Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CJAContinental
Topic Author

Who Do You Want To Be President In 2008?

Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:51 pm

Well, the post says it all.

It would be interesting to see what fellow a-netters have to say about this, making up the intelligent community that we are.  rotfl   spin .

So, out of the candidates, who do you think would be the best candidate for Washington in 2008, and why?
Just a reminder of the candidates, incase you've forgotten.  Wink

Democrats

1. Hillary Clinton
2. Joe Biden
3. Chris Dodd
4. John Edwards
5. Mike Gravel
6. Dennis Kucinich
7. Barack Obama
8. Bill Richardson

Republicans

1. Rudolph Giuliani
2. Mike Huckabee
3. Duncan Hunter
4. John McCain
5. Ron Paul
6. Mitt Romney
7. Tom Tancredo
8. Fred Thompson

Responses welcome from all a-netters, not just american a-netters.
Work Hard/Fly Right.

RacingGreen07

RE: Who Do You Want To Be President In 2008?

Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:58 pm

Me! I promise to fix airliners.net! That is my pledge!

No seriously, erm I'm not a US citizen so I dont get the option to vote. But I would vote Clinton or Obama...or Giuliani
A dream worth having is a dream worth pursuing- August Horch- Founder of Audi AG

Superfly

Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:04 pm

Falstaff and STLGph.  Cool

From the list above however;
I like all the Democratic candidates and would be happy with anyone if any of them won.
On the Republican side, Ron Paul is the only one I like.
Bring back the Concorde

mbmbos

Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:11 pm

Chris Dodd
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

Dougloid

Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:14 pm

Il ived through eight years of the Clinton administration and I heard a lot of stuff about them when I was at the U of Arkansas law school in Fayetteville in 1996-1997.

No thanks. Eight more years of Web Hubbell, Susan McDougal, Whitewater, Vince Foster, Paula Corbin Jones and hot and cold running bimbos is more than I can tolerate. If you vote for her, that's what you'll get.

I'm working for President Obama.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

LAXspotter

Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:16 pm

Stephen Colbert for Truthiness  Big grin
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

NeilYYZ

Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:17 pm

I'd probably go for Thompson or Giuliani, or likely whatever republican candidate there was on the ballot.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

NIKV69

Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:22 pm

I support Rudy. Fred Thompson is just not it. I mean he needs a little more Social Studies class. Note to self. Russia is not the Soviet Union anymore.
I am the Googlizer!!!

rootsair

Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:29 pm

Everyone in this forum seems to hate Hillary yet she seems to be ahead of all polls in the us...way to go !

airplane  wave 
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

Toast

Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:32 pm

Quoting CJAContinental (Thread starter):
Who Do You Want To Be President In 2008?

Someone else.  Smile

Seriously, neither of the candidates is likely to screw things up more than Dubya, so I'll welcome any of them as President. Although it increasingly looks like Clinton's going to win, I'd prefer Obama or Edwards. Among the Republicans, Giuliani and Romney wouldn't bother me. The other candidates are extremely unlikely to get nominated, and none of them excites me particularly anyway.

I don't really "love" any of the candidates on either side, but I can't say I despise any of them either. Which is already a vast improvement over what I feel toward the incumbent.  mischievous 
Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

cfalk

Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:44 pm

Guliani. Proven leadership ability, experience running large organizations, decisive. I don't agree with all his positions, but I think character counts for more than platform. His character's not spotless either, but his good points outweigh the bad.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

CJAContinental
Topic Author

Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:51 pm

Thanks for the opinions guys!

If I could vote, I'd vote for giuliani, simply because he's proven himself quite well as mayor of New York.

If this thread gets locked, or when it quietens down, I'll count a tally, and we'll see who's most popular on A.net.

[Edited 2007-10-24 14:52:21]
Work Hard/Fly Right.

StarAC17

Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:54 pm

Quoting CJAContinental (Thread starter):

Democrats

1. Hillary Clinton
2. Joe Biden
3. Chris Dodd
4. John Edwards
5. Mike Gravel
6. Dennis Kucinich
7. Barack Obama
8. Bill Richardson
9. Stephen Colbert

Republicans

1. Rudolph Giuliani
2. Mike Huckabee
3. Duncan Hunter
4. John McCain
5. Ron Paul
6. Mitt Romney
7. Tom Tancredo
8. Fred Thompson
9. Stephen Colbert

I made a small correction for you Big grin
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

Superfly

Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:55 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 8):
Everyone in this forum seems to hate Hillary

Not me. I like her but I am not crazy about her either. She will get my vote IF she gets the Democratic nomination.
Bring back the Concorde

Toast

Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:58 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 13):
She will get my vote IF she gets the Democratic nomination.

More like WHEN she gets it.  Wink Lots of game-changing events may happen till then, but right now she has a comfortable lead.

LAXspotter

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:02 pm

Does the GOP have a strong candidate? Guliani isnt popular with most of the Religious right, neither is Romney. They dont offer a very strong candidate.

cfalk

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:06 pm

Quoting Toast (Reply 14):
More like WHEN she gets it. Lots of game-changing events may happen till then, but right now she has a comfortable lead.

No question. She has the Machine behind her. Have you seen how much money she's collecting? Jeeeez...

The only way I can see her losing the nomination (or the presidency, for that matter) is if a really big turd floats up out of her past. Of course we all know those turds are there - will she be able to keep them down? Given her history and a sympathetic press, I'd bet she probably can.

CJAContinental
Topic Author

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:07 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 5):
Stephen Colbert for Truthiness

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 12):
9. Stephen Colbert

I made a small correction for you

I'm starting to think Colbert should be running. I'm not so sure he would win, but I think he'd be very close by next year!
Work Hard/Fly Right.

cfalk

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:12 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 15):
Does the GOP have a strong candidate? Guliani isnt popular with most of the Religious right, neither is Romney. They dont offer a very strong candidate.

It is a cold, hard fact that a far-right GOP candidate like Huckabee will never win against virtually any democratic candidate. The religious right only controls maybe 10-20% of the vote, at the most. Someone who is center-right, like Guliani, can win if he manages to convince the far right to vote for him in the General election. The danger is that they all stay home, which hands the victory to Hillary.

Superfly

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:27 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 16):
She has the Machine behind her. Have you seen how much money she's collecting? Jeeeez...

Yeah I agree. Who does she think she is? Dubya?  duck 

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 18):
It is a cold, hard fact that a far-right GOP candidate like Huckabee will never win against virtually any democratic candidate.

These voters should vote their conscious. I actually like Huckabee as a person and I think he has a lot of character even though I disagree with him on just about everything. Huckabee and Ron Paul are the best of the lot on the Republican side. I consider Rudy and Romney the worst of the lot. They'll say and do just about anything to get votes.
Bring back the Concorde

Toast

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:29 pm

The only way I can see her losing the nomination (or the presidency, for that matter) is if a really big turd floats up out of her past.

Turds don't usually float up by themselves (pre-election buoyancy?) but are dug up by opponents. I find it interesting that no-one as yet has brought up anything of major concern to her. With all the right-wingers who hate her, you'd imagine somebody would be working around the clock to produce some really stinking fecal matter with Clinton's stamp on it. Or maybe they're waiting for a better time to blow the whistle... Too early probably...

This'll be an interesting race, no doubt. The US has rarely been spoiled with a selection of such good (or at least acceptable) candidates.

runway777

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:34 pm

i would vote for Kalli
"kalli, be the best pilot you can be, who happens to be a girl" -Joe White

copaair737

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:42 pm

Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

LAXspotter

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:48 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 19):
I consider Rudy and Romney the worst of the lot. They'll say and do just about anything to get votes.

unfortunately theyre the ones who win, no matter what party.

avek00

Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:06 pm

[Edited 2007-10-24 16:08:12]
Live life to the fullest.

Falcon84

Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:11 pm

I would take Bill Richardson over anyone. He's the most qualified to be President. I would hope that whoever wins the Dem nomination would pick him as #2. Probably won't happen, because he doesn't live in a key state.

Given her history and a sympathetic press, I'd bet she probably can.

Sympathetic press, eh? Go back and read the "sympathetic press" between late 1992 and early 2001, CFalk. Nothing sympathetic back then.

On the Republican side:

-Rudy Giuliani might be the most acceptable candidate on a national scale, but I don't think he'll win the GOP nomination due to his "imperfections", which the religious right will point out: he's been divorced; he's doesn't hate gays; he doesn't hate abourtion; he is open to gun control. Maybe the religious right only controls a minority of the GOP, but they have the most dedicated voting bloc in the party. I can't see Rudy winning.

-Mitt Romney. He seems to "slick" if you'll pardon the historic pun. He comes of as a pretty boy. But he has been a decent governor, and he's backed by the religious right on many issues. His religion, sadly, could be an issue with many voters.

-Ron Paul. Some right ideas, I think, but, like Ross Perot, is the wrong messenger. He's too far out there to get elected.

-John McCain. He's run a horrible campaign. But he's still around. He could now be the "comeback kid", much as Bill Clinton was in 1992. He could be that fall-back candidate if Giuliani, Romney and Thompson aren't running away with the primaries.

-Fred Thompson. He's the darling of the religious right. He's lock-step with Mr. Bush on almost every issue. And while that could win him lots of votes, it will be his downfall in the general election. I can see the ads now: "Do you want ANOTHER George W. Bush in the White House." He's a pretty smart guy, but I don't think he can win a presidential election.

I do wish that Al Gore and Colin Powell would run. Both would shake up the races, which, I think, sorely needs shaking up. Neither are flamboyant, but both are smart, shrewd men, and I think, more than most candidates, would make decent presidents.
Work Right, Fly Hard

b752fanatic

Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:20 pm

Man, I really like Ron Paul, I still can't believe he is running in the Republican side, it just doesn't make any sense! They mock him as if he was crazy. But he is not.
"Truth is more of a stranger than fiction." Mark Twain

cfalk

Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:25 pm

Yeah I agree. Who does she think she is? Dubya?

She's already dwarfed GWB's money-raising. $90 million so far.

Huckabee and Ron Paul are the best of the lot on the Republican side.

Ron Paul is a nut. He thinks that sticking your head in the sand will make bad things go away. It just make a more inviting target for someone to kick you in the ass.

I consider Rudy and Romney the worst of the lot. They'll say and do just about anything to get votes.

As will any of them, except those that can never be elected.

RJdxer

Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:31 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 25):
Sympathetic press, eh? Go back and read the "sympathetic press" between late 1992 and early 2001

Would that include the 60 minute interview before the election in which they got softballed about Gennifer Flowers? Would it also include travel gate in which she had a direct hand in fraudulently charging and firing two long term White House employees who were later totally exonerated? Would that also include the pretty in pink press conference where she claimed that she just had "beginners luck" at cattle futures? Or perhaps those hardball questions she had to answer about finding documents under subpoena on a table in the White House living quarters two years after they were requested? Of course I'm sure it includes her health care plan.

he's doesn't hate gays; he doesn't hate abourtion;

Would you care to share quotes where the other candidates have said they hate either?

I say lets elect Dennis Kucinich so he can do for the United States what he did for Cleveland!
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

Falcon84

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:01 am

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 28):
I say lets elect Dennis Kucinich so he can do for the United States what he did for Cleveland!

Dennis is a "buck-the-system" guy. Always has been. When the city went into default in 1978, it only did so because the banks in Cleveland were so anti-Kucinnich that they were willing to let the city default, simply to ruin one man. Never mind that the mayor before that had increased expenditures by like 30% without raising any revenue to cover it.

He's the same way in Congress. Is he out there a bit? No doubt, but he's respected in this area now by both sides, simply because he does work hard at constituents business. Many Republicans don't like him, but they do respect him. Should he be running for president? No. But, along with Ron Paul, he's probably the only presidential candidate who's willing to be honest with voters about what they want and what they stand for.

I'm not a huge Dennis fan-he's not our representative-but he does his job.
Work Right, Fly Hard

b752fanatic

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:04 am

I consider Rudy and Romney the worst of the lot.

My feelings exact, although I take Romney instead of Rudy, whom I believe is by far a person that all of us should be scared and worried about. If not ask his own family, excluding his present wife.

RJdxer

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:16 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 29):
When the city went into default in 1978, it only did so because the banks in Cleveland were so anti-Kucinnich that they were willing to let the city default, simply to ruin one man.

Arrogance will get you that kind of treatment. When you let your own ideals wreck a major American city, something is not right. He is elected by the same people who agreed with him on Muny light.

Quoting B752fanatic (Reply 30):
whom I believe is by far a person that all of us should be scared and worried about.

Yep, just ask Boskey, Miliken, and the Mafioso that he helped put in prison.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

b752fanatic

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:24 am

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 31):
Yep, just ask Boskey, Miliken, and the Mafioso that he helped put in prison.

I guess we should make president those who sent Capone and Lucky Luciano to prison?

Or I think we should also make president those who took advantage of a national catastrophe to project themselves as a "leader" and future President?

Rudy is the worst of the lot, the worst. Best you elect Pat Roberson or Pat Buchanan, Rudy is worse than GWB, who can be worse than GWB?

Toast

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:33 am

Quoting B752fanatic (Reply 32):
Best you elect Pat Roberson or Pat Buchanan, Rudy is worse than GWB

Whoa!  Wow!

Quoting B752fanatic (Reply 32):
who can be worse than GWB?

This is the cargo bay of candidates worse than GWB:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Rafael Cordero - AeroImagenes de Mexico

I consider Giuliani the best among Republicans, followed by Romney. Too many of Ron Paul's views are too extreme for me.

AGM100

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:34 am

Hillary all the way ! I just want everyone to like us again ... please ? Plus that village thing is pretty cool...

Rudy , I believe he could possibly pick up some middle of the road votes ... And he is not over the top right wing. He is not perfect for sure , but I believe he is smart and knows who our enemies are.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

Falcon84

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:41 am

Arrogance will get you that kind of treatment.

Arrogance runs both ways. The corporations and banks wanted everything their way, and there was a mayor who said "no", so they took it out on the whole city. And you defend that? Uh, OK.

He is elected by the same people who agreed with him on Muny light.

Muny Light started the whole debacle, because big business didn't like cheap power prices from Muny Light, which has saved Clevelanders million over the years. The Banks, in a huff, let the city default. 20 years later, the city THANKED Mr. Kucinich for what he did.

http://www.sunnews.com/news/1998/1217/acmunylight.htm

You see, the banks wanted it sold, so prices could be raised, soaking the people of the city with much higher rates. The mayor refused. And Muny Light, now Cleveland Public Power, still exists, thanks to the Mayor. And, in the long run the city was better off.

So much for that shit, RJ. But, I know, as a Republican to the far right, you'd rather support big business over the citizens of a community, so I see why you hate Dennis so much.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Falcon84

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:43 am

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 34):
Hillary all the way ! I just want everyone to like us again ... please ? Plus that village thing is pretty cool...

Maybe if people liked and respected us more, we could accomplish more in the world, instead of going it a long. You act as if being hated is a good thing.
Work Right, Fly Hard

steeler83

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:44 am

I do NOT want Hillary Clinton in the White House! I just do not trust her! I would like someone like John McCain or Obama to be in there next year, but the odds are against... It likely will be Clinton unfortunately...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

PlymSpotter

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:48 am

To be quite frank I really couldn't give a monkeys... so long as it's not plastered all over the British news 24/7 like it was last time. I don't mind forum topics, I can ignore those, but that's hard to do when it's being rammed down your throat by every TV station in the land.

May the best candidate win... or the one with the least 'pregnant' ballots  duck 

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Falcon84

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:51 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 37):

I'll take Hillary over what we currently have.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Yellowstone

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:56 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 29):
He's the same way in Congress. Is he out there a bit? No doubt, but he's respected in this area now by both sides, simply because he does work hard at constituents business. Many Republicans don't like him, but they do respect him. Should he be running for president? No. But, along with Ron Paul, he's probably the only presidential candidate who's willing to be honest with voters about what they want and what they stand for.

From talking to fellow liberals here at Harvard, I get the sense that a large majority of young Democrats would support Kucinich if they thought he had any chance of winning the general election. Like him or not, his stances are the closest to the core of liberal ideology.

I would hope that whoever wins the Dem nomination would pick him as #2. Probably won't happen, because he doesn't live in a key state.

While New Mexico may not be a key state just by itself, Richardson belongs to two increasingly important Democratic demographics - he's from the Mountain West, and he's Latino. Picking him as a VP candidate would be a very smart move in terms of reaching out to those groups. Especially the Mountain West - they vote for GOP presidential candidates, but they have proven very willing to elect Democratic governors and legislators. Partisanship does not seem to be as much of an issue there as the candidates' individual qualities, making it a potentail gold mine for the right sort of Democratic presidential candidate.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

RJdxer

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:13 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 35):
The corporations and banks wanted everything their way, and there was a mayor who said "no", so they took it out on the whole city. And you defend that? Uh, OK.

Yes, since Kucinich was saying no to a deal the city had already accepted from CEI and that Cleveland Trust bank was helping to finance. CEI went to federal court to get the city to keep it's end of the bargain, since they had already taken 14 million in power from CEI and not paid for it. Kucinich wouldn't even try try to work with them and as a result, the city went into default and the term "mistake on the lake" was cemented in the nations mindset.

thanks to the Mayor. And, in the long run the city was better off.

Yep, cause he got blown out in the next election saving the city from further disgrace. It was 15 years before he was able to get elected to office again.

so I see why you hate Dennis so much.

I don't hate him, I just know that his ideas are worse than worthless.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 39):
I'll take Hillary over what we currently have.

Yep, we don't pay enough taxes and our health care system is not in shambles yet.

b752fanatic

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:18 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 39):

I'll take anything over what we currently have. ANYTHING!!  biting 

JBo

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:28 am

Quoting CJAContinental (Reply 17):
I'm starting to think Colbert should be running. I'm not so sure he would win, but I think he'd be very close by next year!

Colbert is running, however only in South Carolina, and as both a Democrat and Republican. While he's been entirely in-character while "campaigning," it appears so far to be a serious endeavor to get on the ballot in that state.

He would certainly make the debates more interesting. Big grin
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

AGM100

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:35 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 36):
You act as if being hated is a good thing.

Not a good thing at all , but they hate us because they do not agree with us thats it .. does not make our policies wrong .. it just means they disagree . And after traveling the world and seeing the people who hate us ... I understand more. Falcon if you think the Germans and French loved us before Iraq then you are mistaken.

I just dont want a president that makes decision based on keeping or making everyone in the world like us. I still remember the days before Iraq when we were disliked in the world. People forget the flag burning , the Anti US marches in Europe and all the jealously then. Now we have all the people who hated us all along just jumping on the band waggon .
I do not know that Hillary would do that for sure , but the Clinton's do have a record of pole watching.

halls120

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:38 am

Someone honest, bipartisan, and truly interested in governing for the good of the country, not just for his/her corrupt political party.

Yes, I know, Santa Claus isn't real either.

But I can dream, can't I?
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

copaair737

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:42 am

If I'm a Dem, I don't understand why there is a push for Obama or Clinton....neither are electable. It doesn't matter what old white guy the Republicans throw out there, they will defeat the Dems if they run Obama or Clinton.
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

AGM100

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:45 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 45):
Someone honest, bipartisan, and truly interested in governing for the good of the country, not just for his/her corrupt political party.

checkmark 
Someone has got to be able to unite us again at some point ! But I am afraid the divide may be to grand for now. Maybe all out WW3 would do it ,, maybe ... but probably not.

halls120

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:48 am

I just want everyone to like us again ... please ?

I'd rather be respected than liked. Wanting to be "liked" makes you out to be kind of Sally Field-ish, don't you think?

Plus that village thing is pretty cool...

Actually, it's retarded. I raised my own children without the need for assistance from my village, thank you very much.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

CALTECH

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:58 am

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 40):
From talking to fellow liberals here at Harvard, I get the sense that a large majority of young Democrats would support Kucinich if they thought he had any chance of winning the general election. Like him or not, his stances are the closest to the core of liberal ideology.

I couldn't help it, the nail has been hit on the head, bullseye, quite insightful if it's true. Liberals have their own faiths.

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,304922,00.html

"Actress Shirley MacLaine says Democratic presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich saw a UFO while visiting her home in Graham, Washington.

She writes — "Dennis found his encounter extremely moving. The smell of roses drew him out to my balcony where, when he looked up, he saw a gigantic triangular craft, silent, and observing him. It hovered, soundless, for 10 minutes or so, and sped away with a speed he couldn't comprehend. He said he felt a connection in his heart and heard directions in his mind."

So far the Kucinich campaign has not responded to our request for a comment. The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports MacLaine also writes that she advised Kucinich to visit a New Mexico spiritual adviser who had helped her communicate with trees. Kucinich did visit the woman — whom he has described as a teacher and good friend but not a spiritual adviser."

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 
You are here.