AirframeAS
Topic Author

GPS Devices For USA.

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:21 pm

Morning!

I have been thinking for a quite awhile to purchase a GPS device for myself. I found one that I really like and its a Magellian Maestro 3100. It has pre-loaded maps in it already.

A friend of mine told me that if I purchase that (which is $249.00 at the local Target store.), I would have to also purchase wireless service to actually use it through providers like T-Mobile, Sprint or Verizon, etc etc.... The box does not even mention that wireless services must be purchased in order to actually use it.

My father has a handheld Garmin (the very old version of it, but a good one..) and he doesn't have service in order to use it. And it works great.

So my question is, do I need to actually purchase wireless service to use this GPS device? I plan on only using it in the USA.

Any insights, comments and advice are welcome.

Thanks, guys (and gals!)  wave 
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

MDorBust

RE: GPS Devices For USA.

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:55 pm

Usually you only need add on services for models that provide real time traffic updates. The 3100 doesn't have that feature available so I would doubt you need any service provider for it. I would suspect it's a stand alone unit.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

AirframeAS
Topic Author

Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:04 pm

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 1):
I would suspect it's a stand alone unit.

Forgive me for sounding ignorant, but what do you mean by 'stand alone unit'? Do you mean its a unit that doesn't require the need to be connected to the internet?

IFEMaster

Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:58 pm

I had one of those, and you don't need a wireless service.

However, it's a piece of crap. It would tell you to turn after you've passed the exit, send you down dead-end roads etc. I got rid of it and got a Garmin StreePilot 340c instead, and that thing is excellent.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

nirmalmakadia

Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:04 pm

Go for Garmin buddy. I've used many different brands, Garmin is the best. I have a old Garmin StreetPilot 2620 and it works like a charm.

Regards

Nirmal

AirframeAS
Topic Author

Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:08 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 3):

Can you mute any of these things seeing that I'm deaf and dont need something talking to me endlessly? LOL!!!!!!!

Quoting Nirmalmakadia (Reply 4):

I'm considering the Garmin version of course. The one Target has, I don't remember the version it is.

IFEMaster

Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:54 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 5):
Can you mute any of these things seeing that I'm deaf and dont need something talking to me endlessly? LOL!!!!!!!

Well yes, you can turn the volume off, but the map still reflects what the text-to-speech would say...it would still take you down dead end roads or in to a lake (I'm not kidding...just like they showed on The Office a few weeks ago, my Magellen once told me to 'Turn right and board the ferry'; there was no ferry; it was a slip road for launching boats on to a lake. Get the Garmin!

dan2002

Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:46 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 6):
Well yes, you can turn the volume off, but the map still reflects what the text-to-speech would say...it would still take you down dead end roads or in to a lake (I'm not kidding...just like they showed on The Office a few weeks ago, my Magellen once told me to 'Turn right and board the ferry'; there was no ferry; it was a slip road for launching boats on to a lake. Get the Garmin!

Must be the European maps because I've had the 3100 for a few months and it's never given me any wrong directions or anything like that.
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

AirframeAS
Topic Author

Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:20 pm

Thanks for all the replies! I'll have to do a bit more shopping around for a good one. Garmin and Magellians are pretty good.

Quoting Dan2002 (Reply 7):
Must be the European maps...

Nothing against IFEMaster, but I was beginning to think the same thing....

IFEMaster

Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:29 pm

Quoting Dan2002 (Reply 7):
Must be the European maps because I've had the 3100 for a few months and it's never given me any wrong directions or anything like that.

Check my profile. I live in Orange County, CA. And that's where I had the problem. Maybe it's different for other states or even different for other areas of CA, but from Chatsworth down to San Diego, it might as well have been a map of Zimbabwe. Useless.

AirframeAS
Topic Author

Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:31 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 9):

Your flag and your profile confuses the most of us it seems.....

DLPMMM

Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:52 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 8):
Nothing against IFEMaster, but I was beginning to think the same thing....

I have (and had) built-in models in my Chrysler and Lincoln, and swear by having a good GPS.

I rented a car in Madrid a few weeks ago and got a portable TomTom GPS to go with it from Avis. It worked great once I got it to quit speaking to me in Catalan. I would suggest that you check out the TomTom as an additional option.

I have an old portable Garmin as well (a present) that I am not thrilled with.

AirframeAS
Topic Author

Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:28 am

Target offers the following devices:

Magellian Maestro 3100 (I mentioned that...) $249
Garmin Nuvi 200. $299 and on sale!
TomTom (I dont know what kind of a TomTom is. $249.

My father was looking at a Garmin eTrex Summet HC and he thinks that would be a good one for me. Its a handheld. I'm still shopping around for a real good one.

I realize that some people have their own preferences on what GPS to buy, its sort of like GPS has their own 'personality' and has to 'click' with their owner, if you know what I mean.

I am now debating between the 3100 and the 200, as I mentioned above. The TomTom doesn't look that reliable... I just have a bad feeling about it....

And oh, I work at Target by the way! LOL!