that matter, on a country that was begging for peace for months prior to the event would be considered a war criminal in anyone's book. Yet you go on to describe him as beloved. Which is it or are you being sarcastic? You gotta love revisionist history like the author you promote writes. I'm a big fan of Harry Turtledove. Nothing like some great fiction to pass a Saturday afternoon with.

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:41 pm

I am taking this with a pinch of salt, yet it makes for some interesting reading...

DEBKAfile Exclusive: Warning letters delivered to thousands of Jewish families in Iran advise them to leave the country without delay

October 17, 2007, 11:04 PM (GMT+02:00)

The letters, according to DEBKAfile’s Iranian sources, have been posted to Jewish families in Tehran (where the community numbers some 13,000), Isfahan (under 2,000) and Shiraz (some 4,000). They are captioned: Danger! Danger! Danger! and tell recipients to try and reach the West with all possible speed. Iranian Jews like the rest of the population face grave danger from impending events, the anonymous writers warn.

Wednesay, Oct. 17, President George W. Bush spoke of World War Three if Iran which seeks to destroy Israel gains a nuclear bomb. He said those who helped the Islamic Republic would be held responsible, a broad hint at Russia and China.

The Israeli prime minister Ehud Olmert’s sudden trip to Moscow Thursday, Oct. 18, for one day there and back, and the two hours President Vladimir Putin has allotted for their conversation, tie in with these events.

DEBKAfile’s sources report that the meeting was requested by Olmert after he conferred with US secretary of state Condoleezza Rice on the last day of her Middle East shuttle, and with Washington. The prime minister is seeking Putin’s assurance that Russia will not complete construction of Iran’s nuclear reactor at Bushehr or supply the fuel for its activation.

Sources in Washington and Jerusalem decided to strike while the iron is hot, namely straight after Putin’s return from Tehran and before his final commitment to Tehran, in the hope of gaining his personal pledge to leave the reactor unfinished. This would be an important obstacle to Iran’s nuclear plans.

But our sources in Moscow judge these calculations are unrealistic. If Putin did not show his cards to the Iranian leaders in Tehran, they say, there is no chance of him giving Olmert any commitments. The Russian president is playing the world leader to the hilt. He will emphasize to the Israeli prime minister that Moscow has its own interests in the Middle East, just like the US and Israel.

The letters posted to Iranian Jews, our sources report, are not signed; they were postmarked from different towns in America and Europe and from private addresses so as not to raise the suspicions of Iranian security services.

All the same, some were discovered and confiscated, prompting Tehran to accuse Israel and world Zionist organizations of a campaign to scare its Jewish citizens.

In recent months, Iranian officials angrily held up a new Israeli offer of a one-time grant of $10,000 for every Iranian Jew migrating to Israel, over and above the regular grants for other immigrants. Learning of these incentives, the Iranian authorities not long ago ordered the Jewish deputy in the Majlis, Mauris Mo’tamed, to declare that the Jews of Iran cannot be bought for money and would never forsake their country.

http://www.debka.com/

BlueElephant

Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:46 pm

Oil...He wants Oil...and if thats not it....Then its Oil.

Forget about Bush....I think more than 50% of America is against him now...

Lets just get Steven Colbert in Presidency and forget about it.  Wink

b752fanatic

Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:11 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 37):
Was this before or after the battle of Okinawa, you know, the one where they used over 1500 planes in kamikaze attacks against our navy and Japanese women attacked our soldiers with spears? Was this before or after they rejected the Potsdam declaration in July of 1945?

There is no question that the hardcore Japanese fanatic in the military wanted to fight till the end. No question, but the Emperor and the high command was seeking to get out of the conflict, I read the book and its quite interesting to read what the high command of our military thought before the atomic bombed was dropped in Hiroshima. Almost all of our Generals were against it.

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 37):
Well as described in the first quote, any leader who dropped an atomic bomb, or any other bomb for that matter, on a country that was begging for peace for months prior to the event would be considered a war criminal in anyone's book. Yet you go on to describe him as beloved. Which is it or are you being sarcastic? You gotta love revisionist history like the author you promote writes. I'm a big fan of Harry Turtledove. Nothing like some great fiction to pass a Saturday afternoon with.

I recommend you read the book, he cites directly and gives the source. And yes, I am being sarcastic about Truman, I must say that Truman and Wilson along with Nixon are the disgrace of the 20th century in the President department.

Leezyjet

Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:12 pm

I think Lee Harvey Oswald shot the wrong guy !!. He should have waited a few more years !!.

flamed 
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

RJdxer

Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:22 pm

Quoting B752fanatic (Reply 40):
Almost all of our Generals were against it.

??? Almost all of our generals were ignorant of the bomb until it went off. It was one of the most, if not the most closely guarded secret of the war. Those generals that were involved in the making of the bomb were against a demonstration drop over the open water just in case the bomb failed to go off. Little Boy's first test was over the city of Hiroshima. Authors through the centuries have taken great liberties with the truth, it appears that if what you are saying is true, this is just yet another one in the long line.

Again, with Russia backing them up by saying that they will not tolerate any military intervention against Iran, the threat of an invasion or any other military action by the United States is greatly reduced.

b752fanatic

Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:25 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 42):
it appears that if what you are saying is true

It is not me who says it is the author of the book whilst citing many sources, which I must say convinced me very much.

Again, with Russia backing them up by saying that they will not tolerate any military intervention against Iran, the threat of an invasion or any other military action by the United States is greatly reduced.

Indeed, I just hope that knowing that this administration is on its final months, they should try their best not to make Russia again our enemy. Nor begin another cold war. We all should hope that. But judging from the declarations of George, I am still a bit worried.

[Edited 2007-10-18 08:27:04]

jacobin777

Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:54 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 29):

Have to agree, the possession of Nuclear weapons by Iran levels the playing field in the middle east.

.....lets see, GWB calls Iran one of the three "Axis of Evil"...two of the three "Axis of Evil" don't have nuclear capabilities...one is already invaded...a 4000 year old society and civilisation decimated....the neighbor of that country is looking at the barrel of the gun..meanwhile, the country which does have nuclear capabilities has been given the "carrot and stick" treatment..i.e-at least no invasion..

Wouldn't common sense dictate that Iran would be almost idiotic not to develop nuclear capabilities in their best interest?

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 33):
God is on our side

......not only that, GWB does speak to God everyday... Wink

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 38):
Wednesay, Oct. 17, President George W. Bush spoke of World War Three if Iran which seeks to destroy Israel gains a nuclear bomb. He said those who helped the Islamic Republic would be held responsible, a broad hint at Russia and China.

...and what is GWB going to do about it? Nothing...he can't do anything against Russia and China....

checkmark ...I think this visit by Putin amongst other things also sent a strong message to GWB and his cronies...............
"Up the Irons!"

RJdxer

Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:48 pm

Quoting B752fanatic (Reply 43):
they should try their best not to make Russia again our enemy.

Russia is once again, under Putin, on the way to totalitarian state and becoming our enemy once again. They still have a mindset that whatever is good for the United States is bad for them. Witness how they are once again flying military missions near Alaska as they did in the cold war days.

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:26 pm

Aren't Putin and Ahmadinejad about the end of their terms? I think Putin cannot run for President again. I am not sure about the other one.

slider

Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:35 pm

Wow, so much racism in this thread!

I mean if we wanted to get all nuts over nukes, North Korea is much more of a rogue state than Iran.

You do realize that when you play the race card all the time, it eventually loses its significance right? Also, while I'm not the biggest fan of Israel, I don't see them threatening everyone. Lastly, North Korea is perfectly isolated. Rogue state perhaps, but perfectly so. They do anything, they all starve, it's that simple. Besides, there is a much bigger tripwire in that region than there is with Iran.

Not in anger, but as a means to prevent adding to the already 300,000+ U.S. body bags that we accrued in WWII. And dont' forget Japan lost well over one and a half MILLION. Learn your history before spewing ignorant crap.

The country that is getting ready to build a couple thousand new nukes to replace our ageing stockpile.

Damn straight. Peace through strength. Don't ever forget it.

Well, I am not ready to accept a nuke on Kentucky any other part of our country,

Well, Gary, Indiana and El Paso could use some refurbishing, truth be told.  Wink

TheCol

Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:45 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 29):

redflag 

Do me a favor and get your heads out of the sand for one moment, and actually consider what I wrote earlier. I can't believe people can be so ignorant.

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 24):

rotfl You're kidding, right?

No, there are those of us who don't want to have another Iraq on our hands.

Diplomacy, what you can get for having them or how you can intimidate your enemies with that power.

Exactly my point. If Iran develops nukes, they could do pretty much whatever the hell they want without fear of retaliation.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

Mir

Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:01 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 22):
The problem is, what does Russia say to the world if Iran develops nuclear weapons with the engineering and material provided by the Russians and then uses it agains Israel or a western power?

Probably that they never intended for the bomb to be used in that manner and that they can't be held responsible. Also that they still have a large and very effective nuclear arsenal if someone does try to hold them responsible.

In other words, there's really no stopping it.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day