Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Kieron747
Topic Author

Star Trek Movie: The Final Cast

Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:58 pm

The New Star Trek move cast list is here…

Kirk

Spock

Scotty

Uhura

Chekov

Sulu

McCoy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7065470.stm

Interesting, very interesting, Due December 2008.

What say you lot?

Kieron

airlinelover

RE: Star Trek Movie: The Final Cast

Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:03 pm

Hey.. wasn't that kid who is playing Chekov the nerdy scared of his father kid in Road Trip??

As for kirk, ok.. Spock, not too sure, scotty LOL... Uhura, that will be interesting Sulu, ok.. Mccoy: WTF!!!

Wonder if Shatnoid will get to show up.. I know the latest was he got jilted out of it, but other rumors are he WILL be in it...

Kieron747
Topic Author

Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:08 pm

Quoting Airlinelover (Reply 1):
Hey.. wasn't that kid who is playing Chekov the nerdy scared of his father kid in Road Trip??

I'm not sure, I don't think so.

As for Sulu, wasn't he in American Pie seen chanting "milf, milf, milf" at the picture of Stiffler's mum?

ok.. Mccoy: WTF!!!

checkmark 

Anyone called 'Karl Urban' has to be taking the piss!  Wink

Wonder if Shatnoid will get to show up.. I know the latest was he got jilted out of it, but other rumors are he WILL be in it...

BBC says he won't be in the film, and he was upset about it...

Kieron

AirTranTUS

Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:56 pm

No. But the guy playing Sulu played Harold in Harold & Kumar go to White Castle.

airlinelover

Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:20 pm

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 2):
As for Sulu, wasn't he in American Pie seen chanting "milf, milf, milf" at the picture of Stiffler's mum?

OMG!!! yes!!! Although I can hardly see him chanting "AILF AILF AILF".. (Alien I'd like to ...)

Kieron747
Topic Author

Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:09 pm

Uhura, that will be interesting

Given a chioce, I'd sure as damned hell tap the new Uhura over the old...

Nice rack.  Wink

Quoting Airlinelover (Reply 4):
OMG!!! yes!!! Although I can hardly see him chanting "AILF AILF AILF".. (Alien I'd like to ...)

rotfl 

Its not confirmed eh as I can't access imdb at the mo, but it looks like him.

I'm pretty damned sure it is him though.

Kieron

LTU932

Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:18 pm

I don't know about this. I certainly wish they would have let the Star Trek saga end with a "Final Showdown" against the Borg or something. I can't see the pictures here at work, but I'll have to look at those tonight.

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 3):
No. But the guy playing Sulu played Harold in Harold & Kumar go to White Castle.

Since I can't see the pictures, I presume you mean John Cho, right?

Kieron747
Topic Author

Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:40 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 6):
Since I can't see the pictures, I presume you mean John Cho

That's the man! John Cho.

IIt'll be hard to see him playing a serious role after his American Pie debut.

Kieron

MSYtristar

Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:58 pm

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 7):
IIt'll be hard to see him playing a serious role after his American Pie debut

"Harold Goes to White Castle (in spacedock)"

LTU932

Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:59 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 8):
"Harold Goes to White Castle (in spacedock)"

So, do they have a White Castle on McKinley Station? Big grin

ShyFlyer

Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:26 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 9):
So, do they have a White Castle on McKinley Station?

Yeah, its in between the Barnes & Nobel and Starbucks.  Cool

tsaord

Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:51 am

HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Uhura wasn't latino!!!!!! hehehehehehehehehehehehe.

I am anticipating this movie very much!

cfalk

Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:49 am

I am extremely worried about the casting. A lot of these guys are just "pretty boys". Are the producers thinking that they need to go after the teenage girl audience? Throw in some sex? Turn it into some dipshit movie?

If they mess with the formula, they could kill off the franchise.

AirframeAS

Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:33 pm

Quoting Kieron747 (Thread starter):
Uhura

That actress IS a total HOTTIE!!!!!!!!  yes 

BBC says he won't be in the film, and he was upset about it...

And he has every right to be upset about it. After all, he has been in more episodes/films than any other Star Trek actor, IIRC.

Scotty

Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:49 pm

Bunch of kids..

How comes Scotty's hair is red? He was from Linlithgow and is a Black Bitch (no racist comment btw - thats what people from Linlithgow are called)

seb146

Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:37 pm

Looking at the pics of these wankers, I am reminded of a line from the Simpsons episode where Homer moves to the "Gay Ghetto" of Springfield:

Gay
Gay
Gay
Gay-for-pay....

But seriously: When is a Voyager movie coming out?

JBo

Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:49 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 13):
And he has every right to be upset about it. After all, he has been in more episodes/films than any other Star Trek actor, IIRC.

Even moreso than Michael Dorn?

PHLBOS

Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:03 pm

From the above-link:
The movie will show the crew meeting at the Starfleet Academy and embarking on their first mission.

Star Trek (TOS) Purist Alert Here

Oversight # 1. McCoy, Uhura & Sulu (IIRC) didn't appear in the aired Pilot episode, Where No Man Has Gone Before. Nonetheless, since they did appear in the following episode (The Corbomite Maneuver), this one can be somewhat forgivable.

Oversight # 2 - repeat of a glitch in ST2-TWOK. Chekov (who's supposed to be younger than the rest of the crew) didn't join the cast until the 2nd season (1967-1968). It was a glitch in ST2-TWOK because it shows Khan recognizing Chekov. Since the episode involving Khan, Space Seed, aired during the 1st season; he would've not met Chekov.

Nonetheless

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 12):
I am extremely worried about the casting. A lot of these guys are just "pretty boys". Are the producers thinking that they need to go after the teenage girl audience? Throw in some sex? Turn it into some dipshit movie?

I thought the franchise was already done.

tsaord

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:05 pm

You are judging these people based on their regular appearance? They are NOT in costume! Since this is about the younger years of the original crew of course they would look like kids, to a point.

Kieron747
Topic Author

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:10 pm

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 17):
Oversight # 2 - repeat of a glitch in ST2-TWOK. Chekov (who's supposed to be younger than the rest of the crew) didn't join the cast until the 2nd season (1967-1968). It was a glitch in ST2-TWOK because it shows Khan recognizing Chekov. Since the episode involving Khan, Space Seed, aired during the 1st season; he would've not met Chekov.

True, very true.

A case of artistic license though methinks.

Oversight # 1. McCoy, Uhura & Sulu (IIRC) didn't appear in the aired Pilot episode, Where No Man Has Gone Before. Nonetheless, since they did appear in the following episode (The Corbomite Maneuver), this one can be somewhat forgivable.

Continuity didn't sem to be a priority in the original series. Look at how many actors played more than one role. Having said that, such things were evident throughout much of the Star Trek series and in many other shows too. Look at how many times Robert Culp featured in Columbo.

If you consider though how much Paramount/Desilu fared (ratings wise) in the original pilot, no wonder they rehashed the pilot in the episode "The Menagerie".

As for my wn opinions on the new film, I fear that I am in agreement with...

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 12):
lot of these guys are just "pretty boys". Are the producers thinking that they need to go after the teenage girl audience? Throw in some sex? Turn it into some dipshit movie?

Don't get me wrong, I will see this new film at the flicks, but as I have thought recently with the Star Trek films. I shan't be buying the DVD. I stopped buying after First Contact.

Shame really. As a kid the entire franchise enthralled me. I couldn't get enough of it. Nowadays, I have my original movie DVDs up to First Contact, I have some TNG DVDs, and I still enjoy TOS.

I fear that this new film will be all special effects and bravado. A very thin film at the best.

Roddenberry must be spinning in his grave  Wink!

Kieron

fumanchewd

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:13 pm

Judging on their age as well. All other crews had grown men. With the exception of the last, I see no men here.

I wonder how it works that the Captain of a starship looks under 30? That must be one hell of an academy!

LTU932

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:16 pm

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 19):
Roddenberry must be spinning in his grave

I'm sure he's already been spinning in his grave ever since his ashes were sent to space.  Wink

Kieron747
Topic Author

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:30 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 21):
I'm sure he's already been spinning in his grave ever since his ashes were sent to space.

Never was a truer word spoke!  Wink

Kieron

LTU932

Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:12 am

Chekov

He needs to fix his hair if he wants to be Pavel Andreievich Chekov. It's too curly.

Sulu

Nothing against Koreans, but now that I look at this picture, Cho looks too Korean to be Sulu. Judging from the name, Hikaru Sulu is half Filipino and half Japanese. George Takei, himself a Japanese-American, had the perfect blend for that. Then again, Jacqueline Kim, the actress who played Demora Sulu in Generations, is herself a Korean-American and looks noticeably Korean, but the fact that Demora looks Korean could, in theory, be explained with the fact that Sulu married a woman of Korean descent (but there's no canonical proof of that).

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 5):
Given a chioce, I'd sure as damned hell tap the new Uhura over the old...

Well, when Nichelle Nichols was young during the filming of TOS in the 60's, she didn't look that bad either.  Wink

Quoting Scotty (Reply 14):
How comes Scotty's hair is red? He was from Linlithgow and is a Black Bitch

He could still get his hair dyed so he does look like a "Black Bitch" from Linlithgow.  Wink

hawaiian717

Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:49 am

Just because we never saw them doesn't mean they weren't on the ship. As Kirk put it so memorably in A Piece of the Action, "there's over four hundred guys up there". Not all of them get screen time.

Quoting JBo (Reply 16):
Even moreso than Michael Dorn?

I would agree with this. Memory Alpha gives the numbers: 277 episodes (TNG and DS9) and 5 movies (The Undiscovered Country through Nemesis).

LTU932

Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:16 am

Quoting Hawaiian717 (Reply 24):
I would agree with this. Memory Alpha gives the numbers: 277 episodes (TNG and DS9) and 5 movies (The Undiscovered Country through Nemesis).

And some useless trivia: in Undiscovered Country, Michael Dorn played a much different Worf, not the LCDR Worf who we know and have come to appreciate. In TUC, he was Colonel Worf, the defense attorney for Kirk and McCoy and the father of Mogh, the father of Lieutenant Commander Worf. Still, looking back, I'm sure Colonel Worf would be proud of his grandson, even though his grandson was fully part of Starfleet (barring the time he went to serve with his brother in the civil war and the many times he was Martok's XO on the IKS Rotarran).

JGPH1A

Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:51 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 25):
And some useless trivia: in Undiscovered Country, Michael Dorn played a much different Worf, not the LCDR Worf who we know and have come to appreciate. In TUC, he was Colonel Worf, the defense attorney for Kirk and McCoy and the father of Mogh, the father of Lieutenant Commander Worf. Still, looking back, I'm sure Colonel Worf would be proud of his grandson, even though his grandson was fully part of Starfleet (barring the time he went to serve with his brother in the civil war and the many times he was Martok's XO on the IKS Rotarran).

WooOOP, woooOOOP - POINTY EAR ALERT IN EFFECT ! POINTY EAR ALERT IN EFFECT !  rotfl 

Kieron747
Topic Author

Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:55 pm

The plot thickens!

"Hunt for 'odd' Star Trek extras"
"Producers of the new Star Trek movie are to hold an open casting session for people with "unique" features to appear as extras in the film.

The studio said it was interested in people with unique characteristics like "long necks, small heads, bug eyes, large foreheads and oversized ears".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7083123.stm

Kieron

JetBlueGuy2006

Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:04 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 15):

I hope soon.

ST: V was/is my fav of them all

Marcus

Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:19 pm

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 19):
I shan't be buying the DVD. I stopped buying after First Contact.

I'm doing the opposite......you can get the DVD for Nemesis for $6 but the one for the first movie is $20, older ST movies sell for more money that the newer ones......so I have started my collection backwards.

AirTranTUS

Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:14 pm

Quoting Marcus (Reply 29):
I'm doing the opposite......you can get the DVD for Nemesis for $6 but the one for the first movie is $20, older ST movies sell for more money that the newer ones......so I have started my collection backwards.

Last week we ordered a box set of all the movies (special editions) for $39 for my mom's birthday. In fact, the sale is still on: http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=5781508

don81603

Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:01 am

Pilot episode, Where No Man Has Gone Before.

Wasn't the original Pilot called "The Cage"? With a different Captain (Pike, I believe), and the ship was named "Yorktown"?

ANCFlyer

Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:04 am

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 31):
Wasn't the original Pilot called "The Cage"? With a different Captain (Pike, I believe), and the ship was named "Yorktown"?

Ship was still Enterpprise.

Episode was the Cage.

Captain CHristopher Pike

Doctor Piper

Spock was still Spock, but not the unemotioinal Spock.

Nurse Chappel (Majel Barrett) was a Bridge Officer (XO) not a nurse.

JGPH1A

Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:30 pm

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 27):
long necks, small heads, bug eyes, large foreheads and oversized ears".

Kirkie should try out - he has e) All of the above.

Smile

SBBRTech

Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:44 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 6):
I certainly wish they would have let the Star Trek saga end with a "Final Showdown"

Who said it´s going to end???

Nice rack.

checkmark 

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 15):

The series ended some 6 yrs ago and even after a ton of rumors, i bet they will never use that cast again.

When is the remastered classic Star Trek due to be released? I guess that pack will force me into buying a HD-DVD compatible player.

Kieron747
Topic Author

Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:55 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 33):
Kirkie should try out - he has e) All of the above.

I knew sooner or later that comment would surface. And I also correctly guessed it would be made by either Cornish or JGPH1A.  Wink

Quoting SBBRTech (Reply 34):
When is the remastered classic Star Trek due to be released? I guess that pack will force me into buying a HD-DVD compatible player.

I don't know about that, all I do know is that they'll charge us an arm and a leg for the entire collection!  Smile

Kieron

SBBRTech

Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:36 pm

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 35):
I don't know about that, all I do know is that they'll charge us an arm and a leg for the entire collection!

No doubt! I´ve been buying up ST:TNG collection and the prices here go around USD 70,00 per season.

But the lame thing about Paramount Brazil is that they released season 1 packed in a single acrilic box with all DVDs inside, season 2 came out the same way, and then suddenly from the 3rd season all packs came in a larger/cheaper box with separated thin cases for each DVD...they messed the whole thing up just like that, but the prices didn´t go down a single cent.

Damn jungle capitalism!

Kieron747
Topic Author

Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:39 pm

Quoting SBBRTech (Reply 36):
But the lame thing about Paramount Brazil is that they released season 1 packed in a single acrilic box with all DVDs inside, season 2 came out the same way, and then suddenly from the 3rd season all packs came in a larger/cheaper box with separated thin cases for each DVD...they messed the whole thing up just like that, but the prices didn´t go down a single cent.

Damn jungle capitalism!

That kind of crap can be annoying!

Whan I was a kid I had Star Trek VHS videos I-III in similar cases, (CIC video with black backgrounds with diagonal pinstripes all over), then when ST:IV came out they used the damned orange 'Voyage Home' poster all over the case, same with the later films! Damned well ruined the uniform look of my collection!  Wink

Kieron

petertenthije

Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:52 pm

The series ended some 6 yrs ago and even after a ton of rumors, i bet they will never use that cast again.

I suppose nothing is inpossible though considering Babylon 5 was brought back in direct-to-DVD form. The first one was released in NL last week and in the USA a few months ago? Prior to that the last (aborted) spin-off was released in 2002 and the last B5 proper was 1999.

No word yet on when/if more will follow but it has been said that the makers where very impressed with sales figures.

SBBRTech

Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:44 pm

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 37):

The lack of respect for us collectors is a worldwide practice...it pisses me off!
VHS, ah, that´s great. Unfortunately during the 80´s it was almost impossible to find out anything ST related in Brazil, only imported from the US. So all my stuff is DVD.

In those pre-cable tv days the series were broadcasted in horrible hours and oddly arranged, they managed to air an episode from season 1 for example, and then the next day you would watch a season 3 episode...it was sad, no wonder the ST phenomenon was quite weak in south america.

Quoting Petertenthije (Reply 38):
suppose nothing is inpossible though considering Babylon 5 was brought back in direct-to-DVD form.

Oh yeah, that´s a great clue for Paramount..or whatever enterprise owns the rights now....a DVD movie would be as

Kieron747
Topic Author

Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:16 pm

Quoting SBBRTech (Reply 39):
In those pre-cable tv days the series were broadcasted in horrible hours and oddly arranged, they managed to air an episode from season 1 for example, and then the next day you would watch a season 3 episode...it was sad, no wonder the ST phenomenon was quite weak in south america.

My sympathies.

In England, they would often air Star Trek on BBC2 either weekly on Wednesdays or every Sunday morning (this was in the 90's or so) so and they were generally kept in order. I never managed to get the complete Original Series on VHS as I was using my paper-round money to finance then, and even back then they were about 10 quid a pop!.. (even in the 80's!)

Wednesday nights at 6pm on BBC2 were mya favourite, when we had the entire Next Generation on, and thanks to being on the BBC, no damned adverts! (Unlike Channel 4 who aired 'Enterprise' with their damned adverts!)

Anyway, now we have DVD boxsets, and all is well, apart from the price.

I do so miss the chunky VHS cassette cases though.

Quoting SBBRTech (Reply 39):

Tell me, were such episodes dubbed, subtitled or in English, or both?
Kind regards,

Kieron

SBBRTech

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:36 am

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 40):

man...they were freaking dubbed. if you only hear Kirk´s 1970´s back street São Paulo pimp voice (that´s my wife´s definition) you would cry. I gotta upload some of that crap to prove my case. Wait to hear Scotty...

I really have a problem with this dubbing thing, I deeply hate it. I like the original sound of whatever language it´s been spoken, but here people love it...open TV channels dub like 150% of their foreign programs. A video of a real parrot saying some english word goes dubbed! It´s hopeless. Cable does it a lot but fortunately you can use the SAP option.

It´s hard to follow the series on TV, and TiVo hasn´t shown up here but I know that today only TNG is aired in english and subtitled in portuguese on Universal Channel, every saturday afternoon followed by two episodes of DS9 and one VOY also dubbed. AXN shows ENT subtitled. And that´s about it.

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 40):
Anyway, now we have DVD boxsets, and all is well, apart from the price.

It´s seems they charge big bucks everywhere. How much for a season in England ? Surely your editions are better presented. Compared to US versions my boxes look visibly poorer in quality. Too bad the imported cost almost 300 dollars a piece  Angry

LTU932

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:51 am

Quoting SBBRTech (Reply 41):
It´s hard to follow the series on TV, and TiVo hasn´t shown up here but I know that today only TNG is aired in english and subtitled in portuguese on Universal Channel, every saturday afternoon followed by two episodes of DS9 and one VOY also dubbed. AXN shows ENT subtitled. And that´s about it.

Down here, they don't even show TNG (never subtitled) and ENT (which fortunately was subtitled). All they show is DS9 and Voyager, and dubbed. Dammit, those people cannot even pronounce "Damar" right. They say "Dumar" and not "Damar".

hawaiian717

Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:52 am

US release is November 20, don't know if it will hit Brazil then too though. It's actually a hybrid DVD/HD-DVD release so you can hold off on buying the HD-DVD player if you want. Personally, I'm not buying either as I plan to wait until the BluRay/HD-DVD format war declares a victor (or at least, players that can handle both get cheap).

Also, a bit of casting news, both reported on trekmovie.com:

Bruce Greenwood will play Captain Christopher Pike
Winona Ryder will play Amanda Grayson (Spock's mother)

SBBRTech

Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:54 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 42):

LTU, when I was living in Sofia in the 90´s my only source of ST was the RTL channel on sat tv. I remember watching parts of german dubbed TNG episodes in deep regret that I hadn´t considered the Goethe Institute more seriously in the past....

Quoting Hawaiian717 (Reply 43):
US release is November 20, don't know if it will hit Brazil then too though

Usually the importers (a.k.a bloodsucking-SOBs-who-despise-any-profit-lower-than-100%) bring them days later.

Quoting Hawaiian717 (Reply 43):
not buying either as I plan to wait until the BluRay/HD-DVD format war declares a victor (or at least, players that can handle both get cheap).

I´m starting to think like that to. It looks like HD will grab the spot first, but I won´t bet my cash on it yet.
But when you say it will be hybrid....oh, the temptation!

What?! Winona?? Is it confirmed or they are still talking?

[Edited 2007-11-09 02:56:22]

petertenthije

Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:22 pm

Quoting SBBRTech (Reply 41):
It´s seems they charge big bucks everywhere. How much for a season in England ? Surely your editions are better presented. Compared to US versions my boxes look visibly poorer in quality. Too bad the imported cost almost 300 dollars a piece

FWIW, in the netherlands you can get them for ~40 to 50 euro per season. Don't ask me why there are differences in prices, probably due to availability. Those are the repacked editions though. So you won't get the ridiculously large and ugly boxes, but regular slimline boxes that will actually fit on your DVD shelve. Not all seasons are out yet but they will be.

You can try www.bol.com as that is the largest Dutch online retailer. A good UK retailer is www.hmv.co.uk. I do hope you have a DVD player that plays region 2 though.

airlinelover

Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:53 pm

http://www6.comcast.net/entertainmen...bd87-d487ba441f94/?cvqh=itn_winona

Winona Ryder is going to be spocks mom..

... can I get a wtf

LTU932

Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:33 pm

Quoting SBBRTech (Reply 44):
LTU, when I was living in Sofia in the 90´s my only source of ST was the RTL channel on sat tv. I remember watching parts of german dubbed TNG episodes in deep regret that I hadn´t considered the Goethe Institute more seriously in the past....

At least the dubbing in German was decent. I'm currently in Costa Rica, and all they show on cable is the occasional, subtitled Star Trek film, and DS9 and VOY dubbed. That's the problem. TNG, DS9 and VOY, even TOS and the films were acceptable in the German dubbed versions, but not in the Spanish dubbed versions.

Quoting Airlinelover (Reply 46):
Winona Ryder is going to be spocks mom..

Come again? Winona as Amanda Grayson? WTF indeed.

Stretch 8

Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:09 am

It's nice to cast young actors in the roles made famous during TOS and the 80's Trek films.

But Star Trek lived and died on the writing.

Without a great story and even better script, this picture will be doomed after its first weekend in theatres.

Zkpilot

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:21 am

Quoting SBBRTech (Reply 44):
I�m starting to think like that to. It looks like HD will grab the spot first, but I won�t bet my cash on it yet.
But when you say it will be hybrid....oh, the temptation!

Doubt it.... mostly due to the PS3, but also because it has a much larger collection of movies available (since most of the studios support it) blu-ray has in most markets around the world outsold HD-DVD 3-1.
With PS3 finally starting to bring out some decent games that can actually use the consoles greater performance, PS3 sales should finally start to pick up some more (which of course will lift blu-ray movie sales).
HD-DVD is trying and is price-cutting etc but I'd bet 70:30 that blu-ray will win the HD war.