fxramper
Topic Author

Latest Book You've Read...

Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:55 am

Upton Sinclair - Oil!

Daniel Yergin - The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money, and Power

Both absolutely brilliant. The later being a Pulitzer Prize winner. Anyone who is curious as to why oil is $91/barrel should read the Yergin book.

Please share.

RobertNL070

RE: Latest Book You've Read...

Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:38 am

Being somewhat omnivorous, the pile of publications next to my side of the bed include:

What Car! november 2007 issue. Granted, not a book but a fairly hefty magazine;
Karen Armstrong's Buddha;
Het Grote Boek Voor De Kleine Tuin or The Large Book For The Small Garden;
Airbus A380: Superjumbo of the 21st Century (on loan from the public library).
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

JGPH1A

Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:21 am

Just finished "Making Money" by Terry Pratchett - excellent as always, but the plot is not that well fleshed-out. Not in the top 5 Pratchetts but certainly very good.

Now reading "The Wives of Henry VIII" by David Starkey (I hope he wasn't the holocaust denier one) - it's pretty good, but fairly lightweight (despite being a great brick of a book).

I was reading "A Spot of Bother" by the guy who wrote "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" - I loved the previous book, but this new one left me cold - unpleasant, tedious characters that defy one to care about them.

Next I shall mostly be reading "Espresso Tales" by Alexander McCall Smitth, and "The Reverse of the Medal" by Patrick O'Brian.

Also bought "Dark Fire" by C.Ranson(?) - I read the 3rd in the series already ("Sovereign" ?) while I was on holiday, this is the 2nd in the series - he's an excellent writer, it's detective fiction set in Tudor London during the reign of Henry VIII. Brutal but good.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Wolverine

Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:28 am

A rumor of war by Philip Caputo
Face your fears, live your dreams! (No Fear)

NeilYYZ

Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:32 am

I've finished in the past week -

Helter Skelter - The Manson Murders (Bugliosi & Gentry)
Right Side Up - The Fall of Paul Martin and the Rise of Stephen Harper's Conservatism (Wells)

Currently I'm in the middle of -

A Postmodern Reader (Natoli & Hutcheon)
Religion and Politics in the International System Today (Hanson)
Rescuing Canada's Right - A Blueprint for a Conservative Revolution (Daifallah & Kheiriddin)
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

Aaron747

Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:32 am

"The Magus" by John Fowles
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

tootallsd

Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:43 am

Finishing 1491 -- America before Columbus, very very interesting

Left MAO, his biography because it is officially banned here in China.

stlgph

Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:46 am

Zoya by Danielle Steele.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

wilco737

Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:53 am

READING?!  Wow!  covereyes   eek   eyepopping   melting   talktothehand   white 

You are really talking about books and reading? no thanks, not for me

Just kidding: Last book read: The adventures of Sherlock Holmes

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

RobertNL070

Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:34 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 2):
Just finished "Making Money" by Terry Pratchett - excellent as always, but the plot is not that well fleshed-out. Not in the top 5 Pratchetts but certainly very good.

I thought I'd take a look at your friend Terry Pratchett.

From his entry in Wikipedia: "Terry Pratchett was born in 1948 in Beaconsfield to David and Eileen Pratchett, of Hay-on-Wye. Pratchett passed his eleven plus exam in 1959 and went to High Wycombe Technical High School. He credits his education to the Beaconsfield Public Library"

I lived in Beaconsfield from 1970-1985 and on more than one occasion my parents had to phone Beaconsfield Library to ask the staff to get me to go home for dinner. Small world.

MD11junkie

Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:59 pm

Santiago Varela - La Guerrita
Abel Posse - La Santa Locura de los Argentinos
Mabel Thwaites Rey - Alas Rotas (history of Aerolineas Argentinas)

Gastón - The MD11junkie
There is no such thing as Boeing vs Airbus as the queen of the skies has three engines, winglets and the sweetest nose!

LHRjc

Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:01 pm

Playboy

signed MYT332
"Our 319's are very reliable. They get fixed very quickly."

PlymSpotter

Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:10 pm

Quoting LHRjc (Reply 11):
Playboy

signed MYT332

Yet he still has difficulty with the longer captions, bless.  Wink

Currently reading "the Art of Travel" by Alain de Botton. Interesting, deals with a lot of the philosophy behind why we travel.

In addition I'm reading a whole bunch of reference books for my studies; various titles on climate, flood management and management of the landscape.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

LHMark

Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:13 pm

"Three Sheets to the Wind" by beer writer Pete Brown,
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

B747forever

Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:39 pm

Dave Pelzers books. The are really great.
Work Hard, Fly Right

Toast

Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:42 pm

I haven't read anything new in a long time, but I revisited quite a lot of good books recently:

- Cizia Zyke's autobiographic trilogy: "Gold", "Sahara" and "Parody". Zyke is a French traveler and adventurer, and his travails in Costa Rica, Africa, and Canada respectively are gut-splitting funny. I read these three books at least once a year.
- "Les idées noires" by Franquin. It's a black and white comic book full of very dark, morbid humor (the author wrote it when he was dying of cancer). It's full of multi-level puns and I always discover one I'd missed when I re-read it. Stay away from this book when you're down and out, it could make you entertain unhealthy ideas.
- "The hidden persuaders" by Vance Packard. A classic about advertising and propaganda.

I'm intrigued as well by this Pratchett guy. Lots of people with similar tastes to mine love him and quote him at length. I've never read any of his books. Which would you recommend to read first?
Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

mbmbos

Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:45 pm

Quoting Wolverine (Reply 3):
"The Magus" by John Fowles

I read that fifteen years ago. What a head trip that book was. What did you think?

I'm reading The Language Instinct by Steven Pinker. If you want to read about what has been going on in linguistics theory this is the book to read. Pinker is articulate and has some very funny anecdotes.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

Dougloid

Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:45 pm

Gosh...what a buncha literary gents. Good on yer.
 Wink  Wink  Wink

My last was Building the Perfect PC (very informative)and I'm halfway through Saul Friedlander's "The Years of Extermination; Nazi Germany and the Jews, 1939-1945".
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

Toast

Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:57 pm

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 16):
I'm reading The Language Instinct by Steven Pinker. If you want to read about what has been going on in linguistics theory this is the book to read. Pinker is articulate and has some very funny anecdotes.

yes  Pinker brought linguistics to the masses. A non-geek can enjoy his books without any preliminary knowledge of the subject. I re-read his "Words and rules" a couple of weeks ago, I wish this was what they taught us during our first weeks of college. Too many people quit when directly confronted with ultra-heavy Chomsky and Saussure.

LHRjc

Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:58 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 12):
Yet he still has difficulty with the longer captions, bless.

I believe he's progressed onto the cartoons in The Sun recently though.  biggrin 

As for me, I'm still studying the joys of General Navigation and Polar Stereographic maps in the Bristol Ground School ATPL books. Utter joy.
"Our 319's are very reliable. They get fixed very quickly."

cedars747

Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:02 pm

Quoting FXramper (Thread starter):
Latest Book You've Read...

The prophet by Khalil Gibran...simply amazing !

Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion /لدي شغف للطيران / I have a passion for aviation /Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart/ J'ai une passion pour l'aviation.

sunshine79

Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:09 pm

I´m in the middle of reading The Love Academy by Belinda Jones. It´s a girly book and I´ve read all her books. They´re all set in different locations around the world.
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

Toast

Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:11 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 17):
Gosh...what a buncha literary gents.

Proposal for the next a.net meet:

http://www.wga.hu/art/h/hogarth/marriag1.jpg

wrighbrothers

Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:17 pm

Recently completed 'The one that got away' by Chris Ryan and 'Bravo Two Zero' by Andy McNab for personal reading, however I've also recently read 'Lord of the Flies' for my GCSE English exam next year.

Wrighbrothers  wave 
Always stand up for what is right, even if it means standing alone..

mbmbos

Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:36 pm

Quoting Toast (Reply 22):

Do we have to wear powdered wigs?
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

JGPH1A

Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:13 pm

Quoting Toast (Reply 15):
I've never read any of his books. Which would you recommend to read first?

The first one (duh !)  Smile

"The Colour of Magic" is his first Discworld book (although there are the earlier Carpet People books, but they aren't as good). It does help to read the Discworld books in order, as they do follow on from one another more or less. You can divide the books into 7 sub-headings if you like, and read each set in order if you like.

Rincewind - Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic, Sourcery, FaustEric, Interesting Times, The Last Continent
The Witches - Equal Rites, Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad, Lords and Ladies, Maskerade, Carpe Jugulum
Death - Mort, Reaper Man, Soul Music, Hogfather, Thief of Time
The Watch - Guards Guards, Men at Arms, Feet of Clay, Jingo, The Fifth Elephant, Night Watch
Ankh Morpork - Moving Pictures, The Truth, Going Postal, Making Money
Tiffany Aching - Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky, Wintersmith
Other - Pyramids, Small Gods

Small Gods is probably my absolute favourite, followed by Thief of Time and Witches Abroad. They are all wonderful, funny, literate and intelligent books, beautifully written with cleverly crafted and above all evolving characters - they are an absolute joy to read, I re-read them regularly and will make every effort to obtain new ones as soon as they come out (he published twice a year on average).
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

j_hallgren

Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:18 pm

This week, it's the only book I've read in a LONG time: Forgotten Ellis Island by Lorie Conway.
It's about the hospital section of Ellis Island and the people who went through there...
I was at the premiere of the related documentary and book signing this week at Ellis Island, since my family is referenced in the book and film...
See http://www.ForgottenEllisIsland.com
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

YYZflyer

Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:20 pm

I just finished The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. The only reason I read it was because I had to in my English class. I don't know when I plan on reading another book. Maybe I should finish off my Air Disasters Vol 1.

veryhappy 
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

JGPH1A

Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:26 pm

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 24):
Do we have to wear powdered wigs?

Wooohoo - I can wear my "Marie Antoinette"

Aaron747

Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:53 pm

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 16):
I read that fifteen years ago. What a head trip that book was. What did you think?

Boy, you said it. I haven't enjoyed a more pretentious novel in quite a long time  Wink

Quoting Toast (Reply 18):
Pinker brought linguistics to the masses. A non-geek can enjoy his books without any preliminary knowledge of the subject. I re-read his "Words and rules" a couple of weeks ago, I wish this was what they taught us during our first weeks of college. Too many people quit when directly confronted with ultra-heavy Chomsky and Saussure.

Whatever the case, I'm still repeating all the Japanese I hear two and a half years in and still can't speak the damn thing past a few casual sentences.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

JeffSFO

Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:31 pm

Fascinating portrait of an iconoclast who took on the Air Force and Pentagon bureaucracies (and won). In the meantime, he also changed the art of war forever with the Energy-Maneuverability theory, developed the OODA loop, and was responsible for the successful development of the F-15 and F-16 and, also, never lost a dogfight.

LAXspotter

Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:45 pm

The Case for a Creator, absolute BS given to me by a High school teacher two years ago, the author went from being a writer for a Chicago paper to being a conservative Christian. He also wrote "Case for Christ". Lee Strobel is his name. After that I've completely stopped reading books, I just look at Book summaries.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

PlymSpotter

Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:11 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 28):
Wooohoo - I can wear my "Marie Antoinette"

Oh my, perhaps I should try that one day for a fancy dress costume... only perhaps with concord rising majestically through a cloud instead of the ship.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

dc9northwest

Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:24 pm

Quoting Toast (Reply 22):

Hey, that's the Marriage Proposal... No! I did study it in Art History; small world  Cool

My latest book is Fahrenheit 451, unless you consider 'mandatory'  Silly school reading, in which case I've read excerpts from Beloved, by Toni Morrison.

CO7e7

Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:59 am

2 days ago i finished reading Final Approach by John Nance

and now i'm reading Scorpion Strike by John Nance.

scrubbsywg

Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:26 am

just finished: Good To Great

currently reading:

The Smartest Guys in the Room(enron debacle)
Tough choices(memoirs of the female former CEO of HP)

JGPH1A

Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:04 pm

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 9):
Pratchett passed his eleven plus exam in 1959 and went to High Wycombe Technical High School

Oh wow - it is a small world ! I went to Royal Grammar School, High Wycombe for a year before we emigrated to S.A. - he must have lived locally too. Of course, as a superior person, I didn't live IN High Wycombe, which is (and was) chav central - I lived in a very tasteful, genteel and upper class village nearby.  snooty   Silly

RobertNL070

Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:19 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 36):
Royal Grammar School, High Wycombe

Me too. From 1974-1980. And we are in the same age bracket. Oops.

I lived in Beaconsfield  snooty  and my mother still lives there.

JGPH1A

Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:55 pm

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 37):
Me too. From 1974-1980.

Oh dear. I was there from autumn 1979 to summer 1980. I expect you probably bullied me  Smile

RobertNL070

Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:04 pm

No. I wasn't the bullying type (and still not)  Smile

Alias1024

Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:20 am

Last one I finished was "Collapse" by Jared Diamond. Currently working on "Parallel Worlds" by Michio Kaku.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

LAXspotter

Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:26 am

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 40):
Jared Diamond

interesting man, controversial author especially about "Guns, Germs and Steel".
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

airxliban

Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:15 am

Well, I typically like reading books on history (particularly Middle Eastern) and theology. However since many of the books that I read might have something about Islam written in them which the Saudis might not like, I can't bring those books into Saudi Arabia, which is where I spend 5 of the 7 days of the week otherwise they will be confiscated if I get searched.

So while in Saudi I read books on business - I recently read:

The Upside by Adrian Slywotzsky, a senior director of the consulting firm I work for. It's about how you deal with the biggest threats that you business faces, and how you can turn them into your biggest competitive advantages. He uses several case studies, including Microsoft, the iPod, Toyota's Prius success story, and others.

While on holiday last week, I also read:

The Israel Lobby and U.S. Foreign Policy by John Mearsheimer and Stephan Walt. It's about how a wide stretching group of people including Jews, Christians, neoconservatives, media pundits, American Jewish organizations and others have their hands around Congress' balls, and how they have pressured the US Government into doing things that are not in its own interests and not even in the interests of Israel.

I next intend on reading:

The Deadliest Lies by Abraham Foxman. This is a rebuttal of the Walt book. It hasn't gotten very good reviews, but I bought it at the same time as The Israel Lobby because I figured I need to read both to make a judgment on the topic at hand.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

roadrunner165

Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:42 am

Lee Child --->
Without Fail

Adam

jfk69

Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:56 pm

Recently finished "Entebbe" by Iddo Netanyahu....pretty informative book about the operation.

I plan on picking up "Rigged: The True Story of an Ivy League Kid Who Changed the World of Oil, from Wall Street to Dubai" by Ben Mezrich. I love his books and I am looking forward to this one.

asuflyer05

Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:20 pm

"The Mormon Way of Doing Business" - Jeff Benedict

Soku39

Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:40 pm

I just finished Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby, excellent book, laughed my ass off the whole way through it!
The Ohio Player

eaglekeeper101

Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:18 pm

I just finished "Kingdom Coming: The Rise of Christian Nationalism" by Michelle Goldberg.

Currently reading "Iran Awakening" by Shirin Ebadi
"The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens." - Bahá'u'lláh

fumanchewd

Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:31 am

Quoting Airxliban (Reply 42):
The Israel Lobby and U.S. Foreign Policy by John Mearsheimer and Stephan Walt. It's about how a wide stretching group of people including Jews, Christians, neoconservatives, media pundits, American Jewish organizations and others have their hands around Congress' balls, and how they have pressured the US Government into doing things that are not in its own interests and not even in the interests of Israel.

I love both sides of an argument and have been meaning to pick this up. Along with the other side....

The Deadliest Lies: The Myth of The Jewish Lobby is a direct rebuttal of the book mentioned above.

"Today there appears to be a cottage industry of those writing about the Israeli Lobby. Most of the books to date have been neither serious nor analytical. On the contrary, they have been misleading and often fallacious, reflecting both a tendency to rewrite history and to misunderstand the policy process. Abe Foxman provides a highly readable antidote. Apart from explaining why there has been a tendency to find a simple-minded scapegoat for the troubles in American foreign policy after 9/11 and our travails in Iraq, Foxman offers a reasoned and systematic critique of what President Jimmy Carter and Professors Mearsheimer and Walt have written. More importantly, he presents useful criteria for how to shape an open, civil, and far-reaching debate on our policy toward the Middle East. Rarely has a book been more timely."
--Ambassador Dennis Ross, former American envoy to the Arab-Israeli peace process and author of Statecraft and How to Restore America's Standing in the World

Charles Schultz has written a wonderful forward for this book...although I fail to see why the creator of Peanuts was asked to write a forward to a political book.  Wow!

Besides the many history books that I am reading for classes that I am taking I am also reading some for pleasure.

Sartre-Nausea
Gunter Grass-Crabwalk
Ecletic Real People-Penthouse Letters IX- The Babysitter Chronicles  Wink

I have just purchased on Amazon and can't wait to start reading. It may have to wait until December though.
Simon Sebag Montefiore- Young Stalin
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

fumanchewd

Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:06 am

Quoting Airxliban (Reply 42):
I next intend on reading:

The Deadliest Lies by Abraham Foxman. This is a rebuttal of the Walt book. It hasn't gotten very good reviews, but I bought it at the same time as The Israel Lobby because I figured I need to read both to make a judgment on the topic at hand.

Good. Usually these types of books are extreme and the truth is somewhere in the middle.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...